New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Light blade requirement

I have noticed that most rogue powers require the character to be wielding a light blade, but nowhere does it say that the attack must be with the dagger. Therefore, is it possible to wield a waraxe in one hand, and a dagger in the other (or parrying dagger if you don't mind using a feat)?
    I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two-handed martial reach weapon. I do d10 weapon dice, weigh 12 pounds, and belong to the Axe group.

Many, many thanks to kpenguin for the amazing avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Light blade requirement

This has been an argument in many threads. I don't think you can. Because if you could then this feat
    Spoiler
    Show
    Versatile Duelist
    Heroic Tier
    Prerequisite: Rogue
    Benefit: You gain proficiency with all one-handed, military heavy blades. If a rogue power requires you to wield a light blade, you can use that power with a one-handed heavy blade and can also deal your Sneak Attack damage while using a one-handed heavy blade with that power.
    would be useless.
    Last edited by Silma; 2012-11-17 at 06:46 PM.
    Awesome avatar created by Ceika!!!! Thank you.

In D&D 3.5 I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Good Human Druid/Sorcerer (1st/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 10
    Dexterity- 10
    Constitution- 11
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 16
    Charisma- 13

In D&D 4e I am a Chaotic Good Eladrin Bladesinger. Yep, simple as that. No test, at all. I just am.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nope. Rogue attacks require you to use small weapons, because otherwise you break Sneak Attack! Certain feats exist to help you out a bit. I ran a dwarf rogue with Tunnel Stalker recently.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

"Wield" means to use it for the attack - not to hold it in your off-hand while you attack with something else.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    "Wield" means to use it for the attack - not to hold it in your off-hand while you attack with something else.
    In his defense, no, "wield" is not that well-defined in the game.

6. - Top - End - #6

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by vasharanpaladin View Post
    In his defense, no, "wield" is not that well-defined in the game.
    But it HAS been well defined by Customer service and FAQs. All questions directed at Wizards regarding this have come back as: In a power block, Wield means using in the attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfang108 View Post
    But it HAS been well defined by Customer service and FAQs. All questions directed at Wizards regarding this have come back as: In a power block, Wield means using in the attack.
    CustServ isn't to be considered a valid argument; you can ask the same question twice and get three different answers. The point is, it is implied that there is no difference between "you must be wielding a light blade" and "you must make this attack with a light blade," but as written the actual word "wield" tends to mean something along the lines of "must be holding in one hand" lately.

So no, not his fault for getting confused when Wootsie waffles on it a bit themselves. Kinduva pain, that.

8. - Top - End - #8

MindFlayer

CustServ isn't to be considered a valid argument; you can ask the same question twice and get three different answers. The point is, it is implied that there is no difference between "you must be wielding a light blade" and "you must make this attack with a light blade," but as written the actual word "wield" tends to mean something along the lines of "must be holding in one hand" lately.

So no, not his fault for getting confused when Wootsie waffles on it a bit themselves. Kinduva pain, that.
    The actual word in English has one meaning.

The word IN TERMS OF POWER BLOCKS has another meaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfang108 View Post
    The actual word in English has one meaning.

The word IN TERMS OF POWER BLOCKS has another meaning.
    Yes, that. I'm glad one of us is on the ball.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

CustServ isn't to be considered a valid argument; you can ask the same question twice and get three different answers.
    Maybe so, but neither is it a valid argument that if two powers use slightly different language, they must therefore mean something else entirely. I'll grant that 4E is the only game where you can roll damage without having a damage roll, but that doesn't mean that the designers intended a functional difference between "moving into" and "entering" when those are synonyms in a dictionary (and no, there isn't; WOTC has specifically confirmed this).

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

11. - Top - End - #11

Maybe so, but neither is it a valid argument that if two powers use slightly different language, they must therefore mean something else entirely. I'll grant that 4E is the only game where you can roll damage without having a damage roll, but that doesn't mean that the designers intended a functional difference between "moving into" and "entering" when those are synonyms in a dictionary (and no, there isn't; WOTC has specifically confirmed this).
    Heh, try reading some of the CharOp handbooks, you'll have a blast. The current assassin handbook, in particular, argues that one encounter power can deal up to 6[w]+3*Dex damage based on use of the word "and," among other things.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Heh, try reading some of the CharOp handbooks, you'll have a blast. The current assassin handbook, in particular, argues that one encounter power can deal up to 6[w]+3*Dex damage based on use of the word "and," among other things.
    Yeah, on the WOTC forums, the term RAW seems to mean "any obscure interpretation of the rulebooks that makes my character more powerful"

13. - Top - End - #13

Yeah, on the WOTC forums, the term RAW seems to mean "any obscure interpretation of the rulebooks that makes my character more powerful"
    Hey, at least it's justified in the assassin's case! That one needs all the help it can get!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Halberd View Post
    I have noticed that most rogue powers require the character to be wielding a light blade, but nowhere does it say that the attack must be with the dagger. Therefore, is it possible to wield a waraxe in one hand, and a dagger in the other (or parrying dagger if you don't mind using a feat)?
    It is possible to be wielding a light blade in one hand and your waraxe in the other, but any power used which specifies being used with the light blade must be made with the equipped light blade, not the axe.