Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Speculation] If the Wizards Had Sold D&D

This thread is inspired by an old post on the EnWorld forums concerning the same subject matter. Sadly, I am unable to find it. Just bare in mind that much of what I am saying is unoriginal. The main difference is that the post was brief and tongue-in-cheek, while mine is longer and more serious.

The Wizards of the Coast are obviously not going to sell D&D. D&D Fifth Edition proves this. Imagine, however, an alternate universe where instead of announcing a new edition, the Wizards announced that they would sell D&D.

If they sold it to Fantasy Flight Games, D&D would turn into a tactical miniatures game with roleplaying elements. It would have a heavy focus on miniatures combat, would look gorgeous, would be well-written, and would cost significantly more than it already does.

If they sold it to White Wolf, D&D would focus much more of narrative. It would become a storytelling game where most mechanics are very abstract. The writing would be solid, the subject matter would become darker, the art would be hit-or-miss, and the production value would drop slightly.

If they sold it to Evil Hat Publishing, the game would both become lighter on the rules and focus more on player empowerment. The subject matter would become more light-hearted and bizarre, and published adventures would seem like they were written while intoxicated.

... What about other companies?
    Last edited by Chainsaw Hobbit; 2012-07-07 at 10:15 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Speculation] If the Wizards Had Sold D&D

If they sold it to Electronic Arts, large sections of the core rulebooks would be padlocked and you'd have to buy the keys separately for large prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oooo! Ooo! I have one!

If WotC sold D&D to Fatal Games, then it would be a game so wrong that even the mad gods that dwell between the stars and infinities of this universe would recoil in horror from it. Mothers would whisper stories of fear and grief about the game to quell their children's disobedience, and memorials would be erected to those poor, poor souls lost to the game's madness.

But hey! It would be historically accurate!
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2012-07-07 at 10:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga
    3DS Friend Code - 4098-2424-2486

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeckoKing View Post
    Oooo! Ooo! I have one!

If WotC sold D&D to Fatal Games, then it would be a game so wrong that even the mad gods that dwell between the stars and infinities of this universe would recoil in horror from it. Mothers would whisper stories of fear and grief about the game to quell their children's disobedience, and memorials would be erected to those poor, poor souls lost to the game's madness.

But hey! It would be historically accurate!
    If they sold it to Fatal Games, by friends would play it with frightening enthusiasm. Its popularity would also either greatly increase or decrease.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

If they'd sold it to Valve:

DnD Next would be a running joke, hidden in innumerable easter eggs in myriad of minor free updates containing tiny, hard to remember class fixes and a ton, a TON of new enchanted items. No actual work would be done, except random new dungeons.
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2012-07-08 at 11:46 PM.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DnD Next would be a running joke, hidden in innumerable easter eggs in myriad of minor free updates containing tiny, hard to remember class fixes and a ton, a TON of new enchanted items. No actual work would be done, except random new dungeons.
    That's a bit mean. I think Valve handles TF2 relatively well.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Hobbit View Post
    That's a bit mean. I think Valve handles TF2 relatively well.
    I'm an addicted TF2 player, and I agree: it does.

But apply its strategy to DnD, and you'll find a very similar thing.

In fact, I'd love that strategy. Free dungeons and new, small, updates? Eeeeeyes.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Also the dungeons would focus more on problem solving and less on combat. And they would be awesome.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

If they sold it to Fantasy Flight Games, D&D would turn into a tactical miniatures game with roleplaying elements. It would have a heavy focus on miniatures combat, would look gorgeous, would be well-written, and would cost significantly more than it already does.
    FF already has their own roleplaying system.

Some of your points hold true for it... and then again, some don't.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    FF already has their own roleplaying system.

*Snip!*

Some of your points hold true for it... and then again, some don't.
    I'll look into that.

I envisioned a FFG roleplaying game as being Fourth Edition taken even further, with better art and writing.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Anima, to me anyway, seemed horrifyingly tedious to play. It does have good art, but not better art. To me, currently, you can't get any better than Wayne Reynolds, and Pathfinder already has him.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegander View Post
    Anima, to me anyway, seemed horrifyingly tedious to play. It does have good art, but not better art. To me, currently, you can't get any better than Wayne Reynolds, and Pathfinder already has him.
    Wayne Reynolds is pretty damn awesome. I certainly plan on buying his artbook.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I'll look into that.

I envisioned a FFG roleplaying game as being Fourth Edition taken even further, with better art and writing.
    Naaahhhh... it is, however, as pointed out, somewhat tedious to play. I mean, they recommend a calculator as one of the props for playing.

Because the bonuses start at +10 and go all the way up to +200.

It is and I'm not arguing it. However, I mainly bought it because I wanted to get better look into the lore of Gaia, what drives certain organisations, gods and devils, magic, the world itself...

As a system, I find Anima sorely lacking. As a setting, I find it superb.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."

14. - Top - End - #14

RedWizardGuy

I feel like FFG writes good simulationist games. Streamlining said simulationism, of course, is a work in progress, as you can see if you go through the five 40kRP games in order or publication. They're getting a lot better at it.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

If Bethesda got a hold of D&D
    The game would be focused on the setting with cools bits very early on, but the higher level the more borken things would get no matter how you played to the point your master of the longsword could kill people with his toes. Or
    Everything scales poorly mages can barely do anything, rogues cannot survive any direct combat and can never stealth, fighters are the only ones who can do a single thing and even then die easily to magic
    But you can't kill any NPC's, children, shop keepers, etc
    And if you try to say no they force you down that path until you either accept or break and hit them until they fall over and get up.

Also don't be mean to my favorite edition...
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

If the sold it to Nightfall Games it would be a dark dystopian fantasy setting where half orcs were bio-engineered soldiers, magic was only available to a few races who would metamorph into demons at a certain level, and characters worked for the worst monsters I'n the world eliminating rivals. Civillians would be kept pacified by watching brutal blood sports and healing magic would be replaced by addictive combat drugs.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

The instructions would also be impossible to understand on a first read-through, with a great many people getting the rules wrong on their first go because of badly-organized books. (unless they organize their RPG rules better than their boardgame rules...)
    If they sold it to White Wolf, D&D would focus much more of narrative. It would become a storytelling game where most mechanics are very abstract. The writing would be solid, the subject matter would become darker, the art would be hit-or-miss, and the production value would drop slightly.
    There would be 200% more trenchcoats. And they would change it to a d10 dice pool game. Paragon and epic tears would become, respectively, broken and uber-broken. (And, actually, White Wolf games are not terribly narrative-based or more abstract by the books. They're more like streamlined modern D&D. The storytelling elements come from the GM.)

If they sold it to Luke Crane, you would get a repackaged Burning Wheel Gold.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story | My Steam Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    The instructions would also be impossible to understand on a first read-through, with a great many people getting the rules wrong on their first go because of badly-organized books. (unless they organize their RPG rules better than their boardgame rules...)
    They're not the best but they are getting better at it.
    Many thanks to Z-axis for the great avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Saldre View Post
    you know whats worse than a regular Daemon-host? A Daemon-host with a Plasma Cannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic
    "Eh. I do to 'Mechs what Simon does to American Idol contestants."

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    If they sold it to Luke Crane, you would get a repackaged Burning Wheel Gold.
    WRONG!

You would get an amzing game about dungeon exploration. More closer to 0 edition DnD then to Burning Wheel. You get this feeling from his posts about him playing Moldvay DnD.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    I swear, about 50% of what makes BW awesome is the little stuff like that that's applicable to just about any system.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by king.com View Post
    They're not the best but they are getting better at it.
    To be fair to FFG, while pretty much all of their rules are somewhat of hard to understand, they usually make games very balanced and fun to play. For me at least, that overweights somewhat harder to understand rules.

Anima, the card game and Arkham Horror are two great examples.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siegel View Post
    You would get an amzing game about dungeon exploration. More closer to 0 edition DnD then to Burning Wheel. You get this feeling from his posts about him playing Moldvay DnD.
    Luke demo'd a Mouse Guard hack called Dungeoneers and Dragonslayers back in November. At the time he said he'd get it playtested and sold as a way of raising money for his friend Alexander who'd had a stroke.

I hope it's still going ahead.
    Attempting to say controversial things that everyone will agree with.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Grail View Post
    If the sold it to Nightfall Games it would be a dark dystopian fantasy setting where half orcs were bio-engineered soldiers, magic was only available to a few races who would metamorph into demons at a certain level, and characters worked for the worst monsters I'n the world eliminating rivals. Civillians would be kept pacified by watching brutal blood sports and healing magic would be replaced by addictive combat drugs.
    Oh, and I forgot...

Investigative, mystery, conspiracy theories would be the order of the day. The game would take place in and below massive cities. sewer crawls would replace dungeon crawls and the undead would just be more employees of your boss. There would be multiple truths about the world, ethos, people, places and god's but only one would be The Truth, but they'd still all get you killed.

The catch-phrase of the game would be "swords kill, but so does the truth".

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair to FFG, while pretty much all of their rules are somewhat of hard to understand, they usually make games very balanced and fun to play. For me at least, that overweights somewhat harder to understand rules.

From what I've seen of Anima, it seems like a good system, better at heroic, high-powered fantasy than D&D. But the rules really are daunting and very hard to wrap your head around.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Since some people mentioned EA and Valve, I'm starting to wonder the possibilities if a different gaming company was involved...
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

25. - Top - End - #25
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

If they sold it to Bioware, the game would ship with a fully written campaign setting giving lavish detail about every inch of the world right down to the motivations and sample dialogue for NPCs. Every 17th page of the actual rulebook would be illegible gibberish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

If they sold it to Palladium Games, then 5th Edition would look like a more complex, Byzantine version of 2nd Edition. The setting would be lavish, the art amazing, and the production values completely bare bones.

Each book would detail a 50 by 50 mile square of Greyhawk. And they'd never be another edition for over 20 years.
    Last edited by industrious; 2012-07-10 at 08:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

27. - Top - End - #27

I spend 90% of my time on these forums ranting about how great FFG products are you dont need to try to sell me on it. They just are usually bad at writing their rulebooks.
    Last edited by king.com; 2012-07-10 at 08:49 AM.
    Many thanks to Z-axis for the great avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Saldre View Post
    you know whats worse than a regular Daemon-host? A Daemon-host with a Plasma Cannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic
    "Eh. I do to 'Mechs what Simon does to American Idol contestants."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

If they sold it to TSR, it would be a complicated system focused on simulation of warfare and fantasy worlds, aimed at miniatures/fantasy geeks, and with a reputation for being deadly.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    From what I've seen of Anima, it seems like a good system, better at heroic, high-powered fantasy than D&D. But the rules really are daunting and very hard to wrap your head around.
    It is a great system, really flexible in the kind of characters you can create, an awesome setting (though a bit heavy on ultra powerful hidden organizations for my tastes), it has a kind of balance between all clasess and sub-system (Magic vs. Ki dominion vs. psychic matrixes) though obviously there are some exploits.

But I have to agree it is a complex system and thatnyou really need to sit down and read the books thouroughly to understand the game.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    If they sold it to TSR, it would be a complicated system focused on simulation of warfare and fantasy worlds, aimed at miniatures/fantasy geeks, and with a reputation for being deadly.
    Mind. Freaking. Blown.

I would have never have seen that coming.

*Sarcasm hand slides up.*

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII