New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Cleric question.

I was wondering, if a cleric can be the cleric of a cause, could an evil or neutral cleric devote himself to like the spreading of a deadly sin, like greed or something along those lines?
    'Tear down creation just to see if you can.'

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Cleric question.

Sure, why not?
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Thanks. Just wondering because I'm making a new character for a campaign and i wanted to try somethin new.

4. - Top - End - #4

It's actually a great idea for a non-deity cleric, because it gives you some focus as opposed to "serving good/evil" in general. It also opens up some great themes for gear later on.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Heh, a big gold coin as a holy symbol.

6. - Top - End - #6

It also gives you a great reason to use spells like Entice Gift from BoVD

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Heheh that's a good idea. Kleptomania Domain.

8. - Top - End - #8

RogueGuy

Here is another qustion. Can a Cleric worship himself as a god? How would that work.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Youd have to maka a new stat: Arrogance.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    Here is another qustion. Can a Cleric worship himself as a god? How would that work.
    Most d&d-esque games I know have at least one god who is also a cleric of himself. That's not what empowers their clericness though: They need to be able to empower clerics in the first place (the whole godhood thing).

In some settings sufficient worship is 90% of what makes anything a deity, but they don't grant powers until they cross that "you are a god now" line.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    I recently played in a game where the cleric did indeed worship himself as a god. He was mentally unstable, and honestly believed he was a god. It was the sheer belief that made my DM say okay. If it were just a PC being arrogant or trying to scam the world, there wouldn't have been any divine power to it.
    Drow Samurai avatar by Ranger Mattos!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

I do have a whole host of clerics in my campaign that worship their "Maker" as a God/Aspect of the God of Magic...They are all Clones of a Rather insane Human Wizard who made a demi plane full of clones of himself, as well as Goblin versions of him (with his face and voice), Giant versions, Ogre versions, and female versions... which have did breed with the other clones... the PC's have not seen what one of these clone decedents look like as they go around wrapped up in bandages (as they lived close to a rift into a fiery hell and claim to be burned, though this has never been tested.)

But back to the original question. Yes Clerics don't have to worship a God and I often have them worship an ideal or concept (as long as you have a strong idea of whats what and the Domains make sense most people wouldn't have a problem with it )
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Risiez View Post
    I was wondering, if a cleric can be the cleric of a cause, could an evil or neutral cleric devote himself to like the spreading of a deadly sin, like greed or something along those lines?
    Preach the Rules of Acquisition to the unenlightened!

For a price, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Risiez View Post
    Kleptomania Domain.
    There's an actual Greed domain. Also, Commerce and Trade.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.