New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: IC Toes in the Water

At this point Natalia knows Shiny well enough not to say things like, "What dragon?" but doesn't have enough confidence to reliably offer details--she's not good at this like Shiny is. She does, however, crack a grin.

2. - Top - End - #182

But then again, Natalia does fully expect Shiny to whip around and ask them to corroborate his story. "Dragon details?" she whispers to her friends, hoping that they can come up with some consistent details should Shiny call on them.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny takes a long sip from his tankard- the tavern is hanging on his next words but he doesn't seem to notice. He puts the drink back on the table and slides off the seat. He moves with confidence but he just barely favors his right leg.

"It was in the city of Vern that I met two of my companions here- Kurt, a barbarian whose rage proved too fearsome even for his own clan, and Miriam, a powerful servant of the god of justice and retribution. A gang of bandits was attacking the royal family when we intervened- my allies' weapons and my enchantments made short work of the bandits. You may have heard of this battle- it was but six weeks ago."

The three of us accepted a quest from the king- a mission whose details I am not at liberty to divulge, for our enemies have ears everywhere." He takes a suspicious look around the tavern, and half of the patrons look over their shoulders almost involuntarily. "We had to journey to a dungeon twenty miles outside the city- where we would face a mysterious enemy of immense and ancient power."

Shiny takes a breath. "We were but a few miles from the city when we came across the orc raiding band. They counted twenty strong- I've never faced a hundred orcs, but then again neither have you! He points an accusing finger at Boris. "A hundred orcs... Every orc hunter alive knows that an orc hunting party never includes more than twenty five rangers, lest the noise of their movement alert the quarry!" Shiny has not the first idea how many orcs are in an orc hunting party- 25 is just the size of a team in Gnomish Pebble-Whack. But still a murmur of agreement moves through the tavern, for Shiny speaks with such confidence and authority that anyone would feel like a fool to contradict him- even an orc chieftain would simply nod and raise his glass.

Shiny starts pacing again, the braggart no longer worthy of his attention. "We were greatly outnumbered, but the orcs blocked the only passageway to the dungeon. We were developing a plan when two patrolling orc guards were, to our astonishment, snatched into the air by an invisible force! I later learned these orcs had been caught by a set of ingenious snares, leaving them dangling harmlessly in the trees. In the same moment, a crossbow bolt flew into the neck of a third guard, and, most impressively, a ball of flame engulfed the orcs' main tent! Seeing our opportunity, the dwarf and the cleric charged forward and battled half the remaining soldiers, while I cast an enchantment that caused the others to fall asleep in their tracks. And that was how we met Natalia, the cunning crafter of traps, and Mithril, the dazzling master of the arcane arts.

Spoiler
    Show
    To be concluded.

4. - Top - End - #184

Despite herself, despite knowing that wasn't how it happened at all, Natalia somehow finds herself leaning forward, trying to grasp every word uttered by Shiny, the master storyteller. And besides, Natalia, the cunning crafter of traps? Mithril, the dazzling master of the arcane arts? And Kurt was certainly terrifying in battle. "...I like it," she says.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-07-09 at 08:42 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mithril was impressed. It was all lies she knew but somehow she could see the story playing out in her head. Whiskers nuzzled up against her, as she leaned forward to hear how their story ended.

6. - Top - End - #186

Leaning close to Mithril, sharing knowing grins with her, Miriam, and Kurt as their fictional exploits are mentioned again and again, Natalia can't help but envy the Shiny, the gnome with a thousand and one personas.

7. - Top - End - #187

Simply put, the room was enthralled by the tale Shiny was weaving. Even Borris them Braggart had been caught in Shinys web.

Only one man in the common room seemed to take Shinys story with a heaping mound of salt. The aging fighter had fought orcs, and worse in his day. Now, he'd been reduced to cheap mercenary work to supply himself drink, room, and board, which was about all he was good for. Something he was painfully reminded of as he leaned to hard on his bum leg.

Anyone who notices him sees that he is taking in both stories with a calm mask of uttter grim experience.

Spoiler
    Show

This is one of th men gathered round that I pointed out earlier.

8. - Top - End - #188

An odd patch of silence, of a different feel than the enthralled hush everywhere else in the room, catches Natalia's attention. In the corner the older man she saw before is staring at Shiny, and she's not sure she likes the stare. The older man doesn't seem hostile, but he's certainly not friendly either. Nervously, Nuts runs her hand over the copper wire bracelet.

9. - Top - End - #189

Mithril eyed the man nervously. Maybe Shiny was going to far with his story. She leaned over to Natalia, "I may need to borrow your bracelet. I will give it right back I promise."

10. - Top - End - #190

"For what?" Natalia asks, though she trusts and likes Mithril enough that she's already pulling it off her wrist.

11. - Top - End - #191

"A short message, that's all." She held her hand out underneath the table.

12. - Top - End - #192

"Magic? Okay," Natalia says, carefully placing her wire into Mithril's hands. Her fingers are much shorter than Natalia's.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-07-09 at 11:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny's eyes turn dark. "We found and breached the dungeon, a mysterious crypt by the name of the Shrine of Aquatos. The dungeon sprawled underground and was laden with traps, most of which threatened a horrifying death by drowning. The temple itself was a sort of enormous trap- we could proceed through it only by changing the water levels, our careful calculation all that stood between us and a watery doom."

"What is there to say of the Shrine's contraptions and machinations, of the nightmares that it promised in every wheel and cog? We would not have survived a day without Natalia's mechanical genius; for she recognized every trap, however intricate, before it had the chance to spring. Well... almost every trap, for even the most genius of rogues can miss something..."

Shiny bows his head suddenly, his face turned from the rest of the tavern. The party can see him make a few arcane gestures and speak a few words softly. Suddenly the tavern is filled with the subtle but chilling sound of rushing water. The sound gives the story a horrifying presence; only Mithril and Miriam recognize the illusion as a simple ghost sound spell.

"We still don't know what activated the mechanism, but sound of rushing water suddenly surrounded us, and the trap's design became clear- oh! the horror! In mere moments the small chamber was completely flooded with water. I had charmed a kobold guard to serve as a guide, but he apparently had no knowledge of this trap- he failed to warn us of any danger, and he was the first to drown. Natalia frantically worked at the only visible panel of gears, her fingers flying even in the dark water, but she found no escape. Kurt saved the wizard's life by breathing what little air he had saved into her lungs. But the chamber seemed certain to be our watery tomb, and we lost hope and began to black out..."

"All of us, that is, except the one party member I have yet to introduce. We heard the dull sound of a distant switch being thrown, and the water quickly receded, leaving us gasping for breath. From a tiny hole in the wall emerged our savior- a soaking wet weasel named Whiskers, the wizard's familiar. He had found his way into the adjacent room and discovered the mechanism for evacuating the water."
    Shiny gives the slightest bow back towards the table, in one brief gesture communicating his respect and gratitude for the familiar.

"The cleric healed the injuries that the water had bestowed upon us, and Natalia, with time on her side, coaxed the door's mechanism into granting us passage. But escaping that nightmare, we soon found ourselves faced with a fate that seemed almost as inescapable- for we had stumbled upon the black dragon's lair."

"Have you heard of such beasts? Of their skull-like faces, the rotten skin that hangs off on their cheekbones? Do you know that they can spit acid to a hundred paces, acid that can dissolve your flesh in a heartbeat? I daresay whatever you know cannot compare to the experience of seeing one yourself- watching it rise from the murky water, or arc towards you on leather wings. But we stood our ground, and the battle begun."

"My memories of that fight are but a blend- of fire and acid, arrow and blade. I know not how many times over I owe my life to Miriam's protective spells and healing, and I do not know precisely when Kurt charged into the fray, his eyes bulging with fury, screaming a war hymn that would wake the dead. I cannot comprehend the arcane powers that Mithril unleashed, a symphony of fire, lightning and ice. I lost count of how many enchantments failed me before one struck true, and gave Natalia the opening to fire a perfect, devastating shot into the beast's throat."

"I do remember the moment the beast clawed my eye out- for who can forget such a wound? I had crept under the dragon's feet, to kill it the way I had killed so many giants. My blade struck true, and unbalanced the beast just enough for the others to deal their killing blows, but not before it lashed out with its claw and found its mark. Once the beast was defeated, we healed the rest of our wounds, but the eye was lost permanently."
    For a moment Shiny looks scornfully at the braggart's right hip, where he claimed to have been injured by orcs.

Shiny's voice begins rising to a final crescendo. I cannot speak for the rest of my party, but the wisdom I gained that day was worth far more than what I lost. First, I learned the secret of the Vystera Jewels- though I am sworn to secrecy. Second, I learned that loyal friends are worth more than any skill in battle. You say you faced a hundred orcs- and let's pretend for a moment you speak truthfully- but you say nothing of the allies you fought with. Either you neglect to mention them and are a braggart, or you fought without any and you are a fool. Because," Shiny says as he sidles back to his table, "you can keep your stories of your dubious solo adventures. I'll drink with the table of heroes."

14. - Top - End - #194

As the thin gnome finished his enchanting tale, the bar erupted to cheers of enthusiasm drowning poor Borris the Braggart. The party is treated to many compliments, and someone mentions buying them a round.

One person yells, "Will you be saving Linwood?!"
    Another responds, "Of course they will!"
    A third, "How can orcs stop those who've slain dragons?!

The gruff aging man waks over, a visible limp slowing his strides. He looks as if he carries too many years, too many pounds, and too many bad memories. He flips a copper onto the table, "A copper for your story tale teller, all it's worth." as he makes his way to the back of the inn towards the individual rooms.
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-07-10 at 06:52 AM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt just shakes his head and laughs a bit. "I think I'll go to bed before we get asked too many questions..." Picking up his gear, he walks up to their room quietly and quickly, hoping everyone's too busy to notice him.

16. - Top - End - #196

Natalia follows, silent. She loved Shiny's story, loved her heroic deeds told there, but...they weren't true. In reality, she had missed the simplest of pit traps while lost in conversation, and Shiny was the one who had fallen into it. She passes by the old man, clearly ill at ease from Shiny's tale, and whispers an apology.

"...Sorry."
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-07-10 at 07:52 AM.

17. - Top - End - #197

Kurt and Natalia walk up the rickety stairs, as they climb they realize that the
    loft is open to the bar below...meaning that they'd have to sleep through the racket until the tavern emptied for the night. They also counts six straw mattresses, one of which was already occupied by a well muscled human who was cleaning a Greatsword and feeding bits of his left over meal to a long dirty gold colored lizard.

Natalia recognizes the man immediately...

Spoiler
    Show

Go bargain rooms.

18. - Top - End - #198

Natalia stops short on the banister; whoever was following her upstairs nearly bumps into her back. "...Valen? Here?"

19. - Top - End - #199

As the Dwarf and young woman climb the stairs Valen welcomes,"Evening....Little One!" as he recognizes Natalia.

Valen lays his sword down adjusting his mattress. To anyone to looks too closely, he sleeps with a dagger under his pillow. He feeds the last of his scraps to Zo'or.

Spoiler
    Show
    Zo'or in his lizard familiar.

20. - Top - End - #200

"Late too, for reservations?" At Kurt's look of confusion, Natalia says. "Valen. Mithril and I met him in the magic shop. Smarter than he looks. You'd get along well."

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

A moment of confusion before he grins and laughs. "I won't take offence to it Natalia, thankfully! Hello to you, Valen."

22. - Top - End - #202

Mithril grabbed her pack and picked up Whiskers, before following Kurt and Natalia up the stairs. As she entered the room she startled, "But...you...here?" Natalia must be wearing off on her, normally she could finish a sentence. Seeing Natalia she passed her back her bracelet "Thank you, I didn't end up needing it." Looking back at Valen she asked "Is the lizard yours? Does it eat meat?" She held Whiskers close to her waiting for his answer.

23. - Top - End - #203

Valen, with a large smile on his face, " Well met, you must be the dwarves berserk of legend?"

Looking to Mithril, "Only when he is hungry, no worries, he's never killed anything that he didn't aim to eat or that meant to eat him. Valen proceeds to stroke the back of the large lizard which looks like a miniature dragon with golden dark gold scales and small no functioning wings.

24. - Top - End - #204

Mithril hugged Whiskers closer and put her things on a pallet far away from the lizard. Valen may have said no worries, but Whiskers did look like food to some creatures and she wanted him to stay safe.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny spends some time socializing with the patrons, and happily accepts the drinks that come his way. He also pays close attention to any useful information about Linwood that he can gather.

However, the identity of Shiny Giantslayer, warrior and cartographer, is starting to wear on him. Of all the masks Shiny wears, the most tiring is wisdom, since it is entirely an act- a pale imitation of the truly wise people he's known. The cadences and mannerisms are easy to imitate, but they are too shallow to stand up to scrutiny. Thus, before long, Shiny bids a gruff farewell to his new acquaintances and trods up the stairs to meet up with the party.

26. - Top - End - #206

Miriam

Miriam follows everyone up.m it was feeling late and she felt the need to stay near Shiny, lest his tongue cause him trouble. She was glad when he showed signs of tiring, following him up the stairs she addresses the group before even reaching the top, "We should get to sleep early if we wish to catch the boat early enough."

Spoiler
    Show
    Shiny and Miriam both have heard even more about Linwood. It's a town of roughly a 800 people, it's currently under the domains of Hulburg, but I'd they can't fend off the orcs, the may be forced to request aid and protection from Glister which would move more power into the hands of Glister. Since there are kingdoms in the area, towns affiliate and become vassals to larger cities to stabilize the area. Glister is currently more powerful than Hulburg and some wish to see the whole area fall under its rule.

Melvaunt and Thentia are locked in their own struggle along the coast. They are both an order of magnitude larger than Glister and Hulburg and cannot be bothered to consolidate their power as far into the wilderness. Though, they both benefit fom trade with all the cities and towns in the area.
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-07-10 at 07:39 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207

"Thanks," says Natalia as she puts the bracelet back on her arm. Leaning back against the wall, she listens to Shiny and Miriam explain the situation in Linwood more. At some point, Natalia turns to Valen and asks, "Why...are you here?"

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Upon seeing the new face, Shiny cracks a grin and trots over. "I don't think we've been introduced! I'm Shiny Swiftrider, bloodhound jockey and beer taster."

29. - Top - End - #209

Okay, there is absolutely no way that one can be taken seriously. Her mouth drops open for a second before closing; Natalia nervously looks to Valen, unsure of what his reaction would be. If he was here the entire time, then he definitely heard all of Shiny's story. And he probably was here for several hours; she or Mithril would have spotted him in the bar...

30. - Top - End - #210

Upon being addressed by the small gnome, Valen looks crossly at the gnome,"Shiny Taleteller... You tell exciting tales..."

Looking at Natalia, "I was planning on sleeping and eating a warm meal Little One. I will not be in the area long. What are you doing here Little One?"
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-07-10 at 09:51 PM.