New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] Adventures in the Planes - IC

Eltain kneels down by Pavick and smiles warmly at him, laying a hand on his shoulder.

"A few months? Heh, more like a few days..." He chuckles slightly, then sighs. "To be honest, even now I still have doubts about myself. I suppose I always will. Everyone does. I guess what it really comes down to is just... Not giving in to those doubts. Giving yourself a chance." He pauses to collect his thoughts.

"You say that you think Sehanine's blessing on you means you've strayed too far from Corellon's path. But think of it this way instead: Not that Corellon found you unworthy, but that he thought there was nothing you needed from him. Not that you've been relegated to Sehanine, but that your ability with illusions and trickery have drawn her interest to one who doesn't even adhere to her ways." He smiles warmly.

"I know you can believe sometimes that people are too far gone to be saved or to change, and I think maybe you're taking a little of that onto yourself. But I know that it wasn't that you've fallen from Corellon's grace. Surely after meeting him you can see why I believe that no one ever truly does." He shakes his head, smiling at Pavick.

"No, my friend. It's not that you've strayed from his path and certainly not that he's given up on you. Your devotion to the magic that Corellon inspired the worlds with is doubtless a constant source of joy to him, and your efforts to save and protect your people an inspiration. It's that you're so firmly on his path that there's nothing anyone can give you to keep you any more firmly on it than you already keep yourself." He gives the gnome a tight, reassuring hug.

"Now come on, we've got a Tiefling to catch up with." He nods to the guardians and dives after Asheroth.

-----

Eltain's eyes widen at the alternate Pavick's words.

"A tenth...? That's awful..." He sighs, shaking his head, remembering back to when they'd been able to stop that particular plot, though it had kept them from being able to save their employer. Still, he had been an honorable man, and Eltain doubted that that Tacitus Rex would have minded much knowing that the delay that cost his life had saved the town from what they had stopped. He shakes off the thoughts of old times and smiles at the baker.

"Perhaps he should have hired people like you, Pavick," he says, looking at both the false and the true Pavick. "I've found that your sort always seem to rise effortlessly to challenges to the things they love."
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick feels a little reassured by Eltain's words. It was hard for him to swallow his doubts, but it was a little easier with Eltain's encouragement. "Thanks. I hope you're right," he says before chasing after the eladrin into the pool.

-------------------------

After arriving in the bakery, Pavick breathes a heavy sigh of relief. He'd been afraid of turning into someone truly dispicable. Like everyone, Pavick had dark spaces in the corners of his mind, places that he tried to avoid, but sometimes found him in moments of weakness. This he could handle.

In fact, this life might not have been so bad. A good woman, a good business, even a child on the way. "Me a father, isn't that a trip!" He nudges Lucan and points with a transparent finger toward the halfling woman. "Hey Lucan, find out her name for me. If I ever decide to settle down, I might try to look her up in the real world," his voice appearing through a ghost-sound-whisper next to Lucan's ear.

This was exactly the life his parents had always wanted for him. The kind of life he'd turned to wizarding to escape. It didn't seem as bad as he'd always thought it would be, now that he was faced with it. Overall, he still had to be happy with the path he'd chosen. There were just too many things that would have to be given up to live this life, his friends, his neighbors, all the gnomes he'd saved, his fame, and who knows what else.

Feeling the tug grow a little, Pavick steps a little closer to his duplicate. He does not want to get close enough to touch him, but he can't resist reaching out and snagging one of the fresh-baked rolls. He waves it under his nose, inhaling deeply in the warm comforting smell.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan's still a little confused about there being two Pavicks, but it must be better than dragons and devils. At the transparent Pavick's request, he nods to the halfling woman. "Hello," he says. "I'm Lucan."
    Donald S. Crankshaw
    Blog: Back of the Envelope

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Eltain, perhaps we shouldn't confuse our friend with what-ifs, maybes, and could-have-beens, and instead work on the task at hand."
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2013-05-01 at 11:26 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The baker-Pavick looks between Eltain and Aramil bemusedly, though pauses to double take as the stack of rolls grows shorter by one. Turning to Aramil, he waves a hand dismissively. "If I could be confused by questions as easily as that, I'd be a very poor shopkeeper. You know, I almost considered applying to be a wizard's apprentice for a while. Thank goodness I turned that down, I would have most likely ended up with a goblin spear through my gut." He bugs his eyes out in fake drama with a laugh, before glancing at the swords that Aramil and Eltain carry. "You lot look as if you're comfortable with that kind of life, I doubt I ever would be."

----

As baker-Pavick speaks to Aramil and Eltain, Lucan approaches the darkskinned halfling who has moved to stare out the window at the snow. As Lucan speaks, she turns, half startled. "Oh, hello. I'm Avira." She gives a slight curtsy, and raises a hand. "Oh, hold on one moment." She steps over, and adjusts a book underneath a wobbly end table.

"Sorry about that, I keep meaning to fix that table." She pauses to glance into the glass tank on top of the table, filled with rocks, leaves and a rock. "For some reason my husband insists on keeping a pet snake. One of the many quirks that make me love him and drives me up the wall at the same time."

Straightening, she looks back at Lucan. "I'm sorry, sometimes I'm almost as bad as he is. So tell me, what brings strangers such as yourselves to our town on this fine summer evening?"

----

As the translucent Pavick steps closer to the duplicate, that tug grows slightly stronger, and somehow Pavick knows that if he wishes, he can merge with this other Pavick, and live out his life here. However, as Pavick mentally re-affirms his life choice and steps away, in the far corner of the shop he (and all of the party, though apparently not baker-Pavick or Avira), notice a portal open up on the far side of the shop. The portal has a purple hue similar to the pool you dove through to get here.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick feels good in his decision, though at the same time a pang of ... something he didn't know how to describe ... tugged at him. Was it regret? Longing? Envy? Probably just one big jumble of emotion, that was probably what this experience was designed to do, confuse and overwhelm him into giving up the life he had for one that is probably best left unlived.

He took one final walk around the shop, examining every detail. While his mind was made up, he still wasn't eager to leave this all completely behind. As he wandered, he tucked the roll in his bag. It would make a fine souvenir of this life; he'd take a minute later on to cast a simple spell to keep its warm freshness for years to come.

Finally he made his way over to the portal, "Well come on, we should really get going. This life is nice, but its not for me. I couldn't live happily knowing that I'd let all those bad things happen to you and Fallcrest. And without us, who knows what would be happening in this world's feywild. This just isn't for me... right now."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf Bard

"We're adventurers," Lucan says, just then the portal opens up. "Just passing through, I'm afraid."
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2013-05-03 at 08:38 AM.
    Donald S. Crankshaw

8. - Top - End - #218
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Not knowing anything pertinent to voice, Ash decides to remain silent. As the portal opens up, Ash remembers the nymphs words: "For some it's simple to pass by, for others there is nothing more terrifying than the version of you that might have been. Some never bring themselves to leave that place, unable to face the consequences of their choices." Ash realizes the portals significance and nods as Lucan makes his suggestion to depart. Knowing his departure would mean nothing, Ash waits for the real Pavick walk through.
    "How could a man go through life with so little? Nothing of permanence, nothing built up to leave behind him. Nothing to testify to his existence at all. The kind of man who isn't focused on his own existence, I guess. The kind of man who cares more about others than he does himself..."--Harry Dresden, from Ghost Story

Nosce te ipsum

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

After one final glance over his shoulder, Pavick steps through the portal.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

As Pavick steps through the portal, the world once again goes white. This time, as you prepare for it, you realize that there are...shades to the whiteness. It's as if you can see yourself traveling down a tree branch, and to your left and right you can see new branches spiral off as choices were made. Some end swiftly, some spiral off to become new trees in and of themselves.

For this particular tree, you follow it down to the very roots, to some of the earliest choices that affected it, before the world slowly begins to reveal itself.

Like before, a chill air greets you as you appear in this reality, and you find yourself walking through a massive palace of icicles. You would guess it to be twilight out, but it's hard to tell as every direction you look you can see light glittering through frozen walls as everburning torches of greens and blues twinkle and reflect of the layer of frost that coats everything.

To your left and right, huge frost giants walk alongside you, eyes straight ahead looking at a massive door of amber that towers nearly 40 feet high. At this point you've seen enough ceremonies to recognize an honor guard when you see one, yet the presence of another pair of frost giants at your back indicate that these guards are not only here to honor you, but also to watch you and keep you on the path.

Unsurprisingly, it is Eltain who's appearance has taken on a transparent hue. Despite never having seen this palace before, Eltain is quick to recognize the magic of the winter fey that went into constructing this elaborate structure.

Ahead of you, the large amber doors swing open, leading into a throne room. Unlike most throne rooms, this is open to the world, and you can now see that you are on the top of a mountain, looking down over what is surely the feywild below you, covered with a peaceful blanket of snow. Sitting on a raised dais in the middle of the room, Eltain waits with a frozen diadem on his head, looking down at you.

As you enter, he gives a polite nod, before speaking in a firm tone. "For someone whose annual tribute is as late as yours is, Printempest, you certainly took your time getting here. I expect my summons to be answered promptly. Punctuality is a virtue." He chuckles, but there is a harshness, and a threat buried in the laugh.

Without waiting for an answer, Eltain on the dais looks over the group that entered. "This is an odd group you've brought with you Printempest. The song-writer of sigil, a demon hunter, one of our wizards from the material Eltain pauses a moment to nod politely to Pavick. "And...a drow? I'm not certain what your strategy is here, Printempest."

As Eltain speaks on the dais, a small side door opens and a tall, thin winter fey enters with a bundle of parchments. Pausing to bow, he quickly walks to the dais and hands Eltain several sheets of parchments. "The tributes due from the Printempests, my Lord." He mutters, before bowing again and stepping away. As he speaks, you recognize the voice as Toveliss'.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Hm. So are patience, kindness, persistence, and many others. My strategy...? Perhaps you should look towards my goals."

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

From the dais, Eltain looks down, frowning. "I sometimes forget that not everyone had the opportunity to grow up in the Winter Courts as I did, so let me explain this to you." Eltain leans forward, and rests his hand on the hilt of a frozen sword at his side. "The King of Frost is not always kind or patient, but he is fair. If you pay the tribute you agreed to in the terms of your surrender, you can go about your lives mostly uninhibited. And I should take this moment to remind you how fortunate you were that I was set up as archduke over this section of the feywild."

He pauses to motion to the mountains and valley behind him, and you suddenly recognize why it had tugged at your memory. The area below is the region of the feywild that once belonged to the Printempests. Under the rule of the spring lords, it had never seen a blanket of snow until now. Eltain takes a moment to stare at the landscape. "You may not be used to it, but you cannot deny its beauty and peace. Tell me Aramil, do you think you would have received the same treatment had your lands been given to the Bramble Queen as she requested? As long as you continue to meet your end of the treaty, I'll be able to keep you and your family in the good graces of the King of Frost, and you'll have nothing to fear." He places a hand on Aramil's shoulder it what Aramil assumes is supposed to be a comforting gesture. "The snows are better than seeing everything choked by thistle and thorn." He gives an encouraging smile, before looking at the rest of the group.

"Grandmaster...Roslow, isn't it? The mages of the Separch's tower are always welcome, but I am curious as to what brings you here, and in this company. The alliance stands strong, does it not?"

The diademed Eltain turns and extends a hand to Lucan. "And Lucan Thoene! It has been well over a year since I've had the pleasure of your company. What brings you from Sigil into the Empire of Winter?"

Eltain says nothing to Asheroth or Zyrr, but eyes both of them curiously.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Slick pokes his head from Pavick's sleeve. The tiny serpent lets out a loud hiss of displeasure as he sees the false-Eltain. Pavick reaches over to his sleeve, rubbing the back of Slick's head in a calming gesture before tucking him back up his sleeve.

"Yes. I am Grandmaster Roslow. I have very important business that requires me to pass through here, and with such an important moment at hand, I guess I was drawn to these proceedings. I am little but an observer here."

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain hangs back from the others, quietly observing, a gentle sadness written on his features. Were his people truly that far beyond redemption that even he had become a monster raised by his own family? Was there really no hope for his mother, then, if this was what a life lived with her had lead to?

Although for that matter he couldn't figure out what possible chain of circumstances could have lead to him acquiring any sort of power in the first place. He wasn't even a proper fey, still. He walks over to the alternate Toveliss and observes him sadly. Was he still the kind, unaffected warrior Eltain knew here? Or had that spark been extinguished here as well?

He knows none of this is real; doubts even that it would have happened. It was an illusion, after all, designed to challenge him. But gods, did even illusions have to paint the entirety of the winter fey as complete monsters? They might as well be drow, the way the worlds saw them. He had fought so desperately the last year to counter that thinking, to show that there were winter fey who hated the plots and the war, but...

Well, he hadn't gotten anywhere there, either, had he? The majority of the Feywild still saw the Winter Fey as monsters, and despite all their efforts the Snowflower Order still had no allies, no recognition or help among the rest of the Feywild. Even his own friends hadn't checked on him in that year.

And really, could he blame them? Everyone knew the Winter Fey were monsters who couldn't be trusted. And even if he was half human, he was still a Winter Fey to most people. A traitor. A monster. Something to be hated and despised. He tries to stay strong, tries to remind himself that this wasn't real, never could be real, but it isn't even seeing himself as a cruel tyrant that breaks him, just the reminder of his own failures and the continued hatred of his people.

He slides numbly to the floor, silent tears freezing on the floor. It was hopeless. Even his own friends didn't think the winter fey could be redeemed, after all. And this didn't help. He clutches a hand to the tattoo on his face, reminding himself that it didn't matter. This wasn't who he was. Even if the world didn't trust him, even if his own friends didn't trust him after this, Corellon did. His god believed in him. Pavick believed in him too, at the very least. And so did Toveliss. The real one. The one who also proved that there was more in their shared blood than hate and cruelty. The summer and green and spring fey who had chosen to join him in fighting for the soul of the winter lands did too.

No, he could believe in himself. He did believe in himself. And if his failures were truly that great, what was he still fighting for? No. Corellon had said he could think of none better than him to lead the Winter Court after the Prince of Frost had been thwarted. And for the first time, Eltain could see himself as a leader too. Not the tyrant of this illusion, but the one who fought to bring beauty and peace to the worlds. The one whose life had apparently already prevented this, and would continue to keep it from happening. Someday, he supposed, his friends would come to visit him and find him sitting on a throne, but it would be merely a happy reunion, and they would talk and laugh and remember old times, and he would show them the Winter Lands as they should be, a place of joy and peace and sipping hot tea around a roaring fire after a day spent making snow sculptures and sledding.

He smiles and pulls himself together.

"Just once I wish the multiverse wasn't determined to throw all its resources at reminding me how horrible the Winter Fey are and that we're all villains. Especially when it's not even remotely true." His tears stop and a flash of anger moves through him, quickly replaced by determination.

"Hilarious, Mab. Well I refuse to believe it. This isn't me. This never could be me. You want to break me with this? You'll have to try a lot better than that. I know who I am, and it's not this."
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

As Eltain speaks out against Mab, for a brief moment his vision is filled with a pair of glowing violent eyes that stare down at him, sparking with anger. But just as suddenly as they appear, they vanish, and the alternate reality is visible again.

Like Pavick, once Eltain rejects this tyrannical version of himself where he grew up in the Winter Court he was born into, a swirling purple portal opens up just behind the dais.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2013-05-09 at 05:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan looks at the portal and smiles. That was easy. Eltain didn't even need to do anything besides mutter to himself. He grins at the Eltain on the throne. "You want to know why I'm here? Let's just say that I'm an old friend of Aramil's. I'm visiting, but not for long."
    Donald S. Crankshaw

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain raises an eyebrow at the vision.

"No personal disrespect, just not something that makes me doubt myself anymore."

"Let's go, guys. As interesting as this is, we have far more pressing matters. We can discuss this later." He walks towards the false Eltain and stands before him, shaking his head.

"Well. Maybe it's not a good thing to break me with, but oddly enough, Queen Mab's illusion here gives me hope, even if there's pain behind it. Thank you for that, dear lady." He smiles towards where he saw the vision of her angry eyes.

"People can change, be different. I don't believe I'd ever come to this, but certainly I might have been different. The rest of my people can too. Even my mother. Even the Prince of Frost. Someone just needs to show them the way." He reaches out and traces an eight-pointed star on the cheek of the false Eltain with a stick of chalk pulled from a bag at his waist.
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2013-05-07 at 12:04 AM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil paces casually towards the portal. "Out of respect for the man you could have been, here is my tribute: a kingless country is a country still; but a king without subjects rules naught but hills. Think on that when you look upon what you have done to my family's estate while waiting for the last of our coin."
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2013-05-07 at 04:49 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

As you stride into the portal, the diademed Eltain stands tall and stares after you. "Printempest, you know the terms! You know what will happen if you don't pay! Don't let your foolish cause-"

The voice cuts off as the real Eltain steps through the portal, and the world again goes white.

As everything seems to stretch, you once again find yourself traveling down the tree branches. This time, you do not seem to travel very far back.

Once the light dims, you again find yourself accompanied as you walk down a hallway. Rather than the frost giant guards and icy palace from before, now you find yourself led by an older half-orc in unremarkable brown robes through a dimly lit corridor made of rough stone. On either side of the hallway are thick wooden doors are spaced every 10 feet or so, and from behind the doors you hear a mixture of screaming, sobbing, muttering, and occasionally a dull thumping sound as if someone were throwing herself against the doors or walls. In most of the doors, there's a narrow viewing slot, and from a few you can see wild eyes staring out, while from others you see dirty fingers reaching through beckoning to you or trying to claw at you.

It takes a moment to notice that the half-orc is speaking, his tone is so monotone and lifeless it was barely perceivable amongst the wordless shouts and sobs that seem to permeate this place.

"-little to no improvement since you first brought him, but I have noticed that your visits tend to bring him to moments of clarity. Though sometimes, once that clarity fades the outbursts are even more dramatic. Three of our other guests were severely injured during his last outburst, so we've had to move him to an isolated wing. One of them was found burnt to a crisp."

Even as the half-orc speaks of outbursts and creatures being burned alive, his tone still never rises above that dull monotone. As he turns a corner, he pulls out a black key engraved with the logo of the Bleak Cabal, and you quickly realize that you are deep inside the Gatehouse, the insane asylum of Sigil. Taking a look around, you realize that Lucan has taken on the transparent visage that affected first Pavick then Eltain.

As the key turns in the lock, there's another long hallway, completely empty except for one thick adamantine door on the far end. From beyond the adamantine door there is a soul-piercing wail, followed by a roaring so loud that it seems to shake the entire building. The far end of the hallway is scortched and burned, the very stone melted in some places.

The half-orc gives you a blank look, before turning. "I'll be just outside if you need me." He drones, before closing the door where he entered with a dull click.

As the half-orc leaves, a small plate on the front of the adamantine door slides open, and a pair of eyes that seem to flicker and burn stare out at you. "Pavick, Eltain is that you? Ah, and Aramil and Zyrr and Asheroth! You've all come for me! Are you finally going to break me out of here?" It's Lucan's voice coming from the other side of the door, but there's an intensity to it you've never heard before.

"Thank goodness, I was starting to worry tha-...yes comrade, yes, I'm going to ask that. Well, if you'll just give me a moment, I'll try and find out if-...ok, wait, I can't listen to you both at once, so just hold on one moment dear until I'm done speaking with comrade-" Lucan's voice buzzes off in conversation, yet in the silences none you can hear anything coming from the cell.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick brow creases with concern. He'd always known Lucan could be a little off from center at times, but insane enough to be locked away? Who wasn't a little nutty at times? Lucan was no more so than anyone else... well at least not much more than anyone else.

"Yes, Lucan it's us, friend. It has been too long; tell me how you've been. And what is it you want to ask? You know anything it is within my power to do I will. It's not just anyone who would go to the ends of the astral sea to help you rescue your father. Er... we did do that, didn't we?"

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

"This is bad, comrade Lucan," Yuri says. "This could still happen."

"I hate to admit it, but Yuri's right," Lena says, fluttering around Lucan's head. "You have been acting a bit . . . off, lately."

"Is that . . . is that what I sound like when I talk to you?" Lucan asks Lena and Yuri.

"Sort of. But we're really here," Lena says.

"But you're not there with him, are you?" Lucan says. "You're not transparent, so there aren't two of you two. I think. So he just thinks you're there. And if he's imagining you, how do I know that I'm not imagining you?" He turns to Pavick. "You can see them, right?" He gestures to Lena and Yuri. "But, how do I know that you're real?"
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2013-05-08 at 09:28 AM.
    Donald S. Crankshaw

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil reaches for real-Lucan's shoulder, and points at the melted stone, with a look that says "I'm concerned. You should probably explain this."

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Lucan gives a slightly too-loud laugh. "How have I been? You lock me up in this place, and have the nerve TO ASK ME HOW I'VE BEEN?!??" His voice rises sharply at the end, back to almost a roar, and you see a dim glow coming from within the room, as if someone had lit a torch. A moment later, the glow vanishes, and you can again see Lucan's eyes. "I...I'm sorry Pavick, I didn't mean to shout. I haven't been sleeping well lately. The dreams are getting worse, and I can't get comfortable at night."

Lucan's voice suddenly drops to a whisper. "Wait...do you have any gold with you? Or gems? I would sleep so much better if I could just get some gold on my mattress." His eyes dart to the ruby sheath at Aramil's side, and he licks his lips hungrily.

As the imprisoned Lucan focuses on Pavick and Aramil, the transparent Lucan begins feeling that same small tug, as if there was a hook on the inside of his stomach, pulling him towards the door. As real-Lucan pauses to question Pavick and Lena about whether or not they're real, That small tug becomes a jerk that sends transparent Lucan stumbling a few feet down the hall towards the door. You're able to get your feet under you quickly, but there's now a strong pull, trying to drag you towards the door where the crazed Lucan sits locked away.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2013-05-08 at 05:40 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick looks up at the crazed Lucan. "Are you sure that encouraging these dragon ideas is really the best thing you can do? You know your father. You know your mother. I never met your mother, but you've always spoken so highly of her. And your father, he's an okay chap in his own way, but neither of them is a dragon. So how would you be? Its probably best if avoid adding more fuel to this."

Pavick turns to the transparent Lucan and says in a whisper. "Come now, of course I'm real. And so are your Yuri and Lena. I'm an illusionist. Master of the real and imagined. Who would know better than me what is and isn't real. Even the other you admits I'm real. Who could you trust more than yourself?"

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf Bard

"Right. Yes. You're right," Lucan says as his feet bring him closer and closer to his alternate, responding to the magnetic pull almost of their own accord. "I'm real. You're real. Yuri and Lena are real." He straightens and looks himself in his eyes. "But you're wrong too, Pavick. The dragon is real. I hear it." He taps himself on his temple. "Here."

"Yesss . . ." the voice in his head hisses.

He searches his double's wild eyes. "What do you hear, I wonder?" he says, but this time he's speaking Draconic, though he doesn't seem to realize it. Lucan reaches out, his hand drawn by that invisible force, and touches his two fingers to the side of his double's head.
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2013-05-08 at 10:09 PM.
    Donald S. Crankshaw

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Lucan... I need to know that you can control this. Or at least, that you want to learn to control it. I can't let it control you."

27. - Top - End - #237

Planetar

Pavick and now Lucan had been visibly drawn--violently, in Lucan's case--toward their alternates. He wondered what it felt like and how hard the pull would be when it was his turn. "Sometimes the only way to combat the beast within is to know the beast. I should know this better than anyone. Though we must protect our friend, this knowledge can help Lucan avert this fate." Ash spreads his arms to bar those behind him from stopping Lucan. "Stand back, and be ready to bring him back to the truth. He will need us now more than ever." He calls out to both Lucans, "Do you hear me, Lucan? You must not let the beast control you! Remember the Avatar of Melora's words! We are here for you; to help you through this! Do not allow this life to imprison you! Control the beast and free yourself!"
    "How could a man go through life with so little? Nothing of permanence, nothing built up to leave behind him. Nothing to testify to his existence at all. The kind of man who isn't focused on his own existence, I guess. The kind of man who cares more about others than he does himself..."--Harry Dresden, from Ghost Story

Nosce te ipsum

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

As Lucan reaches out and makes contact with this alternate version of himself, his fingers suddenly become solid, and a torrent of pain flows through both the real Lucan and the imprisoned Lucan.

Attack vs. Lucan's Will (1d20+25)[29]

For a brief, painful moment, Lucan can feel himself getting sucked into his counterpart in this reality, and can feel the chaos of this other Lucan's mind begin flowing into his own. Lucan's reality begins to cloud, and it feels as if unknown rivers that once flowed so smoothly begin flooding over their banks and mixing with one another.

Both Lucan's open their mouths, and a deep rumble issues forth, that same voice that had been in the back of Lucan's thoughts as of late. "Yesss...the time has come..."

Pulling his hand back is one of the hardest things Lucan has ever done, as if he were breaking apart two pieces of steel that had been welded together by a master blacksmith.

Both Lucan's fall back with a gasp, breathing heavily. In the prison, the other Lucan also sucks in air, but immediately jumps on his feet and reaches his hand as far as he can through the thin slot in the door, screaming. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME!?" he roars in a deep, ancient voice. A moment later he calms down, slightly, and his eyes dart back and forth staring at the five of you that he can see.

"Is this your doing, Eltain? You've always been jealous, admit it! Now you've found some new way to torture me! Or you..." he gaze narrows on Asheroth. "Everything was fine until you showed up! What are you even doing here? You don't know me! Everything was fine until you showed up, and just decided you were one of us! You weren't there, you didn't go into the jungle with us, or fight the beholder. You don't even know the Shepherd or his dog!" This last one strikes you all as odd, because you definitely don't remember the Shepherd ever having a dog. Actually, even your memories of Shep seem to be a bit...fuzzy.

There's little time to think on it, as the alternate Lucan is again starting to fly into a rage, and you've noticed that the air seems to be growing significantly warmer in this hallway.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2013-05-09 at 11:54 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239

Planetar

Asheroth makes a mental note that touching his alternate self would probably be a bad thing. He steps forward and speaks toward the "dragon" Lucan, but addressing the real Lucan, "You are correct, I was not there from the beginning, but I do know you. You and I are similar. We both struggle with a force inside that will consume us if we are not vigilant. This raging, greedy and ferocious thing is not you! Just as the devil inside me is not me. Look at me. I somehow grew wings after I fell from Senaliesse. I take that as a sign that our intrinsic natures can change, and that we can alter the course of our destinies if we so wish."

He glances at ghost Lucan and gives a faint smile.

Nosce te ipsum

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain remains silent at the accusations, his own worries consuming him. Jealous? He had been a little, at one point, but mostly now he didn't care. He had Toveliss, and his friends, and that was his family, such as it was, but... He frowns. Both Pavick and Lucan seemed to have felt some sort of pull towards their alternates, one he hadn't experienced. Even going right up to his and sketching Corellon's symbol on his face had produced no reaction in either himself or the illusion. Was it because he was so different from that version as to be completely someone else? Or was it because he was so much the same that he was already... He tries to shake off the doubts, but they remain, eating at him.

"Lucan. You... Need to come to terms with this, and rather quickly."