Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Dungeonvania [OOC]

OOC OOC Notes:

Spoiler
    Show
    Wow, my first ever hosted OOC Thread...

...Oh dear lord I'm nervous now.

In any case, sign in one last time for me! Everyone will be new arrivals unless specifically asking to be a native to the region. I'll have your IC ready by tomorrow.

I'm hoping for an update a week at least, preferably near the middle of the week. Everyone's got lives to live, understandably so, but I'm hoping we can still keep up a good pace, if possible.

I better start this off right....

Dungeonvania [OOC]
    Dungeonvania [IC]

The Fortress of Blood... a dreaded bastion, host to spirits most foul, and monsters most abominable. Once thought to be the stronghold of the Lord of Darkness, who sought the destruction of the world.

Time and time again, it has been summoned from the darkest pits, to be used as the site of profane rituals in the Dark Lord's name. Time and time again, it is manipulated by the forces of evil, be it guided by the hands of the fiends themselves, or tampered with by mortals dabbling in forces they do not truly understand.

And time and time again, those that attempt to control its power have been struck down. Many a heroic hand have quested to see its return back to the abyss, for the protection of the innocent and for the safety of justice. Many a greedy adventurer have armed themselves to seek out its riches, ready to defend themselves against the horrors within. Many a warrior have trained their bodies, minds, and blades, and the dark forces served as an additional challenge. Regardless of motives, heroes have repelled evil's call throughout history.

But that was history. The light from the sun has grown dim, the difference between day and night marked mostly by the eerie crimson glow of the moon. Whispers, rumors, messages for help, and magical knowledge, reveal that, over a small island within a land locked lagoon, a foreboding fortress has appeared, and around it, hell has started to overtake the natural world. The undead rise again, seeking living flesh, and demons and devils make their presence known. An unearthly fog coats the ground, and the howls of various beasts can be heard for miles.

Who will face this threat what returns to threaten the land once again?
    The 16, for completeness:

Spoiler
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 edition.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Gestalt. Non Specific Fantasy Setting.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

I would like to see around 6-8 players, but will take no more than 10-12ish, and no less than 4ish. BelGareth has an additional spot as a DMPC and CoDM to help fill slots, keep the game alive, and assist me and anyone else who needs it, hence the roundish numbers. I'll accept the first 20 applicants and stop recruiting after that, though I doubt I'll get quite that many to look through.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Giantitp Play By Post. Create Sheets on Myth Weavers.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Right at 5th Level, hopefully to go to near epic.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Standard for the character's level.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Some of the puzzles will require positive energy manipulation, so a source of Turn Undead would be beneficial to the potential party.

Additionally, I would be tickled pink to see someone play a Whip using hero. Whip or Spiked Chain. Just because it's thematically appropriate.

No homebrew classes, not for a first game.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Run them by me first if not from core, but most likely anything from a book allowed. No homebrew races, not for a first game.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

Max Hit Points at All Levels, and 40 pt. buy.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Specific Class Alignment Restrictions can be waived if necessary for the character. However, I would -prefer- Non Evil characters. It's easier for me to point Good at Evil than it is Good & Evil, or Evil, vs. Good... or Evil. If you really want to play an Evil character, I won't be opposed to it, but I'd prefer Non Evil.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

You are not allowed to advance a Theurge Class on one side of the Gestalt without meeting all of the spell requirements on that specific side of the Gestalt. And don't you dare try a double Theurge. I'm hoping for a Tier 3ish grade party (ie non gamebreaking characters, not specifically Tier 3 characters). Other than that, no restrictions when it comes to multicasting. And yes, you can advance two prestige classes at the same time, provided you qualify for both.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Players roll in the IC, spoiled under their post's actions. Reroll in the OOC. If needed, I might roll passive checks for you, but my rolls are private for the most part.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Gestalt, again with the reminder of the rules on Theurges and allowing prcs on both sides.

Bab and Saves are calculated fractionally.

Traits and Flaws determined by submission. I'm allowing up to 4 of each per character, but they have to actually be relevant to your character! Noncombatant and Shaky don't count on a non-offensive caster, for example. Likewise, the melee character that intends to not read anything taking Illiteracy as a flaw will be frowned upon.

Interested in using a Modified Class Defense Bonus and the Armor as Damage Reduction Bonus, but not necessary.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Apply the Skirt Rule. Level 5 means you've had to have at least done something in your life before this adventure. Trained under a wise master, fought a few bar fights, worked a farm, etcetera. Whether you lived at the starting port town located on the edge of the lagoon (the Siren's Pearl), were ordered there or traveled there because of the rumors, that's where the adventure starts, so that's where your backstory needs to have placed you.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

This adventure will be primarily Hack & Slash, with some Puzzles and some Roleplaying. But mainly Hack & Slash. This is a Dungeon Crawler, not a Sand Box, to give me some experience as a DM.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

If I can find the book, I'll usually allow it, and that includes Dungeon or Dragon Magazine Material, as well as 3.0 material. At least so long as it isn’t too cheesy. However, no homebrew. Not for a first game.

Don't you dare ask me if I approve Tome of Battle or not. Warblades get their 2nd stance at 5th Level, Swordsages get x4 skill points at 1st Level, and Crusaders get their stances at the same levels a Warblade would (1st, 5th, 10th and 16th). No Iron Heart Surging enemies away. Stone Dragon has its movement and position limitations removed. Deepstone Sentinel is required to stay on the ground, rather than only move 5 feet, to activate its abilities.

And the team so far:

Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Player|Character Name (link your sheet)|Age|Gender|Allignment|Race|Build
    Lexin|Xander Ar'Dan|17|Male|Chaotic Neutral|Spellwarped Kalashtar|Kineticist 5// LA +3/ Monk 1/ Warblade 1
    TriumphantHero|Sendale|116|Male|Neutral Good|Arctic Elf|Binder 4/Unarmed Swordsage 1//Warblade 5
    NekoIncardine|Rina Ortiz|22|Female|True Neutral|Human|Bard 5 // Telepath 5
    Duncfoo|Burlow Stoneface|120|Male| Neutral Good|Dwarf|Bard 5 // Favored Soul 5
    LoneMage210|Melody Erudite|20|Female|Chaotic Good|Azurin|Soulborn 5//Rogue 5
    HandofCrom|Johann Skellan|27|Male|Neutral|Human|Binder 5//Scout 4/Ranger1
    [/table]

Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Player|Character Name (link your sheet)|Age|Gender|Allignment|Race|Build
    Dreamshifter|Alexios Komnonos|27|Male|Lawful Good|Human|Werewolf 5//Monk 2/Paladin 3
    Zman|Ivy|212|Female|Neutral Good|Pixie|LA 4/Sorcerer 1//Fighter 1/Wizard 3/Spellsword 1
    Hellfire014|Garland Tengu|23|Male|Neutral Good|Crane Hengeyoukai|Swordsage5//Cloistered Cleric4/Ordained Champion1
    Medic! | Simon Lashgravel | 48 | Male | NG | Dwarf | Duskblade 5 // Spontaneous Cleric 5
    Blue Lantern|Alurn|21|Male|Neutral Good|Human Half Vampire|Half Vampire/Warblade 3//Sorcerer 5
    [/table]

Spoiler
    Show

Bindin Garoth|Mark Walker|15|Male|CN|Strongheart Halfling|Dragonfire Adept 5//Factotum 5
    [/table]

Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2013-05-19 at 08:45 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeonvania [OOC]

Wih such a delay, you may want a day or two role call to see if everyone is still interested.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Zman View Post
    Wih such a delay, you may want a day or two role call to see if everyone is still interested.
    Ugh, I knew I should have made that decision earlier... I'll check in on the other 11 tomorrow evening if I don't get a response. I'd like to be able to at least try to Dm before my first game ever falls apart...

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Ugh, I knew I should have made that decision earlier... I'll check in on the other 11 tomorrow evening if I don't get a response. I'd like to be able to at least try to Dm before my first game ever falls apart...
    Also, we're you planning on breaking the group of 12 into smaller subgroups with their own IC threads? Otherwise, having this many people in one thread will move very slowly and may not survive.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Buzzing in here, Melody is a new arrival to the region herself.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yay, second in! No wait, someone posted while I was typing this up No fair!

Suggestion: It might be nice to have the table of all of the players in the beginning post. I usually find it helpful. Plus the 16.

Pyromaniacs unite!

Being a pyromaniac, I'll take Darkred
    homebrew

Interesting Stuff: Spellshapers, Metroid as Incarnum

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Bindin, this is why I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamshifter View Post
    ...I think my poor Monkadin just went to go get drunk. That's not a natural thing for him to do, at all. Thanks bindin.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Just a note to interrupt this deluge of happy "I got accepted players" from the Co-DM.

Be aware, some more player cuts may come down the line.
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

“Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi”
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

8. - Top - End - #8

Ivy wants Bolded Cyan as a speech color.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

{TABLE=head]Player|Character Name|Age|Gender|Alignment|Build
    Hellfire014|Garland Tengu|23|Male|Neutral Good|Swordsage5//Cloistered Cleric4/Ordained Champion1[/TABLE]

Garland is here.

*looks @ INoKnowNames's pic* I can't hold it in anymore! I'm sorry!
    "How many foal necromatic colts do we need to exterminate before the world becomes stable again?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Sendale here, claiming Navy his own name. Also slightly pyromaniacal, so we can be pyrofriends.
    The Triumphant Hero Returns Victorious...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Zman View Post
    Also, we're you planning on breaking the group of 12 into smaller subgroups with their own IC threads? Otherwise, having this many people in one thread will move very slowly and may not survive.
    That's actually somewhat the plan I've been considering, assuming all 12 post every week. I suspect a few droppers, though.

Just a note to interrupt this deluge of happy "I got accepted players" from the Co-DM.

Be aware, some more player cuts may come down the line.
    While I do accept this wll be quite the challenge for me, note that I am not confirming this just yet. Let's just see who all is still even around.

BelGareth, I should have a message for you in just a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfire014 View Post
    *looks @ INoKnowNames's pic* I can't hold it in anymore! I'm sorry!
    "How many foal necromatic colts do we need to exterminate before the world becomes stable again?"
    *bro fist*

Quote Originally Posted by TriumphantHero View Post
    Sendale here, claiming Navy his own name. Also slightly pyromaniacal, so we can be pyrofriends.
    ... how many crazy pyros do we have in this game!?!

In any case, please feel free to tell me anything I do wrong... hopefully the Op Post looks a bit more professional now. You guys like? See anything I should add?

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by TriumphantHero View Post
    Yes! Pyrofiends friends unite!

Oh, and btw, since we're pyrofriends, your pyro-spells get a +1 to their DC's. For being my friend and all. But you have to stay within 30ft!

I like the idea of smaller groups..... Especially if one group is all pryofriends. Or stick the monkadin in and watch him drink while we set the world on fire.

I like the picture! Is the moon red from being set on fire? on second thought, might need the shades.

There!

And yes, if you couldn't tell, I'm in a good mood right now. No, I did not set anything on fire.

Mark Walker, for reference.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

...I think my poor Monkadin just went to go get drunk. That's not a natural thing for him to do, at all. Thanks bindin.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Johann is still itching with the archetypical need to seek revenge on his nemesis and assorted other baddies who share guilt by association.

EDIT: Since I look like the main nature boy, though my I see him looking like a Warhammer Fantasy witch hunter, I'll go with Green
    Last edited by HandofCrom; 2012-11-30 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Conversation color

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by bindin garoth View Post
    I like the idea of smaller groups..... Especially if one group is all pryofriends. Or stick the monkadin in and watch him drink while we set the world on fire.
    The Monkadin might like that, kind of. It'd actually get him and his Wolf to agree (since the Wolf prefers raw meat).

That said, Alexios is reporting in. I'll get his equipment done shortly (I've been slacking, I admit it). Nothing game breaking, I promise. As for color, I'd prefer Something like this, but I fear it'd be a bit close to Garland's color. If so, I'd probably go with something more neutral.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Oh, I don't have spells, I just use a spiked chain made of fire to kill things. If someone takes energy substitution and creaking cacophany or energy vulnerability to make our enemies weak vs fire, it will be positively nasty.
    The Triumphant Hero Returns Victorious...

16. - Top - End - #16

Simon Lashgravel will speak in the painful, horrible, nearly impossible to read without highlighting: Bold Yellow
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

17. - Top - End - #17

Rina Ortiz's "speech" Will be in a shade of purple akin to that of her hair.

I would like to suggest the convention that telepathy be in Courier New, colored to the speaker.
    Last edited by NekoIncardine; 2012-12-01 at 01:30 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Yay, it is starting.
    Now we finally can burn save the world and all of these things!

... Ah, and Xander will BURN THINGS speak in RED.

Ah, and he is slightly pyromaniac too.

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Alurn has arrived in the region and will fittingly speak Blood red (Well it's dark red, but close enough.)

Statblock if it might be useful.
    Alurn
    Male NG Half Vampire Human Warblade 3//Sorcerer 5, Level 5, Init +8, HP 64/64, DR 5/silver, Speed 30 ft
    AC 15, Touch 15, Flat-footed 11, Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +5, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Longsword +1 +8 (1d8+4, 19-20/×2)
    Slam +7 (1d6+3, x2)
    (+4 Dex, +1 Misc)
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 19
    Condition None

EDIT: Damn dark red is already taken... I will switch to a nearly indistinguishable from black indigo
    Last edited by Blue Lantern; 2012-12-01 at 06:34 AM.
    After years of disintoxication I'm back in the D&D tunnel

"I don’t understand God. I don’t understand how He could see the way people treat one another, and not chalk up the whole human race as a bad idea. I guess He’s just bigger about it than I would be."
    Jim Butcher-Dresden Files, book 3

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Lexin View Post
    Yay, it is starting.
    Now we finally can burn save the world and all of these things!

... Ah, and Xander will BURN THINGS speak in RED.

Ah, and he is slightly pyromaniac too.
    Good! Now we have three to our cause!

Let us unit and save the world until it's ashes

If you pay attention to the picture in the beginning, the moon is on fire. That was because of us
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

You pyros are going to love Rina's Dragonfire Inspiration.

The effect, summarized? Add (right now at least) 4d6 fire damage to every weapon strike (that hits).

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Completely OOC Comment: How many of you guys are prepared to light things on fire!?! Jesus, is this a Monofire Nuzlocke or something!?!

23. - Top - End - #23

BardGuy

Uhh, eventually (level 11, due to lost caster levels) I'll be able to spontaneously cast Flame Strike... I'll go sit with the pyros.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Well, what better element to deal with sparking things that must not be named
    Luckly if you move fast enough you won't get burned [cit... sort off]
    After years of disintoxication I'm back in the D&D tunnel

"I don’t understand God. I don’t understand how He could see the way people treat one another, and not chalk up the whole human race as a bad idea. I guess He’s just bigger about it than I would be."
    Jim Butcher-Dresden Files, book 3

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Melody Erudite checking in wtih sheet, claming the color Green

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Completely OOC Comment: How many of you guys are prepared to light things on fire!?! Jesus, is this a Monofire Nuzlocke or something!?!
    Yea, this is a monofire nuzlocke, except you can't catch any new Pokemon because we burned down all of your pokeballs

And besides, what's more fun that fire that sticks to people and entangles them!
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Zombie

Burlow Stoneface will be doing his best to keep you all alive so he can get his story. Color with be Olive Green

I am just getting over a pretty mean flu. I may be slow for a few days.
    I am currently looking to join one more game. Mage, D&D 3.5, Patherfinder and D&D 4th are all acceptable.

Character Sheet Links:

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Duncfoo View Post
    Burlow Stoneface will be doing his best to keep you all alive so he can get his story. Color with be Olive Green

I am just getting over a pretty mean flu. I may be slow for a few days.
    *waves hands* Hey Dunfoo!

And see, now we have a healer to support us as we burn it all down! Are flames are supported by the gods themselves. And lo, here the unworthy shall burn in our everlasting glory!
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bindin garoth View Post
    Yea, this is a monofire nuzlocke, except you can't catch any new Pokemon because we burned down all of your pokeballs

And besides, what's more fun that fire that sticks to people and entangles them!
    ... and this is where Melody comes in: If we run into someone with high-grade Fire Resistance (20 or higher) or worse Fire Immunity, she'll Scythe them in two.

30. - Top - End - #30

Hey, no need to worry about fire resistance/immunity.

Because if you have to worry about that, you're simply not using enough fire

Besides, I'll just slow em all!
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show