New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Battle for the Five Nations

Edwin frowned. "I don't like it. Half of battle is surprise, and I don't think fanatics of the type described are given to surrender. They'll fight."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Surely they would rather lose their prisoners than an important defensive holding. Plus, this way we can possibly alert Ajani to our plan, and have forces on the inside to make sure the hostages are safe during the fight. Besides, while they'll be ready for a fight, they won't be ready for a fight where their walls have fallen in." Replies Dallun, clearly doubting that them being prepared will counteract the loss of the wall.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

"You think they won't guess our plan if we warn them off the walls? You think you're the first caster to ever attack a wall? Besides, they won't see it as losing the fort or the prisoners. They'll see it as fight or surrender. "

"Better to just attack and be done with it. We have already wasted far too much time on talk."
    Last edited by Imperial Psycho; 2012-12-11 at 09:33 AM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Firbolg in the Playground

Raja nods to Edwin's comment "Indeed fanatics of any colour will not give an inch, if anything start hammering the walls from one side and the rest of us can sneak in through a portal I create on the other side."
    Blarg...

5. - Top - End - #215

"I believe I can draw their attention most significantly while you break in. However, this plan would be aided by a better understanding of their ways. Kera, would you be able to quickly explain the basics of their faith to me, such that I may fool them more thoroughly? With any luck, we can spare their lives by way of trickery instead of diplomacy. And failing that, I'll have the prefect distraction."
    Spoiler
    Show
    The preparations for this are going to cost me 5 AP. but I'll be painting a big target over my head after getting piles of DR, so they will be totally focused on me.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

"W-well, I can t-try; give me just a moment to r-remember..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Religion (1d20+5)[16]
    Lore (1d20+4)[12]

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Most people know of the fanaticism of the Thranes and it is hardly exaggerated. They tend to enter battle as a mob and take huge casualties, troops are poorly trained and under equipped but they have the light of the Silver Flame to guide them. Each death is a sign of piety. The military structure follows the religious structure and even common soldiers consider themselves templars of the faith.

The religion itself holds the view that the Silver Flame is a force that exists throughout the world and that those who die as worshippers go to join the Silver Flame and become one with it. This isn't so much as an individual afterlife but a contribution to a greater whole. That is often reflected in other teachings of selflessness and bravery, purity, sacrifice and piety. Tira Miron, a paladin of Dol Arrah, gave her life in battle with a demon and in so doing trapped it in a pillar of silver fire. She became the Voice of the Silver Flame and an example that led to the new religion springing up.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

Tolan sighs, "I shall return with whoever will come with me. Those who choose to fight should remain here with...with her." He gathers a group of the older shifters together and starts to move the cart round.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219

Raja looks at Tolan and nods "If that is what you wish, we will not hinder you in any way but I think it would be best if you stayed out here... if you returned without your overseers then you may as well sound the alarm and condemn your brothers to their death."
    Blarg...

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

"R-raja is p-probably right about that..."

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Tolan slumps down on the back of the cart and puts his head in his hands, "Just tell us what you want us to do that won't get us killed then. All we want to do is stay clear of the war. Why can't you just leave us alone? We don't want to be involved, we never wanted to be involved."
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222

Raja lets out a sigh "And I want to go back to my ancestral homeland without having humans butcher it or us. The point is the world doesn't work that way, life is dynamic and you have to make the choice of adapting to it or dying out. If you wish you and your people to be isolated in a tiny area then yes for a time you may be left alone but you should know that the world won't allow you to stay like that forever. Now you can stay here and mope or carve out a place for you and your families. If you choose to sit on the sidelines that I guarantee that when the smoke clears the terms of your life will be dictated by others. If you want to stay out of our way then fine those that don't wish to aid us stay here and after we're done go home; however, do not blame us for the consequences of your inaction." She turns to the others "It is time for us to get on, we have a comrade inside, albeit a rather petulant one, and time is not our ally. If you prefer to stay out of it by all means do so, though i suggest that you take your families somewhere else after we're done. If you come with us well get ready things may or may not get ugly, I will lead everyone in through the wooden side of the fort if our friend Dallan would be kind enough to provide us with a distraction."
    Blarg...

13. - Top - End - #223

Travel back to Breland with us. Once we get to the rail, travel further into Breland, and then either seek refuge. Breland is large, and I'm sure there is somewhere you could call home. Or, if you don't like that idea, you could get a ship to Q'Barra from Sharn. Now, I have a distraction to prepare for. Raja, how long until you're in position?.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Your words rouse several of the shifters who move to stand with Badger. After a moment Tolan pulls himself together, "Alright, I can see your point and it is better to stick together even if the danger is great." It is clear that he still doesn't approve but he seems more cooperative now, "Just tell us what you need us to do but remember that we're woodsfolk, not trained soldiers. Most of us can use a bow, an axe or a spear but we have wood axes, not weapons."

Just then there is a bird call repeated from along the path followed by the sound of heavy running footsteps approaching you. The call is a signal that enemies approach for those conversant in the such things.
    Spoiler
    Show
    i.e. Any ranks in Survival.
    The shifter soldiers hide immediately, weapons ready but hidden.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #225

Raja smiles and says to Tolan "Well you can either hide or distract who is tramping along... though due to them being racist pigs i doubt they believe you despite it being the truth." With a wink she ducks behind a tree.

Spoiler
    Show
    time to hide though she has no ranks in it blarg... (1d20)[18]
    Blarg...

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing Raja duck behind a tree, Kera does likewise, scrambling to avoid tripping over her robe.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+1)[19]

17. - Top - End - #227
    Barbarian in the Playground

Gerilow grumbles and tries to find his own place to hide.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[2]

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Edwin quickly scrambles to find a hiding place along with the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[25]

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Four Thrane guards come running along the path. As they catch up with the cart they yell out, "Back to the fort, now. There's raiders around." At this point they notice the bodies of the other guards and Gerilow attempting to hide. His full plate stands out against the greens and browns of the wood around. There is a moment where the soldiers stand in shock and then they turn and run. "Attack, attack from the east," one yells as he sprints away.

Spoiler
    Show
    The men are unarmoured and sprinting. They start 30 feet from the front of the cart and are moving along the path. The path isn't straight. If you wish to shoot they have cover if they are more than 30 feet away as the trees block line of sight. The path isn't curved enough to cut corners by much and the terrain would slow a pursuer down more than it would advantage them.

The guards initiative.
    1 (1d20)[17]
    2 (1d20)[6]
    3 (1d20)[9]
    4 (1d20)[2]
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230

"Hosts! I was still looking for somewhere to hide!" Gerilow complains, snatching his crossbow from his hip. The short warrior stumbles through the underbrush after the soldiers, fumbling a bolt into his crossbow. Pausing a moment, he tries to line up a shot through the trees and lets the bolt loose.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative - (1d20+1)[9]

Move action - However far he can move toward the soldiers in the underbrush
    Free Action - Load Crossbow

To Hit - (1d20+4)[6]
    Damage - (1d8)[4]

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing their cover is blown, Kera stands and begins casting a spell, trying to place her summon as close to the furthest away Thrane soldier as is possible.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative: (1d20+5)[11]

Summon Monster II - using it to summon a Celestial Riding Dog on the opposite side (if possible) of the furthest enemy from me. The dog will attempt to Trip the Thrane it's summoned nearest to.

Dog's attack: (1d20+3)[17]

Dog's Damage if hit: (1d6+3)[9]

Dog's Strength Check (for trip attempt if the attack hits): (1d20+2)[9]

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Edwin swears as he sees the soldiers run off. Bursting out of the brush and casting at the same time, he rushes after them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20)[8]
    Casting Swift Expeditious Retreat; details here.
    Which makes my base land speed 70ft per round for this round. Then I'll charge if I have a straight line, or if I can't get the straight line necessary for a charge, I'll just move and attack. Aim for anyone who moved. if possible.
    Attack: (1d20+8)[9] +2 On a charge
    Damage: (1d8+4)[8]

Last edited by Imperial Psycho; 2013-01-12 at 01:14 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233

Dallun rather calmly loads his crossbow and fires it at one of the Thrane soldiers who didn't yell, while seeming rather unconcerned with being found. That is the point of a decoy, isn't it?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Init (1d20+2)[15]
    attack (1d20+4)[17]
    damage (1d8)[8]

24. - Top - End - #234

Raja smiles and makes a bird call for a jay, signalling her men to slip away and go towards the fort. Raja follows suit and slips away from battle knowing that she and her men are most likely unnoticed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+2)[9]
    stealth (1d20)[6] this will have a rather large modifiers due to the fact that the soldiers are now in battle and are focusing on the people attacking them hehe
    Blarg...

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial Psycho View Post
    Edwin swears as he sees the soldiers run off. Bursting out of the brush and casting at the same time, he rushes after them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: [roll0]
    Casting Swift Expeditious Retreat; details here.
    Which makes my base land speed 70ft per round for this round. Then I'll charge if I have a straight line, or if I can't get the straight line necessary for a charge, I'll just move and attack. Aim for anyone who moved. if possible.
    Attack: [roll1] +2 On a charge
    Damage: [roll2]

Is the hit roll already including the +2 for the charge?
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

GM
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, I put it separately in case I was unable to charge.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Round 1 summary

Initiative order
    {table]Character|Initiative
    Guard 1|17
    Dallun|15
    Kera|11
    Celestial Riding Dog|11
    Gerilow|9
    Raja|9
    Guard 3|9
    Edwin|9
    Guard 2|6
    Guard 4|2[/table]

Dallun's shot plucks leaves from the trees as it moves through the foliage and embeds itself neatly in the neck of the lead guard as he runs away.

Kera concentrates and plucks a hound from Lamannia, temporarily depositing it in this plane. It leaps under the approaching guard, biting into his leg and bearing him down to the ground where they roll over one another. Moments later the dog rises, blood dripping from it's fangs.

Gerilow loads his bolt badly and it shoots off early, missing the running guards.

Raja fades into the trees, signalling the other shifters to do the same. She is joined by the freed shifter workers too.

Edwin's spell takes effect and gives him a huge burst of speed, the path winds slightly but is straight enough to change along and his blow takes the trailing guard in the back, cutting him down with a cry of "Run, brother, run."

The last guard drops his club and puts all his strength into sprinting away. At the end of the round he is another 120 feet away and haring off as fast as his legs can carry him.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera motions first to the celestial riding dog, then toward the fleeing man. "P-please retrieve him."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not precisely sure what to do here... the dog is faster than the guy - 40ft speed vs 30ft, so the dog will definitely overtake him; but to catch up with him will take the full round, so unless I'm failing to remember something important all the dog can do is persistently run alongside him...

I'm going to include an attack and trip attempt here in case there's some rule I've mis-remembered or overlooked though; just in case.

Attack: (1d20+3)[8]

Damage: (1d6+3)[7]

Strength for Trip Attempt: (1d20+2)[17]

29. - Top - End - #239

Dallun simply reloads and fires again. Odds are bad, but hey, this shot might be lucky too.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[14] attack (includes -2 from 2nd range increment
    (1d8)[3] damage
    oh and if it matters, he loses any Dex bonus to AC while running (unless he has the run feat)

30. - Top - End - #240

Restricted by his armor, Gerliow continues to do his best to chase the remaining guard. Loading his crossbow again, he takes another shot.

Spoiler
    Show

To hit: (1d20+4)[11]
    Damge: (1d8)[5]