New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Tome of Radiance: Mastering the Power of Love and Justice

...Want to play a Night Devil. Will have to wait for the Sixteen to go up, my interest tends to curse PbP games, unless GameTable is used...

2. - Top - End - #572

Oh, I also highly recommend Rich Burlew's diplomacy system. It basically, (at least in my opinion) fixes the diplomacy skill. If you google his name and the word diplomacy after it, the correct link will come up as the first option (or at least it should).

Edit1: it also makes it such that the diplomacy skill isn't entirely a crapshoot for characters other than the "party face" to dip into, at least assuming you're playing pathfinder. If you're playing in 3.5 where the system penalizes you for putting points into cross class skills instead of rewarding you for putting points into class skills, well I can't help you with that.
    Last edited by Falcon777; 2013-08-07 at 09:40 PM.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Troll in the Playground

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ettin in the Playground

In this very section of the forum, at that.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

5. - Top - End - #575
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry about that things just got very very hectic for me, and it's turning into good evidence that every play by post game i attempt to start will end in homelessness, but it looks like i might be to busy to run a campaign, so if you wanted to make one instead be my guest. I'll be sure to sumbit a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    Tell you what, I'll give Dragonus until the end of the week to put something together (by which I mean Sunday) and then if we have nothing by then I'll throw something together.

For those of you who have seen my Light of Amber universe, this will not be it. That's not to say that you won't be out to save the world (or possibly multiverse), but that there's going to be a lot less in the way of help.

I'm currently thinking somewhere in the level 3-5 bracket as a starting point. Progression will be reasonably quick, combats will be no-holds-barred brutal - but beatable in truly heroic fashion - and somewhere along the line I'll probably kick the Mythic stuff I built for ToR into the game. It could use a playtest
    Also that sounds much much better than anything i could have managed.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2013-08-08 at 11:40 AM.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Sorry about that things just got very very hectic for me, and it's turning into good evidence that every play by post game i attempt to start will end in homelessness, but it looks like i might be to busy to run a campaign, so if you wanted to make one instead be my guest. I'll be sure to sumbit something.

Also that sounds much much better than anything i could have managed.
    I'll throw something together then. Just need to dig out the notebook and work out how far into the deep end I want to toss you as a starting point.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

7. - Top - End - #577
    Troll in the Playground

I will have a thread up for the promised game by the end of the week. For now, look! I made another PrC!

I'll have full explanation spoiler stuff added in the morning. For now, please tell me what you think.

Knight of the Dim Star

You only know how bright the Light is when you stand alone in the darkness with no one to judge your actions. When you return from that crucible, then you are changed.
    – First Tenant of the Order of the Dim Star

None chooses the Order of the Dim Star. It is a burden brought upon the young and innocent, taking both away in exchange for great expertise and determination in the war against the darkness. These valiant warriors are compelled to make certain that no other need suffer through their brand of enlightenment.

Once the Knight was lost amongst the darkness, surrounded by evil, depravity and vice so intense that it robbed them of their sacred innocence, the pure radiance that was once theirs sullied. However where others might have despaired or surrendered to what they saw as defeat, these stubborn women refused to bend knee. They embraced the truth of the world, that sometimes bad things must happen to bad people in order for good people to be left alone. Ignorance is a privilege, that is their secret creed.

They are no longer bound by the codes they once held so dear. They are pragmatists and uncompromising in their struggle, the pale and dim radiance that surrounds them keeping them hidden from sight even as they leave a trail of blood and destruction in their wake.

From destruction, death.
    From death, rebirth.
    From rebirth, cleansing.
    From cleansing, purity.
    From purity, bliss.

Together they build a world which, if they succeed, will have no need for people such as they. That is the price they pay, willingly, for a better world.

And let not even the darkest night be safe where even the dimmest light shines.

Requirements
    To become a Knight of the Dim Star, you must fulfil the following criteria:
    Skills: 8 skill points in four of Bluff, Disguise, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Forgery, Hide, Move Silently, Open Lock and Sleight of Hand
    Saves: +5 Will Saving Throw
    Special: Evoker Level 10, must have had the opportunity to turn Evil and either rejected or resisted it

Spoiler
    Show
    This is something of a 'veteran' class, requiring a good spread of skills, a good will save - for reasons explained below, and some rather specific circumstances. Oh yeah, and it's an 11th level entry.

Class Skill List: Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Dex), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge [Dungeoneering] (Int), Knowledge [History] (Int), Knowledge [Local] (Int), Knowledge [Nobility] (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex) Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magical Device (Cha)

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lots and lots of skills coupled with a good number of skill points. Might seem a bit much, but Knights go places that most Evokers would never dream of, and they have to be able to pass unseen.

Knight of the Dim Star

Hit Dice: d10

Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special Illuminations
    1st
    +1
    +2
    +0
    +2
    Remembered Weaving, Mask of the Fallen
    2nd
    +2
    +3
    +0
    +3
    Blade of a Brighter World
    +1 level of existing class
    3rd
    +3
    +3
    +1
    +3
    Light to the Memory
    4th
    +4
    +4
    +1
    +4
    Mark of the Dim Star
    5th
    +5
    +4
    +1
    +4
    In the Dark, Of the Light
    6th
    +6
    +5
    +2
    +5
    Falling Star’s Sight
    7th
    +7
    +5
    +2
    +5
    Punishments In A House of Darkness
    8th
    +8
    +6
    +2
    +6
    A Trail of Blood and Sorrow
    9th
    +9
    +6
    +3
    +6
    No Safety in Night
    10th
    +10
    +7
    +3
    +7
    Judgement of the Star-eyed Sanction

Spoiler
    Show
    Similar chassis to the Listener to Light actually, but with different saves (I think) and a higher HD. Considering the rather different focus of this class though, that makes sense.

Illuminations: At their core, Illuminations are nothing less than the purity and innocence of a Lightwielder made manifest to humble their foes. There is almost nothing more intrinsic to the vision of a Lightwielder than these manifestations of her power. But a Knight of the Dim Star is not what many would call a Lightwielder. Not anymore. Their purity and innocence is gone, ripped away by the harshness of their experiences in the world. And with that goes much of their power.

A Knight gains Illuminations and EL as shown. If she has more than one Evoking Class, then she must choose one of them when she takes her first level in Knight. Once made, this choice cannot be changed.

Remembered Weaving: A Knight still remembers bits and pieces of the power that was once hers, and remains fully capable of tapping into their strength. But as with anything once lost, it is a faint, faded memory of what she would be capable of if she had not been so broken.

A Knight of the Dim Star gains additional costume elements as her Evoker Level and Illuminations progress. As such, a Champion 10/Knight of the Dim Star 10, would have access to four costume elements.

Mask of the Fallen (Ex): When innocence is ripped from your heart, there are none who walk from the ordeal unscathed. And for those who wield the powers of Light, connected to that ideal like no other can be, little is left unbroken. Knights survive this breaking through the creation of their Mask, a mental construct that allows them to separate themselves from the pain of their loss. It takes great mental fortitude to create such a thing, but none but one with such could hope to emerge from such an ordeal even partially sane.

At first level, a Knight of the Dim Star gain absolute immunity to alignment detection spells, reflecting the malleable nature of their Mask. They are always aware of when their alignment is being scanned and only return a reading – of their choice – if they so choose. In physical reflection of this ability, a Knight may create a disguise in half the normal time and reduces any penalties from assuming a disguise of a different gender, race, age or size by 1.

Blade of a Brighter World (Su): The Order of the Dim Star takes no pleasure in its existence, but its members go about their duty with a dedication that is almost more frightening then their ability. Their weapons and raiment reflect this grim power, burning with a pale fire when summoned to face enemies of the Light, and granting their bearer great power.

At level two a Knight imbues her weapons with an echo of the harsh and pale fire that is all that remains of their personal Light, gaining a special Costume Effect that is always active and in addition to all others. This costume effect, however, does not have a base effect. Its Essence and Cartridge Boost effects are described below:

Essence Boost: For every mote invested in this effect, up to an investment ceiling of twice your class level, you gain two motes that can be used only to invest into other costume and device effects.
    Cartridge Boost: When you expend a Cartridge to boost the effects of Blade of a Brighter World, choose two costume or device effects that you have active and trigger the Cartridge Boost effect for both.

Light to the Memory (Su): Knights are rare creatures, those who survived the loss of – arguably – everything that made them who and what they were. And yet that rarity, for all it is a blessing, is also something of a curse. For the Dark hates them, hates them almost more than the so much rarer Children of Light, for the Knights – in the unbiased opinion of the Dark – cheat. They refuse to break when their innocence is taken from them, refuse to bow and change when the world is made to demand it, and they. Never. Stop. And yet, the Light likes the Knights little better. Those who wield its power truly – as some would say – see the Knights as terribly broken.

So the Knights learnt to hide themselves from those of Light and Dark that would seek to hinder them. They twist the Light within them, into a shield that will keep those of Light safe from them and those of Dark unaware. There are many, many tales as to the nature of this protection, and what the first of the Knights gave to attain it, but they are – must be – simply tales.

At third level, the memory of a Knight’s action fades far quicker than could be expected, as does the memory of a Knight themself. All those who witness the actions of a Knight must make a DC [10 + class level + Evoker Stat Modifier] Will save to identify her as such when questioned on the subject. Any who fail five consecutive saves against this effect rationalise the event into a local story or legend. In addition, any attempts to obtain information about Knights through divination magic requires the caster to make a caster level check against the same DC for the spell to succeed.

Mark of the Dim Star (Sp/Su): Those who lose their purity are never truly the same again, even those who wear the mask of sanity and peace are not truly so after such an ordeal. At the most basic level they are now damaged, altered by trauma that none should be capable of bearing, and this leaves a mark on even the most stalwart soul. But the Order of the Dim Star turns this mark into a weapon, one with which they can seek the true heart of evil and darkness. For damaged souls call to damaged souls, and as they grow wiser Knights learn to use this connection and calling as a powerful tool with which to cast aside the illusions of the wicked.

A fourth level Knight gains the ability to detect one alignment opposed to their own. This ability functions as at will use of the Detect spell for the chosen alignment and is a spell-like ability. In addition to this, Knights also gain a powerful supernatural ability to pierce illusions and disguises. When a Knight sees an illusion or disguise spell of any sort, she immediately makes a Will save to see through it. She need not interact with or touch the illusion, sensory contact alone is enough to grant the Will save.

In the Dark, Of the Light (Su): As the first tenant of their Order states, one never knows how bright the Light truly is until you have stood alone in Darkness, with none to judge your actions. Knights know this better than most, the experience that made them what they now are the ultimate testament to that understanding. They learn to shine as the icon of their order does, faint and hidden in the darkness that they routinely surround themselves with.

At level five, a Knight completes the painful learning experience of how to become any role that they need to be. When subjected to any ability that scans her surface thoughts, she may choose what thoughts her opponent detects and her true surface thoughts remain private. This ability does not protect against abilities that delve deeper than surface thoughts, nor against mental attacks. Further building upon the powers of her Mask, a Knight also gains the ability to assume a false alignment such that all alignment based spells and magical items affect her as if she was the alignment of her choice; this includes helpful and harmful effects. Assuming a false alignment is a standard action, and it lasts until the Knight changes it again or ends the effect (a free action).

Falling Star’s Sight (Su): A falling star sees all as it descends from the heavens, streaking across the sky in an instant before fading forever from view in a shower of light. And the dim star above them sees all they see and more, for it is unseen by many who scan the skies for threats to their power. As it is with those stars, so it is with the Knights of follow their banner, and the Sight of the Falling Star is a tool unlike any known to the world.

At sixth level, Knights of the Dim Star gain access to the second most feared – and arguably most visually iconic – of all their abilities. The power to see through disguise and render lies unspoken under the pale glow of their sight. As a standard action, a Knight may activate Falling Star’s Sight, at which point the ability remains active for a minimum of one minute – up to a maximum of a minute/level/per day. Whilst under the effects of this ability, the Knight’s eyes are replaced by a replica of a clear night’s sky, every star burning with the cracked Light of the Order of which they are part. Falling Star’s Sight acts the spell True Seeing, but with the following modifications:

First, the Knight’s sight pierces mundane deceptions as easily as it does illusions, allowing none to hide from their gaze. Second, they automatically know whenever one is under the effect of spells or abilities that allow them to ignore the effects of spells and abilities that force one to tell the truth, and are instinctively aware of when someone not so protected lies to them.

Punishments In A House Of Darkness (Su): The Mask of a Knight shifts and evolves as the Knight grows in power, growing from simply a mask to a mark, and then again to what the Order calls a Punishment. Punishments are those who have walked the road of the Order almost to its completion, and with this penultimate change to their Mask the Knight is called to strike out at the Dark which once humbled them, to seek justice – or vengeance – for the terrible wounds inflicted upon them. And against those which they know serve the dark, there is little mercy.

A Knight of the Dim Star of seventh level chooses an alignment opposed to hers and gains the ability to Smite those of that alignment. Once per encounter for every three class levels she possesses, a Knight may enhance a single melee attack with this ability. The Knight adds her Evoker Stat Modifier to her attack roll, her class level to damage, and the attack bypasses any DR that her target might possess. If she accidentally uses this ability on a creature not of her chosen alignment the smite has no effect, but the ability is still used for the encounter.

A Trail of Blood and Sorrow (Su): None know sorrow like the Knights of the Dim Star. They are broken beyond measure by the standards of other Lightwielders and they know it, forever barred from holding the Light to which they gave everything. Such sorrow is a terrible thing, and the hands of experienced Knights, it becomes another weapon in their arsenal. Rarely called upon, and remembered in fear by any who witness it and survive, the sorrow of a fallen Lightwielder is a power that none who are sane deliberately provoke.

Once per day, when confronted again by the same or a similar darkness as to that which broke them, a Knight of the Dim Star may choose to activate this ability as a full-round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Dim, terrible light erupts around the Knight, burning away any bonds that might hold them and instantly summoning their Radiant Armaments. The Knight may immediately take a full round of actions, but may not take any action akin to retreat from or mercy to those who have so provoked them. Overriding this compulsion requires a successful Will save against a DC of [10 + class level + Evoker Stat Modifier]. In addition, the Knight temporarily gains the Frightful Presence feat (Draconomicon, p.105), the DC of which is based off of the Knight’s Evoker Stat. The compulsion and temporary feat gained through activating A Trail of Blood and Sorrow’s last until the end of the encounter.

No Safety in Night (Su): To the Dark and its servants, the night is safety, a place where the Light must tread either openly in glory, or with secrecy and trepidation. Not so the Knights of the Dim Star. Their sight pierces the dark without care for the need of Light, and their star-filled eyes bring a swift end to the illusions behind which those of the Dark hide themselves. Tremble in fear, wicked and accursed, for your veils of magic and disguise will not hide you. Tremble!

This ability enhances a Knight’s Fallen Star’s Sight, allowing them to tear away the illusions that – until now – only they could see through. By expending a minute of their per day use of that ability, a Knight may make a caster level check – treating their caster level as twice their class level – against any number of the illusions that she is aware of. Those effects against which she succeeds are dispelled as Greater Dispel Magic. Effects resulting from items are suppressed for one minute. Mundane disguises and deceptions are simply evaporated under the gaze of the star-eyed.

In addition to this enhancement, the Knight's connection to the Dim Star now reaches into the most basic level of their being and changes something in the way they see the world. The Knight adds the See in Darkness supernatural ability of a devil to their racial traits.

Judgement of the Star Eyed Sanction (Su/Ex): The justice of a Knight of the Dim Star is an often terrible thing to behold, but the most powerful of their Order are capable of handing down a punishment of such dreadful severity and power that it is said that on the day it was first invoked, the Gods of Law were shaken in their courts and palaces. In the most terrifying manifestation of all their powers, Grandmasters of the Order tear away the tapestry of lies that surround those of the Dark and force them to speak the truth of their actions. And once their crimes are laid bare to the world, they are banished beyond reach of those who would seek to redeem them. Cast into a world of shadow and darkness, they face an eternal punishment for their crimes at the hands of a shard of the Knight’s Mask.

But there is more to the Star Eyed sanction than ever meets the eye, for as it is the final weapon with which the Order of the Dim Star cleanses the world, it is also a power that can, if she so chooses, lead to a Knight’s rebirth.

At level ten, whilst under the effect of Fallen Star’s Sight, a Knight may target any foe within her line of sight with her Judgement. The pale half-light of their icon erupts around her, forming chains of bale power that reach out to bind her target in place. The target is allowed a single will save against the effects of the Judgement, against a DC of [15 + class level + Evoker Stat Modifier]. If they succeed, they manage to shrug off the Judgement in its opening stages, before the Knight digs too deeply into their mind. The trauma of being assaulted in such a fashion leaves marks however, inflicting 1d4 points of ability damage to each of the target’s mental ability scores. If the target fails their save, the Judgement proceeds to the Sanction.

The target is forced to verbally recant their crimes – although a Knight may end this recital at any time of her choosing. Upon ending their testimony, the target is banished into a locked Demiplane known only to those of the Order, and is left in that world of agonizing shadows at the mercy of a shard of the Knight’s own Mask. Divination spells to obtain information about the target or their location automatically fail, and the only way to enter the Demiplane is with the aid of a Knight capable of the Sanction.

After five uses of this ability, the true power of the Sanctions manifests before the Knight to grant her a single, incredible choice. For in each use of the Sanction, a Knight casts away a piece of her Mask until it is all but vanished, inflicting the due punishment upon those she has imprisoned. The final truth of the Order is whispered into her mind, and she is offered a final choice; to cast aside the Mask that she created for herself, or to become it.

A Knight who chooses to cast their Mask aside immediately looses all their levels in Knight, and may replace them with ten levels from any Tome of Radiance PrC that they qualify for. Their lost purity restored through their final rejection of what they became upon its loss, the Light welcomes them fully back into its embrace. The Mask remains however, now free from its mortal shell in the Demiplane of the Knights, and will not pause in its duty unless the redeemed Knight finds her way to that Demiplane and orders it to cease.

A Knight who chooses the latter option, to become the Mask that they have built, gains in full the terrible power of the Dim Star, becoming one with the pale echo of the pure Light that they once wielded. The Knight gains the ability to Plane Shift (Self only + 50 lbs. of non-living material) to the prison Demiplane to oversee the punishment of those she has Judged and Sanctioned there, and directly back to where she came from. Upon accepting her Mask, the Knight is actually automatically transferred to that Demiplane where she joins again with that Mask and – in doing so – gains the following benefits.

First, the Mask grants her a permanent Mind Blank effect, modified such that it grants the Knight a saving throw at a +4 modifier against any non-Epic effects that would pierce it, such as Metafaculty. Second, the Knight counts as a specific alignment only when it would be in her benefit to do so. Third, she is automatically aware of the visible alignments of those within her line of sight – limited as all Detect spells are in regards to interposed material. Fourth, she gains a bonus equal to half her class level to Disguise checks and the nature of her Mask means that any disguises she crafts for herself cannot be seen through by non-magical means. Finally, her Smite ability may affect any alignment and remains in effect against any target struck by it until that target is either dead or incapacitated – or until the Knight next rests and regains her uses of the ability.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2014-04-02 at 01:17 PM.
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Show

<struck dumb>

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

Iiiiiiiiiiinteresting.
    The only mechanical issue I'd have is that smite is not strong enough to be per day. It should be per encounter, imo.
    (I'd also edit the capstone to let them swap to a PrC that they qualify, or to just take a straight ten levels of base class)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

Just one thing to point out:
    The prerequisites don't prevent someone Evil from becoming a Knight, by having refused once and changed later. Even someone who started out Evil could get in with a Helm of Opposite Alignment and a helpful ally, if you're not capable of killing them - put it on, become Good, stop them from taking it off you the first time, then they force their way past you to do it the second time. Whether this was intended I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #580

Holy glub I have so much catchup to do.

On the bright side, my final exam for summer courses is now done and submitted, so I have almost two full weeks of time off before the fall semester starts up! I'm hoping to start catching up on this, now that I don't have giant piles of coursework destroying any semblance of free time.

Still, sorry for the absence. It was probably a bad idea to get started on the costume overhaul when I was in the middle of a bunch of other stuff.
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

11. - Top - End - #581
    Troll in the Playground

Just one thing to point out:
    The prerequisites don't prevent someone Evil from becoming a Knight, by having refused once and changed later. Even someone who started out Evil could get in with a Helm of Opposite Alignment and a helpful ally, if you're not capable of killing them - put it on, become Good, stop them from taking it off you the first time, then they force their way past you to do it the second time. Whether this was intended I don't know.
    I will point out that that involves the character knowing things about the class that only the player does, so it's kinda a moot point. As to the fact that the pre-reqs don't prevent evil Knights? Yeah, that's pretty much deliberate. Knight of the Dim Star evolved out of a Gray Guard type ideal - the original for which is still in progress - and the Order doesn't much care about your alignment as long as you hold to their tenants. Are Knights - at some basic level - usually acting to destroy evil, well yes. But that says nothing as to their methods. And the fact that they're vaguely memory-proof allows them to get away with quite a few things that most couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Iiiiiiiiiiinteresting.
    The only mechanical issue I'd have is that smite is not strong enough to be per day. It should be per encounter, imo.
    (I'd also edit the capstone to let them swap to a PrC that they qualify, or to just take a straight ten levels of base class)
    The Smite is actually deliberately not as strong as that of a Paladin or other such class, mainly because making it so would be too strong when taken with all the other boosts a Knight gains access to. Considering that it gives you an attack pretty much guaranteed to hit assuming you kept on pushing your Evoker Stat, I think that's good enough when you take into account the damage boost and the fact that it totally bypasses your foe's DR

I'm up in the air on the 'or base class' score, mainly because I'm unsure it fits. I may change it at some point, but we'll see.

Also, yay! Selinia's back! Hope we haven't made too much work for you and that your exams all went well. Oh and is there a reason that Light's Artist and Child of Light aren't linked on the front page?
    Show

<struck dumb>

12. - Top - End - #582
    Troll in the Playground

Looking at the skills for entry it best feels like a prestige for a rogue multiclas, but that evoker level 10 requirement makes me think that it would be imposible to get all ten levels in a normal 20 level campaign, unless im missing something. Yea unless your an empath.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2013-08-09 at 07:10 AM.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Troll in the Playground

Looking at the skills for entry it best feels like a prestige for a rogue multiclas, but that evoker level 10 requirement makes me think that it would be imposible to get all ten levels in a normal 20 level campaign, unless im missing something.
    There's a feat that helps you get around that.

Spoiler
    Show
    Practiced Evoker
    Your studies in other subjects have not led you to neglect your inner radiance. It may not be the sole focus of your training, but your luminous spirit burns bright as ever.

Prerequisites: Illuminations class feature
    Benefit: Your evoker level increases by two, up to a maximum of your HD.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.

Multiclassing rogue or another skilly class will help with this, but it's still possible to get 8 ranks (for a +4 modifier) in four cross class skills as a full Evoker - so long as you have a reasonable Int bonus.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2013-08-09 at 07:12 AM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground

Ahh, that would be my lack on knowledge of the ToR kicking in. Also i thought in 3.5 that the max skill rank for a cross class skill was half of your level? Or have i just been playing pathfinder for to long.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Troll in the Playground

Ahh, that would be my lack on knowledge of the ToR kicking in. Also i thought in 3.5 that the max skill rank for a cross class skill was half of your level? Or have i just been playing pathfinder for to long.
    Skill rank is not the same as ranks invested, at least as far as I've always been concerned. I see rank and points as synonymous, and as it takes 2 skill points to get a single +1 modifier, it works out.
    Show

<struck dumb>

16. - Top - End - #586
    Troll in the Playground

Skill rank is not the same as ranks invested, at least as far as I've always been concerned. I see rank and points as synonymous, and as it takes 2 skill points to get a single +1 modifier, it works out.
    O ok, now that i think about it i have never seen that come up before.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ettin in the Playground

3.5 rules, though, unfortunately don't see it like that. Rank is an actual number you add to your stat modifier, and is capped, for cross-class skills, at one half of (level + 3) (and costs 2 Skill points/rank), so, under RAW, no getting 8 ranks in a cross-class skill by level 10.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

18. - Top - End - #588
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    3.5 rules, though, unfortunately don't see it like that. Rank is an actual number you add to your stat modifier, and is capped, for cross-class skills, at one half of (level + 3) (and costs 2 Skill points/rank), so, under RAW, no getting 8 ranks in a cross-class skill by level 10.
    Ah, thank you for the clarification. Fixed.
    Show

<struck dumb>

19. - Top - End - #589

Spoiler
    Show
    I will have a thread up for the promised game by the end of the week. For now, look! I made another PrC!

I'll have full explanation spoiler stuff added in the morning. For now, please tell me what you think.

Knight of the Dim Star

You only know how bright the Light is when you stand alone in the darkness with no one to judge your actions. When you return from that crucible, then you are changed.
    – First Tenant of the Order of the Dim Star

None chooses the Order of the Dim Star. It is a burden brought upon the young and innocent, taking both away in exchange for great expertise and determination in the war against the darkness. These valiant warriors are compelled to make certain that no other need suffer through their brand of enlightenment.

Once the Knight was lost amongst the darkness, surrounded by evil, depravity and vice so intense that it robbed them of their sacred innocence, the pure radiance that was once theirs sullied. However where others might have despaired or surrendered to what they saw as defeat, these stubborn women refused to bend knee. They embraced the truth of the world, that sometimes bad things must happen to bad people in order for good people to be left alone. Ignorance is a privilege, that is their secret creed.

They are no longer bound by the codes they once held so dear. They are pragmatists and uncompromising in their struggle, the pale and dim radiance that surrounds them keeping them hidden from sight even as they leave a trail of blood and destruction in their wake.

From destruction, death.
    From death, rebirth.
    From rebirth, cleansing.
    From cleansing, purity.
    From purity, bliss.

Together they build a world which, if they succeed, will have no need for people such as they. That is the price they pay, willingly, for a better world.

And let not even the darkest night be safe where even the dimmest light shines.

Requirements
    To become a Knight of the Dim Star, you must fulfil the following criteria:
    Skills: 8 ranks in four of Bluff, Disguise, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Forgery, Hide, Move Silently, Open Lock and Sleight of Hand
    Saves: +5 Will Saving Throw
    Special: Evoker Level 10, must have had the opportunity to turn Evil and either rejected or resisted it

Spoiler
    Show
    This is something of a 'veteran' class, requiring a good spread of skills, a good will save - for reasons explained below, and some rather specific circumstances. Oh yeah, and it's an 11th level entry.

Class Skill List: Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Dex), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge [Dungeoneering] (Int), Knowledge [History] (Int), Knowledge [Local] (Int), Knowledge [Nobility] (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex) Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magical Device (Cha)

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lots and lots of skills coupled with a good number of skill points. Might seem a bit much, but Knights go places that most Evokers would never dream of, and they have to be able to pass unseen.

Knight of the Dim Star

Hit Dice: d10

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Illuminations

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Remembered Weaving, Mask of the Fallen|

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Blade of a Brighter World|

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Light to the Memory|

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Mark of the Dim Star|
    |

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |In the Dark, Of the Light|

6th|
    +6
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Falling Star’s Sight|

7th|
    +7
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Punishments In A House of Darkness|

8th|
    +8
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |A Trail of Blood and Sorrow|

9th|
    +9
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |No Safety in Night|

10th|
    +10
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Judgement of the Star-eyed Sanction|
    [/table]

Spoiler
    Show
    Similar chassis to the Listener to Light actually, but with different saves (I think) and a higher HD. Considering the rather different focus of this class though, that makes sense.

Illuminations: At their core, Illuminations are nothing less than the purity and innocence of a Lightwielder made manifest to humble their foes. There is almost nothing more intrinsic to the vision of a Lightwielder than these manifestations of her power. But a Knight of the Dim Star is not what many would call a Lightwielder. Not anymore. Their purity and innocence is gone, ripped away by the harshness of their experiences in the world. And with that goes much of their power.

A Knight gains Illuminations and EL as shown. If she has more than one Evoking Class, then she must choose one of them when she takes her first level in Knight. Once made, this choice cannot be changed.

Remembered Weaving: A Knight still remembers bits and pieces of the power that was once hers, and remains fully capable of tapping into their strength. But as with anything once lost, it is a faint, faded memory of what she would be capable of if she had not been so broken.

A Knight of the Dim Star gains additional costume elements as her Evoker Level and Illuminations progress. As such, a Champion 10/Knight of the Dim Star 10, would have access to four costume elements.

Mask of the Fallen (Ex): When innocence is ripped from your heart, there are none who walk from the ordeal unscathed. And for those who wield the powers of Light, connected to that ideal like no other can be, little is left unbroken. Knights survive this breaking through the creation of their Mask, a mental construct that allows them to separate themselves from the pain of their loss. It takes great mental fortitude to create such a thing, but none but one with such could hope to emerge from such an ordeal even partially sane.

At first level, a Knight of the Dim Star gain absolute immunity to alignment detection spells, reflecting the malleable nature of their Mask. They are always aware of when their alignment is being scanned and only return a reading – of their choice – if they so choose. In physical reflection of this ability, a Knight may create a disguise in half the normal time and reduces any penalties from assuming a disguise of a different gender, race, age or size by 1.

Blade of a Brighter World (Su): The Order of the Dim Star takes no pleasure in its existence, but its members go about their duty with a dedication that is almost more frightening then their ability. Their weapons and raiment reflect this grim power, burning with a pale fire when summoned to face enemies of the Light, and granting their bearer great power.

At level two a Knight imbues her weapons with an echo of the harsh and pale fire that is all that remains of their personal Light, gaining a special Costume Effect that is always active and in addition to all others. This costume effect, however, does not have a base effect. Its Essence and Cartridge Boost effects are described below:

Essence Boost: For every mote invested in this effect, up to an investment ceiling of twice your class level, you gain two motes that can be used only to invest into other costume and device effects.
    Cartridge Boost: When you expend a Cartridge to boost the effects of Blade of a Brighter World, choose two costume or device effects that you have active and trigger the Cartridge Boost effect for both.

Light to the Memory (Su): Knights are rare creatures, those who survived the loss of – arguably – everything that made them who and what they were. And yet that rarity, for all it is a blessing, is also something of a curse. For the Dark hates them, hates them almost more than the so much rarer Children of Light, for the Knights – in the unbiased opinion of the Dark – cheat. They refuse to break when their innocence is taken from them, refuse to bow and change when the world is made to demand it, and they. Never. Stop. And yet, the Light likes the Knights little better. Those who wield its power truly – as some would say – see the Knights as terribly broken.

So the Knights learnt to hide themselves from those of Light and Dark that would seek to hinder them. They twist the Light within them, into a shield that will keep those of Light safe from them and those of Dark unaware. There are many, many tales as to the nature of this protection, and what the first of the Knights gave to attain it, but they are – must be – simply tales.

At third level, the memory of a Knight’s action fades far quicker than could be expected, as does the memory of a Knight themself. All those who witness the actions of a Knight must make a DC [10 + class level + Evoker Stat Modifier] Will save to identify her as such when questioned on the subject. Any who fail five consecutive saves against this effect rationalise the event into a local story or legend. In addition, any attempts to obtain information about Knights through divination magic requires the caster to make a caster level check against the same DC for the spell to succeed.

Mark of the Dim Star (Sp/Su): Those who lose their purity are never truly the same again, even those who wear the mask of sanity and peace are not truly so after such an ordeal. At the most basic level they are now damaged, altered by trauma that none should be capable of bearing, and this leaves a mark on even the most stalwart soul. But the Order of the Dim Star turns this mark into a weapon, one with which they can seek the true heart of evil and darkness. For damaged souls call to damaged souls, and as they grow wiser Knights learn to use this connection and calling as a powerful tool with which to cast aside the illusions of the wicked.

A fourth level Knight gains the ability to detect one alignment opposed to their own. This ability functions as at will use of the Detect spell for the chosen alignment and is a spell-like ability. In addition to this, Knights also gain a powerful supernatural ability to pierce illusions and disguises. When a Knight sees an illusion or disguise spell of any sort, she immediately makes a Will save to see through it. She need not interact with or touch the illusion, sensory contact alone is enough to grant the Will save.

In the Dark, Of the Light (Su): As the first tenant of their Order states, one never knows how bright the Light truly is until you have stood alone in Darkness, with none to judge your actions. Knights know this better than most, the experience that made them what they now are the ultimate testament to that understanding. They learn to shine as the icon of their order does, faint and hidden in the darkness that they routinely surround themselves with.

At level five, a Knight completes the painful learning experience of how to become any role that they need to be. When subjected to any ability that scans her surface thoughts, she may choose what thoughts her opponent detects and her true surface thoughts remain private. This ability does not protect against abilities that delve deeper than surface thoughts, nor against mental attacks. Further building upon the powers of her Mask, a Knight also gains the ability to assume a false alignment such that all alignment based spells and magical items affect her as if she was the alignment of her choice; this includes helpful and harmful effects. Assuming a false alignment is a standard action, and it lasts until the Knight changes it again or ends the effect (a free action).

Falling Star’s Sight (Su): A falling star sees all as it descends from the heavens, streaking across the sky in an instant before fading forever from view in a shower of light. And the dim star above them sees all they see and more, for it is unseen by many who scan the skies for threats to their power. As it is with those stars, so it is with the Knights of follow their banner, and the Sight of the Falling Star is a tool unlike any known to the world.

At sixth level, Knights of the Dim Star gain access to the second most feared – and arguably most visually iconic – of all their abilities. The power to see through disguise and render lies unspoken under the pale glow of their sight. As a standard action, a Knight may activate Falling Star’s Sight, at which point the ability remains active for a minimum of one minute – up to a maximum of a minute/level/per day. Whilst under the effects of this ability, the Knight’s eyes are replaced by a replica of a clear night’s sky, every star burning with the cracked Light of the Order of which they are part. Falling Star’s Sight acts the spell True Seeing, but with the following modifications:

First, the Knight’s sight pierces mundane deceptions as easily as it does illusions, allowing none to hide from their gaze. Second, they automatically know whenever one is under the effect of spells or abilities that allow them to ignore the effects of spells and abilities that force one to tell the truth, and are instinctively aware of when someone not so protected lies to them.

Punishments In A House Of Darkness (Su): The Mask of a Knight shifts and evolves as the Knight grows in power, growing from simply a mask to a mark, and then again to what the Order calls a Punishment. Punishments are those who have walked the road of the Order almost to its completion, and with this penultimate change to their Mask the Knight is called to strike out at the Dark which once humbled them, to seek justice – or vengeance – for the terrible wounds inflicted upon them. And against those which they know serve the dark, there is little mercy.

A Knight of the Dim Star of seventh level chooses an alignment opposed to hers and gains the ability to Smite those of that alignment. Once per day for every three class levels she possesses, a Knight may enhance a single melee attack with this ability. The Knight adds her Evoker Stat Modifier to her attack roll, her class level to damage, and the attack bypasses any DR that her target might possess. If she accidently uses this ability on a creature not of her chosen alignment the smite has no effect, but the ability is still used for the day.

A Trail of Blood and Sorrow (Su): None know sorrow like the Knights of the Dim Star. They are broken beyond measure by the standards of other Lightwielders and they know it, forever barred from holding the Light to which they gave everything. Such sorrow is a terrible thing, and the hands of experienced Knights, it becomes another weapon in their arsenal. Rarely called upon, and remembered in fear by any who witness it and survive, the sorrow of a fallen Lightwielder is a power that none who are sane deliberately provoke.

Once per day, when confronted again by the same or a similar darkness as to that which broke them, a Knight of the Dim Star may choose to activate this ability as a full-round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Dim, terrible light erupts around the Knight, burning away any bonds that might hold them and instantly summoning their Radiant Armaments. The Knight may immediately take a full round of actions, but may not take any action akin to retreat from or mercy to those who have so provoked them. Overriding this compulsion requires a successful Will save against a DC of [10 + class level + Evoker Stat Modifier]. In addition, the Knight temporarily gains the Frightful Presence feat (Draconomicon, p.105), the DC of which is based off of the Knight’s Evoker Stat Modifier. The compulsion and temporary feat gained through activating A Trail of Blood and Sorrow’s last until the end of the encounter.

No Safety in Night (Su): To the Dark and its servants, the night is safety, a place where the Light must tread either openly in glory, or with secrecy and trepidation. Not so the Knights of the Dim Star. Their sight pierces the dark without care for the need of Light, and their star-filled eyes bring a swift end to the illusions behind which those of the Dark hide themselves. Tremble in fear, wicked and accursed, for your veils of magic and disguise will not hide you. Tremble!

This ability enhances a Knight’s Fallen Star’s Sight, allowing them to tear away the illusions that – until now – only they could see through. By expending a minute of their per day use of that ability, a Knight may make a caster level check – treating their caster level as twice their class level – against any number of the illusions that she is aware of. Those effects against which she succeeds are dispelled as Greater Dispel Magic. Effects resulting from items are suppressed for one minute. Mundane disguises and deceptions are simply evaporated under the gaze of the star-eyed.

Judgement of the Star Eyed Sanction (Su/Ex): The justice of a Knight of the Dim Star is an often terrible thing to behold, but the most powerful of their Order are capable of handing down a punishment of such dreadful severity and power that it is said that on the day it was first invoked, the Gods of Law were shaken in their courts and palaces. In the most terrifying manifestation of all their powers, Grandmasters of the Order tear away the tapestry of lies that surround those of the Dark and force them to speak the truth of their actions. And once their crimes are laid bare to the world, they are banished beyond reach of those who would seek to redeem them. Cast into a world of shadow and darkness, they face an eternal punishment for their crimes at the hands of a shard of the Knight’s Mask.

But there is more to the Star Eyed sanction than ever meets the eye, for as it is the final weapon with which the Order of the Dim Star cleanses the world, it is also a power that can, if she so chooses, lead to a Knight’s rebirth.

At level ten, whilst under the effect of Fallen Star’s Sight, a Knight may target any foe within her line of sight with her Judgement. The pale half-light of their icon erupts around her, forming chains of bale power that reach out to bind her target in place. The target is allowed a single will save against the effects of the Judgement, against a DC of [15 + class level + Evoker Stat Modifier]. If they succeed, they manage to shrug off the Judgement in its opening stages, before the Knight digs too deeply into their mind. The trauma of being assaulted in such a fashion leaves marks however, inflicting 1d4 points of ability damage to each of the target’s mental ability scores. If the target fails their save, the Judgement proceeds to the Sanction.

The target is forced to verbally recant their crimes – although a Knight may end this recital at any time of her choosing. Upon ending their testimony, the target is banished into a locked Demiplane known only to those of the Order, and is left in that world of agonizing shadows at the mercy of a shard of the Knight’s own Mask. Divination spells to obtain information about the target or their location automatically fail, and the only way to enter the Demiplane is with the aid of a Knight capable of the Sanction.

After five uses of this ability, the true power of the Sanctions manifests before the Knight to grant her a single, incredible choice. For in each use of the Sanction, a Knight casts away a piece of her Mask until it is all but vanished, inflicting the due punishment upon those she has imprisoned. The final truth of the Order is whispered into her mind, and she is offered a final choice; to cast aside the Mask that she created for herself, or to become it.

A Knight who chooses to cast their Mask aside immediately looses all their levels in Knight, and may replace them with ten levels from any Tome of Radiance PrC that they qualify for. Their lost purity restored through their final rejection of what they became upon its loss, the Light welcomes them fully back into its embrace. The Mask remains however, now free from its mortal shell in the Demiplane of the Knights, and will not pause in its duty unless the redeemed Knight finds her way to that Demiplane and orders it to cease.

A Knight who chooses the latter option, to become the Mask that they have built, gains in full the terrible power of the Dim Star, becoming one with the pale echo of the pure Light that they once wielded. The Knight gains the ability to Plane Shift (Self only + 50 lbs. of non-living material) to the prison Demiplane to oversee the punishment of those she has Judged and Sanctioned there, and directly back to where she came from. Upon accepting her Mask, the Knight is actually automatically transferred to that Demiplane where she joins again with that Mask and – in doing so – gains the following benefits.

First, the Mask grants her a permanent Mind Blank effect, modified such that it grants the Knight a saving throw at a +4 modifier against any non-Epic effects that would pierce it, such as Metafaculty. Second, the Knight counts as a specific alignment only when it would be in her benefit to do so. Third, she is automatically aware of the visible alignments of those within her line of sight – limited as all Detect spells are in regards to interposed material. Fourth, she gains a bonus equal to half her class level to Disguise checks and the nature of her Mask means that any disguises she crafts for herself cannot be seen through by non-magical means. Finally, her Smite ability may affect any alignment and remains in effect against any target struck by it until that target is either dead or incapacitated – or until the Knight next rests and regains her uses of the ability.

Why, hello there...Batman! lol.

In all honesty, that's the first thing that came to mind when I saw this prestige class come up.

Fluff is good.

Requirements to get in may be slightly...unique (i.e. difficult). But a player does have 10 levels to work with in order to fulfill all of the requirements. I'm not sure if that matters too much as I've only played Pathfinder and not 3.5.

Skills and chassis looks good. The larger lack of illuminations in comparison with your normal prestige class for this tome definitely fits the theme of the class.

The mask ability is definitely an interesting idea, and I think it fits.

Blade of a Brighter World...hmmm, where have I seen this before? Naturally this is one of the class' stronger abilities. And I think it's probably appropriate.

Light to the Memory: this is an interesting concept. And I think it fits. In general I'd say that you're far more versed in what is likely to happen, but in my honest opinion? It seems as if 5 consecutive failures is not very likely to happen, especially if the knight happens to leave some of the evil compatriots behind. Or perhaps, even worse, if the knight has to flee from a battle because the enemy is too strong. Well, I suppose it's unrealistic for those kind of enemies not to know what's going on anyways. Just thought I'd throw out there that this ability seems slightly weak.

Mark of the Dim Star: aaaaahhh.....yeeeeaaaaah, about that, in case you didn't notice, since it is possible to be a knight and be evil aligned, this ability would actually allow you to detect good instead of evil. And if you're neutral, what happens then? Do you detect chaos or law? Or perchance if you're true neutral? I think a bit of clarification could help out here.

In the Dark, of the Light: ah, another non detection ability. Meh.

Falling Star's Sight: Seems both good for theme and mechanics.

Punishments in a House of Darkness: yep, very fitting...except that I completely agree with Lix Lorn on this: it's not strong enough to warrant not getting it per encounter. You also have to take into consideration that this class doesn't really get much else in the way of straight up battle offense or defense. Most of their abilities have to do with being detected. And yet what is perhaps more intrinsic to this class than others is that they are called to fight and kill. Three smites per encounter at level 19 is hardly too strong.

There is however one other thing that needs to be pointed out in this ability: Like mark of the Dim Star, this ability actually lets you smite good people! Now, have something to detect good people is one thing, but to smite them? Doesn't exactly fit the theme of the class, nor even the name of the ability. And again, what happens when your alignment is neutral?

A trail of blood and Sorrow: Fitting.

No Safety in the Night: again, fitting, though particularly late on when it is acquired. I'd say if you can find a way to beef it up any, the class could probably use it.

And then there's Judgment of the Star Eyed Sanction: This ability is quite interesting in that it actually lets you change your class after it has been used. However, that particular bit has me slightly frustrated. To change the character's class seems like a repentance from the methods of the Order, which is fine. But how easy is it to say that you've repented AFTER you have had your revenge? To truly show the repentence, I'd say change the ability such that after the evil person has finished recanting, the Knight may instead choose to immediately roll for Power of Frienship, and if the character does then they get to change classes regardless of whether or not the roll was successful. If the character goes through with the judgment then they automatically become the mask.

There's another thing that bothers me about the changing of classes. Given how prestige classes are almost like getting a master's degree (or PHD as it may be) in some special niche of a larger subject, it doesn't really make sense that a character who may have spent years working in the darkness suddenly knows a special niche of the light (aka, get's to put levels in a prestige class). I think it would make far more (thematic) sense for the character to have to take ten levels of whatever base class they were originally part of. This also (thematically) shows the person returning to the light that they knew. Given how few games actually make it to level twenty (at least on these boards from what I've heard), I'd say that forcing a character to take their original base class is probably not too much of a tax on them. Unless the group is planning on going into epic levels, the player is probably not going to have much time left with the character before starting a new game.

All in all, an interesting class, though I do have to say that the class doesn't really seem to fit well into a group setting. I suppose that'd have to be playtested to be confirmed, but yeah, overall not too shabby.

20. - Top - End - #590

yuk Re: Tome of Radiance: Mastering the Power of Love and Justice

skill points are a ... very unusual thing to base a prerequisite on. you might possibly want to consider just reducing that to 6 ranks in four of them, so that it's still a 10th level entry limited by evoker level, and the skills are attainable at 9 cross-class.

21. - Top - End - #591

I was re-reading through the Order of the Stick comic today and I read how outsiders can't be resurrected. If that is so, how does tiers nine and ten of Avatar of light (where you would normally come back to life after dying as long as you don't have mythic damage equal to half your max hp (tier 9) or equal to your max hp (tier 10)) work with sunlight/moonlight/starlight apotheosis?

22. - Top - End - #592
    Troll in the Playground

I was re-reading through the Order of the Stick comic today and I read how outsiders can't be resurrected. If that is so, how does tiers nine and ten of Avatar of light (where you would normally come back to life after dying as long as you don't have mythic damage equal to half your max hp (tier 9) or equal to your max hp (tier 10)) work with sunlight/moonlight/starlight apotheosis?
    I believe they make you native outsiders. I think natives can be resurrected.

23. - Top - End - #593

Ah, I see. Cool stuff.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Troll in the Playground

I believe they make you native outsiders. I think natives can be resurrected.
    This is correct. Native outsiders may be resurrected be spells like raise dead.

Also, I will hopefully have answers to stuff regarding Knight of the Dim Star up tomorrow. I've got it all written, but no internet access but for my phone. Which...really isn't what I want to write it all with.
    Show

<struck dumb>

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ettin in the Playground

Get your facts straight. Raise Dead, Reincarnate and Resurrection can't bring outsiders back to life. This is a limitation of these spells more than anything.

Revive Outsider, True Resurrection, Miracle, and Wish can all bring outsiders back to life. One of these is even NOT a 9th level spell!

------

Edit: Idea that came to me just a moment ago in a chat with Sel. Tongue in cheek optional.

Plot Device [Lightforge]
    The tool of the evoker is no mere weapon to punish the wicked, it is an instrument of wonder and magic.
    Prerequisite: Radiant Armaments class feature, Evoker level 12, Spellcraft 6 ranks.
    Benefit: Once per day, the evoker may cast Limited Wish at no experience cost.

The evoker can invest motes into this feat, gaining one additional daily use of it for every six motes invested. Once that daily use is expended, the next use can only be made available by investing the proper number of motes into the feat (six, twelve, eighteen, etc.), no matter how many times the motes are invested into this feat, each use is only available once per day.

By investing twenty motes into this feat, an evoker who has yet to use any of her limited wishes for the day can cast a Wish instead, although this incurs an experience cost as normal. Casting this Wish consumes four daily uses of the Limited Wish made available by this feat.

The evoker's device acts as a focus for the spells, using this feat is considered a supernatural ability, and as such casting the spells does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
    Last edited by Draken; 2013-08-09 at 08:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

26. - Top - End - #596

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Get your facts straight. Raise Dead, Reincarnate and Resurrection can't bring outsiders back to life. This is a limitation of these spells more than anything.
    Specific overrides general. Please report to the infirmary for the reversal of your recto-cranial inversion.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Troll in the Playground

Light to the Memory: this is an interesting concept. And I think it fits. In general I'd say that you're far more versed in what is likely to happen, but in my honest opinion? It seems as if 5 consecutive failures is not very likely to happen, especially if the knight happens to leave some of the evil compatriots behind. Or perhaps, even worse, if the knight has to flee from a battle because the enemy is too strong. Well, I suppose it's unrealistic for those kind of enemies not to know what's going on anyways. Just thought I'd throw out there that this ability seems slightly weak.
    Please remember that the five consecutive failures part of this feature is the one that turns that particular event permanently memory proof for that character. Perhaps more important, the effect triggers a save whenever the event is discussed and if the character fails their save, they just remmeber the event with the Knight being some nameless and unknown hero/villain/what-have-you.

The feature is designed as more of a means to prevent tracking than a means to make their enemies forget about them.

Mark of the Dim Star: aaaaahhh.....yeeeeaaaaah, about that, in case you didn't notice, since it is possible to be a knight and be evil aligned, this ability would actually allow you to detect good instead of evil. And if you're neutral, what happens then? Do you detect chaos or law? Or perchance if you're true neutral? I think a bit of clarification could help out here.
    And I am going to point out here, that I did this deliberately. If you've become Evil-aligned at this point, then it's totally reasonable for you to choose Good as your alignment to Detect instead of Law of Chaos (whichever one you can). PLease, please note that what has been shown above in regards to this being a class that will fully tolerate evil members in their ranks - so long as they hold to the Order's tenants. So LE and NE are perfectly acceptable - CE being maybe a bit too much of a stretch.

Regarding neutral characters, you choose the opposed alignment to your. So if you're, say, Neutral Good, you have to choose Evil.

Punishments in a House of Darkness: yep, very fitting...except that I completely agree with Lix Lorn on this: it's not strong enough to warrant not getting it per encounter. You also have to take into consideration that this class doesn't really get much else in the way of straight up battle offense or defense. Most of their abilities have to do with being detected. And yet what is perhaps more intrinsic to this class than others is that they are called to fight and kill. Three smites per encounter at level 19 is hardly too strong.

There is however one other thing that needs to be pointed out in this ability: Like mark of the Dim Star, this ability actually lets you smite good people! Now, have something to detect good people is one thing, but to smite them? Doesn't exactly fit the theme of the class, nor even the name of the ability. And again, what happens when your alignment is neutral?
    I'm open to suggestions in regards to strengthening this, but I'm rather opposed to giving this class better Smiting use than either the PF or 3.5 Paladin. See above for notes on alignment stuff.

No Safety in the Night: again, fitting, though particularly late on when it is acquired. I'd say if you can find a way to beef it up any, the class could probably use it.
    I'm thinking about giving innate Darkvision similar to what Devils get - in that it can see through Supernatural Darkness. Any other suggestions would be welcome

And then there's Judgment of the Star Eyed Sanction: This ability is quite interesting in that it actually lets you change your class after it has been used. However, that particular bit has me slightly frustrated. To change the character's class seems like a repentance from the methods of the Order, which is fine. But how easy is it to say that you've repented AFTER you have had your revenge? To truly show the repentence, I'd say change the ability such that after the evil person has finished recanting, the Knight may instead choose to immediately roll for Power of Frienship, and if the character does then they get to change classes regardless of whether or not the roll was successful. If the character goes through with the judgment then they automatically become the mask.
    And here we run into misunderstanding of the class fluff. See, the thing about the method you've proposed requires that the Knight actually be aware of two things. First, even the possibility of redemption for them after what the Knight has done. Second, and much more importantly, an awareness of the Mask as a separate entity that the Knight can separate herself from. Until a Knight uses the Sanction enough times to remove the vast majority of their Mask from their mind, they aren't. To a rather large degree, the Mask is effectively a split personality from the Knight, formed initially out of the pain that had been inflicted upon them. It's a case of being unaware of even the possibility of the choice you've outlined.

There's another thing that bothers me about the changing of classes. Given how prestige classes are almost like getting a master's degree (or PHD as it may be) in some special niche of a larger subject, it doesn't really make sense that a character who may have spent years working in the darkness suddenly knows a special niche of the light (aka, get's to put levels in a prestige class). I think it would make far more (thematic) sense for the character to have to take ten levels of whatever base class they were originally part of. This also (thematically) shows the person returning to the light that they knew. Given how few games actually make it to level twenty (at least on these boards from what I've heard), I'd say that forcing a character to take their original base class is probably not too much of a tax on them. Unless the group is planning on going into epic levels, the player is probably not going to have much time left with the character before starting a new game.
    In all honesty, I'm probably not going to be things. I don't have the right words on hand to explain why, but I know I've got them somewhere - and I'll get back to you.

Hopefully that answers everything.

Oh, and I really need to update Avatars of Light for the new Illumination Components.
    Show

<struck dumb>

28. - Top - End - #598
    Troll in the Playground

I'm open to suggestions in regards to strengthening this, but I'm rather opposed to giving this class better Smiting use than either the PF or 3.5 Paladin. See above for notes on alignment stuff.
    While admirable the problem with this is that the paladin's ability to smite sucks.

3.5's paladin gets a small boost to damage out put on a single attack. A level 20 paladin who has put everything into maxing out Charisma receives a +13 to attack bonus and an extra 20 damage five times per day, and can waste one of those uses by hitting something that isn't evil or missing.

A PF Paladin's smite functions more like a 4e striker's mark, giving him a ton of damage output, theoretically, against a single target. They essentially gain the 3.5 paladin's smite against a target until that target dies or the paladin rests, as well as an additional defense boost. And he can do that more times per day.

Pathfinder's designers thought that the 3.5 smite was so weak that they let their paladin have every attack against a given target be a smite. What does that say about the paladin? And by extension, your class's smite?

It isn't a game changer. It isn't an ability that you use and you've suddenly got a massive advantage. At best it should be an innate effect: when striking an opponent of the opposite alignment, you gain a boost in attack bonus and damage equal to these things. At worst, it should be an ability per encounter.

If you really want it to be a daily, it should be more akin to the Barbarian's Rage than the Paladin's Smite.
    Last edited by NineThePuma; 2013-08-10 at 09:20 AM.

29. - Top - End - #599

Please remember that the five consecutive failures part of this feature is the one that turns that particular event permanently memory proof for that character. Perhaps more important, the effect triggers a save whenever the event is discussed and if the character fails their save, they just remmeber the event with the Knight being some nameless and unknown hero/villain/what-have-you.

The feature is designed as more of a means to prevent tracking than a means to make their enemies forget about them.
    Oh, I understood that it was designed to help keep their anonymity, I just didn't think it would actually work out very well.

And I am going to point out here, that I did this deliberately. If you've become Evil-aligned at this point, then it's totally reasonable for you to choose Good as your alignment to Detect instead of Law of Chaos (whichever one you can). PLease, please note that what has been shown above in regards to this being a class that will fully tolerate evil members in their ranks - so long as they hold to the Order's tenants. So LE and NE are perfectly acceptable - CE being maybe a bit too much of a stretch.

Regarding neutral characters, you choose the opposed alignment to your. So if you're, say, Neutral Good, you have to choose Evil.
    Emphasis mine. In case you've forgotten, this class is designed to work in the dark against the dark. Not against the light. It's one thing for someone to disagree with the methods of a different organization (in this case members of the dim star disagreeing with those still in the light). However, it's entirely a different thing for you to have a supernatural feature that allows you to better fight against those that are in the light (smite good). That simply doesn't make any sense. Evil characters in the order can only stay in the order if they are fighting against the dark, not against the light. As it stands now, if someone that was evil became a knight of the dim star, they could actually consistently use their smiting ability against good people doing good things, just because the knight is evil. And that, in my opinion, seems to be directly contradictory to the fluff of the class. If you think I'm off on this, here's a re-quote of the fluff at the beginning of the class, emphasis added is mine.

I don't particularly mind if evil characters are fighting evil characters to punish evil deeds. But in a class that is designed to fight darkness and evil...well, it doesn't make sense to me for them to be better at fighting good people.

I'm thinking about giving innate Darkvision similar to what Devils get - in that it can see through Supernatural Darkness. Any other suggestions would be welcome
    Innate darkvision would definitely work.

And here we run into misunderstanding of the class fluff. See, the thing about the method you've proposed requires that the Knight actually be aware of two things. First, even the possibility of redemption for them after what the Knight has done. Second, and much more importantly, an awareness of the Mask as a separate entity that the Knight can separate herself from. Until a Knight uses the Sanction enough times to remove the vast majority of their Mask from their mind, they aren't. To a rather large degree, the Mask is effectively a split personality from the Knight, formed initially out of the pain that had been inflicted upon them. It's a case of being unaware of even the possibility of the choice you've outlined.
    It could be possible that the person cannot even remember what it was like back when they were in the light. But for the person to not even be able to recognize the option of redemption for themselves and (in my opinion) their quarry until the mask is (almost) gone almost makes it seem like anything and everything the knight may have done that could (under any circumstances) be considered evil would be not their fault but the fault of the mask. That's a moral framework that I disagree with (choices and actions made not being attributed to the person doing them). Ultimately it's mostly a fluff thing (since you have to be level 20 to do this in the first place), but even at the thematic level and not the mechanic level if there is something I disagree with I'm not going to say "Hey, looks ok there!", if you see what I mean.

In all honesty, I'm probably not going to be things. I don't have the right words on hand to explain why, but I know I've got them somewhere - and I'll get back to you.

Hopefully that answers everything.

Oh, and I really need to update Avatars of Light for the new Illumination Components.
    I'm not entirely sure what you're saying there at the top, but I figure you'll get back around to answer it.

Overall I think the class is interesting and fills a particular niche, which of course is what prestige classes are there for. There's just a few things I disagree with about it is all.

30. - Top - End - #600

I've got a quick question about mythic illuminations: can complex formula be mythic?