Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Spicing up Core Races

Well, my usual cycle of of "disappear for three months then re-appear with no explanation" has led me back to the Playground, and I've brought a curious question with me:

How do you spice up core races that have seen nigh on six decades of use? Every aspect of each of the usual non humans (Elves, Half-Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Gnomes and Half-Orcs) seems hackneyed and over done at this point.

So what would you do to make them interesting again?
    "One saving throw at a time."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Spicing up Core Races

For elves, I took their inability to sleep and made that a major focus of their fluff. Stole a bit of 40k's Eldar, too. Elves are refugees from Faerie, perpetually chased by vindicative fey. Their dreams give the fey a window of opportunity to attack them mentally, so elves spend much of their lives practising medititation techniques in order to become independent of sleep. Their meditiation also serves to come to terms with their long lives. Most of their memories, especially traumatic ones, are locked away. If they need them, they can review them while in trance. That means that, to other races, elves seem incredibly aloof and emotionless, and always slighty out of touch and unfocused, as if on some kind of drugs.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

That's pretty neat. I tried something different with my elves (Mainly because theyre some of the worse offenders in the cliched department) I turned back the clock as it were. They became decadent, amoral fae that live between the worlds, abducting humans for their amusement. I think it works pretty well.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

A starting point is to mix them with a generic culture and see where it goes. Like Viking Elves, (cannibal) Halfling Bushmen, Inca Dwarves, Indian Hobgoblins, Polynesian Orcs, and so on. Doesn't even need to be historically accurate, just use it as a first concept to develop into a unique culture.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor - Writing Sword & Sorcery
    Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Japanese Dwarves would be pretty interesting. Though I imagine they'd all look abit like Toshiro Mifune.

I think to really change them up, you have to change something very basic about them.

Like for instance, we know Dwarves as people who typically live underground, but what if we gave them a love of the sea instead? Dwelling in walled coastal ports full of rusting iron and salted air?

6. - Top - End - #6

I've done that too, a few times, as a thought experiment. Just pick a random race and a random culture. You get really interesting stuff like that: Chinese dwarves (Gunpowder, jade and paper, instead of gunpowder, gold and stone) or Roman Republic elves.

I also remember reading about someone developing the norse idea of maggot dwarves. Dwarves were made from maggots in the flesh of Ymir, the world giant. So, they are pale, hairless, burrowing and rather dirty.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2012-11-27 at 06:36 AM.
    "

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Elves
    Spoiler
    Show
    The elves were created by the god of the seasons and fae to act as warriors for his lands and were the first to be given divine magic. Also they have an innate bond with the wild so much that their soul is actually a living breathing fae which they can call out of the Fae Wild. Also overtime their bond to nature grows more and more until they undergo a painful transformation resulting in them transforming into a mundane animal.

They lived happily for two generations but afterword’s two cults were forged. One worshiped the primordials and thought that the world should be returned to its base elements. The Domễ cult believed that they deserve more gifts from their god who left them in the wilds without any tools or resources. The Primordial Cult were slain by the Divines for their blasphemy. The Cult of Domễ saw this as the Divines attacking and began a plan to kill the Divines before they destroyed all mortals.

They began to learn magic separate to divine. Using these new talents they tried to recreate the Primordial Cult to turn them into warriors of vengeance. But the reanimated creatures that come back weren't undead. They were first Demons. They were the first creatures to have died without worshipping a god. As such they had nowhere for their souls to go. These souls just drifted the Astral Sea until they reached Primus. He talked to these souls and corrupted them further than anything ever seen before.

These Demons then started to slaughter the Domễ cult. The survivors of the cult were exiled by the other elves to the plains of Sumra for betraying their creators. The cultists were branded the name Dunesti (Or Exiled Elves), while the others elves saw themselves as being true uncorrupted elves and adopted the name Newesti (True Elves).

After a year of the Dunesti travelling through the plains a blight fell upon them, the land of Sumra was transformed from its former virgin soil into a near lifeless desert.

Dwarves
    Spoiler
    Show
    Formed from Earth and Fire, the Dwarves and possess a strict caste system. Males have a bone horn on their chin. This horn was originally used in fights for dominance, similiar to the antlers of elk. As such, if shown without being covered it is a sign that you wish to fight, which is why it generally must be covered at all times.

This is why dwarves nearly always have beards, though some decide to similiar wear concealing clothing.

They have the following castes:
    • Slave: A Slave must know how to move through the city as fast as possible and innately knows how to travel through the Whisper Caves. Members of this caste have a climb speed of 20 feet.
    • Worker: A Worker must be able to work for as long as possible with low cost to resources. All members of this caste are resistant to tiring from overexerting themselves.
    • Artisan: An Artisan must be able to form the structures of the great dwarven cities. Members of this caste are adept at noticing unusual stonework, such as traps and hidden doors located in stone walls or floors. They receive a chance to notice such features whenever they pass within 10 feet of them, whether or not they are actively looking. In addition the Craft and Knowledge (Engineering) skills are always considered class skills for members of the Artisan caste.
    • Merchant: A Merchant is a trickster at heart who's life depends on his wares. Members of this caste are skilled in convincing an opponent that what they are saying is true when they tell a lie
    • Knight: A Knight is a strong warrior who must never falter. Members of this caste are skilled in resisting bull rush or trip attempts while standing on the ground. In addition they are also trained to overcome their fears in combat.
    • Noble: Members of this caste are much more diplomatic than most. Against Athach they have amazing amounts of persuading talent.
    • Jinn: A Jinn is a natural born mage that is imbued with fire, and as such can cast fire spells with innate skill. Also, a member of this caste can call on the elemental power lurking in its veins to shroud its arms in fire.

Gnomes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gnomes were forged from primordial magma by Rana, King of the Burning Sun. Rana filled each of these creatures with a great passion to create. Soon these crafters started to develop a society in the Tulvarn Mountains. Gnomish culture was in a near constant renaissance, with the hundreds of gnomish inventors, artists, and researchers. As their numbers grew the Gnomes dug deep into Keran, but they soon reached the underdark. Within these dark depths they made contact with a strange species known as the Koumarn. But their wasn't any conflict, instead the two cultures made a deal; the Gnomes would gain access to Koumarn technology to supplement their own Steam-powered technology, and in return the Gnomes would give the Koumarn knowledge about Keran.

This partnership went for 100 years, but ended once the Koumarn had all of the Gnomish knowledge. But the gnomes were desperate, they didn't want to lose the possibility of getting more of the highly advanced technology.
    So the Gnomes created a weapon for the Koumarn. The Aegis were hulking living titans of crystal, and a hybrid of Koumarn and Gnomish technology.

With these new weapons in their command the Koumarn started to lay siege to the surface of Keran, this was known as the Aliēnus War. The Dragon Isles took the most of the attack, hundreds of kobolds were taking captive, and thousands more were killed. During this invasion the Koumarn left the gnomes to command the Aegis which ran the prisons. When the Aegis gained sentience at the hands of the Kobolds and all the prisoners started to escape, the blame turned to the gnomes. The Koumarn killed the leaders of the Gnomish people as a punishment for their failure and exiled them from the underdark.

The Gnomes left, but when they returned to the surface, they were attacked by those who suffered in the war. Thus the Gnomes decided to build away from the other species. Aquiter was the result. Aquiter was a colossal metallic city which floated on the ocean. But the Kobolds held a severe grudge. They used magic to pierce the illusions of the Gnomes and after many years located Aquiter.

The kobolds annihilated it, killing most of the Gnomes within. Ever since the Gnomes were a dying race; their home destroyed, most of their technology had been lost, they were viewed with distrust. But there is a glimmer of hope, as the North Karmainian's allow them into their lands in return for having to help them in the war against Sumra.

Because of this, most Gnomes are nomadic merchants which sell the last remnants of their civilisation to passersby in hopes of surviving for another generation.

Humans
    Spoiler
    Show
    Called Karmainians, they possess a magic absorbing metal (Dead Iron) in their blood making them resistant to most forms of magic. In addition they have been at war with Sumra for many years which has made them suspicious of arcane casters. This has now developed into such a state where simply being a wizard is a crime, and you are punished by them forcefully inserting the Dead Iron into your body.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ponderthought View Post
    Well, my usual cycle of of "disappear for three months then re-appear with no explanation" has led me back to the Playground, and I've brought a curious question with me:

How do you spice up core races that have seen nigh on six decades of use? Every aspect of each of the usual non humans (Elves, Half-Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Gnomes and Half-Orcs) seems hackneyed and over done at this point.

So what would you do to make them interesting again?
    My preference is to have multiple cultures for humans, rather than multiple races. This is depicted by providing a feat for each culture, skill bonuses, special weapons, and cultural substitution levels for various classes. We will never think the same way that a dwarf thinks. We will never feel the same things that an elf feels.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Thats actually an interesting point. While I don't really agree with you about the distance between the human player and the non-human character ( As they aren't really that dissimilar from us, simply culturally or physically slightly different) I think when writing about them, we tend to make them think like us. And that shouldn't necessarily be true. Dwarves and Elves, for instance, should probably have a lot more patience than your average human. They should take the long view.

Along the same lines, why are we always building other species as gigantic mono-cultures? It simply doesnt make sense.
    Last edited by Ponderthought; 2012-11-27 at 02:45 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

There's a couple different things I've thought about- mostly I've played, but with intent to GM eventually when time, group and planning come together.

Elves- PHB standard elves are exiles from Underhill, the losers in a play for power that went unseen by mortal eyes. Thus, they are condemned to mortality among us, with all the baggage of survival that comes with it. Gives a range for anything from 'French nobility fleeing the Revolution and trying to land on their feet' to 'gypsy-like wanderers playing on human fascination with their beauty'.

Orcs- a couple varieties, but my current favorite is to play with the idea that they *are* what comes of torturing old-style, immortal elves with iron. Thus, they are resilient, intelligent, and long-lived unless killed- and with their souls being turned away from both Underhill and the human Hall of Heroes, they reincarnate easily. Grungy, angry, resentful of being ruled but too brow-beaten to do much but fight and die for whoever bullies them the hardest- or worse, comes upon the secret of Pits, in which one can heap dead bodies and offal and appropriate alchemical noxiousness, and get cheap, slightly mad, near-grown soldiers that way. In cities where Pits are the dirty little secret of some dwarven factories, there's hints that there's a growing, organized movement to destroy any and all found.

The majority of orcs adventurers encounter are bands of bachelor males- the female warbands are statted as hobgoblins, disciplined, organized, and ruthlessly efficient when it comes to acquiring resources or defending their fortified settlements, where their children are reared.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

My elves have so many subraces because they have a mystical propensity for bonding with the land and changing to fit it. Have elves live on a mountain for long enough, and pretty soon, bam - they're "mountain elves". It can work for other themes besides terrain, too - I ripped off WOW's Blood Elves as a subrace which has been obsessed with vengeance for so long that it's literally who they are now. There are at least twelve subraces in my CW, ranging from pitiless Snow Elves to salt-of-the-earth Dun Elves, with the canonical races tending to be more or less in the middle.

I have a variety of spins on orcs, ranging from them being the thin-blooded descendants of a nightmarish race of ultimate survivors in the volcanic wasteland, to them subconsciously sensing their own impurity and attempting to breed themselves out of existence by assaulting humans to create half-orcs who will outcompete the originals.

Dwarves, gnomes and halflings, I got nothing.

12. - Top - End - #12

Thats actually an interesting point. While I don't really agree with you about the distance between the human player and the non-human character ( As they aren't really that dissimilar from us, simply culturally or physically slightly different) I think when writing about them, we tend to make them think like us. And that shouldn't necessarily be true. Dwarves and Elves, for instance, should probably have a lot more patience than your average human. They should take the long view.

Along the same lines, why are we always building other species as gigantic mono-cultures? It simply doesnt make sense.
    So, what is the point in having other species? If you're treating them as being basically human, similarly powered to humans with similar goals to humans and similar flaws, why bother having them? They're basically just humans at that point. What's the difference between a dwarf and a human mining culture? If you remove dwarfs from being a playable race, you open up your world to allowing more interesting dwarfs that the players can interact with.

If you really must play with humans in funny masks, you probably should make different cultures for each of them.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    My elves have so many subraces because they have a mystical propensity for bonding with the land and changing to fit it. Have elves live on a mountain for long enough, and pretty soon, bam - they're "mountain elves". It can work for other themes besides terrain, too - I ripped off WOW's Blood Elves as a subrace which has been obsessed with vengeance for so long that it's literally who they are now. There are at least twelve subraces in my CW, ranging from pitiless Snow Elves to salt-of-the-earth Dun Elves, with the canonical races tending to be more or less in the middle
    I do that with humans, to a degree. Just with planetouched instead of climatic subraces. If humans are born or conceived in areas of strong magic, they take on some of that magic. Hence tieflings are humans born on the lower planes, or under the influence of abyssal magic.
    "

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

It seems like the few times I post these days is just to explain why my “X race” is different

My “high” Elves are essentially the evil empire, formerly ruled the world as a theocratic empire built on the backs of slaves, but have decayed and now believe the current world is post-apocalyptic wasteland with the vermin in control. The have a vaguely Persian culture, and some of PCs think I’m trying to make some sort of anti-middle east statement, when really I just think the Elves look cooler this way.

My “wood” elves believe (rightly) that magic is an alien intrusion/infection on the world, and as inherently magical beings they’re “unclean.” They detest magic, but have found a loophole that they can cast morphing/shape shifting spells on themselves since they’re already “corrupted.”

My Dwarves have more in common with China, and East Asia in general, than the Scot/Viking stereotype. They also believe the world is completely cyclic, meaning all events that happen now have happened before and will happen again, and all mortals are constantly reincarnated to play their part though names and dates change throughout history.

My Goblins I just rolled all the Halfling, Gnome, and Goblin stereotypes into one race.

Orcs are completely emotionless eugenically bred slave race for the Elves, and any orc with a desire for freedom is exiled along with his/her siblings into human lands so as not to pollute the breeding stock. The exiles also serve as a kinda biological warfare against human kingdoms, as although first generation orcs are non-hostile, pure breed orcs without careful regulation of their breeding result in the mindless killers of old DnD.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Two reasons:

1. Because most people don't have the time and creativity to come up with a couple dozen cultures for each race.

2. Because, as humans, we see diversity in ourselves. However, we see a separate group as being a unified, almost stereotypical, group. With fantasy writing, we tend to lump them together as a single group because of this collectivist thought process. Often, it's not even obvious to us that we are doing it.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

In my campaign world, there are two coterminous planes that constitute what's typically the Prime Material Plane. I haven't decided on names yet, but one is the overworld, and the other is like the Underdark, but distances are warped like in the Minecraft nether

Races of the Light

Spoiler
    Show
    Humans: Vary depending on where in the world they are. Mostly they pick up elements from the local culture. The one empire that is predominantly human is based off feudal Japan

High Elves: Xenophobic and androgynous. Also, I was looking around Wikipedia at different naming schemes in languages, and found Hawaiian names, which are based in nature. It seemed even more fitting for elves when I read that all names are unisex

Dwarves: Is there any reason NOT to have Scandinavian dwarves?

Halfings: Live in a region based off the Appalachian Mountains. VERY welcoming. As in if someone really wanted, they could probably never have to buy a room in an inn, instead just moving from house to house each night, probably with disguises

Gnomes: Imperialistic. They have a massive trading empire located in pretty much the Great Sea from Wind Waker.

Dromites: Imagine that island in Discworld where they built the space pod.

Taiga Giants: Nomadic. Indifferent to the smaller races unless provoked

Races of the Dark

Spoiler
    Show
    Drow: Evil elves? I haven't really decided yet

Kobolds: Very structured society. They have a caste system based on scale color, using variant PF rules that give an extra LA +0 ability depending on color

Fire Giants: CE race. Haven't fleshed them out much more than that

Maybe a few other races. I haven't fleshed out this part of the world yet.
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

I find some of the older 'spicing ups' have been used so often they are cliche themselves - noble savage orcs or fey amoral elves and so on so I usually tinker rather than change outright.

for instance rather than living underground my evil Elves are viking like raiders with pale skin and blonde hair, who live in the cold northern forests and wield ice based magic while my evil Dwarves were driven from the mountains and skulk around in the marshes, some drifting to the human cities to ply their talent for assassination. This means that humans more often experience the evil subraces rather than the good ones since the good aligined live in seclusion in woods and mountains. The traditional High Elves and Hill Dwarves are still there and might even outnumber their wayward cousins but that is not what the average person knows...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

If you really want to switch things up, play the races as they're described by Tolkien. Fantasy trope races are based on his work but have diverged so far from it that his is now different.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    A starting point is to mix them with a generic culture and see where it goes. Like Viking Elves, (cannibal) Halfling Bushmen, Inca Dwarves, Indian Hobgoblins, Polynesian Orcs, and so on. Doesn't even need to be historically accurate, just use it as a first concept to develop into a unique culture.
    I did something similar, except taking two cultures and mixing them. Gnomes, for instance, were Mexican-Japanese.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    If you really want to switch things up, play the races as they're described by Tolkien. Fantasy trope races are based on his work but have diverged so far from it that his is now different.
    Yes.

I may be mistaken, but I recall a sense of sad, falling grandeur from the Elves of Tolkien.

A fast fading race from earth.
    On a quest to marry Asmodeus, lord of the Nine Hells, or die trying.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
    So, what is the point in having other species? If you're treating them as being basically human, similarly powered to humans with similar goals to humans and similar flaws, why bother having them? They're basically just humans at that point. What's the difference between a dwarf and a human mining culture? If you remove dwarfs from being a playable race, you open up your world to allowing more interesting dwarfs that the players can interact with.

If you really must play with humans in funny masks, you probably should make different cultures for each of them.
    A better idea is to build nations so that they are not racially homogenous.

The dwarves, gnomes, and humans of Gaia all favor pastoral lifestyles and orphans are sent to the mountain monasteries where they achieve enlightenment by studying martial arts (or meditating and getting fat, but you don't hear much about those monks). The dwarvish brewmasters of Gaia are legendary, but most of the gnomish religions advocate temperance (because it's easy to be taken advantage of while drunk).

Meanwhile, the humans, half-elves, and dragonborn of Cornelia all belong to various noble families, even the peasants proudly trace their lineage back to one duke or another and fancy themselves temporarily embarrassed lords and ladies. Dragonslaying is an honorable (if dangerous) profession. The dragonborn have the greatest amount of wealth (but are legally prevented from owning land) and most of their resources are used to fund and employ various orders of knight-mercenaries.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2012-11-29 at 11:40 PM.
    "...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

Check out our zombie survival sandbox video game!