New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default What do you look for in a convention game?

I'm confident and happy when running games at conventions but I seem to keep on picking to play in rather duff ones somehow.

When you are at a con what kind of games do you gravitate towards? Descriptions? Systems? Individuals?
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What do you look for in a convention game?

Magic the Gathering games. I'm not very comfortable playing other games with strangers. If I go to a convention I'll usually play some Magic pickup games, do a booster draft, check out the merchandise, and then leave.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

New systems are always the biggest factor for me, and systems which I've been wanting to play.

After that, I suppose the "elevator pitch" for the game theme is what would sell me.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

A good start is evaluating the average personal hygiene of the table, followed by the amount of good natured conversation.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Games from systems that I can't play at home, or haven't tried yet and want to try. Also, pre-generated characters. If I have to waste MY valuable convention time whipping up a new character because the GM couldn't be bothered, then I see no reason to play.
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!