A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default A Mad World IC (D&D 3.5 Eberron)

North of the Eldeen Reaches, life gradually seeps out of the earth. Lush forests fade to a broad tableland of dried soil and cracked rock. Further north, elevation rises into the bleak chain of mountains known as the Shadowcrags, then drops dramatically. The land beyond, a highland plateau, is broken into badlands, a network of canyons and mesas that forms a natural labyrinth leading out to a plain of blackened sand and volcanic glass. This is the Demon Wastes...
    Spoiler
    Show

The capital city of the Demon wastes, Ashtakala, is no pleasant sight, nor do you feel any sense of satisfaction from surviving the long march to get here. But as the gates open to the splendor beyond its walls, you can't help but feel relieved to have even found the secretive city and away from all the swirling dust.

Spoiler
    Show

As you cross the city line, your outfits are transformed into an ancient and elaborate fashion that resembles the ornate themes of the city's design. Even your weapons and equipment have been transformed to enhance its beauty and decor. But you have little time to appreciate the magical wonder that has transpired. In spite of the beauty of Astakala, it is still crawling with vile creatures, which you are reminded of as a fiend glides past you, granting you a... hungry stare. You shrug the trepidation caused be being in a city populated entirerly by demons and fiends and make your way to the town center, where the most recently ascended raja, Nashtala Kashar.

Terrifying monstrosities glide overhead, circling the rajas palace as if it were guarding a nests, and horrid beasts stand snarling at the main entrance, ready to rip to shreds any who are not permitted entry.

Spoiler
    Show

As you approach the gate, a rakshasa approaches you with a superior sneer and checks your papers. Then calls off his creatures and the door opens. You are met with a luxurious sight.

Spoiler
    Show

The main hall is massive, with what is possibly the largest gathering of all the races of Eberron ever seen in the Demon Wastes. Warforged warriors stoically jam themselves awkwardly into corners next to grumbling dwarves and bickering halflings. Elves fastidiously fidget with their slender weapons, eyeing everyone who bumps into them with suspicion and distaste... especially the halflings who seem to appreciate the cramped quarters and sometimes use the opportunity to lighten a pocket or two. Somewhat an oddity in these times are a few gnomes who have also come to this meeting, and formed a small camp close to the front of the central dais where the raja luxuriates. On the upper levels, more rakshasa and mighty demons watch the summit with a stern, but interested glare.

The crowd is teeming with noise and music, and for the moment he seems content to allow the chaos to continue. The rich smell of incense fills the room with an intoxicating aroma and exotic races dance and writhe to the rhythm of the sultry music on suspended platforms. The raja sips from an ornate goblet and watches the chaos with some degree of amusement...
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-10-24 at 04:19 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: A Mad World IC (D&D 3.5 Eberron)

Sarisha walked in to the room a firm hand on Iggy's collar, a crowd like this would irritate him for sure and she didn't need him causing a fight or getting killed. Iggy released the occasional low growl reminding a halfling to move out of his way while the pair made their way to a better spot to see from. Upon finding that spot Iggy sat down and continued eyeing all those who would come near while Sarisha raised up onto her tip toes surveying the crowd. She keeps an eye open for anyone who may try to help themselves to her gear and also looks around for notable faces, curious if any famed adventurers had made this trek. Sarisha also can't help but notice the pure decadence of the room, and the kingdom for that matter. How amazing it was they they lived with magic all this time. "No wonder they have never been bested in war." she thought to herself "With demons as allies few would stand a chance against you."

Spoiler
    Show

Spot check for keeping an eye on those pesky halfling and other such pick pockets (1d20+6)[13]
    General Int check to see if I recognize anyone there by reputation (1d20+3)[6]
    Sigh not rolls I was hoping for.
    Last edited by missmvicious; 2012-10-25 at 03:49 AM.
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

Lydia Deshayes, Socially Awkward Necromancer with a Broken Heart
    Wanderlust, a free spirited, hammer weilding barbarian.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

William had set off for his journey burning with desire and curiosity. The first several days travel had been exhilarating, truly on his own William couldn't help but admire his liberty. At the few towns he came across he managed to find various women, drinks and secrets to occupy his time. After hopping on Cameron with angry husband right behind, he admired the change in the landscape at first. He joined a large contingent heading toward Ashtakala. The multitude of people and races was a first William but soon he grew bored of the people, though this did not match his boredom with the land itself. The endless rocks, craig, and sand made him grow restless. Finally one morning, as once again he brushed sand out of his hair, Sims said, I see Ashtakala in the distance.

I'll never try haggling with a fiend again. Thought will as the small monster took a reluctant Cameron away for stabling. As he passed the city proper, William gasped as he was transformed. He quickly stepped out amused as the transformation came undone. After several steps and finally settling on an outfit, a dark green with black trim robe, he proceeded toward the palace. The crowded room was overwhelming, but soon seemed insignificant as the Raja simply commanded attention. Noting the beautiful women and the opulence, The Raja knows how to live.. He settles in the back watching the crowd carefully to ensure no small hands, claws, or paws managed to nab his belongings.

Spoiler
    Show

Rolls, rolls, rolls!
    (1d20+5)[18] Spot for thieves and interesting sights
    (1d20+5)[20] Sense Motive for the general feel of the room
    (1d20+9)[13] Concentration to becoming psionically focused, DC 20
    (1d20+4)[13] Knowledge History for information about the Raja
    Character Sheets

The week of June 17, my time to post will be reduced. Expect for posting to return to full capacity by June 24.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Noticing an odd looking catlike woman scaring a halfling with her pet, Cron breaks into what could resemble a smile.
    "What a cute little doggy. Odd for a cat to have a dog for a pet, eh?"
    With that he nudges an elf on the shoulder, so he almost topples.

Having made sure that his horse was safely guarded along with his bags, Cron had waddled in, openmouthed, like a hippo through a river of crocodiles, completely oblivious to his surroundings.
    Now he stands in the enormous hall, looming a good ways over most creatures inside, even the warforged, sated by the many new images and experiences, but still eager to see what's coming next.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle - Gnome Paladin
    Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Lanakhad stopped for a short while as he saw the walls of Ashtakala Good, the journey is almost over. ... At least this part... he thinks as he slowly looks around.
    He resumed the travel and slowly got closer to the gates. When he crossed it and his clothes changed he spared them a brief look ... I was going to change into similar robes anyway. ... and shrugs.
    He walked the streets of Ashtakala with his usual, focused, emotionless expression... the conversations with fiends didn't interest him right then, meeting the raja did, on the other hand. He left the horse in the stables and went to the place he was summoned to.
    As he steps in, he takes a moment to look around and... absorb the atmosphere. All these people, with hope for a brighter future, need for adrenaline or simple greed. In a way it was a beautiful sight, both for eyes and for an open mind.

He walked in and found a suitable place, allowing him to see and hear everything, but in the same time he tries to avoid attention of others.

Spoiler
    Show

If we are rolling, we can roll...
    Spot: (1d20-2)[16] ... Lanakhad is too focused on the events to notice small things around him.
    Knowledge [Local] (to see if there is anyone famous there) (1d20+5)[8]

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The stern faced Warforged had not paused to wait for any during his travel to the Demon Waster, and it was meer chance he ran intot he group he now traveled with on this last day. He'd made no comment to any of them and did not adjust his pace for their benefit. When asked anything he would simply stare at the questioner until they moved away. Truth be told he had considered nto coming, but knew that other Warforged would be here, perhaps he'd run into his old squad even.

As they crossed into the city his adamantine hide altered, giving him some pause. Unlike the fleshies, his armor was like his skin, and he could actually feel the change happening to him, rather than just noticing that his equipment was different. The adamantine that covered his body grew menacing spikes and has fiendish designs now thoughout it. His sword had a slight curve to it with a serrated cutting blade. His mithral shield had changed to gain an image of a balor gloating over several humanoids. His face had even changed to resemble a snarling fiend. He nodded, and after examining all the changes made to him he continued on.

As he entered he immedietly noticed the other warforged, but the changes this city made to them made it impossible to tell if any were from his squad. He none the less made hsiw ay over to a group of them, taking up a spot and almost knocking a halfling over simply by not noticing him.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Thor was truly enjoying his journey thus far. Sure, the desert had been hot and filled with sand but there hadn't been anyone to interrupt his studies for ages. Upon seeing the city gates he was almost frustrated to be forced back into social interaction until he remembered why he had set out on his journey in the first place. The magic that altered his clothes had astounded him, and a hundred questions ran through his head as he examined the new design. Is it a characteristic of the city or was it a spell cast? Do they have mages renewing the spell or is it a permanent effect? Is it illusory or did it actually alter my clothes? he thought to himself as he absentmindedly moved towards the middle of the city.

Seeing the palace shut out thoughts of the new clothes. I suppose my appearance is trivial as long as I get to go to Zilargo. He moved inside, checking his mule at the stable. I know exactly what is in its pack, so don't get any ideas, fool he says to the malevolent-looking stable hand on his way inside. He's impressed by the crowd of idiots that managed to stumble their way through the desert and somehow find their way here, and takes a position leaning against a pillar near the Raja, fiddling with his clothes as he tries not to be distracted.

Spoiler
    Show
    Messed up using the forum dice roller, here's what I rolled with an online dice roller. Won't happen again.

Will save to detect illusion: 13+6= 19
    Spellcraft check to detect spell: 12+12= 24
    Sir Siegfried Andere, Final Line of the Tharquish Empire, Knight-Errant

I post in this color which is Navy. Why did the chicken cross the road? Answer: chickens have no concept of roads. Discuss.

Hail to the king, baby.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The Raja signals to a large eunuch with a mallet, who sounds a gong that calls the music to a halt. As the din of the crowd wanes to a murmur, the Raja rises to a stand.

"Not since the Age of Dragons have the gates of Ashtakala been opened for outsiders." He pauses as many demons ruffle at the mention of the era of their downfall on Eberron, but he leers at the crowd. "You are summoned here, because not since that age has a unified front been more important. You are here because you are strong--because you are fearless--because you are resourceful. If not, you would never have made it to my city gates alive. Because of this, you are uniquely worthy of what I have to offer."

He waves a hand and two servants bring in a chest. Once open, precious jewels and gems are revealed inside.

"Double ransom for relics found within Zilargo's territories. Magic weapons, artifacts, even pieces of the Tower... bookes, holy symbols. Anything you can find, return to me, and receive my generous ransom. The magics found within my city walls can breath new power into their dead artifacts. With our armies now powered by magic and magitech weaponry, we can defeat the defilers who would usurp our kindgoms!"

He raises his arms triumphantly as many of the adventurers cheer excitedly, whether as patriots or greedy opportunists isn't necessarily clear. But either way, as the cheering dies out, the raja lowers his hands and smiles in a way that looks both happy and... hungry.

"Tonight, celebrate what you have accomplished and what you will soon accomplish. The items you scavenge from those ruins will by your the kingdoms you deserve, and power the machines of war that will keep that kingdom free!" The music picks back up and the dancers continue to move in their seductive rhythms.

Food is brought out, and exotic wine for the crowd to ignore. Many clamor for the feast, but some hang back; a few others leave altogether, perhaps to get an early night, or to explore the rarely seen city.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Thor couldn't be less interested in socializing with civilized creatures, much less the herd of ravenous dullards gathered before him. Thinking this a good opportunity to update his travel log, he pulls it out of his backpack along with a vial of ink and an ink pen. He writes down all that the raja said as well as his experience in the city thus far, detailing what he learned about the magic on his clothes and speculating further on how it worked. After getting roughly jostled one too many times (once) by rowdy halflings he decided to complete his entry outside with Boccob and put his things away to retrieve his mule, moving towards the exit.

Upon retrieving his mule outside he shoots the stable hand another glare and begins rummaging through the pack to make sure that nothing is missing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Search check to make sure all my possessions are still in my pack: (1d20)[11]

I post in this color which is Navy. Why did the chicken cross the road? Answer: chickens have no concept of roads. Discuss.

Hail to the king, baby.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Lanakhad wasn't that impressed with the speech of raja. He expected a planned expedition, an organized effort to gain knowledge and regain power... instead he found himself in a group of glorified scavengers.
    ...That's a bit of disappointment...
    Although there was a chance that not everything was lost just yet, while looking around the place he noticed a few individuals which were a bit out of place there... ...A priest in the den of thieves... interesting...
    Lanakhad learned in his life that trying to accomplish anything on his own is not always such a good idea ... and who was better to approach here, than the only one who looked trustworthy.

He approached the priest and speaks in a quiet voice,
    " Greetings, I am Lanakhad. One of many, who seek to restore the magic of these lands. Can you tell me what brings a man like you to this place?"

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

After staring at the Raja and his women for a good while after he finished speaking, Cron notices the food table.
    "Oh. Oh, this is turning out to be a good day. Treasure: good. Riches: good. Food: gooood."
    Cron mashes his way through the crowd, muttering excuses between his teeth, before reaching the table, and picking up an exotic looking fruit.
    "What's this? Vegetables? Pff. Where's the meat? Oh, here!"
    While stuffing his face, Cron starts up a conversation with the nearest person.
    "Mmh, great schtuff they got 'ere, righ'? 'Aven't scheen a finer meal thiff ffide o' the deffert!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle - Gnome Paladin
    Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

12. - Top - End - #12

Though Sarisha would have been quite happy to leave and get a night closer to Zilargo then the rest of the crowd Iggy's powerful strides towards dinner were a little to much for her to resist. She put up very little fight when the hound made his way towards a pile of red meats. The hunting in the desert had been as poor as she had expected and trail rations weren't Iggy's favourite thing. Simply reaching over some of the shorter adventures she snagged a juicy red snack for Iggy before helping herself.
    Quite pleased at his treat Iggy's powerful tail wagged happily, much to the dismay of anyone standing near by. He also growled at anyone that got to close to him, assuming they were there for his dinner.
    Sarisha kept a casual expression across her face, though her ears twitched constantly picking out pieces of conversation here and there. She hadn't been to Zilargo personally and that could cause issue for her. She listened to the crowd trying to hear what the others were planning, assuming they were even thinking at the task at hand. She also kept scanning the room, seeing who was leaving and trying to size up the competition.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen check (1d20+8)[17]
    Spot (1d20+6)[21]
    Sense Motive (to figure out how tough people are) (1d20+1)[14]

Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lexin View Post
    He approached the priest and speaks in a quiet voice,
    " Greetings, I am Lanakhad. One of many, who seek to restore the magic of these lands. Can you tell me what brings a man like you to this place?"
    Thor looks up from his mule's pack quickly, eyeing this newcomer suspiciously before deciding him harmless enough and returning to his pack. "Thirst for knowledge" he says before rolling his eyes and snorting derisively. "As if there was any to be found in that rabble. I imagine the majority of those louts and layabouts couldn't even spell the word 'magic'." He looks up at Lanakhad again with an appraising glare. "Which leads me to wonder about you. I suppose if you've got the wits about you to seek me out then you must have at least a smidgeon of cognizance. What do you want from me, stranger?"
    Last edited by TheEggKing; 2012-10-26 at 06:44 PM.

Hail to the king, baby.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

William had halfheartedly to the Raja's platitudes but soon the imposing figure garnered his full attention. William couldn't surpress the lustful glare at the chest, nor the chance to explore Zilargo. Though he frowned a bit as the Raja finished his speech with tales of a unified front against the invading armies. I somehow doubt his intentions are so pure, otherwise he wouldn't be so generous would he.

"Can I come out, it's boring in here and I want to see the raja. asked Sims

William thought for a moment as he watched some halfings bounce around the room, " Best stay hidden Sims, don't want someone making off with you and trying to peddle you to some fiend." A grumble was his only response. Once the food and drink came out William couldn't help but salivate a bit. He quickly moved through the crowd and approached the table. He slowed when he saw the large Orc destroying a good portion of meat and the equally large dog with his cat owner. Alright...let's see one has fangs, the other is gigantic and both smell like they could use a bath...I really want a bit of everything.

William manages to snag a plate and makes for the dog first. Figuring the large dog was still a dog, William approaches slowly with his palm out and flat. In a calming and sooth voice, "Good boy...that meat is much tastier than my hand. I just want to try a piece. You make it seem so tasty." To the cat woman he quickly queries, "Excuse me, does the dog bite? I want a bit of that meat, but would prefer to have my hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charisma check for not getting my hand mauled off (1d20+3)[6]
    Last edited by Jungian; 2012-10-26 at 06:52 PM.
    Character Sheets

The week of June 17, my time to post will be reduced. Expect for posting to return to full capacity by June 24.

15. - Top - End - #15

Sarisha almost laughs at the human's question, she ends up with a toothy grin instead. "Yes he does bite, but usually only when I want him to." she nudges Iggy with her toe, "Scoot your butt Iggy." The dog gives her a dirty look before lumbering to a stand and move a foot or so out of the way before returning to lunch.

"Where are you from?" Sarisha asks the human nonchalantly.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Helping himself to a bit of everything William says, "No where as interesting as this place. My birthplace was horribly mundane, but peaceful." He adds a bit more meat to Iggy's dinner, "Rather not have Iggy associate me with getting scolded." He gives the cat women a quick glance before saying, "Somehow I doubt anyone associates you with mundane. The name is William Atwood, and you are?" before giving her a chance to answer in a lower tone he adds, "What do you think about the Raja's claim...I find it hard to believe that they will be used to unify the remnants of kingdoms, as much as expand his own. A loaded question but a more interesting line of discussion I think."
    Character Sheets

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Like the other warforged, the arrival of food did not interest Adavarik. He turned to the other warforged and began asking them what squad they had belonged to. He did this for a time but none were in his squad, or had no knowledge of any other members of the squad he asked about. He felt a twinge of frustration and moved back over to one of the pillars to think. He almost walked right into a halfling, and paused to look down at the short fleshy. They were about to complain until they had to look so far up then almost stumbled back, especially thanks to the magic of the city made it hard to tell that Adavarik was not some fiendish warrior. The halfling hurried away as the waarforged leaned against a pillar and looked about, planning out what he'd do now.

18. - Top - End - #18

Iggy looks at William after receiving the extra food but wastes no time before he starts to gnaw at it as well.
    Sarisha is surprised to hear conspiracy theory about the Raja while still inside the palace and raises her eyebrow.
    "Well," she starts barely audible, "I don't think I would be worried bout the rest of the kingdoms, though as it were it looks like they still have magic so why not just go out with an army of fiends to expand their border?"
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Remembering back to his lessons William says, "Oh could be a multitude of things; supplies, logistics of moving troops, purely numerical advantages,the ability to replenish lost troops,, but probably because they would make to easy a common target. The other kingdoms are fighting the bits and pieces of this country while also squabbling between themselves. An army of fiends marching anywhere is an easy foe to rally against. He might be powerful enough to take a kingdom himself, but could he rally the rajas to truly aid him? History is full of examples of why you shouldn't do something. Ironically he probably has lived through all of them. I suppose all those are mortal worries, difficult to imagine the thoughts of an endless and near all powerful being. You know the ant and mountain or human."

Popping a few dark fleshed fruits in his mouths,he chews a moment before reaching for a few more and saying, "These are quite good. I suppose it doesnt matter, I'll take the chance to explore Zilargo from whoever offers for whatever means. It all will be interesting in the end." He takes a moment to compose himself, " Right, forgive the rambling but I once traveled with a very outspoken dwarf. Debates could last for weeks with that one. What about you? What drags you out into the literal gods forsaken land?"
    Last edited by Jungian; 2012-10-26 at 09:50 PM.
    Character Sheets

20. - Top - End - #20

Sarisha who had never seen a war on such a scale as what William had described pondered his reasoning. When he asked her why she had answered the Raja's call she said "Well I suppose the easiest way to sum it up would be curiosity." Sarisha sips her wine and goes on "Magic is a curious thing, it gets swallowed up and now all of a sudden it starts popping up again. And I'd like to know what happened to Zilargo, and more about this place honestly. And jems and power most certainly have their allure. Oh and I'm Sarisha, of the Screaming Arrows."
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

William couldn't help grin at her reasoning, "Yes,Yes! Curiosity is the greatest force to move a mortal. A strange man once said," and doing his best to deliever a poetic prose says
    "Curiosity
    will not cause us to die--
    only lack of it will.
    Never to want to see
    the other side of the hill
    or that improbable country
    where living is an idyll
    (although a probable hell)
    would kill us all.
    Only the curious
    have, if they live, a tale
    worth telling at all."

He takes a breath for a moment as if savoring the verse, he begins to speak with his voice increasing in tempo like the opening of a symphony, "That's it. We should go to Zilargo. Together we will probe the deepest depths, turn over every stone, check every crevice, peer through every window, until our curiosity is satisfied and bloated no matter its gluttonous appetite. I'm capable person, and your skill is not in question Sarisha. We need more though, someone of steely will, a person with a cunning mind, and someone....someone," He pauses for a moment, "Someone....that can split a nasty beasty in two." He peers around the room and almost like an afterthought, "Oh perhaps someone studied in arcane history. I know a bit of general history, of kings that slayed boars, of princes and paupers, of cities and citadels but not of the depths of the arcane." He looks around the remaining, now, competitors, "But who?" turning to Sarisha, "Any ideas?"
    Last edited by Jungian; 2012-10-26 at 10:43 PM.
    Character Sheets

22. - Top - End - #22

"What an odd human." Sarisha thinks as William recites his prose. Her eyes widen in surprise when he suggests working as a team, though he made a valid point about the other elements being helpful. "Um," She looks over the crowd "You say we'd need a fighter, an upfront one I'd assume and someone with knowledge of the arcane." She bites her lip and surveys the room again. "Well there is a rather large orc that might be persuaded to join us, though a war forged might be good since they don't eat or sleep. I don't know how to pick one that might be studied though."
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

"I spotted a rather grumpy man earlier by the stables, he seemed to be heading back towards them. My experience is that grumpy people are those with an unhealthy balance of study and pleasure. Chances have it that a man whom I guess has a cunning mind walked out after him...I'm very familiar with those types. Warforged...yes that would be perfect though I'll admit," and lowering his voice,"They make me a bit uneasy....but they are probably dependable." He peers around spotting a particularly vicious looking warforged almost killing halfling by looking at him, "See that one, over there." He points at the warforged leaning against the wall, " I got a good feeling about him...her?...it...You try that one, then we will head out to catch those other two. I'll try this Orc fellow over here, if fights like he smells then he will be perfect. He quickly calls out, "I'll meet you by the stables!"

He walks over to the largest Orc he ever seen eating away, "Excuse me, yes you. My companion and I our trying to put a team together. We will travel, split our gold, and have a generally merry time going about it. I think you be perfect but well. Your big but how strong are you? Maybe a test." he rubs his chin a minute before snapping his fingers, " I got it, if you can lift me up with one arm and carry me outside the door," He points to entrance, " You would be absolutely perfect, probably the best companion ever. What do you say?"

He quickly rearranges his items as to keep them secure,As long as he doesn't try to rip my head off it's a win win. He strong and I don't have to fight through the crowd. A quiet voice in his mind says, Will I don't know about this..."

"Stop being a gem in the rock Sims. I'm sure it will be fine.
    Last edited by Jungian; 2012-10-26 at 11:30 PM.
    Character Sheets

24. - Top - End - #24

Sarisha nods at William before moving away. Iggy looked at her but not getting the command to follow he stayed put happy with his meal. Sarisha made her way over to the warforged unsure the best way to approach one, keeping an eye on Iggy as well. "Excuse me," She started. "Are you adventuring with anyone?"
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

He fixed his gaze on the fleshy that approached, sizing them up. He spoke in a solid monotone, with slight inflection that hinted at his blunt and aggressive personality. "I am Adavarik the Hardy. I have traveled here alone. Why do you ask?" He was probably one of the largest warforged present in the palace. Certainly the scariest looking. He loomed over Sarisha, tilting his head as if trying to get a better look at what she was. The fleshies all looked alike to him.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by TheEggKing View Post
    Thor looks up from his mule's pack quickly, eyeing this newcomer suspiciously before deciding him harmless enough and returning to his pack. "Thirst for knowledge" he says before rolling his eyes and snorting derisively. "As if there was any to be found in that rabble. I imagine the majority of those louts and layabouts couldn't even spell the word 'magic'." He looks up at Lanakhad again with an appraising glare. "Which leads me to wonder about you. I suppose if you've got the wits about you to seek me out then you must have at least a smidgeon of cognizance. What do you want from me, stranger?"
    "It is quite simple. I am looking for magic, for power... and most of all, for answers. What did they know in Zilargo, what happened so they lost their power, what can we do so it never happens again."
    Lanakhad makes a slight pause and continues.
    "But with all these ... simpler minds... rumbling around the place I thought it might be a better idea to find company. And it seemed ...appropriate... to ask for cooperation one of the very few in this place which consider knowledge more important than simple riches."

"I would appreciate your help in this task... so what is your answer?"

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lexin View Post
    "It is quite simple. I am looking for magic, for power... and most of all, for answers. What did they know in Zilargo, what happened so they lost their power, what can we do so it never happens again."
    Lanakhad makes a slight pause and continues.
    "But with all these ... simpler minds... rumbling around the place I thought it might be a better idea to find company. And it seemed ...appropriate... to ask for cooperation one of the very few in this place which consider knowledge more important than simple riches."

"I would appreciate your help in this task... so what is your answer?"
    "Hmph. You remind me of the fools at the court. You certainly look like one. I imagine you're saying exactly what you think I want to hear." He steps away from his pack to assess Lanakhad more thoroughly as he talks, folding his arms behind his back and giving the adventurer one of his most penetrating glares. "I would wager, though, that you're not the dimmest candle on the candelabra, are you? You seem to know me well enough, that's for certain. Why should I join you, hm? What talent do you possess that would make the journey easier, the burdens less troublesome, the beasts less savage? I would also ask how you know so much of me. Does my reputation truly precede me so, even in such harsh climes as the Demon Wastes?"

Hail to the king, baby.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Saying what he wants to hear... yes more or less... Ehh, it doesn't make it less true on the other hand...

"I am not from around, so I don't know much about local people. ... I am, though, considered a great judge of personality and behavior. It was easy to find out, what you are aiming for. At first sight you look like a scholar, both because of how you act yourself and how you react for others in this place."
    Lanakhad points into the direction of the hall, where they met raja.
    "When we were there, you were one of the few that didn't cheer in pure, thoughtless happiness when raja mentioned gold and fame. And, there aren't that many reasons to come here. That pointed strongly in the direction of knowledge seeker."
    He shrugs at the question how would he be able to help.
    "I know quite a lot about artifacts of old. I do have ways to defending myself and I am prepared for a long and difficult travel. I would still look for some muscle around... if not for any other reason, then just to keep other muscle-heads away, so I ... or we, could focus on more interesting matters..."

[Telepathy]
    Lanakhad: Humans are so difficult to talk to... I already miss the simplicity of telepathic transfer...
    Ardt: You could always just bind his mind.
    Lanakhad: If it was only that easy... Unfortunately by definition, bound mind doesn't work as well as a free one.
    Ardt: So keep talking, no more ideas here.

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Thor:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stableboy, a foul looking demon with a squat, blubbery body and slack mouth hobbles up to you and holds out his long spindly hand.

You feel a though in your head, "Five silver." The voice is pathetic sounding... whiny and nasally, and you get the impression that the voice is being transmitted from the vile creature, though its mouth doesn't seem to move. He shuffles in between you and your mule adamantly, but from what you could tell everything was in tact.

The filthy creature flops his bulbous head to the right as a short Kalashtar approaches you with a greeting. A bit of drool oozes onto its drooping lips, to get stuck on a long, dark chin hair.

"Money first." The voice insists.

As you continue to banter with Lanakhad, the creature stomps his foot angrily and flaps his bony, outstretched palm at you. "Money, or we keep the mule!"

You recognize the Kalashtar as a member of the Shadow Watchers. He is by no means a legendary warrior, but is at least a promising Psion with a sharp mind. However, Psions are infamously loyal to Sarlona, one of Khorvaire's many enemies at the moment. What would he be doing in the Demon Wastes?

Sarisha:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The most distracting voice you hear is that of a gluttonous orc shamelessly stuffing his face with any meat he can get his hands on.

However, some minor conversations can picked above the din.

The Gnomes, you gather, are probably the most organized... driven as they are to regain the strength of their homeland. Their biggest concern seems to be that they are going into occupied territories.

Other groups express distrust at the Rakshasa and their all-too-generous offer. Some suspect that the Rakshasa won't pay, while others suspect that the Rakshasa will pay, but will hoard the magic items for themselves to rule Khorvaire like they did before the Age of Dragons. But most are just interested in the feast, the women and the drink.

As you survey the room, you aren't surprised to see mostly non-casters. These days, even cantrips can award an adventurer a small amount of local fame, though many of the warriors here are impressive on their own merit. Based on their gear, ease of stance, and sheer intimidation, you can spot the power players from the rookies. Still, you can't help but notice a cleric meander out the door while the rest of the revelers protest his passage.

When William introduces himself, his name echoes with familiarity as a man of hidden psychic power who travelled previously with a band of fairly well renowned adventurers, helping in the resistance a great deal.

William:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The name Sarisha rings a bell. One of the last lone survivors of a doomed Catfolk clan, she was raised by the elves, and was a promising up-and-comer in the world of mundane medicine and wilderness lore.

Lanakhad:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You notice that the ugly creature standing next to the cleric, with his palm outstretched keeps reacting each time Ardt speaks, as if hearing what Ardt is saying.

Lanakhad and Thor:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Here is the creature you see that is waiting to get paid:
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-10-28 at 03:10 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Lanakhad looks at the strange creature.
    ...and what do we have here?...

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge (The Planes) (1d20+14)[30]
    to identify creature (Using Collector of Stories)

[Telepathy]
    [Ardt] "He can hear me! ... or, maybe... It can hear me! After a month of talking only to you, there is someone else who can actually hear me talking. I already like this strange, ugly creature. Oh, a small faux pas, I made here. [Telepathic *cough* *cough*] Hello there, my friend, beautiful weather we have here, not the dusty-windy kind like in the dessert. And all the magic around... Oh, oh, I guess there are many stories you could tell. Please, please don't hold back anything."
    [Lanakhad] "Ardt, I don't think your new friend is in a story telling mood. And all the talking on your part could simply scare him off. ... or provoke him to attack us... Sages know that I was close, so many times, to crushing you... in this month of constant talking."
    [Ardt] "Shut it Lan! I am not talking to you... this time... let him answer!"
    [/Telepathy]
    [Lanakhad] *sight*

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur