Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Horses vs. Rhinos

Well you've made it pass my title you must have some interest.

The fact of the matter is that I'm building a world and there's a part of the world where the people are very ancient so they stick to old types of farming and such. It occurred to me that I could put a bit of a spin on it and I decided that since they live in a savannah type area they could be using rhinos instead of horses. Rhinos are stronger, tougher and intimidating and since they're downright blind they could be trained to follow something that smells nice. Does that sound right though? Are horses or rhinos better?

Keep in mind that for the more mountainous terrains they ride camels not horses or rhinos.
    This is horrifying beyond anything Lovecraft ever wrote or Giger ever drew.

MCulpa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVopG...el_video_title
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192558

(Screw the point)-Doomboy911

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Horses vs. Rhinos

I would think rhinos wouldn't be nearly as quick and maneuverable on practical scale as most horses...

Could be probably still great as work-horses, if someone managed to attack plough, cart or whatever to them...
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2012-11-28 at 10:19 AM.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

You might want to be careful about that.

Rhinos are fairly stupid (dumber than a horse, and that's saying quite a bit actually), near sighted, and mean. They don't really take well to domestication.

Oxen/wildabeast are probably a better bet.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Mmm, an attack plough — that's an interesting concept — kind of like plough shares into swords

Anyway Rhino's:
    The standard animal used for this job was an oxen. Horses are more expensive and have other uses, but obviously were also used.

IRL Rhinos are aggressive and hard to train — AFAIK they have never been domesticated.

But in a fantasy world — why not.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

As nedz said, rhino's haven't been domesticated, but I'm pretty sure no human civilization has ever stuck to trying for very long because of the rhino's being so aggressive.
    If you spun it that these ones had been bred in captivity, like the hundreds of generations before them, that they have become quite dosile with the tribesmen but will still attack any strangers that come too close.

Personally, I think it's a pretty cool idea.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Keep in mind that domesticated rhinos (which have never happened in real life) would radically change mounted warfare. Most counter cavalry methods rely on the fearful nature of horses and their relative fragility when compared to a heavily armoured knight.

According to a cursory googling a horses top speed is ca. 55, while that of a rhinocerus is 40. Since rhinos are much more sturdy and (presumable) more likely to actually hammer a charge home than a horse, compared to horse-cavalry rhino-mounted heavy cavalry would be slightly slower, but without any of the weaknesses regarding spears and archers.
    If my posts contain any grammar mistakes please inform me about it.
    This is not sarcasm, if you're wondering

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I think Warcraft did something like that? Koppa beasts? Kopter beasts? Something like that.

Anywho, rhino-mounted Bronze Age cavalry sounds badass. The aggressive nature of rhinos would make for excellent prose regarding the achievements of this civilization.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Also remember that rhinos are at least as easily frightened as horses, but if you startle a horse it will run away from you; scare a rhino and it runs at you.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Rule of cool says, pssshya, go for it.

Rule of husbandry says r u nuts?

But seriously just invent an excuse like the suggestion for a few generations of captive breeding and go for it. Retain a few unfriendly quirks to keep them interesting.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2012-11-28 at 12:03 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Not that you shouldn't do it... especially when you consider magic in the equation (the spell "Animal Friendship", replaced in 3.5 by the Animal Companion ability of druids, would go far), but there's a number of good reasons rhinos weren't prime domestication targets.

One that hasn't been mentioned is that rhinos aren't really sociable. Even in the wild, with each other, they're like Mogo, and Mogo doesn't socialize. Elephants? Sure, elephants socialize all the time, and we've been able to socialize with them. For most creatures we've really domesticated, we rely on their social nature. We make dogs part of our pack. We make horses and cattle part of our herd. We make cats part of our pantheon (about the only way they'll have us)*. We make use of their social nature to insert them into our social groups, and us into theirs.

So I'd be less surprised by giraffe cavalry than rhinos as beasts of burden.

*Something that made me laugh out loud yesterday was a picture of several Red Lanterns... and one of them looked like a domestic cat. In LotRO, I refer to my Loremaster's wildcat companion as a "furry little hate missile."
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Not that you shouldn't do it... especially when you consider magic in the equation (the spell "Animal Friendship", replaced in 3.5 by the Animal Companion ability of druids, would go far), but there's a number of good reasons rhinos weren't prime domestication targets.

One that hasn't been mentioned is that rhinos aren't really sociable. Even in the wild, with each other, they're like Mogo, and Mogo doesn't socialize. Elephants? Sure, elephants socialize all the time, and we've been able to socialize with them. For most creatures we've really domesticated, we rely on their social nature. We make dogs part of our pack. We make horses and cattle part of our herd. We make cats part of our pantheon (about the only way they'll have us)*. We make use of their social nature to insert them into our social groups, and us into theirs.

So I'd be less surprised by giraffe cavalry than rhinos as beasts of burden.

*Something that made me laugh out loud yesterday was a picture of several Red Lanterns... and one of them looked like a domestic cat. In LotRO, I refer to my Loremaster's wildcat companion as a "furry little hate missile."
    What he said. Yeah, in terms of realism, it's a non-starter. Rhinos and Humans aren't going to get along.

But in terms of magic and a game world, it's really a nifty idea. Rhinos being used in place of oxen and destriers in cavalry charges. But don't stop there. Giraffe as riding/courier animals when you need to get there quickly. Or as scouts. Hippos or crocs as psychotic door wardens (hippos especially, actually, are insanely aggressive towards just about anything). Go hog wild!
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

honestly if your going to train big animals for cavalry go elephant they are still incredibly hard to control on the battle field and you cant breed them in captivity but its still a lot easier then rhinos and anything a rhino can do an elephant can do better.

(like others have said this is from a practical real world perspective from a dnd perspective where a wolverine is easier to domesticate then a cow go for it.)

edit if i recall correctly that red lantern dosent just look like a cat it is a cat
    Last edited by awa; 2012-11-28 at 03:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    For the record: that Lantern is Dex-Starr, and he IS a common, domestic, household, Earth cat. He was adopted by a kind old lady who called him Dexter (notice the similarities? yeah), who was then killed by a burglar who broke into her house. Dexter then lived on the streets for a while, until two dumbasses decided to put him in a bag and throw him into the river just to see how long it'd take him to drown.

Cue "Dexter of Earth, you have shown the ability to possess great rage - welcome to the red lantern corps." The dumbasses didn't fare so well (but they DID find out how someone can be in multiple pie, I mean places, at the same time). He then began hunting the burglar who killed his former owner. Since I get the comics with a severe delay, I have no idea if he's found him yet.

So, yes. One of the most badass characters in all the multi-hued Corps combined is an Earth housecat.

Dex-Starr: for when you need housecats to kill more than commoners.
    Morituri nolumus morit - We who are about to die... don't want to

"BUT, LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPERMAN." - Death, "Reaperman"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

I think to compare horses and rhinos slightly relevant, it's like comparing a motorcycle tank. Tasks and functions of these animals are different, as the horse is said above is agile animal, and the rhino is a tool break defensive lines!

15. - Top - End - #15

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

To be fair, one of the places in my Exalted game has domesticated rhinos, but that's because the tribes in the area are descended from a leader who made a pact with a rhino-god in the past; thanks to his divine influence, rhinoceros are outright tame - at least with regard to the locals.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2012-11-29 at 05:15 PM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

17. - Top - End - #17

San Diego Wild Animal Park has a decent number of white rhinos. When I took the tour the females hung out together in small groups of 3 or 4 while the males were always alone. Also the female groups would come up to the tour bus and mooch for apples while the males stayed a distance away.

So perhaps this civilization would have better luck using the females as work animals and mounts since they appear to be more social and only keeping around a few males for breeding stock.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm trying to double-check on this; I'll get back with a more concrete link if I manage to lock down a reliable source on territory size and migration.

As far as I know, rhinos are not very good at long distance travel or even working hard for a decent amount of time. A horse or camel can go for miles or pull a plough all day, but a rhino runs out of steam very quickly. They're more like sumo-wrestlers; not marathon runners.
    If the enemy is kind enough to show up at your castle/rhino-breeding center, then sure you can probably run right over him. But good luck getting them to move anywhere if the battle doesn't take place right at your doorstep.

That being said, in terms of fantasy gameplay I wouldn't think that a rhino as a mount would be any less believable than a wolf, lion, giant spider, or lizard, all of which show up in various works of fiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

19. - Top - End - #19

OldWizardGuy

Forget Rhinos, what you really want is BEARS.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

As fantastic as bears are (seriously there's another part of the world where I'll try to get polars bears) I'm dealing with a savanah type area where the mounts people will be using is rhinos (mounted combat) camels (for the long travels when speed isn't the goal just reliably and cheaply getting there) giraffes and ostriches (scout travel and message delivery probably ostrich for cities and such ) elephants (for the big big cargo or lots of people) water buffalo (for the plow horses) hippos (for water travel) and big cats (why not riding a lion, panther or tiger (shush) is always awesome). Than for the fantasy bits painted dogs the size of lions and gators three times bigger than they usually are for ferrying boats.

Tell me does this sound cool or does this sound lame?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

It sounds good — but change the Horses for Zebra, or at least Quagga.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Warped Druid Handbook

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Doomboy911 View Post
    As fantastic as bears are (seriously there's another part of the world where I'll try to get polars bears) I'm dealing with a savanah type area where the mounts people will be using is rhinos (mounted combat) camels (for the long travels when speed isn't the goal just reliably and cheaply getting there) giraffes and ostriches (scout travel and message delivery probably ostrich for cities and such ) elephants (for the big big cargo or lots of people) water buffalo (for the plow horses) hippos (for water travel) and big cats (why not riding a lion, panther or tiger (shush) is always awesome). Than for the fantasy bits painted dogs the size of lions and gators three times bigger than they usually are for ferrying boats.

Tell me does this sound cool or does this sound lame?
    It sounds cool. Although, it might be a bit of a case of "everything and the kitchen sink" :)

23. - Top - End - #23

If you have the idea that men have domesticated and bred Rhino for domestic and warfare use in the past thousand years, I don't see why you couldn't make an "adapted" rhino that is more adapted to service us. Some that are more resilient to extended work and are more dociles.

Kinda like Dogs are to Wolves. Or Pigs are to Boars. Cows are to Buffalos.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Domestic cows aren’t that similar to buffalo certainly not the ways dogs are to wolves.

Aurochs were wild cows.

For a fantasy setting where people ride giant spiders a domesticated rhino would be simple. In the real world domesticating rhinos would be insanely difficult as others have mentioned almost all domestic animals are ones with strong social orders we can insert ourselves into.

25. - Top - End - #25

Kobold

Wait, wait - you're worried about the realism of tame rhinos and you want to tame HIPPOS?

You DO know that hippos are the single meanest, orneriest, most savage beasts in the world, right? It literally takes a smaller dose of tranquiliser to knock out anything else than a hippo, including rhinos and elephants, which have them beat in the weight category. When they open their mouths? That's not a yawn. That's a "here, look at these teeth and imagine what would happen should I bite down on you. That's right buddy, stay waaaay over there." They're also one of the very few animals that will fight to the actual death amongst themselves.
    Morituri nolumus morit - We who are about to die... don't want to

"BUT, LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPERMAN." - Death, "Reaperman"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Perhaps pygmy hippos they're less aggressive.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Nope — Full Metal Hippo Marines
    They just need the Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu feat, or similar*.
    Pigmy Hippos are strictly for training purposes.

Or Druid, obviously.

* I'm not sure what is similar to this feat, but there probably is something.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JBento View Post
    Wait, wait - you're worried about the realism of tame rhinos and you want to tame HIPPOS?

You DO know that hippos are the single meanest, orneriest, most savage beasts in the world, right? It literally takes a smaller dose of tranquiliser to knock out anything else than a hippo, including rhinos and elephants, which have them beat in the weight category. When they open their mouths? That's not a yawn. That's a "here, look at these teeth and imagine what would happen should I bite down on you. That's right buddy, stay waaaay over there." They're also one of the very few animals that will fight to the actual death amongst themselves.
    Also, hippos may be the only creatures whose skulls could be mistaken for demon bones.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Also, hippos may be the only creatures whose skulls could be mistaken for demon bones.
    Not true, a lot of creatures have really terrifying-looking skulls.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Not true, a lot of creatures have really terrifying-looking skulls.
    And a remarkable number of peaceful herbivores have teeth that look for all the world like they belong in a maneating carnivore's mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity