Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution (OOC)

Out of Character Thread
    [Link to In Character Thread]

Game Information
    Spoiler
    Show

The "Condensed 16" Summary
    Spoiler
    Show
    System: D&D 4th edition
    Player Count: Target party size of 5 or 6, with 1 or 2 alternates. See the player list for currently active/interested players.
    Style of Play: A large part of the game is investigating mysteries and dealing with political intrigues. There will be combat and frontier adventure (especially the former) though less of those elements than your typical D&D campaign.
    Medium: Play by post, with a minimum post rate of one per 48 hours.
    Allowed Content: All official 4e material that is not setting/campaign-specific, plus the ZEITGEIST Players' Guide.

Character Creation

• Backstory: A brief (2-4 sentence) backstory is required, but more detail is welcome. Your character is an agent of the Royal Homeland Constabulary (RHC) and must be genuinely loyal to Risur (though unquestioning loyalty is not required). Selecting a background theme from the ZEITGEIST Players' Guide is encouraged but not required (note: those themes have undisclosed perks at levels 5 and 10 and possibly other advantages). Also, by the end of the first adventure you should come up with a brief description of two separate NPC informants in the city of Flint that your PC has some sort of working relationship with.
    • Level: 1. The campaign has arc that is supposed to span 30 levels -- we'll see how far we make it.
    • Wealth: 600 gp.
    • Ability Scores: Standard point buy/array.
    • Hitpoints/Health: Standard.
    • Alignment: Any, non-evil suggested.

Important Note

This is the resumption of a game that I started on another (non-RPG) Internet forum. We got about halfway through the first adventure before RL intervened for a few of us and I put the campaign on hiatus. You can skim or backread our adventure if you want a taste of the game or my DMing style. Note that most of our players were inexperienced so I tended to spell things out and repeat things a lot, and made some allowances. I am hoping to refine and streamline things a bit more this go-round.

Still, most of the players are inexperienced with PBP, 4e, D&D or even PNP games in general, so if you want a game where all of the players are highly competent with the system, you may want to look elsewhere.

Character Advancement & Treasure
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters will advance in level based primarily on the completion of quest objectives (essentially by DM fiat). XP will not be used or tracked. Characters will tend to advance with fewer combat encounters per level than the typical D&D adventure.

In addition, this game will take a non-traditional approach to how PC wealth is acquired. The characters are on salary and are expected to turn over valuable objects they acquire in the line of duty over to the RHC.

The PCs will still generally be in line with expected wealth levels for a game using the inherent bonuses rule (see below), and will have a good amount of control over how they are equipped. The RHC will buy any of the party's legitimately acquired gear (i.e. things they've purchased from shops or the RHC) back at its full value, though the PCs will not typically be compensated for turning in any magic items that were collected as seizures and evidence.

For more details, see the ZEITGEIST Players' Guide, pages 12-13.

Initiative
    Spoiler
    Show

For expediency, the game will utilize Group Initiative:
    • I will roll initiative once for each group of combatants. The initiative modifier of each group will be the averaged sum of the initiative modifiers of each individual in the group.
    • Whichever group scores higher on initiative acts first, as a group (unless there is a surprise round to be resolved first).
    • During the players' turn, players may post their actions in any order. Actions will be resolved in the order in which they are posted.
    • "End of next turn" bonuses and penalties will only apply on one turn for each character.

Contingencies and Immediate Actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    You should go through your character sheet, identify all powers that are immediate/opportunity actions and provide the DM will a description of the circumstances in which you want those powers.

You may revise those guidelines at any time, either on a temporary or permanent basis.

Also, in general it would be helpful for players to post actions for different contingencies, especially if other players have posted unresolved actions before you. I will have your character act according to what you describe as best as I'm able, but if your specified action is rendered impossible, I reserve the right to decide your action for the turn.

Rolling
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolls will be made with the forum's dice roller.

The DM will roll all "reactive"/passive checks that don't take place during the character's turn. This includes initiative checks and Perception/Insight/Knowledge checks that happen in response to something that happens, as well as all rolls associated with immediate actions.

The player should make all other rolls. When a player announces an action that will (or might) require a roll, the roll should be made in the same post as the announced action. Always roll damage at the same time as your attack rolls.

Inherent bonuses
    Spoiler
    Show
    This game utilizes the Inherent bonuses rule described on page 209 of the Dark Sun Campaign Setting.

The mechanics summarized:

• Characters receive an incremental +1 enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls at levels 2, 7, 12, 17, 22 and 27. Characters also receive the attendant incremental increases in critical hit damage that go along with these bonuses.
    • Characters receive an incremental +1 enhancement bonus to all defenses at levels 4, 9, 14, 19, 24 and 29.
    • These enhancement bonuses do not stack with enhancement bonuses conferred by equipment, but PCs may still acquire magic weapons, armor and neck slot items to enjoy an enhancement bonus higher that which is granted by the inherent bonus, or to benefit from other properties of such magic equipment.
    • Characters receive only about 1/4 the total amount of wealth by level indicated by the treasure parcel system.

In in-game terms, these bonuses are a manifestation of a permanent ritual enchantment received by the characters when they were inducted into the RHC. The enchantment is affected by dead magic zones the same way magic items are.

Math fixes and feat tax credits
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Each character receives one free weapon or implement Expertise feat at level 5. Characters that already have an Expertise feat by level 5 get a bonus feat instead.
    • Each character receives the Improved Defenses feat at level 7. Characters that already have Improved Defenses by level 5 get a bonus feat instead.
    • Each character receives Primordial as a bonus language. (Primordial is the most commonly spoken language in Risur.)
    • At levels 17, 22 and 27, each character adds 1 point to his or her lowest non-AC defense score.

Banned material and other restrictions
    Spoiler
    Show
    • The Raise Dead ritual and comparable forms of resurrection are not generally available.
    • Powers that grant flight never last longer than five minutes and flying mounts do not exist.
    • Planar travel is difficult -- it is normally impossible for a creature to leave its home plane for more than five minutes.
    • Gold has an inhibiting effect on teleportation. See the ZEITGEIST Players' Guide, page 5 for details.
    • Only the lowest level/tier versions of the following items are available: Diamond Cincture, Belt of Vim, Helm of Able Defense, Boots of Quickness, Circlet of Indomitability.

Inactivity and Retroactive Actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    In time-sensitive and high-stakes encounters such as combat and most skill challenges, players have 48 hours from the start of the party's turn to post their actions, otherwise the DM will decide that player's character's action for the turn.

If you need to drop the game, or stop playing for a period time, please notify the group. We'll understand! Also, late notice of an absence is better than no notice at all.

You may be dropped from the game and replaced with an alternate if you are inactive for more than a week without giving notice.

Also, since not all encounters have definitive beginning and end points, it's possible that I may move the game on to another encounter prematurely at times. If you feel that you had unfinished business in a previous encounter that you didn't have adequate opportunity to carry out, send me a PM letting me know. I may let you retroactively perform a few actions, if it will not affect the continuity greatly.

Thread/Post Formatting
    Spoiler
    Show
    Please see the Thread/Post Formatting section of the Guide to Play by Post Games. See the vB Code List if you don't know how to use the various tags. Pick a color to use in the IC thread -- try one of the darker colors from this list other than red.

[ Status Condition Icon Key ]
    Spoiler
    Show
    I may sometimes used the "dead" indicator for enemies that are merely knocked out (it makes it more obvious which are non-combatants).

There are a few other icons I might use that aren't listed in this key -- mostly ones for bonus, as well as some alarm clock-looking icons that I might use for miscellaneous conditions.

Sometimes I forget to add icons to creatures affected by conditions, or forget to remove icons when conditions are cleared -- or I might not display some of the more redundant icons if it would obscure the affected creature's token too much.The icons are meant to be a convenience/reminder -- to get a clearer idea of who is affected by what conditions, check the latest condition summary.

The Current Party
    Spoiler
    Show

[ PC Token Key ]

{table]Character | Player | Role | Class | Theme | Race
    Aeric Silverspur | Falconknight06 | Striker | Rogue | Gunsmith | Half-Elf
    Aurora | mullensmd | Controller | Druid | Skyseer | Razorclaw Shifter
    Leif Haust | Rannoch* | Defender | Paladin | Guardian | Human
    John Tinton | atomiclemming | Leader | Artificer | Technologist | Human
    Saradoc Montajay II | Frothingslosh | Controller | Binder | Spirit Medium | Gnome
    Taral Kasha | Tegu8788 | Leader/Multiple | Bard/Blackguard | Noble Adept | Tiefling[/table]
    *Formerly Infernally Clay, temporarily being played by Rannoch until his character is introduced.

Welcome! Here's where you can ask any questions or discuss things that don't belong in the IC thread.

[Link to the IC thread for Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution | Link to the recruitment thread.]
    Last edited by Tukka; 2013-01-29 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Added header image, IC thread link to the top

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution (OOC)

This is [F] litlrabi here. Tukka willing, I can repsec to a more necessary role (since the party composition has changed).

Also, hello all.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey litlrabi/Frothingslosh, thanks for checking in.

Edit: And if you want to respec, that's fine. Maybe into a fey warlock? Right now I don't think Aurora is specced to fully emphasize the controller role of the druid, so to having two controller-ish characters may not be a bad idea.

Let me know if you have anything in particular in mind.
    Last edited by Tukka; 2012-12-05 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Misspelled Froth's name

4. - Top - End - #4

Zombie

Sasquatch reporting for duty.
    took a bit to set the account .. stoopid cathpas

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Welcome aboard, Sas.

If you want to tweak anything about your character before we get started, let me know.

Also, everyone should pick a color to use in the IC thread. (See the Thread/Post Formatting section in the spoiler above.) In addition, if you want to get some practice with this forum's dice roller, you can use this thread.

So far enough players have registered interest for us to get started again, so hopefully we'll be playing again soon.

6. - Top - End - #6

Zombie

This alright for a colour?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atomiclemming View Post
    This alright for a colour?
    Sure, that works. Darkgray for John.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Aurora here. Sorry it took so long the night I got your email my computer's power supply decided to commit suicide.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mullensmd View Post
    Aurora here. Sorry it took so long the night I got your email my computer's power supply decided to commit suicide.
    Hey Mitch, good to see you. Sorry to hear about your computer.

We should have 3 new players incoming soon -- I'm looking over their characters now. They should be arriving in this thread shortly, then we game get the game rolling again.

Edit: By the way, the new players' characters are going to start off ignorant of the events of the first part of the adventure, so you guys may want to avoid discussing those events here, or else mark them with spoilers. It's not a really big deal if those players learn of that info prematurely, but it might be a little more fun to have you guys deliver the exposition in character.

Otherwise you guys can discuss whatever you want... meet and greet, talk crunch, etc. :)
    Last edited by Tukka; 2012-12-06 at 09:40 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

'allo all, I'm one of the new ignorant players Tukka mentioned. I'll be playing Taral Kasha, a Tiefling that is here to help you do what you do best. He's a rather charismatic gish, ready to buckle your swash and what not, throwing out heals and magic blasts, heavy into shadow and psychic damage, not to mention being a Arcane/Divine/Psionic/Shadow character. Picture below.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hello everyone! Falconknight here, playing your friendly neighborhood Half-Elf Rogue Gunsmith Aeric Silverspur

He's an agreeable chap who also enjoys buckling swashes, as well as Holy-wording once a day. And he has two homemade guns. And a huge passive insight. He's a people person, and makes everyone else more of a people person. So yeah, just need to find a good picture for him now.

And he shall talk in Indigo, the color of mystery, and rogue-ishness

This picture is pretty much perfect for Aeric, though my character has sleeves
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Falconknight06; 2012-12-06 at 11:16 PM.
    Halfling Monk (Avatar by Miss Nobody)
    Carpal tunnel has subsided, so I'm back hopefully

Spoiler: My games and characters
    Show
    Deralis Legan, the Half-Elf Marshal

Owlbear Hollow Mercenaries the game I'm running

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here are some comments on the new PCs' backstories. If you guys want, you can discuss the ways in which you might know each other.

Some suggestions: Taral, Leif and Aeric are all members of the same RHC unit -- you've worked your past few cases together.

All of the PCs, are members of the RHC office in Flint. Unless you've made a particular effort to operate off-site, you know each others' faces, if not each others' names. Aurora might be an exception to this, as she's spent at least the past several weeks attached to an RHC team based in Slate.

Taral Kasha
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788
    Taral has worked undercover for the RHC, intercepting illegal imports from Danor, using his race to belay suspicions of his loyalty. He has spent time working his way into various smuggling rings, then using them to hunt out monsters that live in the shadows of the worker district, either killing the beasts or the smugglers, a win in both outcomes. To prove his false loyalty, he has been forced to commit a number of questionable acts, and he is starting to feel that he can no longer tell where the line is, or if he has crossed it. Because of his time undercover, he has knowledge of a number of savory characters and organizations. He is not smart enough to design his own technology, instead relying on his magical powers and personality, further distancing himself from his racial origins, able to maintain and understand technology, and appreciate how powerful it is. His sister having been killed designing new weapons in Danor, he has foresworn the nation of his birth, and focuses his life to preventing these new tools from falling into the wrong hands.
    The shadows lurking in pall of Risur's industry are elusive -- in a few cases, Taral has tracked these "shadows" to gang members, disgusting vermin (some bizarrely deformed) and serial murderers (including one that was attempting reconstruct the occult practices of the long-dead witches of Cauldron Hill) but as yet has encountered nothing beyond his ken.

Perhaps the darkness the people feel that cannot be assuaged by prayer or song is a manifestation of a people ill-suited to cope with the hardships of industrial life, and the worst visions are the product sick, downtrodden, drunk and pepper-addled factory workers. Or perhaps a more tangible force -- or forces -- is at work in Bosum Strand, under Parity Lake and elsewhere in the city. After all, there are any number of strange disappearances -- cases of people vanishing from their tenements, replaced by the odor of an ill-maintained engine, as if they were devoured by an invisible locomotive that feeds on blood.

Smugglers, on the other hand, are an easier nut to crack. Criminals are always eager to get their hands on military-grade firearms, and a tiefling claiming to have a reliable friend in the Danoran Ministry of War would no doubt tempt many of them. Still, Taral's heritage is a mixed blessing to his work. Nobody wants to be accused to colluding with a Danoran agent, and some criminals put their anti-Danoran or ant-tiefling bigotry ahead of making a score.

Let me know if you have any specific ideas for informants. Since you've worked smuggling cases, you could know a Docker who occasionally tips you off when offloading some shady cargo, have a friend in a shipping company or import/export business, etc.

Aeric Silverspur
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aeric was born in the land of Ber, the son of an elven warlock and a human gunsmith. Unlike many of the interracial marriages, his parents loved each other very much. They had fled from the fighting in the Archipelago, settling in a small community of mostly dragonborn and a few eladrin refugees. The small community accepted the pair quickly, as his father's skills as a blacksmith, and his mother's connection to the feywild, ingratiated them into the town. His father set to work making tools and other implements for the townsfolk, often spending his days inventing or increasing the usefulness of various farm implements. At night, his father spent his time designing firearms, using designs he had in a book from a tiefling engineer of his acquaintance, tweaking the designs as best he could. After Aeric was born, the boy quickly took to helping his father with these designs, suggesting methods to make the guns more portable, or more reliable. On his 18th birthday, his father presented him with two pistols he had smithed himself, as he knew the urge for adventure had awoken in the young half-elf. With these guns and a dagger given to him by a local Dragonborn bard, Aeric set off for Risur to join the RHC, the unsung heroes of tales his parents told him. Even though he wasn't from Risur, Aeric felt a kinship with the nation and wished to join in its defense. As the son of a gunsmith and a warlock, he knew firsthand the destructive power of both magic and technology, and knew how dangerous they might be in untrained hands. He needed to stop them from getting into those hands.

Aeric was able to join the RHC, his skills with a dagger and thrown weapons, his skills creating and modifying guns, his slight divine powers, and his social skills, impressing the officer who allowed him to join. Aeric has spent most of his time dealing with foreigners believed to be smuggling, his time spent in Bin giving him a trustworthiness not posessed by others of the RHC. He is known in the organization as a proponent against overt racism towards the more monstrous races, specifically dragonborn, but he tries to not let his personal feelings get in the way of his duty.

Again, nice stuff. So Aeric's parents are Yerasol refugees and former Risuri nationals that emigrated to Ber and lived among dragonborn. It is probably the case that Aeric would not be too fond of the Crisillyiri and its Clergy, given their relationship with Ber and their pro-human bent. Your character might feel some conflict between the Beran Panoply philosophy and the more traditional Seedist values that most followers of Sehanine might cling to.

One of Aeric's informants might be a contact in a dragonborn enclave in Flint, or the Beran consulate.

I'm not sure Aeric would have "grown up" hearing tales of the RHC, has it is a relatively new organization. It still makes perfect sense that he'd want to join, though, given everything else you've established.

Edit: Also, if you want your character to have an accent, it would probably be Spanish-sounding -- though since your parents are Risuri, it might not be a strong accent.

Edit: I'm working on writing up a summary of what the New Team has been up to over the past couple weeks, leading into this adventure. I should have it posted sometime today. It will have been a somewhat eventful period of time for them as well -- ideally I'd lead in with a bit of a mini-adventure, but I don't want to overly delay having the party unite, so I'll probably just be a bit vague so as to avoid hijacking your characters' actions.
    Last edited by Tukka; 2012-12-07 at 12:38 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I must to-bed, working in less hours than I'd like, but I've finished my character, link in the signature. I will work on NPCs in the 'morrow, but I like a Docker informant for letting me know when things are coming in, and perhaps a laborer to give me heads up on street activity and someone to help identify what tech does/where it came from.

I don't mind a slight delay actually, as it will give me a better idea of how this group likes to play, and better info on the world itself. That, and my character can be introduced basically anywhere, at home base or imbedded within whatever organization they are fighting with at the moment.

With that "shadows" aspect cleared up, consider him pitting one evil against another. He has his smugglers fight gang and serial killers, and when he "runs out" of smugglers he gets a new group, using this tactic to double the good he can do, despite having to do a lot of bad to get into the groups in the first place.

His bard arcane will be just magic, divine fluffed as an extension of his psionic, and shadow is, well, the taint the job has left on him. He is also going to have an incredible Bluff score, as fitting with how much lying he does.

Edit: How does embedded gold work? Say a hoop earring that can be opened or closed to make or break a circle?
    Last edited by Tegu8788; 2012-12-07 at 12:53 AM.
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    How does embedded gold work? Say a hoop earring that can be opened or closed to make or break a circle?
    I believe the way it's supposed to work is that if any part of you is fully encircled by gold, you can't teleport or be teleported -- it's like you're chained to the earring's location. If the circle is broken, however, such as if the earring has a latch and the latch is opened, the gold does not inhibit teleportation. Similarly, it's impossible to teleport in to or out of areas fully encircled by gold, unless the gold border is broken.
    Last edited by Tukka; 2012-12-07 at 02:36 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Tukka View Post
    Here are some comments on the new PCs' backstories. If you guys want, you can discuss the ways in which you might know each other.

Some suggestions: Taral, Leif and Aeric are all members of the same RHC unit -- you've worked your past few cases together.

All of the PCs, are members of the RHC office in Flint. Unless you've made a particular effort to operate off-site, you know each others' faces, if not each others' names. Aurora might be an exception to this, as she's spent at least the past several weeks attached to an RHC team based in Slate.

Aeric Silverspur
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aeric was born in the land of Ber, the son of an elven warlock and a human gunsmith. Unlike many of the interracial marriages, his parents loved each other very much. They had fled from the fighting in the Archipelago, settling in a small community of mostly dragonborn and a few eladrin refugees. The small community accepted the pair quickly, as his father's skills as a blacksmith, and his mother's connection to the feywild, ingratiated them into the town. His father set to work making tools and other implements for the townsfolk, often spending his days inventing or increasing the usefulness of various farm implements. At night, his father spent his time designing firearms, using designs he had in a book from a tiefling engineer of his acquaintance, tweaking the designs as best he could. After Aeric was born, the boy quickly took to helping his father with these designs, suggesting methods to make the guns more portable, or more reliable. On his 18th birthday, his father presented him with two pistols he had smithed himself, as he knew the urge for adventure had awoken in the young half-elf. With these guns and a dagger given to him by a local Dragonborn bard, Aeric set off for Risur to join the RHC, the unsung heroes of tales his parents told him. Even though he wasn't from Risur, Aeric felt a kinship with the nation and wished to join in its defense. As the son of a gunsmith and a warlock, he knew firsthand the destructive power of both magic and technology, and knew how dangerous they might be in untrained hands. He needed to stop them from getting into those hands.

Aeric was able to join the RHC, his skills with a dagger and thrown weapons, his skills creating and modifying guns, his slight divine powers, and his social skills, impressing the officer who allowed him to join. Aeric has spent most of his time dealing with foreigners believed to be smuggling, his time spent in Bin giving him a trustworthiness not posessed by others of the RHC. He is known in the organization as a proponent against overt racism towards the more monstrous races, specifically dragonborn, but he tries to not let his personal feelings get in the way of his duty.

Again, nice stuff. So Aeric's parents are Yerasol refugees and former Risuri nationals that emigrated to Ber and lived among dragonborn. It is probably the case that Aeric would not be too fond of the Crisillyiri and its Clergy, given their relationship with Ber and their pro-human bent. Your character might feel some conflict between the Beran Panoply philosophy and the more traditional Seedist values that most followers of Sehanine might cling to.

One of Aeric's informants might be a contact in a dragonborn enclave in Flint, or the Beran consulate.

I'm not sure Aeric would have "grown up" hearing tales of the RHC, has it is a relatively new organization. It still makes perfect sense that he'd want to join, though, given everything else you've established.

Edit: Also, if you want your character to have an accent, it would probably be Spanish-sounding -- though since your parents are Risuri, it might not be a strong accent.
    I figure my character would speak with a bit of an accent, and Spanish works. It makes sense considering his background. It would really only hint at his origins, rather than make him seem full-blown foreigner.

I was hoping for some conflict with his religion, if only from the Clergy's treatment of non-humans. He does think there is a peaceful solution for the differences though, at least he hopes. He has created a sort of hybrid version between the Beran panoply and the seedist values that he uses. Works well since he is happy with his duel heritage and doesn't feel very conflicted about that, so his religion gives him a new pull between two things.

I was hoping one of my contacts could be like a Dragonborn bard in Flint, or a Dragonborn scribe in the Ber consulate seems perfect. As for other contacts, I'd like someone connected to the magic operahouse if at all possible, and then maybe a person who fixes the gas lamplights? (I think you asked for three possible contacts.)

Also, for flavor purposes, any magic he does is very much of a divine bent. Like for Enchant Firearms stuff (and if I take ritual casting) I'll be using religion. His only arcane ability is a touch of the fey-pact from his mother (my half-elf dilletante eyebite power). He is not an evangelist though, only talking about Sehanine to those who ask.

I getting really excited for this game!

Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Zombie

John Tinton has probably observed you at some point, making a mental note of who you are and any abilities he has observed, You might not have even noticed him there at the RHC. He is quiet and keeps to himself. His looks are very unremarkable and his lack of people skills ensure that any meeting will be less than memorable.
    He is very curious about gadgets and technology and has been known to treat his inventions like old friends.
    He has commited himself to his current disguise of a half-elf primalist and will only answer right now to Tintau.

17. - Top - End - #17

Zombie

Also if it makes everyone else feel better even the "veteran" players have been on hiatus for so long this is all a bit new to us too :)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    I must to-bed, working in less hours than I'd like, but I've finished my character, link in the signature. I will work on NPCs in the 'morrow, but I like a Docker informant for letting me know when things are coming in, and perhaps a laborer to give me heads up on street activity and someone to help identify what tech does/where it came from.
    That works, although a lot of the tech questions could probably be answered by the party's resident artificer/technologist, John. Still, having someone actively working inside the industrial apparatus would be useful. It could be someone relatively high-ranking as well (a regional manager for an industrial outfit, or a factory owner perhaps), keeping in mind that while your informants should want to help you, they're looking out for themselves first.

Also, I don't know if this is explicitly stated in the Players' Guide, but most of the factories in Flint are producing goods that have some sort of military application, since the whole move to industrialize was a push by the crown to keep pace with Danoran military tech. Of course, the industry has produce many spinoffs that have civilian/commercial/academic application.

With that "shadows" aspect cleared up, consider him pitting one evil against another. He has his smugglers fight gang and serial killers, and when he "runs out" of smugglers he gets a new group, using this tactic to double the good he can do, despite having to do a lot of bad to get into the groups in the first place.
    That also works. There are a lot of troublemakers in Flint.

• There are all of your common urban criminals -- gang members, lone wolves, con artists, etc. The country's recent history of warfare has left many with know little else but violence, who find they have no place in society during peace.
    • In the Cloudwood (and to some extent, the Nettles), criminals of the less urban variety can be found -- bandits, highwaymen, as well as fugitives from the city proper.
    • The police can also be a surly lot, and many are outright corrupt (the RHC is less prone to petty corruption and gets more respect from the people).
    • As a sort of counterculture movement, the Dockers often clash with the police, and their demonstrations/performances have occasionally broken out into riots. Many Dockers have a casual disregard for the law, and much of their "performance art" takes the form of vandalism. However, most Dockers their livings by hard, mostly honest work.
    • Adherents to the Vekeshi philosophy will sometimes commit murders or acts of terrorism, though rarely and according to a logic that most outsiders can't discern (then again, most don't care to).
    • Fey saboteurs, aligned with the infamous eladrin Gale are also active in the city. Primarily a mix of those committed to the Old Faith and Vekeshi adherents/sympathizers, this group seldom kills, but has claimed responsibility for numerous acts of industrial sabotage.
    Last edited by Tukka; 2012-12-07 at 02:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, so Leif Haust is my character. I need to update her sheet to reflect her theme (I only just found the magazine that the theme is in ), but there's not much else to do after that. I think I might just spend the 520gp to make her Greatsword into a Bloodclaw Greatsword.

That'll be another 3 damage on top of her melee damage, so it all adds up.
    Last edited by Infernally Clay; 2012-12-07 at 03:24 PM.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I understand that the group artificer would make the best for tech questions, but prior to meeting him, Taral would need someone else. But the manager of a factory would be really good, he want's his workers safe, his property unvandalized, and his competitors from getting an unfair leg up. And he might have the pull needed to get us access to gear if we need it.

I'd like to include some work countering Gale and her Fey saboteurs. Maybe the Docker can be a source for illegal activity, because Taral can keep the corrupt cops off his back, and get his back on the streets quicker after a protest. Or the manager doesn't want his shop burned.

Also, he is going to be a follower of the Pragati philosophy, so Vekesh terrorists will be an interesting meeting. Most of what I have him doing is being sly and manipulative, which is fun, but he does need some group from his past that he's taken arms against. Blade to blade with eladrin, magic swordsmen versus magic swordsmen.

As a third contact, maybe someone in the North Shore, working on the dead prostitutes case. Maybe a land-owner whose favorite druid has gone missing, and is paying Taral find out where the girl is being held.

So, using money from the land-owner Taral buys prototypes from the manager and sells them to the smugglers the Docker informs him about. He then uses the smugglers as a crew to hamper gangs, overing to set up deals but making sure things for south every time to ensure a shoot out. He then uses his left over money to bribe the staff of various land-owners for info, as well as kicking some back to the Docker, and returning the prototypes (that have now been live tested) to the manager. Where he then returns to tracking the crimes of the North Shore, dealing with the less than effective local police and tight lipped rich folk, running into Fey saboteurs in a number of the high profile locations.

If that's too much, I can simply, but I'm the kind of guy that thought Inception was easy to follow, and thinks in patterns similar to those portrayed in the recent Sherlock movies.

And did I interpret correctly, that Taral has already dealt with the Ragman? And am I the only one that finds it ironic how many divine characters we have for a world that is just shy of Dark Sun?
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Falconknight06
    As for other contacts, I'd like someone connected to the magic operahouse
    Yep, that's fine. Feel free to give a name for your contacts and some basic personality traits, racial characteristics, or whatever else you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788
    I understand that the group artificer would make the best for tech questions, but prior to meeting him, Taral would need someone else. But the manager of a factory would be really good, he want's his workers safe, his property unvandalized, and his competitors from getting an unfair leg up. And he might have the pull needed to get us access to gear if we need it.
    Yeah, that kind of relationship makes sense. The RHC quartermaster is usually pretty good about OKing the constables' requisitions, but the paperwork can sometimes be a hassle, and for some items you may want to keep things off the books.

Also, note that the working conditions most factories is pretty abysmal. Fatal accidents are common, the hours are long, child labor is utilized, and from what you've seen, most managers/owners view their workers as little more than a disposable commodity. At least that's the attitude towards unskilled labor. Educated technicians and arcanists are tend to be better treated.

And did I interpret correctly, that Taral has already dealt with the Ragman? And am I the only one that finds it ironic how many divine characters we have for a world that is just shy of Dark Sun?
    I think it might make sense to chalk up the occult serial killer you've had a brush with as a Ragman copycat (honestly, I had forgotten some of the details of the Ragman murders when I suggested the details of that case). The Ragman would be a high-profile collar for a level 1 party with Prestige 1 with Flint and Risur. Your characters, at this point would be more or less rookies -- albeit very promising rookies in Risur's elite law enforcement and homeland defense organization

You could have been involved in two or three major operations, but probably haven't yet taken the lead on anything really big time yet. The Machiavellian scheming and plotting is great though -- your experience and the scope of your actions are limited, but the approach and most of the basic details are fine.

Also, I'm not too familiar with Dark Sun. I would say that the party composition would be odd if they were Danoran agents, but south of the Avery Sea, religion is still an important part of most peoples' daily lives (Flint is more cosmopolitan/secular than most of Risur).

It's kind of like Eberron, actually. Divine magic works fine (most places), but the gods are silent. Everyone is nervous that another war will break out. Technology is on the rise (though in Eberron, it's of a somewhat more magical bent). I think this setting is a bit gloomier than Eberron, though. But not as bleak as Dark Sun, which is kind of post-apocalyptic?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Alright then, I'll tone some things down a bit. I could say my character has been "on the beat" for a long time, but given how little of his experience has been actually his, and more letting others fight for him, he hasn't actually gained much experience (levels) yet, or perhaps his taking instructions from his handler, after the last guy got made. A handler that can get killed, making him take instructions from the next guy up the ladder, that integrates him into the existing party when the time comes perhaps.

How about these guys for contacts?

Rilif Hunsby-A Gnomish Docker that always has his diminutive thumb on the pulse of the city. Using illusionary magics to entertain crowds, because few actually pay attention to his face he is able to sneak around when he wants, and is often overlooked by those that would do better to be wary of the little eve's dropper. In exchange for a little kick back and reduced hassle from the police, Rilif keeps Taral informed about less than legal going-ons at the docks. He loves his craft, and believes in self expression, his own flavor of the Great Man doctrine, always trying to find better ways to make others share his feelings. He has no problem using others for his own ends, and enjoys playing the game of cat and mouse with Taral, getting all kinds of heroic tales he casts himself as the hero in, without actually taking any risks. If pressed he will easily give information, but the accuracy of it is highly suspect, and his ability to hold a grudge is vast. As is his ability to exact revenge against those that slight him, manipulating the masses with songs and poems.

Aida Gates-A half-elf Manager of a local factory who is concerned about Fey saboteurs and criminal break ins. She is keenly aware that her lineage makes her a target, and because of this other factories aren't afraid of bullying her around. She is also certain that some of her competitors are using smuggled Danor technologies and passing them off as their own. While she has no love for her employees, she is aware that replacing them is sometimes more hassle than it's worth, and that if they are busy working for her, they are not in a gang throwing rocks through her windows. The uneducated masses have to be controlled, and better her than anyone else. Taral allows her to keep her competitors from getting too far ahead of her, test out prototypes without dealing with red-tape, and making a small profit from it. She thinks of him as another resource to use, and while she is annoyed when he asks things of her, she is aware in the back of her mind how important his actions have been to her success. By cleaning up the streets around where her labors dwell, they are able to work harder, and Taral is able to get warnings of unrest from them.

Gath Excron-A human that owns a parcel of land close to the north-most tip of the Parity Lake, he has been paying a favored Elven Druid for years to keep his beaches clear, and according to certain rumors, for other services rendered. Recently however, his beach has been soot covered, no made whom he pays. Aware of the trafficking of women, he has made numerous requests to the local authorities, but to no avail. He wants his Druid back, and is willing to pay for her back, despite being aware that anyone that returns her is likely the ones that took her in the first place. Taral was assigned to handle him, but pictures of the elf reminds him of his own murdered sister, and has taken a personal interest in the case, and the sheer number of women that have been taken disturbs him. The fact that it allows him to fund his other projects is icing on the cake. He isn't particularly interested in the particulars of Taral's investigations, as long as he makes progress, and has taken to hiring those Taral manages to rescue from the traffickers, hoping to hear of his druid. Being eccentric as many of the wealth are, he also makes a point of having Taral handle all RHC business, the Tiefling having "already been trained" how Gath likes things.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

I'll have my contacts done by tomorrow. Brain is currently fried from data analysis. Need vidjagames to unwind.

Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Falconknight06 View Post
    I'll have my contacts done by tomorrow. Brain is currently fried from data analysis. Need vidjagames to unwind.
    I hear ya, no rush.

I'll post the synopsis of what the New Team has been up to sometime tomorrow, so we ought to be able to get started shortly thereafter.

25. - Top - End - #25

OK, so far I've got names, races, and jobs for my possible contacts. I'll edit this post with more backstory's as I develop them if necessary.

Contacts for Aeric Silverspur

Perra Farseer the Dragonborn Bard
    Spoiler
    Show

-A part-time scribe at the Ber embassy, she is often called upon to play at certain diplomatic functions, as her knowledge of Ber music is near unparallelled. She met Aeric at one of the Ber Panoplys, and they both ended up in Flint, where they have helped each other adjust to the large city.
    -She is a good contact as to the goings on in diplomatic circles, although she is still pretty low on the totem pole, so she lacks a lot of insider information past what she is able to glean at parties for other diplomats.

Banran Tasslefoot the Halfling Lamplighter
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Banran is an older Halfling man who has lived in Flint for all of his life. He grew up on the streets, picking pockets and fencing goods for older thieves, and learning the trade. He quickly took to the stealthier arts, and rose his way up the group of thieves he was in. The law caught up with him after a while though, and he spent about 10 years in prison.
    -When he got out, he decided to lay a little lower, taking his nimble fingers and fearless nature to the world of maintaining Flint's many gaslamps. Aeric's roguish nature has endeared him to the old Halfling, who is often more than happy to show his old tricks to the Half-elf. He is also one of the more knowledgeable citizens when it comes to ways to get around the city quickly, and schedules of gaslight maintenance. These are both very useful for one who relies on stealth in Flint.

Sylia LeFleur the Human Operahouse Stage Manager
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Sylia and Aeric's relationship has always been a bit volatile. There were periods where they were friends, ones where the were enemies, and times when they were more then friends. Sylia was one of the first people Aeric met when he first got to Flint, and Sylia was a young woman working in a bakery near the opera house.
    -Any free time Aeric had during his first few years in the city, he would spend at that bakery, talking to Sylia and listening to the faint music escaping the opera house. The two quickly became friends, then more than that. Then Aeric became part of a sting by the RHC taking out the head Baker who was laundering money for Danor smugglers. With the Baker in prison, Sylia was out of a job, and she blamed Aeric. On their third anniversary as a couple, Sylia accused Aeric of using her for his job, and she left in a huff. Aeric was heartbroken.
    -It would be a year before they saw each other again. By that point, Sylia had gotten a job at the operahouse as a stagemanager, and had either realized the truth, or forgiven Aeric for his part in the sting. They tried to rekindle the romance, but the spark seemed gone. They have become good friends once again though, and are willing to help each other when it is needed.
    -Sylia is often able to document the comings and goings of many of the nobles in Flint, as many enjoy being seen and seeing others at the opera house. And who would suspect the stage manager was observing people for a member of the RHC. Her greatest help has been letting Aeric know when a certain noble was out of his manor house, allowing the RHC group Aeric was a member of to break in and find evidence of his alliance with some anti-Risur separatists.
    -If Aeric has any weak-link in his alliances in town, it is Sylia. Despite them no longer being romantic, Sylia is on of Aeric's dearest friends and he would prefer she stays out of danger.
    Last edited by Falconknight06; 2012-12-08 at 07:34 PM.

Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Looks good, Falconknight.

I'm going to open the adventure up for play now.

So everyone can head over to the IC Thread and read the summary for your group.

Try not to kill each other. ;)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Awwwwwwwww...
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

I hope you guys are OK with my intro. I figure anyone whose passive perception beats my stealth would know I was coming, and be ready to face me and my failure of at intimidation.

Also, I know this is early to talk about, do you guys know what paragon path you might be taking? I actually might go with a Cleric one, since I can, and I'd get some cool abilities. I'm currently liking Angelic Avenger.
    Last edited by Falconknight06; 2012-12-09 at 12:38 AM.

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

I've never gotten past level 5, so no. I can pull of anything Paladin, Bard, Warlock, Tiefling, or Psionic augmentation based. Preferably Cha based, that will help him be a Face and/or fill all party roles. So a normally weak path may be ideal for him. I'll make my intro in the morn', likely to include getting singed a bit.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

I realize I railroaded you guys a bit (especially the new players) to get you together. I wanted to have you guys get together in a way that didn't seem too unbelievable and didn't want to risk one group or the other getting in an encounter that would take a week or two to resolve.

If you have any specific questions about what happened during that time or if there's something you think you would have done, let me know and I'll try to accommodate you.