New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: The better man? There is no such thing [3.5 base class]

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Each head adds 2 HD. For a total of 8 HD if it is a worker or soldier and 10 if it is a queen.

And it can only receive three extra heads if it is a queen. So there you have the illegality. You are capped at 6 HD companions (3/4 of your mutator level, same as cleric BAB).
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazek View Post
    (Snipped for Length)The base creature is a Dark Multiheaded (Pyro) Giant Ant Soldier. I added 2 heads with Multiheaded, bringing it to 6 HD. Neither of those templates changes its type from vermin, so it's still eligible to be a companion. Since the Karish Template gave it feats, I took the Ancient, Undead, and Outsider Mutator feats, giving it 3 mutations for use in Symbiosis. (Snipped for Length)
    I only added 2 heads, for a total of 6HD on a soldier. You may have been thinking of the total of 4 bite attacks, thanks to the one the dragon has as a racial.
    Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    You sir are 30 gallons of awesome in a 10 gallon hat.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ettin in the Playground

I only added 2 heads, for a total of 6HD on a soldier. You may have been thinking of the total of 4 bite attacks, thanks to the one the dragon has as a racial.
    Still illegal. Medium creatures like the giant ant soldier can only receive multiheaded once, and the soldier only becomes large at 5 HD.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

3. - Top - End - #693
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Still illegal. Medium creatures like the giant ant soldier can only receive multiheaded once, and the soldier only becomes large at 5 HD.
    Ah, thank you. I was mistakenly using the Web Enhancement Multiheaded, not the Savage Species, which doesn't seem to have that restriction. In my search for a replacement, I found something even better! I think I'll use a Sword Spider instead.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Ettin in the Playground

But I think I will return Symbiosis to 1/4 as it was originally intended. The chinks are starting to show.

Edit: Done.
    Last edited by Draken; 2013-08-17 at 11:52 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

5. - Top - End - #695
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Yes! I succeeded in getting myself nerfed! Wait.....

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes! I succeeded in getting myself nerfed! Wait.....
    I've done it too Shazek, don't worry! Just release a Homebrew Evolutionist PrC that lets you do what you wanted to do before the nerfing took place. Wait, forget I said that...
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks to Shazek for stress-testing Symbiosis. I couldn't properly balance this thing without you!

Now go rebuild your whole cast of characters, and make me nerf things.

Changelog:
    Ancient Mutations
    - Symbiosis
    ----- All participants must belong to the same creature type now.
    ----- Ability score calculation changed.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

8. - Top - End - #698
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

How did you change the ability score calculations? I don't see anything obviously different.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Ettin in the Playground

How did you change the ability score calculations? I don't see anything obviously different.
    Bonuses from mutations and teratomorphisms are added at to the base scores for calculation, not added later along with named bonuses.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

10. - Top - End - #700
    Orc in the Playground

I've been looking at the Budding Creation and the Living Creation mutations and I have some trouble with using them.

With Budding Creation you can create "stuff" as the Minor Creation spell, and with Living Creation you can animate them as Animated Objects of approriate size, again as the spell. The amount of matter that you can create with Budding (Minor) Creation is expressed in cubic feet per level. I find it pretty difficult to calculate the size of an Animated Object, based on the amount of cubic feet of materials I can create. Could you help me out with this?
    Homebrew:
    The inFAMOUS Conduit base class. Wow I actually finished it...
    The Darksiders base class, based on the videogame with the same name.

I also draw some stuff here, Gamespectre on Deviantart

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RoyVG View Post
    I've been looking at the Budding Creation and the Living Creation mutations and I have some trouble with using them.

With Budding Creation you can create "stuff" as the Minor Creation spell, and with Living Creation you can animate them as Animated Objects of approriate size, again as the spell. The amount of matter that you can create with Budding (Minor) Creation is expressed in cubic feet per level. I find it pretty difficult to calculate the size of an Animated Object, based on the amount of cubic feet of materials I can create. Could you help me out with this?
    Just consider the maximum object size you can create as the area of the animated object you want to make and define its size category accordingly.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

I have two questions about damage reduction:

if I take Damage Reduction then take Material Damage Reduction, does that mean my damage reduction is vulnerable to both magic AND the material, or does it just mean the material replaces the magic?

furthermore, when I take Material Damage Reduction, does it increase my damage reduction by 3 or not?

because I'm confused as to how its supposed to work, and being vulnerable to two things doesn't seem like an upgrade...
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #703
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I have two questions about damage reduction:

if I take Damage Reduction then take Material Damage Reduction, does that mean my damage reduction is vulnerable to both magic AND the material, or does it just mean the material replaces the magic?

furthermore, when I take Material Damage Reduction, does it increase my damage reduction by 3 or not?

because I'm confused as to how its supposed to work, and being vulnerable to two things doesn't seem like an upgrade...
    Material Damage Reduction upgrades any damage reduction you have, so that beating it requires [Whatever was already needed] and [Chosen Material].
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

14. - Top - End - #704
    Bugbear in the Playground

One of the most iconic monster archetypes is that of the truly titanic creature. The Kaiju, the Giant Robot, the Beast of the Apocalypse. And yet, using the basic mutations, actually playing such a creature often devolves into spamming Crush and stacking a ton of passive effects. So here's a little something for everyone who gets a kick out of holding the world in the palm of their hand - and smashing it to pieces.

The Worldshaker
    "SKREEEEEOOOONK!"
    -Gojila, a Worldshaker

Evolutionists differ wildly in their perceptions of the perfect form. One might seek to stand with the eternal, unyielding vigilance of a mighty oak, while another might seek to harness the simmering elemental fury of a volcano. Some of these pursuits are highly esoteric in nature, perfecting fine details of body and mind in pursuit of a subtle, exquisitely-crafted ideal.

Some are not.

A worldshaker cares nothing for subtlety, or efficiency, or a quiet road to enlightened ascension. Hers is the path of the unchained beast - of the ravenous Purple Worm, the rampaging dragon, and the endless fury of the Tarrasque itself. She crushes cities underfoot, and tears out mountains by their roots - and woe to those would would stand in her way.

Prerequisites:
    Special: Large size or larger
    Special: Must possess a natural armor bonus of at least +6, fast healing of at least 1, spell resistance of at least 20, and some quantity of damage reduction
    Special: Must possess the Mutant Ascendancy class feature

HD: d8
    {table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special
    1 | +0 | +0 | +0 | +0 | Mutations, Size Increase
    2 | +1 | +0 | +0 | +0 | Mutations, Terrible Evolution
    3 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +1 | Mutations
    4 | +2 | +1 | +1 | +1 | Mutations, Terrible Evolution
    5 | +2 | +1 | +1 | +1 | Mutations, Size Increase
    6 | +3 | +2 | +2 | +2 | Mutations, Terrible Evolution
    7 | +3 | +2 | +2 | +2 | Mutations
    8 | +4 | +2 | +2 | +2 | Mutations, Terrible Evolution
    9 | +4 | +3 | +3 | +3 | Mutations, Size Increase
    10 | +5 | +3 | +3 | +3 | Mutations, Worldshaker Perfection[/table]

Class Skills (2 + Int Modifier): The worldshaker can chose the class skills of any one of her base classes to be her class skills for this class, this choice cannot be changed.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A worldshaker gains no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Mutations: The worldshaker gains three mutations at 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 8th levels, and four mutations at each other level.

Size Increase (Ex): At 1st level, and again at 5th and 9th level, the worldshaker’s size category increases by one, to a maximum size of Colossal. She gains a +2 size bonus to strength, gains a size modifier to attack rolls, armor class, grapple checks and hide checks and her reach changes accordingly to her new size. Furthermore, the evolutionist gains additional bonuses to her strength and natural armor according to her new size, as seen on the following table:

{table=head]Former Size|New Size| Str Adjustment| NA adjustment
    Fine| Diminutive| +2| +1
    Diminutive| Tiny| +2| +1
    Tiny| Small| +2| +1
    Small| Medium| +2| +1
    Medium| Large| +2| +1
    Large| Huge| +2| +1
    Huge| Gargantuan| +4| +2
    Gargantuan| Colossal| +8| +4[/table]

These increases in size, and their accompanying bonuses, do not stack with those granted by the Size Increase II or Size Increase III teratomorphisms.

Terrible Evolution: Shaping themselves in emulation of the fiercest and most terrible of all monsters, the worldshaker gradually adopts a form every bit as unique and terrible as that of those she emulates. Unless otherwise noted, these abilities are extraordinary in nature. At 2nd level, and again at 4th, 6th, and 8th levels, the worldshaker gains one of the following abilities:

Spoiler
    Show
    Belly of the Beast: The worldshaker must possess the Swallow Whole mutation to select this ability. When the tarrasque feasts, it dines upon armies. Nations are its table, and the sticks and stones of mortals are nothing more than fleeting distractions from the sating of its eternal hunger. As a full-round action, the worldshaker may enter a feeding frenzy, making a bite attack and swallow whole attempt against any number of creatures within reach of her bite natural weapon. If a creature is too large to swallow whole, she may still make a bite attack against it. Additionally, the worldshaker’s gizzard may hold a number of additional creatures of the largest size it could normally hold (or an equivalent number of smaller creatures) equal to one half her class level. Lastly, the worldshaker’s gizzard’s AC increases to [10 + the worldshaker’s natural armor], gains the benefit of any damage reduction or hardness she may possess, and may sustain an additional [2 * mutator level] points of damage before being torn open.

Bloody Resurgence: Lesser creatures strike against the worldshaker in all their pathetic excuse for fury, hoping to bring her low beneath a mountain of corpses. But she cares not, for every blow against her does naught but whet her appetite for further slaughter. Whenever the worldshaker’s hit point total is less than 75% of her maximum hit point value, any extraordinary fast healing she may possess is doubled. If her health is below 50% of its maximum value, such fast healing is tripled, rather than doubled. If her health is below 25% of its maximum value, it is quadrupled, rather than doubled. If the worldshaker possesses a negative hit point total, any such fast healing is multiplied by five, rather than doubled. Fast healing from any supernatural source, such as that resulting from spell effects or magical items, is unaffected by this this ability. Additionally, each of the worldshaker's class levels counts as two mutator levels for the purpose of determining how many times she can take the Fast Healing mutation. She does not gain this benefit of an increased mutator level for any other purpose.

Capricious Embrace: What are the lesser creatures of the world to a being of such power and majesty as the worldshaker, if not toys to be battered and broken for her amusement? If the worldshaker possesses the Rock Throwing mutation, she may use a grappled creature at least two size categories smaller than her as a viable projectile, dealing appropriate damage to both the throw’s target and the impromptu missile. If the worldshaker possesses the Mutilate mutation, she may make a Mutilate attempt as a swift action against any creature she has in a grapple, without first needing to connect with a bite attack. If the worldshaker possesses the Slime mutation, any creature she has in a grapple must hold its breath or begin drowning in the substance. If the worldshaker possesses the Web mutation, she may, as a full-round action, expend a daily use of her web ability to cocoon a creature she has in a grapple with sticky webbing. This cocoon paralyzes the target, preventing movement or physical action. A creature may burst this cocoon with a strength check, or attempt to worm out of it with an escape artist check, each method functioning identically to an escape from a thrown Web (against the same DCs). If the worldshaker possesses the Swallow Whole ability, she may use a swift action to toss a creature she has in a grapple into her gizzard, swallowing it without need for further grapple attempts. Whenever the worldshaker makes use of a breath weapon, any creature she has in a grapple is automatically considered to be within the area of effect, and does not receive a reflex save for half damage.

Dreadful Omen: The worldshaker must possess the Frightful Presence mutation to select this ability. As a full-round action, the worldshaker may unleash a terrifying omen of her arrival. Whatever form this omen takes – an earth-shattering roar, a rain of blood, or a comet burning with sickly radiance, it is witnessed by all creatures within a radius of one mile. Any creature possessing [worldshaker’s HD – 4] or fewer dice that witnesses the omen must make a will saving throw against a DC equal to the DC of the worldshaker’s frightful presence. Creatures that fail this saving throw are frightened for ten minutes, until they are more than a mile from the worldshaker, or until they are successfully rallied. Rallying a group of frightened creatures is a [Charisma + Commander Rating] check against a DC of 20 (to return them to the shaken condition) or 25 (to return them to normal). Full details on the rally action may be found in the Heroes of Battle supplement. Regardless of its success or failure in saving against this effect, any creature subjected to a worldshaker’s Dreadful Omen gains immunity to further applications of the ability for 24 hours. This is a supernatural ability.

Glorious Monolith: To most, the footfalls of a worldshaker are the harbinger of a terrible calamity – but to those under her protection, they signal the arrival of an ally mighty beyond all others. Any ally who can see the worldshaker gains a +2 bonus to saves against fear effects for every size category above medium she is. Additionally, the worldshaker gains a size bonus to Bluff and Diplomacy equal to her size bonus to Intimidate, as her words ring with a strength and power that lesser creatures cannot ignore. Further, if the worldshaker possesses a Leadership score, it is increased by one for every size category above medium she is. Lastly, if the worldshaker possesses a commander rating, increase it by one for every two size categories above medium she is. Full details on commander rating may be found in the Heroes of Battle supplement.

Imperious Grip: A worldshaker’s concerns are too grand to be stymied by lesser creatures, and she may crush a mortal in her hands with no more thought or difficulty than a child might give to squashing an ant. As a swift action, the worldshaker may attempt to initiate a grapple against a creature within reach using a natural weapon with which she possesses Improved Grab. She must connect with a melee touch attack as normal to initiate this grapple, which otherwise resolves itself identically to any other Improved Grab attempt. Further, the worldshaker may reduce the usual -20 penalty to grapple attempts made with a single natural weapon by 4 for every size category larger than her grapple target she is.

Living Avalanche: The worldshaker must possess a Tail natural weapon and the Trample mutation to select this ability. Mortals do not fight an avalanche. They do not seek to take up arms against a hurricane. And when the worldshaker moves, it is as an unstoppable cascade of whirling, furious force. Whenever the worldshaker uses a move action to move, she may make a single tail attack at her full attack bonus against each enemy to come within reach of her tail at any point during the movement. She may not make more than one attack against any given creature with a single move, and she makes only a single attack roll, comparing it to the AC of each of her targets.

Lord of the Deeps: Though the common mortal, thinking of monsters, will no doubt first picture the dire beasts that rule the earth and sky, there are more terrible entities still. They sleep beneath the waves in the long dark of the ocean floor, and when they rouse themselves, a tide of ruin washes over the world. The worldshaker exudes an aura with a radius of [100 * class level] feet, which she may suppress or resume manifesting as a swift action. Creatures within this aura must make a will save with a DC equal to [10 + 1/2 mutator level + Cha modifier], or lose any swim speed they may possess. Success grants immunity to this effect for 24 hours. Further, any creatures swimming within this aura, regardless of whether they succeed on the previous saving throw, are inexorably either drawn 30’ towards the worldshaker or pushed 30’ away from her at the beginning of each of her turns. The worldshaker chooses which direction she wishes this ‘current’ to flow when she manifests her aura, and may reverse its direction as a swift action. Creatures within the radius of her aura attempting to swim against this current treat their movement as being through difficult terrain. Creatures under the influence of this aura are fully aware of its effects (though not necessarily its origin). This is a supernatural ability.

Meteoric Blow: Lesser creatures may bite and claw at one another in paltry battle, but when a worldshaker unleashes their assault, the world itself trembles. Whenever the worldshaker makes a successful attack with a natural weapon, she may choose to strike with such force as to bury those nearby in a cloud of rubble and debris. If she does so, creatures within a 5’ radius of the target (other than the worldshaker herself) take damage equal to half the damage dealt by the triggering attack. A successful reflex save against a DC equal to [10 + 1/2 mutator level + Str modifier] negates this damage. For every two size categories the worldshaker is above large, the radius of this effect increases by an additional 5’. If the worldshaker possesses the Bash mutation, she may use this ability in conjunction with a Bash attack, just as if it were a natural weapon.

Mountain Toss: The worldshaker must possess the Rock Throwing mutation to select this ability. As a full-round action, the worldshaker may hurl an enormous slab, bundle, or mound of stone (or other suitably heavy substance). This attack possesses a range increment equal to that of the worldshaker’s rock throwing ability, and targets a 5’ radius burst rather than a single target. Creatures within the target area may attempt a reflex saving throw with a DC equal to [10 + 1/2 mutator level + Str modifier]. On a failed save, these creatures take damage equal to the worldshaker’s slam damage and are knocked prone. A successful save halves this damage, and allows a creature to avoid falling prone. This special attack benefits from any effects that would modify the worldshaker’s slam attacks, as well as any effects that would benefit attacks with thrown weapons. For every size category the worldshaker is above large, the radius of the target area increases by 5’. Additionally, the range increment of the worldshaker’s rock throwing ability increases by an additional 30’ for every size category above medium she is.

Primordial Idol: Before the coming of shining priests and their distant, ethereal gods, mortals paid tribute unto the great beasts above all others. The ancient world was a place of capricious titans, feasting on the prayers born from awe and terror – and as the worldshaker’s power grows, she knows well that such an age will one day come again. The worldshaker is able to hear prayers directed to her, regardless of distance or planar boundaries. Additionally, by performing a ritual requiring one hour, at least [Worldshaker’s HD * 5] HD worth of participants (none of whom may be more than 10’ from any other participant), and a fragment of the worldshaker’s physical body (which may be as small as a single scale or vial of blood) worshippers of the worldshaker may attempt to summon her. She is intuitively aware of the location to which she would be summoned, and may accept or decline the summons as she sees fit. If the worldshaker accepts the summons of her followers, she is instantly transported to a location of her choosing within 100’ of any member of the summoning circle. The powerful influx of devotion generated by the process instantly restores the worldshaker to full health upon a successful summoning. If the worldshaker is dead when the ritual is performed, a successful summons will restore her to life without consequence. This is a supernatural effect.

Ruinous Wake: The worldshaker must possess the Trample mutation to select this ability. Whenever the worldshaker moves on land, she may choose to rip the very earth asunder with the force of her footsteps, converting any terrain in spaces she moves through into difficult terrain until such time as it is repaired. This damage to terrain inflicted by this ability only functions if the worldshaker is actually touching the ground – she cannot apply it while moving with a fly or swim speed. If she uses this ability while moving via a burrow speed, only the interior of her own tunnel is converted into difficult terrain. If she possesses the Crush mutation, she may apply the effects of this ability to the squares in which she lands when executing a crush attack. If she possesses the Bash mutation, she may apply this effect to the squares occupied by the target of a bash attack, regardless of whether the attack hits or misses. The worldshaker is not impeded by difficult terrain created through this ability.

Sovereign Beast: Just as lumps of mud and stone are drawn to orbit the resplendent glory of the sun, a worldshaker’s former kin are inexorably drawn to her transcendent might. The worldshaker gains the ability to rebuke or command creatures of their both their original creature type and that specified by her mutant apotheosis (if applicable), as an evil cleric rebukes or commands undead. She may treat her mutator level as her cleric level for this purpose. The worldshaker may use this ability as often as she likes, but must wait one minute between uses to gather her aura of terror anew. This is a supernatural ability.

Swordbreaker: The King of Beasts does not suffer the petty flailing of the fools that stand in its way. Those who would challenge it without might to match its own are simply crushed and forgotten, accomplishing nothing. Whenever the worldshaker takes hit point damage from any source that is equal to or less than [her mutator level * 2] after the application of energy resistance, damage reduction, and hardness, that damage is entirely negated. Any other effects carried by the negated damage source, such as poison, or the secondary effects of a spell or maneuver, resolve as usual. Additionally, when a non-magical melee weapon’s damage is negated in this manner, that weapon immediately breaks as if it had been reduced to 0 HP by a successful sunder attempt.

Tempestuous Utterance: The voice of a worldshaker is thunder. Her breath is a hurricane, and the lesser creatures of the world can do naught but tremble and fall at her meekest of roars. As a standard action, the worldshaker may exhale a cone of forceful wind. This functions as if the worldshaker had made a trip attempt against every target within a 30’ cone. Each target successfully tripped by this ability is swept off their feet by the worldshaker’s breath, allowing her to make a bull rush attempt against them, pushing them an appropriate distance if she is successful. The worldshaker does not need to connect with a touch attack for either of the combat maneuvers entailed in this ability, nor does she need to move to execute a bull rush. Structures within this cone are put under pressures equivalent to those of a hurricane-force wind, which may damage or destroy some. For every size category she is above medium, the length of the cone increases by 30’. Once the worldshaker uses this effect, she must wait for five rounds before she can use it again. If the worldshaker possesses a breath weapon, she may apply any effect she could apply to her breath weapon to this ability. Furthermore, she may choose to inflict the blowback imparted by this ability as part of a normal breath weapon, though she must still abide by the five-round recharge time for a Tempestuous Utterance.

Titan’s Mantle: The worldshaker must possess the Grove mutation to select this ability. Rather than establish her grove in a fixed location, the worldshaker may choose to carry it with her. If she chooses this option, her grove does not possess a radius of effect. Instead, any objects the worldshaker carries, and any creatures riding her, are considered to be within the boundaries of her grove. Additionally, while carrying her grove, if the worldshaker possesses the Roots teratomorphism, an area with a radius of [5 + 5 per size category she is above large] feet centered on the worldshaker is considered to be within the limits of her grove so long as she is rooted. Manifesting a carried grove requires one hour of concentration, and dismisses any previously existing grove just as creating an ordinary grove would.

Unstoppable Force: The worldshaker must possess the Trample mutation to select this ability. Whenever the worldshaker attempts to move through some physical obstacle, including walls, doors, ceilings, or even difficult terrain that could conceivably be destroyed, she may deal damage equal to her Slam damage (including any anti-object modifiers from Smash) to the offending object. If this would destroy the object, the worldshaker may continue her movement unimpeded. If she fails to destroy the obstruction, it continues to impede her as normal (though it remains vulnerable to further attempts).

Worldshaker Perfection (Ex): The ants no doubt have many names for you. Titan. Colossus. Behemoth. Let them scribble such epithets as they wish - you have no need of their shrill heralds and musty tomes. The earth shudders with your every footfall, and your shadow darkens the sky. Sages have no words to describe one such as yourself - some would no doubt claim your very existence to be an impossibility. But exist you do, and your power is beyond reproach.

At 10th level, a worldshaker increases in size once more, surpassing the limits of the merely ‘colossal’ to become a category unto herself. For all purposes related to size, and any modifiers which scale linearly with size category (such as grapple, intimidate, or hide modifies) she is considered to be one size category larger than colossal. In addition, her facing and reach each increase by 10’ (for a total of a 40’ facing). Her size penalty to attack rolls and AC increases by 6 (for a final penalty of -14). Her Natural Armor increases by +6. Lastly, her Strength increases by +12, and her Constitution increases by +6.
    Last edited by Selinia; 2014-01-25 at 12:36 AM.
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

15. - Top - End - #705
    Halfling in the Playground

This class is wonderful. I hereby praise Draken and anyone who brewed PrCs or helped in any way this project
    I'd like to use this material in the D&D 3.5 adaptation of the Ravnica (MtG) world, in particular for the creation of Simic test subjects; that would turn the fluff of the class almost upside-down, though, with the evolution seen as something that can be inflicted.

A little clarification: in the Quills Ex-Mutation entry, each quill must be treated separately for the resolution of Reflex saves? The determinative article ("the quill") addressing a potential bunch of objects slightly confounds me...
    I apologize in advance for any grammar and technical language mistake; English is not my mother language.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Huey Nomure View Post
    This class is wonderful. I hereby praise Draken and anyone who brewed PrCs or helped in any way this project
    I'd like to use this material in the D&D 3.5 adaptation of the Ravnica (MtG) world, in particular for the creation of Simic test subjects; that would turn the fluff of the class almost upside-down, though, with the evolution seen as something that can be inflicted.

A little clarification: in the Quills Ex-Mutation entry, each quill must be treated separately for the resolution of Reflex saves? The determinative article ("the quill") addressing a potential bunch of objects slightly confounds me...
    That is an option for players and DMs. If you want, you can roll a save for each quill. If you want to save time, you can roll one save for all quills in any one strike.

And feel free to use the class for the adaptation, even with changed fluff! Just link back to the original (which you probably will, because this thing is colossal and copying everything would be crazy).
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

17. - Top - End - #707
    Halfling in the Playground

That is an option for players and DMs. If you want, (which you probably will, because this thing is colossal and copying everything would be crazy).
    Erm, can you believe that I'm going to translate the whole base class, including new feats? Some of my players have problems understanding the English technical wording (or English as a whole), so...
    I make sure they know that the material I use is not my original work, and I'll be happy to hand them this link if they're interested in the original material.
    I apologize in advance for any grammar and technical language mistake; English is not my mother language.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm not entirely sure I understand the karish Teratomorphs... is the Evolutionist creating an entirely new creature, or giving the template to an existing vermin/ooze?

19. - Top - End - #709
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Theroc View Post
    I'm not entirely sure I understand the karish Teratomorphs... is the Evolutionist creating an entirely new creature, or giving the template to an existing vermin/ooze?
    He is creating an entirely new creature.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

20. - Top - End - #710
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

That makes it relatively like the Progenitor PrC, only much more limited in scope. Neat.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Another random question, which is really most likely up to the DM. When the progenitor spawns a new species... how do they determine their base racial abilities? Or is that what the evolutionist mutations cover? As in, the evolutionist levels are the template one uses to endow their new race?

I ask because I'm playing an Evolutionist in a campaign and creating a new species for a future campaign set in that world is a goal of mine.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Theroc View Post
    Another random question, which is really most likely up to the DM. When the progenitor spawns a new species... how do they determine their base racial abilities? Or is that what the evolutionist mutations cover? As in, the evolutionist levels are the template one uses to endow their new race?

I ask because I'm playing an Evolutionist in a campaign and creating a new species for a future campaign set in that world is a goal of mine.
    Covered by mutations.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

23. - Top - End - #713
    Ettin in the Playground

This class is really well thought of and seems like a really fun thing to play, it also inspires me on creating new things. One concern I have is the power of this in gestalt, it might be too high, when combined with classes with better progressions, but that is a minor nitpick and hard to solve.

One question though, does Symbiosis work with creatures of the same augmented subtype? For example if an evolutionist evolved into a fey and another evolved into an aberration but both where at some point humans would they be able to form a symbiosis?

Also, the evolution system is really cool, would it be okay if I replicate it to create other base classes?
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

24. - Top - End - #714
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    This class is really well thought of and seems like a really fun thing to play, it also inspires me on creating new things. One concern I have is the power of this in gestalt, it might be too high, when combined with classes with better progressions, but that is a minor nitpick and hard to solve.

One question though, does Symbiosis work with creatures of the same augmented subtype? For example if an evolutionist evolved into a fey and another evolved into an aberration but both where at some point humans would they be able to form a symbiosis?

Also, the evolution system is really cool, would it be okay if I replicate it to create other base classes?
    It is actually called the Mutation system. And I am working on two more base classes with it now. One with very few mutations that can change more or less freely and the Genemancer, who has a book of mutations (a Genetic Codex). Just to avoid future overlap.

As for Gestalt, I know full well the potential issues. But good progression classes are a small concern. The real 'problem' is that more than anything, Evolutionist can shore any disadvantage of the class it is combined with without adding much in the way of ability score requirements (unless the other side is wisdom based). The problem is more that it is pretty much always the best option for one side of a gestalt.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ettin in the Playground

I was thinking of some sort of Gearlord, infusing gears with elementals from the different planes to do the heavy lifting. In the sense it won't evolve itself but its equipment, and although it would partially draw from the construct and elemental lists it will probably need some more things.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

26. - Top - End - #716
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Question on crown of Vermin

Can it be... disabled by the evolutionist? Or do they have to beat themselves up to turn it off?

27. - Top - End - #717
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I was thinking of giving some monsters evolutions, to change things up a bit. What do you guys think a reasonable CR adjustment would be for giving a monster, say, one mutation/HD at a mutator level of 1/2HD? Two mutations/HD at full mutator level?

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    So, I was thinking of giving some monsters evolutions, to change things up a bit. What do you guys think a reasonable CR adjustment would be for giving a monster, say, one mutation/HD at a mutator level of 1/2HD? Two mutations/HD at full mutator level?
    Check the rules for mutator level. If you have levels in any class that grants mutations, any racial HD you have also gives full mutator level.

Anyway. You probably shouldn't probably treat it as the Half-X templates. For 1 mutation/RHD go with: +1 for 1-5HD, +2 for 6-10 HD and +3 for 11+HD. 2 mutations/RHD, raise these CR increases by +1 per tier.

Do not add mutations for class levels. That is what evolutionist levels are about.

------

Crown of Vermin, as it stands, cannot be deactivated. It is always on.
    Last edited by Draken; 2013-09-14 at 02:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ogre in the Playground

For 1 mutation/RHD go with: +1 for 1-5HD, +2 for 6-10 HD and +3 for 11+HD. 2 mutations/RHD, raise these CR increases by +1 per tier.
    Im so gonna use this, thanks
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

30. - Top - End - #720
    Titan in the Playground

Material Damage Reduction upgrades any damage reduction you have, so that beating it requires [Whatever was already needed] and [Chosen Material].
    so…

they would need BOTH magic and silver to hurt me? as in, it makes the requirements to over come it more complex?

hrm, that actually makes sense. I thought it was an "OR" thing.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".