New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default General Crowd-funding Thread, Mark I

The Mod Wonder:

This is the Crowdfunding thread for Media Discussions. In it, you will find discussion and promotion of crowd-funded projects related to video projects, books, and the like. Crowd-funding drives for art and jewelry will be found in Arts and Crafts, while those for games can be found in General Role-playing or Gaming (Other).

As a semi-permanent and structured thread, there are two rules that need to be addressed.

Rule 1. All other board rules apply. Do not flame, do not double post, do not troll. If a crowd-funding project breaks any of the board rules (e.g. explicit materials, political or religious in nature), it will be deleted, and the person posting it will receive the appropriate warning or infraction.

Rule 2.Posting crowd-funding plugs. You may post one initial link to your crowd-funding drive, explaining the project; for our purposes, you "own" any project you post the initial link to, whether you're the creator or not. When the project is at a week or less remaining, you may post another reminder of it. You may, of course, join in any discussion of it, though we encourage that to move to the crowd funding site, itself. Do not spam the thread with reminders; if people talk about it, they talk about it.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2015-06-27 at 07:44 AM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Kickstarter Thread, Mark I

So... I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but it IS about the right sort of Kickstarters, so here it goes!

I was considering doing a Kickstarter for a video series I'm planning on making. I have what I need to make it right now, however... the extra money of a successful Kickstarter could be incredibly useful, going to better equipment, hiring a special effects artist, better props and sets, and the like. I can do it now, but a Kickstarter could allow me to make it better.

So I was wondering what the Playground thinks is good and useful for a Kickstarter to have! I'd rather do no Kickstarter project than a bad one, but hey, talking about what's good and what's bad in film Kickstarters even in general might not be a bad discussion.
    Assassin avatar by the awesome Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 0Megabyte View Post
    So... I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but it IS about the right sort of Kickstarters, so here it goes!

I was considering doing a Kickstarter for a video series I'm planning on making. I have what I need to make it right now, however... the extra money of a successful Kickstarter could be incredibly useful, going to better equipment, hiring a special effects artist, better props and sets, and the like. I can do it now, but a Kickstarter could allow me to make it better.

So I was wondering what the Playground thinks is good and useful for a Kickstarter to have! I'd rather do no Kickstarter project than a bad one, but hey, talking about what's good and what's bad in film Kickstarters even in general might not be a bad discussion.
    I'd say go for it but be clear on why you need the kickstarter to happen, then set a reasonable goal for what you would need to really step your production up a notch.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

So, have you guys seen that Kickstarter for an X-Men Fan Film?
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: General Kickstarter Thread, Mark I

Well, time to dust off this thread for an Indiegogo campaign presented by Fair Trade Toronto, an organization for, well, fair trade, that is based in Toronto. It's rather a self-explanatory name. If you don't know why fair trade is a big deal, then you should check this campaign out, because it's for a beautifully-illustrated children's book about fair trade.

Personally, I don't care about fair trade, because I am a horrible person. But a couple of the rewards include a super sweet knitted hat, and like any TF2 player, I can't resist limited edition headwear.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not involved with the campaign, but it's being run by one of my friends, who is doing it on a completely volunteer basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Black Sheep Productions, the crew behind the Star Wars fanfilms TROOPS and IMPS: The Relentless are running an IndieGoGo campaign for the fourth chapter of IMPS. If you've never seen their work, it is both hilarious and visually stunning, and can be viewed for free at their website. I highly recommend it. Their campaign is approaching its final day, and is still short of the funding goal. I encourage anyone who's interested to chip in. The campaign page is here.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I didn't see a Kickstarter thread dedicated to comics/webcomics specifically, so I'll put it here.

Dresden Codak's Kickstarter for the first print collection just went live a little over an hour ago and is already funded. It's a beautiful comic and one of my favorites, so I'm glad to see it being successful so quickly. This collection includes the first main story arc (Hob) and many (all?) of the one-shot/short series comics from the first 5 years of publication (up through the beginning of the current story, Dark Science).
    Last edited by WalkingTarget; 2013-02-25 at 09:44 PM.
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTarget View Post
    Well, I didn't see a Kickstarter thread dedicated to comics/webcomics specifically, so I'll put it here.

Dresden Codak's Kickstarter for the first print collection just went live a little over an hour ago and is already funded. It's a beautiful comic and one of my favorites, so I'm glad to see it being successful so quickly. This collection includes the first main story arc (Hob) and many (all?) of the one-shot/short series comics from the first 5 years of publication (up through the beginning of the current story, Dark Science).
    It's time like these that I wish I had disposable income. I love that comic.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm gearing up a kickstarter project to expand my duck farm, should that go in arts and crafts?

11. - Top - End - #11

I certainly don't think it goes into Media Discussions, unless you're putting out movies of baby ducklings. I recommend sending a PM to a moderator, they usually reply pretty quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGuy

Gaming In Color: The Queers & Gaymers of the Pixelated World

Looks like they're trying to do a documentary on LGBT/QUILTBAG/Queer Gamers and the broadening of gamer culture.

I think this may be of interest to others. I certainly find the idea interesting on the surface level at least.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2013-03-09 at 10:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTarget View Post

Not sure why it needs to be advertised if it's already funded...

Unless additional funding will somehow make the author actually get back to making his webcomic?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Hello everybody :)

Some weeks back there was a topic here about "The Reward", a short film created at The Animation Workshop which is heavily inspired by DnD and anime's such as Mindgame and FLCL. The film is an epic, 9-minute 2D short about friendship, bromance, humor and adventure.

For those who haven't watched yet, here's a link: http://vimeo.com/58179094

And link to the topic on this forum: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269416

The directors of the short have recently started their own animation studio SunCreature, and have launched a kickstarter campaign to raise money to create a series based on "The Reward", it's humor, world and characters.

Here's a link to the kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...hrion?ref=live

If you'd like to see more stories from the world of "The Reward", please help by donating any amount you'd like, and by spreading the word. :)
    Last edited by KarenB88; 2013-03-10 at 11:12 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Default The Reward: now with Kickstarter!

The creators of the epic fantasy short film The Reward are now trying to get funding for a web series in the same world with a Kickstarter here.

The old thread about The Reward kind of devolved into just an argument about whether it was sexist. I'd like to head that off here by pointing to the creators' message on that very topic:

Spoiler
    Show
    Vito and Wilhelm are very much boys and therefore we wanted to caricature their idea of "cool" and "epic". A lot of our inspiration is from the classic "Conan" and old school fantasy where the heroes always have a lady at hand while slaying mighty beasts. That iconic cliché of fantasy and "Epic" was what we wanted to make fun of and stylize in the short film and that's why we chose to use ladies as a way of showing Vito and Wilhelms vision of being “epic”. It's just as much making fun of the male idea of what makes you masculine and awesome as it is making fun of the female image.

An early idea we never got to use in the short was how Wilhelm got inspired to become a warrior. They were meant to be ambushed by goblins and as they were about to get killed a lady would jump in and save them. She was meant to be a super cool gal with attitude who Wilhelm got a crush on and therefore got inspired to be as powerful as her. We didn't include this because of time issues but we liked her character a lot.

The series will be focusing on many different characters and most likely we will be having female leads as well. This will mean more diverse female characters with more depth instead of “more boobs”.

It all depends on who is the main character and what their journey is about. That was the reason for choosing the way we used females in "The Reward" and it really depends on what tells the best story. None of us are against female rights and "The Reward" just as much makes fun of the male self image as the female.

Now go throw your money at them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Reward: now with Kickstarter!

I WILL GO ROB A BANK!

That was like the ONLY thing people complained about in the first one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

The original short video was really fun. I'll be looking forward to this.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Yay! I really, really, really enjoyed the short.

And now there is going to be a series!?!?!

AWESOME!!!!!!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Is it going to be about a torn, tattered treasure map being constantly handed down from one generation of adventurers to the next?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    Is it going to be about a torn, tattered treasure map being constantly handed down from one generation of adventurers to the next?
    Well, sort of:

What happens to the map and the people involved after Wilhelm and Vito pass it on to a new generation? How did the map come to be, and what is the story of the great mirror and the treasure behind it? Who is the character amongst all the treasures at the end, and why is he holding the treasure chest so tightly?
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi!
    My fiance and I have launched our first kickstarter campaign for our Game App iFrogger http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...nture-game-app
    iFrogger is the Ultimate fly catching machine that dodges his arch enemy the Kamikaze fly while trying to catch all the zippy and goofy flies on earth! We created the first 6 levels of iFrogger and released the game for the iPhone an iPad on March 1st. It is fun game for kids and the entire family! We launched a kickstarter campaign so we can make the rest of the 24 levels and be able to port over to windows, android and other platforms.

Heidi
    Last edited by iFrogger; 2013-03-19 at 06:43 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Kickstarter for Job Hunters Season 2

Edit: Not my project but I suppose I ought to say something about it rather than just leaving a link- set in a Dystopian world heavily inspired by the hunger games, Job Hunters sets out to combat overpopulation by pitting graduates against each other in the arena as they wait for job offers.
    Last edited by Mercenary Pen; 2013-03-24 at 01:54 PM.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

This seriously needs support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Did my part! I really hope they capture the feel of the original short.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Did you guys know that they now have a The Reward game as well?!?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeburn View Post
    Did you guys know that they now have a The Reward game as well?!?
    Cool! Unfortunately, I don't have anyone to play it with, and I failed miserably at playing both guys at once.

On a brighter note, they're almost completely funded!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

The Reward was fully funded! They've now annouced two stretch goals:
    • $130,000: comic featuring the three thugs
    • $160,000: A basic pen and paper campaign setting, in "The Reward" universe.
    63 hours to go, as of this post.

Sadly, my browser crashed when trying to play the game.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

28. - Top - End - #28

So here is as good a place as any.

Delta City is known as one of the greatest cities of scientific achievement on the planet. Their inventions help make the world a better place….as long as it’s in their hands. But as fame and fortune often do crime of every shape and size fell upon the city and threatened to tear the city apart from within….

In their desperation the people of Delta City cried out to their maker, they asked for angels, they prayed for saviors, what they received…
    An IRL friend of mine is looking to publish his comic book series he calls Guardians. However publishing, printing, and his small team of artists...that stuff costs money, so he's looking to Kickstarter to get his dream started. Seriously, he's a good guy, and the least I can do is spread the word around about this project. I'm not asking for donations, but anything you can do would be appreciated, especially if you can get the word around the internet and comic book community about this.

Kickstarter links provided above, and in my sig
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2013-04-04 at 12:31 AM.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Seven days left to join Veronica Mars Movie Kickstarter.

They just reached 4 million money so far.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-movie-project

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Final total for The Reward: $142,987 of a $115,000 goal. They reached the Comic stretch goal but not the RPG stretch goal.