Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 81
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somewhere Warm
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    How about Tyrfing?

    Dwarf made, passes through metal and stone like a hot knife through butter.

    However, if drawn, it can't be sheathed until the wielder uses it to kill something.
    On a quest to marry Asmodeus, lord of the Nine Hells, or die trying.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    TheWombatOfDoom's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Aldain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    What about a sword of sundering. A sword capable of destroying even the legendary swords. There could be a campaign set with all these swords, and the party has to try and collect them all before they're all destroyed by the sword of sundering.

    Do any of these swords have egos?
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2012-07-03 at 07:37 AM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

    World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

    Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    Do you mind if I use these blades in my Eargon campaign I am making?

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somewhere Warm
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    There's also the possibility of the Twelve Swords of Power from the Book of Swords Series.

    They have interesting powers. Though some of them have powers that are similar to the already stated swords.
    On a quest to marry Asmodeus, lord of the Nine Hells, or die trying.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Ossian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    The weights listed are a tad off, but oh wel...they are LEGENDARY SWORDS!
    They are probably made of high density collapsed neutron star metal...

    I suppose one of them (the prismatic blade) is Excalibur? Otherwise, I would throw it in the bunch:

    +5 Bastard Sword.

    Beautifully polished tapering blade of the shiniest steel with three fullers
    Crossguard made of torqued gold, with red gems at the tips of the cross and on the pommel. Black leather hilt.

    In knightly style, and for those knightly days, this is the weapon you want to have by your side in a tourney. Especially good against armoured and shielded opponents, it is adamantine (so bye bye DR when sundering) and is a weapon of wounding (maybe not as good as Keen, but let's not make them ALL keen weapons). That CON loss at every hit will soon force you to gallantly acknowledge yer defeat and yell "mercy!" or "quarter!". The weapon is even more effective in the hands of a good erring knight, as it is legally aligned (so all agitators and black knights causing strife and bringing chaos to the land be warned!). It just so happens to be good Vs witches and ogres (a knight's fare, ca va sans dire) as they re chaotic too. Excalibur will SNAP is used to strike down an opponent who has surrendered and no longer poses a threat, especially if said opponent has fought valiantly, and fairly, for whatever cause (even if it is an evil cause). The sword rewards valour and boldness, so the bonuses provided by a charge are doubled. If the opponent is dismounted, or has no shield, and the wielder also dismounts, or drops the shield, excalibur grants the owner a +5 confidence bonus to all saves for the duration of that combat.

    Better than excalibut is its scabbard: made FOR the sword, covered in red silk and lined with ancient celtic runes in gold silk thread, as long as the scabbard is by the knight's side (or even in his hands) there can be almost no blood loss. CON loss due to bleeding is denied up to 5 points, and the owner reganerates up to 5 HP per round if dealt by piercing and slashing weapons.

    There is a catch: the cuts are still there. If the scabbard is dropped, they all re open. The HP suffered up to that point return (as in, they are subtracted from the total remaining) at a rate of 5 per round. (too much book keeping?)

    ONWARDS!!! (heroically...)



    So to summarize:
    Legendary +5 Adamantine Axiomatic Bastard Sword of Wounding
    Charge to-hit bonus is +4
    If the owner does not take advantage of a situation, +5 to all saves
    Last edited by Ossian; 2012-07-03 at 08:42 AM.
    Enjoy my creations
    Gatsu, from Berserk (Kentaro Miura's)
    A hero: the Tekkaman space-knight.
    The villain he has to face: Dobrai, Valdaster Overlord from Tekkaman


    Threadwinner of Vs Mage challenges.
    Warning: may perform below standards if target has no heat signature (eg: undead mage)

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Here and there.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    There's also the possibility of the Twelve Swords of Power from the Book of Swords Series.

    They have interesting powers. Though some of them have powers that are similar to the already stated swords.
    I've glazed through the Twelve Swords of Power. I considered it. At the time I overlooked them. But since someone else has shown interest in them, I could stat them here now if you'd like.
    Quote Originally Posted by dantiesilva View Post
    Do you mind if I use these blades in my Eargon campaign I am making?
    Of course, have fun with it and lemme know how they work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    What about a sword of sundering. A sword capable of destroying even the legendary swords. There could be a campaign set with all these swords, and the party has to try and collect them all before they're all destroyed by the sword of sundering.

    Do any of these swords have egos?
    That would be Tonbogiri, The blade of blades.
    No, they aren't intelligent. More like the magic inside them is fate-bound, guided by folklore, legends, rumors, and fate itself. Thus Clarent is fated to find its way to the throne, stuff like that. Some could be intelligent however. Perhaps like that sword from Familiar of Zero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    How about Tyrfing?

    Dwarf made, passes through metal and stone like a hot knife through butter.

    However, if drawn, it can't be sheathed until the wielder uses it to kill something.
    I believe that may be the same sword as Dáinsleif, Dáinsleif can't be sheathed until it kills a man. I used the version in which Dáinsleif, rather then ignoring stone and metal, leaves wounds that can't be recovered from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ossian View Post
    The weights listed are a tad off, but oh wel...they are LEGENDARY SWORDS!
    They are probably made of high density collapsed neutron star metal...

    I suppose one of them (the prismatic blade) is Excalibur? Otherwise, I would throw it in the bunch:

    +5 Bastard Sword.

    Beautifully polished tapering blade of the shiniest steel with three fullers
    Crossguard made of torqued gold, with red gems at the tips of the cross and on the pommel. Black leather hilt.

    In knightly style, and for those knightly days, this is the weapon you want to have by your side in a tourney. Especially good against armoured and shielded opponents, it is adamantine (so bye bye DR when sundering) and is a weapon of wounding (maybe not as good as Keen, but let's not make them ALL keen weapons). That CON loss at every hit will soon force you to gallantly acknowledge yer defeat and yell "mercy!" or "quarter!". The weapon is even more effective in the hands of a good erring knight, as it is legally aligned (so all agitators and black knights causing strife and bringing chaos to the land be warned!). It just so happens to be good Vs witches and ogres (a knight's fare, ca va sans dire) as they re chaotic too. Excalibur will SNAP is used to strike down an opponent who has surrendered and no longer poses a threat, especially if said opponent has fought valiantly, and fairly, for whatever cause (even if it is an evil cause). The sword rewards valour and boldness, so the bonuses provided by a charge are doubled. If the opponent is dismounted, or has no shield, and the wielder also dismounts, or drops the shield, excalibur grants the owner a +5 confidence bonus to all saves for the duration of that combat.

    Better than excalibut is its scabbard: made FOR the sword, covered in red silk and lined with ancient celtic runes in gold silk thread, as long as the scabbard is by the knight's side (or even in his hands) there can be almost no blood loss. CON loss due to bleeding is denied up to 5 points, and the owner reganerates up to 5 HP per round if dealt by piercing and slashing weapons.

    There is a catch: the cuts are still there. If the scabbard is dropped, they all re open. The HP suffered up to that point return (as in, they are subtracted from the total remaining) at a rate of 5 per round. (too much book keeping?)

    ONWARDS!!! (heroically...)



    So to summarize:
    Legendary +5 Adamantine Axiomatic Bastard Sword of Wounding
    Charge to-hit bonus is +4
    If the owner does not take advantage of a situation, +5 to all saves
    Caledfwlch (The Immortal Blade) is a variation of Excalibur, Caledfwlch being one of its multiple names. However, the properties of Excalibur vary from myth to myth. I used the one where Excalibur makes its wielder ageless and much harder to kill.

    Excalibur itself is a tipsy subject. A lot of people have their own ideas for it, their own sources and their own favored myths, even their own favored Anime in which it includes Excalibur ( FOOL! ) so I avoided naming a weapon Excalibur. I did, however, use Clarent ( The Sword in the Stone, sometimes said to be the same blade) and Caledfwlch- Excalibur's Welsh version.

    Hm. it can be the The Knight's Blade. I guess naming it Excalibur is fine.

    My Homebrew

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somewhere Warm
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cipherthe3vil View Post
    I've glazed through the Twelve Swords of Power. I considered it. At the time I overlooked them. But since someone else has shown interest in them, I could stat them here now if you'd like.
    Oh, most of them duplicate effects of swords you've already listed.

    Farslayer is interesting. Throw it and you get a spinning, rainbow-trailing sword of death.

    I believe that may be the same sword as Dáinsleif, Dáinsleif can't be sheathed until it kills a man. I used the version in which Dáinsleif, rather then ignoring stone and metal, leaves wounds that can't be recovered from.
    Ah. Missed that one. Cool.
    On a quest to marry Asmodeus, lord of the Nine Hells, or die trying.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Various Places
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    Still haven't added the Dragonbone Sword to the table I see. I'm not really sure what name you want to give it, maybe Felzuthang? That was the name of the dragon that was killed to make the blade.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PirateGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Elemental Plane of Purple
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    Shouldn't Clarent be an intelligent sword? It sounds like it from the description of how it guides its owner. Also, Dáinsleif's+5 untyped bonus should be a circumstance bonus.

    Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2012-07-04 at 08:44 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Here and there.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    Still haven't added the Dragonbone Sword to the table I see. I'm not really sure what name you want to give it, maybe Felzuthang? That was the name of the dragon that was killed to make the blade.
    Yep, that works great!

    Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Shouldn't Clarent be an intelligent sword? It sounds like it from the description of how it guides its owner. Also, Dáinsleif's+5 untyped bonus should be a circumstance bonus.

    Debby
    No. Clarent is just fate-bound to lead its wielder to kingship.

    Yes, circumstance bonus it is *edits*.

    My Homebrew

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Various Places
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    Hey, I have another two swords for you:

    Ring-Pommel
    The Sword of Legends
    Damage: 1d8
    Weight: 5 Lbs
    Critical: 18-20 X2
    Description:
    Ring-Pommel is an utterly unremarkable sword. Its dull steel blade is plain, with only a single fuller, and its crosspiece is a simple iron bar. The pommel is the only feature even slightly unusual. It's a ring of iron, just barely big enough to fit your pinky through, with a red tassel hanging off the end.

    Ring-Pommel is the sword of legends, because it is the sword from which all other legendary swords take their design. It is so utterly unremarkable and forgettable that there are absolutely no legends surrounding it, the amazing deeds performed by weilders of this sword are attributed to other swords of legend, and this sword continues on its destiny of making the unremarkable into legendary heroes.

    Ring-Pommel is very unusual for a legendary sword because the DM should do everything possible to protect the secret of the blade and keep players in the dark about its true nature.

    When Detect Magic is used on the blade, it only reveals a +1 enhancement bonus, no matter how high the roll. Still, the DM should stress that the weilder has an understanding that Ring-Pommel is a sword of incredible power and should NOT be tossed away so easily.

    Ring-Pommel provides an untyped +5 bonus to all skill checks, attack and damage rolls, rolls to confirm critical hits and saves. The DM should do their best not to reveal this bonus to the weilder or the other players.

    If the weilder of Ring-Pommel makes an full attack against an opponent that has HP greater than the total damage of the attack (including Ring-Pommel's secret bonuses) but less than an extra attack would do, add another attack to the wielder's Full Attack Action. This extra attack does maximum damage, ensuring the death of the target.

    If the weilder of Ring-Pommel falls unconcious due to damage, they gain fast healing 5 until they return to 1/2 their total hit points, however they do not regain conciousness until they reach this HP total and the DM should do their best not to reveal the source of the healing.

    If the weilder of Ring-Pommel ever gets a critical failure, they can immediately reroll their failure and take the new result. However, if their second reroll is a 1 as well, Ring-Pommel vanishes from their hand immediately and can never be recovered.

    Lastly, if the weilder of Ring-Pommel ever engages in a fight with the weilder of another legendary sword, the moment their blades connect both swords are shattered and reform somewhere else 1d8+1 days later, however neither weilder will ever see the blades again.
    Ring-Pommel is considered a +6 Sword.


    Thuan Thien
    The Sealed Sword
    Damage: 1d8 Bludgeoning (sealed), 5d8 Slashing (unsealed)
    Weight: 30 lbs. (sealed), 10 lbs. (unsealed)
    Critical: 20 X4
    Description:
    Thuan Thien is a greatsword whose blade is wrapped in a heavy adamantine chain. Its crossguard is a simple steel bar but with a golden key lock in the center. The pommel of the sword is shaped like a key and looks as though it would fit in the lock in the crossguard.

    The lock in the center of Thuan Thien's crossguard resists all magical and mundane attempts to pick it. Spells automatically fail and lockpicks or weapons that try to break open the lock shatter immediately. The only way to unlock the sword is to use the key in its pommel.

    As a standard action, the weilder can remove the pommel of Thuan Thien and insert the key into the hilt, turn the key and unseal the sword. Unsealing the sword has several effects.

    First, Thuan Thien sheds bright light out to 30 ft, and dim light out to 60 ft. beyond that (for a total of 90 ft.). Creatures caught in the bright light (other than the wielder) must make a fortitude save against DC 25 or be blinded for 2 rounds.

    Second, unsealing Thuan Thien places the weilder under the effect of an Enlarge Person spell for the duration of the unsealing. This is considered an extraordiary effect.

    Third, in its unsealed state Thuan Thien provides a +10 untyped bonus to each of the wielder's physical stat modifiers for a number of rounds equal to the wielder's original constitution modifier. After the rounds are up, Thuan Thien returns to its sealed state and the wielder takes damage to each physical stat equal to the number of rounds that Thuan Thien was unsealed. This damage cannot be restored by any spells or potions, it must be healed naturally. If a wielder dies due to ability score damage like this, their body crumbles to dust and no spell save Wish or Miracle can restore them to life.
    Thuan Thien is considered a +6 Greatsword.

    How are those for super powerful swords?

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Here and there.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    Thuan Thien is great. Ring-Pommel isn't, it treads on the others too much and some of its effect is already cloned. Thuan Thien however is great and its effect hasn't been touched on at all by any of the other blades.
    I did rename it Bound Blade instead of Sealed Sword, to keep in line with the others. ( Notice they all end in "blade" :3 )
    Thuan Thien is actually really interesting *nods*.

    I created four more swords of my own.
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2012-07-05 at 12:46 AM.

    My Homebrew

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Various Places
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cipherthe3vil View Post
    Thuan Thien is great. Ring-Pommel isn't, it treads on the others too much and some of its effect is already cloned. Thuan Thien however is great and its effect hasn't been touched on at all by any of the other blades.
    I did rename it Bound Blade instead of Sealed Sword, to keep in line with the others. ( Notice they all end in "blade" :3 )
    Thuan Thien is actually really interesting *nods*.

    I created four more swords of my own.
    I kinda like Thuan Thien a little more too. It's got a very nice trade off on its abilities.

    When I wrote up Ring-Pommel, I wanted a sword that nobody knew what it was or why it was important. I'll probably work it into my campaign next time I DM something.

    Your Godsblades might be even stronger than the Legendary Swords. Which I didn't even realize was possible.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Darkest Part of your mind
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    Have something, slightly based off Brutal Legend.

    Mettalica
    Blazing Blade of Heavy Metal

    Many have forgooten the power of Ormagöden, the great metal fire beast. Durning the Age of metal, when the metal titans walked the world, the found a peice of Ormagödens still burning mettalic body, still echoing with his mighty death scream. And so they forged it into the only weapon worthy of the great Eternal Firebeast, Cremator of the Sky and Destroyer of the Ancient World. They made a heavy metal guitar-axe.

    And so Mettalica was born! It's casing forged from his body, it's strings from his guts, it's pick from his bones. And then, the Titan who forged it played the first note.

    He couldn't stop playing, the sonic overload began. The Blade roared out the glory of metal, and fuelded the ascensionof the Titans to Metal Gods. But they left Mettalica behind, so others would know the Glory of metal.

    Mettalica is treated as a Electric guitar with a infinte power source and a +5 Greataxe that deals 2d10 damage and weighs 5 lbs. In anyones hands, Mettalica can channel a fragment of Ormagödens power. As a standard action, they may use a Greater Shout spell that does 2d6 sonic damge per HD.

    In the hands of a bard however.... Mettalica can unleash it's full power! All bards gain a +20 insight bonus to preform(Guitar) Checks. However, as the bard becomes more skilled, they can unleash even greater powers.

    9 Ranks; As they play, they give all allies the beifit of a haste spell. In addtion, they're weapons do a extra 1d6 fire and 1d6 sonic damage per 2 HD.

    15 Ranks; The power of metal ensures allies never die. They gain the benfit of a Ironskin and Cure critical wounds spell every round the Bard plays.

    18 Ranks; The Voice of Ormagöden speaks!! All foes in 120ft must make a will save or be shaken for as long as the bard plays (Proform check for DC)

    23 Ranks; The Fire beast Roars!! A Fire shield that deals 1d10 fire per 3 HD covers the bard and all their allies for as long as the bard plays. Foes that strike the Bard also take 5d10 Sonic damage as the Fire beast roars his disapproval.
    Power restored for christmass. I'm back!

    Spoiler
    Show
    dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx][/url]


  15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Zarthrax's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Elizabethtown, Kentucky

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    I like all of these, but can't help thinking that giving them the Weapons of Legacy treatment would be awesome!
    Avatar by niezck1! Thanks!

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Here and there.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    Added Amfrost, Gynterphell, and Hypherious. Edited Colada. Moved Godblades to second post, added four "legendary" firearms to second post.

    Changed many given benefits or boosts into "Legend" boosts, instead of luck/sacred/enhancement/ect.
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2013-01-02 at 10:53 AM.

    My Homebrew

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Banned
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    How often can the Genesis Blade be used to create matter?

    Just creating 20 square foot of platinum a round/turn seems like an inordinately broken game.

    I like the idea of waving a sword and a chunk of superdense rock lands on the enemy though. However it is far too easy to break the game. Hell, create 200 Square foot of adamantine metal a minute just to sheate your fortress walls in.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Here and there.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    How often can the Genesis Blade be used to create matter?

    Just creating 20 square foot of platinum a round/turn seems like an inordinately broken game.

    I like the idea of waving a sword and a chunk of superdense rock lands on the enemy though. However it is far too easy to break the game. Hell, create 200 Square foot of adamantine metal a minute just to sheate your fortress walls in.
    Measured in rounds.
    Yep.
    Mhm.

    My Homebrew

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    So does death ward protect against Durandal now? Seems odd that it could kill a goddess when a single spell would render it moot.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Milo v3's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbownaga View Post
    So does death ward protect against Durandal now? Seems odd that it could kill a goddess when a single spell would render it moot.
    It bypasses immunities, so Deathward wouldn't work. Being undead or having the Tomb Tainted Soul is the only protection.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Here and there.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    It bypasses immunities, so Deathward wouldn't work. Being undead or having the Tomb Tainted Soul is the only protection.

    ^-

    That would be odd.

    My Homebrew

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    To address balance, just give some to the enemies!

    I absolutely love weapon quests for D&D. The best game I ever ran I made 50 unique weapons (not all swords, which is important) like this, put them on playing cards, gave each person a starting item to determine their role in the plot, and wove everything else around that.

    Balance wasn't a big issue, but I added a trait to intelligent items that sometimes they don't get along and may even refuse to function if you carry items with opposing ideals.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Here and there.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Longstrider View Post
    To address balance, just give some to the enemies!

    I absolutely love weapon quests for D&D. The best game I ever ran I made 50 unique weapons (not all swords, which is important) like this, put them on playing cards, gave each person a starting item to determine their role in the plot, and wove everything else around that.

    Balance wasn't a big issue, but I added a trait to intelligent items that sometimes they don't get along and may even refuse to function if you carry items with opposing ideals.


    I like your style. I've been saying that for years!

    My Homebrew

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PirateGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Elemental Plane of Purple
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    I'm going through the Legendary Swords a bit more carefully now. It could use some serious editing and proofreading (you keep switching from singular to plural in the same sentence, which sometimes makes it hard to follow).

    What exactly is a Legend bonus? You never mention it.

    How much is Colada's legend bonus? That information seems to be missing.

    Magic weapons are normally limited to +5 enhancement bonuses. If you are using Epic Weapon rules, you should state that. Since only a few of these weapons were noted as having a +6 bonus (as only epic weapons can have), I am going to assume these should have a +5 bonus instead. To make up for the enhancement loss, these weapons should have other weapon special abilities. I'm proposing a few change to the weapons' enhancements. These are mostly from the Magic Item Compendium.

    Amenonuhoko should a +5 weapon since it cannot have a +6 enhancement. I'm not sure which magic weapon enhancement would be best to make up for that loss.

    It looks like Dáinsleif should be a +5 ghost touched bastard sword and Clarent should be a +5 flaming greatsword.

    You say Dáinsleif provides a +5 legend bonus but you didn't say to what. It looks like an AC bonus but I wanted to be sure.

    Durendal should be treated as a +5 enervating bastard sword.(See MIC)

    There is a problem with Dyrnwyn: Undead are immune to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless). Maybe make it a Reflex save to avoid being wreathed in flames.
    It should be a +5 flaming ghost touch longsword.

    When you say Excalibur's owner regenerates up to 5 hit points per round, do you mean he regenerates 1d4+1 hit points per round? Or do you mean Excalibur's owner regenerates 5 hit points per round up to his maximum number of hit points and any excess hit points are lost?

    Felzuthang also has a bit of an issue.
    The Dragonbone Sword can only be held or wielded by its owner, the one responsible for slaying the dragon whose shattered bones formed the blade.
    I guess that the wielder will never be a PC and will always be the NPC who created the sword. Oh wait, you contradict yourself here:
    The only way to take possession of The Dragonbone Sword is to slay the current owner of the blade.
    I think you need to pick one version or the other.

    I'd say: "The Dragonbone Sword can only be held or wielded by its owner, the one responsible for slaying the dragon whose shattered bones formed the blade, or by one who slays the current owner of the sword." Of course, this could be entertaining if the original owner comes back from the dead....

    Fragarch should be +5 paralyzing longsword (see MIC) .

    Gram should treated as a +5 dragon bane longsword.

    Hypherious should be considered a +4 vampiric weapon. (See MIC)

    Kusanagi should be considered a +5 auran short sword. (See MIC)

    Moriarch should be considered a +5 ghoststrike bastard sword (See MIC)

    Ragnarok should also be a +5 flaming greatsword (to match Clarent)

    Thuan Thien should be considered a +5 everbright greatsword. (See MIC)

    Tonbogiri should be considered as a +5 construct bane bastard sword.

    Zuulundr should be considered a +5 longsword. You might want to add an addiitonal weapon property to it though I'm at a loss as to what would be appropriate.

    Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2013-01-04 at 10:23 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Darkest Part of your mind
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    So, any chance of Mettalica (Blatant Brutal Legends ripoff) getting in? Been playing KOA lately, so will be coming up with something stolen from there.
    Power restored for christmass. I'm back!

    Spoiler
    Show
    dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx][/url]


  26. - Top - End - #56
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Here and there.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    What exactly is a Legend bonus? You never mention it.
    It's a bonus, with a different name pertaining to the nature of the Legendary Swords/Arms.

    How much is Colada's legend bonus? That information seems to be missing.
    Must have slipped my mind. Midway through that is when I decided to change all the bonuses from the weapons to "legend" bonuses.
    Magic weapons are normally limited to +5 enhancement bonuses. If you are using Epic Weapon rules, you should state that. Since only a few of these weapons were noted as having a +6 bonus (as only epic weapons can have), I am going to assume these should have a +5 bonus instead. To make up for the enhancement loss, these weapons should have other weapon special abilities. I'm proposing a few change to the weapons' enhancements. These are mostly from the Magic Item Compendium.
    Legendary Swords aren't expected to touch on Epic rules at least now and then?

    Amenonuhoko should a +5 weapon since it cannot have a +6 enhancement. I'm not sure which magic weapon enhancement would be best to make up for that loss.
    It uses genesis, completely free, once a month and create something (nearly anything within reason, including gold, silver, copper, or even platinum) from nothing as a standard action. It'd be silly if it wasn't epic.


    So, you're propsing lessened enhancements for adding additional minor/normal traits to the weapons?
    *Shrug*

    It looks like Dáinsleif should be a +5 ghost touched bastard sword and Clarent should be a +5 flaming greatsword.

    You say Dáinsleif provides a +5 legend bonus but you didn't say to what. It looks like an AC bonus but I wanted to be sure.
    It's to the attack..
    Durendal should be treated as a +5 enervating bastard sword.(See MIC)

    There is a problem with Dyrnwyn: Undead are immune to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless). Maybe make it a Reflex save to avoid being wreathed in flames.
    It should be a +5 flaming ghost touch longsword.
    Mhm. I should have stated, thought I did, that undead are not immune to the attack. They'd only get their base score, if any, and add turn resistance to it, as well as any other bonuses not ability.
    That was the idea, in any case. Reflex is hardly fitting, as it's an attack roll. "I reflex away to dodge your sword after it hits me!" Lol~
    It could potentially be will. But targeting fortitude was intentional, though as written it's useless.

    When you say Excalibur's owner regenerates up to 5 hit points per round, do you mean he regenerates 1d4+1 hit points per round? Or do you mean Excalibur's owner regenerates 5 hit points per round up to his maximum number of hit points and any excess hit points are lost?
    That one.

    Felzuthang also has a bit of an issue. I guess that the wielder will never be a PC and will always be the NPC who created the sword. Oh wait, you contradict yourself here: I think you need to pick one version or the other.

    I'd say: "The Dragonbone Sword can only be held or wielded by its owner, the one responsible for slaying the dragon whose shattered bones formed the blade, or by one who slays the current owner of the sword." Of course, this could be entertaining if the original owner comes back from the dead....
    Didn't really see why it's contradicting, though perhaps it could be edited..
    Fragarch should be +5 paralyzing longsword (see MIC) .

    Gram should treated as a +5 dragon bane longsword.

    Hypherious should be considered a +4 vampiric weapon. (See MIC)

    Kusanagi should be considered a +5 auran short sword. (See MIC)

    Moriarch should be considered a +5 ghoststrike bastard sword (See MIC)

    Ragnarok should also be a +5 flaming greatsword (to match Clarent)

    Thuan Thien should be considered a +5 everbright greatsword. (See MIC)

    Tonbogiri should be considered as a +5 construct bane bastard sword.

    Zuulundr should be considered a +5 longsword. You might want to add an addiitonal weapon property to it though I'm at a loss as to what would be appropriate.

    Debby
    I 'spose I'll get around to editing stuffs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimsage Matt View Post
    So, any chance of Mettalica (Blatant Brutal Legends ripoff) getting in? Been playing KOA lately, so will be coming up with something stolen from there.
    The problem was it wasn't a legendary sword. But now that there are legendary arms as well I was intending to add it there sooner or later.

    My Homebrew

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Dante & Vergil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    Don't reduce the items from where they are for balance reasons, because, as it seems, they look and feel like artifacts and they should be treated as such, and getting epic bonuses falls in that area. Just thought you should know.

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PirateGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Elemental Plane of Purple
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    It's not that I have a problem with Legendary Swords being epic, but it doesn't seem fair if some are epic and some aren't epic. The creation rules are different for epic weapons and the costs can be tremendous. The difference between a +5 and +6 bonus is 670,000 gp. It's a huge jump in cost. A +5 bonus costs +50,000 gp and a +6 bonus is +720,000 gp.

    The legendary swords don't have the world changing abilities that the elemental godsblades have. I would have thought the godsblades would be epic.

    You should note that Fullblades come from the Arms & Equipment Guide. They are too large for a Medium sized to use with two hand without the Exotic Weapons Proficiency and cannot be wielded one-handed at all. Large creatures can wield a fullblade one-handed as Martial weapon. They normally weigh 23 lbs and do 2d8 points of damage with a critical range of 19-20/x2. You might want to revising the godsblades to reflect this. After all, it is not the amount of damage they cause when they hit a foe that makes them impressive.

    Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2013-01-04 at 04:00 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Here and there.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    It's not that I have a problem with Legendary Swords being epic, but it doesn't seem fair if some are epic and some aren't epic. The creation rules are different for epic weapons and the costs can be tremendous. The difference between a +5 and +6 bonus is 670,000 gp. It's a huge jump in cost. A +5 bonus costs +50,000 gp and a +6 bonus is +720,000 gp.

    The legendary swords don't have the world changing abilities that the elemental godsblades have. I would have thought the godsblades would be epic.

    You should note that Fullblades come from the Arms & Equipment Guide. They are too large for a Medium sized to use with two hand without the Exotic Weapons Proficiency and cannot be wielded one-handed at all. Large creatures can wield one as Martial weapon. They normally weigh 23 lbs and do 2d8 points of damage with a critical range of 19-20. You might want to revising the godsblades to reflect this.

    Debby

    Because they're all legendary swords, not necessarily epic weapons. Some are even perhaps totally usable for around a 6th level character in my opinion. Meanwhile some are clearly overpowered for low level characters.
    I tried to have them all be Legendary, but still have variation in power and use.

    My Homebrew

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PirateGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Elemental Plane of Purple
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Legendary Swords (Weapons...)

    I think you succeeded handsomely with making the legendary swords varied. It's just that giving a item worth the value of an epic weapon to a character less than epic can screw up the economics of a game. The difference between a +3 sword (+18,0000 gp) and a +5 sword (+50,000 gp) is not as game breaking as going from +50,000 to +720,000 gp. That's the problem.

    I think my players would complain bitterly if one of them got an item worth that much more than the others got. I can't say that I'd blame them. I don't think everyone needs to have the exact same value of items but a difference of over 600,000 gp is too much.

    On the other hand, I think the godsblades should have no less than +6 enhancement bonuses.

    Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •