Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Knights of the Old Kingdom (IC)

About a day's ride from the former Geradian capital of Harl, deep in Wheron territory, a steep hill rises 200 meters above the plains that spread all along the Harl river.

On the hill stand the ruins of what was once the strongest fortress in Geradia. Situated atop a long dead vulcano, Corion Hall was built in 1303 to be the chapterhouse of the Corion Knights. It was the last Geradian stronghold to fall to the hordes of Wheron.

As you slowly make your way towards Corion Hall you reach the causeway that winds around Corion Hill twice before reaching the inner Gatehouse. The first gate is in ruins, broken by catapult fire. You continue, riding higher and higher, with a strong wall to your left and a steep drop to your right. You pass 7 more gates before you reach the outer ward.

The inner Gatehouse is not broken like the rest, you realize. It has recently been repaired and seems to be in top condition. The artificial chasm before the gate has been cleared of rubble and promises a long fall to those foolish enough to trip.

You see nobody manning the walls and the drawbridge is up.

What do you do?
    Act well before thinking!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Knights of the Old Kingdom (IC)

Sabar readies her shield just in case the occupants are hostile and uses her offhand to cup the side off her mouth; "Hello!" she yells.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The first to arrive, Sambar has to wait a few minutes until a man in armor steps out onto the battlements atop the inner gatehouse.

"Who seeks entrance into the house of Corion?" he demands.

Spoiler
    Show
    As a knight of Touran, Sambar is not sure about the protocols of gaining entry into the chapterhouse of Corion, but he is sure there is a fairly evolved series of questions and answers involved.

4. - Top - End - #4

"Who is asking? This fortress is a shadow of it's former self and you could very well be a squatting brigand for all I know" She yells up at him.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

After a few seconds the man answers: "I am Sir Randon of the Knights of Corion, Keeper of the Gate."

After another second he repeats: "Who seeks entrance into the house of Corion?"

6. - Top - End - #6

"I am Sabar Anan, Knight of Touran and friend to the house of Corian, servant to the old kingdom of Geradia"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Welcome to Corion Hall, Sabar Anan, Knight of Touran. WE recognize your right to enter these halls, friend."

After a second, Sir Randon continues: "We are expecting a few more people soon. Please wait in the outer ward for them to arrive."

A minute later the drawbridge is lowered, opening access to the outer ward of Corion Hall.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

As Belcor rides over the chasm, he sees the two before him speaking. His steed's steps light as the wind across it. Arriving to stand beside this other knight, Belcor announces himself.

"I am Belcor Lakar, of the Knights of Mercy, I have been asked to come here, and so here I am."
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

As Mamellek followed her fellow Knights in to the castle, it quickly became apparent that her horse had gone to seed faster than she had. She could still fit into her plate (though she hadn't worn it for the journey, it was in her saddlebags so she'd be a little less conspicuous), but the barding wasn't providing quite the same cover as it should have done... and come to think of it, she hadn't ridden the horse *that* hard to get here, but it seemed a little tired...

"Sister Mamellek, also of the Knights of Mercy."

Since there was a gatekeeper, and the two ahead of her had also announced themselves, Mamellek followed suit. Then followed them into the outer ward.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Kreig rode upon his steed up the hill, his cloak tight around his shoulders and his head low, only a few inches above the horse's neck. His plan was to scout a bit, while his steed would walk a bit behind. But then he heard the knights declaring themselves and decided to rush the horse and continue forward.

"I am Kreig Shadowfist." He announced as he pulled his mount to a halt by the other knights. "Of the Knights of the Flame. I am answering a message asking for my presence"
    Last edited by Sliver; 2012-07-17 at 05:43 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Muushala stride aside her horse patting its neck.

"I am Muushala Arihant, elder daughter of Laern. I have answered the call to arms sent forth in a letter to my father. Praise be to Kord for his blessings. Coal and I (patting her horse) have come to assist in anyway possible. We represent the Knights Corion."

Muushala headed towards the other knights seeking out another Knight Corion in hopes of finding another who might know her father and pass along knowledge of his past. Her journey to make her father proud had truly begun and now she wanted to know WHO he was not just that he was a Knight. Perhaps someone here might know.

As Muushala stroke aside, Sabar she noted she was not the sole woman amongst them as she had feared she would be. Her fears allayed she raised her visor showing her blue eyes and bright face to all.
    Last edited by Medic; 2012-07-17 at 08:02 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

As Devlin rides up towards the meeting point, he sees the other riders ahead of him. While he doesn't recognize any of them, they seem to carry the bearing of other knights.
    "Still" he mutters to himself "I have not survived this long on believing what things appear to be."

Waiting until the last rider he can see moves up the pathway to the fortress, he urges his Starburst forward as he draws out his falchion and incants briefly, the force of protective magic invisible.

As he winds his way, he can hear words being spoken even if he can't make out the words. At the approach to the gate, here hears the challenge and responds
    "I am Sir Devlin Hurshim, known as Trueheart, Knight of the Flame and former squire to Sir Havlin duíSolastair, may St. Cuthbert protect his soul. I seek entrance for I was summoned from afare and have heeded the call."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Seemingly the last to the party Ascherit rides up to others. Bouncing rather uncomfortably in the saddle to his horse. Even though he was taught to ride, he was never particularly good at it, and his nethers were paying the price. He pulled up along side the others with a faint grimace on his face and an urge to rub himself to help with the pain.

His chainmail and Chahar-Aina bore the symbols of the nine fold paths proudly. He cupped a hand to his mouth as he called out his own introduction.I am Blade Master Ascherit Stern. I belong to no order exclusively, but have worked with all orders. I am a friend to any knight, and a servant of the fallen Kingdom Geradia.

A small smile breaks across his face as he looks to the others. The hand that was used to help amplify his voice now used to wave to the others that were gathered. He didn't let the gate shift from view, but no sense in being uptight or so serious just yet.
    Last edited by Azoth; 2012-07-17 at 07:16 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"I'm sure you are, are, are, are and did." If there was one thing you picked up quickly in the clergy, it was a healthy dose of skepticism about the people you meet. Because you're expected to deal, either medically or metaphysically, with every type of evil that your flock choose to visit on one another...

Four Knights, one Replacement for a Knight, and one Blademaster arrived behind me. Two Knights arrived in front. There's a couple I might have been in the same battle as? But only one I recognise. I'll start with him.

"I have not seen a Brother of our order in many years, Sir Lakar. Though I'll admit... I've not exactly been searching for them. I was rather resigned to putting down roots in my little church until..." and she drew her letter of invitation out from under her cloak. Doubtless she wouldn't have to explain what it was, as the others should all have the same letter, no?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Kreig took a quick moment, scanning the knights as they come. Another brother of the order came, but Kreig didn't recognize him, which wasn't that odd, considering Kreig's training.

On the other hand, Ascherit was a man Kreig recognized. Training under him, even though their method of battle was different, Kreig learned much from Ascherit's style and teaching.

"Good day to you, master Stern." Kreig nodded to him. "Haven't seen you for quite a while, how have you been doing? I have to admit, your teaching saves my skin a few times during the war so... Thank you." Kreig smiles slightly.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

At had been many years since he had seen another from his chapter. And while he wasn't expecting to see anyone he knew, he wasn't about to be upset about finding another member of the Knights of Mercy.

"Greetings sister. I haven't been looking either. I've spent the years in my hamlet sharpening swords for the new youths.

Belcor swings himself over the side of his mount to dismount. As he does so, his warhorse fades away into the light, as if it was never there to begin with.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

17. - Top - End - #17

Sliding out of her saddle Muushala landed to the ground lightly. She whispered to Coal and with a flourish the dirt and grime of their trip was magically cleansed from them.

"Rest Coal I fear we will have hard days ahead of us. The remains of our orders building lays in ruin much like our lands thank to the Wherans. Go now and rest."
    Much as Belcor's horse had vanish Coal walked several steps than vanished likewise.

Turning to Sabar Muushala inquired, "Lady Sabar, I have come from Fontel to represent the Knights Corion. If I may inquire where do you make your home?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show

I hope you don't mind if I let your characters get to know each other before moving on. Continue as long as you feel like it.

You are in a long but narrow area that forms the outer ward of Coreon Hall. It is about 20 - 25 meters wide but some of you know that it runs almost fully around the inner castle before ending at the massive gates of the Donjon, the true inner heart of Coreon Hall.

There are high walls on both sides, with battlements protecting each side and no stairs leading up on either side. The area is grassy and offers room enough for a whole herd of horses to graze.

Everything is in top condition as if recently repaired. It seems the state of the outer gates is a ruse to make the Wheron believe nothing has changed. The restauration and rebuilding must have taken a long time and cost a great deal of money.

Except for you, there is only one person in sight, Sir Randon, who let you in and is still standing atop the gate, but now looking inwards. He seems to be perfectly happy with your talking, as if he was waiting for something specific to happen.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Some of the names he has heard of from the assembled group around him and some he hasn't, as Devlin greets each in turn with a firm handshake and giving of names.

For the first time since he can remember, he feels at ease and lets his guard down a bit and relaxes, comfortable with his brothers-in-arms.

20. - Top - End - #20

Sabar responds to Muushala; "I am Sabar, a knight of Touran. I come from the trollands. My past few years I have been living in something of an exile since geradia fell."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Ascherit smiled to Kriegg, "I have been well enough. I managed to start a small academy after the orders were disbanded. Some promise in the boys I have been training. Though...I do have to admit, I didn't miss these saddles. So painful for my nethers."

He broke to let out a small chuckle before continuing"There is no need to thank me Kriegg. I did my job, and you showed promise. I am glad to see you are still alive though, so don't make me feel old before my days. Just call me Ascherit. How have your days been since we last saw one another?"

22. - Top - End - #22

"An Exile sounds awful. Perhaps now that your exile has ended, so to speak we can enjoy our time together fighting along side our fellow knights. Who exiled you? or was it self imposed?"

Muushala paused a moment,

"or perhaps it is not my place to ask such questions. I do apologize if I have offended."
    Last edited by Medic; 2012-07-18 at 08:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Dismounting as well, Mamellek replies to Belcor "You lucky thing, sharpening their swords? I'd swap for that in an instant. 10 years of having to listen to boys admitting that spying on the milkmaids changing makes their pants feel funny?"

At which point, Ascherit makes his comment about the ride hurting him in his special place.

"Or that old favourite of the older boys, 'Priest, Priest, I've been hit, kicked, scratched or bitten on my manhood! Could you Lay on Hands for me, Priest?'. I've never been quite so appreciative of what the Nuns offered me - growing up without being surrounded by adolescent boys was a tremendous blessing."

Back on the ground, Mamellek pats her horse on the rear to encourage it to wander away from the rest of the group. Unlike several of the others, hers does not disappear - it's a flesh and blood horse and completely non-magical.

To Ascherit, she offered the comment "Sounds like you need more padding on your saddle." Because after her earlier comments on the subject, she wasn't about to offer a healing spell, was she?

And finally, to Muushala, the remark "I think, apart from you, we are all either exiles or hunted fugitives in the eyes of the lands now controlled by Wheron. I'm not entirely certain - some of your faces are unfamiliar to me - but I think you are the only one of us not to fight against the Wheron Invasion. Let's just say that none of us accepted the offer to swear loyalty to Wheron and be forgiven." Some of the other Knights probably did switch sides after the end, but this group was formed entirely of those who were still loyal to the orders...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Kreig laughs lightly at Ascherit's comment. "I've been traveling the land, keeping the routes safe, the villages peaceful and the old laws remembered and followed. As much as I could, anyway." He admits. "Luckily for this cloak and my skills, shelter is wherever I wish to rest, and it is hard for one to find me, or know who me is, so I was pretty free to act as I wish."

"As for horses... I guess I have to thank my father. My fighting style isn't really fitting to horse riding, but he insisted, so my skills are pretty decent." He says as he climbs down from his mount. "Although I wish he would have come to your lessons. I don't think he ever managed to perfect his defensive style..." Kreig pauses for a second. "I am quite certain he did not make it..."

Turning to Sir Randon for a moment, Kreig asks "Are there stables inside, or should we let our horses graze?"

Kreig sighs at Mamellek's mention of fighting the invasion. "Well, I doubt his presence would have changed the tides. Perhaps it's even for the best... Even with the preparations we had undertaken they were able to take over."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Ascherit's chuckle turned into big smile as he lsitened to Mamelleck. "Can't say I'd ever let a priest lay hands on my manhood...no matter how bad it hurt. Now a young pretty priestess or nun or even nurse maid on the other hand...they can always lay hands or speak togues over my manhood. Make it feel worlds better than even if I laid hands on it." . His smile grew from ear to ear as he finished and looked around. Hopefully it got a chuckle from atleast a few of the other men.

He continued after only the briefest pause to scan the others. "Ah padding, how I miss something soft between my legs to cushion the blows of a rough ride. I think more than a few of ya can agree. I think we all miss a bit of cushion for the pushin' these days. No doubt, even you, yourself would like something a little less stifff betwixt your legs all those hours Mam. Make a long hard ride a good deal more enjoyable for ya eh?"

Chuckling like a man with one too many tankards of ale Ascherit dismounts his horse and looks to Krieg. "I am glad you have managed to keep up the fight, and survive so long where our brothers have fallen. I would have liked to have your father as I am sure he was a great man and could have learned and taught a lot to me. As for the invasion, you should know that in the end we can't win them all. Though, hopefully those of us gathered here today can give thos bastards a pain in their rears and a bitter salty taste that will never leafe their mouths'."
    Last edited by Azoth; 2012-07-19 at 03:15 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You talk shop for a while until from the direction of the Donjon a small procession of knights move into view.

Leading them is a huge man in full plate armour astride an equally huge white warhorse. The blue banner handing from his lance identify him as belonging to the Knights of Coreon.

Behind him 3 more knights ride side by side, representing the other 3 orders.

One is a woman in her late 30ies while the other 2 are men around 50 or so.

Behind them ride 20 more knights, all Coreons.

The procession stops about 5 meters from where you are and the man in the lead looks at you for a while, giving you time to react to their presence.

27. - Top - End - #27

Sabar addresses the large rider "Greetings Sir, I am Sabar Anan, Knight of Touran. I see that the order of Coreon can still muster a few lances, this pleases me. I hope that you fine men and women still uphold the set of ideals that you're order was founded upon"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Devlin nods as the riders approach, walking over to Starburst and stilling him with a hand on the back of his neck.

As he looks at the procession and sees that there are Knights of the Flame, he looks to see if any are ones that he knows or recognizes.

29. - Top - End - #29

Muushala beams to see the huge man wearing the colors of Coreon. To herself she think, "That is a knight indeed. and Praise be to Kord there are more knights then I had hoped. This is an exellent day to wear the blue of Coreon"Seeing the Knights of the other orders arrive is even more exciting for Muushala.

Seeing the monster of a man pause Muushala snaps a salute to him and puffs out her chest as if to say "Reporting for duty Sir. Please tell me where I am needed."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Mamellek was starting to wind herself up for a very sarcastic response to Ascherit's rather sexist joke... when she was interrupted by the procession. The sight of a third Knight of Mercy in their ranks was more than enough to convince her to keep her irritation to herself.

My reputation among the order is poor enough already, no need to make them think even worse of me.

"Sister Mamellek, " is how she chooses to introduce herself. It was, after all, how she was addressed by her fellow Knights the last time she *was* a Knight. "of the Knights of Mercy."

And if I'd just worn my armor I wouldn't have needed to say *that*. Or just my shield. This is why I should have worn something in my own colors...