New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

As the tital indicates, I'm trying to figure out how to play a womanizer npc(he's a male nymph, so it seems appropriate), without coming across as a pervert.
    he's intended as a foil for the PC who often uses a "I seduce him!" strategy for capturing people.(though, to be fair, she is playing a succubus).
    I could also do with advice for GMing for encounters in which she does seduce men, since it gets a bit awkward for me, and I'm also somewhat nervous about violating the forum rules(It's a pbp here)
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    As the tital indicates, I'm trying to figure out how to play a womanizer npc(he's a male nymph, so it seems appropriate), without coming across as a pervert.
    he's intended as a foil for the PC who often uses a "I seduce him!" strategy for capturing people.(though, to be fair, she is playing a succubus).
    I could also do with advice for GMing for encounters in which she does seduce men, since it gets a bit awkward for me, and I'm also somewhat nervous about violating the forum rules(It's a pbp here)
    Have him be bad at it. Give him a low CHA and no ranks in Sense Motive, and he'll play more like comic relief than skeeze.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Have you ever watched Burn Notice? If so, pay close attention to Sam Axe and take notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I did this once to a pretty good effect. The key is to not flanderize it. Have him be a womanizer, but at the same time that can't be his only defining characteristic. Don't have every conversation with a woman turn into baseless hitting on her. Just have it come up every now and then, and every now and then have him be dismissive of a woman. Or for example, if a female offers up a fairly good idea, even if he doesn't dismiss it entirely have him kind of grudgingly accept it.

tl;dr: Just don't go too crazy with it. That's how I did it. My group loved the character enough to make him the group's memetic badass.
    Last edited by rezplz; 2012-11-01 at 08:17 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Make him a romantic rather than a skeevy perv? He still hits on every woman in sight, but does it with flowery language, impromptu poetry, and spontaneous gifts.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

1. Romantic as Glyphstone said

2. He only goes after girls who seem to like the attention. That's the real difference between a womanizer and a creep. That and attractiveness (i.e. Edward Complex).
    Last edited by HunterOfJello; 2012-11-01 at 08:47 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Have him be bad at it. Give him a low CHA and no ranks in Sense Motive, and he'll play more like comic relief than skeeze.
    Two words: Zapp Brannigan

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Ty all for the help with him, the advice so far will really help with rping him(I'll have him go with being a romantic, since it seems like it will fit better, as glyphstone suggested).
    Also how does making him an uncommon race sound?, currently I was thinking of making him either a male nymph, or a male succubus, or a fairie(homebrewed race, they are 3 foot tall elf like humanoids with moth wings).
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Those are not mutually exclusive. There's comically bad, and there's disturbingly bad, and the line between the two varies fairly strongly from person to person.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Watch How I Met Your Mother, and take notes on what Barney does.

Mechanically speaking, flirting is just a series of Cha vs Cha checks, or Bluff vs Sense Motive checks, depending on what specifically is being done (general flirting vs 'want to go to my place?')

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Zahhak View Post
    Mechanically speaking, flirting is just a series of Cha vs Cha checks, or Bluff vs Sense Motive checks, depending on what specifically is being done (general flirting vs 'want to go to my place?')
    I lean toward Bluff vs. Sense Motive. BoEF specifies that success only means the target is sexually interested, not that s/he is compelled to bang the Bluffer, or do anything else. For social interaction, you could rule that success raises the target's attitude toward you one step, to a maximum of Helpful.

(Why does "Bang The Bluffer" sound like it could be some kind of demented/perverse game?)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    (Why does "Bang The Bluffer" sound like it could be some kind of demented/perverse game?)
    Because it could be, and now that you've mentioned it, it will be.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Ty all for the help with him, the advice so far will really help with rping him(I'll have him go with being a romantic, since it seems like it will fit better, as glyphstone suggested).
    Also how does making him an uncommon race sound?, currently I was thinking of making him either a male nymph, or a male succubus, or a fairie(homebrewed race, they are 3 foot tall elf like humanoids with moth wings).
    Play a human. All those half-whatevers have to come from SOMEWHERE.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I may actually go with a human. It also give me an idea for a possibly humorous plot if the succubus pc ends up seducing him, where she finds out she might end up with only a "half-hellspawn" child.
    Meow(Steam page)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Play a human. All those half-whatevers have to come from SOMEWHERE.
    Dragon could work too. You thought Humans got around? Dragons will literally knock up any living, corporeal creature (talk about low standards. Yuck). And the baby will have +8 more Strength than a purebreed and breathe fire.

Actually, the stat-boosts and special abilities might be the reason so many creatures bear half-dragon offspring: to make sure their kids are objectively superior to all the others.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    Dragon could work too. You thought Humans got around? Dragons will literally knock up any living, corporeal creature (talk about low standards. Yuck). And the baby will have +8 more Strength than a purebreed and breathe fire.

Actually, the stat-boosts and special abilities might be the reason so many creatures bear half-dragon offspring: to make sure their kids are objectively superior to all the others.
    Oozes are both Living and Corporeal, and are a legitimate subject for the Half-Dragon template. They lack reproductive organs, or for that matter, organs of any kind. Ponder these facts.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-11-02 at 12:57 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Oozes are both Living and Corporeal, and are a legitimate subject for the Half-Dragon template. They lack reproductive organs, or for that matter, organs of any kind. Ponder these facts.
    Thoughts like this may be the reason you're the eldritch horror in the playground. Now excuse me for a second while I make the villain for my next campaign.

He's a black pudding!

He's a black dragon!

He does it all

18. - Top - End - #18

a Test Tube Wyrmling
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

A womanizer is not a pervert. In fact, most identifiable perverts make really really bad womanizers.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Now I am trying to imagine some kind of Zapp Brannigan/Barney Stintson/Sam Axe hybrid.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Really, I think the main difference is just being subtle.

Womanizer: "By the gods, you're looking beautiful tonight, my lady."

Pervert: "LET ME SQUEEZE YOUR BOOBIES."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

What exactly do you mean by "womanizer"? What is your goal with this character?
    I have one character who is the son of a celestial equivalent to a succubus. He is madly in love with the concept of love. Of every sort of love: romantic, sexual, familial, platonic, the lot. He has a lot of dalliances, hook-ups and flings. And every single one of those women, every last one, he was madly in love with her. And he was always completely honest, and he bore his heart to them. He's a poet, a Casanova, a lover in every sense of the word. He's a flatterer and a sweet-talker, but never a "perv".

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Print out a long list of Zapp Brannigan and Barney Stinsen quotes and just bust one of those out when the situation calls for it.

24. - Top - End - #24

Im all for the romantic as well, a womanizer is a romantic basically, he treats the girls hes trying to get well and makes them feel nice, the only difference is the likely hood of an std in fantasy world, and when they wake up before the woman they plot their only deaths. Add being an inccubus to it, and it could be kinda funny.
    Call me Crazy

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

well, another thing coudl be that he's actually courteous. He is well mannered, well spoken, well groomed, (has high CHA), and sometimes he makes a well crafted innuendo (not the "if you know what you mean kind", but the "you're not a fan of Freud, are you?" kind). he looks characters he knows can't resist and hypnotizes them with his stunning. he does nto need bluff as he lives by Diplomacy. he doesn't tell lies, he would rather conceal the complete truth. he promises girls the world, the life of a princess, the man of their dreams, a god to pray to. he is attraction incarnate, but never, ever vulgar.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

IMO, the difference you're looking for in this case is respect. A womanizer will love to talk to and impress women, but he'll show them respect, care and attention while doing it.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sipex View Post
    IMO, the difference you're looking for in this case is respect. A womanizer will love to talk to and impress women, but he'll show them respect, care and attention while doing it.
    To also add on...it would seem...

A womanizer directs his attentions towards the lady.

A perv directs his attentions towards select bits of the woman's anatomy.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

A womanizer gets laid.

A pervert does not.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    To also add on...it would seem...

A womanizer directs his attentions towards the lady.

A perv directs his attentions towards select bits of the woman's anatomy.
    I'm not sure I can add much to this line but I think it's correct.

A perv just wants to have sex. The woman are just fleshy toys as far as he is concerned.

The womanizer genuinely cares about the woman he's with. He wants them to be relaxed and happy and cares for their well being. (I sense plot hook)

The perv is playing single player, the womanizer is playing Co-op.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by HunterOfJello View Post
    Print out a long list of Zapp Brannigan and Barney Stinsen quotes and just bust one of those out when the situation calls for it.
    Or the lyrics to Weird Al's "Wanna B Ur Lover".