New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

tongue first time d&d story's (what did you do your first time)

it started in faerun when lusken was an outpost and guantlgrym had not made its deal with the hosttower. i made a half elf sorcerer non optimized. i started in ten towns and was visiting my halfling bard/bone sculpter who was a total boss and helped me make a raven carving but I broke all the other scrimshaw then iu got a quest from an elf who wanted a strange jewel he lost in a cave i got it and then left to lusken were i proseded to give the obvios phylaxtery to the most powerfull hosttower wizard who gets possesed i got rejected by pirates then i went to rescue a mans son i ended up killing his son after living in a secret grove in never winter wood his son attacked me and it turned out he was a werewolf and then i got killed when i attacked a guy on the street after he stole my dagger i was such a fail

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGirl

smile Re: first time d&d story's (what did you do your first time)

My first time as a player of D&D I made a human fighter, and ran through the Keep on The Borderlands, in first edition.

First time as a Dungeon Master, I started with all the players chained together, prisoners on the way to the auction block. But they escaped ... into the desert.

Fun times.

"I don't swear just for the hell of it." -Henry Drummond, Inherit the Wind

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: first time d&d story's (what did you do your first time)

Well, at least you didn't die opening a sack of flour in the first room of the module like I did.

AD&D was a harsh mistress.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

• Roll a natural 1 on an attack roll with a longbow
    • Accidentally kill a random owl as a result of said natural 1
    • Take dead owl with you after battle ends
    • Use said dead owl as trap/ambush detection (combine with Ghost Sound for effective version of the latter)

Man, I have got to get another dead owl.
    Last edited by Objection; 2012-05-29 at 04:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Seriously. Every time someone posts a thread like this, the Giant kills a kitten. Please stop before he gets to Mr. Scruffy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    Recent studies have suggested that reading daily mail reduces the sodium content in your blood. As such, many leading doctors suggest taking it with a grain of salt.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

That OP is near indecipherable.

My first time playing involved being a guard of a caravan that ended up being attacked by Kobolds before fending them off and hunting them down.

My first time DMing involved a mad goose-chase that ended up in a brothel with Dire STDs and a dead priest ... Yeah. I'm an odd DM to say the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

This goes in Roleplaying Games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

First time playing we were using a 3.0 starter set. My DM (his first time as well as ours) decided that the first thing our lv 1 party should fight should be the most iconic monster in the box. The Red Dragon. I don't remember what age category it was, but at lv 1, it doesn't really matter. Needless to say, we didn't let him DM anymore.

Haven't actually had a first time DMing, other than a few attempts that didn't even manage a single session due to lack of planning. However, I'm hoping to fix that soon, after I finish with a short campaign I'm writing.

Go Tigers!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thumbs up Re: first time d&d story's (what did you do your first time)

looks like we all had interesting first times
    my first time DMing I created a hombrew race aka the crafax who were red insectiods they took over whole planes of existence and had an ant like society. my friend didn't like it cause he got overpowered weapons a dagger like the entreri has (life force sucking) and an acid damage sword that he gave to his party member it turned there was a black dragons soul inside the sword but it was a good dragon and he had a fire dagger that did 1d8 dmg and another +5 of fire damage it had a female red dragon trapped in it I love soul trapped weapons. the first time he did something he killed a bunch of criminals for the money reward. he played as woman so i had a good time of making role-playing scenes (very detailed) she liked an elf ranger so i made his wife get killed by the crafax so i could do some weird campaign twists

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

When I read this, I think I underestimated the power of Tabletop RPGs. It's better than Videogames and their limited imagination.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Please, original poster...

1) Use capitals at the beginning of your sentences and when using proper nouns. It's surprising how much of a difference that makes.

2) Break up your block o' text into paragraphs; again, it doesn't seem like much, but it makes a surprising amount of difference.

3) Report the original post and request it be moved to the RPGs board. This board area is for, as the name implies, general discussion - we'd be happy to talk about our D&D experiences and whatnot, but I'm sure you're likely to get better replies and more views and whatnot if this page is where it belongs.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything - it's just that I quite literally couldn't get through your first post; no offense intended, but it's a bit of a mess.

Welcome to the forums, by the way.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2012-05-30 at 04:42 AM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Breakin' it down for your rude chumps who can't read broken English:

• His campaign started in Faerun, when Luskan was an outpost and the kingdom of Gauntlgrym had not yet made a deal with Host Tower of the Arcane.

• He was in Ten-Towns, visiting a halfling bard/bone sculptor (possibly related?) who was a pretty cool guy. He helped the player make a raven carving but then the player accidentally broke all the halfling's scrimshawed bones.

• Moving on from that setback, the player proceeded to get a quest from an elf. The quest involved getting a jewel, but it was an obvious phylactery, so the player gave it to a powerful wizard instead, who later became possessed.

• The player then tried to join a group of pirates, but was rejected. He was given another quest to rescue a man's son, but ended up killing the son instead. Turns out the son was living in a hidden grove in Neverwinter Wood, and he was actually a werewolf. Apparently he attacked the player first.

• Despite his epic encounters and exciting adventures, the player makes a simple, fatal mistake. When a dagger is stolen from him while walking down a public street, the player attacks the thief. He is then killed, though the cause is (perhaps intentionally) left vague. Draw your own conclusions, gentlemen.

Honestly though? Give the guy a break. His story wasn't really that hard to follow, so you don't need to be grammar or spelling nazis.
    Last edited by Rallicus; 2012-05-30 at 12:17 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

The first (and only) D&D I've played I was the GM, and my players:
    Sided with the crime boss
    Killed a few people in the street because they wanted their clothes
    Smothered the sick Duke
    Started a war with the Dwarves

The campaign only managed to go on another few sessions, during which they continued to be the worst people of all time.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

My actual first experience was pretty much just rolling dice to see how it worked.

My second time, which I consider my first real game, I was playing a first level paladin in OD&D with only the first supplement Greyhawk. The party ranged from 1st to 5th level, was entirely Lawful (which meant Good).

My paladin couldn't afford a sword, and was wielding a mace.

After several encounters, a couple levels down in the dungeon, we were all down to 3 or fewer hit points. (Remember, in this game, 0 hit points is dead.) My paladin had a single hit point left.

The treasure we had just found included a sword, which the paladin asked for. He received the right to pick it up. Unfortunately, it was a high-ego chaotic sword, and the first thing that should happen when my paladin touched it is that he should have received 2d6 points of damage, which would have killed the character. The DM made a few rolls behind the screen, and then wrote and handed me a note.

"This Chaotic sword has changed your alignment. You are now chaotic, and holding a chaotic Flaming Sword."

I thought for a moment, and asked to speak to him privately. When we got into the other room, I told him, "I don't have any questions for you. I just want them to believe you gave me more information than the note had." I told him my plan, we waited a couple more minutes, and then we walked back in.

My (ex-)paladin told the group, "This is a Holy Sword with a quest I have to take on alone. I need you to go back the way you came. It's important that you do as I ask. Go back single file, and no matter what you hear, DON'T LOOK BACK."

Of course the five characters trusted my paladin, and did as he asked. My chaotic ex-paladin came up and stabbed each one in the back. Several times the DM said, "You hear a stab behind you, and a body slumping." "We don't look back." After five times, he told them that they were all dead.

So in my first game of D&D, my paladin murdered an entire lawful party.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    So in my first game of D&D, my paladin murdered an entire lawful party.
    Which brings up the question: did "Chaotic" in OD&D equal "mass murderer for no apparent reason"?
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Re: first time d&d story's (what did you do your first time)

It could at times?

My first game I had a mage, a dissatisfied son of a wealthy trader. I went with the caravan to a big city to seek further training. The caravan came under attack, which repelled by blowing all my spells and then attacking, not entirely uselessly, with a stick.

As DM, my first game involved a sole player with a freedom-fighting ninja who grew in power to challenge more and bigger threats, and the game world largely expanded with him, a lush planet with an old society that had lost much of its frontiers to magic and monsters- plenty of ruins and dragons, and things that were part dragon.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

First game I had a Tiefling TWF Ranger. About an hour in a Gibbering Mouther confused me, and the other party members killed me when I attacked them. It was awesome.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HeadlessMermaid View Post
    Which brings up the question: did "Chaotic" in OD&D equal "mass murderer for no apparent reason"?
    No; it meant "evil", and was interpreted as "enemies of Lawful characters". The party had just slain two priests, based primarily on alignment.

So there was a clear, apparent reason. I had gone down into the dungeon to find and kill people with an opposite alignment, and take their stuff. I was with several lawful people who were there specifically to slay chaotic people like me, who had money and magic items, who were all down to 1-3 hit points, and who would very likely attack me if they discovered the truth.

Also, it was 37 years ago. I was young and stupid then.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    No; it meant "evil", and was interpreted as "enemies of Lawful characters". The party had just slain two priests, based primarily on alignment.

So there was a clear, apparent reason. [...] Also, it was 37 years ago.
    Ah, I see. And wow, that's a long time (bows respectfully).

It always seemed to me that earlier incarnations of the alignment system (and more current ones when implemented very very badly) were a bit like painting your tin soldiers, some green and some red, so that you know who fights whom. I thought I was exaggerating, but apparently I wasn't.
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

One of my first (not THE first) started in the 4e Against The Giants campaign. One of my friends was playing a dwarven brawler fighter, modeled off Macho Man Randy Savage. There was a 'lazy mage' named Lack, my drow assassin, a drunken elf warlord, another dwarf fighter and a goliath swordmage/warlock. We were chained up, without our weapons. The goliath called his sword to his hands, and both he and the elf had Summoned Armor. The dwarf grabbed the jail door off it's hinges. I picked the lock and jumped out. Randy Savage picked up the mage and threw him into the jailer. The goliath created a zone which did something like 3d12 damage, and placed in the corridor. The boss actually died walking through it. The mage started hypnotizing all of the enemies to kill each other. It was fun.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the thief who likes to hoard,
    That loves the bard with the puppet Lord
    That admires the fighter with the green-hilted sword,
    That employs the Wizard, whose bird is ignored,
    That has the gender unexplored
    That intrigues the Halfling, usually bored,
    That slew a mountain of the goblin horde,
    That follows the cleric,
    That serves the lich,
    That seeks the gate,
    That guards the snarl,
    That lives in the prison the gods built.

guess what I was gone but now I'm back

20. - Top - End - #20

First time I played, the DM had us make 2 characters, so I made a Monk (not optimized whatsoever, but had really good stats, so with improved evasion, would run around triggering magical traps for fun and profit) and a cleric (which I accidentally optimized pretty well trying to make a good buffer). Yea, class imbalance was obvious quite rapidly...

It is, however, the only campaign I have seen a monk use his slow fall ability meaningfully. Getting pushed of the side of a canyon is a little less painful when you dimension door down and then slow fall the rest of the way.
    The Age of Warrior, a ToB expansion.

Credits to Ninjaman for old Death Jester avatar.
    Homebrew (feel free to PEACH)
    Base Classes:
    Fighter Fix, The Sublime Matador

Disciplines:
    The Endless Play

21. - Top - End - #21

The first campaign I played in was Keep on the Borderlands. I was playing a cleric (who was originally going to be a paladin but didn't have good enough stats to qualify) and a magic-user (who ran out of spells very quickly and ended up being terrible with a sling through most of it). It was some sixteen years ago now, and I unfortunately don't remember most of the details... but I do remember the party tying a bunch of goblins up into a ball and using said ball as a shield. My characters didn't do terribly much, because I was completely new and had little idea what I was doing.

The first campaign I DMed was also 1st edition, but I will say no more of it - it wasn't very well planned out.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Killed a group of Cleric assassins, which the DM later admitted was "supposed to kill us". My Crusader would have exploded in viscera if it wasn't for his Healing armor I'm pretty sure my character pushed a bookcase over on one of the assassins.

After eating some d4s from a dart trap, covered it with his Tower Shield to let the rest of the party past.

Teleported into the future without his horse, so he weilded a lance while riding a Motorcycle

23. - Top - End - #23

My first one that was an actual, book-based game, not just a bunch of baloney thrown together, I was a dwarven cleric. Unfortunately for me, I had also been playing a lot of Streets of Rage earlier that day.

Well, getting into a fight with some orcs at their base, I ended up getting hurt pretty badly. Looking around the place, I spied some soup and thought that, somehow, eating it would restore some hit points. As it turns out, the stuff was poisoned, but I somehow made the save and was, except for the fact that I was laughed at all night, otherwise unhurt.

My first time as a DM, however, went kinda wacky after a few days. My brother wanted to play a phoelarch fighter in a solo campaign, and, after a certain point, figured out how to abuse his death throes and blow up every enemy he couldn't beat to death. Things got ridiculous when he managed to kill off a white dragon in this fashion by jumping into a white dragon's mouth and going straight down into his gullet. Cue medium-rare dragonburger for the surrounding populace.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Killed a man over 1 gp.

25. - Top - End - #25

DwarfFighterGuy

My first game, a friend purchased an underdark boxed game not knowing it was just a boxed adventure, thinking it was a full game in and of itself.

Trying to figure it out he's reading stats, Str, 12, Dex 18, Con 15, Int 11.... And I yell "Bingo!"

My first real game I was a halfling wizard, the group was leading an elephant (int 9 wiz 16) ok, they were being lead by an elephant, to find its clans holy symbol. I hid from the desert sun by walking under the elephant, he didn't like that.

My first DMing was kind of goofy, my first real game with plot and all thought out a session ahead of time though, my gamers still bring that up.
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    You are my favorite kind of villain.

26. - Top - End - #26

My first campaign was 3.5 and I played a gnome illusionist named Giblet who rode the half orc barbarian in half plate with a tower shield into battle(this was all of our first time playing, I mean the ranger was adding str and dex to attack and damage so we thought rangers were just mad OP) . the most memorable part was probably when I rolled a natural 20 on my bullrush and sparta kicked a troll into the turbulent water that flowed through the city sewers. Yea, good times.

actually, in hindsight, I was the angriest gnome alive due to having to deal with other PC's who insisted on urinating on each other to "get revenge" (and we're all on the upper end of our teens too. ) so I had to play babysitter and color spray them into oblivion.
    Last edited by Averis Vol; 2012-06-01 at 12:46 AM.
    A thing I made! The Spirited Blade; warrior of the mind come by and tell me what you think.

May glory flow forever more to The Mad Hatter for bringing Haeros; Master of the Transcendant Style to my avatar box!

27. - Top - End - #27

My first taste of D&D that stuck with me was when I played a quick battle with guys about twice my age at a game shop downtown. It was not meant to be a campaign, just a quick dungeon crawl with pre-made characters.

I played a barbarian gnome, who's name I fail to remember, but he was a bad%#@! There was an elven wizard, a human fighter, a half-ef ranger, and myself. The cave was full of baddies (some of which waited for us to come to jump out at us, or looked like objects sitting in the cave). We had been hired by the local town elders to see what all the disturbances in the cave were about.

Eventually it turned out all of these creatures were being controlled by a sorceress who was very hard to kill (and at the bottom of the cave in a sort of quasi-shrine to a demon). She had three minotuar guards, but in the end we came out just barely on top.

My most memorable moment in that short adventure was when I saw some weird 4 armed monster down a 20 foot drop and decided I would kill it on my own. I jump the 20 feet, take no damage due to awesome rolls, and then subsequently slaughter the thing (which the DM later told us should have proven to be a pretty big challenge). Not bad for a guy who was only 4 feet tall.

My first time DMing didn't go so well, all the players quit after only a couple of weeks. My newest campaigns have been going pretty nicely though, so things are looking up!

28. - Top - End - #28

BardGuy

*The first time I played D&D Elf was your race and your class

*Rogue got a percentage to its climb and pick pocket results each level

And a 19 Str MEANT Something

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

I played a 3.5 (simplified) Cleric at level one with a bunch of other newbies in a one-shot. There wasn't any roleplaying, and I was a little bored with my small set of spell options on the pre-gen character. I went with Cleric because it was presented as a Wizard who could still hit things when he ran out of spells. XD The lack of leveling, roleplaying, or resting for new spells kind of put me off it for some time.

I was the guy who came up with clever solutions break people's falls down a hole and other things like that. :P

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Rolled a diplomacy check... most influential roll I ever made and it sparked my interest in optimization.
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin