New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Anyone here use Boxer to run DOS games on a Mac?

I'm trying to use it to run Elder Scrolls: Arena from the official Elder Scrolls site. It works just fine for Daggerfall but when I try to install Arena I get the message:

Arena106Setup is a Microsoft Windows game or application, which Boxer does not support.
    Will the game therefore run only with dos emulators on a Windows computer or is there a way to get it running on a Mac? I can't find an answer anywhere on the interwebs so I'm asking you guys.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Anyone here use Boxer to run DOS games on a Mac?

I just checked, and the Arena106.exe file is actually a self-extracting RAR--so as long as you have some application which can open RAR files you should be able to use it to manually extract the content. (And no, I don't know why Bethesda decided to put a self-extracting RAR inside a Zip file, just one of those mysteries mankind was not meant to probe...).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Anyone here use Boxer to run DOS games on a Mac?

Thank you, factotum, you are awesome. That did the trick. Why there was a RAR inside a Zip I have no idea... I downloaded a RAR opener and it worked just fine.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!