New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [Discord, 3.5, Roll20] Death, Terror, and Madness in Freeport. Sunday Nights

In the heart of the briny deep, where shadows dance and secrets keep,
    There lies a sign, a cursed sight, bathed in an eerie yellow light.
    Tales be told of those who dare, to gaze upon its dread stare,
    Madness grips, insanity reigns, as terror flows through their veins.

Howdy all! I am looking to start a game over Discord, it looks like we're allowed to recruit for those here, so I will be doing that (I'll be cross recruiting in several other places as well.) I will be running the Freeport Trilogy, with some significant expansions! And I will be intending to run the follow-on adventures as well!

Campaign Document: (To be expanded as the game gets closer)
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

The game is going to run Sunday Nights at 9 PM EST.

Big 16

1. ) I will be running 3.5 D&D, with a few third party additions.

2.) The game will be pulp horror, we'll be running through the Death in Freeport Trilogy and I'm intending to run through Black Sails over Freeport as well. All the adventures will be significantly expanded. We will be using some of the horror rules from Ravenloft d20. The game will take place in Freeport and will be in Greyhawk

3.) I am looking for six players. I am not intending to take any alternates, but if there is a significant amount of interest I may take an alternate or two.

4.) The game will be conducted on Discord over voice chat with Roll20 being used for maps and VTT needs. It will take place on Sundays at 9 PM Eastern Standard Time.

5.) Characters will be second level at the beginning of the game.

6.) Characters will start with the normal WBL for 2nd level characters, or 900 Gold.

7.) I'm open to many classes, possibly including third party classes. There are some classes that might find some difficulty in the setting it is fairly urban, so for example a Dread Necromancer might some have some difficulty, however we can discuss any potential classes. I'm definitely down for Prestige Classes as well.

8.) Almost any official race can be considered. Freeport is relatively cosmopolitan so if you want to play a more "monstrous" race you are likely to have less issues with than you might in other urban city environments. We will use the E6 rules for Level Adjustment Modification.

9.) Ability Scores will be 32 Point buy for all +0 LA races. HP will be either the average or rolled at your discretion. The half point will be tracked rather than rounded. Meaning that you will gain essentially one extra point per two levels.

10.) I like alignment and I will be using it. I don't necessarily want it to be a straitjacket however. And it may not apply to every character. You will be fighting an evil cult your characters should be motivated to do that, although the motivation could be altered.

11.) Multiclassing is allowed, XP Penalties and Favored Classes are ignored. Classes with multiclass restrictions (Paladin and Monk for example) no longer have those restrictions.

12.) Dice will be rolled on Roll20. Folks roll their own dice. I will make every attempt to be transparent about dice rolling. I don't like to fudge, so I won't and I will be open about that.

13.) We will be using the Fear, Horror, and Madness rules from Ravenloft d20.

14.) A lengthy character background is... not required. In fact if you send more than a couple pages, I'm probably not going to read it all. Brevity is the soul of wit. I'm actually more interested in where you intend for your character to go in terms of their arc than I am in who they were before.

15.) There is a moderate amount of hack and slash, it's pulp horror. There is quite a bit of investigation. I use the Alexandrian's Three Clue rule and generally try to make that as clear as possible. There may be some dungeon crawling later on.

16.) All official material is on the table. Web Enhancements included. I may restrict that list depending on the specifics of the character involved. Generally, for me, everything is a discussion rather than a hard ban list. A prestige class might be fine for Duskblade but absolutely broken on a Wizard.
    Last edited by AMFV; 2024-04-03 at 11:59 PM.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Discord, 3.5, Roll20] Death, Terror, and Madness in Freeport. Sunday Nights

How long will the sessions last?
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Discord, 3.5, Roll20] Death, Terror, and Madness in Freeport. Sunday Nights

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    How long will the sessions last?
    That is a very good question! I forgot to put that information down! Typically I aim for around three hours as the "sweet spot" some sessions may go longer and some sessions may go ten to fifteen minutes shorter depending on what a good stopping point is. I find that three hours is about the best amount of time for maintaining interest and quality of play.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Soulkn...e_(3.5e_Class)

I guess my remaining big questions are if a discord is available now for planning stuff, and or if you would allow this soul knife fix or had a soul knife fix that you'd allow for this 3.5 adventure. I'm certainly not going to try running an as-written SK.

Fallback idea is for a barbarian possibly.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Soulkn...e_(3.5e_Class)

I guess my remaining big questions are if a discord is available now for planning stuff, and or if you would allow this soul knife fix or had a soul knife fix that you'd allow for this 3.5 adventure. I'm certainly not going to try running an as-written SK.

Fallback idea is for a barbarian possibly.
    I will probably be making the Discord sometime this weekend once I have a little bit more interest. But that should be fairly soon I'll want to get that done before I'm back at work next week.

I have to take a look at that in more depth but I will definitely be open to a Soul knife fix. Like if not that one we'll find another one.

Barbarian would also work.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Definitely interested if you haven't filled up your six slots already!
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdim View Post
    This is a were-bear who can get so angry he turns into a bear while he's a bear.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Definitely interested if you haven't filled up your six slots already!
    There is still an open slot! What kind of character were you thinking?