New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: General Kickstarter Thread, Mark I

Well, I might as well post a link to this project known as "Paper Chain" I may be involved in soon. It's about the various generations of a family in the history of the future.

Of course, it's likely not got much funding because of how vague it is, and the creator told me as much when we talked about it. So, let me share with you a bit more information about it that he told me face-to-face:

-The basic idea behind it is that the future is not going to change in the ways we think it will, but will change in plenty of other ways.

-The main technologies involved in the plot will be nanotech, virtual reality (Done in polygon-y CGI because budget), space colonization (to mars specifically), and transhumanism/life-extention.

-The use of special effects will be relatively subtle, but also omnipresent.

-It's going to be influenced by the works of Alejandro Jorodowski, bending the rules of conventional storytelling. If you have no idea what his stuff is like, take a look at the trailer for "The Holy Mountain" to get an idea of his style.

-He's already got a cameraman/cinematographer and special-effects artist lined up for the project.

If you can, throw a few bucks this project's way, or if not then spread the world. I'm a Tusconan born and raised, and one who wants to go into genre film, and so I do want to throw whatever support I can the way of any Tusconan genre films that I can. So, could you guys help out?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

smile Re: General Kickstarter Thread, Mark I

Hi, I'm running a Kickstarter for my fantasy novel Magic's Shadow (http://tiny.cc/MSkickstarter), which is based on the adventures/misadventurers of a band of "heroes" that I DMed for, ending May 1st. The story is full of gamer humor and revolves around a group of sometimes not so heroic adventurers that have to save the world while trying not to kill each other or be captured by the "authorities".

Some of the backer rewards include the book itself of course, custom character art for your own character, a RPG that ties into the story and is a mystery set in haunted ruins, original short stories, DMing by the author (AKA me), and more. The first 3 chapters are up on my blog (www.MagicsShadow.com) along with other random musings, character art, and excerpts. Please check my project out!

Thanks,
    Sascha Zamani
    www.MagicsShadow.com

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Also, if anyone has any good suggestions for how to get more people to look at kickstarter projects, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Sascha Zamani
    www.MagicsShadow.com

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zamani View Post
    Also, if anyone has any good suggestions for how to get more people to look at kickstarter projects, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Sadly, it may come down to buying adspace, and emailing news sites and fan circles.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    Sadly, it may come down to buying adspace, and emailing news sites and fan circles.
    Also, building hype, which requires that you already have a dedicated following.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks,
    Try submitting it to Reddit, on /r/kickstarter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Thanks,
    Relying on finding more people after launching a Kickstarter campaign is doing it wrong. The funding calculations should always be based on what you know of the current fan base and how well they'll respond. If not enough people know about it before you launch, then you'll need to spend more time building that fan base first.

I've been doing a lot of research into how various people have garnered a following and then turned it into a business, and for the most part, it means releasing free quality content on a regular basis over an extended period of time. Only then will there perhaps be a critical mass of people following the project for there to be interest in a product they'll wish to buy.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Found this on IndieGoGo. The project is trying to fund a sequel to Iron Sky.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

A friend of mine is trying to create an EP of geeky parody music- his Indiegogo campaign is here if anyone's interested.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

So I'm going to post it here even though it's Indiegogo rather than Kickstarter because this is the designated place for crowdfunding projects and such to be made known.

So this project is meant to secure the funds to distribute copies of a facsimile of the 1850 edited edition of the Wycliffe Bible (the first full translation of the Bible into English) to several libraries (while simultaneously allowing copies to be made and sent to backers).

If you're interested in the history of Biblical translation, this is a great project.
    If you're a medieval scholar, this is a great project.
    If you just really like Bibles, this (might be) a great project.

Now, you might look at the price tag for the first reward level to offer a copy of the Bible ($250) and say "Holy crap, that's expensive!"

It feels a lot less expensive when you learn that there are two copies of the original printing of the 1850 edition on the market right now, priced at or above $5000, doesn't it? The 1850 edition has been out of print now for over 150 years, and few libraries carry a copy. This project will get new facsimiles out there and make the Wycliffe Bible more accessible to scholars than it has been in decades.

I think that's everything.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Crowdfunding for a bunch of classic anime to get DVD releases.

Includes the likes of BlackJack, Tekkaman, Creami Mimi, and Yatterman

http://animesols.com/
    Last edited by turkishproverb; 2013-05-29 at 05:12 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    A friend of mine is trying to create an EP of geeky parody music- his Indiegogo campaign is here if anyone's interested.
    This project just met its funding goal, but there are a few hours remaining, so if anyone fancies an EP of geeky parody songs- by all means get involved.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

Our family just launched our Kickstarter Project ... "It Has Begun" ...

A music project accompanied by a CG video. We'd really appreciate your help in spreading the word, and share our world with yours! If you have any questions please email us at... [email protected]

Click here to go to our Kickstarter: http://kck.st/12R4aJC

Last edited by carlmangine; 2013-08-01 at 03:39 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hey folks. Some friends of mine have been working really hard to release a prologue to a D&D inspired web-series entitled, One Hit Die. The videos went live on the 12th of august, and you should give them a watch! So this is just getting started and they need all the help they can get. I've been in some live shows, with one of the actresses before, and I can vouch for her being an excellent, upstanding person, (if you are worried about giving money to strangers.)

They're running a campaign to gather funding on IndieGoGo, to produce the first season.

Here's a link to their website: http://onehitdie.com
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/OneHitDi...?feature=watch
    and the IndieGoGo page: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/one-hit-die-season-1

If you like it consider give them a something, as the funds go to them regardless of whether they reach their goal. So even if they end up a bunch short they may be able to piece together another episode while they wait for more funding from other sources.

Thanks for your time!
    -Celtois

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Hello playground!

Rich's amazing success with the Order of the Stick Kickstarter program has been on my mind ever since I first saw it, and I've been inspired to follow in his proverbial footsteps (which I suppose are those giant footsteps in the sand up above there). I'm beginning a self-publishing career, and I'm starting with something simple: a short story I'm publishing as an ebook.

I'm holding a Kickstarter fundraiser to raise money to hire a professional cover artist for the ebook. If the project is successful, I'll also be using funds from it to self-publish a full length novel, titled "Manifestation." The short story is currently written, revised, and formatted, and is just in need of a cover. The novel is written and in the process of revisions (I've been working on it for the past year), and will need professional editing and cover art. If the Kickstarter is especially successful, I'll be using some of the funds to hire a professional independent copy editor.

As one of the rewards for the Kickstarter, I'm offering ghostwriting services to backers at certain pledge levels. What this means is that in exchange for your support, I'll write you a story of your choice, which you will own the rights to (meaning you can publish it yourself if you wish).

I'm a professional writer with a degree in the Writing Arts from Rowan University. If you'd like to see samples of my previous writing work before considering backing the project, there are stories posted on my blog. I also have flash fiction short stories posted elsewhere online, as well as a poem published in an online ezine. I've also been doing freelance ghostwriting professionally since I graduated college, though this is my first venture into the self-publishing industry.

If you're interested, take a look, and consider making a pledge. The ebook itself is available for as little as a $1 pledge, so even a small bit of support will be enough.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Tock Zipporah; 2013-08-19 at 08:20 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Loading Ready Run is holding a Kickstarter to fund their 11th year of weekly sketch comedy videos. They've posted a new original video EVERY Monday for 10 years now (since before YouTube was even a thing), and they've declared that 2014 will be the last year they do this.

They still have several other contracted projects with Penny Arcade, The Escapist, Wizards of the Coast, and others, so they aren't going away, just growing up and trying to get the business on a firmer footing.

Day one, and they've already reached $48,000 of their $135,000 goal (in Canadian $ since they're based in Victoria).
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Firbolg in the Playground

A friend of mine by the name of Bonnie Scott is making her first short film, and is running a Kickstarter campaign to fund it. She's an avid medieval reenactor as well as a student of Celtic folklore and huge fan of faeries, and the film, entitled Shadows of the Shadows, is intended to be in the style of old fairy tales and Arthurian legend, centering around a knight lost in an enchanted forest. The costume design is gorgeous, and I personally an auditioning for the part of the Narrator, so here I am to plug it. Please consider. She says to feel free to laugh at her Kickstarter video.

Edit: And can we please do something about that screen-stretching picture? I mean, wow, I run high resolution widescreen and it's even doubling in width for me.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2013-10-10 at 05:34 PM.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

SAM SWEETMILK NEEDS HELP! Its like a Kickstarters Guide too the Galaxy type thing.

It needs a MAJOR push to survive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pa...t-pennsylvania

A friend of mine has a record they're trying to fund. Coming close to the deadline (and sorry I didn't post this earlier...I'm a terrible friend!) and less than $800 to go! If you like surf, electronic music and rock, you'd like these guys. I've heard most of the new record and it's pretty awesome!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Firbolg in the Playground

The unofficial Calvin & Hobbes sequel comic, Calvin and Company, is raising money to continue the run of the comic. The fundraiser is on Indiegogo, here. If you haven't read the comic, I highly recommend it; it may be found here.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Gonna put out a call for Bee and Puppycat, since it's down to a week, and still hasn't quite met its goal.

Well, what is it? It's a new animation designed by Natasha Allegri, the girl behind the Fionna and Cake episode of Adventure Time. The series is about a unemployed 20-something called Bee, and a mysterious cat/puppy that may also be a space-anime prince. Together, they take weird temp jobs in a bizare universe. Fans of Adventure Time or Bravest Warriors will probably find something to love in the trippy design of the series, and it's pretty funny too.

There's a ten minute episode you can watch on youtube here which should help you decide if you want to support this project.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-action-series

They are trying to make a live movie based on the Knights of the Dinner Table comic book. The author of the comic is helping out so it should be good.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

How about a Christmas themed Kickstarter project?

I was poking about Kickstarter and ran across this project to create an animated story called Santa Company where a group of friends who work for a corporate version of Santa Claus decide to answer a "flawed" letter to Santa/request for a gift.

It looks like a cute and sweet, kid-friendly show and it doesn't need much more to be fully funded. I'd love to see it hit the $150,000 stretch goal too.

Just in time for the holidays right?
    Lich needs coffee badly.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by holywhippet View Post
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-action-series

They are trying to make a live movie based on the Knights of the Dinner Table comic book. The author of the comic is helping out so it should be good.
    I agree. I just found out about this through the magazine and checked to see if it was mentioned here. I'm a big fan of KenzerCo and I plan to support this. Thank you for posting it before I could.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2013-12-25 at 09:57 AM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Some guys from my home town (that I've never met) are making an 80's-style action comedy, Kung Fury. The trailer is promising.

Kung Fury on Kickstarter
    Yay!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

I have nothing to do with it, but bumped ino this whilst browsing kickstarters. It looks like a fun game that mixes both using a smartphone app and physical boardgame elements with cheating and deceit
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e?ref=category
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

27. - Top - End - #57
    Bugbear in the Playground

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-animated-film

This guy. DIY CGI sci-fi/fantasy film. Very impressive work! Not me or anyone I know, but posted on a filmmaker board I frequent. Caught my eye and figured it might do the same around here!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Halfling in the Playground

Came across this:
    Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians

It's a tactical RPG being made with Yasumi Matsuno (Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle, etc.)

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

so.. apparently Kung Fury is an actual kickstarted project, and not a joke trailer.

it's like watching Bill and Ted's excellent adventure mixed with Karate Kidd and played straight by Charlie Sheen from his glory days in Hot Shots.

I'm not sure what to think of it.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

The WAKFU Kickstarter!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...eries?ref=live

Okay, I don't know if folks here are fans of Wakfu, so let me toss in a few words of explanation.

There is a French animation studio called Ankama. Ankama makes video games and cartoons. The cartoon in question is called 'Wakfu' and it is a gorgeously animated and very pretty show.

Stylistically, Wakfu is like a mix between Anime and Disney.

The story is set in the game universe of Dofus, and involves an adventuring party going out on epic quests. There are monstrous bad guys and yes, dragons.

HOLY COW, the DRAGONS. :D

The Kickstarter is fully funded after three days, so this is a lead-pipe cinch.

The prices for Blu-Ray disks alone are incredibly good:

When the pledges reach 200,000 Canadian dollars, you will be getting 52 full half-hour HD blu-ray episodes for about 65 cents each. Wow. Gotta love the French. :)

This is an incredible deal, folks. If you love games you will adore the Brotherhood of Tofu, and the show is just beautiful.
    Roy Greenhilt: All leaders should aspire to his greatness!