Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default The Most Absurd Campaign I have Ever Played

This is a 26th epic level godly campaign I'm currently in the process of finishing. That is, we're fighting the final boss, the mother of all eldritch abominations, killer of an entire pantheon of gods, the being of ultimate evil, Ffiaidd'marwoaith (easier to pronounce than it looks. I dunno, it's our DM's creation).

I'm writing this here for you to read about the sheer stupid geekiness of this. If that's not your thing, I'd suggest skipping this.

Throughout this campaign, we've repeatedly one-upped each other through exponentially more over-powered abilities, courtesy of our permissive DM. One of the tamest abilities we've had is one that dumped 1000 damage and a prismatic wall effect instantaneously over a 30 foot radius as a standard extraordinary action. That was several months ago, and our characters have gained 7 levels and 8 divine ranks since.

Currently, in terms of party members, we have a Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker pirate Tarrasque who happens to dual wield. He has a tendency to summon pirate ships that fire colossal size cannons. He crits on every attack due to an ability he took and has 16 attacks per full attack action, of which he has 8. That's our main DPS. His name is Doc.

Our tank happens to be a Warshaper/War Hulk/Fighter who is yet another Tarrasque who is Colossal++++ in terms of size. He wields the Megaton hammer, a hammer that literally weighs 1,000,000 tons and deals 1,000,000d6 damage per hit and has a disintegrate effect. His armor is the skin of a Godslayer, which gives him a free True Resurrection per month. He usually ends up needing about two or three a session, taking millions of points of damage from single blows. He's a very good tank. His name is Solicon.

-Continued-

2. - Top - End - #2

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: The Most Absurd Campaign I have Ever Played

My character is a Sorcerer/Incantatrix/Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil/Incantatrix (from a different sourcebook!). He also is both a Mist Creature from a mishap involving mind control and a gaseous form spell gone wrong (don't ask), and a Non-being, infused with Far Realm energies who is immune to all mortal magic. He's capable of casting 6 spells in a round, courtesy of 3.0 Haste + Arcane Spellsurge + Doublethink (from a 3rd party sourcebook). All spells he casts are automatically empowered and maximized. He tends to cast Time stop for all of his spells, and drop large numbers of DOT spells, including the infamous streamers. He has Divine Spellcasting, allowing him to cast 92nd level spells. He's also very sexy. His name is Gruta.

Quite possibly the most power-gamed of us, a Rogue/Cleric/Paladin/Fighter/Chameleon/Dweomerkeeper/Archmage sword. He doesn't (or at least didn't) deal a whole lot of damage, but he more than makes up for this by with his buffing capability. Over the course of the previous 4 or so sessions, he's buffed all of our stats by 140. He has, at all times, 26 contingencies on the entire party for the many different effects that could pierce our defenses. Because he's support, and really doesn't steal the spotlight from the rest of us, we love him for this. Also famous for making living spheres of ultimate destruction and summoning things like Bahamut. His name is Solace.

And last but not least, we have a Favored Soul/Knight of the Raven (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft) as our "official" party leader. I'm not certain as to his mechanics, but he tends to annihilate entire masses of enemies in single rounds. Oftentimes entire combats will begin and end at his turn. His name is Palin.

Now that I've described the basics of our party here, onto the ongoing final battle.

-Continued-

3. - Top - End - #3

RedWizardGuy

The final encounter beings, and after a lengthy 3 or 4 paragraph description, we begin combat. Solicon the Tank (Also a Temporal Drake Tarrasque by this point) rolls the highest initiative at 131. He holds his action for Solace, the 7 classed guy to take a standard action. Solace Intensifies his Time Stop and casts a heightened and widened Gate to 66th level 30 times, causing 30 Suns to appear. He then casts a specially designed epic spell to detonate these suns, causing them to go Supernova on our Big Bad. Unfortunately for us, our baddie only takes 1/26th of the damage from this attack, on top of having a 96% dodge. After calculating the reduced damage for this attack (about 1.1%^-4), the total came to only... 300 trillion damage. The damage was roughly 400d6 quadrillion before this reduction.

Our DM looked a bit shaken by this number. After pausing to take in the figure, he announced that this abomination was going into his second form. This constituted an attack in the form of death theroes, dealing 200 trillion to our tank. This prompted a riposte from said tank, who happened to be fusioned with the rest of the party.

Said party, including an epic simulacrum spell from my sorcerer, Gruta, who had 7 exact duplicates along with him, began their combined Riposte. Our DPS, Doc the Pirate Tarrasque, decided to summon a ship with his pirate crew on it to drop on the boss. Said pirate crew immediately perished due to being roughly level 12. He then fired the colossal sized cannons, each filled with him through extremely cheesy use of Alter Reality, cleaving through the boss roughly 8 full attacks (charges) in a row.

A person playing a substitute NPC named Simone grew a lightbulb, and furiously worked on a psionic Time Stop + Greater Celerity combo to give several thousand actions to everyone in the party. I then pointed out that there were effectively 8 of me, willing to contribute to this absurd spell combo. The DM decided to reduce the insanity of this by merely giving us 12 extra standard actions (yes, that is the compromise he had!) permanently. The excessive use of Greater Celerity caused said caster to go comatose for 3 days.

My sorcerer and his clones ended up dropping 56 uses of his ultimate ability on the final boss, dealing about 6 million damage, not even coming close to the absurd damage dealt before, and burning through 4 charges on a battle belt to do so. Solicon held action, while Solace summoned 20,000 of animated small objects hit with bite of the were-golem. This made all of them 21 HD Zelekhuts (Inevitables). He then proceeded to fusion these creatures with our party. He then made us an apocalypse swarm, so we would make multiples of ourselves whenever we took damage.

It was then Solace's move action.

-Continued-

4. - Top - End - #4

RedWizardGuy

The rest of this is a bit difficult for me to remember, so I'll let our DM describe it for me.

Now keep in mind the party has become a colossal+10 apocalypse
    swarm, with all of the party members combined into a single creature (via fusion) possessed of the best attributes of each character. The swarm's "attack" as is were is simply the collected actions of its constituents. Since the swarm has the best possible initiative of the player's within, all the players act simultaneously at the same initiative of 131.

The tank, utilizing his new-found action cheese (+12 standard actions per round) throws his triple-throw hammer (which weighs one million tons and deals one million d6 damage) something like 48 times. Because the "Big Bad" had absurd dodge and took only 1/26th of all damage the series of throws was met with limited success, only a few throws hit home dealing a only couple hundred thousand damage.

The dps, Doc, challenged the boss to a cannon joust, which he accepted. Because of the nature of the challenge (namely that the two cannon pounces needed to resolve simultaneously) Doc held his action until he could charge on the Big Bad's turn.

Gruta, the existentially challenged sorcerer, used his additional actions (and simulacrums) to perform a unique epic ability 56 times, dealing crazy damage, with each effect potentially erasing the boss from the space time continuum. Naturally the evil god/eldritch jerk resisted the non-exist effect but took the damage.

Sullus, the angry epic spellslinger, used yet another epic spell slot to make a happy little living spell from a previous feat of epic spellcasting. That's right, he used an Custom Origin of Species to make a Living SUPERNOVA. He also built more allies to buff the Player Swarm with more hit dice, and fissioned the living spell.

The less-than-emphasized other character snored from her coma.

Doc and the Big Bad launched out of cannons at eachother in super-powered aerial charges (which, due to their respective pounce or pounce-like abilities,were mechanically full attacks with damage multipliers)

The Big Bad, who had an essentially unlimited supply of tendrils, hit Doc 100 times, each with a series of attached special abilities. The result was blood and black flame spurting from the Stalwart Pirate's pores, crippling agony, a potential alignment change, and Death. Since the group was a single creature these afflictions affected everyone. The party got ate, the high risk gambit (becoming a swarm, that is) back fired.

As it turns out, the party had been gifted with one automatically successful save by some aboleths they saved some time past, which triggered. The party had a chance to retain their will to fight, and enter the consciousness of Ffiaidd'Marwolaith to fight him from within. Though their souls had been effectively harvested, they reformed inside to fight on... so begins round 2.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

honestly, post-epic divine powered games get absurd. I'm more impressed with what people can pull off pre-epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by planswalker View Post
    honestly, post-epic divine powered games get absurd. I'm more impressed with what people can pull off pre-epic.
    The Tales of Wyre are pretty sane. The characters are very powerful, true, and death is only a temporary obstacle, but their enemies just as powerful, but there's nothing this absurd.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Wyre is a fabulous creation, Sepulchrave is an extraordinary DM and his players are nothing to sneeze at. They've developed a game which revolves as much around narrative and test as cheese of the rules. And even Sep and Cheiro eventually balked at making epic make any sense at all.

Myself, I'm impressed. I've only ever been able to get up to 64th level spells. Anything more intense and... Well, that game has already started to lose meanining. There is only so much one can do before the numbers stop really mattering. The OP's game could be played just a easily at around fifth level. The challenge at this point is to be as ludicrous as possible without being utterly unstoppable; a feat they seem to have accomplished. So Kudos!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't even...

It's great that it was fun, and I have nothing but respect for anyone who can make exponentially epic games work, but it's just too absurd for me. I really think, were a game like this to be proposed to me, my first question would be "why not just play Exalted?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    I don't even...

It's great that it was fun, and I have nothing but respect for anyone who can make exponentially epic games work, but it's just too absurd for me. I really think, were a game like this to be proposed to me, my first question would be "why not just play Exalted?"
    Because even the Exalted cannot create fights this stupidly-awesome.

Also, only ONE pantheon? Pfft. Amateur.
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2012-07-09 at 07:24 AM.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Edena?

Seriously though... If you had fun that's all that matters.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

So... Are we gonna get Round two? Or has that session not happened yet?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I am in awe--not of how powerful the characters are, because you can make characters as powerful as you want--but of how it can still apparently be a really enjoyable game at hyper-epic levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #13

RedWizardGuy

Round two has yet to happen, however, a second fight with many duplicates of the party (and Palin, the other guy mentioned above) just happened tonight. Details forthcoming (after sleep).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shatterspike1 View Post
    This is a 26th epic level godly campaign I'm currently in the process of finishing. That is, we're fighting the final boss,
    You could always continue the campaign. Enjoy the Multidimensional Lair of Tucker's Ancient Dragon Gods.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

It wouldn't be more stupidilious if there were a Chuck Norris ninja and a Goku Batman

I mean, nothing can beat a pirate Tarrasque

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean, nothing can beat a pirate Tarrasque
    A pirate goku Incredible Hulk Tarrasque could beat him. I mean, if Bruce Banner attempted to recreate his original genetics and Goku showed up riding the Tarrasque and their DNA all mixed together. HA!
    Avatar by the awesome smuchsmuch.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

MAN that is so cool

Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A:

Neutral Good Human Fighter/Ranger (1st/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 19
    Dexterity- 16
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 13
    Charisma- 18

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

we have a Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker pirate Tarrasque who happens to dual wield. He has a tendency to summon pirate ships that fire colossal size cannons. He crits on every attack due to an ability he took and has 16 attacks per full attack action, of which he has 8. That's our main DPS. His name is Doc.
    May I signature-quote this? XD

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Most of the most absurd games I have ever played in were first level as I didn't stick around long.

One game no matter who you were, what you were, or had, the guards (or bandits) could knock you out and tie you up without you being able to stop them. Rogue with escape artist? Forget it? Wizard? Not a chance.... A healthy case of being railroaded around: yes.
    Then the infamous ship journey. There we are out in the middle of the ocean; just us party members and a couple dozen crew members. A storm came up and of course we sank. Fortunately there was an island nearby that was not on the charts and we, the party, were able to get to the island. Even the tank in his plate armor, halberd, morning star, and other items in his arsenal. The lightly clad sailors? They all drowned... Nothing from the ship washed up.. just us.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I'm really curious about round 2 as well. Props to your DM for not going insane.

Might I ask for some more details on mechanics and character specifics? Such as, how did Solace manage to buff stats that high?
    This is the end. Unless, possibly, it isn't.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

He then fired the colossal sized cannons, each filled with him through extremely cheesy use of Alter Reality, cleaving through the boss roughly 8 full attacks (charges) in a row.
    Spoiler
    Show

So...beautiful...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eonas View Post
    Yeah, I'm really curious about round 2 as well. Props to your DM for not going insane.
    I'm going with he is insane. And is rolling with it all the way to Nessus.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #23
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Great Modthulhu: Necromancy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.