A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Pathfinder] Old Enemies, New Alliances (OOC)

Welcome to the OOC thread. I'll be getting Links to character info from Gorthok soon enough, but here is the character info as it stands.

{table=head] Player | Character | Description |
    Gamblerjoe | Jasper Whizclatter | Halfling bard |
    Gorthok | Khrona | Samsaran oracle |
    ... | ... | ... |
    Psilulz | Amalody | Rogue / Fighter
    Stormwind | Ilmarinen Brujah | Elven magus(bladebound)
    Angstrom | Heather Pauwher | Human alchemist
    [/table]

Please pick colors other than: Black, Grey or Brown

We will begin once everyone is ready, it may be later tonight or perhaps tomorrow. I will also be copying the campaign info into this thread in case anyone needs to reference it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Pathfinder] Old Enemies, New Alliances (OOC)

Campaign Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Campaign Information
    Spoiler
    Show

200 years ago the world was a different place. Monsters roamed the land in droves, and the abundnace of Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Gnomes and Half-Orcs roamed the land in bands slaying them for challenge and profit. Many of the evil beings in the land revered the strength, cunning and sheer power of dragons. The "Adventuring Races" then decided upon a plan. They would hunt these powerful beasts to extinction, before the worship of them caused their world to fall into chaos.

As the dragons fell to the heroes of the age the power of the various monstrous races seemed to weaken. One by one they fell, their heads spiked upon great pillars to show the power of the teamwork, brains and brawn of adventurers. The last dragon fell, and that was when their plan fell apart.

Their folly came when out of the great swamp came the dragons greatest allies. The Lizardfolk had risen up a great army. This army was more than the civilized races could handle themselves. As they fought tooth and nail to save their lands from the invaders, the battle turned slowly towards the anihilation of the "adventuring races". They would gain vengeance for what had been done.

Their saviors came from an unlikely group. To the north of their lands the Hobgoblin Empire had its hands full staving off the tribes of Orcs that roam the Nomad lands, but they saw no interest in allowing potential allies to be destroyed. Their armies swept in to the aid of the "adventuring races" and together they put an end to the lizardfolk menace. They drove them deep into the swamps, and snuffed out the last of their army.

200 years have passed and the "adventuring races" are now simply known as the Conclave. Their lands are much smaller than they were in the past. The Conclave takes up only the southern portion of the continent now, where it had stretched up along the edge of the Great Swamp. The Hobgoblins now control these lands. They have rebuilt what was destroyed, and the Conclave wishes them well, including a ringing endorsement when they built their new capitol nearer the swamp, to ever keep an eye eastward on the fetid land.

The Conclave is run by two representatives of each race. Human, Halfling, Dwarf, Gnome, Half-Orc, Half-Elf, and Elf. They rule from Saltmire, a bustling port city on the eastern coast of the continent. In the past 200 years of the councils rule they have put limits on what the roaming bands of adventurers may do, and where they may go. They fear the stirring up of trouble as much as they do the monsters that roam the wilderness.

The Hobgoblin Empire is much the same. They have a strict policy that groups of people roaming the land are forbidden. If any wish to delve ruins, or seek out the dank caves of beasts in their lands, it must first be cleared with the Hobgoblin hunters guild.

The Hobgoblins themselves are now heavily embroiled in war with the Orc tribes to the north. Their rigid system of Law and Order does not allow them to turn their noses to the pillaging along their northern border, and the more troops they send into the nomad lands the more orcs flock to the war banner.

Far to the north, beyond the nomad lands the Frozen North holds many ancient wonders, but little of value to settlers. The land is populated by the Minotaur. Their furred skin enures them to the cold climate, and they keep mostly to themselves, except when they send trading ships once a year down the eatern coast, bringing Whale fat oil and more goods they have hunted and gathered, to trade with the Halflings of Rafshire.

Conclave Lands Information
    Spoiler
    Show

Saltmire is the capitol of the Conclave lands, and there the Conclave passes down their judgements and makes the laws that govern the land. The various races vote to decide their representatives, and any who wish to run for the office are able.

Elfhome is the ancestral home of the Elven race on this continent, and all manner of elves flock there.

Hammerlund is the Dwarven stronghold in the Conclave, and it produces many of the metal goods and stoneworkers that are required to keep the land safe and build structures.

Bellshill is a mostly Human town, which was destroyed in the Lizardfolk war. It has since been rebuilt.

Tinkerport is home to the Gnomes of the Conclave lands, and they also control much of the inland fishing trade from their port on the inner sea.

Grans Farthing is run by Half-Orcs. It is a homey town, which features thatch roofed cottages and many more rustic types of abodes. The people there value hardwork, and strength above all else.

Derns Landing is the home to many Halflings in the Conclave, and from there they control much of the fishing trade from the ocean. They have set up cities on two of the nearby Islands, Glunn and Rafshire, and many people of all races have moved to them for the opportunity to make a living on the shores there, fishing or tending the boats that bring in the catches.

The Story So Far
    Spoiler
    Show

Your group has been selected by the Conclave for any number of reasons to over see an important mission. Two representatives from the Conclave are traveling to the Hobgoblin capitol of Brindol to meet with Emperor Regalos Helmsdaf in regards to a formal alliance between the Hobgoblin Empire and the Conclave.

Ever since the war 200 years ago the Conclave has struggled to regain its former glory. It is now apparent that without forging a bond between the stoic Hobgoblins and their own people they will not be able to attain their old status.
    Your journey begins on the road, traveling with the two representatives onward to the Hobgoblin Capitol.

General OOC information
    Spoiler
    Show

Ok, to clarify:
    Hobgoblin Empire is Lawful Neutral.
    Conclave Lands are Neutral Good(On average)
    The Great Swamp has been fairly quiet for the past 150 years.
    The war between the Orcs and Hobgoblins seems to have escalated over the past 50 years.
    The Minotaur to the north will not come into play very much, and no you can't play as one.
    I would prefer people not to pick Hobgoblin as a race, but if you want to come up with a good character and a stunning backstory for one be my guest.
    Your job as requested by the Conclave is to take the two Representatives (a human named Wilt Badger and an Elf named Tella Vilron) and to keep them safe until they have negotiated a treaty between the Hobgoblin Empire and the Conclave.

Oh, and the Hobgoblins worship their own Gods, known as "The Triad" It consists of The Redeemer, The Avenger and The Martyr. Think Forgotten realms.

Everyone else worships the normal pantheon found in Golarion.

EDIT: Just wanted to put this in two places...no Firearms in this setting.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ilmarinen will speak in "Teal", thoughts will be in Teal.

As far as potential background links go, Ilmarinen grew up in Elfhome (possible link with Amalody), and has traveled to most of the major cities within the Conclave lands (anyone), but the last ten years has been spent in Hammerlund studying under a dwarven weapon master. He has never been anywhere outside of the Conclave lands.
    If anyone would like existing background links, then as long as they fit into the details above, I'm open to the possibility.
    Last edited by Stormwind; 2012-08-09 at 12:41 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwind View Post
    As far as potential background links go, Ilmarinen grew up in Elfhome (possible link with Amalody)...
    Wow, they're even like the same age pretty much.
    Amalody will use "Green" for her chattin', and thoughts will be italicized.
    Many thanks to Derjuin for my awesome alhoon avatar!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Sorry about not getting a sheet up before Cleavon picked players. Been busy all week with job interviews. Khrona will be speaking her mind in BLUE!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthok View Post
    Sorry about not getting a sheet up before Cleavon picked players. Been busy all week with job interviews. Khrona will be speaking her mind in BLUE!
    Yeah. Get a sheet up, Beavis.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

gratz to everyone who got in. Ill take a moment to familiarize myself with all your characters. looks like we have a nice solid group.

ill go with Indigo since that is the color of my bard dice for pnp.
    Last edited by Gamblerjoe; 2012-08-04 at 12:12 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The game will start on the road, close to the Hobgoblin capital of Brindol. You guys can have whatever connections you like.

Once everyone has posted here I'll make the IC thread and link it at the top.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Cleavon View Post
    The game will start on the road, close to the Hobgoblin capital of Brindol.
    Looking at the map there seem to be two logical paths that we might have taken:
    • Saltmire -> Relhorn -> Brindol
    • Saltmire -> Bellshill -> Helmsport -> Brindol

Which path did we take? I figure it would be useful to know the name of the last town that we would have just passed through on our way to Brindol.

10. - Top - End - #10

MindFlayer

Heather will be Dark Reding her speech.

I'll be late to the IC as I'll be on a camping trip 'til Tuesday. Sorry for the bad timing.

As always I'm open to linking up backstories with anyone but it might be difficult for the elves as Heather is 100 years younger than both of them.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Psilulz View Post
    Wow, they're even like the same age pretty much.
    Amalody will use "Green" for her chattin', and thoughts will be italicized.
    Psilulz
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you are amicable to the idea of a past connection, then I had the thought that Amalody and Ilmarinen could have been childhood friends/companions/acquaintances in Elfhome but that neither has seen the other for a long time (since we each left).
    Since they are about the same age (Amalody is 1 year older) and they are both interested in at least some similar things (fighting styles are both dex based), it could be plausible that they shared schooling too.

Thoughts?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

That's fine Angstrom. There won't be any combat for a while here, so you shouldn't miss too much.

Here is some of the information asked for, and more information you may need on your travels:

Wilt Badger
    Spoiler
    Show

Wilt is a human, who was the Mayor of Bellshill for several years before being appointed to the Council. He is a master orator, and a kind and gentle person. He sports a pot belly and wears somber colors. He is often seen as a leader for the more "Common" man.

Tella Vilron
    Spoiler
    Show

Tella is an elf. She was born in Elfhome to one of the Councils elder members. Her father retired several years ago and she took his place on the council. She is a noble in Elfhome, and is not used to travel on the road. She is more distant than Wilt, but she is known for being able to sway people who are stubborn. She is a great negotiator, and is always firm in her dealings.

You took the route of Saltmire->Bellshill->Helmsport->Brindol.

In Helmsport your coming was called, and you stayed in one of the nicest Inns in the city. They made sure to load your wagon with wine, cured meats, cheeses and the like to keep your politician friends fed on the road to Brindol.

13. - Top - End - #13

Spoiler
    Show
    If you are amicable to the idea of a past connection, then I had the thought that Amalody and Ilmarinen could have been childhood friends/companions/acquaintances in Elfhome but that neither has seen the other for a long time (since we each left).
    Since they are about the same age (Amalody is 1 year older) and they are both interested in at least some similar things (fighting styles are both dex based), it could be plausible that they shared schooling too.

Thoughts?
    I could see childhood friends working. Schooling might also be possible, as we're both more martially inclined. Do you wunna say like our familys knew each other or something? How much of a prankster is/was Ilmarinen?

14. - Top - End - #14

Psilulz
    Spoiler
    Show
    I could see childhood friends working. Schooling might also be possible, as we're both more martially inclined. Do you wunna say like our familys knew each other or something? How much of a prankster is/was Ilmarinen?
    Sounds good. Ilmarinen's family was/is quite traditional and the entire family excels and focuses on arcane magic (Wizards/witches/sorcerers/etc). When he was younger he distinctly rebelled against what his family thought he should do and study (they were completely against martial studies of any kind), so at that age he was relatively rebellious and whilst not such a prankster himself, would have be likely to accompany others on pranks (such as Amalody perhaps).
    Nowadays he's gotten to do what he wants to do, and so isn't so inclined to rebel any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Angstrom
    As always I'm open to linking up backstories with anyone but it might be difficult for the elves as Heather is 100 years younger than both of them.
    Very true, it might be plausible that Ilmarinen (or Amalody) would have met Heather's parents .. or grandparents ... depending on where she (and her parents/grandparents) grew up, but I think, at least in Ilmarinen's case, it's unlikely to have amounted to more than just a passing acquaintance, if even that. Of course if you come up with a great idea for something, it's always possible ...

15. - Top - End - #15

I don't know if anyone else is interested, but I threw together a table to get a bit of an idea of skill specialties (i.e. who's good at what), counting 'good' as a 9+ in a skill (i.e. even rolling a 1 gets you a 10+):
    {table=head] | Jasper | Khrona | Amalody | Ilmarinen | Heather

Acrobatics | | | +13 | |
    Appraise | | | | |
    Bluff | | | +10 | |
    Climb | | | | |
    Craft (alchemy) | | | | | +23
    Craft (calligraphy) | | | | +9 |
    Diplomacy | | | | |
    Disable device | | | +15 | | +12
    Disguise | | +10 | | |
    Escape artist | | | | |
    Fly | | | | +16 | +12
    Handle animal | | | | |
    Heal | | +13 | | |
    Intimidate | | | | |
    Knowledge (arcana) | +9 | | | +15 |
    Knowledge (dungeoneering) | +10 | | | +9 |
    Knowledge (engineering) | +10 | | | |
    Knowledge (geography) | +10 | | | |
    Knowledge (history) | +13 | | | |
    Knowledge (local) | +10 | | | |
    Knowledge (nature) | +9 | | | |
    Knowledge (nobility) | +10 | | | |
    Knowledge (planes) | +9 | | | +9 |
    Knowledge (religion) | +9 | +9 | | |
    Linguistics | +12 | | +11 | |
    Perception | | | +12 | +11 | +9
    Perform (Act) | +20 | | | |
    Perform (Oratory) | +20 | | | |
    Perform (Percusion) | +14 | | | |
    Profession | | | | |
    Ride | | | +9 | |
    Sense motive | | | | +9 | +9
    Sleight of hand | +12 | | +10 | |
    Spellcraft | +12 | +10 | +11 | +15 | +19
    Stealth | +14 | | +20 | | +9
    Survival | | | | |
    Swim | | | | |
    Use magic device | +18 | +12 | +10 | |
    ... | | | | |
    [/table]

I figured it would give a good overview of who is good at what, and whether there are any notable gaps. The first thing that strikes me (after noting all of Jasper's knowledge skills) is that none of us are diplomatic ... not in the slightest(Khrona actually has some diplomacy skills, but just not enough to get onto the table) - which should make things interesting

Did a similair table for languages ... boy do we have linguists in the group!!!
    {table=head] | Jasper | Khrona | Amalody | Ilmarinen | Heather

Common | x | x | x | x | x
    Dwarven | x | | x | x | x
    Elven | x | | x | x | x
    Giant | x | | x | |
    Gnome | x | | x | |
    Goblin | x | | x | x | x (Hobgoblin)
    Halfling | x | | | |
    Orc | x | | x | x |
    Samsaran | | x | | |
    Sylvan | | | x | x |
    Undercommon | | | x | |
    | | | | |
    Draconic | x | x | x | x |
    | | | | |
    Aquan | | | | |
    Auran | x | | | |
    Ignan | | | | |
    Terran | x | | | |
    [/table]
    The interesting thing here is that thus far (except for Khrona), everyone in the group can happily converse in Common, Dwarven, Elven, and Goblin. Including Khrona limits us to just Common.
    Last edited by Stormwind; 2012-08-06 at 06:03 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Plenty of languages known, that is for sure.

I'll be putting up the IC thread later this evening, once I've taken care of a few things around the house.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

IC Thread

Here is the IC Thread.

18. - Top - End - #18

Psilulz
    Spoiler
    Show

Sounds good. Ilmarinen's family was/is quite traditional and the entire family excels and focuses on arcane magic (Wizards/witches/sorcerers/etc). When he was younger he distinctly rebelled against what his family thought he should do and study (they were completely against martial studies of any kind), so at that age he was relatively rebellious and whilst not such a prankster himself, would have be likely to accompany others on pranks (such as Amalody perhaps).
    Nowadays he's gotten to do what he wants to do, and so isn't so inclined to rebel any more.
    Muahaha, I can imagine them as partners in "crime" or something, running around mischieving and such. Well, Amalody mostly, and having Ilmarinen follow and/or play lookout maybe.

19. - Top - End - #19

Are we riding or walking beside the wagon? i.e. do we have horses?
    (I'm guessing that since this is a diplomatic mission we probably do ... but it never hurts to be sure )

20. - Top - End - #20

Psilulz
    Spoiler
    Show
    Muahaha, I can imagine them as partners in "crime" or something, running around mischieving and such. Well, Amalody mostly, and having Ilmarinen follow and/or play lookout maybe.
    When Ilmarinen decides to do something, he generally goes all the way. With pranks, whilst he would be unlikely to have come up with good pranks himself, I imagine he would have fully participated in their planning and execution ...
    I have this image of the two of them causing untold havoc - running amok. Perhaps even regularly joining forces to deal with a group of arrogant slightly older students (the goodie-two shoes bullies type).

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Are we riding or walking beside the wagon? i.e. do we have horses?
    (I'm guessing that since this is a diplomatic mission we probably do ... but it never hurts to be sure )
    Whatever suits your character. If you want to ride, and did not buy a horse one is provided for you, but it isn't yours to keep. Not at the moment anyway.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Cleavon View Post
    Whatever suits your character. If you want to ride, and did not buy a horse one is provided for you, but it isn't yours to keep. Not at the moment anyway.
    Ilmarinen will ride. I think it just fits the flavor of the story better at this point. Depending on what we end up doing, perhaps he'll even end up buying the willful creature

23. - Top - End - #23

some knowledge local checks for Brindol
    Spoiler
    Show
    a strange law (DC 10) (1d20+10)[18]
    a ruler (DC 10) (1d20+10)[21]
    a popular location (DC 10) (1d20+10)[19]
    a local tradition (DC 15) (1d20+10)[21]
    a hidden organization (DC 20) (1d20+10)[26]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblerjoe View Post
    some knowledge local checks for Brindol
    Spoiler
    Show
    a strange law (DC 10) [roll0]
    a ruler (DC 10) [roll1]
    a popular location (DC 10) [roll2]
    a local tradition (DC 15) [roll3]
    a hidden organization (DC 20) [roll4]
    some results, for knowledge local checks for Brindol
    Spoiler
    Show

A Strange Law: Gambling is strictly regulated. Games of chance are only allowed within certain gambling halls and certain games are labeled as "Addictive" as such there is a law requiring gambling parlors to only contain certain numbers of sets of dice, and those dice must be kept in a locked container when not in use.

A Ruler: Regalos Helmsdaf is the Emperor of the Hobgoblin Empire. He took over as Ruler when his father, Regis Helmsdaf went ill some seven years ago. He is a strong person, and was formerly a member of the Hobgoblin Military.

A Popular Location: Oglethorpe Theater is a fairly popular spot in Brindol. It is said that the Gnomish proprietor, Oglethorpe Ornsby, is a great friend to Emperor Regalos, and put up the funds to have Oglethorpe open the theater in the capital.

A Local Tradition: Every morning in Brindol Square on the eastern side of the city the Military Colorguard practices their marching. Often the Emperor and his advisers will take a meeting at the square, discussing military matters for the day while observing the banner men.

A Hidden Organization: The Brindol Military employs a Special Forces contingent of Hobgoblins trained in Stealth and reconnaissance. They do not officially speak of this fact, but it is known to some outsiders that they employ groups of three soldiers at a time, using small specialized teams for various covert operations.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Khrona
    Female LN Samsaran Oracle, Level 7, Init +1, HP 46/46, Speed 30
    AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +8, Base Attack Bonus 5
    Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 7, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 18
    Condition None

Most Basic Sheet for Khrona... still need to spead my cash and write up them backstories

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Just...*AHEM* waiting for Jasper and Khrona to post..

27. - Top - End - #27

o snap, i still havent picked my traits. ill have to start combing through them tomorrow.

28. - Top - End - #28

I figured it would give a good overview of who is good at what, and whether there are any notable gaps. The first thing that strikes me (after noting all of Jasper's knowledge skills) is that none of us are diplomatic ... not in the slightest(Khrona actually has some diplomacy skills, but just not enough to get onto the table) - which should make things interesting
    My diplomacy, disguise, bluff, and sense motive are all equal to their associated perform checks. At level 10 ill be able to add intimidate and handle animal to that list.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Jasper
    Spoiler
    Show

From your Knowledge Local check for the special organization, you do not know who leads their special forces. You do know a lot about the Hobgoblin Military and the overall political views of the Hobgoblins in general.

The Hobgoblins follow a strict set of laws, set forth by the Emperor and his advisers. They treat law breakers fairly, and punishments are set to the type of crime committed or law broken. They are seen as fair, and strive ultimately for peace, though they understand that the chaotic nature of many creatures makes calls to arms necessary. They value allies, but are not quick to make binding treaties with those that have not proven themselves as strong and to have the same goals for orderly peace as they do.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblerjoe View Post
    My diplomacy, disguise, bluff, and sense motive are all equal to their associated perform checks. At level 10 ill be able to add intimidate and handle animal to that list.
    Ahhh ... I'd missed that. Nice