New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Amidus Drexel's Alliterative and Awe-Accentuating Anvil of Random Banter CLXXXVI

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Wooh, 3:45 hours of sleep. So cold. I think the north should be outlawed.
    Can't get sleep early? Or you couldn't sleep because it was too cold? I haven't had that last one happen in a long time. I discovered that the winter PT gear they issued me freshman year is literally the warmest set of clothing I own and I've never been cold since.
    Of course I only discovered this like three months ago. Last few winters and falls were bitter, bitter. Struggles, I tell you.

It's been hotter here coming close to winter than it was the entire rest of fall. Cooler today, but that may just be the rain. I'd like to trade weather patterns with a place that makes sense, just temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    I can, however, indeed get struck by a feeling that reality is a sort of magical dream from time to time, and I really like those moments as well. I wouldn't say it gives me a sensation of there being something bigger or better, but rather, it makes me feel like I'm not a part of anything, like I'm totally free to do nothing at all but to relax in utter tranquility, and like nothing ever could touch me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    Well, that is how one usually would snap out of movies. But I'm talking about that moment when you're completely immersed in the world of the movie - and then, suddenly, for no real reason, your senses focus on the theater, and you realize that you're outside - an observer. I guess that's more what I mean - that sometimes you get to watch from the outside, and you realize just how great the show is. Am I making sense? I've always had a bit of trouble describing the feeling (the movie thing is the closest feeling I can think of, but it's nowhere near as awesome, nor quite the same sensation).
    That feeling always scares me, if I'm understand it. I do somewhat like it, though; thinking about the world in a "step back, see completely differently" way makes me want to go do things. I'm not sure if that really fits, though. Hm.

ION: Local marathon I've been looking at falls unfortunately on the same weekend as an event I absolutely cannot miss the next state over; very unfortunate. However, I've lucked out: just a month later another major city in-state is hosting a marathon and all the potential challenge/fun/pain that comes with it. If nothing causes me to miss it, I'm doing that one, for certain. *crosses fingers*

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Amidus Drexel's Alliterative and Awe-Accentuating Anvil of Random Banter CLXXXVI

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    The day I really wanted to play, too. I haven't even gotten to play much at all. Le sigh.
    I survived. The South East Asian server was up.

Wooh, 3:45 hours of sleep. So cold. I think the north should be outlawed.
    If only I should be so lucky. I think Summer should be outlawed. Either that or sunrise, it always seems to happen when I start falling asleep. The Sun should just appear in the sky at seven o'clock without this annoying dimmer switch business the sky does.
    And damn those birds can make a racket.

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    You got Starcraft II? Yay! I insiste on a game with you when you have it up and running.
    Indeed. I purchased it yesterday. Though it lags my computer intermittently and I'm not very good. Though I have resisted the temptation to fulfil the entirety of the tech tree like I always do in original Starcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    *hides blushing face*
    Spoiler
    Show
    That picture is more kinds of adorable than I thought was even possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Heh, and directed at the right person, too.

What shall we nail them to?
    The door of Lauren Faust's office? But we shouldn't nail them, maybe put them up with sticky tape.

Also, I kind of like the expression "take something for granite", despite how accidental its creation might have been. It kind of expresses how you overlook something of hidden value, taking it for rough and uninteresting granite.
    I beg to differ as to uninteresting nature of granite. Rough it may be, but that is only due to its resilience, a property that makes it an excellent building stone. Cut and polished to expose its complex mass of mineral crystals packed tightly together and it can be glorious.

Of course, the finer the grain, the less visually interesting

Hey, granite is interesting! It's not silly and weak, like talc.
    Talc's a mineral, not a rock. And it is interesting.

I prefer marble statues, although I understand that it isn't quite as malleable as talc. I suppose that's more of a chiseling than sculpting, though.
    Talc isn't malleable. Something that is malleable will deform under compressive stress without breaking apart, a common property of metals, not rock or crystalline minerals. Talc is sectile, i.e., it can be cut with a knife, not shaped by repeated blows from a hammer.
    As a rock composed of numerous varieties of crystals that have grown into one another, granite is technically brittle, but otherwise strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Starcraft II was down? Wow. I've never actually seen it down... Is there a Sheepie and Nibbles available for practise at 3v3 (AI or players, your choice/s)? Or must I constantly play Colonial Line Wars and Blasterbots? (custom maps)

I definitely need to challenge Ele to a duel. If he manages to beat me the first game, I'll stab something.
    I'm not that good. I'm very rusty. I played four games last night, one practice league which I won by macroing voidrays, two non-practice league games which I lost rather easily and co-op versus hard AI that went rather well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Well, I think its because its tuesday. Blizz does routine server matinance on tuesday in what is... My early morning, you guyses early afternoon? Not sure if today went long, havent been home. But I'd love to play a game!
    Seven at night until who knows when but too late for me to be up.

Anyway... In response to various suggestions that I play Starcraft II with people, sure. Just send me a PM about it.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Talc's a mineral, not a rock. And it is interesting.

Talc isn't malleable. Something that is malleable will deform under compressive stress without breaking apart, a common property of metals, not rock or crystalline minerals. Talc is sectile, i.e., it can be cut with a knife, not shaped by repeated blows from a hammer.
    As a rock composed of numerous varieties of crystals that have grown into one another, granite is technically brittle, but otherwise strong.
    Rocks and minerals are similar enough that I'm comfortable putting them in the same category. (I do realize that rocks often contain organic matter, which is the main difference between them and minerals). As another note, I don't think I specifically called talc a rock or a mineral, either way.

Here we have an excellent example of me using the wrong word. The original joke still stands using sectile, however, so I'm happy.

All of this talk of rocks is reminding me that I haven't taken a geology-esque class since 9th grade.
    A few odds and ends.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Bugbear in the Playground

@^ I think the last time I took one was in elementary school. Some kind of tent was set up, and a dredge for students to prepare for life in the mines. I know very little about the variety in the ground.

Although talc does look pretty. In a beige kind of way.
    Last edited by Cobalt; 2012-12-11 at 09:24 PM.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ettin in the Playground

Rocks and minerals are similar enough that I'm comfortable putting them in the same category. (I do realize that rocks often contain organic matter, which is the main difference between them and minerals). As another note, I don't think I specifically called talc a rock or a mineral, either way.
    Not the main difference at all. The main difference is that a rock is an aggregate and not representable by a chemical formula. A rock is made of a mixture of different minerals formed when the crystal grains grow into each other. Hence, a rock could contain quartz, mica, feldspar, olivine, pyroxene, calcite, etc. etc. Potentially dozens or hundred of different minerals.
    A mineral on the other hand has a discreet chemical formula, is usually stable at room temperature, has an ordered atomic structure and is usually abiogenic.

Here we have an excellent example of me using the wrong word. The original joke still stands using sectile, however, so I'm happy.

All of this talk of rocks is reminding me that I haven't taken a geology-esque class since 9th grade.
    That's alright. It's just that I'm part of the Sectility Awareness League. Our mission is to increase awareness of the lesser known properties of materials that work behind the scenes in our world.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

6. - Top - End - #816
    Troll in the Playground

So I'm helping my dad with his funeral arrangements. He suddenly decided he had to leave my mum and me with lists of things we need to do afterwards. People to contact, certificates to acquire, couple of personal things he'd want us to do. Every note starts with "In the event of my passing...". It's a bit morbid.

Dying is an administrative nightmare. Who knew.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

7. - Top - End - #817
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    So I'm helping my dad with his funeral arrangements. He suddenly decided he had to leave my mum and me with lists of things we need to do afterwards. People to contact, certificates to acquire, couple of personal things he'd want us to do. Every note starts with "In the event of my passing...". It's a bit morbid.

Sorry if I'm out of the loop, but has he actually died?

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ettin in the Playground

Anything with paperwork has the chance of becoming an administrative nightmare. The more forms, the greater the likelihood, and nothing involves more forms than death save for changing your mailing address.

Dragons!

9. - Top - End - #819
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Sorry if I'm out of the loop, but has he actually died?
    Heh. No, he's alive and healthy. He's just been writing up a bunch of directions for us in the event that he should die. Ever since he found out what a mess the amount of paperwork involved in it is. Especially bank accounts and financial stuff. Oh Lord.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

10. - Top - End - #820

Heh. No, he's alive and healthy. He's just been writing up a bunch of directions for us in the event that he should die. Ever since he found out what a mess the amount of paperwork involved in it is. Especially bank accounts and financial stuff. Oh Lord.
    Well, I can't say I blame him. Dying is a thing that makes the whole world stop.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Firbolg in the Playground

Heh. My mother takes morbid glee in telling me what I have to do if "Dad and I both drop dead at once". She usually makes a point of describing the exact situation in which that would occur too. Normally it's a bus.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #822
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Under that philosophy you could add everything to the dragon and it would be fine, right? So a dog-cat-mouse-badger-porcupine-lion-ninja-bear-dragon would be acceptable, right?
    you could, and the dragonpart wouldn't be the problem the rest of the animals is fair enough
    Oh, you can have a half-dragon pony or a half-dragon puppy, but adding a third in just makes things extremely difficult. Particularly as both ponies and puppies are quadrupeds so it would be hard to show that it's not merely a half-dragon one of them.
    After all, ponies use their ears expressively, and ears down for them means what you'd expect, fear, worry, sadness etc. And putting the tail of a pony on a dog doesn't help either because dogs can have fluffy tails.

In short, you have a ghastly mess of genetic material to shuffle around that just refuses to shuffle.

In other news: Why do the American Starcraft servers have to go down on the day I bought the game. It's a conspiracy to annoy me.
    but again, the dragon part wouldn't be the problem
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

13. - Top - End - #823
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I can't say I blame him. Dying is a thing that makes the whole world stop.
    Well, yeah. Especially for the person dying. Heh.

Heh. My mother takes morbid glee in telling me what I have to do if "Dad and I both drop dead at once". She usually makes a point of describing the exact situation in which that would occur too. Normally it's a bus.
    I think my plan in that case would be to run away and become a beach bum in Mauritius or somewhere. Or it would have been if I was still at home. Just leave the admin to everyone else to sort out.

In fact, I still might do that. Heh.

14. - Top - End - #824

Lets talk about something less grim. Like panties.

Specificly, For like three weeks I've only had one pair of panties (the one I have on) and the rest are all missing and this befuddles me completely. Where did they go!?

15. - Top - End - #825
    Troll in the Playground

That's quite a gear change.

Shall I talk about the boxers I have on now? They're blue.

So... yeah.

16. - Top - End - #826

Well, I'm legitimately curious about what could of happened to them, and I figure other people might know about it. Like, has anyone else expierance mysterious disappearing clothing? Stuff like that.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Troll in the Playground

You know, when I was still at home, occasionally my mum would go through my closets like a neurotic whirlwind and take away all my clothes she thought I didn't need any more. And then I would have to dig through the discard pile and patiently explain that I liked that beat-up, ripped old t-shirt.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ogre in the Playground

All I know is that I need to do my laundry 'cause I'm running out of clean underwear that fits me. Same with my boyfriend, funnily enough...

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

19. - Top - End - #829

You know, when I was still at home, occasionally my mum would go through my closets like a neurotic whirlwind and take away all my clothes she thought I didn't need any more. And then I would have to dig through the discard pile and patiently explain that I liked that beat-up, ripped old t-shirt.
    Mother's do that, unfortunately. I'm actually in a situation where I have to MANY cloths.

All I know is that I need to do my laundry 'cause I'm running out of clean underwear that fits me. Same with my boyfriend, funnily enough...
    Oh dear. Better get to work then!

Also, this discussion would not be complete without pantsu

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh dear. Better get to work then!
    I would've done some washing today but I feel too horrible. It's at the point where it hurts to walk and talking is painful. It's also annoying that I'm a smoker (not heavy, don't worry) so whenever I try to smoke, I can barely inhale because it hurts that much.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

21. - Top - End - #831
    Troll in the Playground

I wear checkered boxers (blue and white or black and white and not checkered like a chessboard, but like the scottish tartans (trying to make sense here))

Anyway, I got ance again lost on the site Thinkgeek.com. they have far too much cool stuff...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

22. - Top - End - #832

I would've done some washing today but I feel too horrible. It's at the point where it hurts to walk and talking is painful. It's also annoying that I'm a smoker (not heavy, don't worry) so whenever I try to smoke, I can barely inhale because it hurts that much.
    Oh dear! Get better soon!

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I'm legitimately curious about what could of happened to them, and I figure other people might know about it. Like, has anyone else expierance mysterious disappearing clothing? Stuff like that.
    Hmmm, you don't happen to live with a small doll that's possessed, do you?

24. - Top - End - #834
    Troll in the Playground

This is posted on the 12/12/12 12:12:12! (UTC:+02:00)

No i shall wait a hundred years for a wounderfull date like this again.
    or a thousend.
    what is a better way to celabrate it then with my favourite forum ever?
    Last edited by super dark33; 2012-12-12 at 05:13 AM.
    Despite everything, its still me.

25. - Top - End - #835

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Hmmm, you don't happen to live with a small doll that's possessed, do you?
    I do not, no.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Titan in the Playground

Oh? What's the real etymology then?
    Uhm, unless it's a previously existing expression, then it's that you acidently created it by misspelling "granted"...

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    Well, that is how one usually would snap out of movies. But I'm talking about that moment when you're completely immersed in the world of the movie - and then, suddenly, for no real reason, your senses focus on the theater, and you realize that you're outside - an observer. I guess that's more what I mean - that sometimes you get to watch from the outside, and you realize just how great the show is. Am I making sense? I've always had a bit of trouble describing the feeling (the movie thing is the closest feeling I can think of, but it's nowhere near as awesome, nor quite the same sensation).
    Well, that sounds mostly like what I'm talking about. Perhaps not exactly, but then again, or frames of references are pretty different as well, so explaining a feeling such as this one won't be done anywhere close to perfectly.

I beg to differ as to uninteresting nature of granite. Rough it may be, but that is only due to its resilience, a property that makes it an excellent building stone. Cut and polished to expose its complex mass of mineral crystals packed tightly together and it can be glorious.

Of course, the finer the grain, the less visually interesting
    Yeah, I've already adressed this point. Also, I explicitly said it was rough, as you generally won't find polished granite pebbles out in the nature...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I've already adressed this point. Also, I explicitly said it was rough, as you generally won't find polished granite pebbles out in the nature...
    I'd say it would depend on the granite and the conditions it has been exposed to. It is a very variable rock.

In other news: Does anyone have any advice to get Starcraft II working? Mine is having a whole host of issues that prevent me from playing anything but the campaign. It's just been completely useless all day.

Dragons!

28. - Top - End - #838

Uhm, unless it's a previously existing expression, then it's that you acidently created it by misspelling "granted"...
    I think I may of caused some confusion. I was saying "Maybe that thing you mentioned about granite is the origin of the phrase "taking for granted", and then you said no, so I asked "well what is the origin of that phrase then?" because I'm curious.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ettin in the Playground

I think I may of caused some confusion. I was saying "Maybe that thing you mentioned about granite is the origin of the phrase "taking for granted", and then you said no, so I asked "well what is the origin of that phrase then?" because I'm curious.
    I always imagined "taking for granted" was an expression created by people wishing for things, and when they "fished their wish", they took it for granted despite the fact their wish had no effect on the occurance.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

30. - Top - End - #840

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    I wear checkered boxers (blue and white or black and white and not checkered like a chessboard, but like the scottish tartans (trying to make sense here))

Anyway, I got ance again lost on the site Thinkgeek.com. they have far too much cool stuff...
    So it's like tartan but isn't? Wiggy.

Why do you have underwear that doesn't fit? If it's not motivation to drop a waist size just retire or recycle it. :P

Lets talk about something less grim. Like panties.

Specificly, For like three weeks I've only had one pair of panties (the one I have on) and the rest are all missing and this befuddles me completely. Where did they go!?
    Well that's random. My bet's on Underpants Gnomes, your mother, or a very, very perverted gremlin in your laundry washing system.

Experience, mysterious disappearing clothing, eh? Well, I did have some odd tendency to have my nize hats walk off on me for a while there... Other than that, all that there's been has been the standard sock-eating monster in the dryer and people just outright absconding with my pantaloons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide