New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Cane Fighting

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Cane Fighting

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but here goes...

Can the Playground Hivemind find me any references, screenshots, videos or scenes of people fighting with Canes? For clarity, I mean the Walking Stick type of cane, for the dapper gentleman who gets attack on his way to the theatre (sic).

For a good lead off, imagine something this guy would do.
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Cane Fighting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stick_fighting should have a good place to start from.

the two that jump to mind when i think about cane fighting would be
    -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canne_de_combat, a french martial art using a walking stick
    -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bataireacht, an irish form of stickfighting

do note that the latter has an existing style called "the whisky stick dance", because the irish are crazy and their newfie descendants are just as bonkers, [deity] bless them all.
    Last edited by oxybe; 2012-08-14 at 05:41 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

not sure if movie "blind fury" would count. blind guy there has sword hidden inside his cane.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

In a few of the Soul Calibur games, one of Raphael's weapons, a cane, is very befitting to his style of fencing. I'd probably treat it as a rapier that does bludgeoning, nonlethal damage.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

It's not designed for canes, but I'd bet you could adapt Eskrima to use a cane, or two canes.

Go Tigers!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

In 1776, John Adams and John Dickinson go at it for a few seconds.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Are you looking for this just to show that it is something that happens? Because I've done some training in arnis, which is functionally similar to escrima, and quite a bit of the training was done with a cane, actually.

The second of the new Sherlock Holmes movies, A Game of Shadows, has a fight scene in which he uses an umbrella, rather than a cane, but they work very similarly, in practice.
    Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
    In the forests of the night;
    What immortal hand or eye,
    Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

-excerpt from "The Tyger" by William Blake

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

La canne has already been mentioned, Bartitsu is another one that should feature.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

A video about martial applications of an umbrella.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfcwUkb7kWI

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Wong Fei Hung and his father were fond of umbrellas, which would be functionally similar to a cane, most of the time.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Sherlock one was good, but the others were a little too hokey kung fu-ey for my tastes. Perhaps a change is in order...

Any clips, characters, moves or general inspiration I could have for the Gentlemanly Art of Fencing? Since this is for inspiration on tabletop, more "stylistic" than "two olympians jumping at each other in an ungainly fashion"... So yeah, I'm going to go Tvtropes "Flynning" but that's the idea. Fencing. Like, Raphael from Soul Caliber fencing.
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

I seem to remember an episode of Leverage where Richard Chamberlain schooled Wil Wheaton with a cane, but IIRC it was also a taser...

Check The Avengers (from England) TV series and (American) movie. Steed has to have fought someone with a cane or an umbrella at some point.