Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Produce Spark (P.E.A.C.H.)

I had a player who is interested in playing a Bard who has an affinity for lightning and weather. He wondered whether there were a spell like Produce Flame, but using electricity. I'm feeling like indulging. Much of this is cobbled from Produce Flame directly, but I tweaked it a small bit to deal with the change of energy type. What do you think?

Produce Spark
    Evocation [Electricity]
    Level: Brd 1, Drd 1,
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Effect: Sparks in your palm
    Duration: 1 min./level (D)
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: Yes

Sparks as bright as a torch appear in your open hand. The sparks harm neither you nor your equipment.

In addition to providing illumination, the sparks can be hurled or used to touch enemies. You can strike an opponent with a melee touch attack, dealing electricity damage equal to 1d6 +1 point per caster level (maximum +5). Alternatively, you can hurl the sparks up to 60 feet as a thrown weapon. When doing so, you attack with a ranged touch attack (with no range penalty) and deal the same damage as with the melee attack. No sooner do you hurl the sparks than a new set appears in your hand. Each attack you make reduces the remaining duration by 1 minute. If an attack reduces the remaining duration to 0 minutes or less, the spell ends after the attack resolves.

If your palm is within a liquid (e.g. water), your attack deals damage to all creatures (excluding you) within 10 ft. that are in contact with the liquid.
    Last edited by fencepainter; 2012-10-27 at 06:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Produce Spark (P.E.A.C.H.)

It doesn't really belong on the bard spell list; bards mostly do buffs, debuffs, morale stuff, trickery, and the occasional piece of sonic damage. Electricity resistance is a little less common than fire resistance but at such low levels it's harder to say. 1d5 is a bit odd.

That said, I wouldn't call it unbalanced and if the player really wants it you shouldn't fear for your game.

3. - Top - End - #3

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    It doesn't really belong on the bard spell list; bards mostly do buffs, debuffs, morale stuff, trickery, and the occasional piece of sonic damage. Electricity resistance is a little less common than fire resistance but at such low levels it's harder to say. 1d5 is a bit odd.

That said, I wouldn't call it unbalanced and if the player really wants it you shouldn't fear for your game.
    You've spotted a typo--I'll change the 5 to a 6.

I think he wants to be a Stormsinger (Frostburn).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I like this, but don't think it belongs on the bard spell list.
    Last edited by ShriekingDrake; 2012-11-06 at 10:53 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it kinda fits for a savage bard, but not a regular one.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I get how it doesn't fit in the bard list mechanically, but my head just sees this exchange going on and chuckles:

*Bard scruffs his feet along the carpet*
    "Hey, what are you doing?"
    "Building up static electricity."
    *Zap!*

Plus there's a good chunk of puns to make based on the energy type.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    I get how it doesn't fit in the bard list mechanically, but my head just sees this exchange going on and chuckles:

*Bard scruffs his feet along the carpet*
    "Hey, what are you doing?"
    "Building up static electricity."
    *Zap!*

Plus there's a good chunk of puns to make based on the energy type.
    My, wasn't that... shocking.
    "Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out. Babylon Control out."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Shock resistance my be less common but as it stands I'd almost always prepare this ahead of produce flame. I'd make it 1d4 instead of 1d6.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    Shock resistance my be less common but as it stands I'd almost always prepare this ahead of produce flame. I'd make it 1d4 instead of 1d6.
    To be fair at low levels fire resistance ISN'T that much more common that lightning resistance. And is produce fire that much stronger than a standard longbow anyway? I don't think it needs to be reduced to 1d4+1.

I think the ability works pretty well though, though I would have to agree that most Bard spells aren't particularly electric based. Though I wouldn't say that adding one lightning spell would make that much of a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Or just pass the character a 1/day item of produce sparks... or hell a mini rune staff of produce sparks. Not a ton, but lets them get to play with it without adding random stuff to the bard list. Heck, make the item a magical guitar, oddly flat. Then require a perform check to activate, bonus points for the player doing an air guitar solo.

as to the spell, seems fine. the little added bit shouldn't overpower it... is rather specific.
    Avatar by Szilard, thank you sir for the fine work!

my home brew. you should PEACH them...
    Telekineticist
    Razor
    Shield
    blasterv4
    mindbender

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I'd add a reflex save to the water-conducting bit, but other than that yeah, it seems fine. I wouldn't worry about what people are saying about the spell fitting on the bard list-- I agree that it doesn't belong on a general bard list, but (within the limits of balance) it's much better to tweak a class slightly than make a player jump through hoops to play the character he wants.

STaRS (and STaRS Lite)
    A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system, by me. Now officially released!

Grod's Guide to Greatness
    A big book of player options for 5e, by me

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

12. - Top - End - #12

I'd add a reflex save to the water-conducting bit, but other than that yeah, it seems fine. I wouldn't worry about what people are saying about the spell fitting on the bard list-- I agree that it doesn't belong on a general bard list, but (within the limits of balance) it's much better to tweak a class slightly than make a player jump through hoops to play the character he wants.
    I don't know if the save is necessary. The damage doesn't scale that well and the number of times you find yourself in a liquid where this spell will be decisive are likely to be few. Moreover, I'm not sure I'd do a reflex save. I think either fort or will make more sense. There is nothing to dodge if you're in the water. But maybe you're so tough that the shock doesn't affect you, or you are so mentally tough that you ignore the shock, but I don't think you can dodge it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Agreed on that, should be a fortitude save for anything in the water. This is a nice adaptation of produce flame, and I wouldn't worry about one or two thematically appropriate spells being added to the bard for a specific character concept, but I would be wary about making it specify as a bard spell in the description. Whereas it's fine to allow a player access to a small handful of spells around the theme they wish to play, it's a different matter to create something outside the norm as a general option for anyone of the class.

EDIT:
    For those saying this is better than produce flame because of the liquid proviso, I'd say not really. You get a highly situational utility from the spell, true, but you also only get 60ft ranged attack instead of produce flame's 120ft. I'd say that balanced it out nicely anyhow.
    Last edited by Veklim; 2012-11-09 at 07:06 AM.
    All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by.

My homebrews Moloques! Sagacious Defender of the Forge, The Open Palm, Sacred Scourge, The Bastion
    Co-Developer of the Mutant Powers Project:
    World Warper
    Telekineticist and ACFs, Feats, Shadow Hand PrC

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShriekingDrake View Post
    I don't know if the save is necessary. The damage doesn't scale that well and the number of times you find yourself in a liquid where this spell will be decisive are likely to be few. Moreover, I'm not sure I'd do a reflex save. I think either fort or will make more sense. There is nothing to dodge if you're in the water. But maybe you're so tough that the shock doesn't affect you, or you are so mentally tough that you ignore the shock, but I don't think you can dodge it.
    I was thinking "jump out of the water," but eh.

STaRS (and STaRS Lite)
    A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system, by me. Now officially released!

Grod's Guide to Greatness
    A big book of player options for 5e, by me

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Veklim View Post
    For those saying this is better than produce flame because of the liquid proviso, I'd say not really. You get a highly situational utility from the spell, true, but you also only get 60ft ranged attack instead of produce flame's 120ft. I'd say that balanced it out nicely anyhow.
    I agree with this assessment. Keep the range at 60ft and you're good to keep the area effect.
    Last edited by ShriekingDrake; 2012-11-24 at 12:44 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll just leave what I found here.

But in all seriousness, I don't think the spell is unbalanced at all.

17. - Top - End - #17

@ fencepainter . . . I know you probably haven't looked at this thread in a while, but I wanted you to know that we tried out this spell over the weekend with great success. Both the DM and a player used it. It was great fun, especially that shocking the liquid ability. It turns out it's not a bad way to fish in shallow water.

18. - Top - End - #18

WhiteWizardGirl

Thanks. I'm so glad to hear it. It has become a staple in my group as well.