New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Default making a jet pack

hey guys,

I have been playing a mechanist off of these very same forums and have really been enjoying the magitech experience in D&D. I have been trying to find D&D equivalents to real world technology like grappling hooks and flamethrowers. My current challenge is to make a jetpack.

After a quick look around the internet i came across the idea of using psionics to emulate the fuel consumption of a real jetpack. basically we are talking about a custom magic item that has multiple powers and it's own reserve of power points with which to cast them, likely replenished at the beginning of each day. I really wanted it to act like the jump jets from WH40K which aren't very effective for prolonged flight but are used for short jumps and increased battlefield maneuverability.

so here is what I have so far.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jump Jets

Price: 25200
    Body Slot: Cloak
    Activation: Swift (mental)
    Weight: 10 lb

This compact device channels arcane energy to provide it's wearer with unmatched maneuverability in a package anyone can use

By using a swift action to command the jump jets you can create the following effects provided it has enough power points remaining. jump jets start each day with 30 power points

- by expending 1 power point you can duplicate the effects of the catfall power, the power may be augmented as per the original power. this represents the wearer using the jets to control his fall speed.
    - by expending 3 power points you may duplicate the effects of the swift fly spell. this represents the wearer engaging the propulsion systems of the jets to fly for a brief period of time
    - by spending 3 power points you may duplicate the effects of the hustle power. this represents the wearer using the propulsion systems to initiate a short boost to quickly close a gap or increase his speed in battle.

so on any given day you could use the hustle power 10 times, fly for 10 rounds, negate up to 300ft of fall damage or any combination you feel like. for the price this feels pretty balanced to me. I calculated the price based on items with charges per day. basically i did the equation with 4 charges for both swift fly and hustle and 6 charges for catfall.

So what do you guys think? I am looking for advice on balancing mostly but please don't hesitate to P.E.A.C.H.

looking forward to hearing from you.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: making a jet pack

I can't speak to the pricing; I don't know psionics well enough. But this is exactly the kind of mechanics I would want to see in a jet pack. Good job!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Eldrikinetics (See: Gramarie)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

i thought about using grammarie but decided against it in favor of a more commonly used mechanic. besides, i think this works pretty well.

thanks for the replies