New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default The Devil with the Cold Iron Gun

Okay in order to do this we'll need some backstory.

In the campaign my friend is running known as the "war campaign" in our circle, we are playing as the last monarchy in a war torn area of the material plane known currently as "Japan". (Sengoku Rance)

There are currently only two things that keep our monarchy afloat compared to every other state which is either a dictatorship military state, a democracy (saints), theocracy (monks), or just plain nuts (undead, aberrations, drow).

We are 1. The only state with large amounts of non-normal races, we can field orc barbarians, drow wizards, halfling scouts, and so on.

And 2. One of the PC's, one of the Princes "Sabin Stratos" has invented a new type of weapon....the early firearm (Pathfinder Ultimate combat 1). So we are able to field people with muskets, pistols, etc.

Ultimately the Princes, Alex and Sabin have a Aasimar Cleric working under them...a cleric of Bel, and it has come to their attention that the infernal forces fighting in the Blood War do NOT currently use Guns.

Iseria (the cleric) asked for a diplomat to be sent in order to discuss the sale of the new technology to Bel's forces.

So here's the question...what do we ask for?

I'm thinking of starting out big, something the DM would never give like asking for legion devils and such, and then basically haggling down to what we actually decide on, but here's the thing, it needs to be either really big, or continuous because they can just reverse engineer the gun.

So what would you want in exchange for giving the infernal armies guns?

(P.S the campaign is an evil one, so you have no moral outrage at this sort of deal).
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-04-30 at 06:22 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Devil with the Cold Iron Gun

Honestly I'm suprised that Bel or any other devil is even interested in fire-arms. Lemures are too stupid to use them, and most of the demons that they'd be turned against have enough DR to make the damage of a rifle little more than an annoyance. Anyway, I would imagine that a detatchemnt of lemures and their handler wouldn't be too out of line. Say a legion or so.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Honestly I'm suprised that Bel or any other devil is even interested in fire-arms. Lemures are too stupid to use them, and most of the demons that they'd be turned against have enough DR to make the damage of a rifle little more than an annoyance. Anyway, I would imagine that a detatchemnt of lemures and their handler wouldn't be too out of line. Say a legion or so.
    Legion devils use bloody longswords! I'd think a musket would be a huge improvement! Just swap weapon focus (longsword) for exotic weapon proficiency with some training.

I mean 1d8 + 3 is better than 1d12, but if you attack with a musket within the first range it's a touch attack. Combine this with some cold iron bullets and the demons be begging for mercy!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Sounds like the name of the Big Bad in an James Bond parody-

"The Fiend with the Cold Iron Gun .... Will get it done!"
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post

That's kinda what I was going for. :D

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Personally, I'd trade the firearms for infernal transformation. Regeneration, DR, and spell like abilities. Ideally, try to get some sort of rank within the abyssal power structure that allows you to command weaker devils. A full battalion is unlikely, but infernal commandos could have their uses.

At the very least, you'd have a good retirement plan.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Drive a hard bargain, this could turn the tide of the blood war.

Keep them a step behind you in tech, meaning you can mass produce pepperbox and revolving guns before they're allowed muskets.
    Their force multiplier is their natural abilities, yours is your technology.

Also draft up several contracts with airtight wording so that they can't betray you. Ensure that they're magically backed up.

Sell them the weapons themselves, not the plans, that way you can build in safe guards that means that they can't turn the weapons against you, such as having a part of the mechanism be made of the glass-like-substance that can shatter with a command word.
    This ensures that you have the advantage when they get the gear and try to betray you.

Get transformation for your command and the promise of major reinforcements and clandestine operations from their forces.
    A succubi in your opponents' courts will really jack their plans up and Lemures can soak a fair amount of punishment as a meat shield before they drop thanks to DR. Erinyes, particularly with firearms, make excellent anti-air and anti-artillery troops.

If the devils ever try to intimidate you, you can always threaten to tell the demons the disarming words.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ask for the control of a single Fiendish dragon, perferably in the upper age catagories. Of all the places in Hell, Avernus would probably have the most for the point of riding them, but if your fighting other nations whats better than fly-bys by a gigantic airborn lizerd to distract your foes while you killing the enemy nobles yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post

made me think of Hellboy.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

1: Make Guns
    2: Make Pact with Devils for guns
    In exchange for help such as forces, fiendish transformations, guarantees that if/when you die you all become high ranking Devils yourselves, and other services as needed
    3: Begin work on modern firearms
    4: Sell FireLances to other nations for far more then there worth
    5: Prepare your armies and begin manufacturing large scale
    6: ???
    7: Profit!

And yeah that is about it.
    Take various contracts and binding rules/rituals to make sure they don't.
    Also be very firm and lawful yourself showing respect etc.
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't