New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Post [3.5] Daemon's Seal Race: The Narzul PEACH

The Narzul

"You have crossed the narzul. You are now their prey."

When the world hates that which it sees as barbaric, uncivilized, and violent, a primal species cannot help but adapt. Sophisticated, yet still brutish, the narzal are a militant species of loosely organized warriors who dwell in the vast expanse of the Underground, a land they themselves call Ungarog. Narzal society is unforgiving and hopelessly centered around combat; he who is weaker then his rivals is cut down, and his corpse used as a rung in the ladder to the top. Despite this, the narzal have proven themselves both creative and capable of practical organization. Constant civil war led them to create the first true fortresses, and they still have the best disciplined military in the known world.

Personality: Narzul are gruff and commanding to those that they see as their inferiors or enemies, and will lash out quickly. However, if one can earn their respect they are steadfast companions. On the other hand, if you make an enemy out of a narzul, even through the most minor conceived slight, it will take nothing less then saving said narzul's life to turn him from an enemy to a friend.

Physical Description: To humans, narzul are massive, standing somewhere between 7 and 8 feet tall. They have large front teeth, almost like tusks, and very dark, almost black skin. The vast majority of narzul are incredibly muscular and strong as a result of their very physical lifestyle.

Relations: (leaving for Virdish, who requested this race for his campaign setting)

Alignment: Narzuls actually lean quite heavily towards lawful since their military, and society in general, emphasizes discipline. Few of them are good due to their violent nature, but most are too practical to lean towards being evil either.

Narzul Lands: Narzul dwell underground to escape the constant wars against neighboring races. Within the Underground they are divided into multiple well organized city states which are constantly feuding amongst themselves.

Religion: Narzul worship their ancestors. Unsurprisingly, it is often the greatest warriors among their ancestors who are venerated the most.

Adventurers: Narzul adventure for the sheer thrill of combat, and oftentimes to see the world outside the Underground. However, narzul adventurers are actually relatively rare since most are made to join the military.

Narzul Racial Traits
    +2 Strength, -2 Charisma. Narzul are immensely strong but their gruff and violent tendencies make them hard to get along with.
    Medium. As medium creatures, narzul have no special bonuses or penalties based on size.
    Base land speed of 30 feet.
    Darkvision 60 feet. Narzul have the unique ability to view the infrared spectrum via a second pair of eyelids, an ability they gained after living in the Underground.
    +2 racial bonus on all Climb, Jump, and Spot checks. Narzul are used to climbing and jumping around the various formations in the underground and their infrared abilities grant them a bonus to spot checks.
    Call Ancestor: A narzul can, once per day as a swift action, call upon his ancestor to gains one of the following benefits: a +2 bonus to all saves, a +2 bonus to Strength, a +10 foot bonus to his land speed, or a +2 bonus on all skill checks. These benefits last for 1 round per HD the narzul possesses.
    Martial Race: A narzul gains Martial Study as a bonus feat at 1st level. The selected maneuver must be from either the Stone Dragon or Tiger Claw disciplines.
    Favored Class: Warblade.

Hope you guys - especially Virdish - like it!
    Last edited by Empedocles; 2012-05-03 at 08:39 PM.
    Extended Signature here.

Darth Vader avatar by Kymme

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: [3.5] Daemon's Seal Race: The Narzal PEACH

I love the feel of them minor Nitpick though. Their skin is supposed to be midnight black. Other then that It is awesome. I had actually had them aboveground in current time but I like the idea of most of their populace still being below ground, giving them a certain mystique. Overall amazing. Official Narzul for Daemon's Seal.

3. - Top - End - #3

Post Re: [3.5] Daemon's Seal Race: The Narzal PEACH

Quote Originally Posted by Virdish View Post
    I love the feel of them minor Nitpick though. Their skin is supposed to be midnight black. Other then that It is awesome. I had actually had them aboveground in current time but I like the idea of most of their populace still being below ground, giving them a certain mystique. Overall amazing. Official Narzul for Daemon's Seal.
    Yeah sorry about the skin. Ill drop them in the "What Do YOU think My character looks like" thread at the WotC forums and see if someone can fix that for me.

Glad you like it though
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

How about this for an image?
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    How about this for an image?
    Thanks I just got a dark skinned version of the original, but I'll use the suggested one for a paragon class.
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

6. - Top - End - #6

annnndddddd they now have blackish skin
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Once again, great work, Vilpich. It is too close thematically to orcs and hobgoblins for my taste, but still, very interesting!

Minor nitpick:

"You have crossed the narzal. You are now their prey."
    After all, is it "Narzal" or "Narzul"?
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Larkas View Post
    Once again, great work, Vilpich. It is too close thematically to orcs and hobgoblins for my taste, but still, very interesting!

Minor nitpick:

After all, is it "Narzal" or "Narzul"?
    I'm trying to decide....

As for the thematic similarities to orcs and hobgoblins, my concept was pretty much orc+hobgoblin+Rome=Narzu since this was intended to replace the orc in the Daemon's Seal campaign setting.

Glad you like it
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

9. - Top - End - #9

Narzul is better flows easier. As for the closeness to orcs it was indeed intended. They are a more playable race then orcs but they still have the dark tone that makes them a barely accepted race in eridia. So long as they mostly only kill each other they are ignored.
    Last edited by Virdish; 2012-05-03 at 10:27 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Post Re: [3.5] Daemon's Seal Race: The Narzul PEACH

Edited the title accordingly
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread