Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Dragon Knights Unleashed (IC Thread)

Many centuries ago, six powerful dragons, in mortal guise, rose to power. They conquered the world, and the constant warfare they waged against one another nearly destroyed the world as it was. These dragons then turned on their brothers, systematically hunting down and killing other dragons so they would be the final and supreme rulers of the world. With draconic help, the mortal races rose up and overcame their dragon rulers one by one.

These dragons were powerful enough that killing them outright would only prolong the struggle, as they all had contingencies and followers willing to raise them back to life. Ba'lazink, a gold dragon, came to the conclusion that imprisoning the dragons in magical armor that would prevent them from assuming draconic form, and serve as a warning to others as to what they were. Bound by spells to prevent their death, and place them outside of time, these dragons were forgotten to all but legend.

The Magic Armor the dragons were imprisoned in keeps them in a mortal form. The black steel helms that cover their faces are etched with warnings about what the dragons are. In legend, these dragons are called the Dragon Knights, because of the full plate they are trapped in. In a stroke of genius, Ba'lazink bound the Dragon Knights into the armor by magical locks that can only be broken by the other Dragon Knights. In this way, the world is safe until all six Dragon Knights are released, and can be brought together. Even then, the Dragon Knights, old enemies, will have to work together to be freed.

All was thought well until a knight in Black Steel armor was seen in the Court of King Elsenon. Many believe it to be a tactic to keep other nations from attacking, but it is possible that one of the Dragon Knights has been brought back into the world.

This has convinced the five of you to meet, putting aside old differences and past hatreds, to work together to uncover the truth of what is going on here. If a mere human King can recover one of the Dragon Knights, or merely has the gall to challenge dragons such as yourself in such a way, then something must be done.

You've decided to meet far from the prying eyes of lesser mortals, in the wastelands of Drinora. Your are surrounded by the bleached bones of ancient dragons and dragonkin, and no mortal would be foolish enough to step foot here. Occasionally a ghostly form of a long-dead wyrm will appear, and wander aimlessly for a time, before dissolving into mist. It is a place your kind holds sacred, and no dragon will attack another here. It is used most often for these kinds of meetings. Its second use is as a refuge for those dragons near death to live out their last days in peace.
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Dragon Knights Unleashed (IC Thread)

Ithlikar appears to be the first one to fly in. Circling the wastelands, he lands next to a skeleton of a dragon even bigger than he. Eying the are around him, he does a quick scan of the skies, to locate the other dragons, and watches as they glide nearby. Shifting into human form, he lands with a soft thump on the ground.

"Welcome to the Wastelands of Drinora, fellow dragons", he shouts up to the skies, where the other dragons still fly. He then takes a seat, resting on the skull of the magnificent skeleton, being careful not to shatter it.
    Last edited by Thump; 2012-09-27 at 09:16 AM.
    please note that incoherent posting is incoherent.
    -Kymme gets all the credit for my current avatar. ALL OF IT.-
    Sig-of-avatars is a GO!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by OneCalledBlue; Genderbent Ithlikar

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Arca

The Red's landing contains little in the way or grace and elegance; it does however, contain an appreciable amount of power, and her claws tear up great chunks from the group, and her hammering wings send up thick clouds of choking dust. Even her choice to land second of them all sends a message; that she does not need to be cautious of the others, that she does not consider them to be a threat.

Each action calculated for the impression it gives, Arca radiates equal amounts of confidence and contempt for everything other than herself. If this partnership is going to work, then it is important to establish proper respect from the beginning.

As the dust begins to settle, Arca expels a noisy sigh and settles in to a position that is half-lying, half-sitting and all lounging. She gazes around the wasteland with every indication of interest.

"I can't say I'm impressed so far," she says as her gaze momentarily settles on Ithilkar. "From the legends of this place I was expecting something more... foreboding,"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hevnograh is next to land, his massive bulk casting the entire area into shadow for a moment before he touches down. He approaches the meeting point on foot, swaggering and proud, and yet it does not escape notice that he places his steps carefully to avoid shattering even the smallest of the surrounding bones. Unlike the one already here, he remains in his natural Draconic form.

"Ithlikar." he rumbles in acknowledgement, before settling back and waiting for the others.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Shadrevaen suddenly appears at the edge of the clearing in his human form. He slowly makes his way toward the others, stoping here and there to take a look at the finer bones laying about, what an army he could raise here.

After making the others wait the proper amount of time, he finally reaches them and nods at them.

"Ithlikar, Hevnograh, Arcanasthrinox."
    Last edited by TheDon; 2012-09-27 at 11:17 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Nodding to Hevnograh in acknowledgement, Ilithkar turns to Arca, and gives a slight laugh, as he shakes his head. "This entire place is deserted. You won't see anything except, you know, us. That, and a few other skeletons. Unless...", he pauses, "you see some of the the ghosts. Not like they'll pose any harm, but that's all you'll see."
    Sig-of-avatars is a GO!
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

"The reputation comes from superstition, but only a fool discounts an enemy just because they are dead." Hevnograh says in his rumbling voice.

"Now, to business. This potential Dragon Knight in the human kingdom. We need to meet it, to determine if it truly is one of them."
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

"I agree, we need to verify the rumor's veracity. If it is a hoax, sanctions needs to be taken against the kingdom." His eyes getting smaller as he says this.

"The bigger problem, if one of the dragon knights was brought back, what do we do? We have to find a way to undermine him and even then, it will most likely take all five of us to take him down... if we are lucky." Shadrevaen shakes his head, dreading a straight on conflict with one of the famed dragon knight.

"Because of the possibility that the rumours are true, I suggest we use more indirect approaches, hiring people to cast divinations rather then do it ourself, infiltrate the castle... See if a simple communion spell is enough. We could try sending some minions against it in a straight confrontation, see how well he fairs... "

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Arca

She lets out a snort at Ithilkar's observation, but declines to comment on it. Instead saying to Hevnograh;

"We fly in, we burn the court and we see if it survives. If it doesn't, then it is not a Dragon Knight. If it does, it is worthy of further investigation. The solution is fast, elegant, and allows us to return to our affairs in the shortest possible time. The only difficulty is ascertaining the location of the so-called Dragon Knight before we destroy it,"

10. - Top - End - #10

Shifting back into his draconic form, Ithlikar turns sharply towards Arca, speaking up sharply. "If we burn the court, we'll have multiple kingdoms after our tails, you do realize this." Turning towards Shadrevaen, he speaks, slowly and quietly. "I can send one of my more powerful minions to the court. I agree with you."
    Sig-of-avatars is a GO!
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Arca

She smiles broadly, showing a number of very large, very sharp teeth.

"That statement assumes there would be survivors. And..." as Arca speaks, her form ripples and changes colour and shape until a mirror image of Ithilkar stands in her place, although without his equipment. "...what do you mean 'we'?"

A moment later, though, she has returned to her initial appearance as a female Red. "However, as the subtle approach offers more opportunity for entertainment I will not oppose you should you choose to go down that route,"

12. - Top - End - #12

Hevnograh chuckles deeply. "I agree with Arca. I've had kingdoms pursuing me before, it is hardly unmanageable. This talk of proxies and careful scouting by hired minions... It is foolish. Such things are for games and past-times, not potentially serious threats.

13. - Top - End - #13

Shaking his head, he growls in frustration.

"Look, I'm not worried about the kingdoms. We could crush them any time we wanted to. What I'm worried about... are the blademasters. Their skill isn't near mine..."
    , he scoffs, "but do you really want them chasing you? They are some of the more powerful mortals, some of them almost on par of the worthier opponents that I have faced. And there isn't just one. There are hundreds of them, maybe thousands. Who knows how many of them there are? If we make a ruckus, just like that, we'll get unwanted attention."
    Sig-of-avatars is a GO!
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

"The Blademasters have been chasing me for centuries. They're not bad, for mortal warriors, but I'm hardly worried about them." Hevnograh says in a dismissive tone. "Still, if you want to try something a bit more subtle, maybe we can pay a visit to this court. Maybe even in disguise. I admit, I am somewhat curious about this potential Knight. Might be worth speaking to it first."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

"Then perhaps we should keep to the shadows." you hear from perhaps a hundred feet away.

Everyone can now see a creeping mat of blackness, encroaching on the meeting area. Made up of tens of thousands diminutive shadow creatures it comes every closer until its frontmost edge crosses the unspoken border of the meeting place.
    Its tip slows, the rest pushing forward causing it to bubble upwards into a black pillar. The blackness parts in front revealing first a golden mask, then an equally gold-embossed book, held in one hand as the figure moves closer.

"But then again, none of you are particularly adept at that, if I remember correctly."

Appearance:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Re'ozul; 2012-09-27 at 12:40 PM.
    My first foray into homebrew: The Circuit Mage

/l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

Pudgy kitty needs more views

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bonehoarder - Necromantic Skeleton Shapeshifter
    Tahrven Millos - Arcane Hierophant
    Hordemaster Kordan - Ebon Initiate ... mostly
    Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Rooshkdor - Arrow Demon Archer
    Galen Medon - Batman?

16. - Top - End - #16

"We can go into the court and investigate this so-called dragon knight first. If he isn't, in fact, a dragon knight, we can lay waste to the palace. If he is...", he shrugs as best as a dragon can, turning to Arca once again, "we fall back, and lay waste to the entire city. Will that satisfy your need for malice, Arcanasthrinox?" Sighing, he sits down while shifting back into his human form. To him, it almost feels more natural. He pulls the magnificent sword that he carries with him from its sheath, and takes a few minutes to polish it.

"Besides, it would be a good opportunity to find someone to spar with. Maybe this knight is worthy of my steel."
    Sig-of-avatars is a GO!
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

"Semperon. A theatrical entrance, as always." Hevnograh greets the late arrival, barely any sarcasm in his tone at all.

"Still, the plan works well enough. Who knows, there might be something interesting there for the horde." With that, Hevnograh calls upon his inborn magic and shifts down into his humanoid form, that of an elf with dusky skin and pale white hair. A moment's thought and he appears clad in fine clothing, not neccessarily extravagant, but passable.

"Let's not waste too much time, then. I'll see you all at the palace, if you're coming. If not, well, you'll probably hear about it all soon enough."

With that, he vanishes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Greater Teleport, to get me to... say the roof of the Palace.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Semperon sighs so audibly that even though he wears a mask you can still hear it.
    "Does no one have a bit capacity for effeiciency? He could have taken us along.
    Oh well, would anyone else care for a trip to the center of all this trouble?"

/l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Galen Medon - Batman?

19. - Top - End - #19

"My abilities of teleportation are not exactly the most reliable. If you didn't mind, dear Semperon, could you please take me there as well?" He hands Semperon a small pouch of gold as compensation for the teleportation, while sheathing his sword. Everyone still present notices a tentacle growing out of his back, and it is the appendage sheathing the sword.

Spoiler
    Show
    I have given Semperon 250 GP.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC:

Maneuvers prepared:

Mountain Tombstone Strike, Time Stands Still, Adamantine Hurricane, Lightning Throw, Diamond Nightmare Blade, Iron Heart Surge, Death from Above
    Last edited by Thump; 2012-09-27 at 01:32 PM.
    Sig-of-avatars is a GO!
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

"Is anyone else in need of transportation?"

/l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Galen Medon - Batman?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Hevnograh reappears at the roof of a large stone building. The palace is a fortress, and you are fortunate the archers on the towers are looking for invaders from the outside, not sudden appearances on the rooftop.

The city around the palace spreads for many miles, with a large twisting river running through it. There are large crowds of people forming around the palace, but for what reason you cannot tell.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Shadrevaen groans as he sees the dragon disappear. "I was about to say that any repercussions might not be against us directly, but against all dragon kind. Clearly that doesn't matter now." Shadrevaen disappears also, appearing a short distance from Hevnograh and glares at him.

"Don't ruin it for everyone else and rush ahead without a plan, or I might just let you and watch from the sideline."

23. - Top - End - #23

"That... was perhaps the least convincing argument and threat I have ever heard. Congratulations. Now come on, something seems to be happening, and I'm curious."

With that, Hevnograh pulls up a hood to obscure most of his head, and uses Dimension Door to reappear in a small alleyway near the edge of the gathering crowds around the palace (If Shadravaen doesn't object, he'll take him along too). He moves off, blending rapidly into the crowd and watching with interest to see if he can work out what's gotten them so interested.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Shadrevaen lets himself be teleported down and whispers to Hevnograh before he leaves.

"You know you need us, else you wouldn't have came to the meeting, take it for the threat it is. And, clearly, I'm going to punch you in the face is a *much* scarier threat...

He then walks off, not trying to hide his identity as Kavenoff the XVII any, as a matter of fact, he would rather be recognized as a noble.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Arca

As she stares at the spot where the other two had vanished moments before, her eyes glitter.

"I could use the lift. I wouldn't miss this for anything," she says, and then mutters a word that has her flesh shiver and run like water, and her form seems to almost implode, until all that's left is a human woman in rough travelling clothes and a long green cape.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Grabbing hold of the other two that are still with him Semperon closes his eyes and calls to his mind memories of places close to the palace that are very rarely frequented by anyone. Sometimes it helps being a wanderer.
    Having found the best possible place for the moment he incantates.

"Space is but a concept, for our will transcends it and our magic forms it. By will of our minds it becomes meaningless, for we are where we believe to be."

/l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Galen Medon - Batman?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Teleporting below, the dragons mingle with the crowd. The crowd is yelling and shouting at the guards, and most of it is about the Dragon Knight. The people don't want to have the Dragon Knight in the country at all. They remember the legends of their power, and think the king is a fool for trying to use a Dragon Knight.

28. - Top - End - #28

"Well...", Ithlikar slumps against a nearby wall, listening in to the crowd's protests.

"Blast. Alright, we need to meet up with the others and get into the castle. Show no mercy on this Dragon Knight. If he's out, we don't want him freeing the others. At this point, there's little this kingdom can do. If they're harboring him...", he stomps, "We'll just have to show them why you don't keep them around."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check to find Hevnograh and Shadrevean. (d20+46)[53]
    Sig-of-avatars is a GO!
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

"Hmm. If no one objects, I can cause a distraction, and see if I can draw this Knight out here, along with most of the rest of the guards. You can use the commotion to get inside, or concentrate on the Knight when he stands revealed."

Hevnograh leans against the wall next to Ithlikar and the others, clearly having not gone very far. He makes no effort to disguise the eagerness in his voice, but at least he seems more willing to cooperate with the others than before.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Shadrevaen teleports once again, this time to the castle entrance, appearing in plain sight.

He then addresses the guards there requesting an audience as Kavenoff the XVII, so that he may witness the might of this dragon knight himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy : (1d20+58)[62]