Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Call of the Wild

Prologue-The Gathering of Prophets

Apush.

A council of Dwarves sit deep within their cavernous capital, a map of the world sitting before them. Too long they have been hiding within their impenetrable continent. It was time to return to the world once more, and if it was not to their liking, reform it.

Kilicora.

A meeting between representatives the Bronze Gnome Collective and the Jungle Gnome Tribes has just concluded. Though nothing official has been written, all involved feel excited about the process of collaboration with their long lost cousins against a hostile world.

Icecastle.

The various Chieftans of the Halfling Tribes have come together for the annual Wildmeet once more. They dislike the arrival of newcomers on their shore. The intrusion of the smooth-skins. The time has come to strike back, many say. Icefang and Forstspear stand firm against the mob mentality, but plans are already in motion to remove Icefang from Grand Chieftanhood.

Har-Shadan.

A huge slave revolt has begun, led by the kobolds and a messiah figure calling himself the Sleeping Song. In the silken halls of Al-Shiram, the Thar and his council prepare for a counter-attack, though feeling secure in the power of the Elven state. Meanwhile, the revolt pushes more and more Elves from their homes.

Crossroads Island.

As ever, wares are being sold, bargains being struck, and all manner of trades are being praticed. The Brothers of Orobrous and the Arcanists are no longer in open conflict with the Sons of the Forge and the Soil Kings, but old grudges are slow to be forgotten. Yet, in a shadowy room long forgotten by men, six shadowy figures sit, plotting humanity's next moves.

Malthan.

The giants are on the move again. It's been decades since the last stampede, and the orckin know that when the giants stampede, it is never a good omen. Many shamans find the ancestors strangely silent, while others are discovering ancestral spirits they never knew they had. And a lone tribe marches toward a sacred wood, where their shaman tells them a new journey might be found.

Six unknowing mortals wandered through the wood, feeling themselves drawn towards its center, where three ancient, slumbering spirits awaited them.

Who arrived first?
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Call of the Wild

With strong, purpose-filled strides, Starke steps into the clearing, Lucy protectively close behind him. He marvels in the beauty of the place for a moment, smiling at the fact that there are still some places no taint has yet touched. His right hand wanders instinctively to his sword, and while he does clasp the hilt, he does not draw the giant blade.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    I like Fred. I shall make him an honorary Pimpsquatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    I love Fred because he returned from the dead in a form that doesn't hunger for the flesh of the living! Also, he's a nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MageOfCakes View Post
    You're chibi and that's awesome. n_n

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Sonya lurks at the edge, staring at the man with the lion, wondering whether he was a threat.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Wild Empathy" - (1d20+17)[21]

It probably wouldn't shock people in or around a clearing with a Lion in it to hear the call of a Lion.

But as Starke, Lucy, and anyone not directly in front of Starke would instantly know, it wasn't the Lion in the clearing who had made the call.

Not Hungry, not mating, not my range

Lions (obviously) don't have any real language, but they can convey some basic emotions through their calls. Like 'Go Away', 'Hungry/Not Hungry' and the like. A combination of reasons as to why she didn't feel like fighting was the closest Ainariel could get to saying 'I come in peace'.

Slowly, she emerged from the trees, following the same route Starke and Lucy had taken. It wasn't a coincidence - ever since she and Matmellon had been forced down to ground, Ainariel had been following the easiest paths available for the sake of her (dire) Eagle. And the easiest route into the clearing was to follow Starke and Lucy's trail.

The Eagle was one of the reasons for her slow approach (not startling the Lion being the other). For not only was the bird a slow walker, but it was rather dubious about the idea of approaching a ground predator while stuck on the ground herself. It was only Ainariel's hand on her neck that kept her moving forwards. She was bucking a little in her Druid's grasp... just little movements to show that she was unhappy with the situation, but following regardless.

Ainariel, for her part, was hoping Matmellon would settle down before she wrenched her arm out of the socket. Unlike Starke and Lucy, who were each other's equal in strength, Ainariel was hopelessly outclassed by her eagle...

It probably looked quite ridiculous, the little elf (appearing to be barely more than a little girl) in the dirty tunic and silver-trimmed cloak, leading a monster that she could not possibly have controlled had it decided to leave, towards a Half-Giant and a Lion...

...and the advance finally came to an end, Ainariel not stopping until she was inside both the clearing... and Lucy's dash-and-pounce range. But then, she wouldn't have been an experienced Druid if she hadn't been confident in her ability to befriend random animals...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Crisal shivered as he wandered through the forests, lost and alone in a place where everybody was big enough to hurl him like a log. He had seen roving packs of giants before, truly a dangerous omen. Fortunately, though, his small and unobtrusive size made forest navigation and avoiding harm very simple.

He noticed others in a nearby clearing: bigger, stronger, and one of them was backed up by a lion. They outnumbered him, and if they wanted to do the halfling harm even the little elf girl would probably match his strength. Were they friendly? Were they hostile? Only one way to find out.

Slowly and solemnly, Crisal stepped into the clearing.
    Epic Crashatar by the amazing Crimmy!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Cadmael ducked under a low branch and stepped into the clearing. The Eagle had lead him to Crossroads Island, true, but he had still been drawn here. He looked around at the others, noted that all but perhaps one were smaller than him and relaxed slightly. A pressure, a hum too deep to hear with the ears on his head pulsed around him. This is the place...
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

7. - Top - End - #7

Starke relaxes a little, releasing his grip on his sword. As his hands rest at his sides, Lucy also relaxes, lieing down behind Starke's legs.
    "Well, it seems we're not alone here then." his voice booms across the clearing.
    His stance shifts slightly, still imposing via the virtue of his size, but no longer threatening.
    "I appreciate honesty over sneakyness, and would prefer this whole situation be solved without fighting. My name is Starke, and I'm here simply because it feels like where I need to be."
    Spoiler
    Show
    I love Fred because he returned from the dead in a form that doesn't hunger for the flesh of the living! Also, he's a nice guy.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Who said anything about sneaking?" Ainariel's voice sounded rather different when she was speaking to non-felines. A lot less like a Lion, for a start.

"I'd have probably caught up with you ages ago if this birdie was a little faster on her talons..." The pat she aimed at Matmelon's beak was very affectionate. The but she received in return nearly staggered her.

Still, all this went to show: However close you feel to animals, ignoring your surroundings to concentrate on the Lion you want to play with will result in you missing things. Such as Crisal and Cadmael...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Crisal looked nervously at the massive half-giant and his lion. They were easily the most massive and frightening of this little group. However, his expression seemed to calm as the man shifted to a less imposing stance. Judging by his words, he didn't want to start a fight either.

"I-I'm not trying to sneak . . . I'm Crisal, and I'm here looking for someone . . . someone important to me . . . "

Trusting a group of perfect strangers with info as important as who he was looking for? Not something Crisal was really comfortable with.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Cadmael nods. "I'm Cadmael Gadwaldr, ordained shaman and warrior of the Oakheart tribe. I'm here for the same reason as Starke, more or less. I need to be."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Slowly, Sonya emerges from the trees, looking at them all with curiosity and distrust. Currently, she is in her wolfen form.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

As Therro wanders through the wood, not quite knowing the way, he ponders the possible reasons he was unable to fly. "Could the sacred grove be in danger? Could the Sky Father be in danger? Is this another test from the Fath-?" his train of thought cut off by the realization that he is standing just past the edge of the grove already. "Oh! Hello there." It seems he's walked into some sort of meeting. Almost as many animals as not, and a great variety in appearance. Therro pulls off his hood and puts on a friendly face. "I didn't mean to intrude on your gathering."
    Last edited by Amakule; 2012-06-09 at 04:27 AM.
    Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13

"No need to apologise little one. It seems we're all welcome here for one reason or another."
    Starke's smile is genuine and gentle, almost soothing.
    He then turns towards Sonya.
    "I thought I smelled Wolf. There is nothing to worry about little one, there are no foes here."
    He slowly drops down to one knee to look her in the eye, and removes his sword from its sheath, laying it down on the ground to show both her and everyone else that he doesn't mean to fight anyone here.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Therro steps further out and looks comfortable, at east, and harmless."Then, again pardon my interference, but might I know what you are all gathered here for?" His curiosity leading him, Therro hopes the people here are related to his summons.
    Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #15

"I am not sure I know entirely. But I know that right now, I need to be here, wherever here even is. Nevertheless, no matter what reason we are here for, we've truly found a blessed place. There are too few pure places of nature left. Too little land untouched by greedy hands."
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

"At first I was here to find somebody, but something about this place . . .

It just feels like I need to be here. Like its some kind of sanctuary. I . . . I don't know how to explain it, but it just does . . ."

Crisal was not an expert wordsmith, even when his usual nervousness was calmed by an oddly friendly half-giant.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    "No need to apologise little one. It seems we're all welcome here for one reason or another."
    Starke's smile is genuine and gentle, almost soothing.
    He then turns towards Sonya.
    "I thought I smelled Wolf. There is nothing to worry about little one, there are no foes here."
    He slowly drops down to one knee to look her in the eye, and removes his sword from its sheath, laying it down on the ground to show both her and everyone else that he doesn't mean to fight anyone here.
    She stares distrustfully, and then a soft green glow envelops her and her form shifts, changing in the blink of an eye to a humanoid form, pretty, with narrowed purple eyes and hair of the same deep black of her fur. Her hair lies in a loose ponytail, and she wears a dark shirt, and a skirt, slit at the sides.

"You are in my forest." she says, but she sounds a little uncertain about it. Something seems to be telling her to trust them.

18. - Top - End - #18

"None can truly own somewhere as lovely as this place little one. Just as the Lion, although king of the Savannah, does not own the land itself, the wolf does not own the forest. Besides, now is not the time to be fighting over territory."
    Starke picks his sword back up off of the ground and sheathes it quickly before rising to his full height.
    "To soil this sacred place with bloodshed would be a true crime."
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

"Just what I'd expect from one of yours." she says dismissively. "The forest is no less mine for your belief. Regardless, I don't need to drive you out yet."

20. - Top - End - #20

"It is wise not to bother a sleeping lion little one. And if you think for a second you have half a chance of making me go anywhere, you have quite the surprise in store."
    Starke growls, and for a split second his smile and calm demeanor are gone, replaced by an expression entirely feral in nature.
    Lucy follows suit, standing between Starke and Sonya, eerily quiet but staring intently at her, not backing down until Starke places a hand on her head and shakes his own quietly.
    "Nevertheless, we were all drawn here for a reason. There is no need for fighting because of old grudges forged by the old of our kind."
    Starke sighs and whispers softly.
    "Useless strength without discipline. Pointless fury without control."
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Sonya doesn't even bat an eyelid. "I already said that you may stay. The prey is plentiful, and lions do not feed on wolves. Regardless, something about this clearing tells me we are all meant to meet here."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Cadmael looks around the loose circle. "So, none of us have a concrete reason why we're here? But we all arrived at the same time at the same place. If you were Orckin, I'd say this was the work of the Ancestors."

23. - Top - End - #23

"This is the work of something higher than us indeed. If it is the Orckin ancestors so be it. Any being, divine or not, that can preserve a place such as this is worth paying some attention too."
    Last edited by Fredaintdead; 2012-06-09 at 02:22 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

"Indeed."
    A voice rang out through the trees, loud, but old and tired. It seemed to come from all directions, echoing through the forest and bouncing from the trees. Both Starke and Sonya can feel the earth rumble beneath their feet, as though something deep below the ground was tunneling it's way to the surface.

"Welcome, children."
    A second voice boomed forth. It too was old, but full of vigor and energy. It sounded from the sky above, and a fierce wind blew down upon the assembled six, as though a storm suddenly had riled itself up. Cadmael and Therro could both feel electric energy running across their skin, as though the air itself were charged, about to burts.

"It is time."
    A third voice spoke. It crashed over the assembled six like a tidal wave, almost being loud enough to hurt, and then quiet as the wave sliding back out to sea. The air filled with the smell of the sea, salty and heavy. AinariŽl and Crisal felt the earth tilt back and forth under their feet, as though they were on a ship once more.

From the earth burst a huge column of stone, glowing with a strange green light. From the sky fell, like a flash of lightning, another monolith, glowing with a gray light the color of storm clouds. A third monolith seemed to form itself out of the water of the spring, glowing a dark blue, the color of deepest ocean.

"We are the greatest among the Fey. I am Mother Earth."
    "I am Father Sky."
    "I am Lord Oceanus.
    "We have called each of you here for a special purpose."
    "The world has grown sick, and twisted."
    "It's people use and abuse our gifts."

"And we grow tired of it!

"So we charge you six with this task."
    "You shall have a year and a day."
    "Convince the mortals of this world to treat us with greater respect, and to value the world they live in."

"Or we shall destroy this world and start anew!"
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

25. - Top - End - #25

"As the fey command. This world will hear a Lion roar in defiance one last time at least."
    Starke drops to one knee in reverance of the three great spirits.
    "The denizens of this world, man and beast alike, can and will be saved."
    Last edited by Fredaintdead; 2012-06-09 at 06:14 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"On a practical note..." Just because Ainariel found the manifestations of nature impressive, didn't stop her mind from switching quickly to the likely problems they'd encounter. "Will you be doing anything to help, or are we on our own? For instance, would you make an example of the first nation that refused to listen to us, so that the others would take our message seriously? Would you help with transport for those of us not used to traversing great distances in a hurry?" She meant the wolf lady there. Someone who'd likely never been outside the current forest probably didn't have arrangements made for intercontinental travel... "Powerful as I, and presumeably the others present, have become... I don't think the six of us are enough to force a major nation to obey without your help..."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Sonya gives a dubious nod.
    "The world without only dubiously deserves such a chance." she spits. "...but I for one will do as I can."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Cadmael kneels at the manifestation of divine power before him. "If by my life or death, I can serve you, I will. I offer you my sword."
    Last edited by Wyntonian; 2012-06-10 at 08:18 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

This was not amongst the things Therro expected to happen, but he showed no sign of concern. Only awe sprawled across his gentle face. When they finish, he bows his head, saying only "I accept your quest."
    Last edited by Amakule; 2012-06-10 at 07:09 AM.
    Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Unlike the others, Crisal wasn't so calm. He looked nervously from side to side as voices rumbled from all sides. The ground shook beneath his feet and strange monoliths emerged from the earth, land, and sky, but halfway through he noticed he wasn't trembling anymore. His fear was gone, replaced solely by determination.

This was where he was meant to be. This was the call of the wild, and he was going to heed it.

He looked at the others, slowly starting to kneel. Some of them were unreadable, obviously impressed with nature's spectacle. The talking wolf sounded almost hostile: would she want the world destroyed? In contrast, the friendly half-giant (Starke, was it?) had the same viewpoint as he harbored. At least Crisal would have one ally in the quest to save mankind and nature alike.

Crisal started to kneel, at first with unsteadiness but soon with surprisingly great vigor for a creature so small. The halfling reverently sat on one knee, head bowed so low that he nearly touched the floor.

"I-I may be small, but I will do my best to serve the forces of nature. I . . . I won't fail you!"