New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Amidus Drexel's Alliterative and Awe-Accentuating Anvil of Random Banter CLXXXVI

Ooh, what's this paper for? I didn't take Kneenibble to be the type to write papers.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

2. - Top - End - #932
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Amidus Drexel's Alliterative and Awe-Accentuating Anvil of Random Banter CLXXXVI

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    Ooh, what's this paper for? I didn't take Kneenibble to be the type to write papers.
    I'm not, but it doesn't stop them getting assigned. ;___; It's for a graduate history course.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    Neither did I, until he mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'm not, but it doesn't stop them getting assigned. ;___; It's for a graduate history course.
    WHAT IS SUBJEEEEECTTT. Give us your dissertatiiooooooon.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Bugbear in the Playground

*rubs hands together, like a fly* Good. Good.

Send news when you have investigated further. I wish to hear of your delightful downfall into fabulous mercantilism.
    Kneen, you should know by now that if you want to trap me all you need to do is invite me to a literary soirée.

I shall keep you posted on the shop's curiosities as I find them, but that likely shan't be for some time - I am, after all, going home for the holidays on Sunday, and may not be able to investigate before then.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Neither did I, until he mentioned it.

WHAT IS SUBJEEEEECTTT. Give us your dissertatiiooooooon.
    Well this particular course is on Canadian social history, except our entire reading list is about food. So far we've studied migrant farm labour, a Marxist critique of the global capitalist food industry, Chinese-Canadian restaurants in small Prairie towns [every small town from Alberta to Ontario has one], alcohol in Canada since the 1700s, and the rise of donut shops.

The paper is not even that hard, which is why it's so humiliating. Basically I have to write about how all the readings work together. How I got this far in academia, I do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    Kneen, you should know by now that if you want to trap me all you need to do is invite me to a literary soirée.

I shall keep you posted on the shop's curiosities as I find them, but that likely shan't be for some time - I am, after all, going home for the holidays on Sunday, and may not be able to investigate before then.
    Well I look forward to hearing what the shop is like on the inside. Perhaps, for your Christmas-burnt student finances, it is for the best that you not see it now.

It always begins as a literary soirée, with tealights and strong coffee; but before you know it you're floating about in an opium gown with wings of tawny port, convinced you can understand Rimbaud in the original French as you swallow another raw oyster with lemon.

Not so bad, until you espy chicken's feet beneath the hem of your Vergil's pious pagan robe and feel the lurch of unseen descent in your belly.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2012-12-13 at 10:17 PM.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Troll in the Playground

Well this particular course is on Canadian social history, except our entire reading list is about food. So far we've studied migrant farm labour, a Marxist critique of the global capitalist food industry, Chinese-Canadian restaurants in small Prairie towns [every small town from Alberta to Ontario has one], alcohol in Canada since the 1700s, and the rise of donut shops.

The paper is not even that hard, which is why it's so humiliating. Basically I have to write about how all the readings work together. How I got this far in academia, I do not know.
    I have trouble making up BS for college essays, and that is some weird thing to write about. Acedemia must suck. WHY DO I STRIVE FOR THE SUCK?
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

7. - Top - End - #937

...I suppose it would be in bad taste for me to tell you to go with your gut on this one?

But seriously, that paper would eat me alive. I could hardly stomach the thought of writing such a thing, even if I had thoroughly digested all of the information. I hope you haven't bitten off more than you can chew.

OK, that's it. I'm all out of food puns.

Well I look forward to hearing what the shop is like on the inside. Perhaps, for your Christmas-burnt student finances, it is for the best that you not see it now.

It always begins as a literary soirée, with tealights and strong coffee; but before you know it you're floating about in an opium gown with wings of tawny port, convinced you can understand Rimbaud in the original French as you swallow another raw oyster with lemon.

Not so bad, until you espy chicken's feet beneath the hem of your Vergil's pious pagan robe and feel the lurch of unseen descent in your belly.
    That sounds like it would be the most fantastic thing of all time, even with the unexpected kidnapping. Plus, it's been, like forever since my last literary soirée, so I feel like it would be worth it.
    Last edited by Dimonite; 2012-12-13 at 10:59 PM.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

*high fives!*
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...

8. - Top - End - #938
    Ogre in the Playground

I cannot believe that I'm going to my first semester of college next month. I don't know if I'll be ready for it.............

9. - Top - End - #939
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devmaar View Post
    ion, a few hours ago, I decided I wasn't going to sleep tonight. I don't remember what my reasoning was, but I'm beginning to suspect it was unsound.
    Not sleeping is fun, when one does not have to do anything the following day. It's not something I would recommend, but I'll be doing it tomorrow night/the following morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    So I just not an e-mail from my municipality, notifying everyone in the area that they had installed a new security camera for our block of flats. They ended the e-mail with "Meanwhile, you can sleep safe and know that 'Big Brother is watching'."

What a monumentally poor choice of words.
    Mwahahahahahaha

That line pretty much sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    I have trouble making up BS for college essays, and that is some weird thing to write about. Acedemia must suck. WHY DO I STRIVE FOR THE SUCK?
    Some general formulas for essays:

1 page essay=Statistics+Double Space
    3 page essay=Statistics+Double Space+BS
    5 page essay=Statistics+Double Space+BS^2
    10 page essay=Statistics+Double Space+BS^5+Quotations
    +X page essay=Statistics+BS^X+Double Space+Quotations^(X/2)+In Text Citations*

*Note: An essay of this length should have enough citations to make a short paragraph, and they therefore deserve mention.

Speaking of essays, I still have a paper to finish. Hrm... I could probably still get a B in the class if I leave my project as is.
    A few odds and ends.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ettin in the Playground

That escalated rather quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Some general formulas for essays:

+X page essay=Statistics+BS^X+Double Space+Quotations^(X/2)+In Text Citations*

*Note: An essay of this length should have enough citations to make a short paragraph, and they therefore deserve mention.

Speaking of essays, I still have a paper to finish. Hrm... I could probably still get a B in the class if I leave my project as is.
    You forgot footnotes, make them big enough and you can have an essay with more footnotes than content.

Another alternative is having indexes and bibliographies, loads and loads of both. You can have an index of indexes.

Oh, and while part of references it deserves a mention on its own. Cite the APA manual for every stylistic choice and add it as a footnote and use different web-sources for it to pad the bibliography. Cite alternate language texts and have the translation by the side and include both sources.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-12-13 at 11:25 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    That escalated rather quickly.
    You forgot footnotes, make them big enough and you can have an essay with more footnotes than content.

Another alternative is having indexes and bibliographies, loads and loads of both. You can have an index of indexes.
    Oh, and while part of references it deserves a mention on its own. Cite the APA manual for every stylistic choice and add it as a footnote and use different web-sources for it to pad the bibliography. Cite alternate language texts and have the translation by the side and include both sources.
    Ah, how could I forget! Allow me to revise my formulae (incorrect pluralization it may be; I still prefer it).

Spoiler
    Show
    +X page essay=Statistics+BS^X+Double Space+Quotations^(X/2)+In Text Citations*+Footnotes+Indexes+Bibliographies+Acknow ledgements+Alternate References and Translations+Clever Formatting Shenanigans (such as adding extra spaces after periods or messing with the paper's margins)
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2012-12-13 at 11:29 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

12. - Top - End - #942

Boom! Two tickets for the first Hobbit movie, on my bookshelf. Best thing about a small town, there were reportedly only 38 tickets left, two hours late,r there's no line, and I stroll in to buy them. I end up having a talk with the dude there, who went to the same competition as me earlier the same day.

Now, just to stay up past three on a school night for the second time in a school week. I look forward to my vacation.

Also, the shadows under my eyes are back. I hope that I eventually look like L. That would be badass. (I mean, if I'm going to get them anyway, why not hope for getting a passing resemblance?)

Speaking of writing to meet page requirements, yesterday, during a journal entry thing where I had to write a page for every topic that got posted by my classmates (three a week, I had to do thirteen last night because I fell behind.), I had a particularly frustrating question that was literally unanswerable by the way she'd phrased it. I wrote almost a page long rant on it, then appended a footnote in more detail in reference to the beginning paragraph where I'd written about destroying the laptop I'd read it on.
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2012-12-13 at 11:37 PM.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #943
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, how could I forget! Allow me to revise my formulae (incorrect pluralization it may be; I still prefer it).

Spoiler
    Show
    +X page essay=Statistics+BS^X+Double Space+Quotations^(X/2)+In Text Citations*+Footnotes+Indexes+Bibliographies+Acknow ledgements+Alternate References and Translations+Clever Formatting Shenanigans (such as adding extra spaces after periods or messing with the paper's margins)
    I think there is still potential for more essay abuse.

Probably fit in images somehow while still keeping it academically passable...
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ettin in the Playground

I think there is still potential for more essay abuse.

Probably fit in images somehow while still keeping it academically passable...
    Charts and tables. Perhaps a graph or two.
    A few odds and ends.

15. - Top - End - #945

Spoiler
    Show

You forgot direct appeals to the teacher/professor's ego! I mean, look at MacBeth - if Shakespeare can take up significant space with blatant pandering, then so can you!
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

*high fives!*

16. - Top - End - #946
    Ettin in the Playground

You forgot direct appeals to the teacher/professor's ego! I mean, look at MacBeth - if Shakespeare can take up significant space with blatant pandering, then so can you!
    Ah, yes! If you professor has ever published anything even tangentially relevant to the paper, make sure to cite it (and preferably quote it).
    A few odds and ends.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Ettin in the Playground

Charts and tables. Perhaps a graph or two.
    A graph on the amount of graphs on the essay.
    But you'd actually have to make content for that. Like an introduction which doesn't explain the topic at all an just says that you will say stuff.
    Ah, yes! If you professor has ever published anything even tangentially relevant to the paper, make sure to cite it (and preferably quote it).
    And ask him to make a preface to the cite.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-12-13 at 11:40 PM.

18. - Top - End - #948

I like writing essays. So far in uni I've written one essay comparing Mearsheimer and Doyle's broad theories of international relations, one essay on the nature of war, drawing on Clausewitz and Fearon, one kinda-essay evaluating a passage from the Life of St. Sergius of Radonezh, and a bunch of exam-essay things: one rating various aspects in terms of ease of nations cooperating on the issues of terrorism, economical issues, environmental issues, and ethnic conflict, one on how the Great Schism changed the relationship between the Russian state and people, and one on... I can't remember what the last one was, but it had something to do with Russia.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

19. - Top - End - #949

I like writing essays if I'm interested in the topic.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ettin in the Playground

That is, perhaps, the word's rhetorical meaning: but basically it just means a repetition of terms. ANCIENT GREEK POWERS ACTIVATE! *rides a giant lowercase zeta up into ho Ouranos, its little tail flapping wildly*
    However, in this case, the numbers don't stand for themselves. They stand for other things. The first twelve refers to the twelfth day, but the second to December and the third as an abbreviation of AD 2012.
    And I would hardly refer to "The Twelfth Day of December, AD 2012" as a tautological statement by any definition.

Don't worry about that! I'm quite rubbish as well. Just work on sorting out your Battlenet issues for the glory of future battles. - don't your Starcraft 1 skills transfer over at all, though?
    Only against the AI.
    Other players seem to move with a speed that I cannot match despite my best efforts. It must be my obsessive compulsive desire to focus on economy and tech whilst being terrible at the first.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Also, the shadows under my eyes are back. I hope that I eventually look like L. That would be badass. (I mean, if I'm going to get them anyway, why not hope for getting a passing resemblance?)
    Mine are permanent. And they don't end up black. They're more of a purple colour, they don't form a full arc. The arc starts at the corner of the eye and fades out about half way around the lower edge of the eye.
    And they make one look old. If I went out on the street and asked people how old I looked, I probably would not be happy with the results. I'd upload a picture to show what I mean, but I'm too shy. Plus, it would also require being photographed and I hate that.

On the topic of padding essays: That only works until your teachers ask for a certain number of words, of which quotations and the like don't count.
    And that is how I have always done essays. By word count, not by number of pages.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

21. - Top - End - #951

Found a new game/hobby store. Figured I'd pop my head in for fifteen minutes or so, this was about 10 in the morning. I left at closing time, which was well into the night.

I had some fun. Thought I'd share.

I don't talk to people very often, you guys don't count until I can confirm you're people and not an elaborate AI program or super-intelligent animals leading a double life on the net.
    Last edited by DJ Yung Crunk; 2012-12-14 at 12:57 AM.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    Found a new game/hobby store. Figured I'd pop my head in for fifteen minutes or so, this was about 10 in the morning. I left at closing time, which was well into the night.

I had some fun. Thought I'd share.

I don't talk to people very often, you guys don't count until I can confirm you're people and not an elaborate AI program or super-intelligent animals leading a double life on the net.
    Well... I'm pretty sure at least some of us are definitely people. I can't prove it of course.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

23. - Top - End - #953

Well... I'm pretty sure at least some of us are definitely people. I can't prove it of course.
    Sounds exactly like something super intelligent cattle would say. How do you type with hooves?

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    Sounds exactly like something super intelligent cattle would say. How do you type with hooves?
    By technicality, horses are not cattle.
    And in answer to your question, with ease acquired by years of practice.

Dragons!

25. - Top - End - #955
    Troll in the Playground

I'm a people.

Got a membership card and everything.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

26. - Top - End - #956

By technicality, horses are not cattle.
    And in answer to your question, with ease acquired by years of practice.
    Okay guys, the pun gates have swung open! The theme? Horses on computers! Alright, punners, start youuuur engines!

I'm a people.

Got a membership card and everything.
    If you really were a human you'd know we call them "ID cards". Nice try, Mr. Ed.
    Last edited by DJ Yung Crunk; 2012-12-14 at 01:21 AM.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Troll in the Playground

And now I'm thinking along the lines of some sort of letter, saying

I hereby certify that this guy is, in fact, a human.
    Signed, Dr. Guy.

Like Nobby Nobbs or something.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

28. - Top - End - #958
    Troll in the Playground

And now I'm thinking along the lines of some sort of letter, saying

I hereby certify that this guy is, in fact, a human.
    Signed, Dr. Guy.

Like Nobby Nobbs or something.
    ahah, ahd me thinking immedeately about this. Nobby nobs the only human and aristocrat who has a paper to prove he belongs to the human race. (he's sort of the zoidberg in discworld)

Oh, andI'm definately human with all my flaws and the like...
    Last edited by Socratov; 2012-12-14 at 02:24 AM.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

29. - Top - End - #959

Oh Prime of Dragon, I lied, the weekend I'll be in Boston is in March not February. Either the 2-3 or the 9-10. Though if it's the 9-10 then I'll be heading back home for most of the 10th cuz I have classes the 11th... so prolly the 2-3.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ogre in the Playground

I am most definitely the great LDK and not his familiar who makes posts on the internet at three o'clock in the morning when he's asleep because he's always hogging the laptop during the day.
    Whatever would give you that idea?
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]