OOC Thread

{table=head]Player|Character|Race|Class
    ProudGrognard|Kalezin|Human|Witch
    North Ranger|Miron Sokolov|Human|Cleric
    Athaleon|Gideon Kaide|Human|Magus
    Nexus R.C. Mina|Zhaag|Half-Orc|Barbarian
    Ancient Hippo|Caerwyn|Half-Elf|Inquisitor[/table]

XP Count: 3600/6000

Welcome, everyone, to the first episode of the Kingmaker Adventure Path. I hope you're all as excited to get things started as I am, and thanks for submitting excellent characters. I've appended everyone's sheets into the above easy-to-access table for the purpose of convenience. I'll put the IC thread up some time tomorrow, after everyone's posted here to confirm that they're good to go. Please go ahead and choose a colour for your speech and what have you; as cliched as it is around here, it really is very useful. I'll be leading in with a short introduction that gets everyone together for the journey into the Greenbelt then giving you all a chance to introduce yourselves, so you might as well plot out what you'd like to say. If you have any questions or anything like that, feel free to ask. Elsewise, this thread is for the discussion of whatever you feel like OOC, as well as any rolls you might need to make without double-posting IC (crit confirmations, that sort of thing). I'm reserving the first two posts for useful information; expect some basics to show up soon, and the rest to show up as it comes up IC. Regardless, watch this space. There'll be more here soon.

Link to the IC Thread

People and Organizations

Oleg and Svetlana Leveron
    Spoiler
    Show

This middle-aged couple runs a trading post built a few months ago out of the remains of a ruined border fort and unimaginatively named "Oleg's". Oleg is an independent, if stern, merchant and trader while Svetlana is the post's somewhat more level-headed housekeeper, cook and architect. The couple have recently been having some trouble with bandits disrupting trade and extorting their supplies. While they've sent a message to the Swordlords asking for trained guards for the post, the promised men have not yet arrived.

With the Brevish guards defending their trading post, the Leverons now operate a fairly successful business and no longer need to worry about attack from bandits. They remain grateful for your defense of their lives and livelihoods.

The Northern Bandit Camp
    Spoiler
    Show

Led by a cruel, dangerous woman named Kressle and her second-in-command and sometimes lover Happs Brydon, this camp represented the northernmost of the Stag Lord's forces. Since wiped out, a handful of survivers have escaped to parts unknown.

Jaxon Vaduin
    Spoiler
    Show

Born in the River Kingdoms, Jax has spent most of his life on a riverboat from one place to another, and the rest fighting or avoiding a fight. He wound up in the Greenbelt after his boat sunk some distance to the west, while passing through the Slough. Defected from the Bandits, who he wasn't very fond of to begin with. Left for Restov, but will likely return at some point in the future.

The Stag Lord
    Spoiler
    Show

The enigmatic leader of the Bandits in the Greenbelt. You know he lives somewhere to the south, you know his men are scared of him and you know that he's a hell of a fighter. Otherwise, he's still something of a mystery.

Kasten Garess
    Spoiler
    Show

An ill-tempered Brevish soldier in charge of the force sent by the Swordlords to defend Oleg's trading post. Secretive about his past, he seems to be extremely cynical.

Davik Nettles:
    Spoiler
    Show

Once the founder and proprietor of Nettles' Crossing, the only truly safe passage over the Shrike river for miles around, Davik Nettles was killed by the Stag Lord and his bridge and home destroyed at least a few months prior to your arrival in the region. Now a strange undead revenant bound to the river, he waits for the opportunity to claim his revenge. He has demanded that you throw the Stag Lord's body in the river, and has allowed you free use of his crossing in pursuit of the Stag Lord's death.

The Sootscale Kobolds
    Spoiler
    Show

A relatively small tribe of Kobolds, the Sootscales live in an abandoned silver mine a few miles north of the Shrike River. Numbering perhaps thirty in total, they have historically been relatively peaceful neighbors but recently have become both more hostile and more aggressive. Ruled by Chief Sootscale and the Shaman Tartuk, they are engaged in a war with a colony of Mites and have requested that you return the mystical statue of Old Sharptooth, some sort of deity, from the Mites.

With Tartuk dead, the Sootscales have once again ceased their attacks on the humanoid dwellers of the Greenbelt and agreed to a loose alliance with you.

Loot:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current table of unsold items:

Wand of Burning Hands (2 Charges left) (Kalezin has this)
    Wand of Magic Missile CL3
    Potion of Cure Light Wounds
    Potion of Invisibility
    Potion of Enlarge Person
    Heatstone
    Bracers of Armour +2
    Dust of Illusion
    Masterwork Sickle

Undistributed GP:

GP distributed:
    Miron: 26
    Everyone Else: 377
    Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2013-10-08 at 03:29 PM.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Kingmaker: Into the Green OOC

Important Locations of the Stolen Lands

Oleg's Trading Post
    Spoiler
    Show

This walled log-and plank trading post was built by Oleg and his wife out of the remains of an abandoned border fort. Its walls are somewhat sturdy but still in a state of serious disrepair, leaving handholds and gaps that make it of little value as a fortification, though it's still better than nothing. The post consists of a stable, fenced and covered storage pen, a guesthouse which consists of little more than half a dozen bunks in a slightly run-down shack and a greathouse where the two proprietors of the post live and serve meals. It lies a scant few miles from the Greenbelt, an untamed wilderness that just so happens to be the portion of the Stolen Lands you have been commissioned to explore.

The Greenbelt
    Spoiler
    Show

The Greenbelt is the centre-most territory of the Stolen-lands, as well as the farthest north. It borders on Rostland to the north and the River Kingdom of Mivon's tenuous territory to the south, and on the Slough to the west and the Nomen Hights to the east. The least dangerous and most 'civilized' of the Stolen Lands, the northern reaches of the Greenbelt are relatively safe, the greatest threat to a common traveler or explorer being the heavy bandit presence within the region. As a general rule, the farther north you are in the Greenbelt, the safer you are. The southern reaches are dangerous unclaimed wilderness occupied by all manner of dangerous beasts. This is the region you have been chartered to explore.

The Slough
    Spoiler
    Show

This marshy region used to be one of the most important trade routes between Brevoy and the other human nations to the south, via the Sellen River which leads all the way from New Stetven in the north to Galt, Kyonin and Lake Encarthan to the south. Inhabited by Lizardfolk, Boggards and still stranger creatures it has recently become far more dangerous to legitimate travel, prompting the Swordlords to send a large force of diplomats and skilled soldiers to secure the vital trade links.

The Nomen Heights:
    Spoiler
    Show

A mountainous region occupied only tenuously by the 'civilized' races, the Nomen heights have never been adequately explored. The centaurs of the Nomen Heights have always been trouble, and in an attempt at a show of force, the swordlords sent a group of mercenaries led by one of their own, a low-ranking but eager-to-impress swordlord named Maegar Varn to establish a town and make peace with the Nomen centaurs.

The Glenebon Uplands:
    Spoiler
    Show

Occupied primarily by the violent and insular Tiger Lord barbarians, this heavily forested region is exceedingly dangerous and the westernmost reach of the Stolen Lands. The swordlords sent a relatively experienced band of adventurers known as the Iron Wraiths into the Glenebon Uplands, charging them with purging the hills of the Tiger Lord barbarians and, eventually, to make diplomatic contact with Pitax to work out border issues.

Map of the Stolen Lands (so far):
    Spoiler
    Show

There we go, that's a start. Still a lot more to see, though.
    Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2013-04-01 at 02:20 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hey! Great to be here and great to see everyone else who got in! Just like to say, since it may not have been clear in the Recruitment thread, I would probably be most interested in the position of Magister, given Caledor's penchant for law and honor.
    Favorite Things Mr. Welch can't do during an RPG:
    • My monk's lips must be in sync.
    • Collateral Damage Man is not an appropriate concept for a super hero.
    • No longer allowed to recreate the Death Star Trench Run out of genre.
    • When accepting a challenge for a duel, I must allow the other guy time to find a pistol.
    • Check the door means to listen at it, not put several rounds through it.
    • We will not implement any plan that includes the words "And hope they miss a lot"

4. - Top - End - #4

Kobold

Woohoo! I've been looking forward to a chance to play Kingmaker, look forward to working with the rest of the lucky recruits.

Wilison shall pontificate in royal blue.

The targeted positions for Wilison are (in order of preference): Ruler, Magister, Spymaster, Treasurer, anything else (he'd be decent at anything but Warden).

Presuming the group had a chance to meet and discuss before venturing into the Stolen Lands, Wilison's family provided him with decent funding for the expedition, as such he has splurged on a great many useful if mundane items to make our task easier. If you have any suggestions of things to add that would be useful to the group as a whole, or want to swap out some of your own gear (GM permission allowing) to prevent excessive overlap, now would probably be a great time to discuss it.

Gear List (on top of Wil's personal gear)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pony w riding saddle
    Donkey (x2) w bit & bridle + pack saddles
    Animal feed (x40), trail rations (x10)
    Abacus, merchant scale, block & tackle, map making kit, large treasure chest w good lock, compass, crowbar, grappling hook, 4 50`coils of silk rope, 10 sacks, waterproof hooded lantern, 20 pints lamp oil, folding ladder, folding chair, stretcher, flint & steel, board game (10gp), small steel mirror, shaving kit, chalk board, 100 pieces of chalk, 10 sticks of charcoal, 10 vials of ink, 10 ink pens, 50 sheets of paper, 50 sheets of parchment, 10 scroll cases, 5 lbs of sealing wax, 100 candles, 4 fish hooks, 30 sunrods.
    +71 gp cash on hand

A quick question for the GM - are the character's aware that they'll be establishing a new kingdom, or just that they're reclaiming territory for Brevoy? Just curious if it's made clear from the outset, or something that comes up latter in the adventure path.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosLord29 View Post
    Hey! Great to be here and great to see everyone else who got in! Just like to say, since it may not have been clear in the Recruitment thread, I would probably be most interested in the position of Magister, given Caledor's penchant for law and honor.
    Don't forget to choose a colour, ChaosLord.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckus View Post
    want to swap out some of your own gear (GM permission allowing) to prevent excessive overlap, now would probably be a great time to discuss it.

A quick question for the GM - are the character's aware that they'll be establishing a new kingdom, or just that they're reclaiming territory for Brevoy? Just curious if it's made clear from the outset, or something that comes up latter in the adventure path.
    I'll allow any of you to swap out any survival gear you feel you no longer need thanks to Wilison's personal backing. You'll be gathering at a small trading post just to the north of the Greenbelt, operated by a trader named Oleg and his wife Svetlana. There is a specific day noted on your charter for the meeting, and you should all be arriving at Oleg's trading post on that day, just to prevent headaches on my part. It's up to you guys to decide whether you travel to Oleg's from Restov (a journey of about a week, for which you will not need to account for rations) together or in as many groups as you might desire. Regardless, the game begins at the trading post with the five of you meeting in an open-air marketplace curiously empty except for the five of you and Oleg himself. Which will go up IC once everyone's posted.

No, you were simply contracted to explore and map the Greenbelt. That said, the Swordlords would have carefully implied that, should you do a good job with the area, you might see some of the 'pacified' land deeded to you.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Well, well, well. Fond greetings to my fellow common players, and a bow to our eminent chief Daedalus.

WAAAAAAGGGHHH!
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

WHooohooo!!

Having said that.

WHO LET IN THE ORC?!?! Noting all the caps, it is a good thing Paiku is deaf. First time a character sheet made me laugh hard.

High priest here. I'll be your woman for anything divine.
    Last edited by Moranica; 2012-07-12 at 01:25 PM.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

8. - Top - End - #8

I think I'd like Caledor to post in Red, since it's bold, easy to read, and quite suits his brash nature.

Also I'm glad to see we have a fellow Warhammer player here. Any chance the Character you're playing here corresponds to your choice of army? I know mine does.
    Last edited by ChaosLord29; 2012-07-12 at 01:29 PM.
    • When accepting a challenge for a duel, I must allow the other guy time to find a pistol.
    • We will not implement any plan that includes the words "And hope they miss a lot"

9. - Top - End - #9

Kobold

You're not the only two, though I must admit my fondness runs closer to 40K than the medievalish Warhammer on the rare occasion I have to play a game.

None can withstand the might of the Space Wolves! The Sons of Russ are ever victorious!

Though I must admit a fondness for the occassional bit of Ork-ish hijinks.

No, you were simply contracted to explore and map the Greenbelt. That said, the Swordlords would have carefully implied that, should you do a good job with the area, you might see some of the 'pacified' land deeded to you.
    OK, thanks for the clarification.
    Last edited by Geckus; 2012-07-12 at 06:25 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, make that four, though ChaosLord already knew that. I too prefer 40k as both a setting and a game, but my Dark Elves speak to the fact that I'm perfectly happy with either one. And, since I've asked him the question before, Nexus doesn't actually play the tabletop games. He's just a fluff junkie who spends a lot of time hanging around the Dark Heresy corners of this website. I like Tau. They've got some of the best aestetics in the game, they're the least generic race in 40k (Space British Empire Utilitarians flying around in mini-mecha) and Skimmers and Battlesuits are boss. If only they didn't suck so much compared to every other army but Daemons...

Just waiting on IRollTwenties now. If he hasn't posted here in two or three hours I'll start up the IC regardless and let him jump in when he shows up. Or throw out an invite to one of the other applicants at that time if he decides to drop out, I guess. Either way, the opening posts have seen some changes since they first went up. Check them out, there's some useful info in there that wasn't in the Player's Guide. Also, check back on them often; I'll be updating them with new people, places and things as they come up.
    Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2012-07-12 at 06:59 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

I'm a creature of habit where it comes to table top games. I've got a Warhammer Fantasy army of High Elves, but my preferred army to play with happens to be 40k as well. Ulthwe Eldar are my personal choice, I love the firepower and the versatility of my aspect warriors, and especially the mythology behind the Space Elves. It doesn't hurt that they're master manipulators of the galaxy, and their only real weakness is the fact that they accidentally created one of the Chaos Gods . . . woops.

I really wanted to build me a Vampire Counts army too, but I just can't afford it XD

12. - Top - End - #12

Kobold

Nothing wrong with being a fluff junkie, especially with Warhammer - it has some truly awesome lore and stories floating about, plus some pretty decent novels. I know I picked up four or five of the older codex' just for the little stories tucked away in them.

Actually building a proper army is just so damned expensive that it keeps a lot of people who might otherwise play out of the hobby, myself included, for the most part - I only had enough minis for a mid-sized force of marines at the height of my collection; these days, I think I might have 1 or 2 left - those I thought were too cool looking to give away. <sigh> And now I kind of miss having them.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

IC thread is now up. Check the link in the first post. Still waiting on IRollTwenties, PMing him now to make sure he knows what's going on.

Be it so known that the bearer of this charter has been charged
    by the Swordlords of Restov, acting upon the greater good and
    authority vested within them by the office of the Regent of the
    Dragonscale Throne, has granted the right of exploration and travel
    within the wilderness region known as the Greenbelt. Exploration
    should be limited to an area no further than thirty-six miles east and
    west and sixty miles south of Oleg’s Trading Post. The carrier of
    this charter should also strive against banditry and other unlawful
    behavior to be encountered. The punishment for unrepentant banditry
    remains, as always, execution by sword or rope. So witnessed on this
    24th day of Calistril, under watchful eye of the Lordship of Restov
    and authority granted by Lord Noleski Surtova, current Regent of
    the Dragonscale Throne.
    Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2012-07-13 at 12:52 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Minor warhammer fan here. We played a lot of Rogue trader with my rl group. Also player some games (WH 40k and bloodbowl), but nothing serious. What is a good series to read?

15. - Top - End - #15

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Moranica View Post
    Minor warhammer fan here. We played a lot of Rogue trader with my rl group. Also player some games (WH 40k and bloodbowl), but nothing serious. What is a good series to read?
    Hit and miss, but with more hits than misses, IMO - Dan Abnett is probably the best known/most prolific writer for Warhammer 40K, and I found most of his books are quite enjoyable. The little blurbs and shorts in the codex' and rule books are generally awesome.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Sandy Mitchell's Caiphas Cain novels are generally a good place for a non-40k aficionado to start with the setting, since they tend to be written without absolute knowledge of the setting in mind. The Horus Heresy series isn't a bad idea either, though it won't help you understand the setting as it is 'now', being set 10,000 years previous to the current date. If you're in the mood for something dark but very good at giving an idea of how the setting works, the Eisenhorn and Ravenor books by Dan Abnett are also very good. I don't recommend reading his famous Tanith First and Only books without a solid grasp of things, though, since they tend to assume a significant knowledge of how the Imperium and Imperial Guard work.

Still no word from IRollTwenties.
    Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2012-07-13 at 03:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Double post for great justice...

Near as I can tell, IRollTwenties has dropped off the face of the earth. I'm not sure if I should be trying to invite one of the other submitted characters to take his place or just wait a little while longer for him. It's been three days since the OOC went up and I was rather hoping for players who could be a little more active than posting every three or four days. What do you guys say; wait a bit more for him, or invite someone else? I was thinking Orsel the Agnostic monk, if I do go for a replacement.

18. - Top - End - #18

Just a heads up, it may be a day or two before I can do my post, I'm in San Diego (impromptu trip to Comic Con to try and scalp some tickets), and I probably won't have the chance to sit down and do the whole post I would like to until tomorrow or the day after.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hi all, I'm here to replace IRollTwenties.

Why did you take all the cool colors I hope this is not too close to Zhaag's color? If so, then my only option really is something Brownish. IC post coming soon... And by the way, I'm swapping the donkey back to a tent, as Wilison's mules or half-orc probably don't mind a little extra weight much.
    Last edited by Ancient Hippo; 2012-07-15 at 08:53 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Back from San Diego! Will be making my introductory post as soon as I get off work in a couple hours.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, that's everyone but Nexus in, and since he's been hit with family health issues we won't be waiting on him. I'll move things along in about 12 hours or so, so if you think there's anything else important to do in this scene go ahead and do it.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

I have a question about my natural divination ability.

Natural Divination (Ex): You can read the entrails of a freshly killed animal or humanoid to gain an insight bonus equal to your Charisma modifier on one saving throw. Alternatively, by observing and interpreting the flights of birds, you may apply a +10 competence bonus on any one skill check. Finally, by charting marks in dirt or stone, or observing the behavior of sand when thrown into the wind, you gain a +4 insight bonus on one initiative check. These bonuses must be used during the next 24 hours and you must declare you are using the bonus before the check or save is made. Making a natural divination takes 10 minutes. You may use natural divination (in any combination) once per day plus one additional time per day for every four oracle levels you have attained.

So how does this work exactly?
    • Do I prepare one of the three at the beginning of the day (takes 10 min.) and then use it at some point during the day?
    • Or do I do the 10 min. thing when the check is needed? Which doesn't make sense for the initiative bonus.

Either way, I plan to use it for knowledge only, as it fits my character better. Is it ok if we just assume I've prepared the birds thing every day?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

You take the 10 minutes to perform the divination at any point in the day, and can gain the bonus at any time within 24 hours with no action involved, but you have to choose which of the bonuses to go for when you take the 10 minute time, and you're stuck with it until the next day.

Also, yeah, we can assume you do any of them except the entrails thing very easily on any given day, but you'll need to specifically work for that one. Even if you never intend to do it.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, I doubt she'll be using that one. Except perhaps concerning entrails of enemies. That makes sense...

Also, are we all on quadruped back?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Does it happen to you often that when you have almost finished writing your post, you accidentally press Ctrl + W instead of Sift + W?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

I don't use either... What do they do?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Shift + W writes a capital "w". It's quite useful. Ctrl + W closes your current window. (I secretly hoped somebody would try and see what it does. )
    Last edited by Ancient Hippo; 2012-07-18 at 03:59 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, I doubt she'll be using that one. Except perhaps concerning entrails of enemies. That makes sense...

Also, are we all on quadruped back?
    No, only you and Wiliston have personal mounts, though there are enough pack animals to carry a lot of supplies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Hippo View Post
    Does it happen to you often that when you have almost finished writing your post, you accidentally press Ctrl + W instead of Sift + W?
    No, that's not happened to me. Then again, I make sure to make liberal use of Ctrl + C whenever writing a decently long post. Saves horrible, horrible frustration.
    I don't use either... What do they do?
    Shift + W makes a capital W, obviously. Ctrl + W closes the browsing tab you're on. One of these things is not exactly desirable.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I just noticed that Inquisitors apparently do not have martial weapon proficiency, so I sneakily removed the longsword from my sheet. Just thought that I should mention it here so you don't think I'm cheating or something.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

I don't have time to post in depth right now, but the gate can be closed and barred (though it isn't quick or subtle to do so), but Oleg would really rather prefer to avoid setting his home on fire.

If you're satisfied with the ambush plan, go ahead and confirm here in the OOC. If I get a majority, I'll move things along to the beginning of the encounter with the bandits in the morning.