New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Default What do dragons do without gold?

Exactly what it say's on the tin I'm afraid. Though I can offer context.

I'm running an extremely low technology/ magic saturated campaign (the player's are a third, fourth and a fifth generation settlers on a new continent) that is very much based off Australia and the British colonial spread. As such there wasn't much in the way of metallurgy before the new people doing the run around bought the various technological parts with them. So there is very little gold around. (Treasure packets are generally awarded in magic items with the equivalent GP value. It work's well thus far.)

I've managed to sidestep the issue thus far but I intend to have an angry hunting dragon as the antagonist a couple of sessions down the line but without the whole hoarding thing and with no big population centres to lord over I've got no idea what the Dragons do without those as their defining character traits.

So does anybody have any suggestions?
    Last edited by Smart_alec; 2012-09-13 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Obvious typo

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: What do dragons do without gold?

1. Enslave humans to go mine some gold for them to sit on.

2. Sit on Silver.

3. Sit on lots of sparkly gemstones.

4. Invent a philosopher's stone, then enslave humans to go mine lots of lead.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

You could substitute treasures with other trophies. Like skulls of large monsters or the weapons and armor of warriors the dragon defeated.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Enslave nomadic tribes and force them to come to him once a year with a tribute in human sacrifice?

Or gemstones. Opals come from Australia and they are, IIRC, scales of the rainbow serpent. That should provide perfect fodder for making them a magical material.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe he's just a bit moody, but when he's not in a rampaging frame of mind he likes to relax with a good book. So he has a huge library.

BUT, this may not work in your setting. Perhaps he just has a lot of aboriginal art ?
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Fifth-generation? Wouldn't that mean at the very least 60 years have passed? (Likely more in the direction of 100-125 years? The 60 year number is based off the first generation immediately having kids upon arrival and those kids and every generation afterwards having kids at age 15.)
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

7. - Top - End - #7
    Spamalot in the Playground

Hoard Technology?

If the tech is low due to a lack of useable metals, then it could stand to reason a dragon will control the few metal resources locally. Said dragon could also be raiding ships that are bringing in the technology from across the sea.
    This would keep the locals dependant on magic, which would make the dragon's Dispel and AMF spells much more dangerous.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

8. - Top - End - #8

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by HunterOfJello View Post
    1. Enslave humans to go mine some gold for them to sit on.

2. Sit on Silver.

3. Sit on lots of sparkly gemstones.

4. Invent a philosopher's stone, then enslave humans to go mine lots of lead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Or gemstones. Opals come from Australia and they are, IIRC, scales of the rainbow serpent. That should provide perfect fodder for making them a magical material.
    I phrased this poorly. It's not just gold. It's everything associated with material wealth. There simply hasn't been enough time for the infer-structure to produce great amounts of any rare item and core monetisation to have developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Enslave nomadic tribes and force them to come to him once a year with a tribute in human sacrifice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    You could substitute treasures with other trophies. Like skulls of large monsters or the weapons and armor of warriors the dragon defeated.
    These I actually really like. They're flavorful, pay lip-service to the whole racial trait's thing that fantasy and sci-fi authors love so much and they provide a vastly different visual aesthetic.

Thanking you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Fifth-generation? Wouldn't that mean at the very least 60 years have passed? (Likely more in the direction of 100-125 years? The 60 year number is based off the first generation immediately having kids upon arrival and those kids and every generation afterwards having kids at age 15.)
    It's been about ten years since non-convicts have been arriving and almost twenty for the people who went their as prisoners. (Who were not in fact sent there intentionally. A small armada of ships carrying prisoners of war got blown off course and set up shop there due to lack of supplies and an incident with a Kraken.)

A couple of jail-breaks later and you've got enough seeding to justify every non-native species that the players want to be and you've got the building blocks for a couple of small port towns.

The fifth generation member of the party is a Goblin and there are no humans in this setting.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yet. I've got plans for an inter-planer invasion force once they hit epic level.
    She's fully grown and about five years old (and will live to about 15.)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Just some random thoughts:
    Maybe there used to be a highly evolved culture in the area, but the dragons came and took all the gold. With many population centres decimated and no legal tender, the culture soon vanished, but the dragons are still there, and they've had hundreds or thousands of years to gather up all the remaining gold - and the local people have an unexplained taboo against worked gold and silver. They don't remember why it brings destruction any more, though.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

All dragons love SOMETHING, but that can be anything, can't it? Dragons can like books, totem poles, statues, or whatever. There's really no end to bling out there.

11. - Top - End - #11

Griffon

Sorry Nedz. I missed you in the first response.

Hymer, DigoDragon and Nedz, good ideas all but I don't think that they'll be appropriate for the setting.

Thank you as well though.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Wander around with a strange feeling that something is missing from his life.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

After discussing with a friend, I realized that dragons are basically giant scaled magpies.

So, with that in mind. They just go find other shiny things to lay on.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

I was reminded of Easter island, and I could see a dragon demanding the natives to build them enormous statues of guys with funny hats, until the last trees are gone. Just a thouht, though.
    Wait- I'm picturing it RIGHT NOW!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BONES! The Dragon collects bones. Everything he has ever killed has its skeleton proudly displayed in a giant pile. He sits upon his Bone Hoard in his lair, only exiting when he notices that he is missing a particular type of bone. A fibia that is 23.2cm long perhaps? He'll go find one and add it to his collection.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I like the bone and statues ideas... but also consider that dragons, themselves, may not be native. Assuming you're talking actual Australia (from a geographical reference standpoint), what if dragons come from Vietnam, Thailand, or even all the way from the Americas? Or that they hitched a ride from "England" to find more open areas (with fewer competing dragons)? They would be younger, at first, and wanting to build up riches... but there's no riches to build up. And there's hostile "alien" monsters who are already there.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Another thing to bear in mind is that over the centuries, many more things than just coins and technology have been signs of wealth. Salt, spices, alcohol, tea, fresh water and so on. Heck, any natural resource that is centrally located and excludable could serve as a dragon's hoard.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Nothing. They do not exist until the land feels it needs to punish human infidels who dared to live on it.
    Exception cannot prove the rule. It disproves it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I always thought dragons unable or incapable of collecting gold and other shiny and rare things might take an interest in rocks, specifically the round kind often found on the bottom of rivers and like, the more spherical the better, morso if the Rocks have an interesting colour.

Further the Rocks have a practical use as well, with a little fire breath you can heat them up and make a nice warm bed for yourself, or an easy way to keep your eggs warm for a long period of time.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Devil

Hoard magic items.

Gemstones (already mentioned.)

Artwork.

Shiny shells, or whatever the local currency is.

A harem of sacrificial virgins.

Get fundamentally pissed off and kill everything.

There was a 2nd edition setting focusing on PC dragons, where the dragons needed to grow their hoards in order to advance an age category. Maybe dragons just can't get to their true size.
    I'm not an evil GM! Honest!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    After discussing with a friend, I realized that dragons are basically giant scaled magpies.

So, with that in mind. They just go find other shiny things to lay on.
    Basically this. If there's no currency or precious metals/gems yet, then that means it's still in a barter or subsistence economy, so anything 'useful' becomes valuable. If dragons simply have a compulsion to accumulate wealth, it could be a powerful rancher with vast herds of sheep/cattle (though that means they get a little poorer every time they eat dinner), or guard a vast forest filled with prime timber, or something similar.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

A dragon's gotta eat. Maybe dragons think the player characters are yummy.

23. - Top - End - #23

NecromancerGirl

I tend to think of dragon greed as being about things others perceive as valuable. Gold is intrinsically worthless to a dragon since it does not purchase anything from anyone. However, all the humans envy the dragon if it has gold, because they would purchase things for gold if they had it. From this perspective, the dragon hoards whatever humans and other creatures crave. In this case, that might be territory - the dragon protects good pasturages, fertile lands or water sources by killing or driving away all others, not because it uses these resources but so that it will have them while others will crave them. The same could go for livestock, slaves or anything else. Whatever gives a mortal status to possess, the dragon will hoard.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Lots of mythological monsters hoard livestock, so I'd go with that first. Timber would be a bit more odd, but Humbaba sets vague precedent.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

this seems like the kind of perfect situation for the SpellHoard, from Dragon 313
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anxe View Post
    BONES! The Dragon collects bones. Everything he has ever killed has its skeleton proudly displayed in a giant pile. He sits upon his Bone Hoard in his lair, only exiting when he notices that he is missing a particular type of bone. A fibia that is 23.2cm long perhaps? He'll go find one and add it to his collection.
    I highly recommend this as it's METAL AS HELL. (tm)

Also, this would be excellent.

Nothing says that the dragon couldn't mine out mineral wealth by itself: particularly if it's a burrowing type. even if it isn't, they're a 5 ton+ engine of destruction and could use their breath-weapon to do the heavy lifting/digging, to say nothing of helpful spells (ant-haul comes to mind.)

I tend to think of dragon greed as being about things others perceive as valuable. Gold is intrinsically worthless to a dragon since it does not purchase anything from anyone. However, all the humans envy the dragon if it has gold, because they would purchase things for gold if they had it. From this perspective, the dragon hoards whatever humans and other creatures crave. In this case, that might be territory - the dragon protects good pasturages, fertile lands or water sources by killing or driving away all others, not because it uses these resources but so that it will have them while others will crave them. The same could go for livestock, slaves or anything else. Whatever gives a mortal status to possess, the dragon will hoard.
    Another cool idea.
    Having it hoard water would be particularly appropriate if it's one of the more aquatic dragons: perhaps lording over a massive crater-lake, and toying with interlopers who are dying of thirst.
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2012-09-16 at 04:20 AM.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

If you've got room in your setting for an arid desert your characters could be induced to enter, taking an innocent drink from an oasis or underground spring which the dragon has settled upon as its own... earning some wrath.

Or perhaps a local settlement is being built on a dragon's bone yard? Because the decaying remains leave the soil fertile. Somehow the PCs get involved in a dispute between an old dragon who's come there to die and those seen as defilers of its sacred land.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2012-09-16 at 05:21 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Introduce a string of isles to the north (polynesian ish), where natives use seashells as coins, and let the dragons hoard pretty shells. Along with magical masks, strange idols, moai's and whatever they can manage to rob.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Spamalot in the Playground

They mope.

Anyway, IIRC Draconomicon talks about alternate hordes, such as rare books or galleries of valuable artwork. I could imagine other options like an exotic arboretum or manufactory of costly perfumes etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    They mope.

Anyway, IIRC Draconomicon talks about alternate hordes, such as rare books or galleries of valuable artwork. I could imagine other options like an exotic arboretum or manufactory of costly perfumes etc.

Mixing this with the prior pile of bones idea, have it hoard ivory and carved bone art objects.