Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Skyrim Thread VI: Dov Riders, AWAAAAYYYYY!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim Thread VI: Dov Riders, AWAAAAYYYYY!

Double posting so as to keep my replies separate from the original

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Edit: For a thief build... is Janessa the best companion? I like the crazy murdering artisan (although I tend to get images of her drawing with her victim's blood or arrange their intestines in artistic ways every time she calls her killing "art"). With my orc rogue I actually used Mjoll for most of the game, and that worked in the same way that using say Charon in FA3 works: The enemy spotted HER immediately and failed to see me. This time I want to see if I can avoid having EITHER me or my follower discovered...
    I've honestly found that there are NO good followers for stealth characters. But then, I have no idea who Janessa is, though a quick lookup shows that she's in a building I've never entered.

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    I have fallen in love with another mod. Psijic Teleport. Shadowstep and Dance let you jump behind an opponent, so you don't have to rush the enemy archers, just pop up behind them and axe them to stop.

But that's secondary to becoming NIGHTCRAWLER. If I can see it, I can probably reach it.

But beyond the sequence breaking, (I used it to climb to the Throat of the World from Riverwood), it's the sheer utility and mobility of it. Tired of climbing those spiral stairs all the time? Look at the wall at the top, tap the button and appear at the top. Playing non-dragon born and want treasure that should require Whirlwind Sprint? Blink across, then back. Don't think you can survive a fall? Blink down instead. Miss a jump and about to fall to your doom? Blink to safety even in mid-air. Reach the ledge with the switch to advance by the long, monster filled route? No thank you.

I just can't gush enough about this mod.
    This mod (conjuration variant) has just been installed (along with Calyps Razor Armor and Bound Weapons Redux) for a playthrough where I literally try to be Nightcrawler.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

There are not a lot of stealthy followers.

Jenasa is dead easy to recruit, but she's a dark elf, and dark elves of either gender are downright ugly without mods.

Aela should be the superior to Jenasa, but her insistence on wearing that ancient nord armor ruins the effect until you can coax her into something lighter (but with higher defense). She also requires you to complete the Companions arc, so she isn't easy to get.

Cicero and the Dark Brotherhood Apprentices are all good sneaks, unsurprisingly. Cicero in particular is quite amusing. The Apprentices, on the other hand, have next to zero personality but also no level cap, making them absolute powerhouses in the endgame. All three require you complete the Dark Brotherhood arc, which is something not everyone is prepared to do.

Serana is a very good sneak, but she isn't an archer and lacks the quiet casting perk from the illusion tree. As I said before, however, she's also essential and is a pretty solid all-arounder.

Faendal's more archery than stealth, but he's REALLY easy to recruit and can get you to 50 archery extremely easily.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post

Jenasa is dead easy to recruit, but she's a dark elf, and dark elves of either gender are downright ugly without mods.

Aela should be the superior to Jenasa, but her insistence on wearing that ancient nord armor ruins the effect until you can coax her into something lighter (but with higher defense). She also requires you to complete the Companions arc, so she isn't easy to get.

Cicero and the Dark Brotherhood Apprentices are all good sneaks, unsurprisingly. Cicero in particular is quite amusing. The Apprentices, on the other hand, have next to zero personality but also no level cap, making them absolute powerhouses in the endgame. All three require you complete the Dark Brotherhood arc, which is something not everyone is prepared to do.

Serana is a very good sneak, but she isn't an archer and lacks the quiet casting perk from the illusion tree. As I said before, however, she's also essential and is a pretty solid all-arounder.

Faendal's more archery than stealth, but he's REALLY easy to recruit and can get you to 50 archery extremely easily.
    Looks only matter to me if I A) want to marry the girl or B) is playing that race. Jenasa (or however she spells her name) is the only dual-wielder in the game, and is damn good at it. She is also a good archer and has good stealth. Her attitude is a little scary (she basically says she would go on a killing spree if not because she wants people alive to admire her artwork (dead bodies))... She also has a morality of 0 which means she won't object to stealing, murder or extortion. Handy for a girl that has her eye on the top spot in the thieves guild...

Aela is a lot of things. Sexy. Deadly. A pure-bread norse B...h (no pun intended, as we all know she really is one). If I was to do the Companions questline I would pick her, but since my character has no interest in it and I try to roleplay...

I won't do the dark brotherhood. I am an murderer and a thief, not an assassin. A girl has to have some morals (my character only murders people who's death benefits her a great deal in the long run, pissess her off enough, or to help innocents). Also, the way the recruitment mission goes... Astrid will die in a lot of pain.

Serana? Remind me... a mage I assume? Who is she and where can I find her?
    Also, thanks to AFT all followers become essential by default.

I started with Faendal, as I usually do. I switched him for Jenasa as soon as I got to Witherun though.

Now... who will I marry, I wonder. Jenasa looks good for a dark elf; and she is not that short (reaches my girl to the shoulder). Also sexy in a passive-agressive kind of way .

Btw when did they implement different sizes for different races? Or is that a mod again? My girl (the high elf) is definitely taller than even the nord men now. Faendal reachers her to her boobs.

Also.... Dawnguard. At what level?
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-11-27 at 02:28 AM.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

I've done dawnguard at level 10 before, and it wasn't that awful. I prefered it at level 20-30, however.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    I've done dawnguard at level 10 before, and it wasn't that awful. I prefered it at level 20-30, however.
    Thanks. I think I will return from Solitude now to Riften, give my information to Mr Bastard about who tries to sabotage his operations, then do the main quest until I get Fus Roh Dah (the only shout I have so far is Fus).

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

You can actually start Dawnguard at level 1. It's hilarious.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    You can actually start Dawnguard at level 1. It's hilarious.
    Will NPCs laugh WITH me or AT me?

I am lvl 16 at the moment, so that ship has sailed

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

It's hilarious in the "oh god, oh god, oh god" way.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    It's hilarious in the "oh god, oh god, oh god" way.
    Isn't this what level 1 is like normally? This may however be because I'm using a ton of mods with balance changes and such in, but even that mine right after you've escaped had me quicksaving and loading a bunch of times after I got slaughtered by single bandits.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Could be that, could be just Skyrim. Depends on what sort of character you're playing.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Part of me feels bad for the bad guy in Dragonborn because I'm going to want to play it with my high level thief archer. Hope it can still provide some challenge.
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

New thread? Check.

Carry on, don't mind me...
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Serana is the primary player in the Dawnguard questline and one of my favorites. The girl likes one handed weapons, frost magic, and necromancy - particularly the last one, as she makes a point of having a zombie of some form at all times. Her casting isn't quiet, but she's very good at stealth. She joins you whether you side with the Dawnguard or the vampires. She's a great character, but not a romance option.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    My problem with stealthy followers isn't their skill set, it's their junktastic AI, where the minute they detect hostile opponents, they abandon all pretense of sneaking around and bellow their way into the breach. If you're a sneaky character, ditch the followers, use them only as a caddy if you need to haul a bunch of heavy stuff. It's all they're fit for.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    My problem with stealthy followers isn't their skill set, it's their junktastic AI, where the minute they detect hostile opponents, they abandon all pretense of sneaking around and bellow their way into the breach. If you're a sneaky character, ditch the followers, use them only as a caddy if you need to haul a bunch of heavy stuff. It's all they're fit for.
    Maybe it's UFO but I don't have much trouble on that front anymore. Oh, sure once the fight's on, it's on, but they aren't the ones that start the fight.

Of course, I play a slightly different way. I amass a party, base them in my house, and then take the appropriate allies for whatever mission I'm setting out on. Stealth? Just me, maybe Serana. Typical dungeon diving? Me, Serana, and maybe a third with a fitting skill set. Dragon hunting or civil war? We all show up.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur View Post
    Part of me feels bad for the bad guy in Dragonborn because I'm going to want to play it with my high level thief archer. Hope it can still provide some challenge.
    A challenge for a high-level, sneaky archer? I'm not sure if anything else could survive that ;)
    Last edited by Divayth Fyr; 2012-11-27 at 04:16 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

First Dragonborn: Fus Ro Daaarrghh! My knee! Seriously? For crying out loud, people, that joke was old when I was still alive!
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Damn it's hard not obsessing over optimizing this and training that... I am playing this character as if this was a "blind" play* meaning not really planning ahaead on perks but picking them as I get them and not saving them. The only real plan I have is a general outlook for character type, and every second point in health, every second in magica (I am an archer, I do not use stamina).

Edit: I think I have decided who to marry... I really like Brelyna. I haven't been to the college yet (I will do that whole questline after getting Fus Roh Dah). She's just so damn cute. I love her voice!

On the other hand... WHY can't we marry Rikke? That woman is awesome.

*With certain obvious exceptions: I will not, for example, investigate the haunted house in Markarth.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-11-28 at 04:30 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Armin View Post
    To be honest, I'm one of the only people I know who like the Markarth house a lot better than the other houses. :)
    *Raises Hand* Vlindrel Hall is my favorite house!
    It feels set up so smartly, with plenty of storage space without being too crazy. Markarth is also a good city locale since it has a smelter and full forge services.

I replaced UFO with AFT. Better, IMHO. Also this is still maintained; the guy behind UFO has not been showing himself on the nexus for ages, and it turns out his mod doesn't work on Hearthfire houscarls.
    AFT you say? Does it work with NPCs created with custom voicesets?
    Ever since the 1.8 update to Skyrim my custom voiceset NPCs stopped working correctly with UFO. I need to switch to something that wil play along with the NPCs I'm creating.
    I'll go check it out now...
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

I replaced UFO with AFT. Better, IMHO. Also this is still maintained; the guy behind UFO has not been showing himself on the nexus for ages, and it turns out his mod doesn't work on Hearthfire houscarls.
    Not to argue with you, but there has been a modmod released by folks that make UFO work with the Hearthfire housecarls.

I prefer AFT as well.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

With certain obvious exceptions: I will not, for example, investigate the haunted house in Markarth.

I hate everything markarth has to offer:
    A stupid questline: and by stupid i mean well obvious.
    Bad daedric quests: Cannibalisem AND the deadric lord of S&M? aw hell naw!

The only thing i love about markarth is that it is fun to fight the guards there.
    Avatar by me auld friend and DM CoffeeIncluded
    Shqipper supreme. Purple Watchmaker of Light. Master class Thinkamancer. Infected with Rash Plague. 21st century's Charlmagne.
    Erudite Dudebro. King in Yellow. Level 20 Omnistalt everything. Prince of Void. 'The Fox'. Perched upon the very crucifex of Oblivion.
    Anxioused Aghast. Multipurpose Master at arms. Not a Vampire. Disaster Master: Shademaster. 10/10 on Auto. Punchbeef. Here comes a beautiful boy.

23. - Top - End - #23

I have a hate/grudging acceptance opinion of Markarth. Honestly, I rather like Molag Bal's quest, but the cannibal thing is stupid. I dispise the quest that starts upon entering the city. I kill the guy, save the girl, then disable the quest monkey.

I LOVE Sanguine's quest, which really starts in Markarth, but I dislike the actual Reach area. I enjoy sneaking into the temple to jack the statue.

As much as I dislike Markarth, I really, really love the two guaranteed Thieves Guild quests. The Special Request is my favorite of the four.

Blinking around Markarth is way more fun than it has any right to be.

---

Came to an awesome realization. The light beams in Meridia's Temple are considered magic. Meaning my Atronach stone power ABSORBS them. Going from no magicka to the full 433 in just a second or two is AWESOME.
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2012-11-28 at 07:08 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I have decided to get Bound Bow after all. It is simply too powerful in early and mid game to not to, and it is very practical. Anyway, that requires some magic training...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Hey quick question: Can someone spoil the civil war negotiations for me? Is it worth to go through it? I have never done it, I I have simply sided with one party and killed the opponents every time.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Civil War negotiations is good if you want to do the main quest before doing the war. Isn't that difficult, just lots of running around. Probably an idea to once just to see it, but it isn't essential and I personally go for the "finish civil war before negotiations quest pops up" methodology.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

27. - Top - End - #27
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    I have a hate/grudging acceptance opinion of Markarth.
    I don't disagree that the daedra quests are pretty meh in Markarth.

Despite being buggy, I did enjoy the Forsworn Conspiracy quest. Fighting that one old guy in his home was pretty hilarious as I got chased around the table like a Benny Hill skit, but the real adrenaline rush was brawling my way through the prison and then escaping on my own with nothing but my wits and a pair of bracers.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

28. - Top - End - #28

It's not really. No matter what I do, everyone is angry at me, so it's not worth worrying about.

I'd like to be good enough to mod it so the Dovahkiin can give a speech along the lines of:

'Shut up you idiots. Dragons are trying to murder us all, and then destroy the world and I can't stop them because you won't quit bickering like little children for the ten minutes I need to hold a dragon. You will make a truce for no concessions other than not ending up a greasy stain on the floor of High Hrothgar.'

You know, something subtle like that. Perhaps punctuated by a piece of ceiling falling.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of nothing in particular... In addition to wishing I could marry Rikke, I would have loved to have Karliah and Irileth as potential wives too!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Speaking of nothing in particular... In addition to wishing I could marry Rikke, I would have loved to have Karliah and Irileth as potential wives too!
    There is a mod for Karliah, as I recall. Can't look it up right now, but I know it was there. Called Lonely Karliah or something.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.