Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: (PF) When The Dice Hate You

You can always let her roll 3d6 instead of d20. It produces more average results, and is actually a legal variant from Unearthed Arcana: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/ad...CurveRolls.htm

They also list a spell which lets you roll 4d6, drop the lowest instead of 3d6 on rolls. You could give this to her automatically, and it would guarantee much less frustration.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

I empathize. Never rolling above an 8 when trying to make DC30+ saves? Not fun.

In the case of D20's, there are 'countdown' dice or so I'm told? They don't have quite the same number distribution on them or somesuch? Make sure she isn't rolling those.

Second, if she's rolling a D20, get her to do it with a crazy amount of backspin. Underhanded 'throw' as it were, with as much 'roll' towards the player as humanly possible. I found that this helped my results trend higher. I was the guy that could never roll above 10 for about 6 months (seriously, 4 sessions, every roll was a 5 or a 3, that sucked), then I started doing this and found that I got a much better spread.

If that doesn't work, bounce the dice off of something. I sometimes bounce mine off the DM screen if it is stable enough to do so.

Lastly, you could come up with some kind of 'mulligan' rule where she can take the average result, but only a certain number of times per session. The average result will usually not be all that impressive. On 2D6 for example, the average roll is 7 if I'm not mistaken. You would have to look it up.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Well I would say that I feel bad for her and give some advice... However I 90% of the time roll 11 or higher on a d20 soooo I know whose luck I'm stealing now....

Well... Dice rollers always give me a 5 or less on a D20, I fricken hate programs...

Have her play a warblade focused on diamond mind. Give her a +15 to concentration check item. 1d20 + 15 should hit flat footed or normal AC when rolling 5's and 6's

3dit: So that she doesn't feel like she is getting special treatment... Give every player 1 skill item (survival, tumble, jump, climp, religion, etc etc). Also this helps keeping everyone in around the same wealth.
    Last edited by SSGoW; 2012-05-29 at 01:53 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Make sure she's rolling the right type of die. I had a player who rolled d12 for his attacks for half of a session, without noticing it. He was seated at the far side of the table from me, so I didn't notice either.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChimingCopper View Post
    My friend's dice hate her.

I mean it. Rolling above a 10 is cause for celebration. We've done out the statistics, swapped out dice, rebuilt characters, and it is becoming incredibly frustrating for her to play, because in combat, her character cannot do anything. In our last game, she needed to roll above a 6 to hit. 4, 4, 5, 3...and then the combat was over.

She doesn't like playing support characters, prefers non-spellcasters, and would really like nothing more than to be a fighter. But the dice won't support it. It is not a couple of bad games. We play nearly every weekend and this problem has persisted through a year, with several dice and character changes. I mean, I've heard Warlock or something relies less on dice rolls, but it's just not a class I think she'd enjoy.

What do you do in a situation like this?
    Use a deck of cards with numbers ranging from 1 to 20. This can be easily made from a standard deck of cards by using A-10 of two suits and declaring one to be higher(or all four suits, but declaring red higher than black).

You are then guaranteed to have a proper distribution, while still getting decent randomness on individual results.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Squirt lemons in the dice's eyes. That will show them. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daemon

What level do you guys normally play at? There is a crusader stance that lets you take 11 on any d20 roll once a round... sadly it is a level 6 stance, so wouldn't work for low level play.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by demigodus View Post
    What level do you guys normally play at? There is a crusader stance that lets you take 11 on any d20 roll once a round... sadly it is a level 6 stance, so wouldn't work for low level play.

95% of martial problems can be solved by Tome of Battle...

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

Male

What about the exemplar PrC, combined with some ToB goodness (for the aforementioned stance)? Take 10 on damned near everything. Add in a level of changeling ACF rogue (from Races of Eberron) and basically you can take 10 all the time any time.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by demigodus View Post

95% of martial problems can be solved by Tome of Battle...

11. - Top - End - #41
    Banned

Male

What about the exemplar PrC, combined with some ToB goodness (for the aforementioned stance)? Take 10 on damned near everything. Add in a level of changeling ACF rogue (from Races of Eberron) and basically you can take 10 all the time any time.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    I kinda want to play that...