A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Random Adventures OOC (D&D 3.5)

Okay... here's how we're going to do this. This OOC will serve as the hub for the IC thread(s). I'll assign you an IC thread once roll call is over. If you have any requests to play with a certain player, just shoot me a PM and I'll try to make it work.

General Housekeeping:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Your first post should contain your character's name, race, class and personality trait, so I can sort you out easier.
    2. Please put your character sheet in your signature. If you just don't want to put your character in your signature, then please link to your character sheet in each IC post you make for ease of reference.
    3. When you post in IC, please post in 3rd person and use your name at least once.
    4. When you post in IC, please use the name of the character you're talking to when applicable. Ex: Tom turned to Jerry and whispered, "I'ma getchu stupid mouse."
    5. Please stake your claim on your favorite posting color. As is stated in my signature, mine is dark red.
    6. "Dialog should be in quotes"
    7. "Dialog in a language that isn't Common should be in italics and in quotes."
    8. Inner monolog, if you chose to use it, should be in italics.
    9. Rolls and Translations should have a heading and be spoilered.
      Example:
      When pressed by the town mayor to explain his actions, the Goliath merely sneered and says, "Elieka kukanath mali kothek, naulae kukanath mali anemakua!"
      Translation:
      Spoiler
      Show
      Gol-Kaa phrase: "Fast goats provide drink, slow goats provide food."
    10. Please stay in character in the IC thread and out of character in the OOC thread. Rolls should be kept in the IC thread, but spoilered. If you have a question but don't know how to ask it in character, then drop it in the OOC thread or shoot a PM to the appropriate recipient.

House Rules:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Please shoot me a PM if you think I'm being unfair about something. I'm happy when the players are happy, and I welcome all your feedback.
    2. If we're in initiative, you have 24 hours to post, or you automatically delay action until the end of the round. If you still don't post on your delayed turn, I'll roll for you.
    3. If you're interacting with something or someone out of initiative and the game can't progress until you've responded, you have 24 hours to post or I'll post for you.
    4. If I post for you, I will shoot you a PM and let you know I've done so.
    5. If I have to post for you too frequently, I will check up on you with a PM one final time. If I don't hear from you within 24 hours of the final PM, I'll write you out of the campaign. You may attempt to rejoin by posting your intent to do so in the OOC, but I chose when or if you get to post next in the IC.
    6. Please post in initiative order. I'll post your INIT before combat starts.
    7. Called Shots: Declare it is a called shot and describe your shot. I will tell you the consequences of a successful called shot, and you may decide from there whether or not you want to pursue it that way. Usually the result is similar to a watered down Power Attack. Post the request in OOC or PM, but post your final choice in IC.
    8. Heal Checks: A successful first aid check heals 1d4 HP. You can heal a patient this way every 4 hours. If the patient receives new damage before the 4 hours are up, you can treat him/her again and roll 1d4 for HP gain.
    9. Paladins: If you roll a Paladin, you may chose any of the variant Paladins available in the WoTC Materials.
    10. Everything in the "world" can be interacted with and used. Explore and interact with the setting and it may pay off.
    11. RPXP will be handed out throughout the campaign. I have no specific rule for this, but if you describe something that helps fill out the story, helps me visualize the combat, or just amuses me, I'll toss you a 10 XP bonus. They pile up quickly.
    12. Combat XP can be given out for winning an encounter; not just for beating all the enemies up. I'll give the same XP for reasoning/intimidating (whatever) with an opponent until they give up as I would for turning it into a blood fountain.
    13. RAW beats all (except the aforementioned house-rules). If you want to dispute a judgment call I've made, give me a RAW reason why I'm wrong and you win. I'm not always going to be right, and I'm cool with being called out.
    14. Please put book/page references or web links to your feats for easy reference in your character sheet.
    15. We have some noobs in this game so I'm posting the golden rule of D&D: This game is supposed to be fun for all of us. Griefers and bullies in the OOC thread will be reported to the mods and booted from the game. On the other side of that coin, what happens in IC stays in IC. It's unreasonable to expect a LG Paladin to get along with a CN Rogue all the time. There will be differences of opinion in content, and that's part of the fun of RP. Please don't take role-playing personally.
    16. I'm okay with roll-play as long as it compliments role-play. If you're like me, you sometimes prefer to roll the dice first, then describe your actions based on your results. (A Bard who nat 1s on a perform check isn't going to have the performance of a lifetime, so I'd be likely to incorporate some missed notes and fudged lyrics in my description in that case.) I'm cool with that. Just don't give me a post with only a roll in it. That's lame.

Current Relevant NPCs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jarvis: Merchant Extraordinaire
    Percival: Jarvis's assistant coach driver. Acts like a fancy butler.
    Ollie: A simple merchant. Generally light-hearted.
    Charlie: Ollie's mule and a damn fine one.
    Richard: A simple merchant. Gruff and self-important.
    Mule: Ollie's mule. Richard doesn't name mules.
    Simon: A simple merchant. Struggle's with his mule a lot.
    Sophie: Simon's mule. A sensitive and stubborn mule, probably because he has a female name.
    Cart Merchant 1: Sticks to his own business. Name and personality unknown.
    Cart Merchant 2: Sticks to his own business. Name and personality unknown.
    Gnomish Fellow: Smelly, hairy, and steals a lot. But he seems friendly and well intended enough. Percival hates him.
    The Orean: A fey known by Feddin. She is believed to be a dark and violent creature, but she may just be misunderstood.

Okay. Now that's out of the way, welcome to the OOC thread! *hands you a cup of coffee and turns on the radio.* Let's party!
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2013-02-16 at 04:08 AM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Random Adventures OOC (D&D 3.5)

Gwen
    the Human Paladin of Freedom
    has Strong Opinions on Morals & Politics
    and will use purple to describe her actions and speak in black (to make my life easier.)
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

Lydia Deshayes, Socially Awkward Necromancer with a Broken Heart
    Wanderlust, a free spirited, hammer weilding barbarian.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Felix Lynn
    The Fat Halfling Monk
    Will speak in Blue

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Terlew Fanhathol Whispergleam
    the female Gnomish Necromancer
    who, surprisingly, is very curious.
    Is so anti-gnome-wizard-cliche that it's almost a cliche.

Still buying items and working out whether I want any flaws/traits and what the resultant feats might be, but that should be done with shortly.

EDIT: Oh, and I'll be posting in my usual teal!
    Last edited by Cloudsmeet; 2012-05-21 at 07:54 PM.
    Christmas is a busy time for everyone; expect heavily reduced posting until a few days after the new year with my apologies.

Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kin Lescelyn, Evil Human Evoker and Fireball Enthusiast.
    Why did the duck with the tin lip? Because the higher they fly, the fewer!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle
    A gnome paladin played with a will. And neurotically so.
    His colour shall be Seagreen!

Question(s): Do we need to colour our entire posts, cause I usually just colour talk and inner voice?

Do we describe our actions in past or present tense?
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle - Gnome Paladin
    Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Fanter, the obsequious male half-elf barbarian, will be addressing all you noble and upstanding members of the adventuring persuasion in the color dark orange.

That is, of course, if it's not too bright for your reading comfort.

More character details to come! Still hammering him out. DM, do you mind if PM you a question or two?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Oscar, the dandy human wizard, who will be speaking in bolded dark slate gray

Here is his sheet

Still working on finishing it, some fluff/spells/stuff.
    Last edited by Jungian; 2012-05-21 at 08:57 PM.
    Character Sheets

The week of June 17, my time to post will be reduced. Expect for posting to return to full capacity by June 24.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Ulfgar Ungart, the Rude Dwarven Wizard who will be speaking in Dark Blue.

Any changes to sheets will be done tomorrow most likely, unless someone wants to PM me.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Gordid Swordbreaker
    The Dwarven Barbarian
    Has dark red eyes
    Will be speaking in "Bold Dark Red"

10. - Top - End - #10

Hey guys (could have sworn Inex had a post responding to my previous questions??)
    Anyway, I've come up with some more, yay! (I know, I'm annoying that way).

Should we try and combine our backstories, to work us out as an adventuring party, or do we just get to know eachother along the way?

I don't know which I prefer, though the first one is usually a lot less boring, without allthe filler before you get to something plot-related (whether sandbox or not).

Do you have a battleplan, Inex, or do we take it to the vote?
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

I did. I just deleted them as a part of thread housekeeping.

Backstories, backstories...

You know what? I can work with integrated backstories if that's what you want. I'm beginning to think that the two IC threads can have cross-over campaigns from time to time which would be a great opportunity for friends and family members to reunite on-the-job.

The campaign story will be based on the type of characters that get posted between yesterday at 4:41 pm and tomorrow at 4:41 pm.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

12. - Top - End - #12

So I am typically for integrated back stories. But I quite like mine so if they fit together then I am all for it.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

RedWizardGuy

Here's Fanter, the obsequious half-elf barbarian. He'll be offering his services as a gentleman's not-so-gentle man to the party and serving refreshments at camp on a heavy steel tray that also is handy for bashing people's faces in.

I usually do the background first, but I'm waiting to see what we decide about integrated backgrounds. If one of you is of noble descent or at least from a wealthy background, he could even be a trusted family valet of yours brought along on the adventure. If not, I'll come up with something.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=402648

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

(3d4)[10]

I've finished spells. Working on his backstory and equipment, which should be finished shortly.

Finished, the low born tailor boy with dreams of nobility
    Last edited by Jungian; 2012-05-23 at 03:53 PM.
    Character Sheets

The week of June 17, my time to post will be reduced. Expect for posting to return to full capacity by June 24.

15. - Top - End - #15

Well, my Gnome paladin has recently left his monastery, so it makes sense that he (completely randomly) bumps into some of you guys, and *DETECT EVIL!* decides that adventuring in a group *DETECT EVIL!* is better than alone.
    Maybe we've met on the road and found a liking *DETECT EVIL!* (no? ok, you're good) for eachother?
    Spoiler
    Show

Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by AshesOfOld View Post
    Well, my Gnome paladin has recently left his monastery, so it makes sense that he (completely randomly) bumps into some of you guys, and *DETECT EVIL!* decides that adventuring in a group *DETECT EVIL!* is better than alone.
    Maybe we've met on the road and found a liking *DETECT EVIL!* (no? ok, you're good) for eachother?
    I think our characters are probably just different enough to really get on each other's nerves.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by missmvicious View Post

I think our characters are probably just different enough to really get on each other's nerves.
    ...and it is necessary in every team.

Edit: Ah, and my character would happily team up with everyone, just ... 'Don't! Touch! My! DONUTS!'
    Last edited by Lexin; 2012-05-23 at 05:25 PM.

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

As long as you aren't a monk, my guy's ok with you.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Croverus View Post
    As long as you aren't a monk, my guy's ok with you.
    'You little...!' says Felix looking right into Gordid's eyes. (he probably needs to look straight up to do it...)

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"Bring it on!" Cracks knuckles.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

I apologize for the wait. After work, I had some surprise company over.

Ok... so a quick roll call here:
    1. Gwen Human Paladin of Freedom
    2. Felix Lynn the Halfling Monk
    3. Terlew Fanthalol Whispergleam the Gnome Wizard Necromancer
    4. Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle the Gnome Paladin
    5. Fanter the Half-Elf Barbarian
    6. Oscar the Human Wizard
    7. Ulfgar the Dwarven Wizard
    8. Gordid Swordbreaker the Dwarven Barbarian

Here's a few thoughts I have:
    1. Just a ragtag bunch of adventurers on the road (all 8 of you in one campaign)
    2. Guilds (not really):
      - Team 1: on a divine quest: Felix, Fimble, Gwen, Gordid.
      - Team 2: on an kill-the-evil-overlord quest: Terlew, Oscar, Ulfgar, Fanter
    3. "Races of" Quest: (each of you come from a clan/race or clan alliance):
      - Team 1: Gwen, Oscar, Fanter, Felix
      - Team 2: Terlew, Fimble, Ulfgar, Gordid
    4. Party Balance Quest (self explanatory):
      - Team 1: Fimble, Oscar, Fanter, Felix
      - Team 2: Gwen, Terlew, Ulfgar, Gordid

Let's have a vote. Majority wins.

Notes on the campaign ideas:

Ragtag Bunch: I've never hosted a campaign that large, but I've got lots of ideas. Therefore, I think I'm going to make this one a sandbox campaign. You guys determine its direction. You'll start in a rather large port city.

Guilds: Team 1, you're all serving as understudies of powerful representatives of your order who are attending the Council of Martivir, which occurs once every ten years, to discuss and orchestrate the continued alliances of all peace-loving races and territories. Team 2, you're what's left of a rebellion troup that is fighting against a powerful usurper and his villainous horde.

"Races of": Team 1, you're a group of traveling friends. Adventure has brought you together. Pretty straightforward. Team 2, a new alliance between Gnomes and Dwarves has brought about amazing opportunities for trade. The Dwarves have asked the Gnomes to join them in a trade conference with Deep Gnomes, in exchange for rare and exotic dwarven weapons and armor.

Party Balance Quest: This will basically be two separate dungeon delver quests. Team 1s "dungeon" will be a forest and team 2's dungeon will be underground.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

22. - Top - End - #22

RedWizardGuy

All the options sound pretty good, but I have to say my vote's for either option 2 or option 1. I like the idea of a port city-based sandbox, but I've DMed too many games to want to throw an 8-member party at someone lol

Option 2 sounds like it will be a lot of fun, especially if we have the opportunity for "crossover" or "guest star" appearances from time to time with the other group. This option looks the best to me.

Looking forward to getting rolling with you guys!

23. - Top - End - #23

Nice work, Inex!

I'm not a big fan of sandbox on pbp. I don't how you are as a DM, but these things tend to run out in the, well, sand.

I like option 2, it fits my character a lot, and there is good basis for some rp.

Either that or option 4, I'm in the mood for some old-fashioned dungeon-crawl.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

24. - Top - End - #24

I like option 1 the most. I just worry about the drop off that typically happens when a campaign first hits the IC leaving one group more screwed. I realize there is some redundancy but that I think is going to happen in several of these set ups.
    After that I like option four. That is probably the least redundant and I enjoy the idea of one team being all chaos.
    Third choice is option three, would work well with my choice of language and all that. I was already considering adding a thing involving traveling with a halfling caravan to my backstory anyway.
    Least of all I think is option two.
    That is my two cp.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Vote for 1, although it is hard to coordinate.

Second option... 4 or 3 (both described briefly, but I prefer that than 2... even though my character is a monk, he isn't very divine...)

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

I cast my vote for 3 or 4. It's hard to coordinate 8 people in a campaign.
    Character Sheets

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'd most enjoy either 1, or if handling all 8 at once is too much, option 4 makes the most sense.

3 is a possible 3rd choice. Don't like 2, my character wouldn't be involved in anything divine.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm all for taking down an evil tyrant, but other people don't seem to want to do the peace summit thing, so I don't mind.

I'm also against racial segregation

So I pick option 4!
    Christmas is a busy time for everyone; expect heavily reduced posting until a few days after the new year with my apologies.

Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kin Lescelyn, Evil Human Evoker and Fireball Enthusiast.
    Why did the duck with the tin lip? Because the higher they fly, the fewer!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Here's the tally:

Preferred Choices:
    Option 1 has 3 votes
    Option 2 has 2 votes
    Option 3 has 1 vote
    Option 4 has 1 vote

Backup Choices:
    Option 1 has 1 vote
    Option 4 has 5 votes

Option 4 got the most backup votes, but Option 1 got the most preferred votes. So, in the spirit of this whole thing, let's roll for for it. 1 = Option 1, 2 = Option 4.

(1d2)[1]

Option 1, the sandbox, has it.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-05-25 at 01:07 AM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Any ideas yet on the details of the sandbox world?
    Character Sheets