New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Amidus Drexel's Alliterative and Awe-Accentuating Anvil of Random Banter CLXXXVI

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Oh, and Mynxae: It's December now. Tell me what you're getting me for Christmas!
    To be fair, I did give you the opportunity of waiting until the start of Advent, but you chose otherwise.
    I never said I'd tell you what I'm getting you once it was December.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Amidus Drexel's Alliterative and Awe-Accentuating Anvil of Random Banter CLXXXVI

Almost a whole day without power. And in this heat, sleep was but the waking dream of the desperate. Holy crap I must have lost eight whole pounds last night.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Ladies and gentleman, I have a 15-20 page paper on Cartesian dualism due by midnight tomorrow. I only started writing it today. I have read one of the five sources that I intend to use. I am so averse to doing this essay that I actually killed time by trimming my beard down to a goatee to avoid writing. You have no idea how dull it is to write about Cartesian dualism. It is all a category mistake anyways! If I succeed, it will be glorious. If I fail, it will be so
    The prodigious son has returned!

I have no doubt such a paper will be magnificent considering the author, and the fact that science has proven that creativity skyrockets when one is subject to forceful unwanted and unpaid work and is severely insomniac.
    Thank you!

Also, you do calculus and physics? I am quite jealous. I like math and physics, but my current choice of profession doesn't really afford me the time to study them.
    I can't take anything past Theology 1 or Science & Philosophy without making a formal request to the dean's office.

Want to trade places?
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

Despite large quantities of writing ahead of you, it is wonderful to hear from you again. I did so miss your walls of text on philosophy, reading them made me feel smart.
    We must celebrate in the proper and traditional way. I.e. Lighting the sky on fire.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hooray! I have been missed! It's good to see (read?) you too Elemental. I do quite like how you set the sky on fire. Very beautiful.

Anyways, you don't need me to feel smart. Just read where I get all my stuff from. Start with something like Plato's Apology. It's good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    The prodigious son has returned!
    Prodigious? Did you just call me fat?

I have no doubt such a paper will be magnificent considering the author, and the fact that science has proven that creativity skyrockets when one is subject to forceful unwanted and unpaid work and is severely insomniac.
    I can't take anything past Theology 1 or Science & Philosophy without making a formal request to the dean's office.
    No doubt it will be a fine work. I've never actually written anything this long, so it will be a new experience. Really I'm just regurgitating what my Dominican professor taught me about Cartesian dualism, and he is a brilliant source, so it should be close to his greatness.

Want to trade places?
    I would, but as much as I like math and science things, I like the priesthood more.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

5. - Top - End - #95
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Speaking of which.. Where's Moonie been? Haven't seen her for ages.
    I haven't seen her either. I'm worried too

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Prodigious? Did you just call me fat?
    The second definition.
    No doubt it will be a fine work. I've never actually written anything this long, so it will be a new experience. Really I'm just regurgitating what my Dominican professor taught me about Cartesian dualism, and he is a brilliant source, so it should be close to his greatness.
    A ten page essay is long?
    I would, but as much as I like math and science things, I like the priesthood more.
    On the other hand they are not mutually exclusive; Guarino Guarini, Copernicus and Mendel, Battista Riccioli and William of Ockham to cite a few. Which reminds me that I have a rather interesting collection of books from a seminar by Petronio Tam about the reconciliation between spirituality and quantum mechanics which are a rather interesting read even if some parts are rather grunt-worthy; I still need to finish them though.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-12-01 at 01:01 AM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

7. - Top - End - #97

A ten page essay is long?
    15-20 page essay, not 10.

On the other hand they are not mutually exclusive; Guarino Guarini, Copernicus and Mendel, Battista Riccioli and William of Ockham to cite a few. Which reminds me that I have a rather interesting collection of books from a seminar by Petronio Tam about the reconciliation between spirituality and quantum mechanics which are a rather interesting read even if some parts are rather grunt-worthy; I still need to finish them though.
    They lived in times when there were more of my kind around, so they could devote themselves to such work. As it is I will be filling in for serious shortages. Besides, many of them were either members of orders or canons. I'm affixed to a diocesan structure, which means that I have less liberty to be an academic. Besides, science is more of a curious hobby than an actual passion.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

I never said I'd tell you what I'm getting you once it was December.
    I offered you the start of either December or Advent. You chose December by reason of you don't know when Advent starts.
    And besides, you might as well tell me what it is. You've ruined the surprise by telling me it's a surprise. Tell me! Or I won't take you book shopping for Christmas. I got a bank statement and I can afford to, so you're in luck.

Also, I need to know what you bought me so I don't accidentally buy it myself.

Hooray! I have been missed! It's good to see (read?) you too Elemental. I do quite like how you set the sky on fire. Very beautiful.

Anyways, you don't need me to feel smart. Just read where I get all my stuff from. Start with something like Plato's Apology. It's good stuff.
    Why thank you. One of these years, I should probably go and actually see that...

I could, but I always get bogged down when reading philosophy for some reason. I am much more fond of history and science etc.
    However, the foundations of philosophy upon which centuries of thought have been built up on would probably be an easier read now that I think of it... I should give it a try next time I'm down at the library.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

I offered you the start of either December or Advent. You chose December by reason of you don't know when Advent starts.
    And besides, you might as well tell me what it is. You've ruined the surprise by telling me it's a surprise. Tell me! Or I won't take you book shopping for Christmas. I got a bank statement and I can afford to, so you're in luck.

Also, I need to know what you bought me so I don't accidentally buy it myself.
    I'll give you a clue. It's a book.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    His life was over.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

15-20 page essay, not 10.
    That still does not reach the long definition of an essay, that's the average lab report length; semiotics test ended up requiring one to write around that amount without access to consult material.
    They lived in times when there were more of my kind around, so they could devote themselves to such work. As it is I will be filling in for serious shortages. Besides, many of them were either members of orders or canons. I'm affixed to a diocesan structure, which means that I have less liberty to be an academic. Besides, science is more of a curious hobby than an actual passion.
    If I recall correctly one can later on affiliate with an order (though that may be a particular of the order I'm thinking of or the person in particular which merited a special case).

From mostly anecdotal evidence there is the possibility of military chaplaincy which normally leaves one with a considerable amount of freedom and time (though that may just be the case in my country where the military is rather useless and sees no action at all).

It is not rare for curious hobbyist to discover rather interesting stuff; like a man with no medical knowledge which could have built a machine able to attack cancer without harming the patient, or how Roald Dahl built a kid's life saving machine.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-12-01 at 01:42 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll give you a clue. It's a book.
    Tell me so I don't buy it myself!
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Tell me so I don't buy it myself!
    Hmm. So you said you'll be taking me bookshopping for my Christmas present, therefore there will be no surprise so then I should just tell you in the meantime?

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His life was over.

13. - Top - End - #103

Why thank you. One of these years, I should probably go and actually see that...

I could, but I always get bogged down when reading philosophy for some reason. I am much more fond of history and science etc.
    However, the foundations of philosophy upon which centuries of thought have been built up on would probably be an easier read now that I think of it... I should give it a try next time I'm down at the library.
    The problem is that most philosophers are atrocious writers. They're brilliant, but they lack any style. Plato happens to actually be enjoyable to read. He writes everything in the format of a dialogue between Socrates and several other people. Socrates is depicted as an amusingly sarcastic man, so it can be enjoyable to see him poke fun at the silliness of other people. Besides that, there's an actual plot to them. The Apology is actually Plato's account of Socrates' trial. The Phaedo depicts his final words before his execution. If you just want to learn the history of Socrates, Plato is the man to go to.

That still does not reach the long definition of an essay, that's the average lab report length; semiotics test ended up requiring one to write around that amount without access to consult material.
    It might be normal for science, but for an undergrad philosophy student it is of some length. I'm guessing that a lab report is, well, a report. You report what happened, rather than trying to make an entirely original essay.

If I recall correctly one can later on affiliate with an order (though that may be a particular of the order I'm thinking of or the person in particular which merited a special case).

From mostly anecdotal evidence there is the possibility of military chaplaincy which normally leaves one with a considerable amount of freedom and time (though that may just be the case in my country where the military is rather useless and sees no action at all).
    I could join an order later, but I have no desire to. I feel no call, and it's an enormous hassle. As for military chaplaincy, which I am considering, it's usually rather time consuming for us, since we Americans are a bit more active militarily. The life of a diocesan priest is an extremely busy one, especially during shortages.

It is not rare for curious hobbyist to discover rather interesting stuff; like a man with no medical knowledge which could have built a machine able to attack cancer without harming the patient, or how Roald Dahl built a kid's life saving machine.
    One day then perhaps.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

I could join an order later, but I have no desire to. I feel no call, and it's an enormous hassle. As for military chaplaincy, which I am considering, it's usually rather time consuming for us, since we Americans are a bit more active militarily. The life of a diocesan priest is an extremely busy one, especially during shortages.
    Strangely enough the situation is inverted where I live. The diocesans have a surplus and it's certain non-secular orders which have shortages (mainly the ones which took pedagogy up several centuries back) but also have a fair degree freedom for pursuing academic endeavours within certain boundaries; my university used to be exclusively run by priests until a turn of events and there are still several priests teaching, not all of them humanities or theo/philosophy.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm. So you said you'll be taking me bookshopping for my Christmas present, therefore there will be no surprise so then I should just tell you in the meantime?
    Yes. It's not fair for you to keep me in suspense when I'm not doing it to you.

The problem is that most philosophers are atrocious writers. They're brilliant, but they lack any style. Plato happens to actually be enjoyable to read. He writes everything in the format of a dialogue between Socrates and several other people. Socrates is depicted as an amusingly sarcastic man, so it can be enjoyable to see him poke fun at the silliness of other people. Besides that, there's an actual plot to them. The Apology is actually Plato's account of Socrates' trial. The Phaedo depicts his final words before his execution. If you just want to learn the history of Socrates, Plato is the man to go to.
    Unfortunately, that is so often the case.
    Hmm... That would explain why they wanted him dead... Anyway... I shall have to check if the library has any of his stuff. They might, they might not.

Dragons!

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes. It's not fair for you to keep me in suspense when I'm not doing it to you.
    Fine.. It's "Who could that be at this hour?" by Lemony Snicket. Happy? Although I'm still thinking of SC2 as a possibility as well so I have someone to play with.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His life was over.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Fine.. It's "Who could that be at this hour?" by Lemony Snicket. Happy? Although I'm still thinking of SC2 as a possibility as well so I have someone to play with.
    Gasp! How did you know that was the one I wanted?!?!
    *almost dies from barely suppressed joy and excitement*

You are one awesome friend Mr. Mynxae.
    Have a song.

Dragons!

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Gasp! How did you know that was the one I wanted?!?!
    *almost dies from barely suppressed joy and excitement*

You are one awesome friend Mr. Mynxae.
    Have a song.
    /chuckles I didn't actually know what you wanted. But I saw the author's name and well.. Every book by Lemony Snicket you enjoy immensely, so I thought I'd get it for you.

Also... That piano cover is awesome.
    Last edited by Mynxae; 2012-12-01 at 06:51 AM.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His life was over.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

/chuckles I didn't actually know what you wanted. But I saw the author's name and well.. Every book by Lemony Snicket you enjoy immensely, so I thought I'd get it for you.

Also... That piano cover is awesome.
    It's a good thing you told me then, because I was going to buy it for myself.
    And naturally, I'm still excited.
    Starcraft II is still a possible idea, but you don't have to because I may end up just buying it myself. How much does it cost these days?

Do you want to come over early next week? I remember that we briefly discussed you visiting sometime this week, but I think we both forgot about it. Unless I'm getting my weeks confused...

Dragons!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a good thing you told me then, because I was going to buy it for myself.
    And naturally, I'm still excited.
    Starcraft II is still a possible idea, but you don't have to because I may end up just buying it myself. How much does it cost these days?

Do you want to come over early next week? I remember that we briefly discussed you visiting sometime this week, but I think we both forgot about it. Unless I'm getting my weeks confused...
    Should be able to get away with possible Tuesday afternoon to come over, leave perhaps Thursday or Friday. Sound all good?

And SC2, it depends on where you go. Lemme just do a quick web search... At EB Games, apparently on special for $36. Very surprising.. It's $40 online in the Blizzard Store. JB Hi-Fi (if it's in stock.. They generally have a fairly small stock of PC Games) is $34. So try JB first, if they're out either go to a different one or go to EB Games.

I might be able to get it for you but if you really want to buy it for yourself then I can...

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His life was over.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Should be able to get away with possible Tuesday afternoon to come over, leave perhaps Thursday or Friday. Sound all good?

And SC2, it depends on where you go. Lemme just do a quick web search... At EB Games, apparently on special for $36. Very surprising.. It's $40 online in the Blizzard Store. JB Hi-Fi (if it's in stock.. They generally have a fairly small stock of PC Games) is $34. So try JB first, if they're out either go to a different one or go to EB Games.

I might be able to get it for you but if you really want to buy it for yourself then I can...
    Sounds good. Just asked Mum and she said yes.
    Oh, and I've got some episodes of Miss Marple and Poirot recorded if you want to watch them.

That cheap? I expected it to have decreased in cost since it came out, but I though it'd still be around fifty or sixty dollars. I will buy it myself if my computer will run it. May run a bit laggy unfortunately. I need to go and buy new speakers anyway because I have money in the bank. Is Starcraft II easier or harder on a computer than League of Legends?

Dragons!

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds good. Just asked Mum and she said yes.
    Oh, and I've got some episodes of Miss Marple and Poirot recorded if you want to watch them.

That cheap? I expected it to have decreased in cost since it came out, but I though it'd still be around fifty or sixty dollars. I will buy it myself if my computer will run it. May run a bit laggy unfortunately. I need to go and buy new speakers anyway because I have money in the bank. Is Starcraft II easier or harder on a computer than League of Legends?
    If you have it on the lowest graphics then it should be fine, as long as we don't play too many maps with absolute tonnes of units. Even my computer lags with tonnes of units..

Miss Marple and Poirot, I've missed you <3 We must watch them! I'd even stay an extra day just so we can watch them!

So when would you be doing the 'going to the shops' business for speakers and Starcraft II?

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His life was over.

23. - Top - End - #113

Strangely enough the situation is inverted where I live. The diocesans have a surplus and it's certain non-secular orders which have shortages (mainly the ones which took pedagogy up several centuries back) but also have a fair degree freedom for pursuing academic endeavours within certain boundaries; my university used to be exclusively run by priests until a turn of events and there are still several priests teaching, not all of them humanities or theo/philosophy.
    Sadly enough we have shortages all around, in both orders and dioceses. My diocese has currently projected that around 2021 (three years after I will be ordained) we will be down to almost one priest per two parishes. It does not bode well for us. There are a few dioceses and orders that are doing well, but not in my part of the country.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

If you have it on the lowest graphics then it should be fine, as long as we don't play too many maps with absolute tonnes of units. Even my computer lags with tonnes of units..

Miss Marple and Poirot, I've missed you <3 We must watch them! I'd even stay an extra day just so we can watch them!

So when would you be doing the 'going to the shops' business for speakers and Starcraft II?
    Sounds like a plan. We just have to make sure we can get the television away from my sister.

Hmm... I'm not sure... I might be able to do it some time this week, which will be helpful because I can get you to help me choose speakers.

Sadly enough we have shortages all around, in both orders and dioceses. My diocese has currently projected that around 2021 (three years after I will be ordained) we will be down to almost one priest per two parishes. It does not bode well for us. There are a few dioceses and orders that are doing well, but not in my part of the country.
    One priest for two parishes? The situation is that dire?
    You'll need to start up some kind of recruiting drive or something. I suggest borrowing clergy from regions with a surplus.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2012-12-01 at 08:15 AM.

Dragons!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds like a plan. We just have to make sure we can get the television away from my sister.

Hmm... I'm not sure... I might be able to do it some time this week, which will be helpful because I can get you to help me choose speakers.
    Perhaps we go out Wednesday sometime and go down to the shops so then I can judge good speakers for you?

Don't tell me - She's watching Cricket constantly?

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His life was over.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Perhaps we go out Wednesday sometime and go down to the shops so then I can judge good speakers for you?

Don't tell me - She's watching Cricket constantly?
    Sounds like a plan. Otherwise, I have no idea what constitutes good or bad.
    I think JB Hi-Fi is right across from my financial institution, which is convenient because I need to make a withdrawal.

When isn't she?

Dragons!

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds like a plan. Otherwise, I have no idea what constitutes good or bad.
    I think JB Hi-Fi is right across from my financial institution, which is convenient because I need to make a withdrawal.

When isn't she?
    Handy..

Very true. I don't get it.. Cricket is just so boring for me. Yet things like Black Butler, Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra, Big Bang Theory and such interest me.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His life was over.

28. - Top - End - #118

One priest for two parishes? The situation is that dire?
    You'll need to start up some kind of recruiting drive or something. I suggest borrowing clergy from regions with a surplus.
    Both things are currently happening. The problem is that we're at the point where all the priests from the era when you had 60 men getting ordained every year are retiring. That was the biggest boom in ordinations in our 2000 year history. We expanded a lot then, and bit off more than we could chew. Now we're dealing with a serious drop in priests, though things are looking up. The numbers are slowly climbing, and in the mid 20's we should reach replacement rates, and be able to crawl back up again.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

I set out to buy myself some gift wrap, but they were all either childish, tasteless or of the wrong colour, so I had to return empty-handed. I found some books I think I'm going to buy for gifts, however, and another one that I'll wish for as well (this, for once, is a Christmas when I know what I want to get).

And the world continues to be bewitchingly beautiful. The light but continuous snowfall we've had in the last two days stood back, and a humble sun was let forth to colour the sky in rose and champagne. Simple clouds at the distance put up a striking visual of an abstract world beyond, and the biting chill touched my cheeks as a lover's kiss.

And the night brings stars on deep marine, just as the gift wrap I sought to find. Why must that one be so hard to find, it's basically a classic? Oh well, being picky was never intended to be easy...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Colossus in the Playground

True, but I'm sure you'll be able to find what you're looking for Teddy!

Also, I've been reading Chobits lately. Clamp makes some wierd, wieeeerd series. Also, work soon!