New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Touch it. I dare you. [3.5 PrC P.E.A.C.H.]

Cystard

"Squishy..." A cystard's reaction after poking a cyst portruding from his arm

Bards have been known to do extreme things. They are musicians after all. This ranges from selling their souls to devils, biting the heads of bats and even wearing skin tight pants. But it takes a certain type of despicable bard to embrace the power of the Necrotic Cyst to gain power.

Requirements
    To qualify to become a Cystard, a character must fulfil all the following criteria.

Alignment: Evil
    Feats: Mother Cyst.
    Skills:Perform(Any) 13 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 13 ranks.
    Spells: Able to cast 4th-level bard spells.
    Special: Must have the Bardic Music ability.

Cystard
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will||
    Spellcasting

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Bardic Music, Cystify, Inspire Puissance|

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Recystance is futile|
    +1 level of bardic spellcasting

3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Necrotic Performance|

4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Inspire Puissance|

5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Spreading Cyst|

6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Necrotic Performance|

7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Ocean of Cysts|

8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Necrotic Cover, Inspire Puissance|

9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Necrotic Performance|

10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|I've got you covered|

[/table]

Hit Die: 1d6

Class Skills:
    Bluff(Cha), Concentration(Con), Intimidate(Cha), Hide(Dex), Knowledge(All)(Int), Move Silently(Dex), Perform(Cha), Spellcraft(Int), Use Magic Device(Cha);
    Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier

Class Features
    All of the following are features of the Cystard prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
    Cystards gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spells per Day:
    When a new Cystard level is gained(except for 1st and 10th), the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in the bard class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds the level of Cystard to the level of bard, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.

Bardic Music:
    The Cystard continues to advance bardic music just as if he gained a new level of bard, he does not however gain any new songs.

Cystify (Su):
    At first level the Cystard learns a new song. When he plays this song an eerie cold sweeps over the area. He may then cast any cyst spell he possesses and have it affect all enemies within a 30 ft. radius. He may cast one spell this way each round that he continues to play.

Cystify is a song and as such uses a full round action each round you continue to play it.

Inspire Puissance (Su):
    A Cystard can use music to inspire Puissance in anybody who possesses a cyst (including himself), improving their combat abilities. To be affected, a creature must be able to hear the Cystard perform and poses a cyst. The effect lasts for as long as the creature hears the Cystard Perform and for 5 rounds thereafter. An affected creature receives a +2 profane bonus on attack and a +4 profane bonus to weapon damage rolls. At 4th level, and again at 8th level, this bonus increases by +2. This consumes a bardic music use.

Recystance is futile (Su):
    At 2nd level the Cystard has learned how to perform in such a way that the cyst can slip into his opponents easily. Any time he casts a cyst spell the save DC to resist increases by +2.

Necrotic Performance (Sp):
    At 3rd level the Cystard learns how to achieve things than he would normally be unable to achieve. He may spend a standard action to play his/her instrument or perform in any way to cast Necrotic Tumor as a spell like ability once per day.

At 6th level he may use Necrotic Empowerment once per day and Necrotic Tumor twice per day.

At 9th level he may use Necrotic Termination once per day, Necrotic Empowerment twice per day and Necrotic Tumor thrice a day.

Spreading Cyst (Su):
    A Cystard of 5th level can empower a cyst in such a way that it spreads to other people. He may spend any amount of bardic music uses to empower one creature within 60 ft. that possesses a cyst as a standard action. If a creature comes into contact with the empowered cyst carrier they are instantly affected by the necrotic cyst spell. The cyst can spread to a number of targets equal to twice the total number of daily uses of bardic music spent.

Ocean of Cysts (Su):
    At 7th level the Cystard learns how to unleash a wave of energy around a cyst bearer using nothing but the power of cysts. This ability requires a standard action and the expenditure of one bardic music attempt. It releases a blast of energy in a 30 ft. radius around any cyst bearer within the Cystard's line of sight(he may designate himself). This then releases a wave that does 1d6 points of damage per HD of the Cystard. All creatures within range are allowed a reflex saving throw (DC 10 + Cystard's Charisma modifier + Cystard levels) For each cyst bearer within 100 ft. of the Cystard the dice size increases (So 1d6 becomes 1d8 and then 1d10 and so forth) until it reaches a maximum of 1d12. Half this damage is considered vile damage.

Necrotic Cover (Su):
    A Cystard of 8th level has learned how to protect himself in a moment's notice using his cyst. When he would normally fail a saving throw or receive damage, he may as an immediate action encase himself in a cystic shield. This gives him a bonus to saving throws, AC and Damage Reduction/Slashing, equal to his levels in Cystard for 3 rounds. After he has used this ability he can't use any of his cyst abilities or spells for 1d4 rounds as his cyst recovers. He may use this ability once per encounter.

I've got you covered (Ex and Sp):
    At 10th level the Cystard fully embraces the cyst and becomes almost one with it. His type changes to undead and he gains a bonus to his health equal to his charisma modifier times his level. He changes all his current and future hit dice to d12's. He also gains the ability to use necrotic scrying and necrotic cyst at will.
    Last edited by Wavelab; 2012-05-23 at 08:07 AM.
    Extended Hombrew Signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Touch it. I dare you. [3.5 PrC P.E.A.C.H.]

It probably would help to specify which powers are (Su) and which are (Ex). Also, the actions that some things take are slightly confusing- Cystify and Necrotic Performance should have this specified. For example, does Cystify require a standard action to start? In that case, using that ability will generally take until the next round unless one has access to quickened spells.

Also, it is possible to qualify for this class with wizard levels and a single level dip into bard. I don't know if that is intended.

Edit:
    When a new mystic theurge level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in any one arcane spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character that class would have gained (bonus metamagic or item creation feats, bard or assassin abilities, and so on). This essentially means that she adds the level of Cystard to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.
    Has some copypaste issues ("mystic theurge") and this doesn't match up the table since some levels don't get advancement.
    Last edited by JoshuaZ; 2012-05-19 at 09:58 AM.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

3. - Top - End - #3

I fixed the above mentioned stuffies. Thanks for pointing it out.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Seems odd that this class "advances" bardic music, but does not require it in the prerequisites. It should either grant bardic music (that stacks with existing bardic music) or require Bardic Music as a prerequisite.

Having the Evil alignment not listed in the prerequisites is confusing and easily missed. You should always include at least one line of space below a table.

Misspelling in the class skills (Preform should be Perform).

Able to cast 4th level arcane spells as a prerequisite? Mother Cyst actually strikes me as something that would attract a divine bard more than a true bard, actually. You have some pretty clear intended fluff here, so why be so broad with your prerequisites? Just make it 4th level bardic casting, and have the class only advance bard casting. Sorcerers and dread necros may understand undeath, and they may dip factotum and take Able Learner so they can play an instrument, but that doesn't mean they understand the magical power behind music.

Cystify is not a spell-like ability. You are casting a spell, from a spell slot, in a unique way. The ability itself does not grant an independent spellcasting ability that mimics a spell, it augments your existing spellcasting. Therefore, it is supernatural. Also, as written, it affects your allies within 30 feet as well. Then again, you are evil...

Resistance is Futile- This ability is harsh, but only because the necrotic cyst spell already imposes a -2 penalty to the hosts' saving throws against necromancy spells, and this stacks with that. So you end up basically auto-zapping people with your cyst spells, which includes auto-domination. I would drop this to a static +2 DC, that already gives it the value of 2 feats (Greater Spell Focus).

Spreading Cyst is...just poorly edited, I'm sorry. It needs a range, an action to activate, and a duration. It also needs a saving throw for the necrotic cyst spell. Instead of "times two", just say "twice the total number of daily uses of bardic music spent", and never use the term "person", always "creature". "Person" means creatures of the Humanoid type.

Ocean of Cysts should allow a Reflex saving throw for half damage.

I've Got You Covered- Any time a class involves gaining the undead type, it changes all of your hit dice to d12s and forces you to reroll them. You need to state that as well. Instead of "detect cysts", just let him cast necrotic scrying as a spell-like ability at will. The supernatural ability to implant necrotic cysts needs a type and DC for a saving throw to negate.

Class is awesome, though. I had a lot of fun reading it. I personally think you should add some kind of Inspire Courage class feature, that only applies to creatures within range who possess cysts. A +2 to attack and +4 to damage rolls, increasing to +4/+6, and then +6/+8.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I take it that all the cyst-related spells and feats are from an existing book? It might be better to clarify which one.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yitzi View Post
    I take it that all the cyst-related spells and feats are from an existing book? It might be better to clarify which one.
    Yes, they are from Libris Mortis. Mentioning that would probably be a good idea.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

7. - Top - End - #7

Alright I updated it. Thanks for the critique.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Inspire Puissance has a typo, you used "Inspire Courage" in the last sentence there. Also, I don't think it should be mind-affecting. I think it's more like you casting a mini mass necrotic empowerment spell, so it gives everyone a nice boost by augmenting their cysts. Plus, you're going to become immune to mind-affecting later in the class (when you gain the undead type) so no reason to penalize yourself like that.

Table still says "+1 level existing arcane". Change to "+1 level of bardic spellcasting".

Move "Requirements" from between class features and class skills to above the requirements, which are over the table.

You should note that Inspire Puissance consumes a daily use of bardic music.

Other than that, sweet. Class looks much better now. I'd play it.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    Other than that, sweet. Class looks much better now. I'd play it.
    That fills me with both joy and fear.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So this is how Elvis remained alive all these years...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

*touches*

I'll have to play it sometime. Eventually. Not really a fan of Prestiges if its not something like a Gestalt. But yea. I'll have to use this if I ever find myself building up a Necrobard. Probably with my Steelsinger as a base.

My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Cipherthe3vil View Post
    I'll have to play it sometime. Eventually. Not really a fan of Prestiges if its not something like a Gestalt. But yea. I'll have to use this if I ever find myself building up a Necrobard. Probably with my Steelsinger as a base.
    I usually see prestige classes as a specilization for base classes. That's why I usually only make them available at 10t level, so you can have a 10 base class/ 10 prestige class.