Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Silver Hellstar (IC)

"My Lord, you are making a mistake. These six-"

"These six are our best chance of finding him, Sir Ridderick, and that is my decision! I am your lord and you will obey me!"

The six of you have been called from the surrounding area by the special request of Lord Gallow. His lordship has summoned you to his residence in Greengrass, for reasons he has not yet disclosed. After being ushered into the parlor by his manservant, a man in full plate stormed out of Lord Gallow's study, obviously rather upset. He glared at each of you in turn, and without a word, exited the manor. The warrior was followed by a man each of you knew, though most of you had not met him in person. Lord Gallow was a fairly average man, though his dress was the height of fashion in Crossroads, as befits a nobleman, and the Lord was noticably growing around the waist. On this particular occasion, Gallow's face was rather pale, and his eyes baggy, betraying something weighing heavily on his mind. He grinned mirthlessly upon noting your arrival.

"Good. You're all finally here. Please, come in. We have much to discuss. Please excuse Sir Ridderick. He isn't pleased with the idea of involving civilians in official business. I can't say that I am either, but considering the circumstances, we have little choice."

Lord Gallow lead you into his study, a relatively small room lined with books on three walls. In the middle, a large oaken desk sat, surrounded by six chairs. A small orb floated over the desk, bathing the room in magical light. Lord Gallow sat behind the desk, and motioned for you to sit as well.

"Before we begin, I need to make sure you all understand that this is a matter of utmost importance. It is a very sensative situation, and it would not do for what I am about to tell you to reach the ear of the general populace. I count on your discretion and your silence. Do I have your confidences?"
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: The Silver Hellstar (IC)

Stivan

"Of course your Lordship, you can count on me."
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Jaienne looked around at the others, resolutely ignoring the fact that it felt very strange to be somewhere without Gyr at her side. Instead, she gave Lord Gallow an obeisance that fell somewhere between a bow and a curtsey and inclined her head.

"Of course my lord," she said. "You can count on my discretion."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Walking into the study Karland notices the sizeable book collection, nods at Lord Gallow, and sits down at the desk.

"Off course Lord Gallow, wouldn't dare say a word of this to anyone outside this room. Unless I'd be tortured by a someone seeking any particular information about this, can't make any promises then.." Realising to late that this remark is a bit inappropriate Karland ammends, "Civilians have been involved in official matters throughout history, usually with great results." at this point Karland will mention some obscure piece of history involving civilians in an important role...

Spoiler
    Show
    spot check to see if Lord Gallow has any interesting books in his sizeable collection

(1d20+3)[5]

Last edited by Cymru am byth; 2012-10-21 at 05:12 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Talib nodded gravely. "I give you my word that I will speak of this matter with none outside of this room.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Alauniira'a laughed quietly at Lord Gallow's question. To a Drow, even a poor one, keeping secrets came pretty naturally. "As if I'd have any inclination to give someone else knowledge. Your secret is safe."

I'd swear, but I don't think they would appreciate who I would swear *on*...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Stivan

Stivan thinks to himself, no one mention that there is a drow in the room...

Spoiler
    Show
    All non-drow within 30' of Stivan gain +1 to spot, listen and initiative checks.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Map of Area

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Lord Gallow sighed, obviously slightly relieved. "Very well. Each of you are doubtless familiar with Sir Gemry, my captain, in one way or another. A few months ago, he began to act strangely. I fear my captain may have descended into madness. He left my service, disappearing in the night, and has since taken control of a large bandit group which has begun to raid my roads. I would send the rest of my knights after him, but the braggarts hide in Dovetail Forest, outside my reach." Lord Gallow stood, and began to pace behind his desk. "What's more, he seems to have fallen in with Lord Wheatland. A few days ago, the farm of one Elijah Merryweather was burnt to the ground. His wife and children were found inside the barn, dead. Elijah's body was nowhere to be seen, but my men did find jugs of oil marked with Wheatland's seal. My cousin has always coveted this land, and I think he is determined to scare off my men and I. Sadly, Dovetail Forest is outside my jurisdiction, and if I send my knights in, it would be tantamount to a declaration of war."
    No news is good news.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"I still owe you - and your knights - for saving me from... well, I suppose they're my neighbours now.

How depressing.

Anyway, I owe you, so I'll go. Did you want him brought back in chains, or do you just want him taken out?
    "

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

"I see. And as we are non-state actors and ostensibly independent, any actions we take will not reflect upon you. By the same token, should things go sour, you would disavow all knowledge of-or involvement in-these activities, something you could not claim if you were to use your own men."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

So Sir Gremry has turned bandit and you cannot send your knights as the forest isn't your territory. Civilians hunting bandits for bounty are deniable enough and we can let you know if we find anything proving Lord Wheatlands complicity. O.K. I am in, a bandit gang should be easy enough for me to track, unless they are skilled woodsmen.
    Last edited by only1doug; 2012-10-21 at 12:10 PM.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Map of Area

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Hmm, remarkable drow species, she hasn't made one remark yet about the superiority of her race, or her half of the race yet.. And none of us has been robbed, stabbed or heart broken yet...

Karland pulls out a small notebook as Lord Gallow is talking and starts scribbling in it, muttering under his breath in dwarfish.

When everyone stops talking; "So, yeah, we're bounty hunters... How about the bounty? Are you compensating us for our costs? Maybe a bit of extra compensation for another expedition?" He smiles, rather poorly; "I could be called quite patriotic, but I do have someone to care for...."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

It had taken Clover no time at all to arrive at the lords manor, he was accustomed to entering houses and estates much nicer than his usual, and so the grandeur of it failed to impress on him. Or at least he hoped so, with his deep purple hood up over his head, he walked along with the rest, hanging out in the back, just in case Sir Gemry would appear.

He sat and listened to Lord Gallow speak, he had always thought it amusing that is name was so similar to the Gallows that hung so many bandits.

Listening he just kept quiet, letting the others talk, if what he heard was true, they would be his companions, and it would be good to learn from them when he can. Rather than when they are actively chasing him down after he says the wrong thing...

When the Lord asked them to hunt down the now Rogue Sir Gemry, Clover smiled, to those who could see it, it was a vicious and almost terrifying smile, his face half turning into a fearsome shadowy skull, but only for a second before flickering back to his normal face.

"Mein Herr, ich wrde gerne jagen geehrte Gemry fr Sie, er hat mein Leben .... schwierig fr mich, da ich angekommen bin."

Knowing that they may not speak his mother tongue, Ghoranten, he added: "I Vill Helpp, it is the least I kan do."

Spoiler
    Show

I am only using Google translate, so if you speak German and this is offensive to the eyes/ears, I am sorry.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2012-10-21 at 07:31 PM.
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnyja mundu n grsir, ef eir vissi, hvat inn gamli yldi
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ideally, Gemry would be brought back here alive, so that a confession can be extracted from him. If we can prove Lord Wheatland's involvement in this to the Stonelords, then he may be disposed, and our two Provinces might be united as they were in times past. If he cannot be persuaded...my citizens must be kept safe. Do what you must.

If Lord Wheatland discovers your presence, it would be in your best interests to disavow any connection to me. We are not on good terms. If somehow you are taken into custody, I would do what I can to free you. Unfortunately, that would not be much.

As to payment...yes. You will recieve compensation for your troubles. Is the sum of 500 Gold Sovreigns each acceptable?"
    No news is good news.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Karland shrugs, "Heh, wouldn't know why Lord Wheatland would take 6 civilians into custody..."

He makes a few more notes in his notebook, and then extends a hand to Alauniira'a "We haven't been introduced yet, my name is Karland. Don't often get to meet people of your persuasion on the surface..."

Spoiler
    Show
    The German is quite acceptable, the grammar is a bit of. Don't fret,I am not a Jerry, just have been living close to the German border for the last 8 years...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Stivan

500 sovereigns? Thats acceptable for me your lordship, I'll bring Gremly back, if it is possible to do so.

Do you have any reliable information about the number of bandits in the gang?
    Last edited by only1doug; 2012-10-22 at 12:54 AM.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Map of Area

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Depending on whether the 'bandit' force are actual bandits or simply unshaven guardsmen in dirty tunics, I'd guess 'For the slave markets' or 'so they can interrogate us to see if anyone else has penetrated their cover'. Since you asked."

Alauniira'a shrugs faintly. Even the surface elves kept slaves, and the Drow were far worse about it than their 'good' relatives. Although, as Alauniira'a would happily point out, the goodness of her good relatives was, itself, only relative.

"Alauniira'a."

Switching into undercommon, she adds the following comment as she takes Karland's hand, "I wish I could say that I was pleased to have met you, but experience suggests I will regret it in short order if I do..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Alauniira'a knows a goood few languages - Common, Elven, Undercommon, Draconic, Gnome, Goblin, and the Drow Sign Language. I suppose I could pick 6 RL languages and go through google translate for them, but I suspect you'd appreciate me just using English.

When we've been together a little longer, Alauniira'a will probably either teach the rest of you undercommon or the Drow Sign Language or switch to speaking her mind in Common. But you're all still strangers for now, hence the hiding of the snark.
    Last edited by whoiam; 2012-10-22 at 11:17 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Karland promptly answers in undercommon "Well, I can certainly say I am pleased to have met you."

Karland then continues in common again "But let's keep things simple and fair for the rest of the folk, wouldn't want them to think we had secrets..." He raises a conspiratorial eyebrow at Alauniira'a and then addresses the rest of the people in the room; "Well, I don't feel like becoming a slave, but count me in anyway, I will need to get some supplies before we go, and say father goodbye. But by all means let's go catch us some bandits..."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Drow Sign Language: "Spoilsport."

Common: "Why not? *I* have secrets, and the fact I have secrets isn't one of them. I bet everyone else in the room has at least one of their own...

Agreed, I don't especially fancy the likely outcomes of being captured. Then again, I have no real intention of being captured. So that ought to work out nicely...
    "

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Talib nodded as his earlier assertion was proven correct. "The amount is acceptable to me, as well. I am in."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Clover watches from behind as the Dwarf and the Drow bicker in and out of his language.

How rude he thought, they knew, and were most likely doing it on purpose that the others could not understand them...so they had things ti hide, good, they were real people, not perfect paragons of their kind. He hated perfect paragons....Sir Gemry for instance...but not anymore, how intriguing, he would have to ask the man on how his allegiance had changed so quickly...

Hearing everyone chime in their acceptance of the payment, he nodded his assent to the terms, "Zee payment iz good. You have my Bow and Zteed, I know dis area a little, it vill not be hard to find, although, it iz guarded by Geister und Feen, if ze rumars are true." He looks to the two arguing in the other language, they seemed knowledgeable enough, or at least seemed to be.

Looking back to the Lord "Mein Herr, Ven do ve leave?"

Spoiler
    Show

Ghosts and Faeries
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2012-10-22 at 07:57 PM.
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by only1doug View Post
    Stivan

500 sovereigns? Thats acceptable for me your lordship, I'll bring Gremly back, if it is possible to do so.

Do you have any reliable information about the number of bandits in the gang?

"Nothing reliable. Reports range from ten to fourty men. They wear masks to obscure their faces, simple green cloth, so we couldn't identify them if we saw them."

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Clover watches from behind as the Dwarf and the Drow bicker in and out of his language.

How rude he thought, they knew, and were most likely doing it on purpose that the others could not understand them...so they had things ti hide, good, they were real people, not perfect paragons of their kind. He hated perfect paragons....Sir Gemry for instance...but not anymore, how intriguing, he would have to ask the man on how his allegiance had changed so quickly...

Hearing everyone chime in their acceptance of the payment, he nodded his assent to the terms, "Zee payment iz good. You have my Bow and Zteed, I know dis area a little, it vill not be hard to find, although, it iz guarded by Geister und Feen, if ze rumars are true." He looks to the two arguing in the other language, they seemed knowledgeable enough, or at least seemed to be.

Looking back to the Lord "Mein Herr, Ven do ve leave?"

Spoiler
    Show

Ghosts and Faeries

Lord Gallow turned towards the strange man, and his eyes glimmered with something akin to hope. "As soon as you can."
    No news is good news.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Stivan

"I am ready to set off now, we can discuss our various strengths and group tactics when we are on the road."
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Map of Area

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

"I don't know about anybody else, but I'm certainly not ready." Talib said, frowning. "If I'm going to be traipsing about the wilderness, I'll have to pick up some supplies."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Yup, me too.. So, where do we get together? I say in about 1 hour time? Right outside this manor? Or shall we say the edge of town?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

"I think ze edge of town would ze better. Less time wasted." he looks to the others "I am ready now, but vill wait for you on the edge of town."

With that he leaves, not waiting for permission or the social que to do so.
    Spoiler
    Show

Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Stivan

"With your leave my Lord?"

Stivan bows, then follows the man with the odd accent.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Map of Area

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Karland bows to the Lord, "Well Lord, we shall see you once we get back from Dovetail Forrest".

With this he turns to the drow, mimics the sign language she did earlier, and ads in undercommon "And I will see you in an hour mylady".

After this Karland leaves the mansion, goes home to pick up his travelling bag, and goes to buy rations..

Spoiler
    Show
    Can we just assume normal PHB prices for rations, or do you want us to rp it out?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Sighing at the impetuousness of certain individuals, Talib gave a low bow. "Ma'a salama, Lord Gallow." Taking his leave, Talib knew he had to do three things. One was to grab his equipment, while the second was to purchase some supplies. Finally, He felt he should bind a vestige. While Talib hoped he could come to trust his new companions, not knowing their religions added to the presence of a dwarf meant that he would play his cards close to the vest for now.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Stivan

Arriving at the edge of town Stivan sits next to the hooded man
    Spoiler
    Show
    Renton 'Clover'

"Hello, I'm Stivan."

"The Glory of Dragons empowers my abilities, I can make you faster and more observent, better at social interactions, speed the healing of wounds or cause enemies to take damage for striking you."

"might I enquire your name and abilities?"
    Last edited by only1doug; 2012-10-25 at 10:02 AM.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Map of Area