New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] Adventures in the Planes - IC

Sensing the dismissal in Corellon's words, Eltain bows before him.

"I'll do that, then." He tries to fight down the worry that renewed itself at the lack of confirmation. Was Frank... He shuddered and refused to think of it. No. Corellon would surely tell him if Frank had passed from his wounds. He must be fine. He forces it from his mind and looks up at his god once more, fixing Corellon's face in his mind.

"Thank you, again, for seeing us. I never in my wildest dreams allowed myself to even think that I might one day meet you. I'm just a Paladin who belongs to a splinter sect most believe to be heretical, though now I know I was right all along. It means more to me that I was able to be here before you than I can ever express. Thank you."
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"The mission first, Asheroth. If you require access to reliable documents of that subject, I'm sure that could be given as payment for your help. Right now, we have a world to save."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Zyrr meets Sehanine's gaze and grins in response, interpreting the shared joke. Let Pavick call himself a master of stealth. There is stealth and there is total nondetection, and he's the stealthiest wizard I've seen.

Zyrr bows deeply to the deities and avatar as his companions talk. Asheroth's request is no business of his. Besides, he himself is curious about what pheasant recipes the elven ancestors have recorded over the centuries. "Eltain's words are nearly my own. This is only the second divine realm I've been in, and the two receptions have been as different as black and white. I thank you for the hospitality you've shown me in spite of my background, and I'll make certain you never regret it."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The two gods and the avatar give respectful nods and warm smiles as you back away, before Corellon and Sehanine begin speaking privately to each other. The druid avatar of Melora makes a small gesture to The Shepherd, and the pair slowly walk out of the room, the Shepherd stroking his newly grown beard with every step. As Melora passes by Lucan, the avatar lays a bark-covered hand on the bard's shoulder. "The wild inside of you is calling strong. It can be useful, but you must never give yourself over to it entirely."

------------ Eltain ------------

As Eltain makes his way over to Cyraallin, the Centaur gives a bow, and touches his forehead. "Ark-erynsuoress, if you will follow me, I will show you to the stables."

The Centaur turns, and exits the magnificent chamber at a brisk trot, and Eltain has to hurry to keep up with him. Once again, Eltain passes through that strange fog, but on emerging he does not find himself back in the city, but instead in the middle of an open field, as far as the eye can see, a blinding emerald green expanse of grass, broken only by patches of wildflowers so bright they hurt his eyes to look at. Across the field, the celestial mounts of Arvandor wandered. Some seemed to be eating contently, some were running across the grass, others were flying in lazy circles in the sky. Many were horses, unicorn, and pegasi; but a few silver dragons, dire badgers, and even an elephant can be seen lumbering around the open field.

Eltain barely has time to take it all in, before a familiar mule trots up to him. The celestial pega-mule appears to be in perfect health, but rather than approach the paladin, Frank looks Eltain up and down slowly before trotting over and stepping on Eltain's foot. With a snort, Frank nods as if he's satisfied and immediately begins trying to dig his nose into Eltain's pocket looking for the sugar-cubes he knows Eltain tended to keep there.

--------- Asheroth & Pavick -----------------

As the gods dismiss you, a raven-haired eladrin walks up, and bows politely. "I am Malhotra, I often work in the library, if you require someone to show you the way." The two ravens that make up the eladrin's hair caw loudly. "Yes, yes, be quiet you two!" He shoos off the birds, revealing that he is in fact completely bald.

"It would be an honor for me to guide two arcane masters of such renown. It's just out this doorway." He turns, and leads you into the archway you used to enter the room, back into the thick fog. However, when you emerge, you find yourself at the base of a cylindrical room nearly a thousand feet in diameter, and so tall that you strain your neck trying to see the ceiling. The center of the building is hollow, but ringing it all the way up are floor after floor of bookshelves packed to the brim. For one such as Pavick, who was used to rooms filled with books, it was like waking up in a dream that would have caused most arcane masters to die in sheer ecstasy. For Asheroth, the idea that there could possibly be so much knowledge in the universe made his head ache trying to imagine it.

Malhotra claps softly, and a pair of large round disks zip out from somewhere in the expanse above, and come to a rest in front of you. Malhotra motions to the disk. "If you take a seat on these, they will take you anywhere you need to go in the Library. Just ask it for a specific subject or book, and it will take you there. If you find yourself uncomfortable, just command the type of terrain you require."

Looking at the disk, he says in a firm voice "Softer." and the disk is immediately covered with a layer of thick, comfortable looking grass. "Support!" A small mountain bursts out of the center of the disk, forming a rocky angle that looks perfect for lounging against. "Light." A small sun appears over the grass and mountain, beaming down bright light over the disk. "Hmm... a little less light." Two small clouds form in the air, partially obscuring the light of the miniature sun.

With a smile, he turns back to Pavick and Asheroth. "Well, you get the idea. If you run into any problems, just ask the disk to take you to the Librarian. He'll sort you out, but I recommend against wasting his time. He can get a bit...irritable with foolish questions."

------------ Lucan, Zyrr, and Aramil ------------------

As the rest of the party goes their separate ways, a satyr trots up to Aramil, Zyrr, and Lucan. "It is an honor to have you in the palace of the Seldarine. Is there anything you require? If you are simply looking to relax, I can take you down to the city of paradise. The grass there is green and the women are very, very pretty." He gives the three a knowing wink. "Ah, I'm sorry, I didn't introduce myself. My name is Axelrosse.

-------------------------------------------------------

OOC: Ok, basically this is the chance for the party to take care of any last minute details or pick up anything before we head back to the feywild.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain's surprise at Frank's actions is overwhelmed by his joy and relief at seeing his friend unharmed. He throws his arms around the mule's neck, hugging him tightly before pulling away.

"What was that for? I didn't want to leave you there, you know that. Or the others..." He sighs as he pulls out a couple of lumps of sugar and lets Frank eat them. "Did you see if anyone else was able make it out, Frank? Maybe Kosalram at least had the sense to try to hitch a ride on you? I hope at least in the chaos of that storm I created they were able to take advantage of the confusion and get out..." He sighs. "As mad as Lucan acts, I wish you'd start talking to me. I know you're at least almost as smart as I am, and half the time I think you're smarter..."
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2013-01-12 at 08:36 PM.
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

"Nice to meet you, Axelrosse," Lucan says. "Is there anywhere around here that I can find some music? Perhaps someplace where I can play myself?"
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2013-01-13 at 02:56 PM.
    Donald S. Crankshaw
    Blog: Back of the Envelope

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick thanks the eladrin librarian and climbs aboard the disk. "Take me to a tome about Senaliesse. Anything you have. Maps, histories, you'll never know where a good bit of information will come up."

As the disk goes zooming off, Pavick experiments with the disk's commands. First creating a comfortable place to sit, a large mound of soft earth. Then a slightly larger hill in front of him to serve as a table. His feet dangle pleasantly in the canyon between. "Isn't this nice, Slick? A lovely little disk that obeys your every command. I will have to figure this out. Too many good ideas to fit into one plane all at once. Maybe something as mutable as this disk would be good." He continues to experiment for a few minutes, even after the disk slowed to a stop before a section of bookcase.

8. - Top - End - #68

Planetar

Asheroth steps onto the magical disk and takes a seat crossing is legs. "I need to know everything there is to know about the Betrayal of Asmodeus, the Curse of Baator and the Fall of the Angels."

The disk slowly rises and wavers in the air for a moment as if it did not know which subject to find first. "Okay. Let's start easy. Betrayal of Asmodeus. Also, let there be fire." A low crackle and hiss emerges from the disk as small flames emerge from the surface. The disk begins to move in a determined line toward the top tier of shelves. The tomes here seem to be much older than any where else. Ash reads the titles of some as they glide by: The Artificer's Handbook v. 3.5 by Mordenkainen, Cold Snaps: A Collection of Related Poems and Insults by Bigby, Goats by The Shepherd. Huh!?

The disk finally stops in front of a shelf with books gilded in spawling gold and silver.

Alright. Let's get to the bottom of this...
    "How could a man go through life with so little? Nothing of permanence, nothing built up to leave behind him. Nothing to testify to his existence at all. The kind of man who isn't focused on his own existence, I guess. The kind of man who cares more about others than he does himself..."--Harry Dresden, from Ghost Story

Nosce te ipsum

9. - Top - End - #69

Zyrr blinks at Axelrosse's comment about women. He looks to Lucan, quite occupied with his pixie and unicorn. Then to Aramil, the stoic general. Then he fixes his gaze on their guide with a smirk and a shrug. "You're welcome to the women. Lucan's taken care of, Aramil might enjoy a chat with one of his warlord ancestors, and as for myself, if you could point out a bakery and specify that yes, I really do just want to learn how to make an elven baguette, I'd be much obliged."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Yes, I think I might... though I feel that I have already been too long delayed from my duties..."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

-------------Eltain-------------

At Eltain's words, Frank walks over to a small clump of dirt, and begins making marks in it with his hoof. The marks a bit awkward to make out, as even a mule as clever as Frank has difficulty using a hoof in such a manor, but after a few minutes of guessing, erasing, and re-drawing, Eltain is able to recognize that Frank has drawn a set of manacles in the dirt. The mule looks at him with a sad look when Eltain finally realizes what it is, then looks up above, into the vastness of the Astral Sea that floats around the divine realm.

------------- Pavick & Asheroth --------------

The wizard and the warlock soon find themselves zooming around the Library on their own personal islands. The small disks resonate with Pavick, and the magical weaves used to construct them seem very closely based on many of the spells he used when doing his own research on the planes. Eventually, both the wizard and the warlock find books on the subjects close to their heart.

For Pavick, there is no shortage of books on Senaliesse.

OOC: Quick "travelers guide" overview on Senaliesee, for those who don't want to go back through the old threads:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the center of the Feywild’s primeval forest grows a massive stand of ancient silver trees. The forest at the base of these trees seems completely undisturbed. A glance upward reveals nothing but the shining columns of the trunks rising into mist. No sound can be heard but the rustle of leaves and the chitter of wildlife. This silver grove is Senaliesse, the home of Queen Tiandra.

Guests of the Summer Queen wait patiently here until eladrin rangers appear from the green shadows. Once the all-clear is given, a rope elevator descends from the mists above. Visitors then endure a breathtaking—and terrifying—ride on the open elevator platform up to high into the treetops. Long after they’ve completely lost sight of the ground, guests breach the canopy and arrive in the rambling palace of Tiandra, the Summer Queen. The palace sprawls out through the tops of countless gigantic oaks and yews. Tree limbs wide enough for several humans to walk comfortably abreast span the space between the silver trees. Visitors use these main avenues, although a web of thin rope walkways also connects branches high and low. The thought of a fatal fall from such treacherous footholds is too daunting for most.

Senaliesse lacks the signature crystal stone of most other eladrin cities. It is composed completely of living wood coaxed by Lord Oran to form walls, archways, and roadways high in the fey tree branches. The centerpiece of the palace is Tiandra’s Chamber, a soaring proscenium of twisting green leaves overhanging a throne made of green summer branches and bounteous cascades of flowering scented vines. If Queen Tiandra is inclined to receive audience, hundreds of creatures can mingle comfortably in the room within. The sheer size of this proscenium is why Senaliesse has become the prime location for the irregular meetings of the Court of Stars.

In reading, it seems to Pavick that the greatest challenge (for both the party and the Drow) will be getting to the top of the city. The Summer Court rests at the very peak of the trees, and without the elven elevators to ascend to the top, climbing will be extremely difficult, and one wrong slip could send you plummeting to the bottom. Many of the trees that make up the city are hollow, and are carved with intricate staircases on the inside, but they are notoriously well defended by magical wards and traps. Should the drow hold one of them from higher ground, ascending one of these trees could very well be a deathtrap. It's also unclear of how much of the cities magic was tied to Tiandra, and how her imprisonment will affect the magical wards and defenses of the city in the trees.

Far from the leaf and bark bound books on Senaliesee, Asheroth's disk takes him to a remote corner of the library, where the very books have been chained to the bookshelves to keep the quivering pages from flying open or "falling out" onto the heads of unwary patrons. The books Asheroth finds are bound in what looks to be human skin blacked by charcoal, clasped with white-hot golden and silver latches.

The Rise of Asmodeus
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Asmodeus, once the angelic paragon of chastity and virtue, chief general of **********" The name here is burned away, even though Asheroth doesn't seem to be able to even slightly scorch the page with his most potent spells. "was set to guard for eternity that-which-is-chained-below. The evil of the abyss poisoned the angel's soul, and the demon Pazuzu filled Asmodeus' ears with the seeds of pride and arrogance. Soon, the once just angel became angry at the eternal task he had volunteered for, and took the evil of the Abyss into himself, and sought out the others of the angelic host he had commanded throughout the dawn war.

"One-by-one, the evil spread from Asmodeus to his generals, and they rose up against *********** and struck down the god of creation and protection. Asmodeus seized the divine power for himself, even as ********** cursed all the angels who had rebelled against him, twisting and turning them into the devils they are now. Asmodeus was forever bound to the cursed and twisted divine realm of his former master, unable to leave unless to meet the other gods, or to battle in the blood war against the demons that spawned him."

The names of the fallen generals who became the Lords of Hell do not seem to be immediately available. With time, you may be able to find them, but even here the writings on the devils seems to be fairly scarce. Even the Tomes you do find seem to have been written in a hurry, as if the author could not wait to move on to other topics. There are brief overviews to some of the layers of hell (all but the ninth), and Asheroth even finds the sigil sequences for the first, fifth, sixth, and eighth layers.

---------------- Lucan, Aramil, Zyrr --------------

Axelrosse's eyes dart between the three with a smile. Putting two fingers to his lips, he whistles, and a dryad steps out of a tree nearby. "Oh, sweet child of mine!" The satyr trots over and kisses the Dryad on the forehead. "Could you go and inform master Dekhanti that he may have an extra hand in his kitchen tonight?" He gives a nod to Zyrr. "We'll walk down the long way to give him time to get ready."

Leading you down into the "city of paradise" the three of you draw no shortage of strange looks. The presence of a drow is enough to draw most heads, but many quickly point to the sword on Aramil's hip, or to Lena on Lucan's shoulder, and whispers begin to abound. As you pass over a bridge that looks to be made of silken threads (yet doesn't even quiver as you walk across it), you hear snippets of conversation, including words like "Kolianda", "Winter Court", "Succubus", "Printempest" and even "Fallcrest." Before too long there's a trail of the exalted fey following and watching, even as you enter into the heart of the city.

Arriving at a small bakery called a Lembasserie, Axelrosse motions inside with a flourish to Zyrr. "Master Dekhanti awaits you." he says. Inside the bakery is completely empty, except for a massive, shirtless ogre wearing a puffy white hat.

"Is zis ze one who weeshes to learn from ze great Dekhanti?" the ogre growls, jabbing Zyrr in the chest with a rolling pin. "Come, leettle drow. Before we make ze baguette, we must grind grain." Placing a long stalk of grain on the ornate marble countertop, the ogre smashes his head onto the plant with a *BANG*, leaving only finely ground powder where the grain kernel once was. "Now you..."

Leaving Zyrr behind, Axelrosse continues leading Aramil and Lucan. "He may not look it, but Master Dekhanti is one of the finest chefs in the city. If Master Zyrr'dellin survives learning from him, you'd be advised to let him do all the cooking in the future. He'll come out of that bakery bruised, but a gourmet. Ah, here we are." Axelrosse leads the pair into a tower built into the side of a massive silver baobab tree.

The tree seemed large from the outside, but it is easily bigger on the inside than you could have ever imagined. A group of naiads play instruments made of living water on a small pool in the middle of the room, while food and drinks float through the air to the groups of reusti lounging about the room. All around, the denizens of Arvandor sat around tables laughing and drinking, but many were taking part in various games and other types of entertainment. Some played cards, some played a game tossing magical lightning between rings (similar to those Aramil played when first arriving at the academy), and others played strange games with dice and sheets of parchment. With a wide smile, Axelrosse cried out "Welcome to 'The Jungle' tavern. Here, we have fun, games, anything you could want." Pointing to the stage of water, Axelrosse leaned towards Lucan "Technically, they're the band for the evening, but I think with a wink and a smile, they'd gladly let you join in."

To Aramil, he simply gave a pat on the shoulder. "I'm afraid your name proceeds you. Should you wish to discuss battle strategy, magical theory, or are simply looking for someone to share your bed, I don't think you'll have much trouble." Turning, Aramil can see that much of the crowd that took note of him on the way here have crowded into The Jungle, and are watching him expectantly.

---------------------------------

Late that evening, you all find yourself back in the room you were given when you first arrived in Nath Seldarie, with only the Shepherd still absent (still speaking, no doubt, with the avatar of Melora).

OOC: This is the chance to discuss any last strategy or ideas before you set off to the feywild.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf Bard

Lucan has a talk with the naiads, and quickly convinces them to let him play a set. He starts with some old favorites, like "There's a Drow in the Kitchen" and "Ballad of the Disappearing Sheep Dog," followed by something new, dark and complex, a mournful tune for secrets lost and lives forgotten. He doesn't have a name for it yet, but it fits his mood, and even the whispering voice is quiet for that one. Then he finishes with the latest song he's completed, "The Lament of the 'Jammer,'" a song for the fallen crew of Zyrr's vessel. It tells of their bravery in combat, and recounts their final desperate flight, as well as Lucan can reconstruct it in his imagination.
    Donald S. Crankshaw

13. - Top - End - #73

The other two adventurers leave to the sight of Zyrr silently pointing between the intact wheat kernel in front of him and the apron-clad ogre beaming down at him expectantly. As they leave, they hear a loud *BAM!* followed by a muffled groan of pain. Inside the kitchen, biting down on a cloth and holding a palm to his head, Zyrr looks down to his horror to see a slightly crumpled grain of wheat. He whines and rears his head back again.

----

That evening, Zyrr sits almost unmoving at the table, holding an icepack to his head and bitterly eyeing a labeled bottle of sleeping draught set at arm's length from him. Some of his white hair ends in black singe marks, his ebony body is covered in blue and purple bruises, and one eye is surrounded by a puffy reddish pillow of flesh.

He listens to Pavick's lore patiently, wincing every so often as he shifts in his chair to trade one sore spot for another. "So one of us could commandeer a rope elevator for the others, but that would leave us open to attack during the ascent. Climbing the trees from the inside would be devastating as a group, unless we can somehow turn the magic of the wards to our side. Were it just me, I'd try climbing the outside of a particularly gnarled tree for the sake of handholds and cover. But you're not all climbers so I've got nothing at mind now but a headache."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil looks over the tavern and then takes a seat at a then-empty table. He sits silently for a moment, observing the crowd of curious beings forming around him. "So, you wish to match wits with General Printempest, hm? Well, I think I have a scenario in mind that should interest most of you... one that is not entirely dissimilar to what adventurers call a dungeon crawl."

He begins to weave together a impossible task: a squad valiant warriors to enter a mighty fortress teaming with Orcs and retrieve an orb of mystic might undetected... a fortress with traps and magic defenses dedicated to flushing out those who would try to sneak about, and with too strong and too many Orcs to defeat in direct combat.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick looks sympathetically at Zyrr. "The things some people will do for a little bread..." he mutters.

"I think you're right. I know climbing isn't my greatest strength. I can think of several rituals that are normally able to bypass such challenges, but in this instance, I highly doubt they'll prove very useful. I'm sure that Senaliesse probably has some sort of magical security to make such rituals less useful. There's got to be a teleportation circle up there somewhere. Maybe if I continue to research, I could find a sigil sequence that would take us to the top. Hard to say. Then again, maybe flight would be better? A tree stride, entering the roots of one tree only to step out of the branches of another? But again I would assume there are countermeasures already in place for any of these."

16. - Top - End - #76

Planetar

Asheroth rubs his forehead for a moment in thought. "If there is no safe, practical, magical way to ascend Senaliesse, then a non-magical way would most likely be our best shot, though the ascent may be physically dangerous. I would rather deal with the prospect of falling to my death than being driven mad or incapacitated by some magical ward that I cannot see. Also from what Pavick has relayed to us about the trunks' wards and traps, it may be easier to find an undefended tree and slowly ascend the trunk from the inside. If we are careful and methodical, we can reach the canopy unmolested by the drow. I doubt they will have every staircase well-defended. Perhaps there may also be a way to re-arm the traps and wards if we have to disable them, so that a drow security detail will have a hard time following us. If it appears no one has slipped past them, they may be inclined to look past any small anomalies.

In my opinion, if we are able to get past some of the magical traps and wards without alerting the drow, we will at least have a buffer between us and them. This might be the best way. Though, all ways in seem to be wrought with peril."

Ash resumes rubbing his forehead in pensive thought.
    Last edited by Orsik Vondal; 2013-01-25 at 11:31 AM.
    "How could a man go through life with so little? Nothing of permanence, nothing built up to leave behind him. Nothing to testify to his existence at all. The kind of man who isn't focused on his own existence, I guess. The kind of man who cares more about others than he does himself..."--Harry Dresden, from Ghost Story

Nosce te ipsum

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Pavick, if it comes down to it, I could carry you up the trees."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

"Thanks for the offer, we'll see if it comes to that. Perhaps I could fashion a set of straps, like a backpack or something that you could sling me over your back to leave your hands free for climbing." As he speaks, a small illusion of Aramil with a tiny gnome in a papoose climbs up the wall next to him. "Though, I do know a flight spell. I'm just worried that it will cut out on me half-way up when I hit an anti-magic field or something." The tiny gnome takes off, from the child carrying rigging flying toward the ceiling, but before he gets more than a few feet higher, he suddenly plummets to the ground, leaving a small messy patch on the ground, before Pavick dismisses the illusion.

"Another thought occurs to me. What about other help we might find still there? My people are very able to hide themselves away from trouble. I know the same is true about many other fey races. Maybe there are still some fey hiding about Senaliesse waiting for help. If we could find them, they might be able to help us get to Tiandra. There must be a gnome or a pixie or a dryad or something still about."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain's eyes sting with tears as he realizes what Frank has drawn in the soil and walks over to the pegamule, burying his forehead against the side of Frank's head. He clenches a fist in sorrow and anger and looks Frank in the eyes.

"Don't worry, Frank. Right now, we have other duties we have to attend to, but don't think I'll leave this be. Someday this war will end, and then you and I and the others are going to find where they are and rescue them, if it means we have to kill every devil in the hells." His voice is firm and filled with grim conviction. He gives Frank's ears a comforting pet and nods towards the direction he came from. "Come on, we should find the others. And I want to look around before we have to go. I guess you get to be in Arvandor all the time, but this is my first time." He chuckles. "I wonder what the Rex family thinks. Someday when I get a chance I should go apologize for inadvertently stealing their mule." He has the centaur who brought him here show him the way to the city where the others went, Frank walking beside him.

Eltain enters with some trepidation, recalling all too well that he's a winter fey and widely considered a heretic, but to his surprise the disdainful looks and dark mutterings he expected are utterly absent. Instead he finds himself drawing looks of admiration and excited whispers. Here and there he spots occasionally those he was too late to save, or a fallen comrade, and stops to apologize or give a warm greeting and words of friendship. More than a few curious stares are leveled at the mule that walks unridden and unloaded beside him, though Frank usually simply returns the stare and trots on proudly at Eltain's side.

As the afternoon wears on and the young Paladin begins to relax, he finds himself sitting by a fountain in a beautiful spring garden that puts to shame anything he's seen even in the Feywild. He spends most of the rest of the day here, enjoying the scenery and the rest and talking to people. Quite a few women give him inviting glances, and a few men as well, and he flirts with a few of them, but always in his mind is someone he knows he can never have. And even that person isn't nearly as beautiful as Corellon. Now there would b- He shakes his head, forcing the blasphemous thoughts from his mind, and chuckles at his bad taste. He turns his attention to the passerby, finds one he finds attractive, and puts on his best come-hither look.

-----

Eltain listens later that evening as plans are discussed, sitting back in a chair, his armor changed to a loose, comfortable robe. He pats Zyrr comfortingly and tends to his wounds.

"Unless they've constructed wards of their own since last time, there aren't any at least that impede non-magical flight... Toveliss and I were able to ride Frank just fine." Frank snorts in a manner that can only be described as disdainful and Eltain glares at him. "Oh, come on, you've carried more weight than that since." He folds his hands together and rests his chin on them.

"Granted, even if we did find sufficient flying mounts for all of us, that leaves us potentially open to sniping attacks from below. It's also not very stealthy, although to be honest, we're not exactly stealthy ourselves." He ponders. "Looking for a teleport circle is a good idea, but it's almost certain that it will be extremely well-guarded. The drow will expect such a thing."

"Also, we run into the problem with climbing trees that some of us are, well." He gestures at himself. While he's gotten taller and filled out a bit more since the year before, he's still hardly a specimen of physical fitness. "No matter what way we try to go, there's going to be some kind of drawback. Is there a map of Senalisse somewhere?" He considers.

"I doubt anyone there would last for long. Though, that does bring something up. We're fey... For the most part, anyway," he looks at Asheroth, "perhaps the wards that already existed there may not trigger on those who are not enemies of the fey. That would help matters, though undoubtedly the drow have laid their own traps." He sighs and rubs the bridge of his nose.

"Zyrr's too well known, but someone like Kerazt might well be able to infiltrate their ranks for a bit to get some information and possibly identify or even open a path for us. Or perhaps disguise ourselves as drow. Won't help Asheroth much, and it would be best if it were non-magical to avoid any nastiness with illusion-dispelling wards, but..."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The debate over how to approach Senalisse goes on well into the night and continues until the dancing constellations above gradually dim under the shimmering pink and orange lights of dawn on Arvandor. New ideas are proposed and rejected throughout the night, most most are rejected or tossed aside for one reason or another. ("No Lucan, we can't become were-squirrels"; "What if we burn down the trees with Hellfi-" "I will cut you if you finish that sentence, Asheroth."; "As much as I hate to admit it, posing as cooks *might* not get us into the Drow army")

Eventually, a decision is made to "Make things up as we go and try not to die" and before long you find yourself standing atop a large stone platform in the middle of a crystalline lake in the heart of Nath Seldarie. The arcane runes that mark this teleportation circle do not appear as if they've been etched there by magic, but rather as if the water itself wore away sections of the stone over the years, leaving natural groves that somehow form the requisite sigil sequence needed. As you stand in the circle, preparing to leave, three figures form out of the mist of the lake and approach you.

The first misty figure steps forward, the symbol of the eight-pointed star and crescent moon clearly visible upon its chest. In a voice that crackles with energy, it speaks clearly "Your quest could very well determine the fate of the feywild and the Seldarine. Should the drow take Tiandra and the feywild, there is no limit to what horrors the spider-queen might unleash." The misty figure places a hand on the chest of Eltain and Aramil. "General, my Ark-erynsuoress, go forth with my blessing.

OOC: Aramil & Eltain receive the Blessing of Corellon:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Consumable - Free Action
    Trigger: You miss with an attack
    Effect: Reroll the attack. This attack may score a critical hit on a roll of 15-20

The second figure steps forward, and the light shining through the figure is obscured so that only twinkling spots of sunlight gleam off the surface of the deep blue mist. "Be cautious. Those devoted to my sister will consider no tactic to low and no deception too great in their attempt to destroy us." A dark cloud falls over Zyrr'dellin and Pavick "May you be hidden and protected from the poison of the drow."

OOC: Pavick & Zyrr receive the Blessing of Sehanine:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Consumable - Immediate Interrupt
    Trigger: You are hit by an attack.
    Effect: You become invisible until the end of your next turn. The attacker must re-roll the attack.

The final figure, mist dotted with small growths of seaweed and budding water lilies approaches you, and in a voice like crashing waves intones softly "I have asked your friend The Shepherd to accompany me to the godsmeet, but he implored me to remind you that the naughty goats must not escape the crook." The misty figure's face twists in a wry smile as she bends down to speak with Lucan and Asheroth. "As you go into battle, do not ignore the battle raging inside of you. There is conflict within you, but you must guard how it manifests itself. Receive my blessing, and go forth."

OOC: Lucan & Asheroth receive the Blessing of Melora:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Consumable - Immediate reaction
    Trigger: You fall to 0 hitpoints or fewer.
    Effect: Regain hitpoints as if you had spent a healing surge.

With that, the three figures disappear back into the mist, and the sigils around the stone platform begin to glow. With one last look over your shoulder at the beauty of Arvandor, you step through the whirling portal.

-----------------------------

As you are swept across the planes, the first sense to re-allign itself after you teleport is your sense of smell. Even as your eyes adjust to the new light, the stench of burning fills your nose and mouth, choking you even as you take your first breath. As your eyes adjust to the light of the feywild, you find yourself on a small knoll only a few miles from Senalisse. The air is filled with ash and smoke, and huge swaths of blackened stumps scar the once glorious golden woods below you. Far ahead, you can see the towering silver trees that make up Senalisse, their tops hidden by the haze of smoke that hangs over the woods. The forest around the silver trees has been burnt to nothingness, but no flame has managed to touch the silver boughs of the city.

Around the city, legion upon legion of Drow soldiers and their hordes of slaves are encamped. Temples to Lolth have been set up around the base of the trees, and even from this distance you can see the magical energies of the priestesses illuminating the tree trunks. To the east, several massive siege towers roll towards the city in the trees, each pulled by dozens of cyclopes under the grotesque eyes and whips of their Formorian masters. Gnomes in manacles scurry around the siege towers, scampering to avoid the cracking whips of the Fomorians. Putrid black smoke filled with crackling green sparks of arcane magic rises out from the tops of the towers, and every plant in the wake of the monstrous machines has withered and turned a shade of sickly gray.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick smiles and thanks Sehanine for her blessing. "Your support at this critical time will help carry us through the trials to come. Thank you."

Once through the portal, Pavick coughs and sputters at the smoke. Even being so low to the ground, the sudden smell of smoke was a shock after the clear, pleasant air of Nath Seldarie. He holds the large floppy sleeve of his robe over his mouth and nose as he takes a moment to adjust.

He surveys the area, whispering to himself, "I knew it would be bad, but..."

Finally his eyes land on the siege towers. He snaps his fingers. "See, there's a possibility right there. What do you say we try to catch a ride up into the tree tops on one one those towers?"

22. - Top - End - #82

Planetar

Ash bows slightly, and breathes, "Don't I know it. Thank you. He shall not master me."

As the world stops spinning in front of Ash's eyes, his nostrils flare with the crisp scent of...burning wood and leaves? He turns immediately to Aramil and Eltain. "It wasn't me! I swear!"

While the smell of charcoal and ashes was not entirely unexpected, so was the accompanying thought. This is what awaits you in the end... He shakes away the doubt and remembers the Avatar of Melora's words, '...you must guard how it manifests itself.' Manifests? What did she mean by that?

He peers through the smoke looking for a sparsely guarded tree trunk.

Nosce te ipsum

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

OOC: Could I get a perception check from Asheroth?

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan examined the army below, which was much bigger than he had expected. Maybe he shouldn't have let his friends talk him out of the were-squirrel idea. Still, there must be a way through. Perhaps there was some way to make use of the remaining trees.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception - (1d20+23)[35]
    Preternatural senses re-roll: Perception - (1d20+23)[28]
    Nature - (1d20+21)[32]
    Donald S. Crankshaw

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Peering through the soot and ash in the air, Lucan and Asheroth look down at the army below encircling the defiant silver tree trunks. At first, little is visible aside from the general chaos of the legion of drow troops laying siege to the city, but as your eyes continue adjusting to the light, you realize that in the middle of the trees, two massive forms have begun moving. Next to the giant trees, you could almost mistake them for the large spiders that one might find in the underdark, but once you mentally put them in scale with the silver boughs you realize that each is easily the size of a large manor house. An unnatural light shines from within the creatures that have slowly begun climbing the trees, and even from this distance you can see the light glint off of adamantine gears that slowly turn eight mechanical legs. Drow troops swarm across the mechanical colossi, darting in and out of trap doors as they work the magical and mechanical energies that drive the two constructs.

Step by step, the massive mechanical spiders begin working their way up the side of the sacred trees, even as the Fomorian siege engines roll forward.

26. - Top - End - #86

Planetar

Ash makes up his mind fairly quickly, seeing as how time is of the essence. "I say we hitch a ride on one of those spiders. I think it would be better than getting anywhere near the life-killing smoke those siege engines are churning out."

Nosce te ipsum

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"They may also be more difficult to use ourselves... but either way, I plan on us setting the thing on its masters afterward. The distraction should help us get through as well as cause additional damage to the Drow war effort."

Aramil shakes his head at the wanton destruction. "Even should we fail Sehanine's plan, the sight of what the Drow have wrought should bring the Prince to the table for even a temporary alliance... he would want to rule the Feywild, not ruin it as these fools are..."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

"Giant mechanical spider sounds good to me," Lucan says. "I've always wanted to ride one of those."
    Donald S. Crankshaw

29. - Top - End - #89

Zyrr waves Eltain away once he realize the poking on his arm is the half-eladrin dabbing ointment on him. "Please don't; I'm learning. Every bruise, cut, or burn is a memory of a different cooking technique. After it sinks in tonight, I'll be a walking cookbook." He points to the sleeping potion in front of him. "That has a regenerative effect that will heal me overnight. But for now I need the pain."

-------

Those devoted to my sister will consider no tactic to low and no deception too great in their attempt to destroy us.

Sehanine's words ring a familiar chord in Zyrr. That statement would have applied to him a decade ago. It might still apply, actually, but to what extent the surfacer drow isn't sure.

But that's food for thought the next time he can afford to ponder something. For now he bows formally to the goddess. "This blessing is an unexpected and unasked-for honor. I'll do my best to earn it."

------

Zyrr finds himself so choked up by the smoke that he has to rip part of his shirt to cover his mouth. "I never imagined there could be so much burning in one place!" he gasps once he can stop coughing. "I've seen wars before, but they're much cleaner underground."

Following the gazes of Ash and Lucan, Zyrr sees the giant enemy crab spiders approaching the base of the trees. He scans his compatriots and counts one, two, three, four arcane practitioners. "I think we can manage it well enough, with my knowledge of drow construction and your arcane experience. Those things shouldn't be run by any priestesses; they'd just summon actual spiders if they were involved. I wouldn't count on it being smart enough to just sic it on the drow afterward... but it'd make a pretty nice crater if we made it hang onto the top of one of those trees and told it to let go. I'd like to see that. Let's make it happen."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick pulls his flute out of his belt and begins fingering a well-practiced melody on it absentmindedly as he contemplates the situation. He takes a moment to examine the giant spiders that have been brought to the group's attention as well as he can from this distance. Then he turns his attention back to the siege engines and does the same.

"My vote still goes for the siege engines, but I have to admit that is for the slightly selfish reason that I'd like to see if I can do something for the gnomes I see around them. Our mission to rescue Tiandra is more important for the moment though, so I'll agree to go to the constructs if that is what you think is more likely to succeed. I still don't see why they'd use spiders though; I know that for drow spiders are en vogue, but it seems to me like a snake would be a much simpler and more elegant design. Do you think, Slick?"

Pavick takes a moment to mull over the design of the giant spiders, considering how might be the best way to go about gaining control over them.

Spoiler
    Show

I suppose that would involve an Arcana check. Arcana - (1d20+32)[46]