New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: General Kickstarter Thread, Mark I

Red Aegis "A millennia-spanning, strategic tabletop roleplaying game from industry award-winning designers Brian R. James and Matt James."

Brian James is the guy who compiled a fan timeline of the entire Forgotten Realms and got it published by WoTC (The Grand History of the Realms). Both of them have many other D&D credits and I'm really interested to see how this game shakes out.

I'm probably not going to pledge though.

The SAGE level pledge ($75) is the first pledge level that gets you a hard copy of the Core rulebook. There's a lower level pledge ($20) that gets you a hard copy of the Players Guide but those who want the full rules to the game have got to put out at least $75, plus shipping (an extra $34 outside the U.S.)

I really want to support them but I can't justify spending 75+ on a Core rulebook and I'm not interested in just getting the Players Guide because I actually want to run the game.

Everyone has different gaming budgets though, so if it won't hurt your wallet then definitely pledge...and then leave a comment on the KS asking for lower prices.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    The SAGE level pledge ($75) is the first pledge level that gets you a hard copy of the Core rulebook. There's a lower level pledge ($20) that gets you a hard copy of the Players Guide but those who want the full rules to the game have got to put out at least $75, plus shipping (an extra $34 outside the U.S.)
    This is not the first RPG kickstarter to kind of hit you with sticker shock.

I understand that not every KS will be Fate Core, but between this and Primeval Thule, there's several kickstarter projects I'd love to back but which ask too much for the risk involved.

Call of Cthulhu was up there too, but since it's an established product line with a deep history by a reputable company... Well, it's something less of a risk.

-O

3. - Top - End - #123
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Red Aegis "A millennia-spanning, strategic tabletop roleplaying game from industry award-winning designers Brian R. James and Matt James."

Brian James is the guy who compiled a fan timeline of the entire Forgotten Realms and got it published by WoTC (The Grand History of the Realms). Both of them have many other D&D credits and I'm really interested to see how this game shakes out.

I'm probably not going to pledge though.

I really want to support them but I can't justify spending 75+ on a Core rulebook and I'm not interested in just getting the Players Guide because I actually want to run the game.

Everyone has different gaming budgets though, so if it won't hurt your wallet then definitely pledge...and then leave a comment on the KS asking for lower prices.
    This was one of the biggest struggles we had to work with prior to going forward with the project. Our margins are already paper-thin when considering writing, editing, and art. Trust me when I say we don't want to charge more than we have to. One way we plan to mitigate this is to pile on stretch-goal benefits that will close that gap. We're a week in and about to reach funding. One reached, we can focus on making that kind of investment more worth while. My goal is to make that $75 level packed full of additional product and services. If funding continues to grow, you'll see the hard-cover version make it's way to lower level tiers.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    This was one of the biggest struggles we had to work with prior to going forward with the project. Our margins are already paper-thin when considering writing, editing, and art. Trust me when I say we don't want to charge more than we have to. One way we plan to mitigate this is to pile on stretch-goal benefits that will close that gap. We're a week in and about to reach funding. One reached, we can focus on making that kind of investment more worth while. My goal is to make that $75 level packed full of additional product and services. If funding continues to grow, you'll see the hard-cover version make it's way to lower level tiers.
    Welcome to the Jungle Playground Matt. Always nice to have game designers come here and talk about their stuff.

I figured that the high cost was one of necessity rather than greed, no worries there. What kind of additional products would be offered at the SAGE level with the stretch goals? I'm primarily interested in other physical books; even if just one other hard copy is added (players guide, adventure, etc) that would be enough to help justify the $75 cost. Two books for that amount is still expensive but they'd be new products and I expect a certain amount of price inflation due to the nature of kickstarter (need the capital to make the product in the first place).
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Welcome to the Jungle Playground Matt. Always nice to have game designers come here and talk about their stuff.

I figured that the high cost was one of necessity rather than greed, no worries there. What kind of additional products would be offered at the SAGE level with the stretch goals? I'm primarily interested in other physical books; even if just one other hard copy is added (players guide, adventure, etc) that would be enough to help justify the $75 cost. Two books for that amount is still expensive but they'd be new products and I expect a certain amount of price inflation due to the nature of kickstarter (need the capital to make the product in the first place).
    So we're looking at several things. One, we want to increase the actual size of the book. So for the same cost, you'll get an even larger sourcebook with even more material. Two, we're looking to add separate adventures and supplimental guides--not unlike ones you would find with other large publishers. Lastly, we want to include the Hacker's Guides that we speak about on the Kickstarter page. These will assist you in integrating our game with the game of your choice. So, if you wanted to integrate Red Aegis with Pathfinder (for example), we would have that included. I'm going to do everything I can to make this game both enjoyable, and affordable. The starting line is the hard part to get past at first :)
    Last edited by Matt James; 2013-07-24 at 12:17 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

The hardcopy isn't unreasonable for most kickstarters I've seen, but the PDF tier seems elevated. Not as bad as Primeval Thule (which I really want but can't justify for that price), but do you think a lower PDF tier would make up for the lower revenue in added volume?

-O

7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground

A quick update: io9 has an interview this morning with Primeval Thule designer Rich Baker. Check it out here.

Our campaign is building momentum. Only one week left if you want to get a copy of Primeval Thule for yourself--back it on our Kickstarter page here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch Dave View Post
    Our wee bairn of a company, Sasquatch Game Studio, has just launched a Kickstarter campaign for our first project: the Primeval Thule campaign setting.

Thule is a savage continent inspired by the works of Robert E. Howard (Conan) and H.P. Lovecraft (Cthulhu). Barbarians! Star-demons! Things Man Was Not Meant To Know! All that good stuff!

And it's compatible with the Pathfinder RPG, 13th Age, or 4e Dungeons & Dragons.

The lead design team is Richard Baker, David Noonan, and Stephen Schubert. Todd Lockwood is painting the cover, Christopher West is doing maps, and the stretch goals include names like Ed Greenwood, Owen Stephens, and Jason Buhlman.

Here's a quick link: http://kck.st/11dxIWq

And if you have any questions, ask away!

--Dave.
    @davidnoonan on Twitter.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Low print-run publishing is definitely a costly pursuit, yeah. On the bright side, I'd say you're pretty sure to hit your funding goal, so at least the first stretch goal appears to be a pretty reasonable target. Here's hoping you get the funding to do a big ol' print run of the hard cover!

9. - Top - End - #129
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Low print-run publishing is definitely a costly pursuit, yeah. On the bright side, I'd say you're pretty sure to hit your funding goal, so at least the first stretch goal appears to be a pretty reasonable target. Here's hoping you get the funding to do a big ol' print run of the hard cover!
    Thanks, Tyndmyr! We just hit our goal a few hours ago. Now on to some lucrative Stretch Goals!

10. - Top - End - #130
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

io9 did an interview with Brian today.

http://io9.com/control-the-epic-swee...g-ne-951335738

...and we also completed our first Stretch Goal. Now on to more!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...leplaying-game
    Last edited by Matt James; 2013-08-01 at 04:49 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stormwell View Post
    OK, a heads up about a Kickstarter for my first RPG product called Frozen Skies.

Frozen Skies is part of a new Dieselpunk campaign setting for the award winning Savage Worlds system and is set in the mysterious, frozen lands of Alyeska, it is an in-depth and informative guide to its history, geography, myths and legends. After Frozen Skies is successfully launched, further books are planned to cover a much wider setting known as the Realms of Darmonica.

The Kickstarter is intended to fund the Frozen Skies book with the view to release it as a PDF and through Print-On-Demand.

Thanks for your time and even more so if you decide to back this project, but by all means please help spread the word about it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...dieselpunk-rpg
    About a week left now.

Also of note is $32 worth of RPG maps from Fabled Environments for every backer even if they only pledge a couple of dollars.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stormwell View Post
    About a week left now.

Also of note is $32 worth of RPG maps from Fabled Environments for every backer even if they only pledge a couple of dollars.
    I pledged. Looks cool. I love Savage Worlds, too. I hope it crosses the finish line!

-O

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    I pledged. Looks cool. I love Savage Worlds, too. I hope it crosses the finish line!

-O
    Thanks!

So do I, though I'm seeing it through to the end either way.

Getting there is doable, I just need the steady increase in backers to keep going.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Banned

Daemon

I know it's not the same but Channel Awesome need help. They are the company that does TGWTG and they are making game shows. They need money to make them. 12 days left!

15. - Top - End - #135
    Pixie in the Playground

Dragon Kings Project

We're 50% funded on day 2 and we've recently added new gamer-centric funding levels.

Dragon Kings is a new fantasy game world conceived and presented in fiction, art, and music simultaneously by Timothy Brown.

Khitus is a world in decline. New heroes must emerge to challenge the wicked before all is lost …

The benevolent Dragon Kings who once ruled over Khitus have inexplicably vanished, leaving once-powerful nations at the mercy of foul creatures unchecked. Cold Skins and Krikis grow numerous and bold. Desperate cities of the Old Countries struggle against savage marauders who stalk ever closer to their crumbling walls. Ancient wizard schools guard their tomes more jealously than ever, essential to their dark sorcerous bargains, while the followers of a mysterious prophet rekindle the magic-that-is-not-magic. The essential materials of life and civilization are being ruthlessly plundered by the mysterious Pretenders in their Black Fortress, leaving the southern lands, especially, in dire straits.

Adventurers must face the wrath of a violent world to not only survive but to right these wrongs, protect the innocent, seek the fate of the Dragon Kings, and reintroduce some semblance of justice to a world on the brink of destruction.

Dragon Kings is a new fantasy game world conceived and presented in fiction, art, and music simultaneously by Timothy Brown, co-creator of Dark Sun and 2300AD.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

I am surprised this one hasn't made it here yet but Reaper is doing a new Bones Kickstarter. They are already at 1.1 million and climbing. The first one was awsome and some the new ones looke really cool as well.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Pixie in the Playground

Reaper Miniatures is doing another Bones kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...rn-of-mr-bones

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Hey Guys,

Orange County Gaming Group (OCGG) is on it's last day of funding for a project to create custom music, sound effects, and voice overs for
    Tabletop Gamers, called the Realmsound Project 2.0. They're funded and are working through their stretch goals. I'm loving the idea of their custom soundboard app where I can organize and mix all of my audio in particular. Anyway, details below.

Quote from their KS:
    "Often using an OST from Lord of the Rings or other great movies just doesn’t quite set the particular setting that the GM is striving for. It’s not easy finding a sorrowful howl of an undead or the ground shaking thunder of a charging orc hoard. Trying to change your voice just a little bit or adding an accent to try to bring some life to those non-player characters gets tiring and falls a bit flat. Everything changes now! We are the Orange County Gaming Group and we are bringing tabletop gaming to the next level by composing a library of custom made, high quality music, voice overs, and sound effects, made by rockstar talent. What we have sourced has been unbelievable and has transformed the way we game, but don’t take our word for it….."

Name: The Realmsound Project 2.0
    URL: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...und-project-20
    By: The Orange County Gaming Group
    Goal: $5,000 (FUNDED!)
    Ends: October 8th, 12:57am EDT
    What: Professional Custom Music, Sound Effects, and Voice over for Tabletop RPG gamers
    Pledges: $5 Thank You, $15 Iron Pack: 9 SFX, $25 Steel Pack: 18 new SFX + All Previous, $30 Copper Pack: 4 Merchant Scripts and 6 Infernal
    Language VO scripts + All Previous, $40 Bronze Pack: 3 new VO scripts + All Previous, $50 Silver Pack: 4 Music tracks + All Previous, $60 Gold Pack: 2 New Music tracks + All Previous, $75 Platinum Pack: The Soundboard w/ SFX Stretch Goals 1 + All Previous, $90 Diamond Pack Early Bird: Music and FX Stretch Goals 1 + All Previous, $95 Mithral Early Bird: All Stretch Goals + Previous, $100 Adamantium Pack Early Bird: All Stretch Goals + All Previous, $250+ Party Member: Sponsor your own audio track + All Previous

19. - Top - End - #139
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Reaper Bones 2 Kickstarter!

Only 8 days to go in the Reaper KS! We have giant rats, a Kraken, new sculpts, new dragons, new mouslings and coming soon a dragon with ruins sculpt that has been teased and looks amazing. Did I mention the Kraken? Currently for your cost to get the full core set you are paying less than $1 per mini and it will only get better. Go to the KS check out the latest Vid update, check out all the cool stuff you can get and Pledge! Pledge! Pledge!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...rn-of-mr-bones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=kXPxGcIL0gA

20. - Top - End - #140
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I was really annoyed with myself for missing the first bones KS, will have to check this one out...
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Already pledged, but yeah, that does look pretty sweet.

I'm kinda torn about some of the add-ons, though. Like #3 has awesome looking models, but $50 for those four models seems rough.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    I just wanted to post that the Pro Audio Collection for RPG, Board Game, LARP & Miniatures I mentioned some posts earlier*, just got relaunched and got way more awesomer in my opinion.

Basic deals are now 25$ for either at least 76 weapon/spell tracks, 125 monster/trap tracks or 50 background/music tracks. Or just 50$ for all + some extras.

Here's a new link: Pro Tabletop Gaming Audio Collection

*(I'm not sure if this counts as a reminder or not - I thought not since it is technically a new Kickstarter, but if someone thinks this is, I will remove this post)

I dropped in to point to the (in my opinion really good) Pro Audio Collection for RPG, Board Game, LARP & Miniatures:

The projects aims to add background sounds and sound effects suitable for RPG gaming.
    In my opinion the highlights are the background sounds, they are each 10min long and designed to be loop-able (so you don't notice if the track is on repeat) - and the $35 level gets you at least 47 tracks.

I'm really satisfied with the rewards from the first one Kickstarter he did earlier this year (for reference Professional MP3 Background Loops for Role-Playing Games), so I can only suggest to check out the actually running Kickstarter to get new background sound (Some of the planned background tracks are: "Horror House Basement", "Angry Pichfork Mob" and "Robot Patrolled Hellscape", with sounds for weapons (e.g "Clubs"), spells (e.g. "Fireball") and monsters (e.g. "Dragons"))
    Last edited by ChristianSt; 2013-10-26 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Porject relaunched

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Already pledged, but yeah, that does look pretty sweet.

I'm kinda torn about some of the add-ons, though. Like #3 has awesome looking models, but $50 for those four models seems rough.
    I was happy to see them split out the sci-fi from the fantasy, but yes, it doesn't look like enough new pledges are interested to give Expansion 3 its real value. I really hope Expansion 2 Part 3 comes through at least, I really want those purple minis and am already basically sold on Expansion 2.

Would be fantastic if we saw a rush in the last days, though.

I got in at Wave 6 shipping, but someone fiddling with their pledge opened a spot in Wave 2. Very pleased. Really looking forward to the outcomes in any event; $100 for that core set is still a ridiculous bargain.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    I got in at Wave 6 shipping, but someone fiddling with their pledge opened a spot in Wave 2. Very pleased. Really looking forward to the outcomes in any event; $100 for that core set is still a ridiculous bargain.
    While I must say the core set deal is really awesome, and I have at the moment a spot in Wave 1, I think ultimately I will drop out mainly because of International shipping.

I backed the first Kickstarter and I can say I was satisfied with it, but I think for gaining the same value I would need to spend nearly the double amount (Higher shipping [also resulting higher import fees], and from my point of view there is no "free $25" for addons in form of the Sophie-swap [and luckily selecting Kaladrax for it, which was a really good choice]).
    But maybe something will happen that convinces me to stay in, I'm not sure yet.

Problems with [table]?
    The Order of the Stick

Thanks!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Pixie in the Playground

Last 3 days are here. Roughly $40,000 needed to the next goal of Mashaaf.

Here's what you get for your core pledge of $100 so far, not shown is Mr. Bones, Pathfinder Villains, 2 sizes of Bases and a new Sophie figure. If that is too rich for ya check out the core expansion for $50 that can be added to the base pledge of $1. Remember Core and Expansions are just going to get bigger as the pledge numbers mount.

Last edited by prophetic_joe; 2013-10-23 at 05:23 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Sooo... I want that Baphomet now. Not sure what I'll do with a dracolisk; that's pretty obscure by any standard and too small to be a behir.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Barbarian in the Playground

Very pleased with Bones 2 so far. Probably getting that freaky worm monster and maybe the 2nd expansion.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

I just wanted to post that the Pro Audio Collection for RPG, Board Game, LARP & Miniatures I mentioned some posts earlier*, just got relaunched and got way more awesomer in my opinion.

Basic deals are now 25$ for either at least 76 weapon/spell tracks, 125 monster/trap tracks or 50 background/music tracks. Or just 50$ for all + some extras.

Here's a new link: Pro Tabletop Gaming Audio Collection

*(I'm not sure if this counts as a reminder or not - I thought not since it is technically a new Kickstarter, but if someone thinks this is, I will remove this post)

Problems with [table]?
    The Order of the Stick

Thanks!

29. - Top - End - #149
    Pixie in the Playground

Anybody not in the Bones 2 Kickstarter needs to get in now. 3 hours left and it is getting amazing and a super deal. Why do you have to have this you ask? Because Tarrasque that is why.

Oh and did I mention Dragons Don't Share 2

30. - Top - End - #150
    Pixie in the Playground

I've just launched a new Kickstarter, and it has flown past its goal.

Location Cards is a set of two decks of fantasy locations, one for rural areas and the other for cities and towns; so that when your players inevitably take a detour into uncharted territory, you can be ready for it.

A couple of sample cards:

Rural:

Urban:

It also offers another opportunity to pick up our previous project, Character Cards

Sample Character:
    Check out Plot Hooks, a Kickstarter for GMs whose players ignore the plot...