Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Ouroboros [Pathfinder Subsystem. W.I.P.]

Ouroboros

Foreword
    Spoiler
    Show

I can't remember exactly when I first became interested in table top gaming but I do remember that the first roleplaying book I picked up was the original 3rd edition Player's Handbook. I remember checking it out constantly from the library, flipping through to look at all the pictures and trying my best to read it cover to cover. Sure, I never actually got past the beginning of the character creation rules because of my young mind's short attention span for something so voluminous, but I was hooked.

I got into gaming back in my first year of High School, which, if memory serves, occurred at the advent of 3.5 edition. I had a lot of fun that first year as I became familiar with the game and other games like d20 Modern, and they will always be fond memories. Sure, the subsequent three years never matched that golden year and the final year or two left a bad taste in my mouth because the DM took out his relationship inadequacies on the group in the form of a power trip, but DnD was something I loved.

When I graduated, the old group fell apart and I did my best to create my own group out of my brother, cousin and our collective friends. I was not the best teacher for the game and as a result my group picked up some bad habits but we still had a lot of fun trucking with 3.5 edition, even after WoTC abandoned my niche of gaming with the advent of 4th edition.

The good times kept rolling straight into the glory that was the beginning of Pathfinder and not too long prior saw me joining Giants in the Playground. My group kept trucking along but it was becoming apparent that the group was beginning to stall more than it used to and we were always having trouble adding fresh blood to the group and actually managing to keep it.

Maybe at most a little over a year ago I tried my hand at homebrewing. I've never been too dedicated or serious over it, treating it as a fun hobby that sometimes saw my actual gaming table for brief intervals. But as I did homebrew more and more, I found myself loving the mental exercise and enjoying the feedback I received and the instances where people actually placed praise on my work.

Now I find myself groupless (though the group hasn't broken up we stopped playing months ago, but we're trying to start an online gathering pretty soon) and ready to hit the next and most massive homebrewing challenge I see before myself:

I'm going to create my own game system for me and my group to enjoy playing and maybe, just maybe, others will enjoy playing too. I'm going to hammer things out the way I would like to see them work and have something unique and special to roll the dice with instead of some heavily houseruled version of an existing game system.

Thus was the concept of FableHeart born in my mind. For several months now I've bounced ideas around in my head while scribbling and typing down notes when I found something I particularly liked. As of right now, it's nowhere near completed and I haven't even tried to tackle or understand some topics and pieces of it, but I'm going to start forging it piecemeal here on this wonderful forum and with critiquing and some help, hopefully birth something amazing (in my eyes at least).

Well, FableHeart ended up going in a direction that I wasn't really liking. The game play didn't feel fun or fluid as I had thought it would, it didn't really capture the concept I wanted and I was just making a lot more work than was necessary for myself as the creator of it.

So, I'm building Ouroboros in its place and learning from my mistakes. The largest of these (and the one I'll talk about in this blurb) is no excess work. To that end I'm taking a page out of E6's book and making my game a modification of an existing rule set, piggy backing off it except where I want to change things.

Disclaimer
    Spoiler
    Show

Ouroboros is a pen and paper table top game that uses Paizo's Pathfinder rule set. Ouroboros' rules are identical to those presented in the Pathfinder Core Rule Book except as specified in this thread.

Ouroboros and You
    Spoiler
    Show

Though this is a personal project and not a community one, I will be taking a very input oriented stance on building Ouroboros as a game. What this means is that I will be creating what I consider the "bare bones" representation of the variety of things for this game. I will then build piecemeal from there from the things that you all would like to see in the game (archetypes, monsters, feats, etc). So feel free to add your voice to the throng as things go on.

Table of Contents

Update Log
    Spoiler
    Show

6/04/2012 - FableHeart scrapped in favor of Ouroboros rework.

6/07/2012 - Barbarian and Bard Archetypes added.

6/09/2012 - Priest Archetype added.

6/11/2012 - Druid Archetype added.

6/14/2012 - Soldier Archetype added.
    Character creation rules added.
    Skills section (Persuasion) added.
    Martial Artist Archetype added.

6/15/2012 - Salamander added.
    Equipment section (Armor) added.
    Character Creation - Miscellaneous added.
    Combat Section (AC) added.

6/16/2012 - Paladin Archetype added.

6/18/2012 - Gods, The Cosmos and Everything (Planes) section added.
    Races section added.

6/20/2012 - Ranger Archetype added.
    Rules for critical failures and successes added.
    Orc added.
    Thaumatology skill added.
    Half-Orcs updated.
    Scoundrel Archetype added.
    Feats section added.

6/23/2012 - Races section updated. Dhampir, Drow, Duergar, Gillmen, Kitsune, Ratfolk, Slyph, Svirfneblin, Tiefling, and Undine rules added.
    Arcanist archetype added.

6/24/2012 - Bunyip added.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-06-24 at 01:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Project FableHeart [Game System. W.I.P.]

Races

Spoiler
    Show
    Since Ouroboros doesn't use the same magic system or skill system as Pathfinder, use the following changes below for the base races.

Races that possess innate Spell-like abilities do not lose or change them. These simply become unique to that race and are considered Supernatural abilities.

Dhampir
    Spoiler
    Show

Change Negative Energy Affinity to the following: "Though a living creature, a dhampir reacts to Sacred and Profane energy as if it were undead—Sacred energy harms it, while Profane energy heals it."

Drow
    Spoiler
    Show

Remove Spell Resistance and replace with "Inured to Magick: Drow receive a bonus to saving throws against Supernatural effects equal to one quarter their total hit dice (minimum +1). If the effect does not give a save and instead targets their AC, they receive this bonus to their AC instead."

Change Drow Immunities to the following: "Drow are immune to Supernatural sleep effects and get a +2 racial saving throw bonus against Supernatural mind-affecting effects".

Duergar
    Spoiler
    Show

Change Duergar Immunities to the following: "Duergar are immune to paralysis and poison. They gain a +2 racial bonus on saves against Supernatural abilities."

Dwarf
    Spoiler
    Show

Change Hardy to the following: "Dwarves receive a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison and Supernatural abilities".

Elf
    Spoiler
    Show

Change Elven Immunities to the following: "Elves are immune to Supernatural sleep effects and get a +2 racial saving throw bonus against Supernatural mind-affecting effects".

Change Elven Magic to the following: "Elves receive a +2 racial bonus to the DCs of their Supernatural abilities against creatures that receive a bonus against Supernatural abilities. In addition, elves receive a +2 racial bonus on Thaumatology skill checks made to identify the properties of magic items.

Gillmen
    Spoiler
    Show

Change Enchantment Resistance to the following: "Gillmen gain a +2 racial saving throw bonus against non-aboleth Supernatural mind-affecting effects, but take a –2 penalty on such saving throws against aboleth sources.

Gnome
    Spoiler
    Show

Remove the following from Gnome Magic: "Gnomes add +1 to the DC of any saving throws against illusion spells that they cast."
    Change Illusion Resistance to the following: "Gnomes get a +2 racial saving throw bonus against Supernatural mind-affecting effects".

Half-Elf
    Spoiler
    Show

Change Elven Immunities to the following: "Elves are immune to Supernatural sleep effects and get a +2 racial saving throw bonus against Supernatural mind-affecting effects".

Change Multitalented to the following: "Half-elves begin play with one extra Trained skill".

Halfling
    Spoiler
    Show

Change Sure-Footed to the following: "Halflings receive a +2 racial bonus on Acrobatics and Athleticism skill checks."

Half-Orc
    Spoiler
    Show

Replace Darkvision with Low-light vision.
    Change Intimidating to the following: "Half-orcs receive a +2 racial bonus on Persuasion skill checks due to their fearsome nature".

Human
    Spoiler
    Show

Change Skilled to the following: "Humans begin play with one extra Trained skill".

Kitsune
    Spoiler
    Show

Remove the following from Kitsune Magic: "Kitsune add +1
    to the DC of any saving throws against enchantment spells that they cast."

Ratfolk
    Spoiler
    Show

Change Tinkerer to the following: "Ratfolk gain a +2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy), Deception (when using magic items) Perception checks."

Slyph
    Spoiler
    Show

Replace Air Affinity with the following "Fresh Breath: Slyphs are immune to any effect that relies on breathing (such as drowning or inhaling a poisonous vapor)."

Strix
    Spoiler
    Show

Change Suspicious to the following: "Strix receive a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against Supernatural Mind-affecting effects."

Svirfneblin
    Spoiler
    Show

Remove Spell Resistance and replace with "Inured to Magick: Svirfneblin receive a bonus to saving throws against Supernatural effects equal to one half their total hit dice (minimum +1). If the effect does not give a save and instead targets their AC, they receive this bonus to their AC instead."

Remove the following from Svirfneblin: "Svirfneblin add +1 to the DC of any illusion spells they cast."

Tiefling
    Spoiler
    Show

Remove Fiendish Sorcery.

Undine
    Spoiler
    Show

Replace Water Affinity with the following "Water Born: Undine are immune to any effect that changes or manipulates water (such as dessication damage)."
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-06-23 at 08:33 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Character Creation

Step 1: Character Concept

The first and most important step in breathing life into a character to be played in a game of Ouroboros is to decide what exactly you want to play. This can be as simple a decision as "I want to hit things hard" or "I want to help my friends" to as complex as you want it to be. Regardless of that though, you need to at least get a good, firm idea of what you want to play or your character may end up bland or something you don't enjoy living vicariously through.

Step 2: Motivation

Now that you've decided the basic idea of what you want to play, it's time to flesh that out more by deciding what kind of person your character will be. Though there's nothing wrong with just jotting down the basic outline of your character's personality (if you're the kind of guy or girl who just wants to play a hack n' slash especially), but you should take some time to make your character into someone who is interesting to see exist and someone you and your group could potentially identify with. Come up with your character's hopes and dreams, their likes and dislikes, their fears and weaknesses and what their basic driving ideology is.

Step 3: Generate Ability Scores

And now comes the step where you first dive into the actual mechanical crunch that represents your character in the game itself. Player Characters begin play with a 12 in every ability score, representing their existence as heroes who are above the norm. They then have 32 points to customize their ability scores (shown on the table below), but not score can drop below 6 or above 20 at character generation.

As Player Characters increase in level though, they gain additional points to spend on raising their ability scores: 1 point for every level from 1 to 5, 2 points for every level from 6 to 10, and 4 points for every level from 11 to 20, to a grand total of 55 points. These points may be either spent when gained or saved to later but points can only be spent to increase an ability score at level up.

Ability Score Costs
    {table=head]Score|Points
    6|-6
    7|-4
    8|-2
    9|-1
    10|0
    11|1
    12|2
    13|3
    14|5
    15|7
    16|10
    17|13
    18|17
    19|21
    20|26
    21|31
    22|37
    23|42
    24|49
    25|57
    26|65
    27|74
    28|83
    29|93
    30|103[/table]

Step 4: Select a Race

Your next decision is one that impacts both the fluff of your character as well as your crunch. Selecting a specific races not only can directly affect the mindset that your character is coming from but also the way their mechanics function at the outset of creation. It is your choice of course whether you choose a race that has synergy with your overall build thus far or one that is at odds with it to create a more unique and challenging character.

Step 5: Select your Archetypes

Now comes the step where your character has the life truly breathed into them. A Player Character has three Archetypes: A Primary Archetype, a Secondary Archetype and a Tertiary Archetype.

A Primary Archetype is the defining nature of the character; come what ever may happen, this aspect of their person will practically never change. A character's first level must always be in their Primary Archetype and a character can take all 10 levels in their Primary Archetype's class.

A Secondary Archetype fleshes out the character further, representing the things that they are adept at doing but are set further apart from their core nature. A character's Secondary Archetype may change under duress, but this is a rare occurrence. A character can only take 7 levels in their Secondary Archetype's class.

A Tertiary Archetype represents the minor skills that spice up a character but are in no way an integral part of who they are, being something they may have just picked up along the way. A character's connection to their Tertiary Archetype is the most nebulous of the three and the most likely to change from a revelation in their life. A character can only take 3 levels in their Tertiary Archetype's class.

Step 6: Determine your Hit Points
    Player characters are heroes of legend who need only time and effort to flourish up to a status that suits their inner potential; as such they are much tougher than most. A Player's character begins play with 30 hit points, adding on what they rolled for their class hit dice plus their Constitution modifier.

Step 7: Choose Trained Skills

Next comes the selection of skills that a Player's character are considered trained in. A character gets a number of Trained Skills as designated by their Primary Archetype and must select two skills from their Primary Archetype's Favored skills list and one skill from their Secondary Archetype's Favored skill list before selecting any other Trained Skills.

Step 8: Feat Selection

Following skills, a Player then chooses what feats the character has access to. Unless designated otherwise by race or class, a character begins play with one feat and gains an additional feat at every odd level.

Step 9: Miscellaneous

This step is when the extra minor options for a character (such as racial favored class bonuses, traits, etc.) are decided upon.

Step 10: Purchase Gear

The final real step in character creation, a Player has 500 electrum pieces to spend on the weapons, armor, equipment and items that their characters have in their possession. Any iron pieces not spent are retained by the character for later spending.

Step 11: Have Fun!

Congratulations! Your character is now completed and ready to see the game table for the first time! Remember that even though a lot of theory crafting, math and number crunching went into creating your character that the most important thing is not to roll as best you can but to create an organic story around the life of your character that you and your fellow players enjoy taking part in with their own characters as well.

Archetypes

Arcanist
    Spoiler
    Show

"Like a wild stranger out of wizard-land
    He dwelt a little with us, and withdrew;
    Black and unblossomed were the ways he knew,
    Dark was the glass through which his fire eye shined."

Hit Dice: d6
    Favored Skills: Appraise, Craft, Fly, Knowledge (All), Linguistics, Profession and Thaumatology.
    Trained Skills: 3 + Intelligence modifier

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fortitude Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|Special
    1|+0|+0|+0|+2|Arcane Truth, Cantrips
    2|+1|+0|+0|+3|Arcane Truth
    3|+1|+1|+1|+3|Arcane Truth
    4|+2|+1|+1|+4|Arcane Truth
    5|+2|+1|+1|+4|Arcane Truth
    6|+3|+2|+2|+5|Arcane Truth
    7|+3|+2|+2|+5|Arcane Truth
    8|+4|+2|+2|+6|Arcane Truth
    9|+4|+3|+3|+6|Arcane Truth
    10|+5|+3|+3|+7|Grey Wizard[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies
    An arcanist is proficient with all simple weapons, but with no armor or shields.

Arcane Truth
    An arcanist draws upon the natural flow of magic in the world around them, bending and molding it to fit their desires. At each level indicated on the table above, the arcanist selects one of the Arcane Truths below. Unless indicated otherwise, an Arcane Truth is a Supernatural ability, requires a standard action and can be used a number of times per day equal to 1 + half the arcanist's arcanist level + the arcanist's intelligence modifier.

Spoiler
    Show

Arcane Accuracy - The arcanist selects one creature they are adjacent to (including themselves) and touches them, causing any weapon the touched creature wields to feel lighter than it really is. The next attack the creature makes with any weapon gains a bonus equal to the arcanist's arcanist level.

Arcane Barrage - The arcanist selects a number of enemy creatures within 60 feet equal to 1 + 1/2 the arcanist's arcanist level. The selected creatures take 1d6 points of Force damage as they are hit by shaped missiles made of pure force. While these missiles can turn around corners, sufficient cover protects against them. An arcanist can select the same creature more than once.

Charming Attitude - The arcanist gains a bonus on Persuasion skill checks equal to twice their arcanist level. Any creature who is subjected to the Persuasion skill by the arcanist receives a Will save (DC = 10 + 1/2 the arcanist's HD + the arcanist's Intelligence modifier). A successful save means the arcanist does not receive their bonus on Persuasion skill checks. This bonus lasts until the arcanist successfully uses the Persuasion skill to influence a creature or for one hour for every arcanist level they possess.

Feather Fall - The arcanist selects a number of allies that they have line of sight to (including themselves) equal to 1 + one half the arcanist's arcanist level. If the selected allies fall more than 10 feet they are slowed down to moving half their base land speed every round and take no damage at the end of the fall. This ability lasts for one hour for every arcanist level the arcanist possesses.

Floating Disk - The arcanist creates a floating disk made of pure force. The disk is three feet wide and one inch deep, increasing by one foot and one inch for every arcanist level past the first that the arcanist possesses. This disk can hold 100 lbs for every arcanist level the arcanist possesses. The disk has a fly speed of 10 feet with perfect maneuverability and is moved by the arcanist as a free action. The disk lasts until the arcanist is more than 1 mile away from it or until it is dismissed as a free action.

Sleep - The arcanist selects a number of enemy creatures within 60 feet equal to 1 + 1/2 the arcanist's arcanist level. These creatures must make a Will save (DC = 10 + 1/2 the arcanist's HD + the arcanist's Intelligence modifier). If they succeed on the save they are immune to this ability from that arcanist for 24 hours. If they fail on the save they fall asleep and are rendered helpless. Any damage dealt to the creature will awaken it, but it otherwise cannot be woken through normal means. The creature remains asleep for a number of hours equal to the arcanist's arcanist level.

Unseen Armor - The arcanist selects one target they have line of effect to (including themselves). The target is then surrounded by an invisible armor made of pure force, gaining an armor bonus equal to half the arcanist's arcanist level (minimum +1). This armor is considered light armor and is not ignored by incorporeal creatures. This Arcane Truth lasts for 1 hour for every arcanist level the arcanist possesses.

Cantrips [Su]
    An arcanist is capable of bending the winds of magic to produce minor effects that are more parlor tricks than true magic. As a standard action, an arcanist can do any of the following:
    • Create a flame or heatless light source the equivalent of a torch. This lasts for 1 minute per arcanist level they possess.
    • Clean or soil any object(s) that do not fill more than a 10 foot cube per arcanist level they possess.
    • Change the color of any object(s) that do not fill more than a 10 foot cube per arcanist level they possess. This lasts for 1 hour per arcanist level they possess.
    • Warm, chill or flavor food that do not fill more than a 10 foot cube per arcanist level they possess.
    • Create a permanent mark that only the arcanist, and those the arcanist wishes to, can see.
    • Reveal a permanent mark made by an arcanist.
    • Create any object that fits in a person's palm, but the workmanship is crude (if used for a skill, they take a -4 penalty). The object lasts 1 hour per arcanist level they possess.
    • Lift and manipulate an object that weighs no more than 5 pounds.
    • Restore 1d4 hit points to a damaged object.
    • Determine if any form of Supernatural effect is active within 60 feet. Only a basic direction to the source is given. Creatures that possess Supernatural abilities only set this off if using a Supernatural ability at the time.

Grey Wizard
    The arcanist has drawn upon and shaped the pulse of the arcane to such a degree that it is a permanent part of their soul. An arcanist gains the following:
    • The arcanist selects one Arcane Truth they know. A number of times per day equal to their Intelligence modifier they can use it as a swift action instead of as a standard action.
    • The arcanist's Intelligence modifier is considered two points higher for their Arcane Truth and Cantrips class features.
    • The arcanist only ages one year for every two years that pass.

Barbarian
    Spoiler
    Show

"Take note my son, never underestimate the savage nature of that man. He may seem primitive and lacking in skill when giving in to his bloodlust, but only a fool would take this to mean he is any less deadly."

Hit Dice: d12
    Favored Skills: Acrobatics, Athleticism, Craft, Handle Animal, Knowledge (Nature), Perception, Persuasion, Ride, and Survival.
    Trained Skills: 4 + Intelligence modifier

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fortitude Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|Special
    1|+1|+2|+0|+0|Battle Madness, Fast Movement
    2|+2|+3|+0|+0|Crippling Blow, Uncanny Dodge
    3|+3|+3|+1|+1|Trap Sense +1, Tough as Iron
    4|+4|+4|+1|+1|Ignore the Pain
    5|+5|+4|+1|+1|Improved Uncanny Dodge
    6|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|Stunning Strike, Trap Sense +2
    7|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2|Destructive Charge
    8|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2|Grievous Wounds
    9|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3|Death Defied, Trap Sense +3
    10|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3|Blood Lust[/table]

A barbarian is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor and shields (except Tower Shields).

Battle Madness [Ex.]
    A barbarian lives for the din and heat of battle, to feel their steel meet the steel of their foe and to see the blood of their enemies spilt alongside their own. As a free action a barbarian can enter their Battle Madness which lasts for a number of rounds equal to twice their barbarian level plus their Constitution modifier.

For every round the barbarian remains in their Battle Madness they gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls (maximum +20). Every time a barbarian's hit points drop one quarter the amount they started with at the beginning of the Battle Madness, double their current bonus. If a barbarian is rendered unconscious their Battle Madness automatically ends.

A barbarian can enter their Battle Madness a number of times per day equal to 1+their barbarian level.

Fast Movement [Ex.]
    A barbarian's base land speed is increased by 10 feet over their normal speed. This bonus is applied as long as the barbarian is wearing light or no armor and is carrying no more than a medium load. This bonus is applied before any other modifications to the barbarian's speed and stacks with any other movement speed bonuses.

Crippling Blow [Ex.]
    While in the throws of their Battle Madness, a barbarian aims to deal as a cruel a blow as possible to their chosen opponents. As a standard action, a barbarian (with at least a +1 bonus from Battle Madness) makes one attack against an enemy creature that is in range of them. If the attack is successful, the creature must make a DC (10 +1/2 the barbarian's total hit dice+ the barbarian's Strength modifier) Fortitude save. If it fails the save, the creature's movement speed is cut in half for 1d4 rounds in addition to taking normal damage. During this period it can also only take a single standard or move action.

The barbarian reduces it's bonus from Battle Madness by +1 regardless if the attack was successful or not.

Uncanny Dodge [Ex.]
    A barbarian's honed reflexes and sixth sense allows them to react to danger before they're even aware of it. A barbarian cannot be caught flat-footed, nor do they lose their Dexterity bonus to their AC. They still lose their Dexterity bonus if immobilized or feinted.

If the barbarian already has Uncanny Dodge from another source, they instead gain Improved Uncanny Dodge.

Trap Sense [Ex.]
    A barbarian gains a +1 bonus on Reflex saves against traps and gains a +1 dodge bonus to their AC against traps. This bonus increases by +1 for every three barbarian levels afterwards, to a maximum of +3 at ninth.

Tough as Iron [Ex.]
    A barbarian's flesh and muscles becomes a lattice work of scar tissue and steel like cables, allowing them to ignore blows that would kill lesser men. The barbarian gains Damage Reduction that can be bypassed by Adamantine weapons equal to their barbarian level.

Ignore the Pain [Ex.]
    Even when dealt blows that should cripple them the barbarian presses on, never surrendering to the plight of their bodies when there is a foe to kill in their sights. If a barbarian would take damage from a single source that is less than or equal to their Constitution score, they may make a Fortitude save (DC = Damage taken). If successful, half of the damage is instead nonlethal.

Improved Uncanny Dodge [Ex.]
    A barbarian's senses have become honed to such a point that even multiple foes working in tandem are no longer a threat. The barbarian can no longer be flanked and a scoundrel needs to have four more levels than the barbarian in order to affect them with their opportunistic strike.

Stunning Strike [Ex.]
    The blows from a barbarian lost to the Battle Madness are so jarring that they knock the sense from a foe. As a standard action, a barbarian (with at least a +2 bonus from Battle Madness) makes one attack against an enemy creature that is in range of them. If the attack is successful, the creature must make a DC (10 +1/2 the barbarian's total hit dice+ the barbarian's Strength modifier) Fortitude save. If it fails the save, the creature is stunned for 1d4 rounds in addition to taking damage.

The barbarian reduces it's bonus from Battle Madness by +2 regardless if the attack was successful or not.

Destructive Charge [Ex.]
    The barbarian's path between themselves and a foe is almost always littered with carnage. The barbarian gains the Trample special attack, dealing 1d6 points of damage for every two barbarian levels it possesses (maximum 5d6).

Grievous Wounds [Ex.]
    Nothing thrills a barbarian more than to crush their enemies and see their blood spilt like water on the ground. As a standard action, a barbarian (with at least a +3 bonus from Battle Madness) makes one attack against an enemy creature that is in range of them. If the attack is successful, the creature must make a DC (10 +1/2 the barbarian's total hit dice+ the barbarian's Strength modifier) Fortitude save. If fails the save, the creature begins to bleed out, taking 1d6 Bleed damage every round in addition to the normal damage.

The barbarian reduces it's bonus from Battle Madness by +3 regardless if the attack was successful or not.

Death Defied [Ex.]
    Even death is unable to topple and claim a potent enough barbarian, for a time. If a barbarian would be killed by any source while in their Battle Madness they instead act unhindered for that round and reduce their bonus from the Battle Madness by +1. This continues as long as the bonus from the Battle Madness is greater than +0 at the beginning of the next round, otherwise the barbarian dies as normal. The barbarian also dies if their Battle Madness ends. A barbarian who is healed from the point of death before their Battle Madness ends (or their bonus is reduced to 0) falls unconscious but is otherwise stable.

Blood Lust
    The din of battle is all the defines the barbarian now and they have completely embraced this grisly truth of themselves. A barbarian gains the following:

• The barbarian gains a +2 bonus every round while in the Battle Madness instead of +1.
    • The barbarian's current bonus doubles whenever they score a successful critical hit.
    • If a creature dies as a result of the barbarian's Grievous Wounds class feature, the Barbarian heals an amount of hit points equal to his Constitution bonus.

Bard
    Spoiler
    Show

"We are the music-makers. And we are the dreamers of dreams."

Hit Dice: d8
    Favored Skills: Acrobatics, Appraise, Athleticism, Craft, Deception, Escape Artist, Knowledge (All), Linguistics, Perception, Perform, Persuasion, Profession, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Stealth
    Trained Skills: 6 + Intelligence modifier

1|+0|+0|+2|+2|Bardic Knowledge, Spellsong, Spellverse
    2|+1|+0|+3|+3|Deft Ear
    3|+2|+1|+3|+3|Spellverse
    4|+3|+1|+4|+4|Lore Savant, Shielding Harmonics
    5|+3|+1|+4|+4|Spellverse
    6|+4|+2|+5|+5|Jack of all Trades
    7|+5|+2|+5|+5|Spellverse, Quick Performance
    8|+6/+1|+2|+6|+6|Lore Master
    9|+6/+1|+3|+6|+6|Spellverse, Crescendo
    10|+7/+2|+3|+7|+7|Virtuoso[/table]

A bard is proficient with all simple weapons and improvised weapons (musical instruments), light armor and shields (except Tower Shields).

Bardic Knowledge [Ex.]
    A bard, throughout their travels, picks up pieces of advice, gossip, legends and hearsay, leading them to be quite knowledgeable individuals even though they may lack any formal education. A bard gains a bonus on all Knowledge skill checks equal to their bard level and may make Knowledge checks untrained.

Spellsong [Su]
    The musical talent of a bard is so deep and moving that it breaches the limit of human capability. It touches the mind and the soul, drawing forth eldritch effects on those who witness it. As a standard action, a bard starts to perform with their instrument and begins to craft a Spellsong. Maintaining a Spellsong from round to round is a free action and can only be disrupted if the bard can no long take a free action (such as when paralyzed or unconscious).

A Spellsong can have no more than two Spellverses (one Ally Verse and one Foe Verse) as part of it's makeup. A bard can only change this selection by ending the current Spellsong and beginning a new one. The effects of a Spellsong center on the bard playing it and stretch a 30 foot radius from the bard. This range of effect increases by 5 feet for each additional bard level they possess. The Will DC for resisting the effects of a bard's Spellsong is 10 + the Bard's Perform skill bonus with the instrument they used to craft it. A Spellsong is a sonic, mind-affecting effect.

A bard's Spellsong lasts for a number of rounds equal to twice their bard level + their Charisma modifier. A bard can craft a number of Spellsongs per day equal to 1 + their bard level.

Spellverse [Su]
    A Spellverse is a mystical melody that a bard interjects into a performance to transform it from a normal event of enjoyment into a bewitching Spellsong. A bard begins play with one Spellverse known and gains an additional Spellverse at 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th level. Whenever a bard learns a new Spellverse they may choose to lose access to a Spellverse they know in favor of another Spellverse.

Spellverses are split into two categories, Ally Verses and Foe Verses. The former are buffs that benefit their friends, while the latter are debuffs that hinder their enemies. The bonus or penalties granted by these Verses are equal to one half the bard's bard level (minimum +/- 1) unless noted otherwise.

Ally Verses
    Spoiler
    Show

Ballad of Armor - The bard's allies receive a morale bonus to their AC.

Ballad of Courage - The bard's allies receive a morale bonus on saves against fear effects and on attack and damage rolls.

Ballad of Competence - The bard's allies receive a competence bonus on a skill of their choosing.

Ballad of Freedom - The bard's allies receive a new save against a mind-affecting effect they failed against (at it's original DC) every round they spend in the radius of the bard's Spellsong .

Ballad of Healing - The bard's allies heal a number of hit points each round equal to the one half bard's bard level.

Foe Verses
    Spoiler
    Show

Ballad of Blood - The bard's enemies take an amount of damage each round equal to one half the bard's bard level.

Ballad of Cowardice - The bard's enemies receive a penalty on saves against fear effects and on attack and damage rolls.

Ballad of Distraction - The bard's enemies are Fascinated for as long as they remain in the radius of the bard's Spellsong.

Ballad of Incompetence -The bard's enemies receive a penalty on skill checks.

Ballad of Rust - The bard's enemies receive a penalty to their AC.

Deft Ear [Ex.]
    A bard's capability to bend the body and mind through the use of sound and voice leads them to be resistant to similar attempts on themselves. A bard gains a +4 bonus on saving throws against sonic effects.

Lore Savant [Ex.]
    A bard has absorbed so much information on their travels that they are becoming increasingly more likely to answer any question posed to them. A bard can take a 10 on a Knowledge skill check regardless if they would normally be unable to.

Shielding Harmonics [Su]
    A bard's Spellsong has grown in its capabilities to not only aide the bard's allies but to outright protect them from influences like its own. A bard's allies who are in the radius of the bard's Spellsong gain the bard's Deft Ear class feature.

Jack of all Trades [Ex.]
    A bard's dalliance in a plethora of fields across their wanderings allot them at least a neophite's skill at the task. A bard may make skill checks with skills that normally require them to be trained to be able to use.

Quick Performance [Ex.]
    As time goes on, a bard is growing as an artist and learning to master and use a Spellsong with greater celerity. A bard may begin a Spellsong as a move action instead of as a standard action.

Lore Master [Ex.]
    A bard's natural encyclopedia of knowledge has grown to the point that it is the peer of any well established library in all of creation. Once per day (for every two bard levels they possess) the bard may take 20 on any Knowledge skill check.

Crescendo [Su]
    A bard has learned that by allowing their Spellsong to build up in intensity and then suddenly cutting it off, they can greatly hinder their foes. As a standard action, a bard can voluntarily end a Spellsong currently in effect, causing all foes in the Spellsong's radius to make a Will save (DC = 10 + the bard's Perform skill bonus [This DC increases by +1 for every round past the first that the bard had been maintaining the Spellsong]). Creatures that fail the save are Stunned and Nauseated for 1d4+1 rounds. Creatures that pass are not Stunned.

Virtuoso
    A bard has become a master of their craft, a living embodiment of eldritch musical talent. A bard gains the following:

• A bard's Spellsong's effects continue for a number of rounds after it ends equal to half the bard's Charisma modifier.
    • A bard may have four Spellverses (Two Ally Verses and Two Foe Verses) as part of their Spellsong's makeup.
    • A bard is now immune to all negative sonic effects.

Druid
    Spoiler
    Show

"This whole day have I followed in the rocks,
    And you have changed and flowed from shape to shape,
    First as a raven on whose ancient wings
    Scarcely a feather lingered, then you seemed
    A weasel moving on from stone to stone...."

Favored Skills: Athleticism, Craft, Fly, Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (Geography), Knowledge (Nature), Perception, Persuasion, Profession, Ride, and Survival.

1|+0|+2|+0|+2|Nature's Secret, Wild Empathy
    2|+1|+3|+0|+3|Nature's Secret
    3|+2|+3|+1|+3|Nature's Secret
    4|+3|+4|+1|+4|Nature's Secret
    5|+3|+4|+1|+4|Nature's Secret
    6|+4|+5|+2|+5|Wildshape
    7|+5|+5|+2|+5|Nature's Secret
    8|+6/+1|+6|+2|+6|Nature's Secret
    9|+6/+1|+6|+3|+6|Nature's Secret
    10|+7/+2|+7|+3|+6|Nature's Child[/table]

A druid is proficient with all simple weapons and light armor and medium armor and shields (except Tower shields). A druid is unable to voluntarily and knowingly wear any metal armor or wield any metal weapons that they did not personally create themselves without outside aide. If a druid does so they lose access to all of their class features for 24 hours.

Nature's Secret
    A druid is one with the natural world around them, learning the lessons it teaches with every breath they take and turning them around and putting them to use in their day to day lives. At each level indicated on the table above, the Druid selects one of the Nature's Secrets below. Unless indicated otherwise, a Nature's Secret is an Extraordinary ability.

Spoiler
    Show

Nature Sense - A druid gains a bonus on Knowledge (Nature) and Survival skill checks equal to half their druid level.

Woodland Stride - A druid may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at their normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. Thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that have been supernaturally manipulated to impede motion, however, still affect them.

Trackless Step - A druid leaves no trail when moving through natural surroundings, but may choose to leave one as a free action.

Resist Nature's Lure - A druid gains a bonus on saving throws against the supernatural abilities of creatures of the Fey type equal to half their druid level. This bonus also applies to abilities that manipulate plants.

Venom Tolerance - A druid gains a bonus on saving throws against poisons equal to their druid level.

Urban Camouflage [Su] - A druid, as a standard action, can change their appearance to become that of another creature of the same type of themselves. This is a mind-affecting effect and a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the druid's level + the druid's Wisdom modifier) allows a creature to see through it. This ability lasts a number of hours equal to the druid's Wisdom modifier (or until they dismiss it as a free action) and can be used a number of times per day equal to half 1+half the druid's druid level.

Quenching Touch [Su] - A druid, as a stand action, can create water from seemingly nowhere by touching the ground and creating a natural spring. This spring can provide two gallons of water for every druid level the druid possesses before vanishing. Water created in this way lasts for 24 hours before drying up. A druid can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 1 + their Wisdom modifier + half their druid level.

Living Compass - A druid is always aware what direction is north as long as a concept of north exists for the environment the druid is in.

World around You [Su] - A druid, as a standard action, can extend their senses outwards in a sixty foot radius, choosing to either detect animals or plants. They are made aware of what kinds of animals/plants are around them and their general (but not exact) location in reference to themselves, as well as the condition of health those animals/plants are. This ability lasts for one minute per druid level the druid possesses and can be used a number of times per day equal to 1 + the druid's druid level.

Entanglement [Su] - A druid, as a standard action, can select a spot on the ground that is within their range of vision. The selected spot's plant life springs to life and grows out of control, forcing all creatures in a 40 foot radius of the chosen spot to make a Reflex save (DC 10 + the druid's Wisdom modifier + half the druid's level). Failure indicates that the creatures become entangled. Entangled creatures can attempt to break free as a move action, making a Strength or Escape Artist check. The DC for this check is equal to the DC of the original Reflex save. This ability lasts for one minute per druid level the druid possesses and the affected area is considered difficult terrain.

Goodberry [Su] - A druid, as a standard action, can transform any fresh berries into Goodberries. Goodberries are edible to all creatures (even if they were originally inedible or even poisonous) and provide the same amount nourishment that a full meal for a medium sized creature. The berries also heals 1 hit point of damage plus an additional 1 point for every two druid levels the druid possesses (to a maximum of +5). This ability can be used a number of times per day equal to 1 + the druid's druid level.

Wild Empathy [Ex.]
    A druid can use the Persuasion skill to influence and improve the attitude of an animal, adding their druid level as a bonus to the check result. Domesticated animals usually start off with an attitude of indifferent, while wild animals start with an attitude of unfriendly. A druid can use the Persuasion skill on magical beasts with an intelligence score of 1 or 2, but take a -4 penalty on the attempt.

Wildshape [Su]
    A druid has become so much a part of nature that they themselves can mimic the forms of its children. As a standard action, a druid takes on the form of a Small or Medium animal (increased to Tiny and Large at 8th level) and gains the following:

• The druid uses the animal's racial ability scores for its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity and Constitution) in place of its own.
    • The druid uses the creature's natural armor bonus in place of their own.
    • The druid loses any Natural attacks, Extraordinary special attacks and Extraordinary Special qualities of their own, gaining those of the animal.
    • The druid loses any sensory modes of its own, gaining those of the animal.
    • The druid loses any of the movement modes it possesses and gains those of the animal.
    • The druid loses the ability to speak.

The animal that the druid takes the form of must be one that they are familiar (having at least seen and had some minor contact) with; the druid cannot take the form of an animal it has never seen before. A druid's gear melds with their body when they use this class feature.

A druid can remain in the form of an animal for one hour per druid level or until they voluntarily end it. Changing from the form of an animal back to the druid's natural form is a move action and ends that current use of Wildshape. A druid who dies while using Wildshape reverts to their natural form after one round.

A druid can use this class feature a number of times per day equal to their druid level.

Nature's Child
    A druid has become one with the flow of the world around them, being as much a part of it as the wind in the trees or the mice in the undergrowth. A druid gains the following:
    • The druid no longer takes a -4 penalty when using Wild Empathy on a magical beast.
    • The druid can take the form of an animal as small as Diminutive or as large as Huge.
    • If a druid spends at least three months of a year in a completely natural environment they do not age for that year.

Martial Artist
    Spoiler
    Show

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win."

Favored Skills: Acrobatics, Athleticism, Craft, Escape Artist, Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Local), Perception, Persuasion, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, and Stealth.

1|+1|+2|+2|+2|A Shield of Air, Unto a Thing of Iron
    2|+2|+3|+3|+3|Dance of the Leaf, Evasion
    3|+3|+3|+3|+3|Flight of the Hare
    4|+4|+4|+4|+4|Seed on the Breeze
    5|+5|+4|+4|+4|Chi Fist
    6|+6/+1|+5|+5|+5|Across the Waves
    7|+7/+2|+5|+5|+5|Sustained by Serenity
    8|+8/+3|+6|+6|+6|Shatter the Diamond
    9|+9/+4|+6|+6|+6|Improved Evasion, Soul Punch
    10|+10/+5|+7|+7|+7|Master of the One[/table]

A martial artist is proficient with all simple weapons and unarmed strikes. A martial artist is proficient with no armor or shields.

A Shield of Air [Ex.]
    A martial artist fights devoid of armor, relying on their skill and movement to see them through the toughest of times. As long as a martial artist wears no form of armor they gain a bonus to their AC equal to half their martial artist level + their Wisdom modifier. A martial artist loses this bonus when immobilized, helpless or when carrying a heavy load.

Unto a Thing of Iron [Ex.]
    A martial artist's very body is as deadly as any weapon forged when utilized with the correct discipline. A martial artist's unarmed strikes count as both natural and manufactured weapons and deal either bludgeoning, piercing or slashing damage (the martial artist decides which before each attack). In addition to the normal damage an unarmed strike deals, the martial artist deals an extra 1d6 points of damage for every two martial artist levels they possesses.

Dance of the Lead [Ex.]
    Just as a leaf blowing in the wind is erratic and can pass through the same place twice, so can too the blows of a martial artist. As a standard action, a martial artist enters a swaying stance that lasts for a number of rounds equal to twice their martial artist level plus their Wisdom modifier. While in this stance a martial artist can make an extra attack at their highest base attack bonus and they gain a dodge bonus to their AC equal to half their martial artist level.

A martial artist can use this class feature a number of times per day equal to 1+their monk level.

Evasion [Ex.]
    A martial artist can move easily out of harms way, coming out relatively unscathed where most would be dead. If a martial artist makes a successful Reflex save against an effect that normally deals half damage on a successful save, they instead take no damage. A helpless martial artist cannot use this class feature.

Flight of the Hare [Ex.]
    A martial artist possesses the speed and agility of a frightened rabbit, running circles around their foes. A martial artist gains a +10 foot bonus to their base movement speed for every two martial artist levels they possess to a maximum +50 feet at 10th level. This bonus stacks with any other movement speed increases.

Seed on the Breeze [Ex.]
    Like a dandelion puff using the spring air to guide it to its fated destination, so too can a martial artist guide themselves through the open air. A martial artist ignores the first 20 feet of a fall for every two martial artist levels they possess to a maximum of 100 feet at 10th level.

Chi Fist [Su]
    A martial artist has learned to tap into the inner reserves of their life energy, wrapping their blows in this energy to harm foes normally outside their ability to harm. A martial artist's unarmed strikes now count as magic weapons and ignore an incorporeal creature's 50% chance to ignore damage from a corporeal source.

Across the Waves [Ex.]
    A martial artist has become so in tune with their body that they can even move across the gentle surface of water. A martial artist treats nonsolid surfaces (such as water or mud but not air) as solid ground when moving and can move up vertical surfaces as long as they end their movement on a solid horizontal surface.

Sustained by Serenity [Su]
    A martial artist exists as part of their plane itself, drawing from it more so than a hearty meal. If a martial artist spends at least one hour in meditation at the beginning of the day they gain the following:
    • The martial artist does not need to partake of food or water that day.
    • The first time a martial artist would become fatigued they do not (if they would become exhausted they instead become fatigued).
    • The martial artist does not need to start making checks for holding their breath for a number of rounds equal to their Constitution modifier.

Shatter the Diamond [Ex.]
    A martial artist's blows have become devastating hammer falls unlike any mortal weapon. A martial artist's unarmed strikes now ignore any Damage Reduction a creature they attack possesses.

Improved Evasion [Ex.]
    A martial artist has become so adept at moving out of harm's way that even on a failed Reflex save they take half damage instead of full damage if they effect would normally allow half damage on a successful Reflex save.

Soul Puncher [Su]
    A martial artist's ability to weaponize their own Chi has reached it's apex, allowing them to strike at a foe's soul rather than their body. A martial artist's unarmed strikes are now considered melee touch attacks and any damage caused by them can only be healed naturally (meaning they cannot be healed by supernatural healing, fast healing, regeneration or similar abilities and effects).

Master of the One
    A martial artist has reached the top of the mountain, attaining the pinnacle of perfection over their own body and soul. A martial artist gains the following:
    • A martial artist's unarmed strikes deal 1d8 extra damage instead of 1d6.
    • A martial artist's Dance of the Leaf stance allows them to make two attacks at their highest base attack bonus instead of one.
    • A martial artist is now immune to non-supernatural diseases and poisons.

Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-06-23 at 10:31 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Ouroboros [Game System. W.I.P.]

Archetypes - Continued

Paladin
    Spoiler
    Show

"My good blade carves the casques of men,
    My tough lance thrusteth sure,
    My strength is as the strength of ten,
    Because my heart is pure."

Hit Dice: d10
    Favored Skills: Craft, Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (Nobility), Knowledge (Religion), Persuasion, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive

1|+1|+2|+0|+2|Code of Ethics, Know thy Foe, Smite Foe
    2|+2|+3|+0|+3|Lay on Hands, Steeled Devotion
    3|+3|+3|+1|+3|Aura of Courage
    4|+4|+4|+1|+4|Iron Health
    5|+5|+4|+1|+4|Impede the Unjust
    6|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|Shield of the Martyr
    7|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|Vigilant Justice
    8|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6|Aura of Resolve
    9|+9/+4|+6|+3|+6|Sacrifice of the Martyr
    10|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7|Lawbound[/table]

A paladin is proficient with all simple weapons and martial weapons and with all types of armor and shields (except Tower shields).

Code of Ethics
    A paladin is consumed with the upholding of a sense of personal honor and is forever bound to a code of conduct that means more to them life itself. This code can be a set of laws from their native homeland, the standards and practices of a religious order they belong to or a discipline that they alone have devised and now adhere to.

A paladin's code is not absolute and allowances can be made in dire times. But if a paladin goes against their code when not under extreme duress they incur a cumulative -1 penalty for each infractory act until they spend one day in reflection and penance, making a personal sacrifice at the end of this period.

It is up to the character's Player and the game's GM to come up with a Code of Ethics for a paladin and to devise a proper penance and sacrifice for a paladin to redeem themselves.

Know thy Foe [Su]
    A paladin possesses an innate sixth sense that allows them to know when creatures who violate their perceptions of the world is nearby. If a creature who is an affront to the paladin's code (such as a serial killer to a paladin who upholds the law and defends the sanctity of life) enters a sixty foot radius of the paladin, the paladin is instantly alerted of this fact but does not know what set it off or where exactly it is in relation to the paladin. A paladin can suppress this class feature as a standard action and re-activate it as a free action.

Smite Foe [Su]
    A paladin's devotion to their ethics is so great that they can transform their discipline into a palpable weapon. As a swift action, a paladin designates one creature they have line of sight to. If the creature would set off their Know thy Foe class feature the paladin receives the following:
    • The paladin gains a bonus on attack rolls against the target equal to their Charisma modifier (minimum +0).
    • The paladin gains a bonus on damage rolls against the target equal to their paladin level.
    • The paladin's attacks automatically bypass the target's Damage Reduction.
    • The paladin gets a bonus to their AC against attacks from the target equal to their Charisma modifier (minimum +0).

If the creature would not set off the paladin's Know thy Foe then the use of Smite Foe is wasted.

A paladin can use Smite Foe a number of times per day equal to 1 + their paladin level.

Lay on Hands [Su]
    A paladin's touch can soothe the weary, healing the wounds of those they consider allies to their cause. As a standard action, a paladin places their hands on an ally who is injured, healing 1d6 points of damage for every two paladin levels they possess.

A paladin can use this ability a number of times per day equal to half their paladin level.

Steeled Devotion [Su]
    A paladin's faith in their code of ethics actively wards off harm, acting as a shield against the dangers of the world. A paladin gains a bonus on saving throws equal to their Charisma modifier (if any).

Aura of Courage [Su]
    A paladin never gives up, even in the face of adversity and this rubs off on their allies. A paladin is immune to fear effects and any ally within 10 feet of them gains a +4 bonus on saving throws against them. A paladin only gives this bonus to allies as long as they are not unconscious or dead.

Iron Health [Su]
    A paladin's devotion wards off even the most virulent of contagions and bolsters their allies as well. A paladin is immune to diseases (supernatural or mundane) and any ally within 10 feet of them gains a +4 bonus on saving throws against them. A paladin only gives this bonus to allies as long as they are not unconscious or dead.

Impede the Unjust [Su]
    A paladin's fury and iron devotion can drain the strength straight from those subject to their most powerful blows. A creature who is the subject of a paladin's Smite Foe must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 the paladin's hit dice + the paladin's Charisma modifier) every time the paladin makes a successful attack against them or be knocked prone.

Shield of the Martyr [Su]
    A paladin's code does not allow their allies to shoulder their burdens and pain alone, the paladin sharing in it. As a full-round action, a paladin selects an ally with in line of sight and forges a bond with them. As long as both the paladin and their chosen subject is alive, the subject only takes half damage and the paladin takes the other half.

A paladin can have one shielded subject for every two paladin levels they possess.

Vigilant Justice [Su]
    On the field of battle a paladin has eyes for their chosen quarry and eyes for them alone. When a paladin has a creature designated by their Smite Foe class feature they take only half damage from any creature other than that creature.

Aura of Resolve [Su]
    A paladin never rests and never falls, always going on when their code and allies need them. When a paladin falls below 0 hit points they automatically stabilize and remain conscious. Any ally within 10 feet of the paladin gain a +4 bonus on stabilization checks. The paladin only gives this bonus as long as they are not unconscious or dead.

Sacrifice of the Martyr [Su]
    A paladin is always ready to lay down their life in the defense of their code and their allies. If an ally who is affected by the paladin's Shield of the Martyr would fall below 0 hit points, the paladin takes the full damage instead of their ally.

Lawbound
    A paladin has become the living embodiment of their code, never faltering from it as their legend spreads the world over. A paladin gains the following:
    • The paladin can use their Smite Foe class feature on a creature regardless if they set off their Know thy Foe class feature.
    • The paladin only takes half of the damage from their Shield of the Martyr class feature.
    • The paladin heals twice as much from any effect that restores lost hit points.

Priest
    Spoiler
    Show

"There exists naught a single creature that would claim itself a disbeliever of the gods when found in the heat of battle or deep beneath the ground."

Favored Skills: Appraise, Craft, Heal, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Nobility), Knowledge (The Planes), Knowledge (Religion), Linguistics, Persuasion, Profession, Sense Motive.

1|+0|+2|+0|+2|To Heal or To Harm
    2|+1|+3|+0|+3|Bless/Curse
    3|+1|+3|+1|+3|Turn/Bolster Undead
    4|+2|+4|+1|+4|Restore/Destroy
    5|+2|+4|+1|+4|Ward against Good/Evil
    6|+3|+5|+2|+5|Healing/Harming Presence
    7|+3|+5|+2|+5|Divine Might
    8|+4|+6|+2|+6|Destroy/Control Undead
    9|+4|+6|+3|+6|Greater Restore/Destroy
    10|+5|+7|+3|+7|Agent of Divinity[/table]

A priest is proficient with all simple weapons and light armor.

To Heal or To Harm [Su]
    Priests are living conduits of either sacred or profane energies, capable of channeling them to affect the world and creatures around them. At 1st level, the Priest chooses whether they are conduits for Sacred or Profane energies; once made this choice can not be changed.

As a standard action, a priest can make a melee touch attack against a creature. If successful, the creature heals 1d6 points of damage (if Sacred) or takes 1d6 points of damage (if Profane). A creature who makes a successul Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the priest's total level + the priest's Wisdom modifier) takes half damage. The damage healed/dealt increases by 1d6 for each additional priest level, to a max of 10d6 at 10th. Undead and Evil Outsiders are hurt by Sacred energies but are healed by Profane.

A priest can use this class feature a number of times per day equal to 1 + the priest's Wisdom modifier + 1/2 their priest level.

Bless/Curse [Su]
    A priest can direct their energies to penetrate creatures wholly, causing boons to their allies or detriments to their foes.

Bless - As a standard action, a priest who channels Sacred energies lays hands on an ally and blesses them. This grants the creature a bonus equal to half the priest's priest level on attack rolls, damage rolls and saving throws. This bonus lasts for one hour per priest level or until the blessed creature dies.

Curse - As a standard action, a priest who channels Profane energies makes a melee touch attack against a creature, cursing them. If successful, the creature must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the priest's total level + the priest's Wisdom modifier) or take a penalty equal to half the priest's priest level on attack rolls, damage rolls and saving throws. This penalty lasts for one hour per priest level or until the cursed creature dies.

A priest can use this class feature a number of times per day equal to 1 + their priest level.

Turn/Bolster Undead [Su]
    A priest's life is forever married to the world after this and as such undead fall under their responsibility.

Turn Undead - As a standard action, a priest who channels Sacred energies presents their holy symbol and speaks words of their faith. All Undead within 30 feet of the priest must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the priest's total level + the priest's Wisdom modifier) or become Panicked, fleeing away from the priest as fast as possible for one minute.

Bolster Undead - As a standard action, a priest who channels Profane energies presents their holy symbol and speaks words of their faith. All Undead within 30 feet of the priest gain a bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls and saving throws equal to half the priest's priest level. This bonus lasts for one minute.

A priest can use this class feature a number of times per day equal to 1 + their priest level.

Restore/Destroy [Su]
    A priest is charged with the duty of either soothing away the suffering of their flock or bringing pain and judgement down upon those unworthy.

Restore - As a standard action, a priest who channels Sacred energies touches a willing creature and causes one of the following:
    • The creature heals 1d4 ability damage to one score.
    • The creature is cured of fatigue. If exhausted, the creature is fatigued instead.

Destroy - As a standard action, a priest who channels Profane energies makes a melee touch attack against a creature. If successful, the creature must make a Will Save (DC 10 + 1/2 the priest's total level + the priest's Wisdom modifier) or be afflicted by one of the following:
    • The creature takes 1d4 ability damage to one score of the priest's choosing.
    • The creature becomes fatigued. If the creature is already fatigued, they become exhausted instead.

Ward against Good/Evil [Su]
    A priest may be expected to battle forces of inhuman power and thus learn to defend themselves against them. With one minute of work, a priest can draw/mark/dig/etc. an intrict pattern upon a surface that wards against creatures with the Good (Profane) or Evil (Sacred) subtype. This ward can either face outward or inward.

An outward ward prevents creatures from entering the quardoned area while inward prevents them from leaving. Regardless of choice, the creature must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the priest's total level + the priest's Wisdom modifier) to pass through. If they fail the Will save, the ward repels their attempt; but if they succeed, though they can pass the ward, they take 1d10 points of damage per two priest levels the priest possesses.

Healing/Harming Presence [Su]
    A priest's command over their energies has become honed to the point that they can exert them at a range. When using their To Heal or To Harm class feature, all creatures within 30 feet of the priest are affected, not just the creature touched.

Divine Might [Su]
    A priest has learned to turn their power inward, transforming them into a holy warrior befit of their devotion. As a standard action, a priest suffuses themselves with their energy, entering a transformed state for a number of rounds equal to 1 + their Wisdom modifier + 1/2 their priest level. While in this state, they gain the following:
    • A bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls and saving throws equal to half their priest level.
    • Damage Reduction 5/Good (if Sacred) or Damage Reduction 5/Evil (if Profane)
    • +10 movement speed

A priest can use this class feature a number of times per day equal to half their priest level.

Destroy/Control Undead [Su]
    A priest's relationship with the afterlife and the undead that still walk the world has become so strong that their will in their affairs can rarely be resisted.

Destroy Undead - As a standard action, a priest who channels Sacred energies presents their holy symbol and speaks words of their faith. All Undead within 30 feet of the priest must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the priest's total level + the priest's Wisdom modifier) or be automatically destroyed. Undead who pass the save are immune to this class feature from the same priest for 24 hours.

Control Undead - As a standard action, a priest who channels Profane energies presents their holy symbol and speaks words of their faith. All Undead within 30 feet of the priest must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the priest's total level + the priest's Wisdom modifier) or follow the priest's mental commands without question for one day. Undead who pass the save are immune to this class feature from the same priest for 24 hours. A priest can control no more than twice their priest level in hit dice of Undead.

Greater Restore/Destroy [Su]
    A priest has grown to become an epitome of mercy or a wicked culler of the heretic.

Greater Restore - As a standard action, a priest who channels Sacred energies touches a willing creature and causes one of the following:
    • The creature heals 1d4 ability drain to one score.
    • The creature is cured of one disease or poison.
    • If suffering from a negative level, the creature makes a save to remove it, gaining a +4 bonus.

Greater Destroy - As a standard action, a priest who channels Profane energies makes a melee touch attack against a creature. If successful, the creature must make a Will Save (DC 10 + 1/2 the priest's total level + the priest's Wisdom modifier) or be afflicted by one of the following:
    • The creature takes 1d4 ability drain to one score (of the priest's choice).
    • The creature is afflicted with one disease or poison (of the priest's choice).
    • If suffering from a negative level, the creature makes a save to remove it, taking a -4 penalty.

Agent of Divinity
    A priest is now one with their faith, drawing upon it to sustain themselves in the ordeals of the living world. A priest gains the following:
    • The priest's To Heal or To Harm class feature is 1d8 instead of 1d6.
    • The benefits of their Divine Might class feature double.
    • When using their Restore/Destroy or Greater Restore/Destroy class features, the affected creature gains a new save against an effect they failed against in the last twenty four hours (at the original DC) if the priest channels Sacred energies. If the priest channels Profane energies, the affected creature must save against a random effect they had already successfully saved against in the last 24 hours.

Ranger
    Spoiler
    Show

"A cunning fox cannot outsmart a skilled hunter."

Favored Skills: Athleticism, Craft, Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (Dungeoneering), Knowledge (Geography), Knowledge (Nature), Perception, Persuasion, Profession, Ride, Stealth, and Survival.
    Trained Skills: 6 + Intelligence modifier

1|+1|+2|+2|+0|Favored Enemy, Track, Wild Empathy
    2|+2|+3|+3|+0|Combat Style, Evasion
    3|+3|+3|+3|+1|Endurance, Favored Terrain
    4|+4|+4|+4|+1|Hunter's Bond
    5|+5|+4|+4|+1|Swift Tracker
    6|+6/+1|+5|+5|+2|Quarry
    7|+7/+2|+5|+5|+2|Woodland Stride
    8|+8/+3|+6|+6|+2|Hide in Plain Sight
    9|+9/+4|+6|+6|+2|Improved Evasion
    10|+10/+5|+7|+7|+3|Forest Shadow[/table]

A ranger is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields).

Favored Enemy [Ex.]
    A ranger is a hunter of all things, not only the mundane beasts that crawl on the ground on fly in the sky. As a swift action, a ranger selects one creature within 60 feet and makes the appropriate Knowledge (or Thaumatology) skill check for it's type against a DC of 15 (a ranger can make these checks untrained). If successful, the ranger gains the following:
    • +2 on Deception, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, Survival and Thaumatology checks against the creature.
    • +2 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls against the creature.

For every 10 points over the original DC the ranger achieves, these bonuses are doubled. A ranger can decide whether this applies to just that creature or all creatures of that creature's type after making the check. These bonuses last until the ranger designates a new target for their Favored Enemy class feature.

A ranger can use this class feature a number of times per day equal to 1 + their ranger level.

Track [Ex.]
    A ranger is a nigh inescapable pursuer, following their chosen prey over hill and dale. A ranger adds their ranger level to Survival skill checks made to follow or identify tracks.

Wild Empathy [Ex.]
    A ranger can use the Persuasion skill to influence and improve the attitude of an animal, adding their druid level as a bonus to the check result. Domesticated animals usually start off with an attitude of indifferent, while wild animals start with an attitude of unfriendly. A ranger can use the Persuasion skill on magical beasts with an intelligence score of 1 or 2, but take a -4 penalty on the attempt.

Combat Style [Ex.]
    A ranger is signified not only by their stomping grounds and their methods of pursuit but also by their chosen style of fighting. A ranger selects a Combat Style and gains a bonus feat at 2nd, 6th and 10th level that can be selected from the list given under their selected Combat Style (and they need not qualify for them).

Archery
    • Far Shot, Improved Precise Shot (available at 6th level), Manyshot (available at 6th level), Pinpoint Targeting (available at 10th level), Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, and Shot on the Run (available at 10th level).

Crossbow
    • Crossbow Mastery (available at 6th level), Deadly Aim, Focused Shot, Improved Precise Shot (available at 6th level), Pinpoint Targeting (available at 10th level), Precise Shot, Rapid Reload, and Shot on the Run (available at 10th level).

Mounted Combat
    • Mounted Combat, Mounted Archery, Mounted Shield (available at 6th level), Mounted Skirmisher (available at 10th level), Ride-By Attack, Spirited Charge (available at 6th level), Trick Riding, and Unseat (available at 10th level).

Natural Weapon
    • Aspect of the Beast, Eldritch Claws (available at 6th level), Improved Natural Weapon, Improved Vital Strike (available at 10th level), Multiattack (available at 10th level), Rending Claws, Vital Strike (available at 6th level), and Weapon Focus.

Two-Handed Weapon
    • Cleave, Dreadful Carnage (available at 10th level), Furious Focus (available at 6th level), Great Charge (available at 6th level), Improved Sunder (available at 10th level), Power Attack, Pushing Assault, and Shield of Swings.

Two-Weapon Combat
    • Double Slice, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting (available at 10th level), Improved Shield Bash, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting (available at 6th level), Quick Draw, Two-Weapon Defense (available at 6th level), Two-Weapon Fighting and Two-Weapon Rend (available at 10th level).

Weapon and Shield
    • Bashing Finish (available at 10th level), Greater Shield Focus (available at 10th level), Improved Shield Bash, Saving Shield (available at 6th level), Shield Focus, Shield Master (available at 6th level), Shield Slam and Two-Weapon Fighting.

Evasion [Ex.]
    A ranger can move easily out of harms way, coming out relatively unscathed where most would be dead. If a ranger makes a successful Reflex save against an effect that normally deals half damage on a successful save, they instead take no damage. A helpless ranger cannot use this class feature.

Endurance [Ex.]
    Though a ranger may be outpaced during a pursuit, they are never outlasted. A ranger gains Endurance as a bonus feat.

Favored Terrain [Ex.]
    A ranger may be adept at dogging quarries across all environments, but there are select few where they are truly in their element. A ranger selects a terrain from the table below and gains the following when in that terrain:
    • +2 bonus on Knowledge (Geography), Perception, Stealth and Survival skill checks.
    • +2 bonus on Initiative.
    • The ranger leaves no tracks or trails while moving in the terrain unless they choose to.

{table=head]Favored Terrains
    Desert
    Forest
    Jungle
    Mountain
    Plains
    Planes (Select one other than the Material Plane)
    Swamp
    Underground
    Urban
    Water[/table]

A ranger selects a second Favored Terrain at 8th level, gaining the bonuses listed above for that terrain and doubling the bonuses from their previous Favored Terrain.

If in an environment that contains multiple iterations of the ranger's Favored Terrains, the ranger uses the higher applicable bonus.

Hunter's Bond [Ex.]
    A ranger, though quite capable, never hunts alone. A ranger is almost always accompanied by a stalwart animal companion that sees them through thick and thin. A ranger, once a week, can perform a ritual that only requires eight hours of uninterrupted meditation and concentration in a natural environment. After this time has elapsed, a loyal animal companion appears within the next hour, being bonded to the ranger (though this ritual is a Supernatural effect, the rest of this class feature is Extraordinary in nature). A ranger can select an animal companion from the following list.

The animal companion summoned is not only loyal and bonded to the ranger but increases in power and skill alongside their new master. The table below shows this.

Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Ranger's level|HD|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Feats|Natural Armor Bonus|Str/Dex Bonus|Bonus Tricks|Special
    1|2|+2|+3|+3|+0|1|+0|+0|1|Link
    2|3|+3|+3|+3|+1|2|+0|+0|1|-
    3|3|+3|+3|+3|+1|2|+2|+1|2|Evasion
    4|4|+4|+4|+4|+1|2|+2|+1|2|Ability Score Increase
    5|5|+5|+4|+4|+1|3|+2|+1|2|-
    6|6|+6|+5|+5|+2|3|+4|+2|3|Devotion
    7|6|+6|+5|+5|+2|3|+4|+2|3|-
    8|7|+7|+5|+5|+2|4|+4|+2|3|-
    9|8|+8|+6|+6|+2|4|+6|+3|4|Ability Score Increase, Multiattack
    10|9|+9|+6|+6|+3|5|+6|+3|4|-[/table]

HD
    The total Animal Hit Dice that the animal companion possesses.

BAB
    The animal companion's base attack bonus, which is equal to that of a ranger with the same amount of hit dice as the animal companion.

Fort/Ref/Will
    These are the animal companions base saving throws. An animal companion has good Fortitude and Reflex saves.

Feats
    This is the total number of feats possessed by the animal companion.

Natural Armor Bonus
    This number here is an improvement upon the existing natural armor the animal companion possesses.

Str/Dex Bonus
    Add this value to the animal companion's Strength and Dexterity scores.

Bonus Tricks
    The value given in this column is the total number of “bonus” tricks that the animal knows in addition to any that the ranger might choose to teach it (see the Handle Animal skill). These bonus tricks don’t require any training time or Handle Animal checks, and they don’t count against the normal limit of tricks known by the animal. The ranger selects these bonus tricks, and once selected, they can’t be changed.

Link [Ex.]
    A ranger can handle their animal companion as a free action, or push it as a move action, even if they are not trained in the Handle Animal skill. The ranger gains a +4 circumstance bonus on all wild empathy checks and Handle Animal checks made regarding an animal companion.

Evasion [Ex.]
    If an animal companion is subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, it takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw.

Devotion [Ex.]
    An animal companion gains a +4 morale bonus on Will saves against mind-affecting Supernatural effects.

Ability Score Increase [Ex.]
    The animal companion adds +1 to any one of its ability scores.

Multiattack
    An animal companion gains Multiattack as a bonus feat if it has three or more natural attacks and does not already have that feat. If it does not have the requisite three or more natural attacks, the animal companion instead gains a second attack with its primary natural weapon, albeit at a –5 penalty.

Swift Tracker [Ex.]
    A ranger on the trail can move with blinding speed that other hunters wish they could match. A ranger does not take the -5 penalty for moving at their normal speed when using the Survival skill to follow tracks and only takes a -10 penalty when moving twice their normal speed.

Quarry [Ex.]
    A ranger dogs their prey like a hound, never giving up once marking their target. As a standard action, a ranger selects one creature that they have line of sight to and gain the following:
    • The ranger can take 10 on Survival checks and move at their normal speed while tracking their Quarry at no penalty.
    • The ranger receives a +2 bonus on attack rolls against their Quarry.
    • The ranger automatically confirms critical hits made against their Quarry.

A ranger can only have on Quarry at a time and may dismiss this with a free action. If the ranger does so, they can not select a new Quarry for 24 hours; if the ranger sees proof that their Quarry is dead, they may select a new Quarry after 1 hour.

Woodland Stride [Ex.]
    A druid may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at their normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. Thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that have been supernaturally manipulated to impede motion, however, still affect them.

Hide in Plain Sight [Ex.]
    A ranger in their element is nearly impossible to detect. Whenever a ranger is in a natural environment or one of their Favored Terrains, they may use the Stealth skill even when being observed.

Improved Evasion [Ex.]
    A ranger has become so adept at moving out of harm's way that even on a failed Reflex save they take half damage instead of full damage if the effect would normally allow half damage on a successful Reflex save.

Forest Shadow
    A ranger has lived and hunted so long that they have become a predatory spectre lurking in the foreground. A ranger gains the following:
    • The base DC for Favored Enemy is now 5 instead of 15.
    • The ranger's animal companion's type changes to Magical Beast, retroactively increasing it's hit points.
    • The ranger, once per day, may make a single attack against a creature affected by their Favored Enemy or Quarry class features. If successful, the creature must make a Fortitude save (DC = 10 + 1/2 the ranger's hit dice + the ranger's Wisdom modifier). If the creature succeeds, the attack is counted as an automatic critical hit and the critical hit multiplier is increased by x1. If it fails the save, it is slain instantly.

Scoundrel
    Spoiler
    Show

"One may treat a gentleman rudely, but beware of being rude to a scoundrel."

Favored Skills: Acrobatics, Appraise, Athleticism, Craft, Deception, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Knowledge (Dungeoneering), Knowledge (Local), Linguistics, Perception, Perform, Persuasion, Profession, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, and Stealth.
    Trained Skills: 8 + Intelligence modifier

1|+0|+0|+2|+0|Opportunistic Strike, Trapfinding
    2|+1|+0|+3|+0|Evasion, Scoundrel Knack
    3|+2|+1|+3|+1|Expert Acrobat, Trap Sense +1
    4|+3|+1|+4|+1|Scoundrel Knack, Uncanny Dodge
    5|+3|+1|+4|+1|Careful Disarm
    6|+4|+2|+5|+2|Scoundrel Knack, Trap Sense +2
    7|+5|+2|+5|+2|Grand Lie
    8|+6/+1|+2|+6|+2|Improved Uncanny Dodge, Scoundrel Knack
    9|+6/+1|+3|+6|+3|Trap Master
    10|+7/+2|+3|+7|+3|Advance Knack, Guttersnipe, Scoundrel Knack[/table]

A scoundrel is proficient with all simple weapons, plus the hand crossbow, rapier, sap, shortbow, and short sword. They are proficient with light armor, but not with shields.

Opportunistic Strike [Ex.]
    A scoundrel lives to find the most vulnerable spots to exploit and this extends to their combat prowess. Whenever a creature a scoundrel is attacking would be denied their Dexterity bonus to their AC or is flanked by the scoundrel, the scoundrel deals an extra 1d6 for every two scoundrel levels they possess (minimum +1d6).

Trapfinding [Ex.]
    A scoundrel's deft fingers lend them as much skill at disarming lethal trap as it helps picking pockets. A scoundrel gains a bonus to Disable Device skill checks equal to their scoundrel level. A scoundrel can disable magical traps.

Evasion [Ex.]
    A scoundrel can move easily out of harms way, coming out relatively unscathed where most would be dead. If a scoundrel makes a successful Reflex save against an effect that normally deals half damage on a successful save, they instead take no damage. A helpless scoundrel cannot use this class feature.

Scoundrel Knack
    Each scoundrel, as they accrue experience, come to learn unique "tricks of the trade" that not only define them but greatly aid them. A scoundrel selects knack from the following list.

Knacks marked with an asterisk add effects to a scoundrel's opportunistic strike. Only one of these talents can be applied to an individual attack and the decision must be made before the attack roll is made.

Expert Acrobat [Ex.]
    A scoundrel's life of debauchery leads them to having traverse the most precarious surfaces and with practice comes experience. A scoundrel no longer suffers any armor check penalty on Acrobatics, Athleticism, Fly, Sleight of Hand or Stealth checks. When the scoundrel is not wearing any armor they gain a bonus to those skill checks equal to half their scoundrel level.

Trap Sense [Ex.]
    A scoundrel gains a +1 bonus on Reflex saves against traps and gains a +1 dodge bonus to their AC against traps. This bonus increases by +1 for every three scoundrel levels afterwards, to a maximum of +3 at ninth.

Uncanny Dodge [Ex.]
    A scoundrel's honed reflexes and sixth sense allows them to react to danger before they're even aware of it. A scoundrel cannot be caught flat-footed, nor do they lose their Dexterity bonus to their AC. They still lose their Dexterity bonus if immobilized or feinted.

If the scoundrel already has Uncanny Dodge from another source, they instead gain Improved Uncanny Dodge.

Careful Disarm [Ex.]
    A scoundrel's skills and experience gravitate more towards dealing with trapped dungeons and it shows. Whenever a scoundrel attempts to disarm a trap using Disable Device, they do not spring the trap unless they fail by 10 or more. If they do set off a trap they were attempting to disarm, they add double their trap sense bonus to avoid the trap.

Grand Lie [Ex.]
    A scoundrel is quickly becoming a criminal extraordinaire and their very words can reshape the truth. The scoundrel gains the rumormonger advanced knack, even if they don't qualify for it.

Improved Uncanny Dodge [Ex.]
    A scoundrel's senses have become honed to such a point that even multiple foes working in tandem are no longer a threat. The scoundrel can no longer be flanked and a scoundrel needs to have four more levels than the scoundrel in order to affect them with their opportunistic strike.

Trap Master [Ex.]
    A scoundrel's skill with dealing with traps has reached its apex and few could hope to match them. Whenever a scoundrel disarms a trap using Disable Device, they can bypass it even if their check did not exceed the DC by 10 or more. If it is a magic trap that allows specific creatures to pass it without danger, they can modify which creatures it allows to pass, adding their allies and restricting enemies if they so desires.

Advance Knack [Ex.]
    A scoundrel's style of villainy has finally crystallized into a unique knack that is all their own. A scoundrel selects an Advanced Knack from the following list.

Guttersnipe
    A scoundrel lives and breathes the seedy underbelly just as adroitly as the sun-lit streets. A scoundrel gains the following:
    • A scoundrel's opportunistic strike deals 1d8 extra damage instead of 1d6.
    • A scoundrel's trap sense bonus is doubled.
    • A scoundrel can always take 10 on a Persuasion skill check, regardless if they normally would be able to do so and it takes no extra time.

Soldier
    Spoiler
    Show

"We shall never give up and we shall never surrender. Those we call friend and those who call us ally depend upon us winning the day. Even if it takes the life of every last one of us, we will hold the line!"

Favored Skills: Athleticism, Craft, Handle Animal, Knowledge (Dungeoneering), Knowledge (Engineering), Profession, Ride, and Survival.

1|+1|+2|+0|+0|Interpose, Living Wall
    2|+2|+3|+0|+0|Second Skin
    3|+3|+3|+1|+1|Bravery
    4|+4|+4|+1|+1|Weapon Savant
    5|+5|+4|+1|+1|None Shall Pass
    6|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|Running Shield
    7|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2|Rally the Men
    8|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2|Armored Quagmire
    9|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3|At Your Side
    10|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3|One Man Army[/table]

A soldier is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor and shields.

Interpose [Ex.]
    A soldier is always there for their brother-in-arms, laying down their life in the line of duty. If an ally who is adjacent to a soldier is the subject of a successful attack, a soldier, as a free action, moves their ally into an adjacent square and moves into their former square, taking the damage in place of their ally.

A soldier may use this class feature a number of times per encounter equal to their soldier level.

Living Wall [Ex.]
    A soldier's first and foremost duty is to guard their allies on the battlefield. A soldier provides soft cover to any ally that is adjacent to them (but do not grant it to themselves). A soldier must be conscious and able to take actions in order to use this class feature.

Second Skin [Ex.]
    A soldier's armor is always well maintained, being more a part of their body than removable gear. A soldier lowers the armor check penalty incurred by armor they wear and raise the maximum Dexterity bonus it allows by an amount equal to their soldier level.

Bravery [Ex.]
    A soldier is almost fearless in the face of adversity and this boldness inspires those around them. A soldier gains a bonus on saving throws against Fear effects equal to half their soldier level. Allies of the soldier who are within 30 feet receive half this bonus.

Weapon Savant [Ex.]
    A soldier is practically bred for war and shows this in every brutal attack they unleash on their chosen foes. At the beginning of each day, a soldier selects one weapon that they are proficient with, gaining a bonus on attack and damage rolls with the selected weapon equal to half their soldier level for the rest of that day.

None Shall Pass [Ex.]
    A soldier will hold the line, no matter the cost to themselves. Any enemy creature who attempts to move through any square that is within reach of the soldier is incurs an Attack of Opportunity from the soldier. If a soldier has used up their attacks of opportunity for the round they can make an additional attack, taking 5 points of nonlethal damage for each additional attack made in this way.

Running Shield [Ex.]
    A soldier may now use their Interpose class feature as long as their ally is within their base move speed instead of being adjacent to the soldier. A soldier must move in a straight line in order to use Interpose in this manner.

Rally the Men [Ex.]
    The soldier has become a veteran of the meat grinders that are their second homes and can use this to inspire their fellow combatants. As a standard action, a soldier lets out a battle cry, affecting all allies within 30 feet of themselves. The affected allies are cured of fatigue (or are now fatigued if they were exhausted), heal a number of hit points equal to their total hit dice and move twice their base speed for a number of rounds equal to half the soldier's soldier level.

A soldier can use this class feature a number of times per day equal to half their soldier level.

Armored Quagmire [Ex.]
    A soldier's presence on the battlefield is now akin to a feature of nature itself, hampering all who come across them. Any square that is within the soldier's reach is now counted as harsh terrain as long as the soldier is conscious and able to take actions.

At Your Side [Ex.]
    A soldier may now use their Interpose class feature as long as their ally is within twice their base movement speed. A soldier need not move in a straight line when using Interpose in this manner.

One Man Army
    A soldier's body may return home from war, but his mind and soul will never leave the blood soaked grounds. A soldier gains the following:
    • A soldier can move three times their base movement speed when using their Interpose class feature.
    • A soldier can change the weapon that benefits from their Weapon Savant class feature as a full-round action.
    • A soldier does not fall unconscious when brought below 0 hit points and automatically stabilize.

Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-06-23 at 08:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Character Creation - Miscellaneous

Leveling

As a player's character conquerors deep dungeons, slays terrible monsters, solves ancient riddles and rescues fair maidens held by ruinous powers, they accrue experience points for their troubles. Eventually, a character gains enough experience points to go up a level, increasing their power, cunning and renown. The table below shows the necessary experience points for a character to go from one level to the next.

{table=head]Character Level|Experience Point Total
    1|-
    2|1,300
    3|3,300
    4|6,000
    5|10,000
    6|15,000
    7|35,000
    8|51,000
    9|75,000
    10|105,000
    11|155,000
    12|330,000
    13|475,000
    14|665,000
    15|955,000
    16|1,350,000
    17|1,900,000
    18|2,700,000
    19|3,850,000
    20|5,350,000[/table]

Going past 10

The abstract concept that the 10th character level represents is the ceiling for mortal capability. A regular person will never see past this cap in their life time, even if they had reached it in the first place. But player characters are the stuff of legends and heroes of their grand scale can punch straight through, continuing to gain another 10 levels before reaching their peak.

Taking levels past 10 are the same in that the character gains the class features listed for their archetypes, but that is where the similarities stop. They do not roll hit points, gain BaB or increase their saves as the class lists, but do the following:
    • Every even level, the character gains a cumulative +1 Epic bonus to their saving throws.
    • Every odd level, the character gains a cumulative +1 Epic bonus to their attack rolls. This does not grant them extra iterative attacks past what they had at 10th level.
    • The character gains 10 hit points every level. This is not modified by the character's Constitution score, but any increases in Constitution do retroactively affect the hit points gained from their first 10 Class Hit Dice.

Changing Archetypes

A character's Primary Archetype will define them through their entire life, but this is not necessarily true of either their Secondary or Tertiary Archetypes. A momentous and life altering epiphany or event can lead to a character redefining themselves as a person, causing a change in their Secondary Archetype. A Tertiary Archetype requires far less, only needing interest and time to change from one to another.

When a character changes Archetypes they do not lose access to the levels and abilities they gained from previous Archetypes but can no longer take levels in those Archetype's classes unless another event causes them to change back.

An Archetype changing, even a Tertiary one, is an important milestone in an adventure and is not something that happens at the drop of a hat. Changing Archetypes requires GM approval and working side by side with them to determine the ramifications it will have on your character.

Non-Player Characters

Only a Player's character and Non-Player characters of extreme importance use the character creation rules as described above. Very important NPCs (such as a recurring mage who helps the party) use the character creation rules listed above but only receive two Archetypes, a Primary and a Tertiary. NPCs who hold some importance in the setting of the game (such as the town's mage or holy man) use the rules above but only have a 26 point buy, can select only a Primary Archetype and begin play with 20 instead of 30 extra hit points.

Most NPCs though, such as a city soldier or a rural farmer, use creation rules all their own. They begin play with a 10 in every score and are allotted only an 18 point buy, gaining no extra hit points or starter gold as well. They then select one of the three Archetypes listed below and rarely, if ever change or add on to them.

Commoner
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hit Dice: d4
    Favored Skills: Craft and Profession.
    Trained Skills: 1 + Intelligence modifier

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fortitude Save|Reflex Save|Will Save
    1|+0|+0|+0|+0
    2|+1|+0|+0|+0
    3|+1|+1|+1|+1
    [/table]

A commoner is proficient with simple weapons, but no armor.

Noble
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hit Dice: d6
    Favored Skills: Linguistics, Persuasion, Profession and Sense Motive
    Trained Skills: 2 + Intelligence modifier

1|+0|+0|+0|+2
    2|+1|+0|+0|+3
    3|+2|+1|+1|+3
    4|+3|+1|+1|+4
    5|+3|+1|+1|+4
    [/table]

A noble is proficient with simple weapons and light armor.

Warrior
    Spoiler
    Show
    Favored Skills: Perception, Persuasion, Profession and Sense Motive.
    Trained Skills: 1 + Intelligence modifier

1|+1|+2|+0|+0
    2|+2|+3|+0|+0
    3|+3|+3|+1|+1
    4|+4|+4|+1|+1
    5|+5|+4|+1|+1
    6|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2
    7|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2
    8|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2
    9|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3
    10|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3[/table]

A warrior is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and light and medium armor and shields (but not tower shields).
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-06-18 at 12:40 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Skills

Spoiler
    Show

The skills listed below (Athleticism, Deception, Persuasion and Thaumatology) are simply combinations of existing skills (Climb, Swim, Bluff, Disguise, Use Magic Device, Diplomacy, Intimidation, Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft).

Skill Modifiers and Trained Skills

A character (PC or otherwise), determines the bonus they receive on a specific skill check by adding their total hit dice to the relevant ability score modifier for the skill. If a character is considered Trained in the use of a specific skill they gain a +5 bonus to the result of a check using that skill.

Athleticism
    Spoiler
    Show
    Associated Score: Strength
    Armor Check Penalty: Yes
    Use Untrained: Yes

Check: With a successful Athleticism check you can advance up, down, or across a slope, wall or other steep incline (or even across a ceiling provided it has handholds) at one quarter your normal speed. Any incline that is at an angle measuring less than 60 degrees is considered a slope; any incline measuring 60 degrees or more is a wall. If you fail the check by 4 or less it means you have made no progress at all; if you fail by 5 you have lost your grip and fall whatever distance you've already attained.

{table=head]Example Surface or Activity|Climb DC
    A slope too steep to walk up, or a knotted rope with a wall to brace against|0
    A rope with a wall to brace against|5
    A surface with ledges to hold on to and stand on,such as a very rough wall or a ship’s rigging.|10
    Any surface with adequate handholds and footholds (natural or artificial), such as a very rough natural rock surface or a tree, or an unknotted rope, or pulling yourself up when dangling by your hands.|15
    An uneven surface with narrow handholds and footholds, such as a typical wall in a dungeon.|20
    A rough surface, such as a natural rock wall or a brick wall.|25
    An overhang or ceiling with handholds only.|30
    A perfectly smooth, flat vertical (or inverted) surface cannot be climbed.|-[/table]

{table=head]Example Surface or Activity|Climb DC Modifier*
    Climbing a chimney (artificial or natural) or other location where you can brace against two opposite walls.|-10
    Climbing a corner where you can brace against perpendicular walls.|-5
    Surface is slippery.|+5[/table]
    * These modifiers are cumulative; use all that apply.

You need both hands free to climb, but you may cling to a wall with one hand while you take some other action that requires only one free hand. You cannot avoid a blow while climbing, losing your Dexterity bonus to your Reflex Defense (if any). You also can not benefit from a shield. If you take damage while climbing you must make another Athleticism check at the DC of the surface you are climbing. Failure means you lose purchase, falling the necessary distance.

Accelerated Climbing: By accepting a -5 penalty to the check you may move half your speed when climbing instead of one-quarter.

Make Your Own Handholds and Footholds: You can creature your own handholds and footholds by pounding pitons into the surface you are climbing. Do this takes 1 minute per piton and one piton is required for every 5 feet of distance climbed. A climber with a handaxe or similar implements can cut handholds in an ice wall in this way.

Catch Yourself When Falling: Though nearly impossible, the DC to catch yourself while falling is the normal DC for the surface +10 (for a slope) or +20 (for a wall).

Catch a Falling Person While Climbing: If someone who was climbing above or adjacent to you falls, if they are in reach of you, you may attempt to catch them. This requires you to make a successful melee touch attack against the falling character (they may voluntarily forgo adding their Dexterity bonus to their Reflex Defense). If your attack succeeds you must make an Athleticism check at the surface's DC+10.

Success indicates that you catch them, but if their total weight exceeds your heavy load limit you automatically fall yourself. Failing this check by 4 or less means you fail to catch them but do not fall yourself. Failure by 5 or more means that you do not catch them and fall from the surface as well.

You also can use the Athleticism skill when attempting to swim. A swim check must be made once a round while you are in the water. Success allows you to move up to half your speed (as a full-round action) or at one quarter your speed (as a move action). Failing by 4 or less means that you have made no progress and if you fail by 5 or more you go underwater.

If you are underwater you must hold your breath, being able to do so for a number of rounds equal to twice your Constitution score. You can only take move actions or free actions while holding your breath. If you take any standard or full-round actions, the remainder of time you have is reduced by 1 round each time.

After this time has elapsed you must make a DC 10 Constitution check to continue holding your breath for another round. This DC increases by 1 for each subsequent round. If you fail this check at any point you gain the Drowning Condition.

{table=head]Water|Swim DC
    Calm water|10
    Rough water|15
    Stormy water|20*[/table]
    * You can't take 10 on a swim check in stormy water.

Every hour that you spend swimming requires you to make a DC 20 Athleticism check or take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage from exertion and fatigue.

Action: Attempting to climb with this skill is generally part of another move action. Swimming at one-quarter your speed is a move action and half your speed is a full-round action.

Special: When climbing you can use a rope to haul another person upward (or lower them) through just your strength. You can lift double your maximum load in this manner.

A creature with a swim speed gains a +8 racial bonus when swimming and may always take a 10 on an Athleticism check for swimming regardless of the condition of the water.

Deception
    Spoiler
    Show
    Associated Score: Charisma
    Armor Check Penalty: No

Check: Deception is an opposed skill check against another creature's Sense Motive or Perception skill. You can use it either to fool or lie to someone or to disguise your appearance and true nature. Both usages of the skill rely on the believability of the action and the resources you put into it.

Lying: Use the following table to determine the modifiers to your resulting when attempting to tell a lie to another creature. Keep in mind though that some lies are so improbable (or just downright impossible) to convince anyone that they are true (though this is up to the discretion of the GM).

{table=head]Circumstances|Bluff Modifier
    Subject wants to believe you|+5
    The lie is believable|+0
    The lie is unlikely|-5
    The lie is far-fetched|-10
    The lie is impossible|-20
    Subject is drunk or impaired|+5
    You possess convincing evidence|up to +10[/table]

Disguising yourself: You do not need to make a Deception check while disguising your appearance unless you draw the attention of anyone who are suspicious (such as a guard on alert for the flow of traffic in and out of the city gate they are watching). In this case it is assumed those individuals are taking 10s on their Perception checks (unless you draw their specific attention). You only get one check per use of the skill this way (even if several creatures are making Perception checks against it) and it is rolled secretly (so you can never really be sure how good the result is).

The effectiveness of your disguise is dependent upon how drastically you change your appearance. Using the Deception skill in this manner can make you appear like a creature that is one size category larger or small than yourself. This does not affect your actual size or reach if you enter combat wearing your disguise.

{table=head]Disguise|Check modifier
    Minor details only|+5
    Disguised as a different gender*|-2
    Disguised as a different race*|-2
    Disguised as a different age category*|-2**
    Disguised as a different size category*|-10[/table]
    * The modifiers are cumulative; use all that apply.
    ** Per step between your actual age category and your disguised age category. The steps are: young (younger than adulthood), adulthood, middle age, old, and venerable.

Feint: You can use the Deception skill to feint in combat, causing a creature to be denied their Dexterity bonus to their Reflex Defense against your next attack. The DC of this check is equal to 10+the creature's base attack bonus+the creature's Wisdom modifier. If the creature is trained in the Sense Motive skill, the DC is instead 10+the creature's Sense Motive modifier (if higher).

Secret Messages: You can use the Deception skill to pass along hidden messages to another creature without other understanding the true meaning by using innuendos. The DC of this check is 15 for simple messages and 20 for complex ones. If you are successful, the target automatically understands you (assuming you both share a language). If you fail the check by 5 or more, you deliver the wrong message. Other creatures that receive the message can decipher it by succeeding on an opposed Sense Motive check.

Action: Attempting to deceive someone takes at least 1 round, though more elaborate lies can possibly take longer (this is determined by the LC on a case-by-case basis).
    Creating a disguise requires 1d3x10 minutes of work.
    Feinting in combat is a standard action.
    Conveying secret messages takes twice as long as it normally would take to convey the information.

Try Again: If you fail to deceive someone, further attempts to deceive them are at a -10 penalty and may be impossible (at the GM's discretion).
    You may attempt to make a new disguise but once others are aware you tried to disguise yourself they will be more alert and suspicious.
    You can attempt to feint against a creature again if you fail.
    Secret messages can be relayed again if the first attempt fails.

Persuasion
    Spoiler
    Show
    Associated Score: Charisma

Check:

Gathering Information: By exploring local meeting places (such as taverns or marketplaces) for 1d4 hours you are able to gather information on a specific individual or topic. Commonly known fact or rumors will generally have a DC of 10, while more obscure or secret knowledge will have a DC of 20. It is up to the GM to determine the DCs of this check and whether or not the information is simply unknown to common people.

Influencing: The Persuasion skill can be used to change the attitude of creatures to be more favorable towards you or to ask them to complete specific tasks. The DC for using Persuasion in this manner is 15 + the creature's Hit Dice + the creature's Wisdom modifier. If the creature who is being influenced is part of a group or gathering of creatures who have interest in the creature being influenced or the conversation itself than you use the highest Hit Dice and Wisdom modifier from amongst them.

The check result for influencing the creature is also based upon your relationship with the creature and what they stand to gain from dealing with you in exchange for what you are asking of them, as shown on the tables below.

{table=head]Relationship|Modifier
    Intimate|-10
    Close Friend|-7
    Ally|-5
    Acquaintance (Positive relationship)|-2
    Just Met|+0
    Acquaintance (Negative relationship)|+2
    Enemy|+5
    Personal Foe|+7
    Nemesis|+10[/table]

{table=head]Nature of the Deal|Modifier
    Fantastic|-10
    Favorable|-5
    Even|+0
    Unfavorable|+5
    Horrible|+10[/table]

Spoiler
    Show
    This rework of Diplomancy is brought to you by Rich Burlew

Demoralize: The Persuasion skill can be used to demoralize a foe during combat. As a standard action, a character selects one creature within 30 feet of themselves (who can see and hear them) and makes a Persuasion roll. The DC is equal to 10 + the creature's Hit Dice + the creature's Wisdom modifier. If successful, the creature gains the shaken condition for one round; this is increased by 1 round for every 5 points you exceed the check by.

Action: Using Persuasion to gather information takes 1d4 hours.

Using Persuasion to influence a creature requires at least 1 minute of conversation but may take longer.

Using Persuasion to demoralize an opponent takes a standard action.

Try Again:

Gather Information: You may attempt to to gather information again, taking another 1d4 hours, but there may simply be nothing further to learn.

Influencing: As long as you do not fail any check by 10 or more, you can continue the conversation, altering your intended deal or offering new ones to better haggle the creature(s). Failing by 10 or more ends the conversation and the creature will not speak with you further concerning the matter for at least 24 hours.

Demoralize: You may attempt to demoralize a foe as often as you wish as long as you can take a standard action.

Thaumatology
    Spoiler
    Show
    Associated Score: Intelligence
    Use Untrained: No

Check:

Knowledge concerning ancient mysteries, magic traditions, arcane symbols, constructs, dragons and magical beasts: See the Knowledge Skill.

Determining a Supernatural Ability or Identifying a Magic Item or Ritual Spell: You may attempt to identify a Supernatural ability as it is being used or after the fact. The DC to identify an ability in this manner is 15 + 1/2 the creature's total Hit Dice. Identifying a Magic Item or Ritual Spell uses the same DC.

Craft a Magic Item or Cast a Ritual Spell: Thaumatology is the skill that governs Ritual Magic. The DC for Ritual Magic is always at least 15, but it varies from Ritual to Ritual.

Action:

Knowledge: See the Knowledge skill.

Determining: This requires no action but incurs the same penalties as a Perception skill check due to distance, poor conditions, and other factors.

Crafting/Casting: The use of Thaumatology in this regard takes no action but can only be used after the length of time the Ritual requires.

Try Again:

Knowledge: See the Knowledge skill.

Determining: No.

Crafting/Casting: Yes, but the Ritual it was used in must be redone.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-06-20 at 05:25 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Feats

Spoiler
    Show
    Since Ouroboros does not use the same magic system as Pathfinder, all metamagic feats cannot be used when playing Ouroboros.

Feats that required a specific level in Fighter only requires that a character has the same amount of levels in one or more classes that grant a full base attack bonus progression.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-06-20 at 08:58 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Equipment

Wealth and Currency
    Spoiler
    Show

Coins
    There exists eight different coinages used through out the civilized portions (and sizable amount of the less civilized ones) starting with the copper piece (the least valuable) and ending with the adamantine piece (the most valuable). The most commonly used piece of currency is the electrum piece and is the standard for most measurements of wealth. The chart below shows the conversion rate between each coin.

{table=head]Coin|cp|ip|ep|sp|gp|pp|ap
    Copper piece (cp)|1|1/10|1/100|1/1,000|1/10,000|1/100,000|1/1,000,000
    Iron piece (ip)|10|1|1/10|1/100|1/1,000|1/10,000|1/100,000
    Electrum piece (ep)|100|10|1|1/10|1/100|1/1,000|1/10,000
    Silver (sp)|1,000|100|10|1|1/10|1/100|1/1,000
    Gold (gp)|10,000|1,000|100|10|1|1/10|1/100
    Platinum (pp)|100,000|10,000|1,000|100|10|1|1/10
    Adamantine (ap)|1,000,000|100,000|10,000|1,000|100|10|1
    [/table]

Bartering
    Though currency is very widely used, not all will accept it (especially when they have nowhere to actually spend the currency), preferring to trade in items and goods for other goods and services rendered. The table below gives a frame of reference for such bartering.

{table=head]Item|Cost
    One pound of wheat|1 cp
    One pound of flour, or one chicken|2 cp
    One pound of iron|1 ip
    One pound of tobacco or copper|5 ip
    One pound of cinnamon, or one goat|1 ep
    One pound of ginger or pepper, or one sheep|2 ep
    One pig|3 ep
    One square yard of linen|4 ep
    One pound of salt or silver|5 ep
    One square yard of silk, or one cow|1 sp
    One pound of saffron or cloves, or one ox|15 ep
    One pound of gold|5 sp
    One pound of platinum|5 gp[/table]

Selling Treasure
    Treasure, or other items, are generally sold for half their actual value when sold back to a merchant or other individual (this includes items created by characters). The only exception to this is trade goods, which are always worth their listed value and can be considered an equivalent to currency itself.

Armor
    Spoiler
    Show

Armor Damage Mitigation

Armor is not only useful for preventing a hit from connecting in the first place (by raising a creature's AC) but also reduces the amount of damage a creature takes if said hits connect. Light armor reduces physical damage taken by 25%, medium armor by 50% and Heavy armor by 75%, though a creature always takes at least 1 point of damage. This mitigation is reduced by one step (0%/25%/50%) when the creature is dealt non-physical damage.

Shields provide 25% damage mitigation as light armor regardless of the type of shield, but this is the same for both physical and non-physical damage. This stacks with the mitigation provided by armor to a maximum 90% damage mitigation.

Magic Armor, Weapons and Gear
    Spoiler
    Show

Since magic based classes are handled differently in Ouroboros than they are in standard Pathfinder, the normal assortment of items of this type do not exist and are not created in that manner. The rules for creating magical armor, weapons and gear will be outlined in the Ritual Magic section.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-06-20 at 08:55 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Combat

Armor Class
    Spoiler
    Show

A Player Character's AC is determined by the following formula:

• AC = 10 + 1/2 Hit Dice or Armor Bonus + Dexterity Modifier + Miscellaneous bonuses

A character wearing armor uses the armor bonus for the equipment while an unarmored character uses half their total hit dice.

A non-player character does not gain a bonus from their hit dice, only able to increase their Armor class by wearing armor or other means.

Rolling a Natural 1 or Natural 20
    Spoiler
    Show

In Ouroboros, there exist no automatic failures or automatic successes, but there are critical failures and critical successes.

When a player rolls a Natural 1, they re-roll the d20 and take a -10 penalty to the new result. This continues and stacks if the player continues to roll a Natural 1.

When a player rolls a Natural 20, they re-roll the d20 and gain a +10 bonus on the new result. This continues and stacks if the player continues to roll a Natural 20.

This rule does not apply for confirming Critical hits.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-06-20 at 08:54 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Gods, The Cosmos and Everything

Spoiler
    Show
    The things on this post are more Campaign Setting fluff and are not intrinsic to the mechanics of Ouroboros, so feel free to skip this all over.

The Planes
    Spoiler
    Show

The Prime Material

The Prime Material, home to the varying races of mortals, is the strangest of the countless planes that float erratically in the unending chaos and turbulence of the Gewhul, in that it not only has nearly every conceivable variation of energy, element, power and life coexisting and intermingling naturally (and in some cases unnaturally), but it also the most finite of planes.

The Prime Material is split into five parts: The Sonnevelt, The Liebriech, The Drohungvelt, The Athervelt and The Wachevelt.

The Sonnevelt, Liebriech and Drohungvelt make up the physical body of the Prime Material while the Athervelt and Wachevelt are immaterial spheres that surround, contain and touch the former three on nearly all levels. When referred to as a whole, the former three are known as the Achtzenvelt and the latter two as the Zwilgeist.

The Sonnevelt and Drohungvelt are each sides of the same coin with the Liebriech falling betwixt, but are as distant from each other as the Zwilgeist are from the three, requiring special passages or Ritual Magic to breech the divide. The Sonnevelt and Drohungvelt both have a surface area of over 75 billion squares miles and none of the races that currently call each side home have really yet to even discover a stone's throw of the width and breadth, leading to the belief that one could truly lose eighteen worlds in their scope. The Liebriech is a mere 14,000 miles thick but is as labyrinth as either world that falls above or below it and unlike the other two, simple digging can lead one into the Liebriech.

The Sonnevelt has much in common with other Material Planes (save it's mammoth size and environs that seem to vary on a whim and follow no common laws). The Liebriech is analogous to the Underdark of most worlds and as a dark reflection of the Sonnevelt, the Drohungvelt is like the Plane of Shadow.

The Athervelt and Wachevelt are analogs to the Etheral and Astral Planes respectively.

Gewhul, The Chaos Sea

Gewhul is an ever-churning, ever-changing plane of utter aggression and flat out insanity. Though for the most part it is as empty and uniform as the Athervelt of the Prime Material, there exist storms of elements (sometimes intermixed, conflicting or both) larger than a mortal mind can generally comprehend that can fall upon a traveler before they even know it. Gravity as well can randomly shift without a single warning, though the common state is a drifting lack of pull.

Inside Gewhul's anarchic bosom rests every plane that is, fragile soap bubbles in a boiling pot that are protected by an intricate lattice work of unknown material that no mind is quite sure of the exact composition or origins.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-06-20 at 08:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Reserved Post J
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-06-20 at 08:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Reserved Post K

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Reserved Post L

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Encounter Index - A through Z

Bunyip
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bunyip

The surface of the water breaks, revealing a horrific creature with the head of a dog, the horns of a bull, the body of a walrus and the mottled skin of a sea star.

Bunyip CR 5
    XP 1,200
    Large Aberration (Water)
    Init +4; Senses Blindsight 30 ft., Darkvision 60 ft. ; Perception +13

Defenses

AC 16, Touch 9, flatfooted 16; (+7 natural armor, -1 size)
    hp 59 (7d8+28); Regeneration 3 (Electricity or Fire)
    Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +6
    Immune Dessication
    Weaknesses Vulnerability to Electricity

Offenses

Speed 30 ft.; Burrow 30 ft., Swim 60 ft.
    Melee Bite +7 (1d8+3) and Gore +7 (1d8+3)
    Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
    Special Attacks breath weapon (40-ft. cone, DC 17, 3d4 See Desiccating Breath), Desiccating Breath

Statistics

Str 16, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 10
    Base Atk +5; CMB +9; CMD 19 (Can't be tripped)
    Feats Improved Initiative, Improved Natural attack (Bite), Toughness
    Trained Skills Appraise, Perception, Persuasion and Stealth.
    Skills Appraise +12, Athleticism +18 (Swimming), Perception +13, Persuasion +12, Stealth +12
    Languages Aklo

Special Abilities

Desiccating Breath [Su]
    A Bunyip's breath weapon deals desiccation damage, causing those hit by it to have the water in their bodies to literal dry up. Desiccation damage is treated as hit points lost from thirst and can only be healed naturally. A creature that is of the Plant type or has the Water subtype takes double damage from a Bunyip's breath weapon.

If directed at a body of water, the Bunyip's breath weapon dries up one cubic foot of water for every square that it's breath weapon covers.

Ecology

Environment Temperate or Warm lakes and marshes
    Organization Solitary
    Treasure triple

Legends tell of how the original Bunyip began its life as a simple thief; a thief so consumed by avarice that it defined him more than any other joy or sorrow that life brings. He was a thief of some talent, but like all story tale villains, he eventually was done in by his own hubris. But it was not the axe or the chains for him, no, the law of the land had a different punishment for those of his ilk. He was bound, gagged and blindfolded and taken to the dead center of a terrible swamp, cut free and abandoned to the whims of nature itself as his sentence.

For days he stumbled and tried to survive, but the goings were tough. The water was too befouled to drink of, the game too elusive without weapon or time and the plants pure murder for his bowels. He would have nearly died if not for the stroke of luck that had him tumble down a sinkhole, finding himself in the lost temple of a long forgotten goddess. All around him was pure water to drink and fresh fruit to eat, but even at death's door the thief knew not repentance for his ways. He ignored this salvation, his eyes set only on the jewel the size of his head that laid upon the altar in the center of the temple.

Upon taking it, the goddess showed her displeasure, cursing the thief for all eternity. He was transformed into a terrible monster that blended aspects of horse, bull, dog, walrus and starfish and cast out of the temple as a foe to both water and fruit, the two gifts he ignored. Though Bunyips have spread through out the world, there are tales in forgotten tomes that the progenitor still lives, sleeping in some forgotten swamp.

Bunyips are intelligent predators the size of a full grown horse that construct submerged grottos in fetid swamps. As intelligent as a common human, their lives revolve around the accumulation of material wealth to the point that even their own survival is not more important than the defense of their hoard. A Bunyip will not suffer the existence of another Bunyip in its territory, but they are more likely to manipulate local populations of humanoids with promises of abated destruction (for they never will offer wealth in honesty) in return of service.

Bunyips can easily live to half a millennia and reproduce asexually once every decade, producing dozens of tadpole sized offspring from their mass. Fully sapient at birth, these spawn make their first fight for survival as they try to escape their wrathful parent to attempt to build a territory and hoard of their own, growing to maturity after a decade.

The average Bunyip stands five or six feet at the shoulder and weigh between 1,000 and 1,500 pounds.

Ogre
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ogre

Standing before, and a good head over, you is a giant of a man with arms as thick as a python and a filthy body garbed in cured animal skin. A club dangles from one hand, his beady eyes concentrated on the purse at your hip.

Ogre CR 3
    XP 800
    Large Humanoid (Ogre)
    Init +0; Senses Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision ; Perception +9

Defenses

AC 17, Touch 8, flatfooted 17; ( +4 armor, -1 Dex, +5 natural armor, -1 size)
    hp 30 (4d8+12)
    Fort +6, Ref +0, Will +3

Offenses

Speed 30 ft. (40 ft. base)
    Melee Greatclub +7 (2d8+7)
    Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Natural Bully

Statistics

Str 21, Dex 8, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 8
    Base Atk +3; CMB +9; CMD 16
    Feats Iron Will, Toughness
    Trained Skills Perception
    Skills Perception +9
    Languages Giant

Special Abilities

Natural Bully [Ex.]
    Ogres gravitate towards being cruel and harsh to anything smaller than themselves. An Ogres gains a +2 bonus on attack rolls against any creature at least one size category smaller than themselves but take a -2 penalty on attack rolls against creatures at least one size category larger than themselves.

Ecology

Environment temperate plains, hills or mountains
    Organization solitary, pair, gang (3-4), family (5-16) or tribe (25-80 plus 150% noncombatants plus 1 Ogre Brave [It has 1-3 levels in the Warrior class] per 10 adults, 1 Ogre Medicine Man [It has at least 1 level in the Noble class and is trained in the Heal skill] per 20 adults and 1 Ogre Chieftain [It has at least 4 levels in the Warrior Class]).
    Treasure NPC Gear (hide armor, greatclub other treasure)

The least of all Giants, the similarities that can be found between Ogres and humans stop at their very similar appearance. It is possible that at one time the two may have been related but as time marched on, humanity progressed and flourished as a civilization while Ogres sunk further into barbarism.

Though they do not actually practice generally the horrific taboos that are attributed to them in the cautionary tales you would hear in your local tavern (such as necrophilia, incest and self-mutilation), they do not see any issue with eating smaller humanoids or to force couplings to breed more resilient or intelligent spawn. They can be as brutal and savage as the barroom chatter can lead one to believe, but if they were the sadomasochistic horrors spoke of then it would lead a scholar to ponder how they could form the large tribal culture they actual support. As such, stories of that kind are regarded as outliers or simply rogue families on the move by those of more learned minds.

Orc
    Spoiler
    Show
    Orc

The primitive warrior before you looks like a human but with more simian features. Standing a head over the common man, it's skin is a deep gray and it's wild hair is jet black.

Orc Warrior 1 CR 1 1/2
    XP 400
    Medium Humanoid (Orc)
    Init +0; Senses Low-light vision ; Perception +3

Defenses

AC 14, Touch 10, flatfooted 14; ( +3 armor, +1 natural armor )
    hp 19 (2d8+1d8+6)
    Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +0

Offenses

Speed 30 ft.
    Melee Greataxe +7 (1d12+4)
    Ranged Shortbow +3 (1d6)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.

Statistics

Str 17, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 6
    Base Atk +2; CMB +6; CMD 16
    Feats Weapon Focus (Greataxe), Weapon Focus (Shortbow)
    Trained Skills Persuasion
    Skills Perception +3, Persuasion +11
    Languages Orcish

Special Abilities

Ferocity [Ex.]
    An orc remains conscious and can continue fighting even if its hit point total is below 0. It is still staggered and loses 1 hit point each round. A creature with ferocity still dies when its hit point total reaches a negative amount equal to its Constitution score.

Intimidating Presence [Ex.]
    An orc uses its Strength modifier in place of its Charisma modifier when using the Persuasion skill.

Ecology

Environment temperate plains, hills or mountains
    Organization solitary, pair, gang (2-4), band (11-20 plus 2 Orc Sergeants [They 3 levels in Warrior instead of 1] and 1 Band Leader [It has 3 to 6 levels in Warrior]), tribe (30-100 plus 150% noncombatants plus 1 Orc Sergeant per 10 adults, 1 Band Leader per 20 adults, and 1 Orc Chieftan [It has at least 6 levels in Warrior] or Orc Shaman [It has at least 1 level in the Priest Archetype class] per 30 adults) or war horde (150-500 plus 1 Orc Sergeant per 10 adults, 1 Band Leader per 20 adults, 1 Orc Chieftan or Orc Shaman per 30 adults and 1 Orc War Chief [It has at least 6 levels in the Barbarian Archetype class and has the Giant simple template])
    Treasure NPC Gear (studded leather armor, greataxe, shortbow with 30 arrows, other treasure)

Proud and as wild as the lands that they claim as their territories, the orcs are a bountiful and quick breeding race kept only in check by their primitive lifestyles. Living in (usually) patriarchal nomadic tribes, Orc culture revolves around the need to survive and the cultivation of unassailable strength. To this end orcs come across as violent and warlike, but it is merely an outcome of their booming populations and limited resources.

Orc tribes are far more likely to come to blows with neighbors (especially other orcs) than diplomacy, their harsh lives leaving little time to be wasted on words when strength can provide them more readily. Orcs are not overtly cruel or suicidal, avoiding noncombatants in raids or invasions if they can and retreating (or not attacking in the first place) a vastly more powerful foe. And though they are patriarchal, it is not unheard of for powerful female orcs to hold positions of prestige within or hold control over their tribe.

When the land provides without strain, the number of orc tribes are low and the other races open minded, it can come to be that orcs can live peacefully side by side with other races. It is in these conditions that Half-Orcs can be found in enough numbers to form their own communities (as opposed to children born from rare interbreeding [be it voluntary or otherwise]). Sadly, if the resources ever become strained, more orc tribes encroach or relations and mind sour, this peace can shatter like glass.

Orcs by nature are very superstitious, holding great respect for members of their own race who wield any form of Supernatural power and holding great distrust and fear outsiders who wield it as well.

The shortest of male orcs never stand less than 5'10'' or weigh less than 170 lbs, while the more robust specimens can reach almost 8' in height and weigh over 300 lbs. Hushed legends tell of the terrifying hulks that lead the fabled Orc war hordes, putting even the mightiest orc to shame in proportions. Orcs are very similar in appearance to humans, but have gray toned skin, prodigious amounts of black body hair, longer limbs and a more ape-like facial structure.

Orc Characters
    • +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma: Orcs are strong and enduring, but have primitive minds and relate poorly with normal civilization.
    • Low-light vision: Orcs can see twice as far as humans in poor illumination.
    • Ferocity: An orc remains conscious and can continue fighting even if its hit point total is below 0. It is still staggered and loses 1 hit point each round. A creature with ferocity still dies when its hit point total reaches a negative amount equal to its Constitution score.
    • Intimidating Presence: An orc uses its Strength modifier in place of its Charisma modifier when using the Persuasion skill.
    • 2 Racial Hit Dice: Orcs possess two humanoid hit dice.
    • Effective level: An Orc, with no class levels, is the equivalent of a 1st level character.
    • Languages: Orcs begin play speaking Orcish and Common.

Salamander
    Spoiler
    Show
    Salamander

The creature is slick and lizard-like, standing as large as a wolfhound. Black skin is juxtaposed to a massive golden splotch running the course of it's back, smoke leaking in idle whisps from its parted lips.

Salamander CR 3
    XP 800
    Medium Magical Beast
    Init +6; Senses Blindsight 10 ft., Darkvision 60 ft. ; Perception +9

Defenses

AC 15, Touch 12, flatfooted 13; ( +2 Dexterity, +3 Natural Armor )
    hp 30 (3d10+12)
    Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +2
    Immune Fire and Poison
    Weaknesses Vulnerability to Cold

Offenses

Speed 20 ft.; Swim 40 ft.
    Melee Bite +6 (1d6+3)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks breath weapon (30-ft. cone, DC 14, 2d6 fire)

Statistics

Str 16, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
    Base Atk +3; CMB +6; CMD 18 (22 vs. trip)
    Feats Improved Initiative, Toughness
    Trained Skills Perception
    Skills Athleticism +11 (Swimming); Perception +9
    Languages None

Special Abilities

Venomous Milk [Ex.]
    Skin - contact ; save Fort DC 14; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d2 Con damage; cure 1 save.

Ecology

Environment Warm swamps
    Organization Solitary, Pair or Breeding Clutch (4-20)
    Treasure None

Born long ago from the interbreeding of creatures of elemental fire and innocent amphibians, Salamanders are sluggish predators that thrive in swamps and marshlands that are both oppressively hot and sites of heavy rainfall. Though creatures of fire, Salamanders enjoy both the cool waters of their homes and to be out during the heavy rains that frequent those environs.

Slow moving out of water, Salamanders keep a steady pace when approaching potential prey, making use of their innate scorching breath to either hamper or outright kill their food. This, combined with a potent toxin they excrete in creamy dollops from their skin when excited or frightened, make Salamanders rarely predated upon save by their own kind.

Salamanders are solitary creatures by nature, but once a year during the heaviest rainfall, will congregate into a massive gathering. Breeding pairs are determined by instinct, the couples leaving to breed and lay a clutch of eggs. The parents will watch over the offspring until they hatch, both splitting up and abandoning the newborns to fall upon each other.

Salamander skin is highly sought after to create fire-proof clothing, but the dangers of obtaining it and the difficulty of retrieving the skin in enough quantities to fashion even a shirt make such items existing far and few between.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-06-24 at 06:25 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Reserved Post
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-06-15 at 08:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Reserved Post O
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-06-20 at 08:42 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Reserved Post P
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-06-20 at 08:42 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Reserved Post Q
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-06-20 at 08:43 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Reserved Post R

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Reserved Post S

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Reserved Post T

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Reserved Post U

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Reserved Post V
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-06-20 at 08:44 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Reserved Post W

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Reserved Post X

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Reserved Post Y

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Reserved Post Z

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

[-Snipped-]
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-06-07 at 09:51 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

[-Snipped-]
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-06-07 at 09:50 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

[-Snipped-]
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-06-07 at 09:50 AM.