New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Slightly-Homebrewed, Steampunk-y mercenary camp! (ECL 1 to 13)[WIP, PEACH]

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Snip, about weapons
    Debby (whose brain has brain damage now)
    Fixed the Str thing, but i'd really like to keep the penalties at -2/-2
    The Lightning Rods and Clubs explicitely act as masterwork Light maces and Clubs, plus some electricity-based bonuses.
    It is exotic in that it needs a feat to work, but it is treated as a light weapon for all purposes (qualification for Lightning maces, for example)
    I only gave them a proficiency to avoid potential players using them.

This is homebrew after all, right?
    Would it be ok if i wrote: "Lightning Rods count for all intents and purposes (including qualification for weapon-specific feats and penalties for the Two-Weapon Fighting feat) as Masterwork quality Light maces" ?

I know usually Exotic means -4 on TWF attacks, but i really don't want to give them that penalty.

P.S. does the squad leader have an inferior version of the lightning rod? The listed the damage there as 2 electricity instead of 1d6. Is that a masterwork weapon as well or just a standard one because it isn't noted.
    Yes, it's a weaker Lightning Rod, with less electricity damage, less damage on double-hit and no Lightning bolt effect
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Slightly-Homebrewed, Steampunk-y mercenary camp! (ECL 1 to 13)[WIP, PEACH]

The lightning club is an exotic weapon not a light weapon.
    I thought exotic weapons could be light? See: Kama, Siangham, etc.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    Awesome, so i have also RAW-Support.
    Still waiting for the author of the Alchemist class to answer me, though
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    Yes, they can be. See Sandstorm for examples. I am not as familiar with non-core books so it took me a while to sort this out.

Here is the Squad Leader's attack lines accounting for masterwork weapons.

Attack: Mwk lightning club +6 melee (1d6+2 plus 2 electricity )
    Full Attack: 2 mwk lightning clubs +4 melee (1d6+2 plus 2 electricity)

There are also a few missteps with how these should work as special abilities.

Lightning Strike(Ex): Lightning Clubs are the main weapons of these units.
    They count for all intents and purposes (including qualification for weapon-specific feats and penalties for the Two-Weapon Fighting feat) as Masterwork quality Light maces, and the electricity running through them adds 2 electricity damage to each melee attack.
    Saying they count as masterwork, light, and maces just for the TWF feat in effect means that they are none of those things.

Additionally, if a Squad Leader hits a foe with both weapons in the same round, a strong current runs through the foe's body, inflicting 1d6 electricity damage (2d6 if the enemy is wearing metallic armor).
    I just noticed that they do 1d6 points of electricity damage if they hit with both clubs in the same round. Gandariel, you may want to revise that to say that the clubs do an additional 1d6 points of damage if they hit in the same round because they do 4 points together which is better than the average of 1d6.

Also, why is this under "Special Abilities" instead of a new weapon? The clubs do not need to count as maces for any feats. If there was a save to avoid or halve the additional damage, then this would be a Special Ability.

Here is how I think it should read:

Lightning Strike Ex: Masterwork lightning clubs are the main weapons of these units. They are Exotic Light weapons that deal 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage plus 2 points of electricity damage to each melee attack. If a Squad Leader hits a foe with both weapons in the same round, a strong current runs through the foe's body, inflicting an additional 1d6 points of electricity damage (2d6 if the enemy is wearing metallic armor) unless the foe succeeds on a DC 13 Fortitude save to halve the additional damage only. The save is Constitution-based.

Now onto the Lightning Lieutenant's Lighting Rods:

Attack: Mwk lightning rod +11 melee (1d6+3 plus 1d6 electricity)
    Full Attack: 2 mwk lightning rods +9/+4 melee (1d6 +3 plus 1d6 electricity)

Again there are some issues with the how the Special Ability is worded.

This is how it is worded:
    Lightning Strike(Ex): Lightning Rods are the main weapons of these units.
    They count for all intents and purposes (including qualification for weapon-specific feats and penalties for the Two-Weapon Fighting feat) as Masterwork quality Light maces"
    That isn't as clear as it should be. Counting for the feat doesn't actually give them the qualities.

This needs to be reworded to say, "Masterwork lightning rods are the main weapons of these units. They are Exotic Light weapons and count as maces for the Lightning Maces Feat. " Since the lightning rods are more powerful than the lightning clubs, there is no save to avoid the additional electricity damage inflicted when a foe is hit by both rods in the same round, though you should state it explicitly.

Once per minute, as a Standard Action, a Lieutenant can activate the devastating power of his or her lightning rod and fire either a single lightning bolt dealing 7d6 points of electricity damage or fire two smaller lightning bolts, each dealing 3d6 points of electricity damage (for both versions, a DC 15 Reflex save halves the damage).
    This is a bit confusing. This appears to be a ray or a ranged touch attack. Does this only hit a single target? A normal lightning bolt would deal 1d6 points of damage to all creatures in an area (I'd say within 30 feet and no target can be more than 30 feet apart) but you've left off all the important information. How many targets? For the single bolt are you using just one lightning rod or two combined? If you are making one action with each rod, how far apart can the targets be? It appears the save is Constitution-based.

Here is how I think the text should read:

Lightning Strike (Ex): Masterwork lightning rods are the main weapons of these units. They are Exotic Light weapons that deal 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage plus 1d6 points of electricity damage. They count as maces for the Lightning Maces Feat.

If a Lieutenant hits a foe with both weapons in the same round, a strong current runs through the foe's body, inflicting an additional 1d6 points of electricity damage (2d6 if the enemy is wearing metallic armor). There is no save for this damage.

Once per minute, as a Standard Action, a Lieutenant can activate the devastating power of his or her lightning rod and fire either a single lightning bolt using both weapons on a single target within 60 feet, causing 7d6 points of electricity damage to the target, or fire two smaller lightning bolts (one from each of his lightning rods) at two targets who may be no further than 30 feet apart, causing 3d6 points of electricity damage to each target. For both versions, a DC 15 Reflex save halves the damage. The save is Constitution-based.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2012-06-26 at 12:36 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, they can be. See Sandstorm for examples. I am not as familiar with non-core books so it took me a while to sort this out.

Here is the Squad Leader's attack lines accounting for masterwork weapons.

Attack: Mwk lightning club +6 melee (1d6+2 plus 2 electricity )
    Full Attack: 2 mwk lightning clubs +4 melee (1d6+2 plus 2 electricity)

There are also a few missteps with how these should work as special abilities.

Saying they count as masterwork, light, and maces just for the TWF feat in effect means that they are none of those things.

I just noticed that they do 1d6 points of electricity damage if they hit with both clubs in the same round. Gandariel, you may want to revise that to say that the clubs do an additional 1d6 points of damage if they hit in the same round because they do 4 points together which is better than the average of 1d6.

Also, why is this under "Special Abilities" instead of a new weapon? The clubs do not need to count as maces for any feats. If there was a save to avoid or halve the additional damage, then this would be a Special Ability.

Here is how I think it should read:

Lightning Strike Ex: Masterwork lightning clubs are the main weapons of these units. They are Exotic Light weapons that deal 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage plus 2 points of electricity damage to each melee attack. If a Squad Leader hits a foe with both weapons in the same round, a strong current runs through the foe's body, inflicting an additional 1d6 points of electricity damage (2d6 if the enemy is wearing metallic armor) unless the foe succeeds on a DC 13 Fortitude save to halve the additional damage only. The save is Constitution-based.

Now onto the Lightning Lieutenant's Lighting Rods:

Attack: Mwk lightning rod +11 melee (1d6+3 plus 1d6 electricity)
    Full Attack: 2 mwk lightning rods +9/+4 melee (1d6 +3 plus 1d6 electricity)

Again there are some issues with the how the Special Ability is worded.

This is how it is worded:
    That isn't as clear as it should be. Counting for the feat doesn't actually give them the qualities.

This needs to be reworded to say, "Masterwork lightning rods are the main weapons of these units. They are Exotic Light weapons and count as maces for the Lightning Maces Feat. " Since the lightning rods are more powerful than the lightning clubs, there is no save to avoid the additional electricity damage inflicted when a foe is hit by both rods in the same round, though you should state it explicitly.

This is a bit confusing. This appears to be a ray or a ranged touch attack. Does this only hit a single target? A normal lightning bolt would deal 1d6 points of damage to all creatures in an area (I'd say within 30 feet and no target can be more than 30 feet apart) but you've left off all the important information. How many targets? For the single bolt are you using just one lightning rod or two combined? If you are making one action with each rod, how far apart can the targets be? It appears the save is Constitution-based.

Here is how I think the text should read:

Lightning Strike (Ex): Masterwork lightning rods are the main weapons of these units. They are Exotic Light weapons that deal 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage plus 1d6 points of electricity damage. They count as maces for the Lightning Maces Feat.

If a Lieutenant hits a foe with both weapons in the same round, a strong current runs through the foe's body, inflicting an additional 1d6 points of electricity damage (2d6 if the enemy is wearing metallic armor). There is no save for this damage.

Once per minute, as a Standard Action, a Lieutenant can activate the devastating power of his or her lightning rod and fire either a single lightning bolt using both weapons on a single target within 60 feet, causing 7d6 points of electricity damage to the target, or fire two smaller lightning bolts (one from each of his lightning rods) at two targets who may be no further than 30 feet apart, causing 3d6 points of electricity damage to each target. For both versions, a DC 15 Reflex save halves the damage. The save is Constitution-based.

Debby
    Thank you for your corrections, i'm editing now.
    One thing though, the saves are not Con-based or anything, it's just peculiar of the weapon (it would make little sense, it's not a part of the charachter or anything)
    So yeah. your wrong.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    Thank you for your corrections, i'm editing now.
    One thing though, the saves are not Con-based or anything, it's just peculiar of the weapon (it would make little sense, it's not a part of the character or anything)
    You have both Lightning Strike and Thuunderbolt listed as Extraordinary Attacks and the saves for weapons are determined by the attack. How did you arrive at DC 15?

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2012-06-26 at 05:10 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

You have both Lightning Strike and Thuunderbolt listed as Extraordinary Attacks and the saves for weapons are determined by the attack. How did you arrive at DC 15?

Debby
    My intention was for it to be a charachteristic of the weapon, independent from the user. it would make little sense that you strenght or Constitution make your lightning bolts stronger, when the ability is NOT originated from you, but the weapon.

UPDATE:
    Exams days are finishing, i'll be soon able to post MOAR!
    So yeah. your wrong.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

So am I correct in saying that you're alright with this being used in campaigns that those of us here run? They would actually fit in pretty well to one I plan on doing sometime within the next few months, and I'd like to use them if you don't mind.
    καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει, καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν. John 1:05

Thanks to Cuthalion for the awesome avatar!

78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

Spoiler
    Show
    A camp of cyclops on a partially-dead magically-blighted plain.

ThiagoMartel:
    Anime is a media, not a genre. Banning something for being 'too anime' is like banning something for being 'too book'.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    My intention was for it to be a characteristic of the weapon, independent from the user. it would make little sense that you strength or Constitution make your lightning bolts stronger, when the ability is NOT originated from you, but the weapon.

UPDATE:
    Exams days are finishing, i'll be soon able to post MOAR!
    Special attacks that require a save should be based on the wielder's ability as the DC needs definition. It's a formula that works for CR. Once you start messing with that, you have all kinds of headaches. It isn't that the wielder's Con or Str makes the your lightning bolts stronger, it's just how it sets the DC of the attack. The actual damage is set by the weapon.

Otherwise, using your weapons is not an extraordinary ability and anyone can pick one up an use it (with the right feats). If that's how you see it, then simply remove the extraordinary abilities from your stat blocks and create the weapons as just normal weapons without any extraordinary functions.

Debby

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Forgive my double post -- I tried to edit my earlier one and it comes up blank! Something is not working correctly and I've only noticed this problem in the last few days.

Here is how the lightning rod looks as a normal weapon.

Lightning Rods
    Lightning rods are Exotic Light weapons which deal 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage plus 2d6 points of electricity damage to their target (+3d6 if the target is wearing metallic armor). They also count as light maces for qualifying for weapon-specific feats, such as the Lightning Maces Feat.

Furthermore, they can be used in tandem by anyone with the appropriate feats to fire a devastating lightning bolt with a maximum range of 60 feet. If fired at a single target, the target takes 7d6 points of electricity damage. The tandem lightning bolt attack can be also be fired at two targets who may not be further than 30 feet apart, causing 3d6 points of electricity damage to each target. It takes one minute to recharge the rods for these attacks and the wielder must make a successful attack roll to hit the target(s).

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2012-07-20 at 03:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

t takes one minute to charge the rods for these attacks and the wielder must make a successful attack roll to hit the target(s).

Debby
    This makes it sound to me like the attack happens 1 minute after you declare it. Try "after using this ability, it requires 1 minute for the rods to recharge so the lightning bolts may be used again, this does not effect the bonus damage for melee attacks, or any other function of the weapon".
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    This makes it sound to me like the attack happens 1 minute after you declare it. Try "after using this ability, it requires 1 minute for the rods to recharge so the lightning bolts may be used again, this does not effect the bonus damage for melee attacks, or any other function of the weapon".
    That's fine too. I just edited the text to say that it takes one minute to recharge the weapon for the lightning bolt attack. It is safe to presume the weapon is already charged the first time you go to use it.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2012-07-20 at 03:55 PM.