A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

I don't recognize the song, though I have a hunch that it is from a movie or a play.

And now Grease has officially made her first distinct disagreement with me. (In the game canon, anyway.) I'm kinda relieved, actually, I was starting to worry that she had lost that bit of free will she acquired during character creation.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

2. - Top - End - #542
    Firbolg in the Playground

Interesting. I have a character who finds that the evidence finds in favor of plausibility of spirits.

As for the song, I pictured it being used to explain our situation to Vereia. (Try singing it to Winter Wrap Up. It was much easier to work the lyrics than with, say, Beethoven.)
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Interesting. I have a character who finds that the evidence finds in favor of plausibility of spirits.

As for the song, I pictured it being used to explain our situation to Vereia. (Try singing it to Winter Wrap Up. It was much easier to work the lyrics than with, say, Beethoven.)
    Ah, yes, that fits. Should have expected something like that, really.

4. - Top - End - #544

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Hmm, I can't place the song unfortunately. The rhythm of the words is just slightly off enough (in syllable count) to throw me off.

Welp, it's a good song. My only real complaint is that it's very recappy. I'm thinking we need something more about themes; of being lost or missing home or simply a song about pushing on. Something more ... forward looking? (Gah, can't really describe just yet, need to ponder it a bit.)
    I could do that. Might take a while, but I could do that.
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

Just to confirm, but the rocks Kahar pointed out as spell-storing were the same as the keystones in the valley, the rock golem, or both?
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ettin in the Playground

Spell storing ones are the river stones; so they're the ones that look like the body of the rock-monster.

The ones in the valley probably looked a bit more like the gem-creating ones.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

Spell storing ones are the river stones; so they're the ones that look like the body of the rock-monster.

The ones in the valley probably looked a bit more like the gem-creating ones.
    Thanks! That cleared it up.

I'm amused with how relatively effective Cork is at getting stuff done, all the while being the most prissy, eccentric, and easily distracted member of the party. The downside is that this effectiveness will almost immediately vanish once a physical challenge rears its ugly head.

*nurses his measly two remaining Energy*

8. - Top - End - #548

Meanwhile, the doctor-in-training who's been living on his own for over a year now, roaming the country, is completely out of his element, has a skillset mostly irrelevant to the situations where he finds himself, and has a special purpose that, unless redefined, will most likely not see play...
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-11-27 at 11:35 AM.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Could I get the reasoning for why the Painter Job wouldn't apply in this situation? I'm not sure I understand how it works. To me, this is a detail-oriented pony trying to recall the details of a very strange object he saw less than an hour ago. I feel like there should be something on his sheet that gives him a bonus for this, instead of just being a straight Mind roll. Or is it a case that he didn't get a chance to study it enough?

No, this isn't at all related to the fact that the Job bonus would've made it a success. >.<

EDIT: Here's the post I was thinking of when I was making this stretch:

Heh, well it's a good point, and was one of the arguments I had with myself on Amish/Cork's question earlier was about the scope of Job vs Skill.

In the end I let both apply because it was hard to justify separating Painter from Painting. I think carrying repair forward to making entirely new things might be a bit too much of a stretch, but I do want to be consistent in the treatment between PC's

Ok, how about this. If you think you need to fudge/stretch a stat, then the general answer is yes for jobs and no for skills unless you can come up with a decent argument as to why both apply, bearing in mind that the skill narrowly focused?

This would make the answer earlier to Cork a Yes for Job and No for Skill on the grounds that the 'painting' skill simply refers to his ability with the brush. That sound fair?
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-11-27 at 03:03 PM.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

And because it's long overdue, the grand consolidated post of Crown Cork:

Description:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Physical: Crown Cork is a mocha-colored Earth Pony with a golden, well-groomed mane. In fact, "well-kept" would be a good word to describe him. It is rare to see him anything less than immaculately groomed, and he moves with a poise and grace of somepony used to putting on airs. In spite of this, his eyes shine with a deep, unyielding passion that rarely is fully shown.

Picture!
    Spoiler
    Show

Personality: Meh, I may write something later, but I think the five words cover it pretty well. Melodramatic, always assumes a leadership/superior role over other ponies, deep insecurities regarding his ability to succeed Pop Cork.

Relationships/Family: There are two ponies in Crown's life: His father, and his special somepony.

His father, Pop Cork, is the third Cork to rule over the family soda empire. An overbearing, boisterous stallion, when he says "jump", the only natural response is, "How high, sir?" Like a tyrant of industry, nothing in the business happens without his say. He is fiercely proud of his only son for showing such interest in the company, despite his rather unorthodox talent. Really, painting the bottlecaps? Pure genius! Likewise, Crown views his father as a paragon, an ideal to live up to. His greatest wish is to make his father proud, and his greatest fear is to bring shame upon his old head.

His special somepony...well, perhaps it'd be best if Crown told the story here:

"Many thanks, my good man. Now, I remember the first time I laid eyes upon her like it was yesterday: I was out walking the fields, inspecting the strawberry plants for their ripeness, when all of a sudden, I had a terrible accident! My memory remains hazy from the horror and trauma, but I remember waking up on my back with a great pain in my head. How I tried to right myself and call for help, but I found myself overcome by my injuries, and could not manage more than a mere whimper to the skies. Surely I would've laid there until the Pale Rider came to collect me, but as fate would have it, Celestia heard my silent prayers. Just then, a beautiful angel, sent from the heavens no doubt, arrived to my aid. She tended to my wounds with a touch as tender as her pure heart, but surely all I needed was one look at her divine beauty to forget my wounds. Under her care, I was a new colt once again! Then and there, I swore to-ah! Sweetie! My ear!"

"Hmph! You gabbin' these fine folks t'death again with your stories? I oughta give your ears a boxin' for tellin' tales! You'll have t'pardon Corky, folks. Got a nasty habit of over-exaggeratin' when he gets all misty-eyed.

"Let me set one thing straight; he didn't have no bad accident. The lil' idjit probably went an' tripped on a rock an' fell into one of them there irrigation ditches. At least, that's where I found him. My paw sent me out into th' fields t'find Corky here t'tell him his carriage or some such was here. I'd just about scoured the place, when I heard th' most saddest, most pathetic whinin' I'd ever heard in my life. Seems t'be comin' from a ditch nearby, an' what do you know, there's the little bussinesspony, on his back in th' mud. I helped him up an' gave him an earful about watchin' where he was going, but his head must've been emptier than I thought, 'cause he weren't hearin' a word I was sayin'. Just kept lookin' at me all funny, then before I can give him what-for for that, out of nowhere, he starts goin' on an' on, praisin' th' Sisters for sendin' such a pretty filly t'his aid. I wish I could remember what he'd said, 'cause let me tell you, it were a lot fancier than that.

"Now, I've had m'share of hired help tryin' t'win me over with sweet nothin's, but I ain't ever had anypony go on about me like that. 'Course, first thing I did was slap him for bein' improper. At least, that's what I said at th' time. T'be honesst, I didn't quite know what t'think, so I went with th' first thing that popped into m'head. But don't tell Corky that. I half-expected him t'run off cryin', but he just straightened himself back up, bowed an' apologized for losin' control of his tongue, an' then he was off without another word. I was deathly afraid I might've just lost us th' Cork contract, but sure enough, they came back later that week for their shipment. Funny enough, weren't no sign of that prissy lil' thing, an' I eventually figured he must've used those lines on dozens of fillies before me. I didn't think nothin' of it, until one day, nearly two months later, who should show up askin' for me but that Cork fella. Right away, I notice how run down he looks, almost like he ain't slept in weeks. Before I can get a word in, he says he's here t'set things straight, and pulls out this bit o'canvas he's got. Now, I'd heard he was handy with a brush, but I ain't never seen a painting like that one, an' I don't think I ever will again. It were a paintin' of me, with colors an' texture an' such so lifelike I nearly swore it were a mirror. But as I looked again, I realized that were no bit of glass, 'cause no mirror had ever made me look that good. He lifts a hoof up an' shuts my hangin' jaw, an' says, 'This would've been a lot harder without a proper model, but I only needed t'get one look at th' most unforgettable filly in th' world.'

"W-well, that colt certainly did know his way around words..."

"Sweetie, have I mentioned you look simply divine when you blush like-ah! The ear, the ear!"

Five Words:
    Perfection-Details, Time, Fussy, Gift, Dissatisfaction
    Family-Father, Fate, Expectations, Love, Foundation
    Obligation-Leadership, Inability, Social, Monotony, Direction
    Passion-Ham, Vision, Sissy, Burning, Joy
    Pride-Superiority, Insecure, Overreaching, Faith, Confidence

Ideal: A pony for every place, and a place for every pony
    Flawed: The best fit with what we have.

Statblock:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Name: Crown Cork
    Earth Pony Colt
    Guiding Element: Honesty
    Cutie Mark: A trio of bottlecaps, freshly painted
    Special Purpose: "highlighting what makes things special"

Body: 2
    Heart: 3
    Mind: 3

Energy: 5 (2)
    Courage: 6 (5)
    Fortitude: 5 (2)
    Willpower: 8 (3)

Jobs
    Soda Tycoon - 2
    Painter - 3

Skills
    Painting - 4
    Sketching - 3
    Politics - 2
    Finances - 2
    Soda Brewing - 3
    Negotiation - 1
    Hiking - 1

Talents
    Creative
    Charismatic

Abilities
    Flash of Inspiration (14 xp)
    Extra Talented (Charismatic) (4 xp)

Flaws
    Mild Phobia (Firearms and Explosives)

XP Spent: 54/54

Soda Tycoon 2 (3 XP)
    Painter 3 (3 XP) + (4 XP)

Painting +3 (6 XP)
    Soda Brewing +2 (3 XP)
    Politics +2 (1 XP)
    Sketching +3 (1 XP) + (2 XP)
    Finances +2 (1 XP)
    Negotiation - New skill (4 XP)
    Hiking - New Skill (4 XP)

+1 Temporary bonus *2

Custom Flaw: Mild Phobia
    -Whenever your character loses points of Courage due to their phobia, they lose an additional point.

Background Info/Other stories:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutie Mark Story:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Cork family had been in the bottled drink business for longer than most ponies cared to remember. The current head of the family, Pop Cork, was a virtuoso of juice; mixing and blending flavors into masterpieces of beverage came to him as easy as breathing. So sure was he that his son would follow in his hoofsteps, that he even named him for the peculiar bottle caps his drink bottles so often used. Crown Cork, as fate would have it, had other ideas. Ever since he could hold a brush, he'd always found a special sort of peace when he was putting paint to paper. And in terms of technical ability, he was a prodigy. Nopony could match his skill for painting exactly the picture he meant to paint. Just one thing kept him from the easel cutie mark he was so sure he deserved. His attention to detail was so meticulous, that he took days to finish what other artists could accomplish in minutes. Ages of practice, practice, and more practice, and he never could manage to improve enough. His flank was still blank.

His father took this failing as a sign from Celestia herself. Why else would his artistry fail, if not to drive the young colt to the family business where he belonged? Despondent from his lack of a cutie mark, Crown soon found himself believing his father's words and took up work putting on the very caps he was named for. The bottled drink business held none of the magic of a paintbrush, but he couldn't turn down the promise of discovering his talent. He likely would've kept on this miserable path, were he a little less clumsy. While forcing on a particularly stubborn cap, Crown managed to nearly bend it in two. He was about to throw it away, when something about about the plain metal cap caught his eye. The way the metal bent, the way it half-caught the sunlight, it ignited an inspiration in him he hadn't felt in ages. Immediately he tore upstairs and grabbed his leftover paints, only to remember he hadn't bought proper paper in months. With no other option, he plucked out his tiniest brush and set to work on the cap itself.

The next morning, when Pop Cork came to check on the latest batch of Sunrise Lemonade, he found an amazing sight. On each and every one of the caps, he saw a miniature portrait of the sun rising above a sparkling lake. And at the end of the hallway, he found his son, sleeping amidst a pile of spilled paints and bottle caps just like the ones adorning his flank.

Right before the start of the game:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As for the train ride, here's what I figured: The big Cork press conference is tomorrow, and Crown was psyching himself up the whole day to talk with Pop Cork about where his place was in the future of the company. Right as he's about to knock on his dad's door, Pop bursts out in a tizzy. Apparently, he left some key papers back at the family estate, and he doesn't have the time to go fetch them due to tons of preparatory work he has to do tonight. Cork, cursing his foul luck, volunteers to head out on the next overnight train, grab the papers, and be back before the press arrive tomorrow evening. Pop wraps him up in a tight hug, saying how he can always count on his son, and how proud he is of him.

Needless to say, Cork doesn't expect he'll be getting any sleep on the train.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2017-10-23 at 02:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Could I get the reasoning for why the Painter Job wouldn't apply in this situation? I'm not sure I understand how it works. To me, this is a detail-oriented pony trying to recall the details of a very strange object he saw less than an hour ago. I feel like there should be something on his sheet that gives him a bonus for this, instead of just being a straight Mind roll. Or is it a case that he didn't get a chance to study it enough?

No, this isn't at all related to the fact that the Job bonus would've made it a success. >.<

EDIT: Here's the post I was thinking of when I was making this stretch:
    I know, it just felt like a bit too much of a stretch to equate "attention to detail" with "photographic memory" (at least, not without giving him a powerful ability I wasn't convinced he really had). I couldn't think of a good reason why Cork would have committed anything about those stones to memory in the short time he had to examine them.

EDIT: Added the compilation to the front page

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Fair enough. I was shooting for general information anyhow, but that's what a DC 10 check is for I suppose. It doesn't stop the failure from being any less frustrating, but I understand the rationale behind it.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ettin in the Playground

If it's any consolation, I'm fairly bermused with how you guys manage to fail the inconsequential checks, and have yet to flub a major check (such as when an out of control sled is barreling right at you )

C'mon, where's the Dwarf Fortress style of thinking; "Losing is fun!"

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

If it's any consolation, I'm fairly bermused with how you guys manage to fail the inconsequential checks, and have yet to flub a major check (such as when an out of control sled is barreling right at you )
    Well, yeah, until some goofball goes and jinxes it.

C'mon, where's the Dwarf Fortress style of thinking; "Losing is fun!"
    The part where, unlike Dwarf Fortress, we've spent a great deal of time with these characters, gotten to know them and their innermost thoughts, and it pains us to see them flub things, despite the fact that it logically must happen eventually. Also, failures here involve significantly less catsplosions. Failure is significantly more fun when accompanied by a mushroom cloud of cats.

EDIT: Also, I edited in Cork's failed roll result into my latest post.

DOUBLE EDIT: I edited in a much better response, one that actually keeps the conversation going.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-11-27 at 06:46 PM.

15. - Top - End - #555

So, what say ye? Shall we deploy the recap song?

Also, Blastech? I believe that you stated that in order to get the Special Purpose bonus, it's basically a matter of discovering, recording, and recovering knowledge all at the same time. My question is, how is this possible? I could see two at once very easily, but it's nigh impossible to both discover and recover knowledge at the same time.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

1) I love Cork's story of meeting his Sweetie. It's just so... Cork.

2) I am totally up for deploying the recap song. Do we want to take turns singing lines, or what?

3) Sorry for not posting yesterday, I was reading the new Dresden Files book. (Which, in case you were curious, is awesome.)
    Last edited by One Tin Soldier; 2012-11-28 at 12:06 PM.

17. - Top - End - #557

Man, Cork's story-entries makes me wish I'd put a bit more effort into my own. Amish, you make me look bad!

As for the song, it would probably be easier to deploy it all at once, but be more fun to do it in turns. Course, that requires that everyone knows which part belongs to which pony. Any ideas?

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, Blastech? I believe that you stated that in order to get the Special Purpose bonus, it's basically a matter of discovering, recording, and recovering knowledge all at the same time. My question is, how is this possible? I could see two at once very easily, but it's nigh impossible to both discover and recover knowledge at the same time.
    I think I gave two examples earlier with a samples analysis and a research task.

(Discover) a specimin. (Recover) it to someplace for study. (Record) your findings. - Example task check, you break a bit off mr Rocky and try to analyse it.

(Discover) an old book in the library. (Recover) it and read. (Record) the knowledge therin. - Example check, you're in the [REDACTED] and want to find a specific piece of information so you check the library.

The only real need to have the distinction of "recover" is to prevent DB from getting the bonus from just looking at stuff while walking around. He needs to take his time to study it in some kind of relevant environment. (Be it a quiet space at the campsite or a lab)

As for the song, however you guys want to deploy it is fine by me. I'm willing to negate the heart check on Vereia if it's used.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I gave two examples earlier with a samples analysis and a research task.

(Discover) a specimin. (Recover) it to someplace for study. (Record) your findings. - Example task check, you break a bit off mr Rocky and try to analyse it.

(Discover) an old book in the library. (Recover) it and read. (Record) the knowledge therin. - Example check, you're in the [REDACTED] and want to find a specific piece of information so you check the library.

The only real need to have the distinction of "recover" is to prevent DB from getting the bonus from just looking at stuff while walking around. He needs to take his time to study it in some kind of relevant environment. (Be it a quiet space at the campsite or a lab)

As for the song, however you guys want to deploy it is fine by me. I'm willing to negate the heart check on Vereia if it's used.
    Looks like I'm not the only one who's been spending time on the SCP Foundation site lately.

20. - Top - End - #560

So in effect, he'd be very good at analyzing things during downtime, but probably couldn't use it in a dangerous situation. I can deal with that.

So, just spouting theoretical situations: say he wanted to find out if a particular plant could be used as medicine. If he had a specimen and the time to examine it, he could get the bonus, plus maybe the job bonus from Chemist and the skill bonus from Pharmaceutical Medicine.

So, if we want to use the song, how should we do it? Just have one person start singing and describe the others?
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-11-28 at 05:17 PM.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ettin in the Playground

So in effect, he'd be very good at analyzing things during downtime, but probably couldn't use it in a dangerous situation. I can deal with that.

So, just spouting theoretical situations: say he wanted to find out if a particular plant could be used as medicine. If he had a specimen and the time to examine it, he could get the bonus, plus maybe the job bonus from Chemist and the skill bonus from Pharmaceutical Medicine.
    That would be a reasonable argument methinks.

22. - Top - End - #562

Okay. Good to know.

If there's no objections, we could just sing a few verses each.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay. Good to know.

If there's no objections, we could just sing a few verses each.
    Sounds like a plan to me. I guess you can kick it off, unless you think the first lines are better suited to another character. Doesn't matter to me.

24. - Top - End - #564

It would be slightly out of character, but then again, so is singing. So it's alright. I'll go kick it off, then!

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ettin in the Playground

Oops, ninja'd

Balmas, for post flow, can you please delete and repost your singing right after Vereia's question? Was hoping to get that in as the substitute for the "I'm not sure where I belong, what does everypony do?" in the original

Sorry!!

26. - Top - End - #566

Oops, ninja'd

Balmas, for post flow, can you please delete and repost your singing right after Vereia's question? Was hoping to get that in as the substitute for the "I'm not sure where I belong, what does everypony do?" in the original

Sorry!!
    Done, and done.

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Hope you don't mind a little bit of control over Dive Bomb so the lyrics make sense.
    Sorry, I'm too busy squeeing over the fact that we're singing the lyrics I wrote for it to matter. (Besides, he was kind of intended to sing the lines in green. You can assume that he's singing during the chorus.)

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

God you do not know how badly I want Soot to sing the next part. But my iPod's giving me trouble with quoting. I'll post it sometime tomorrow morning. My class is using laptops so I should be able to make a post then.
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

28. - Top - End - #568
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    1) I love Cork's story of meeting his Sweetie. It's just so... Cork.
    Man, Cork's story-entries makes me wish I'd put a bit more effort into my own. Amish, you make me look bad!
    Man, you all are going to make me wear out this emote before long.

I had that bit of headcanon established a while ago, this is just the first time it's been properly written down. Half the reason I did it as a story is because it gives me another excuse not to use her name ever.

So. It comes to my attention that we're singing. And that Cork was just about to spill the beans to Kahdar as well.

Is anypony thinking what I'm thinking?

29. - Top - End - #569

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    So. It comes to my attention that we're singing. And that Cork was just about to spill the beans to Kahdar as well.

Is anypony thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, but where are we going to get a push-cart, twelve rockets, a quart and a half of Chinese food, and twenty-eight rolls of duct tape?

More seriously, what are you thinking?

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, but where are we going to get a push-cart, twelve rockets, a quart and a half of Chinese food, and twenty-eight rolls of duct tape?

More seriously, what are you thinking?
    I'm thinking he jumps in to take a verse/duets on a verse, if it isn't too silly. Probably this one:

It had us walking through the night cross the desert land.
    We lost one friend as he went sliding down the sand.
    While they went to chase our friend, to watch the beast I flew
    I guess we all touched some rocks, and now we're here with you!