New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default So...I got a resume.

For D&D playing. Is...is this a thing? Is making a full resume of your gaming history popular now, and I just missed it, or am I surrounded by crazy?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: So...I got a resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    For D&D playing. Is...is this a thing? Is making a full resume of your gaming history popular now, and I just missed it, or am I surrounded by crazy?
    Yeah, you're surrounded by crazy
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

"Here are my nerd credentials, I think you'll find that I am obvious and objectively the best roleplayer interested in your game. :smug:"

Sadly, this is not the most embarrassing thing I have seen regarding D&D players.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, I can't think of anything more pointless than a gaming resume. How much time you've spent playing this or that doesn't translate directly to mastery or to how interesting you are to play with or how well you get along with others.

The only purpose I could see to a resume is to give contact information from your last group to make sure you weren't kicked out for being a jerk.
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I guess if someone was asking for a PbP DM, I might say something like "I know this system, here's a game I ran, went well." and give a link or something. But a resume, per se? No.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jerthanis View Post
    Wow, I can't think of anything more pointless than a gaming resume. How much time you've spent playing this or that doesn't translate directly to mastery or to how interesting you are to play with or how well you get along with others.

The only purpose I could see to a resume is to give contact information from your last group to make sure you weren't kicked out for being a jerk.
    It was for in-person games. Also, it had a rather lengthy list of games played. Almost all of them were d20 variants.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm running a Pathfinder game now and I did try to find out roughly how much experience players had with 3.5 before hand, but that informal and essentially just to get some idea of what sort of things would go well, how much to expect in terms of optimization, etc.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I've seen it for LARPs. Makes more sense in that environment though since you're being cast as a character.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I've got a resume for D&D playing... in my signature, actually. But it is for PbP, if that helps to make me appear less of a dork: I just think it makes sense, if I'm expressing interest in a game, to let the DM know what sort of game I like and what my usual playstile is, so they can decide if I'm a good fit for their game or not.

A full resume for in-person games, with a list of all games played... yeah, that's a bit silly, I admit.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

If a prospective player handed me a gaming resume, I'd probably spend a good fifteen seconds waiting for the punchline. Asking what type of game someone prefers or whether they've used a system before is one thing, but formal resumes cross the line into 'socially isolated neckbeard' territory.
    Last edited by Dire Panda; 2012-06-21 at 04:49 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

While it's a bit much, I'm not sure there is anything wrong with it. I might ask some in depth questions about preferences for house rules, aid with new players and take the chance to explain what the game will be like.

Having a good player on your side is always a bonus as a dm.
    "... people like things that are good."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Neither. A single individual did something that's somewhat outside your usual range of experiences, but overall quite harmless. Happens all the time, really, in that wonderfully woven fabric of what we call Life.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vladislav View Post
    Neither. A single individual did something that's somewhat outside your usual range of experiences, but overall quite harmless. Happens all the time, really, in that wonderfully woven fabric of what we call Life.
    Quoted just so everybody will read it twice.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I think that this is standard on the Mythweavers site, and it almost makes sense for a play by post site, provided that it is basically just a list of games which can be played or books that the group can access collectively or something. In person though, it seems utterly pointless.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

An early issue of The Dragon had an article proposing a way to measure D&D playing experience points, so you could announce, "I'm a sixth level player and a fourth level DM."

It was the funniest thing in the magazine.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

I imagine that a previous group wanted one out of him, so he wrote one up for them. Afterward, in the horrific amount of free time which many have for their hobby, he probably said: "F*** it, I don't want to rewrite this thing from scratch, so I'll just update the one I have in case Tyndmyr wants it".

Personally, I think it shows that this guy cares about the game, and is willing to put serious work into it. Whether he's a good player remains to be seen. If he gave you contact info for previous DMs/groups, you could even call them for advice on the matter

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post
    I've got a resume for D&D playing... in my signature, actually. But it is for PbP, if that helps to make me appear less of a dork: I just think it makes sense, if I'm expressing interest in a game, to let the DM know what sort of game I like and what my usual playstile is, so they can decide if I'm a good fit for their game or not.

A full resume for in-person games, with a list of all games played... yeah, that's a bit silly, I admit.
    Oh, no, this was rather more complex. List of games played, preferred char classes, length of time played, etc.

I found out that some of the formality was unintentional. It was a passed along thing that was a scribbled note, but the passer typed it up formally out of habit. This is something of a relief. I was very worried about the sort of player that claimed to take D&D "seriously", wrote up an entire resume for it, and misspelled the word "homebrew".

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think you're surrounded by crazy. I'm not saying that this person is crazy. I'm just saying banana hedgehog air-o-plane WEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeee!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gravitron5000 View Post
    I think you're surrounded by crazy. I'm not saying that this person is crazy. I'm just saying banana hedgehog air-o-plane WEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeee!
    I am building an airplane and trying to find a pet hedgehog. Additionally, we just solved "the banana situation". This makes far too much sense.

I may just be surrounded by crazy.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

It's a bit odd, but I don't see a particular problem with it. A resume, in theory, is just a capsule of experience. A lot of this comes out in conversation, certainly, but with a lot of face to face groups first meeting on-line, I can see a resume coming in handy to introduce people to your gaming experience, even if they haven't been following the conversation.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

That's a little.... odd.
    Personally, I would look at the resume and say "That's lovely, now let's talk about stuff I really care about." The issue with "RPG resumes" vs. a real resume is that a lot of what you put on a real resume (and on a real portfolio) can be verified. Anything other than a PBP is a little more difficult to verify, unless the player asks all of his DMs "can I use you as a reference?" Even then, it doesn't really tell you much about the character that he is going to play in your campaign. He might have been a wonderful lawful evil fighter, but is awful in a campaign where he can't be a douche.
    Also, where is this that people are giving RPG resumes in real life???? I've played with about 30 or so dnd players, and most of them would recoil at the statement "where's your resume?" (probably because then it makes dnd sound like work, rather than fun). If this is at a game store in a major city, where dozens of people are constantly in and out, I can be a bit more sympathetic. In an area where everyone knows each other... no.
    I think I just had an evilgasm!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

If they want to show off, they should include a writing sample, a cool character background, or just share one of their favorite moments from another campaign.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I may just be surrounded by crazy.
    Welcome to the Internet world.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I just love how people get all judgmental over something silly like a gaming resume. It might be a joke, it might be serious, but either way, it sounds like someone who uses gaming as their escape from the day to day and takes it seriously. Absolutely no damn need to be insulting about it. I mean, seriously, what's the point?
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.
    I cast irresistable phantasmal killer as a 4th level spell. No save, just die.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RelentlessImp View Post
    I mean, seriously, what's the point?
    Recognition of social standards is important. Those of us who are trying to work with our societies instead of deliberately excluding ourselves from them can benefit from a communal reality check. I'm with the "whatever" crowd, myself, but I certainly see a reason to offer clear opinions on whether some action hurts the person who's doing it. I'd like to not screw up, and I appreciate the feedback I've been able to get (on GitP and elsewhere) about where the boundary is between "enthusiast" and "freakazoid".

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

It's unusual, but not THAT unusual. I've seen postings on message boards for people "looking for group" that ask you to send an e-mail citing your interest and experience. A resume is really just a more formal way of recording that. It make sense when you have limited space and a surplus of interested parties.
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

He heard the DM he would be playing under was Tyndmyr from Giantitp forums, that guy who spends like 14 hours a week debating rules minutae with grognards.

Of course he wrote up a resume, he failed his save VS Frightful Presence.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    He heard the DM he would be playing under was Tyndmyr from Giantitp forums, that guy who spends like 14 hours a week debating rules minutae with grognards.

Of course he wrote up a resume, he failed his save VS Frightful Presence.
    Haha, touche, sir!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think considering the amount of horror stories we hear about terrible players on this forum, a resume makes sense. You dont want to get your last player for a game and find out when you sit down at the table that he's an ass.

Obviously it would have to be well done, not showing that you know the game and are good at it, but that you've had experience working well with people, for example.
    Part of the "Raise Nale and Let Him Serve Life in Prison" fan-club

"The only reason why people didn't like Durkon before was because he is the only member of the group that doesn't commit evil, like hurting others, or breaking the rules for giggles. I.E.' He's not cool'"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Might be good for online games.

I can't even remember how many DMs have bailed without finishing the campaign when it comes to VTTs.

A resume for online games would show that you take your DMing seriously, that you don't abandon ship at the first sign of choppy waters, and that you can make an enjoyable campaign for all those involved.

However, in real life, handing out a resume to show your qualifications as a DM seems completely unnecessary. If someone were to give me a resume in real life, I'd probably toss it in the trash without reading it. I don't care about your old campaigns or what you've done it the past, just give me a good tabletop experience and I'll stick around.