New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Nah, nah. I should have thought to set up defenses in year one. Blame it on me
    I will never blame kpenguin.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    We're fiiine. Sealed up we're invincible. Just wait for the siege to end or build a safe marksdwarf area and shoot at will.
    Alright. I might just a summary post at the end though, since it's entirely too tedious to mention each and every death.

Have a journal entry in the meantime.
    Journal of Trisit "Grif" Lisidreg, resident Miller
    4th Hematite
    Someone annouced that our moody craftsdwarf made an artifact... Unfortunately, the craftsdwarf was murdered soon after.

22nd Hematite
    Yikes! Someone tried to punch me in the face! I was fortunate to escape with my life! I don't know how much more I can take this...

4th Malachite
    You know what. **** this. I'm going to brain me some dwarves. Yes..... brainsssss.......

*several pages of torn pages.*

Spoiler
    Show

(Yes. That's all coffins. And there's still a lot more unburied bodies.)

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ettin in the Playground

Map here.

Save here.

*several torn pages later*

Journal of Tulon Otsusdomas, Carpenter
    I write this here in hopes that our achievements here would not be lost to the mists of time should we all perish.

The past year has been... trying, to say the least. Between the goblins, the insane and ghosts, we have lost nearly two-thirds of our number. We now could only count on a mere 23 heads, a far cry from 82 we had last year. We would have more, but then the vile goblins arrived at the head of two siege parties and slaughtered many more of our kin.

We have sealed up the entrance to stave off the siege. So far, it has worked; they were unable to breach the entrance. But we also sealed our own doom, I fear. Though we have stocks of food and drink to last us for many seasons, mysterious deaths continues to stalk our halls. Just last month, we found our ranger dead on the stairwell. No one knows how he died, though he seemed strangely pale.

Despite the tragedy that now surrounds the fort, we continue on. We have dug out what we hope we can call our new quarters. Hopefully, we can move our homes down by the next year. We continue to delve deeper into the stone in search of precious metals. Maybe, maybe with dwarven steel, we might be able to drive these goblins off. But first, we need ore. Which we have no obtained yet, unfortunately.

I leave it to our next overseer to lead us forward. Mayhaps we might still live through this.

OOC Notes:
    - I have forbidden (almost) every item outside and assigned the dorfs to a burrow covering the interior of the fort. (via the military alert) If you find a dorf mysteriously not digging or carrying out a job, check the burrows and assign accordingly.
    - We have plenty of food, drinks and a well setup.
    - I believe there's a vampire loose in the fort. It would be beneficial to root him out as soon as possible.
    - Finding metal ores are probably our top priority now. Lack of steel is going to doom us in the long run.
    - There is also a forgotten beast roaming about somewhere in the cavern. Watch out for him if you wish to open the cavern.

Screenshots:
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, and the forgotten beast:
    Last edited by Grif; 2012-11-27 at 09:50 PM.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Being of made of crystal glass, that FB is fragile as all hell and will probably go down in one hit. The poison gas is probably a bigger issue, especially if the affliction it carries is contagious.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

Excellent, we live!

Please post within 24 hours if you would want the next turn.

As usual, I will be available should no new players be.

I'd think the best bet with the glass beast would be ranged attack; minimize the risk of infection.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

Why not, I'll volunteer for next turn. I promise to not intentionally destroy the fort even.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Bugbear in the Playground

I would like to express my interest after Wookietanks turn if I'm allowed to use my Phoebus tileset... I don't think that it changes much except the screen shots. I just can't play the game without at least a rudimentary graphic.
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    I would like to express my interest after Wookietanks turn if I'm allowed to use my Phoebus tileset... I don't think that it changes much except the screen shots. I just can't play the game without at least a rudimentary graphic.
    Well, Wookie is signing up for a slot, he doesn't get the next turn automatically, unless you were wanting to avoid playing this next turn. We've been rolling for the turn amongst interested players.

With the rules I'm going with for turn order, actually, you'd have priority over Wookie, as you haven't played one yet.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-28 at 10:37 AM.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Wookie is signing up for a slot, he doesn't get the next turn automatically, unless you were wanting to avoid playing this next turn. We've been rolling for the turn amongst interested players.

With the rules I'm going with for turn order, actually, you'd have priority over Wookie, as you haven't played one yet.
    That and I'm all for suckering introducing new people into community forts. If no one else volunteers for the turn, I'm all for watching Zar Peter have a go at the fort.
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh jeebles, a forgotten beast. I've never seen one before. o~o

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

They are beasts that have been forgotten. They are not friendly.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

In the interest of keeping this fort alive for at least a few more turns, I'll recommend we have an experienced player take over the next turn just to have a base we can build off. As it is, the fort is still in a precarious situation.

Did I mention that the two levers in the second floor are unlabeled? I haven't had the time to find out what they did.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    ...stuff...
    Did I mention that the two levers in the second floor are unlabeled mysteriously alluring and begging to be pulled? I haven't had the time to act on this impulse find out what they did.
    Fixed that for you
    Last edited by Wookieetank; 2012-11-28 at 11:53 AM.

14. - Top - End - #404

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    In the interest of keeping this fort alive for at least a few more turns, I'll recommend we have an experienced player take over the next turn just to have a base we can build off. As it is, the fort is still in a precarious situation.

Did I mention that the two levers in the second floor are unlabeled? I haven't had the time to find out what they did.
    Well, I already played succession forts and I'm playing DF since about two years. Sometimse more, sometimes less. Currently it's more.

I just don't have very much experience with honey making and I'm surely not the best fighting dwarf (=I can assigne squads but sometimes the dumb creatures just fight with their fists instead grapping a sword).

So I'm not a complete newbie...
    So, if I get a go I'll begin playing tomorrow...

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

So I'm not a complete newbie...
    So, if I get a go I'll begin playing tomorrow...
    So long you know which end the pointy end goes to, that's fine by me.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok Zar, at the end of the 24-hour period you'll officially get the turn if no-one else new applies. Though you could start at any point if you wanted, but there's still a chance someone else could apply, at which point you'd have a 50% chance.

And the thing with military is that you should assign them whatever weapon category they're trained in. And sometimes the little bastards think it's a good idea to punch.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-28 at 01:00 PM.

17. - Top - End - #407

Ok Zar, at the end of the 24-hour period you'll officially get the turn if no-one else new applies. Though you could start at any point if you wanted, but there's still a chance someone else could apply, at which point you'd have a 50% chance.

And the thing with military is that you should assign them whatever weapon category they're trained in. And sometimes the little bastards think it's a good idea to punch.
    Ok, I begin and if I don't get it in the end I could have myself a bit FUN

But it seems to be fun anyway... is there any reason that no hotkeys are assigned?

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm available for a turn at some point.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    I'm available for a turn at some point.
    Would you like to apply for this one, or the next? You haven't done one before, have you?

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

I was the one that couldn't get dug in with the zombies at the first site. I'm not picky about when I take a turn.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    I was the one that couldn't get dug in with the zombies at the first site. I'm not picky about when I take a turn.
    Ah, all right. I'll give priority to Zar then. But if noone else new shows up you should have precedence for the next turn.

22. - Top - End - #412

Yoho! Spring will be posted when I get home from work again.

Lost a miner due to magma

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

At least it's a proper, dwarfy death. Do we have any picks left?

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

At least it's a proper, dwarfy death. Do we have any picks left?
    Even if we don't, we have metal and charcoal enough to smelt five more.

25. - Top - End - #415

The diary of "Zar Peter" Otadzaneg:

1st Granite 114: This is... insanity. Where shall I begin? Well, maybe I should introduce myself first, I'm Zar Peter Otadzaneg, I'm Mechanic and bookkeeper here in Inkedmined. The place is a mess. The way out is closed due to a zoblin siege, we didn't have enough traps or doors so we just walled up the entrance. Wasn't the worst decision since the Zoblins are outside and we are inside.
    There's no one alive from the initial seven who founded this place and it seems there is nobody alive with any skills at all. We thought a bit about what we could do and finally Datan Mafolamot proposed to get rid of all titles. We are all equal dwarves here, our labour is worth the same! We cheered and elected him to be our Mayor to lead us to equality. He assigned me to be the bookkeeper, told me that the bookkeeper is responsible that all work is done and went to bed. So I have to deal with all the mess.

Problems:

1) Zoblin siege: Should be solved when the river thawes. Unless the Zoblins realise that they are currently on the wrong side of it.

2) No nobles except Mayor and Bookkeeper: Well, I'll assigne some. Since no one has any skills I will just take the next dwarf who passes by and tell it to be hammerer. Or manager. Or chief medical dwarf. Or whatever.

3) Nobody has any skills: Well, we'll have to learn. Fast!

1st Granite, early afternoon: I met the Farmer Zon Bernazon and told him that she's now Captain of the Guard. Don't know if she understood me since her baby began to cry while we were talking.

So, all titles are given out wich is funny since we decided not to use any titles... anyway, I think now we have to wait till the river thaws. And while we are at it I decided that all miners have to be free to mine wherever they want so now they are freed from any hauling activity. I hope to find some magma someday.

13th Granite: I finally found the button to turn off the alert. I know, the Zoblins are still outside but we are walled in and the Miners were getting lazy already. And I ordered that there are stonecrafts to be made. We want to have to sell something when the villains are gone and someone wants to trade with us.

17th Granite: HOLY ARMOK! We have discovered a Magma sea. And another cave.

21st Granite: The bloody miners dug out a hole into the new cave without letting me know. Thank Armok I recogniced it in time and a wall was build before the first reacher could get into the fortress. We don't have the military for that stuff.

27th Granite
    : The river has thawed and the Zoblins are on the other side. Shall I open the fortress again?

11th Slate: I did it! I tore down the wall during the siege. Then I recogniced that the river hasn't got much water. The Zoblins could easily rush over and invade us! Building up the wall again before the dumb evil things outside are noticing our little slip up.

17th Slate
    : One of our miners fell into the Magma sea while digging out a channel. Why are all the people here so clumsy?

17th Slate: And on the very same day our broker Uvash is taken by a fey mood. I hope he doesn't get crazy. Wouldn't wonder about it, though.

19th Slate: Uvash is still standing in his room, singing. He didn't claim any shop. That doesn't look good.

25th Slate: We seem to have a Ghost problem. Some violent translucent freak punched our Militia Commander in the spleen. I think we have to engrave some slabs.

27th Slate: Since our last miner is still shaking in fear from the magma I ordered him to dig out some sleeping chambers for the nobility. Only advantages: He gains experience and I get space to store all my wardrobe.

17th Felsite: Finally the ghost Unib Zuglarshin has been put to rest. We made a fine slab for him reading:
    In memory of Unib Zuglarshin/Born 90/Bled to death slain by the zorvin Maga Sinfulbite in the Abduction at Inkedmined in the year 113/Mayor of the Hammer of Coloring in 113/United with Sylvite.
    Well, I wish I will have something like that when I'm dead, too. I also wish I could punch some other dwarf in the spleen when I'm a ghost.

Oh, and today I assigned a new miner. Kol Otamadil should be happy to have this new job. I mean, Fish Cleaner? Seriously!

And a picture: The Magma Sea:

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooh, that's a lovely find. How deep is it?

If it's not too remote, we could eventually set up magma forges there.

27. - Top - End - #417

I count 12 levels. Currently I have a smelter, a kiln and a glass furnance established down there. Forge will come later.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

I count 12 levels. Currently I have a smelter, a kiln and a glass furnance established down there. Forge will come later.
    Clearly we need to relocate the fort to be around that lava lake entirely. Have the entrance across a bridge spanning it and just dump the goblins in when they try to cross. The surface is overrated anyway.

29. - Top - End - #419

And so went the summer:

19th Felsite: There is a leather workshop but no one knows anything about leather. I decided that our Bone Carver Ezum would be perfect to do this job. He's our chief medic but currently there's no one ill so he has spare time.

20th Felsite
    : The Zoblins finally left us! Hurray, the siege is over. I'll let the wall tore down and build a new trade depot. And maybe we will think about a new defense system. Maybe a new entrance and a draw bridge...

21th Felsite: Our mayor called me to his room today. He said he wants coffins. They must be made in proper time and be of high quality. He likes coffins he told me. Well, there are enough standing around and some of them are even empty but he wouldn't hear all of that. So I will tell the Masons to make some. At least it's something useful. I once worked under a mayor who demanded a wolf bone armor stand in his office. Armok bless his greedy soul.

24th Felsite: The wall is down, we can go out! And now we really can see all the dead bodies the zoblins left us. Depressing. I'll be inside as fast as I can!

3rd Hematite: The cook finally stopped singing in her chambers. Now she came out and does nothing. She refuses to eat and drink and just sits around drawing sad faces. I think she's strikken by melancholy.

11th Hematite
    : Our melancholic cook has given birth of a boy! But even the sweet Zasit is unable to bring a smile on his mothers face. That's so sad.

16th Hematite: I had to cut down some trees to make the new entrance and suddenly noticed that nobody is willing to do that. Well, Tanner sounds good but I don't think it's a very fullfilling activity. Now she can do something useful in her spare time.

21st Hematite: Our miner has been found dead! His body was badly crushed under some stones. He must have carved out the ramps when the cavern collapsed. How can this happen to an experienced miner? Oh, wait a moment, he wasn't experienced.

27th Hematite: My wife became Mayor! And she has given birth to a boy! Now I know why she had been so grumpy recently.

3rd Malachite: I have to rethink our entrance making programm. The second miner was killed by an collapsing cave. They are all unable to carve ramps! I told them now to carve channels, maybe that's better.

5th Malachite
    : Just found out that not only the miner was crushed, no she also had her baby with her. That's so sad. So sad...

7th Malachite: I have ordered to put some coffins into the graveyard. I have the feeling we need more space.

10th Malachite: We have a new Trade Depot! We used microcline so it's gleaming in a sweet light blue. I'm happy again!

13th Malachite
    : Digging channels was the right idea! Another cavern collapsed but this time the miner stood above the dirt and not beyond. He survived but is a bit dizzy.

14th Malachite: Migrants! At last! I hope some of them have some skills in any way. I'll be up and out counting!

15th Malachite: 10 people arrived. And no one with relevant skills. Well, one of them can handle the axe without hurting himself so I made him Militia Captain. And one of them is aquainted to someone who once got a lesson in Surgery and Wound Dressing so I made him Chief Medical Dwarf.

16th Malachite
    : Our Mayor, my wife has gone crazy. Well, not really, but she's acting a bit weird since our son was born. Now she forbid the export of leggings. As if we ever had some of these or will have in the near future. Anyway, I told her we will obey and she was satisfied.

16th Malachite: afternoon: And another cavern collapsed. One of our miner bruised his arm and the other his liver. Poor guy, the chief medic told him he may drink only one glass of beer the hour.

24th Malachite
    : And another baby arrived in the Fortress. This time Fikud, our Farmer and wife of the Militia commander got a boy. There is hope again that this fortress will be an success!

28th Malachite: Just noticed that our cook, who went melancholic, hasn't been seen for over a week. I will look, maybe she hides again in her room.

She was in her room! But sadly not hiding but starving. The poor girl is dead. What a shame! I wonder where she left her baby, the poor orphan.

3rd Galena: This time it's happened to my wife! She was walking outside in the rain and suddenly she screamed something and ran inside. Now she's in our room, running up and down babbling. If I only knew what she wants.

13th Galena: A human caravan arrived. Let's see if we can trade some food.

14th Galena: And a Kobold ambush! They killed another Miner. I ring the alert and let the humans deal with them.

17th Galena: And now the forgotten Beast Usan Stremcugo has come. An enormous feathered skink. It has a twisting jointed trunk, and it has a gaunt appearance. It's clear feathers are long and sparse. We should beware it's hunger for warm blood. Oh, and my wife is occupying a leather works shop we finally constructed.

18th Galena: The baby of our late cook died today of thirst. But the good news are: The humans killed all the kobolds. Well, all but one. I told my one man army to kill the last kobold, too.

21st Galena
    : He made it! The Kobold ambush is over. Now lets trade with the humans.

AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!! All inside! Another ambush, this time broglins. We are not ready for this! Let's hope the humans are.

23rd Galena: Yes, they were. All the broglins are dead, thank the humans. Maybe NOW we can trade at last.

24th Galena: We refilled our food storage. Let's hope we get enough time to bring the stuff inside.

27th Galena
    : We found a broglin snatcher but he could escape. And my wife began a mysterious construction.

4th Limestone
    : She did it! She finished her work. And what did she do? A giant olm leather legging.

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: This went bad. Well, it could have gone worse but obviously being miner under my reign is deadly. I stopped counting after the third miner died but it must have been at least 5 I think. The last one was killed by the Kobold ambush.
    And I wanted to build a new entrance but I noticed too late that I was too close to the edge of the map. Couldn't build a wall so I have to build a moat around the stairs.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

The sight of magma brings a tear to my eye.

GET ALL GLASS TRAPS.