New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Tome of Radiance: Mastering the Power of Love and Justice

I don't mind the female pronouns, mostly because you see a bunch of them in the PHB itself for classes and in some feats. It's mostly a flavor thing, and with Magical Girls being a part of Anime that is mostly female I wasn't surprised or turned off at all by it.

Any guy who is turned off the Tome of Radiance just because of female pronouns really need to just let that stuff go.

As for the classes, looking into DMing a game with pretty much just them. I'll tell you how it goes.

2. - Top - End - #512

Quote Originally Posted by caledscratcher View Post
    Okay, I don't have much of anything to say on this conversation and instead focus on res's comment on Form Pearl. It's basically Scribe Scroll mixed with Craft Wand, but for Wielders of Light. In essence you store a single illumination in a pearl, which can be used with Spellcraft to evoke such an illumination, much like a Wand, but with a lower maximum number of charges due to the motes you need to put forth. You also remove a certain number of motes from your pool for each day you work on it. Is that an alright clarification? I'd be happy to clarify more!

Oh, and with regard to the spoilers thing, I actually did remove the spoilers from the components list, in addition to the top spoiler. uvu
    I was thinking more along the lines of

Interceptor Components Available:
    Spoiler
    Show

Blast Components:

Foundation: Clinging, Power, Flare
    Shape: Chains, Explosion, Beam, Imbue
    Secondary:Horizon, Prism, Sharpshooting, Vile

Barrier Components:

Foundation: Carnage, Shadows, Shelter, Zone
    Shape: Dominions, Borders, Strongholds
    Secondary: Pilgrimage, Returning, Ancients, Anchors

Surge Components:

Foundation: Battles, Denunciations, Isolation, Might
    Shape: Awakening, Bolts, Pulses
    Secondary: Amplitude, Awe, Echoes, Promises

Form Pearl
    Prerequisites: evoker level 3rd
    Benefit: You gain the ability to form radiant pearls. This process is much the same to scribing a scroll, and it takes the same amount of time. However, rather than storing a single spell, a pearl stores uses of a single illumination. As part of crafting a pearl, you select one illumination you know to store in it, and lose a number of motes until your next extended rest equal to the illumination's cost multiplied by the number of uses of that illumination that you put into the pearl. The maximum number of uses of an illumination that can be put in a pearl is equal to 1/4 of the mote cost multiplied by her evoker level, rounded up. Any character can make a Spellcraft check (DC 10 + stored illumination's mote cost) to evoke an illumination from a pearl, but evokers get a +2 radiant bonus on this check. Once all uses of a pearl's illumination have been used, it dissipates into luminant energy. The total cost of forming a pearl is equivalent to the half of the amount of motes expended each day * 200 gp.
    Form Pearl [Item Creation]

Prerequisite: Evoker level 3rd.

Benefit: You can form radiant pearls of illuminations you know. A radiant pearl is a equivalent to a spell completion item with caster level equal to its evoker level, and spell level equal to half its evoker level, and emulates an illumination's effect when used. Any character may make use of a radiant pearl with a Use Magic Device check (DC 20 + evoker level); an evoker gets a +2 radiant bonus on this check.

Forming a radiant pearl takes one day for each 1000 gp in its base price. The base price of a radiant pearl is 12.5 gp × its caster level2. To form a radiant pearl, you must spend 1/25 of this base price in XP and use up raw materials costing one-half of this base price.

A radiant pearl stores uses of a single illumination. While forming a radiant pearl, you must invest motes equal to the illumination's mote cost; these motes are returned when you next prepare illuminations.

something to this effect?

... not sure I approve.
    Last edited by sreservoir; 2013-08-05 at 06:59 PM.

3. - Top - End - #513

Quote Originally Posted by Merellis View Post
    I don't mind the female pronouns, mostly because you see a bunch of them in the PHB itself for classes and in some feats. It's mostly a flavor thing, and with Magical Girls being a part of Anime that is mostly female I wasn't surprised or turned off at all by it.

Any guy who is turned off the Tome of Radiance just because of female pronouns really need to just let that stuff go.

As for the classes, looking into DMing a game with pretty much just them. I'll tell you how it goes.
    Is the game going to be here? If so, I'm totally going to apply, assuming it's still open to applications.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    All in all, this is very interesting. Is there a reason why the Child of Light prestige class isn't on the first page?
    Primarily disagreements about the apparently draconian alignment restrictions and it being overpowered for giving a LA 2 template + a few other things in ten levels.

Or Selinia just forgot. Either is possible. Although considering that Light's Artist didn't make it onto there either, it's probably the latter. I would appreciate your thoughts on both if you wouldn't mind though

Oh, and thank you very much for you kind words in regards to what I've designed (amusingly, I hadn't even considered the relation to Kingdom Hearts in regards to the Heartwielder - go figure). Due to my class making skills working off inspiration fueled at least in part by critique, I may actually get around to tossing up the Gray Guard PrC I've had floating around for a while.

Might even put up Bringer of Twilight too, although it's verging heavily into morally questionable territory with what it gives the user.

Regardless, thanks.

And if I might make a few points from my own experience of both DMing and playing with these classes (not the PrCs though, they hadn't been written yet), these classes are strong. Are they tier 1 material? No, not really. Tier 2? That...honestly depends on if you know what you're doing, although even what I've learnt to do with these classes is probably only high tier 3.

For example, I have a level 4 Champion in a game. She has a Marksman Device with the Twinned Device feat. Note, this character is still using the old Enhanced Armaments as that class feature has yet to be fully updated. When I full attack, she does 2d6+3 to two targets if she hits. Her AB is +6 and in full combat I am routinely roll against touch AC instead of standard via the use of the Weightless cartridge boost effect.

And then Twinned Device kicks in. Which does another 4d6+6 to all foes within 10' of the foe I hit. Reflex for half against that AoE effect mind, but still.

So at level 4 I'm doing - assuming I hit with full BAB vs Touch AC - 8d6+12 damage to my opponent. If I layer in an assault blast, it jumps to 10d6+12.

Now, of course, 4d6+6 of that can be halved if my foes pass their reflex save. Or obviated entire if they have evasion and succeed. But the point still stands. This is something that my character can do pretty much for an entire fight - most combats at that level don't last much longer that 4 rounds - and I defy you to find me anything that isn't truly splaterific that can do the same.

6d6+6 at absolute minimum, and as I'm targeting touch AC, I generally need nothing more than a 5 to hit. And that's not even counting that the ranged version of Twinned is an area of effect damage effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    Primarily disagreements about the apparently draconian alignment restrictions
    Insanely draconian.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Insanely draconian.
    Having that discussion at the next meetup. Leave it alone
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Show

<struck dumb>

7. - Top - End - #517

Night Devil: Evil themed? Yeah, it is, and as such I'd have to say no thank you. Interesting though that the class get's bonuses against being turned back towards the light. Seems pretty fitting.
    Dark magical girls are not necessarily evil.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vasharanpaladin View Post
    Most of the time however, they are.
    Show

<struck dumb>

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ettin in the Playground

Night Devil doesn't demand you to be evil, however. It is about dark powers born of dark events and the people who use them. For good or ill.

A Night Devil is supposed to be jaded and possibly introverted, caustic or abrasive, but none of these things require that the person be actively malicious, just antisocial.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

10. - Top - End - #520
    Troll in the Playground

The intent of my message was not that of "Waaaaaah, I wanna play a light wielder without having to be a girrrl," but rather one of: "Oh, hey, this guy might have a point about people not paying attention to this awesome series of classes. If he's right, what's the most likely reason? Hmmmmm...Oh, I know! Perhaps it's the extreme emphasis on the feminine pronoun! If I suggest they change it and they do, perhaps this really awesome set of classes will get more traffic and guys like me might have a better chance at actually playing one on these boards!"
    I'm going to ignore everything else and focus on this, because this is objectively at odds with 3.5's writing in general.

3.5 consistently uses the female pronouns to refer to the player throughout Core. It is frequently used to refer to characters. It was a conscious decision by the designers to do so. Nit picking this single point as something "wrong" with the class is showing an ignorance of one of the main philosophies of 3.5: they tried top open up the market to female gamers a bit more by using female pronouns pretty much exclusively. I recall there being a sidebar in one of the core books explaining it too.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    I'm going to ignore everything else and focus on this, because this is objectively at odds with 3.5's writing in general.

3.5 consistently uses the female pronouns to refer to the player throughout Core. It is frequently used to refer to characters. It was a conscious decision by the designers to do so. Nit picking this single point as something "wrong" with the class is showing an ignorance of one of the main philosophies of 3.5: they tried top open up the market to female gamers a bit more by using female pronouns pretty much exclusively. I recall there being a sidebar in one of the core books explaining it too.
    I was pious of that, but went to check and the male pronoun is used quite often as well.

My guess is that the pronoun is used more in regards to the term "class" (which is a feminine noun, I believe?) than anything else.

Authors vary on that however. When I write homebrew, for instance, I stick exclusively to masculine pronouns (homebrewing for this one is an exception I kind of have to battle through habit with, because I am a stickler for form, and the form here is feminine pronouns).
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

12. - Top - End - #522

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, I'm only beginning on the making you look bad

Got two more PrCs for you, and...something else. Oh, and another PrC about half way done. I don't think I have ideas for any more after this, but we'll see. This one was a lot of fun, it being in effect, the real old school magical girl.

Child of Light

"Key of the Light
    With powers burning bright
    Reveal the staff
    And shine your light!
    Release!"

- Ancestor Sakura, one of the great Heroes of Light, upon releasing her seal.

Eons ago, in a distant past that had yet to see the birth of many of our stars, the first generation of children gifted with the Light was born. Before the time of the Evokers came, with their refined understanding of the Light, in the dawn where primal life basked in the gentle glow of young stars rose to emulate this radiance. These progenitors would come to be known as the Heroes of Light. Each of them tall as a titan and creating a legacy that outlasted even the memory of their names and identities.

They spread the Light wherever they went, and in their wake new souls were gifted with Light. These were the seeds from whence Evokers would later bloom. In time, even these living legends perished to the trials of their brave existences and the ravages of time. The world can be unkind to such pure souls.

But even in death, the spark which these chosen children carried does not die. It endures, precious and eternal, and with every cycle of the wheel they return. Their memories may not follow with them, but their wisdom, kindness and the strange nature of their souls which first made this miracle possible very much does.

They are the Children of Light. Bearer of an ancient legacy and inheritors of a legend that transcends space and time. They are the primordial bearers of the Light. And though they cannot hope to fully emulate the power they once used at the origin of time, they grasp the Light in ways which others can barely comprehend and never emulate.

More so than any others, the Light was the fate of these pure and holy souls.

The darkness very much fears them.

Requirements
    To become Child of Light, you must fulfill the following criteria:
    Alignment: Any Good
    Feat: Ancestral Radiant (detailed below)
    Special: Evoker Level 6, Power of Friendship.

Spoiler
    Show
    Level seven entry requiring feat, alignment and full Evoker class up to that point (or truly excessive feat use)

Class Skill List: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge [History] (Int), Knowledge [Local] (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Spoiler
    Show
    Children aren't going to use skills that often more likely than not. But giving them the list shown seemed to fit best with their nature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Level 1 only feat. It's had some work done on it from the base, but I think this is pretty solid.

Child of Light
    Hit Dice: d8

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Illuminations

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Enhanced Weaving, Heritage Bound, Incorruptible, Primordial Light, Ancestral Seal (Staff)|

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    ||
    +1 level of existing class

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Eternal Grace|

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Ancestral Seal (Body)|
    |

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Hope Never Dies|

6th|
    +6
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |An End to Darkness|

7th|
    +7
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Ancestral Seal (Mind)|

8th|
    +8
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Hope Lives On|

9th|
    +9
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Light Springs Eternal|

10th|
    +10
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Ancestral Seal (Spirit)|
    [/table]

Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty good chassis. Full BAB, all good saves, but only d8 hd and extremely limited evoker progression. Don't worry there though, it's nowhere near as bad as it looks.

Illuminations: A Child of Light loses little of her power as an evoker, by the primordial power of her ancestor makes it slightly harder for her to craft Illuminations as her sisters do. A Child of Light continues to progress access to Illuminations from her Evoking Class, as well as her Evoker Level, as shown. If she has more than one Evoking Class, then she must choose one of them when she takes her first level in Child of Light. Once made, this choice cannot be changed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually true due to one of their first class features. See below.

Enhanced Weaving (Ex): A Child of Light remains fully capable of weaving her Light into protective shells as she could before awakening her heritage. And the primordial, impossible strength that flows from that heritage grants her great power.

A Child of Light gains additional costume elements as if her levels in Child were levels in her previous evoking class or Empath, whichever is more advantageous.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magical girls of this era were all about costume to a degree far more than many of the later ones. So this fits.

Heritage Bound (Ex): Once awakened, the heritage of a Child can never be sealed again. It can only be completed. Once a character takes her first level in Child, she may not exit for the full ten levels until her heritage is fully awakened.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stolen shamelessly from Sublime Chord in terms of basic wording, this is a very good showing for the fact that, once you start down this path, you can't stop. It's just as much a sacrifice of yourself as it is anything else.

Incorruptible (Ex): Children of Light are stalwart in their convictions and pure in their intentions as no others can be. No force may alter their Alignment less than their own freely chosen actions. Any action they may take that may alter their Alignment is fully disclosed to the player by the DM. This comes as a flash of insight to the Child. Whenever any force conspires to make the Child act outside the bounds of her Alignment, she not only disregards the influence but may roll a second saving throw to break out of it. If no saving throw was allowed, then one is allowed at a standard DC.

A Child who ceases to be good or who willfully commits an evil act loses all Child of Light abilities. She may not progress any farther in levels as a Child of Light.

Spoiler
    Show
    This one got lost in the building of the class - my fault for composite building over several days via Skype, but answers the question of going evil and suchlike quite easily.

You. Don't.

Primordial Light (Su): The Children of Light’s power is that of another age, ancient and unbound unlike that of any other Evoker. Her garb is that of the Light’s own, and it cannot be content with the falsehood of a physical form. It burns with the Light of an ancient beacon, and grants her safety against those that would try to harm her.

At 1st level, a Child of Light gains a special costume effect that is always active and gained in addition to all others. Furthermore, she automatically has (class level) motes invested into it, without lowering her mote pool and bypassing normal investment limits.

Effect: The Child gains 20% concealment. This special concealment grants no other benefits of concealment, such as interfering with line of sight or protecting against precision damage.

Essence Boost: For every 3m invested in this effect, increase the Child of Light’s concealment by 5%, to a maximum of 50%. If at least 12m are invested, the Child gains Regeneration/Evil equal to one third of the motes invested. If 20m or more are invested, all lethal damage dealt to the Child is converted to nonlethal. If the Child is in any way immune to non-lethal damage, the damage counts as lethal for bypassing the immunity.

Spoiler
    Show
    No Cartridge Boost here. That's extremely deliberate, mainly as Cartridges are definitely a far more modern magical girl thing. And really, this doesn't need a Cartridge Boost effect. It's good enough on its own.

Ancestral Seal (Su): At first level, the radiant heritage of the Child’s past blooms into life, reaching out from beyond the veil of death and finding purchase in the very core of the roaring fire that burns at her heart. This heritage brings many gifts, but it also sets the Child apart as the bearer of an ancient and eternal legacy that will, in time, change her utterly.

At level one, the Child of Light’s device is fundamentally altered, becoming more a trinket than any real weapon. It becomes a potent focus for her Illuminations, allowing her to treat her Child of Light Evoker Level as full progression for all purposes. In addition, she becomes literally incapable of dealing any form of lethal damage. She always deals nonlethal damage, even to creatures immune to it. For the purposes of regeneration or fast healing, it counts as lethal damage.

The Child of Light crafts her Illuminations as if she was holding her Device whilst doing so, hence at full evoker level.

At level four, the Child’s connection to her ancestral Hero of Light expands further, wrapping her body in protective Light that secures her from many dangers. She gains a permanent effect as Lesser Globe of Invulnerability while wearing her costume, and may add her Evoker Stat Modifier as an Insight bonus to AC.

At level seven, the blazing radiance of the Child’s primordial power twines into being around her mind, securing her thoughts from the influence of those who might try to twist her to their will. She gains a permanent effect as a double strength Magic Circle against Evil.

And as she attains her tenth level, the ancient fire of the Hero she is becoming erupts across her very being, changing her irrevocably into something far more than mortal. She will still age, and wither and die. But for her time amongst the living, she is forever set apart as one of the great forces of mortal Light of her generation.

The Child of Light becomes an Outsider with the Native and Good subtypes. She gains immunity to acid, cold, electricity and petrification as well as Fire Resistance 10 and a +4 racial bonus against poison. In addition, her Magic Circle against Evil effect improves for her alone, granting her the effects of a permanent effect as Holy Aura.

Any creature looking upon the reborn Hero of Light immediately intuits her as a creature of overwhelming and radiant purity. Unless the Child of Light takes explicit measure to conceal her alignment, it is as plain to sight as the glow of dawn over the horizon.

Spoiler
    Show
    So...yeah. You're EL counts as full so long as you've got your trinket in hand, which is something so absolutely fitting it almost hurts. The rest of this is basically the Saint Template sans stat bonuses and a few other things. Well, and with the addition of permanent Holy Aura.

Eternal Grace (Su): Children of Light are a breed set apart, moving with a grace that speaks of more age then there is in the life of the universe. That grace, enhanced by the Light that courses through them, grants them protection against much that would harm them.

A Child of Light gains a bonus to all saving throws equal to her (Evoker Stat Modifier). This does not stack with Divine Grace.

Spoiler
    Show
    Divine Grace for Evokers. This is one of the main reasons that this class is rather restrictive on entrance and cannot be dipped.

Hope Never Dies (Su): It was hope that was the cornerstone of much of the power that the Heroes of Light came to wield. The belief that, regardless of what they faced, if they faced it with utter determination and refusal to quit, they could never lose. And this bullheaded stubbornness and belief in something better than the world they walked is the seed from which many of their greatest miracles sprouted and flourished.

At level five, the Child of Light is immune to all fear effects, be they magical or otherwise. Furthermore, all allies within 30 feet receive a +4 moral bonus to all saving throws against fear. She and all allies within her 30 feet radius mien may also completely ignore all morale or profane penalties. This defense does not endure if her allies leave this radius but re-establishes itself as soon as they return.

Spoiler
    Show
    So you're going to try and scare the magical girl and her allies away. Pffffft! Riiiiight. Sure you are.

An End to Darkness (Su): Magical girls can always find the best in those around them, even the darkest of devils and demons. To their sight, even in those monsters of darkness and blood there is the faint spark of Light. Hidden and caged maybe, but there. And whilst most find this spark so very hard to unearth, the reincarnations of Heroes can go one better. A Child does not simply change the alignment of an outsider. Her radiant power is capable of utterly changing them, rewriting their essence into a form fitting for their new view of life and their reality and freeing them from the shackles of their old life.

At level six, the Child of Light ignores any penalties to using Power of Friendship that may stem from their target being an Outsider (or similarly alien creature). Furthermore, should they succeed in bringing their new friend to the side of Good, they immediately go through a miraculous metamorphosis. Encased in a shell of light, they emerge from it as a butterfly, their entire being purified of their former sins and essence as an unique Outsider of the appropriate subtypes. Their appearance changes to suit the aesthetic of their new alignment but they are otherwise unique creatures. The DM should adapt the newly purified Outsider as best suits his campaign and the spirit of this ability.

Furthermore, the purification process is extremely liberating and experiencing this bliss disposes the Outsider rather well toward her new friend. The Outsider is inclined to be helpful and friendly with the Child of Light unless given pressing reason not to be. If the Child of Light has access to cohorts, the Outsider may be chosen as one of their cohorts if they have no more than (HD-2) hit dice.

Spoiler
    Show
    This ability is primarily fluff, but was a great deal of fun to put together. Nothing really screams this class harder than the ability to go "Yep. that devil? They're now an angel. What'cha gonna do?"

Hope Lives On (Sp): Those who share the heart of a Child of Light may vanish in time, but not before their time has come. Her pure love for them rejects even the cold certainty of death.

Once per day, the Child of Light may use Raise Dead as a spell-like ability with a Caster Level equal to her Evoker Level upon someone with whom she has a previously established positive relationship. This is a full-round action.

Spoiler
    Show
    Crying upon the corpse of your friend to return them to life (or similar). Stock Magical Girl.

Light Springs Eternal (Su): There was a time once, long ago, when the raw emotion of those gifted with the power of Light could snuff out stars and topple gods from their pedestals on high. And whilst that time may be long past, a shadow of that power remains in the spiritual descendants of those original Heroes.

At level nine, the Child may, once per day, drain their entire mote pool to cast Miracle with a Caster Level of their Evoker Level. Their mote pool remains empty after the use of this ability for one minute. The Child must still provide any material, focus, of the Miracle, and the Miracle cannot be a very powerful request.

In addition, by voluntarily gaining four negative levels, the Child may request a more powerful miracle. In such a case, the Miracle does not cost the usual additional 5000 xp. These negative levels cannot be cured by any means and take effect regardless of any immunity to them. Only one of these negative levels is removed every 24 hours, but they never cause permanent level loss. If a Child of Light still has negative levels remaining from a use of this ability, she may only use this feature for the comparatively weaker miracles until she has regained her full level.

These Miracles are requested from the Light, and are approved only if the Miracle would be for the good of all, not just that of the Child alone. Selfish Miracles are always refused.

Spoiler
    Show
    This one took quite a bit of wording, but I think worked out ok in the end. In the spirit of the fact that Miracle type effects were basically how massive threats in Sailor Moon and other such old shows were resolved, a Child of Light gets the ability to do that. Not without cost maybe, but they can do it.

The fluff of the class seems spot on.

The skills aqcuired and requirements to get in are good.

And then we get to the "chassis." For a class like this, something seems a bit...off about getting full Bab, though that is only true if that Bab applies to all attacks one can do in a full round action. If it only applies to the first attack, I'd say meh. The saving throws, though, is probably overpowered when you take eternal grace into consideration. By the time you finish with this class, you'll be level sixteen and can afford a lot of magical items that can boost your ability points and saving throws by a very large margin. What this means is that the class has very likely has the best saving throws in the entire game, especially once you take into consideration the might surge. This could very well make it difficult for a dm to challenge your character in a battle without outright killing your friends. A truly creative dm can get around this, but still, that's a lot to put onto his plate. I'd suggest toning fortitude down a bit, but that's up to you.

The way this class does illuminations is slightly confusing, but this is the way I read it: as long as the character has their device when they craft their illuminations (aka, at every level up), they can make their illuminations that they do know as strong as whatever they would have had in their previous class. However, their illuminations known and readied are going to be reduced by five levels after finishing with this class.
    If that is what it means...eh, it's probably not too bad in my opinion. Even the stargazer has nothing by comparison to a sorcerer when it comes to "spells known," so a class that is even more restricted in the different number of things it can do in battle seems like a decent restriction. However, I am by no means an expert when it comes to optimization, so I'd take what I say with a grain of salt.

Personally, I really like the heritage bound feat. I am not a fan of doing a lot of multi-classing, and that requirement hardly seems draconian to me. In fact, I almost wonder why most prestige classes aren't this way.

Incorrutible honestly seems like something that should be inherent to the entire game, at least as far as knowing whether or not doing something would change one's alignment. The extra saving throw seems standard fare as well.

I am not one that can tell you whether or not Primordial light is overpowered or not, though I have read all the posts on this thread, so I know that some people think so. The only thing I'd say about it is if someone else says it's overpowered, I would at least take it into consideration. Generally whether or not something is overpowered depends upon the creativity of a dm and the make up of the rest of the party.

The defences gained through this class are very strong, perhaps none stronger than Ancestral seal. Overall not too op, though, as the class doesn't really have much in the way of defined offence (besides the character's illuminations).

Yeah, eternal grace and the natural saving throw bonuses combined is probably op. You could probably even lessen all of them to +4 (in the chassis) and the class would still be strong in saving throws.

Hope never dies: standard fare here.

And end to darkness: I like this. The ability to turn demons and devils into angels is pretty darn cool. Any opness that might come from this ought to be handled by dm fiat, though. As stated before I'm probably not the best person to say whether or not something is op (unless it's a simply pattern like saving throws, )

Hope lives on: the fact that it requires the character to have a previously established positive relationship is an out for dms to kill off npcs. However, the once per day thing could make killing off pcs kind of hard without using some kind of magic that prevents it. I'm a little iffy on the relative ease with which it can be done, but other than that it totally fits with the class.

And then there's Light Springs Eternal. If I were a pathfinder sorcerer, I could only cast wish (possibly the most powerful spell in the game) if I had TWENTY FIVE GRAND to spend, regardless of what I'm doing with it. It's an incredibly high cost, and completely perfect for the spell. Then you have miracle, which can duplicate most of the effects of wish without said cost, unless you want the incredibly powerful stuff. The effects of miracle and wish are so strong that really, you don't want to be casting this every month, let alone every five days. Unlike a cleric, a Child of Light doesn't have a deity, which in my opinion is supposed to be the way the dm can say no to the spell (wish has the 25 grand cost to help inhibit it). While this ability doesn't let you do the big stuff but more than once every five days, that still seems a bit too often, especially since miracle is kind of cheaty in comparison to wish (and I feel this way despite the fact that the miracle is supposed to be unselfish in nature). Basically I think it needs something to tone it down...

if you want the class to stay a tier 3 . If not, meh, by the time you're level 16 you're incredibly powerful anyways, and I've read more than one thread where people state that they don't ever want to play in the high levels, let alone in epic, because of the shenanigans people can do in a lot of classes.

And yeah, there it is.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Titan in the Playground

Having that discussion at the next meetup. Leave it alone
    But it's so much more FUN now! xD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Troll in the Playground

But it's so much more FUN now! xD
    Shut up and read another prestige class

No, seriously.

Bringer of Twilight

We are the whispers of Light that haunt every villain even in the heart of his own darkness. We are the blades, forged of Light's wonder, that never speak and are never seen. We do what must be done to save the Light, never known and never acknowledged. And I am sorry, but this too must be done. May the Light welcome you. - Bringer of Twilight

There are many colours to Light. But just as much there are many shades. Not all have the luxury of being able to take the path of purity and cut-and-dried morality. Sometimes all the available choices are bad, sometimes not even the powers of Light and friendship can solve a solution without loss. It is well known to all Evokers that, no matter how hard they might try, there will always – somewhen – come a time when their abilities just aren't enough. And from this realisation, in time, grew the order that refers to themselves as the Bringers of Twilight.

This organisation – and it is nothing less – formed out of those Champion, Empaths and Stargazers that found that simply blasting their opponents into submission sometimes wasn't enough. Sometimes, no matter how much they might have hated it, they had to kill. Destroy a life to save millions. Many of their sisters reject this idea as cynical or lost, but the Bringers of Twilight know better. They have been there at those precipices, where they had the ability to save worlds by killing one man or woman or to let it all come crashing down if they spared their foe. And whatever their 'more enlightened' kin might say, they know they made the right choice. Nothing else could be done.

Requirements
    To become a Bringer of Twilight, you must fulfill the following criteria:
    Base Attack Bonus: +5
    Special: Evoker Level 5, must have slain an opponent in cold blood to save others from their perceived 'evil'.

Spoiler
    Show
    Level six entry, but you're going to have to RP a bit to get into this class.

Class Skill List: Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge [Local] (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magical Device (Cha)

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, that's a lot of skills. However, considering the sort of class this is, they're going to need a lot of them.

Bringer of Twilight
    Hit Dice: d8

Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special Illuminations
    1st
    +1
    +0
    +2
    +2
    Bringer of Twilight (Night), Duskblades
    2nd
    +2
    +0
    +3
    +3
    3rd
    +3
    +1
    +3
    +3
    Lurker in the Light
    4th
    +4
    +1
    +4
    +4
    Bringer of Twilight (Dawn)
    5th
    +5
    +1
    +4
    +4
    6th
    +6
    +2
    +5
    +5
    7th
    +7
    +2
    +5
    +5
    Bringer of Twilight (Noon)
    8th
    +8
    +2
    +6
    +6
    Nightfall
    9th
    +9
    +3
    +6
    +6
    10th
    +10
    +3
    +7
    +7
    Bringer of Twilight (Dusk)

Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty good chassis. Full BAB, two good saves and reasonable EL progression too. Only d8 HD, sure, but you're not meant to be a frontliner.

Proficiencies: A Bringer of Twilight gains no armour or weapon proficiencies.

Illuminations: A Bringer of Twilight loses little of her power as an evoker, but she does lose some, pouring that power into the ability to strike with a lethal efficiency that is almost frightening. A Bringer of Twilight continues to progress access to Illuminations from her Evoking Class, as well as her Evoker Level, as shown. If she has more than one Evoking Class, then she must choose one of them when she takes her first level in Bringer of Twilight. Once made, this choice cannot be changed.

Enhanced Weaving: A Bringer of Twilight remembers fully the power and majesty of their costume elements, and lose none of their access to it as they progress in level. Their levels in Bringer of Twilight either stack with their levels in previous Evoking classes, or count as levels in Empath for the purposes of Costume Progression (whichever is more advantageous).

Bringer of Twilight: Bringers of Twilight are gifted with great power from their resolve, but they lose much of their innocence to that lethal conviction. In the end, stripping away the Light around them, they are the Light’s assassins. And whilst they might not take pleasure in that duty, they are unswerving in carrying it out.

At first level, a Bringer of Twilight forever loses their Merciful class feature. Night falls for them in that moment, stripping away one of the few things that make Evokers truly special, and replacing it with an utter determination to do what is right. No matter the cost.

The Bringer of Twilight gains the Death Attack ability of the Assassin with the following modifications. The Bringer of Twilight may make a Death Attack as a single attack standard action, and may do so from a range of up to 30’ if using their Device or a ranged Blast. It still requires the observation time as normal. The DC for the save this attack prompts is (10 + Evoker Level + Evoking Stat Modifier). This counts as a Death effect when used to strike to kill. At level seven, it is not protected against by Death Ward, and the paralysis effect bypasses the effects of Freedom of Movement.

At level four, the first glimmers of Light return to the Bringer of Twilight’s world. But this light is harder and far less kind, the Light of the dawn that rises above a killing field. The Bringer of Twilight becomes one with this harsh and pale light, and in doing so becomes capable of striking in ways all but invisible to the naked eye except for their effect. As a swift action, the Bringer of Twilight may make any enemy within 30’ become flat-footed against her for the next round if they fail a DC (10 + Evoker Level + Evoking Stat Modifier) Will save.

If she hits her target with a Death Attack, even if they succeed on their save, observers must make a spot check against the same DC to realise that the attack was the Bringer of Twilight’s doing. Of course, if her target is not dead or paralyzed, this becomes somewhat of a moot point.

Level seven brings another light into the Bringer of Twilight’s world, this time the blazing fury of the noonday sun in full summer, striking down those who dare oppose them with lethal swiftness. She reduces the number of rounds required to examine her target before she can make a death attack by a fifth of her class level, to a minimum of 1 round. In addition she reduces any penalties to Hide, Move Silently, Disguise, Bluff and Escape Artist DCs by her Class Level.

And at level ten, the Bringer of Twilight’s power has come full circle, back to the settling dusk that spawned her realisation. She has found her balance, and now strikes down all those who would seek to destroy it. She may make a Death or Sneak Attack from any range that she is capable of striking from with Device or Blasts. She adds half her class level to the DCs of her Class Abilities. She also ignores the -20 penalty to Hide when sniping and may snipe with the same restrictions as Death/Sneak Attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    So yes, this is basically the Assassin, but worth taking. More powerful Death Attack (eventually), with the ability to make it a lot faster as they gain in levels. Penalty negation over bonuses - as for most of these skills, that's probably more helpful. Oh, and the ability to bring someone down without anyone even knowing you did it. Gotta love that.

Duskblades: Bringer’s of Twilight are the blades that the Light wished it never had to have, the knives in the darkness that glimmer but faintly before they spill the blood of their foes. And in that faint glimmer is housed a determination that is made terrifying by the willingness of its wielder to do anything to hold back the night.

At 1st level, a Bringer of Twilight gains a special device effect that is always active and gained in addition to all others. Furthermore, she automatically has (class level) motes invested into it, without lowering her mote pool and bypassing normal investment limits.

Effect: The Bringer of Twilight gains the Sneak Attack ability of a Rogue of her Class Level when attacking a flat-footed target with her Device. If a Bringer of Twilight gets a sneak attack bonus from another source, the bonuses on damage stack. Duskblade damage does full damage against creatures that would be immune to sneak attack, like constructs and undead.

Essence Boost: For every 1m invested in this ability, the Bringer of Twilight may ignore 1 point of DR. If 10 or more motes are invested, any creature dealt damage by her Sneak Attack loses any fast healing or regeneration it may possess for one round.

Cartridge Boost: When a cartridge is expended to fuel this effect, the Bringer of Twilight’s weapons are imbued with a deadly sheath of faint light that allows them to strike their opponents weak spots again and again. Any opponent that she struck the round before with her Sneak Attack automatically counts as flat-footed against her attacks. This effect lasts a number of rounds equal to her Evoker Stat Modifer. If she successfully strikes a target with Sneak Attack whilst under this effect, she may immediately end the effect to have the attack count as a Death Attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stronger Sneak Attack as a base, with enhancements akin to Resolved in the Essence Boost and then a rather interesting synergy as a Cartridge Boost.

Lurker in the Light: Bringer’s of Twilight are as at home hiding in the day as they are at night – in fact, they have to be. Their power allows them to slip away from sight in shadow or light. It matters little. At level three, a Bringer of Twilight may attempt a hide check even whilst observed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide in Plain Sight. 'Nuff said.

Nightfall: The Bringer’s of Twilight prefer to bring death swiftly rather than slowly, but the magical protections that their targets often cloak themselves in would make that far, far harder if not for this ability. Known as the Nightfall, it allows Bringer’s of Twilight to reduce the defences of their target to that of an unenhanced mortal in the moment of their strike.

Once per day at level eight, a Bringer of Twilight may expend ten motes to enhance an attack with an anti-magic effect similar in nature to a weaponised version of the Warded costume effect. Before the attack roll is made, the Bringer of Twilight rolls an Evoker Level check against any magical and psionic effects affecting her target as Greater Dispel Magic/Psionics.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, and this one. The almighty boot the head for all those who rely on supernatural protections. It might not bring down everything defending a foe, and it's only 1/day (as you'd expect for an assassin type), but it's also extremely unpleasant to get caught in.

How many times do you think that you've missed attacks because of an item of x granting +z as y to AC? Well, now you don't have to. Not for those really important shots.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2014-04-02 at 01:10 PM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

15. - Top - End - #525
    Troll in the Playground

Awesome critique is awesome
    Many thanks. Your points are well made and - at least in regards to saving throws - very well make me modify things a bit for Child. The Miracle bit...I've grappled with that since I posted the class. It's something that desperately, desperately wants to be there, but as you said balancing it is hard.

I'm thinking about maybe increasing the time factor required between castings - once a week/month is currently fighting a war in my head. We'll see what comes of it.

And thanks again. Critique always does good things for me - regardless of its tenor.
    Show

<struck dumb>

16. - Top - End - #526

Spoiler
    Show
    Light’s Artist

"You don't have to do this. Come, let me show you. You don't have to be afraid anymore."
    -Unknown Light’s Artist, opening her Embrace

Many are those drawn to the Light from its power. More are drawn by the hope it embodies, the strength that endures almost any challenge and emerges whole. But it is a precious few who are drawn to the Light for one of its simplest and yet most complex treasures. Its sheer, utterly heart-stopping, beauty. The Light is the embodiment of every wondrous childhood memory, every magnificent moment where love is shared and given forever. It is the feel of that first kiss, the bone deep protective love for one’s child and the endless wellspring from which those feelings perpetually flow.

Light’s Artist’s tap into that love-borne beauty, that particular facet of the Light, and make it what they are. Wherever an Artist walks, that beauty follows. Wherever she works her power, it remains for all time. And when she is forced into conflict, it surrounds her in a weave of protective Light that reaches out to her opponent with an offer of utter safety. She will walk through the fire, the storms, and everything else that might be levelled against her. She will never strike back, only acting to defend herself and her comrades. And, when she is close enough, she will reach out to her foe, and wrap them in the comforting arms of Light’s true embrace.

Requirements
    To become a Light’s Artist, you must fulfil the following criteria:
    Special: Power of Friendship, Evoker Level 6

Spoiler
    Show
    Another level seven entry class here, but it really fits to a lot of these.

Class Skill List: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge [History] (Int), Knowledge [Local] (Int), Knowledge [Nobility and Royalty] (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha) Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Spoiler
    Show
    The skill list for Child actually came from Artist, but Artist has a few more Knowledge Skills to suit their wider base of understanding.

Light's Artist
    Hit Dice: d10
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Illuminations

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Remembered Weaving, Unbreakable, Light’s Embrace (You Can Be More)|

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    ||

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Radiant Wonder|

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Light’s Embrace (Love Redeems)|
    |

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Shining Path|

6th|
    +6
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    ||

7th|
    +7
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Light’s Embrace (Never Too Late)|

8th|
    +8
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Triumph of Light|

9th|
    +9
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    ||

10th|
    +10
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Light’s Embrace (One Last Chance)|
    [/table]

Spoiler
    Show
    Good EL progression, good saves, full BAB, d10 HD. This a strong chassis, but it's like that for a very good reason.

Illuminations: An Artist loses only a little of her power as an evoker, but she does lose some. A Light’s Artist continues to progress access to Illuminations from her Evoking Class, as well as her Evoker Level, as shown. If she has more than one Evoking Class, then she must choose one of them when she takes her first level in Light’s Artist. Once made, this choice cannot be changed.

Spoiler
    Show
    As per normal. Look at table, work out EL.

Remembered Weaving (Ex): An Artist can still weave bits and pieces of the protective Light her old vocation gave her, and remains fully capable of tapping into their strength. But as with anything, her focus on something beyond the physicality of the universe weakens her.

A Light’s Artist gains additional costume elements as her Evoker Level and Illuminations progress.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not much really to be said here.

Unbreakable (Su): An Artist is a strange one, but utterly unassailable in their strength of will where it comes to reaching out to those in pain – even those facing her in combat. Weapons blunt themselves on her, bursting into nothing but Light itself in the face of the glory of her Embrace.

At 1st level, an Artist gains a special costume effect that is always active and gained in addition to all others. Furthermore, she automatically has (class level) motes invested into it, without lowering her mote pool and bypassing normal investment limits.

Effect: The Artist gains DR 1/-, as well as 25% fortification, giving her a chance to negate any sneak attack or critical hit and force damage to be rolled normally.

Essence Boost: For every 2m invested into this effect, increase the granted DR by 1. If the evoker has 8 motes or more invested into this effect, she gains Evasion. If another class would grant her evasion, this effect improves to Improved Evasion. If 16 motes or more are invested, she gains Mettle.

Cartridge Boost: When a Cartridge is expended to fuel this effect, the Artist is wreathed in a great mantle of furious light that shields her from harm. She gains the effect of the Starmantle spell (BoED), for rounds equal to her (Evoker Stat Modifier).

Spoiler
    Show
    I have to admit, I loved writing this one. Starmantle is such an awesomely fluffy and fitting spell for this type of PrC, and the basic effects on their own aren't too good to make it Champion only.

Light’s Embrace (Su): A Light’s Artist is a part of the Light in a way that none of her fellows can ever imagine. She becomes a living conduit of the infinite love and endless forgiveness that is her particular facet of Light. And when faced by foes on all sides, she does not fight them as her sisters would. Instead she reaches within and Embraces those who have lost their way in her loving Light, opening their eyes to themselves and offering them another way out of the hell that has become their life.

At level one, an Artist may make a touch attack against an enemy. If she hits, a ribbon of her Light flares out from her soul, wrapping them in a gentle embrace. Her target must make a will save vs a DC of (10 + ½ HD + Evoker Stat Modifier) or be affected as Calm Emotions, as the memories of her past – and the possibilities of her future – overwhelm her. The Caster Level for the Calm Emotions effect is equal to twice (class level), and it requires concentration as normal. When this effect ends, the Artist may make an immediate Power of Friendship roll, with a +1 bonus for each round that she held her target within her Embrace to a maximum bonus of (class level). She may only Embrace one target at a time and must remain within 5’ of her to hold the Embrace.

Once a target has freed herself from the Artist's Embrace, she is immune to its effects for 24 hours.

At level four, the Light’s Artist’s inner radiance reaches forth to those around her with a graceful ease that would be terrifying if it was not so…right. She can reach out across a battlefield, twining multiple ribbons around those near her, and bringing them peace. The Artist may sustain a number of Embraces equal to half of her class level. Her Calm Emotions effect bypasses immunity to Mind Affecting or Compulsion effects except that granted by mindlessness – although it grants a +4 bonus on their will save to any with such immunity – and gains a range of 5’/every two class levels. She may also make Embraces as iterative attacks in a full attack. Finally, she may sustain her Embraces so long as those targeted by them remain within her range.

On reaching level seven, an Artist has learned to tap deeply enough into the love-channel of Light that those within her Embrace realise that they never truly wish to run. Those Embraced by an Artist must now make two saves against the standard DC. One against the Calm Emotions effect, and one against a Slow effect with a CL equal to twice (class level).
    And at level ten, a Light’s Artist attains such a mastery of herself as a conduit of the Love of Light, that her power transcends the limitations of her mortal shell. She reaches beyond the Embrace, to something more, granting even the most desperate and lost soul another chance.

At 10th level, the Artist adds a third effect to her Embrace that is saved against in addition to Slow and Calm Emotions. If her target fails their save, they are rendered dazed by the torrent of memory and possible futures that they can still grasp that floods their mind. In addition, the Artist gains the ability to, when pushed far enough, utterly stop combat with the gravest of sanctions. Once per encounter, she may produce an effect similar to End to Strife (BoED) as a supernatural ability, with a DC as the other effects of Light’s Embrace.

Spoiler
    Show
    There's some rather nice things in this PrC, but it's also situational enough that it's part of why the Artist's basic chassis is so strong.

Radiant Wonder (Ex): Light’s Artists exude a strange, yet utterly powerful, aura of safety and love that enfolds all around them. Usually invisible in its effect, an Artist can focus this aura if she so wishes to sway the opinions of those around her to aid them in seeing the Light.

The Artist gains a bonus equal to her class level on Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate and Sense Motive. In addition, she gains an at will extraordinary Charm Person effect with a DC of (10 + ½ HD + Evoker Stat Modifier) that she may use as a standard action.

At level seven this effect improves to Charm Monster. At tenth level, any racial immunity which may protect from these effects is negated. Such monsters instead receive a +4 bonus to their saving throw to resist this ability.

Spoiler
    Show
    At will Charm effects with a bonus to social skills. Makes sense.

Shining Path (Su): The path to those in need of love is sometimes a very hard one. Those who believe themselves unworthy will lock themselves away. Those who are afraid will levy dreadful blood penalties against those who try to give it. But an Artist cares little for such things. The path from her to the one who needs her help will always be clear to her, and nothing can bar it from her.

At level five, once per encounter, an Artist may designate a single opponent as a standard action. When moving towards him, she cannot be held by any means, passes freely through obstructions to her path and does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Not even impenetrable obstacles, such as a wall of force or forcecage, may hinder her path. Once per round, whilst moving towards her target, she may ignore the effects of any effect dealing harm other than hit point damage that would affect her. If her target moves away, she automatically moves the same distance towards him – gaining necessary burrow, swim or fly speeds as necessary for the action. An artist must move a minimum of half her speed towards her designated opponent each round until she is close enough to use her Embrace on the opponent at which point the effect ends and she is required to use her Light’s Embrace on the designated target as her next action. The Path grants her a speed of her base land speed for all types of movement (flight, swim, burrow, etc.) whenever it is necessary.

Spoiler
    Show
    Almost purely fluff here, the mechanics of this are really quite simple and not particularly powerful. Walking through a Wall of Force and suchlike is nice, but you also have to follow your foe. And that can end...badly.

Triumph of Light (Ex): The other side of the Shining Path, the Triumph of Light is perhaps the most feared of all an Artist’s abilities. Many know the limits of the Shining Path, that it forces an Artist to pursue her target regardless of where they might go and what may be waiting. The Artist’s answer to this weakness is this.

Once per encounter as an immediate action, an Artist may surround herself in an unbreakable shell of radiant power that shields her from anything that attempts to harm her. For a single round, she reflects all attacks and effects that target her directly straight back at their sources. Harmful spells or other effects that would include her in their area of effect exclude her space from their affected area. In addition, any harmful conditions she is currently affected by are suppressed for the round.

Spoiler
    Show
    And to counteract that massive weakness to ambushes, we have this. I'll admit, this one is powerful, but as it's only 1/encounter and will only keep you safe, I wouldn't place on the game breaking end of that scale.

Ok, now for the Light's Arteest, lol.

The fluff in interesting. It's almost stating that true art is in redemption, which frankly is pretty cool if you ask me.

The requirements to get in are pretty standard it seems, though to be honest I can't think of a situation where someone could be an evoker but NOT have the Power of Friendship ability. Perhaps if the character had already taken a level in Night Devil or Bringer of Twilight, but any sensible Gm is going to say "Nuh uh! The fluff of the classes are completely opposite. No way!"

Skills seem standard.

And then there's the chassis. Ehhhhhh, I'd say it's a bit too strong in a manner of speaking. It doesn't necessarily make the class op, in my opinion, but it DEFINITELY doesn't fit the theme or fluff of the class. I'm specifically referring to the saves and Bab. Unlike Child of Light, whether or not Bab from this prestige class affects all attacks is a LOT more important than the saves, though that portion is iffy too. An artist is not a warrior, plain and simple. Could they come from a background of being a champion? Yes, but their focus has shifted as is clear with the abilities of this class. As such, IF the Bab from a prestige class affects all attacks, I'd say you'd need to reduce it to no more than +5. If it doesn't, then it's fine how it is.

As to saves and hp, yeah that's a no no. An artist, with the exception of a martial artist, is more frail than your normal combatant. And the martial aspects of the Light's Artist are naturally missing since that's not the kind of art this class focuses on. And when you consider the fluff even more broadly, you have to remember that this entire tome is about traditional themes and black and white morality. It's very much non-traditional for an artist to be physically strong (aka, can take a hit). I'd say reduce it to d8 for hp and reduce the fortitude saves to +3 or +4 and you'd be ok. In fact, if you were to reduce the fortitude saves to +3 you could probably even get away with a stronger will save than what you have. Am I saying this because the class is op in that manner? Nope. In fact I don't think it strictly WOULD make the class overpowered, but that kind of chassis just goes against the grain of the fluff of the class and that of the tome at large.

Near full Illuminations and full weaving seems standard fare.

Unbreakable seems ok. Personally I think something of more utility or offensive in nature would be more beneficial to the class, but meh, that's up to you.

And of course Light's Embrace is the meat of the class. The fluff and mechanics of it are great!....sigh, except for the bypassing of mind affecting immunity. Now, don't get me wrong, Light's embrace isn't so powerful that I feel that it needs to be nerfed, it's more along the lines of the chassis thing: it doesn't feel right. Again, you're not making the person you're friend (via the mechanics of Power of Friendship, you're actually just making the person good; they can still be hostile towards you), but it doesn't exactly seem right that someone who's supposed to be immune to this sort of thing suddenly isn't and only gets a +4 against the save. This kind of becomes exacerbated later on when they have to make three saves instead of one. I'd say......maybe a +6 would do it. It would really need to be playtested because, at least in my opinion, such creatures should be making their saves "most" of the time since their design is that this sort of thing shouldn't be working in the first place (if you catch my drift). Other than that particular caveat, I'd say this ability is pretty darn cool.

Radiant wonder: I'd say the same thing for the racial immunity, give it a +6 instead of a +4, but other than that this is a good ability to have. Like you said in the spoiler below it, it makes sense.

I'd say that for both Shining Path and Triumph of light nothing needs to be done. Both are fitting and neither are particularly powerful, though you might be able to get away with boosting something with Triumph of Light. Maybe boosting the duration to two rounds? Honestly, in my opinion, you could probably get away with boosting it to three rounds or changing it to twice per encounter (the latter seeming stronger in my opinion).

I can easily see this class building more sophisticated surges and barriers than blasts. In fact, if you were to replace unbreakable with some benefit to either or both of said types of illuminations, I'd think it would be more fitting. That being said, it's not really critical to the fluff, unlike the Bab or the fortitude saves.

Overall, I really, really like this class. Someone that is dedicated to saving the lost is absolutely fitting to the Tome of Radiance. It's so fitting that I'm going to go ahead and re-quote the fluff :

Many are those drawn to the Light from its power. More are drawn by the hope it embodies, the strength that endures almost any challenge and emerges whole. But it is a precious few who are drawn to the Light for one of its simplest and yet most complex treasures. Its sheer, utterly heart-stopping, beauty. The Light is the embodiment of every wondrous childhood memory, every magnificent moment where love is shared and given forever. It is the feel of that first kiss, the bone deep protective love for one’s child and the endless wellspring from which those feelings perpetually flow.

Light’s Artist’s tap into that love-borne beauty, that particular facet of the Light, and make it what they are. Wherever an Artist walks, that beauty follows. Wherever she works her power, it remains for all time. And when she is forced into conflict, it surrounds her in a weave of protective Light that reaches out to her opponent with an offer of utter safety. She will walk through the fire, the storms, and everything else that might be levelled against her. She will never strike back, only acting to defend herself and her comrades. And, when she is close enough, she will reach out to her foe, and wrap them in the comforting arms of Light’s true embrace.

A Light’s Artist is a part of the Light in a way that none of her fellows can ever imagine. She becomes a living conduit of the infinite love and endless forgiveness that is her particular facet of Light. And when faced by foes on all sides, she does not fight them as her sisters would. Instead she reaches within and Embraces those who have lost their way in her loving Light, opening their eyes to themselves and offering them another way out of the hell that has become their life.

17. - Top - End - #527

Ok, Snowfire, ignore what I said about op saves for the Child of the Light. A STARGAZER has the best saves in the game. How? Grace of eons is far, far, far more powerful than Eternal Grace, especially since a Stargazer can gain extra bonuses to all three saves from a headband of vast intelligence along with bonuses to all three types via the regular attributes (Con=Fort, Dex=Ref, Wis=Will).

Edit1: if I assume a player is playing a Stargazer in a game with wbl, and the character reaches level 20, then the character likely will have a final Int score of 34. That's a +12 modifier to saves! If the character also grabs a cloak of resistance and an archmage's robe (wondrous item slot, not armor), then the character is looking at saves of at the very least 27 fort, 27 reflex, and 33 will. And that's assuming the character has a score of 10 for each of the attributes, which is also unlikely. Much more likely is the character able to afford a +6 belt for both Dex and Con, and that headband covering Wis in addition to Int. That then brings the saves up to 30 for Fort and Refl, and 36 for Will. And if the character is playing in an epic point buy in pathfinder? You can guarantee that he will have a 14 to start with in both Dex and Con, bringing up the respective saves by another two. If he's lucky enough, he might even start out with a Wis of 12.

Last edited by Falcon777; 2013-08-06 at 02:41 PM.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, Snowfire, ignore what I said about op saves for the Child of the Light. A STARGAZER has the best saves in the game. How? Grace of eons is far, far, far more powerful than Eternal Grace, especially since a Stargazer can gain extra bonuses to all three saves from a headband of vast intelligence along with bonuses to all three types via the regular attributes (Con=Fort, Dex=Ref, Wis=Will).
    Aye, aye, Cap'n!

Also, just saw your review of Light's Artist and...

Um. Thanks. So, so, much. The points you have made are in very good taste, and I'll be implementing a few changes in that vein once I finish Knight of the Dim Star. Artist of Light was a class that I put a lot of love into, but never was quite sure if I'd gotten it totally right. Now I think I know how to fix that

And the fact that the fluff was good enough to requote makes me very, very happy
    Show

<struck dumb>

19. - Top - End - #529

Oh, given that Eternal Grace is a level 3 ability of Child of Light, you might want to also say that it doesn't stack with Grace of Eons. A character with both of those would just be ridiculous.

And you are quite welcome. As I've hinted at before in this thread, I have a rabid fascination with light, so when I see classes in a game that I enjoy employ that idea, and they do it well? Yeah, I'm gonna like it.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Troll in the Playground

The entire point of the class was to make a d&d class based on magical girls.
    If anyone is pushed away from it because they're upset by an excess of female pronouns, frankly, if it were my class, I wouldn't want them using my material anyway.
    Honestly i thought that saying she was just a standard thing for 3.5 dnd, pathfinder esqu games. Like how a ship is always a she. I can't think of many uses of the male pronoun in any of the PHB class descriptions.

Anyways its not the female pronouns that seem to be keeping my group away, its the simple fact that they know its based of "Those strange anime shows for girls" that seems to be blocking interest. Personally i just want nothing more than to shoot a meter thick laser made of friendship at a dragon, genders be damned.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, given that Eternal Grace is a level 3 ability of Child of Light, you might want to also say that it doesn't stack with Grace of Eons. A character with both of those would just be ridiculous.

Done. I've also changed a few things regarding the Miracle effect. Let me know what you think.

And you are quite welcome. As I've hinted at before in this thread, I have a rabid fascination with light, so when I see classes in a game that I enjoy employ that idea, and they do it well? Yeah, I'm gonna like it.
    Still thanks. And I'll have changes to Light's Artist up once I'm done with my current PrC. Which, knowing me, probably won't take long.

Also, Dragonus45, your group are silly
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2013-08-06 at 03:01 PM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

22. - Top - End - #532
    Troll in the Playground

Also would anyone be interested in a play by post Pathfinder game using these classes with some PF paint slapped onto the skill points. My big bad in the next game i run, in about 4 months if my groups schedule holds, is going to be a Stargazer or a Champion and i want to get a feel for how strong they are before i start going to deep into building her.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2013-08-06 at 03:08 PM.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

23. - Top - End - #533

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Honestly i thought that saying she was just a standard thing for 3.5 dnd, pathfinder esqu games. Like how a ship is always a she. I can't think of many uses of the male pronoun in any of the PHB class descriptions.

Anyways its not the female pronouns that seem to be keeping my group away, its the simple fact that they know its based of "Those strange anime shows for girls" that seems to be blocking interest. Personally i just want nothing more than to shoot a meter thick laser made of friendship at a dragon, genders be damned.
    So basically, yeah, it's not so much the she this and her that pronouns used everywhere...but rather the term "Magical Girl." So I wasn't so far off to begin with.

@Snowfire: The new time costs to the miracle effect are quite good. A once per week for the lesser effects isn't too bad and a full month for the greater effects is definitely good. I guess in a way my main concern with the ability originally was that with enough time the character can cast the spell without any long term cost to herself (25 grand or 5000 xp doesn't just grow on trees, ya know? ). But yeah, this is much, much more manageable.

Edit1: I would totally be up for a game, Dragonus. The fact that it's Pathfinder makes it even better in my book! There is one caveat, though. I'd prefer to play a Stargazer as long as you're cool with it. I don't mind there being more than one, but without you saying so I wouldn't know if you were cool with it as well.
    Last edited by Falcon777; 2013-08-06 at 03:10 PM.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground

Also would anyone be interested in a play by post Pathfinder game using these classes with some PF paint slapped onto the skill points. My big bad in the next game i run, in about 4 months if my groups schedule holds, is going to be a Stargazer or a Champion and i want to get a feel for how strong they are before i start going to deep into building her.
    I'd be interested.

Also, does the constant capitalization of Light remind anyone else of Wheel of Time? I know it's a distant connection (don't want to be That Guy), but it feels like this system could do pretty well at the more-power and the no-set-spells aspects of the magic system there. Sort of. Ish.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #535
    Troll in the Playground

I would be up for it, but the fact that I know these classes possibly too well might skew your perception of these classes' power level.

P.S. It's over nine thousand

Edit:

@Snowfire: The new time costs to the miracle effect are quite good. A once per week for the lesser effects isn't too bad and a full month for the greater effects is definitely good. I guess in a way my main concern with the ability originally was that with enough time the character can cast the spell without any long term cost to herself (25 grand or 5000 xp doesn't just grow on trees, ya know? ). But yeah, this is much, much more manageable.
    Yay! The war in my brain resulted in a victory for everyone!

Last edited by Snowfire; 2013-08-06 at 03:17 PM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ettin in the Playground

Just so you know, people, I am currently in a Tome of Radiance game - though it is 3.5 and Gestalt - but it's not like I don't have enough Evoker concepts for some more :-)
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

27. - Top - End - #537
    Troll in the Playground

I would be up for it, but the fact that I know these classes possibly too well might skew your perception of these classes' power level.

P.S. It's over nine thousand
    Well i am trying to design a big bad here, so 9000 sounds about right. Im posting from my phone right now but when i have laptop access i'll post something in the recruiting section.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Troll in the Playground

Well i am trying to design a big bad here, so 9000 sounds about right. Im posting from my phone right now but when i have laptop access i'll post something in the recruiting section.
    But, but, I said over nine thousand!
    Show

<struck dumb>

29. - Top - End - #539

If anyone even DARES to make an illumination in the actual game and call it Kamehameha...I might just rage quit.

References to that absolutely, horribly, terrible anime that is THE definition of power creep...well, please keep it to the over 9000 thing if you can. Anything else will "probably" give me the shivers before I explode, throwing Falcony parts everywhere.

Edit1: in other news, who else is liking the newest OOTS chapter that just came out last night?!
    Last edited by Falcon777; 2013-08-06 at 03:38 PM.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Troll in the Playground

If anyone even DARES to make an illumination in the actual game and call it Kamehameha...I might just rage quit.

References to that absolutely, horribly, terrible anime that is THE definition of power creep...well, please keep it to the over 9000 thing if you can. Anything else will "probably" give me the shivers before I explode, throwing Falcony parts everywhere.
    So a kaioken illumination would be right out then?

No, I don't actually like DBZ. I do enjoy watch the abridged series thought. It's an absolute riot.
    Show

<struck dumb>