Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Flexible Saves [3.5, Feats]

A simple set of feats, intended for use by characters that have difficulty with a particular type. Any input would be appreciated.

Objective: Create feats that allow options for characters with weakness in a particular save, without making it an optimal choice otherwise.

Flexible Save Feats can be used a number of times per day equal to the number of Flexible Save Feats you have.

Metabolic Resistance
    Your body is built for reaction, and you can use that to your advantage.
    Prerequisites: Your base and effective Reflex save is greater than your Fortitude save
    Benefit: You may use your Reflex save where you would normally need a Fortitude save. Abilities and features that would completely negate an effect on a successful save do not work in conjunction with this feat.

Reactive Mind
    You are used to the effects of adrenaline on your body, and can use it to defend your mind.
    Prerequisites: Your base and effective Reflex save is greater than your Will save
    Benefit: You may use your Reflex save where you would normally need a Will save. Abilities and features that would completely negate an effect on a successful save do not work in conjunction with this feat.

Like Stone
    You trust the strength of your body, and can shrug off what most would run from.
    Prerequisites: Your base and effective Fortitude save is greater than your Reflex save
    Benefit: You may use your Fortitude save where you would normally need a Reflex save. Abilities and features that would completely negate an effect on a successful save do not work in conjunction with this feat.

As Body, so Mind
    You are used to shrugging off things that should stop you, and can do so against mental effects as well.
    Prerequisites: Your base and effective Fortitude save is greater than your Will save
    Benefit: You may use your Fortitude save where you would normally need a Will save. Abilities and features that would completely negate an effect on a successful save do not work in conjunction with this feat.

Focused Dodge
    Your mind is always active, which helps when you need to move quickly.
    Prerequisites: Your base and effective Will save is greater than your Reflex save
    Benefit: You may use your Will save where you would normally need a Reflex save. Abilities and features that would completely negate an effect on a successful save do not work in conjunction with this feat.

Mind Rules Body
    Your will is strong enough to stop you body from weakening.
    Prerequisites: Your base and effective Will save is greater than your Fortitude save
    Benefits: You may use your Will save where you would normally need a Fortitude save. Abilities and features that would completely negate an effect on a successful save do not work in conjunction with this feat.

Master of Flexibility
    You are more skilled than most at avoiding effects in unusual ways.
    Prerequisites: One or more Flexible Save Feats
    Benefit: You may active your Flexible Save Feats an additional time per day. This also counts as a Flexible Save Feat when calculating the total number of times per day a Flexible Save Feat can be used.
    Last edited by Winds; 2012-05-04 at 10:09 PM.
    Games I'm in:

Spoiler
    Show
    Askaretha's Ascension as Vaishirth

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Flexible Saves [3.5, Feats]

Master of Flexibility should allow you to spend a use of a Flexibility feat to use Evasion/Mettle with a replaced save.

And maybe have all the feats share a pool of uses? So if you have Focused Dodge and Mind Rules Body, you could use them collectively 2/day?
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    Due to time constraints, I will be away from the forums until early in January. Take care until then.

3. - Top - End - #3

Hmm. Part of the reason for not allowing Evasion/Mettle is that there's no similar ability for Will saves. I'll consider that. However, a combined pool for those feats does make sense. I will change the feats to match that.
    Games I'm in:

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Mettle applies to Will Saves normally, you know.

And maybe allow Evasion to work like Mettle or vice-versa if it is used to sub in for another save?
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    Due to time constraints, I will be away from the forums until early in January. Take care until then.

5. - Top - End - #5

I think that these are definitely interesting and having one pool was a great way to go (feats that build off of each other are always good), but I wonder how useful these are.
    If you only need 2 of these feats (lets say because you have a high reflex save so you want to swap out your will and fortitude saves for a single save), then you only get 2 uses.
    But if you have a high reflex and a high will, then you will still only take 1 (you only need to swap out your fortitude now).
    So the more saves you have the more usable the feats are (because you can swap out more saves for other saves), but at the same time the less they are needed.
    I think you need to add feats with additional effects pertaining to each save or give a slightly larger starting pool.
    Last edited by eftexar; 2012-05-04 at 11:21 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Master of Flexibility essentially gives 2 extra uses, right? So why not just say that and save yourself the text?
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

An effect lowering a saving throw to an amount lower than another save that the first replaces makes the feat stop working, effectively giving the player another bonus to their saving throw. Is this intended?
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    An effect lowering a saving throw to an amount lower than another save that the first replaces makes the feat stop working, effectively giving the player another bonus to their saving throw. Is this intended?
    I can see what you mean by the feat becoming ineffective due to a save changing. But what do you mean about getting another bonus to the throw?
    Games I'm in:

Spoiler
    Show